Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Game in build stages
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Critias @ Nov 10 2007, 12:31 AM)
If anyone wants to toss up their character's name (especially either of you other mages, I need someone later in the story to have been helping teach him how to sling mojo) here I can incorporate you into the story (albeit rather briefly) and just add a little detail to it.

Bedlam. Though I don't know if you'd want him teaching you how to work magic. He's a bit of his rocker when it comes to magical philosophy (especially when he starts going on about his lifetime in Faerieland).
Critias
The most recent I've got is the old Seattle Sourcebook, and they're listed as blue and green. I'm certainly fine with the change or update or whatever, though. Black and _______ is innately just easier/cooler.

Doc -- you might have to be my teacher by default, if no one else chimes in. Don't worry, it's just a short "summoning the mana the way so-and-so tried to teach him" sort of fluff sentence. Nothing elaborate, and it's all there to show my character's Gaesa anyhow (so frustration and/or differences in method make perfect sense). Good to know you're a nutter, though.
Fortune
QUOTE (Critias)
The most recent I've got is the old Seattle Sourcebook, and they're listed as blue and green.

Weird. Runner Havens just has their colors listed as being 'green'. I distinctly recall them being black and green from the early books though. frown.gif

Oh well, don't really care that much. Being that it is now only listed as 'green', we can both be right. biggrin.gif
Fortune
Oh, and my character's nickname is Claymore, but he's probably not going to be much help in the teaching department. wink.gif
Critias
*smack* Runner Havens. Forgot to even check there. I used to have New Seattle (apparently it got lost some time during the four times I've moved since I recall seeing it last), but I never even though to take a look at RH.

Anyways, I'll edit it to just say "green leathers" and leave it at that. I mean, when in doubt (for Shadowrunners especially) black goes with everything, anyways!
Ol' Scratch
I vote we change the colors to pink and purple. Takes a real man to pull that off.
fistandantilus4.0
I'd always thought it was black and Green as well, with reds thrown in liberally as any good anarchists would. biggrin.gif
Ol' Scratch
But that's not pink and purple. frown.gif
Fortune
I have no problem with pink and purple ... and neither does my character. biggrin.gif
Fortune
Elven Fire has them wearing black and green. I knew it! biggrin.gif
fistandantilus4.0
Holy Fuck Fortune! I think you've just set a new record for length of a character sheet!

Give me a night or so to go over it and I'll get back to you. I need to rest up first, maybe hook up an IV so I don't die from starvation before I dive in!
Ol' Scratch
He's just using massive walls of text to hide his min/maxing! Don't fall for it!
Fortune
Bah! Who needs to hide their min-maxing when the character is perfect? wink.gif biggrin.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Nov 11 2007, 09:04 AM)
Holy Fuck Fortune!  I think you've just set a new record for length of a character sheet!

You wanted something good, and bugged me till I sent it, and then do nothing but bitch. Typical! ohplease.gif biggrin.gif

Oh, and I think Toby's sheet was longer ... the file is at least 6kb bigger. This one has a little more 'fine detailing' though. wink.gif grinbig.gif
Critias
Story's done, for those who are interested.

Character sheet almost is. Waiting on a final yes/no on how something works from Fisty, then (depending on the answer) I've got one last bit of math to go over. Right now it's just icing, though, the cake's all done.
Critias
Crap. One last dumb question on character creation. I remember getting free Contacts (based mathematically on Charisma) with the first few characters I made in SR4. I can't find any mention of it anywhere in the rulebook now, but can't find the recruitment threads for those long-dead games, either.

Can anyone confirm for me that this was just a popular house rule? Or is it somewhere in the rulebook, and I'm just not seeing it?
Cthulhudreams
it's a house rule. (I'm pretty sure) a popular one.
Critias
Okay. Despite that tossing a monkeywrench into my points totals (argh, I hate shaving stuff off!) I'm not officially crying that we use it or anything. We've got enough free points as is -- I mostly just wanted clarification on it, so I'd feel better one way or the other instead of making myself crazy trying to find it in the book.
Ol' Scratch
If it helps, you can pretty much have an infinite number of Connection 1/Loyalty 1 contacts for free under Frank's system. He effectively lowers all raitings by 1 for purposes of determining how much they cost.

They're not much, but they're something. Particularly useful if you just want to have a few minor contacts to fill in the holes of your background and whatnot, like Carl the Cutpurse or whatever.
Fortune
It's kind of hard to find in his thread, so I will summarize the rule for you ...

* Each BP spent for Contacts gives you 3 Contact Points.

* Contacts are available with either a Connection or Loyalty rating of 0 to 5.

* Costs for Contacts are calculated by multiplying the Loyalty by the Connection ratings. This cost is paid in Contact Points (as calculated above).

This means that a 5/5 Contact would cost 25 Contact Points, or 8 1/3 BP, but lower level Contacts are progressively cheaper to acquire. For instance, a 3/3 Contact would only cost 9 CP, or 3 BP, and a 1/3 Contact would only be 3 CP or 1 BP.

On that note, I forgot about the 'level 0' rule, and will now have to rework my entire Contact list ... which is no mean task! eek.gif
Critias
Danke.
Fortune
Feedback!

Just wait ... you think the last draft was comprehensive. biggrin.gif wink.gif
fistandantilus4.0
OK I have sheets in from Callidus, Fortune, and Doc. Waiting on Crit's. Got some vicious bastards and some well rounded characters. you know who you are. biggrin.gif Fortune, still going back over your sheet again to try and remember everything biggrin.gif Let me know if you are indeed going to be putting out another draft.

Now that I have a solid idea of what I've got to work with and what everyone is playing as, I'll get everything organized and get this game rolling ASAP.
Fortune
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Let me know if you are indeed going to be putting out another draft.

You mean you really have to ask? Of course I am. biggrin.gif

The question would be more correctly put as ... Am I going to be putting out only one other draft? wink.gif
Ol' Scratch
I'll have one final draft coming soon as well. And emphasis on "final." Mostly made the changes you requested, but also juggled a few other things around in the interim.
Fortune
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
... Mostly made the changes you requested ...

Hmmmmph! And he hasn't even given me any feedback about my character. frown.gif wink.gif
fistandantilus4.0
OK ao I have final draft coming from Doc, a version that so far callidus and I are agreed on (except some minor things IIRC) and Fortune's isstill "in progress". Crit and I are clearing up some little details as well.

Reember folks, especially Gallidus, the more fluff I have , the more meat around the bones, the more points you'll get to work with. Just gave Crit a bunch for his fiction piece. Fortune gets 3 more BP for IC answers to his 20Q (when he eventually answered it).
Fortune
Bonus. smile.gif

The real reason that he is a 'work in progress' is that I didn't want to send a revised draft without actually knowing what to revise. nyahnyah.gif

Of course, in reality, I will stop only tweaking when you actually start the game. biggrin.gif
Critias
Crit and I are clearing up some little details as well.

You should have a copy in about...*glances at the time*...six hours. Now that I got the answers I needed, I've just got to get home from work and shave a few things off to account for the change in Qualities, and I should be all set.

Sorry for bein' the last in, guys. Hopefully I'm not holding everything up.
Got some vicious bastards and some well rounded characters. you know who you are.

What, everyone else can't be both at once? wink.gif
Fortune
So, I sent a new draft a few hours ago ... and not even 30 seconds after clicking send, another little change occurred to me. biggrin.gif
Critias
PMs are away, Fisty.

I sent two -- one with barebones stats and numbers and whatnot, and one with heavy quote tags to bracket it all up, and explanations, sources, etc, for everything. Read whichever you like. wink.gif
fistandantilus4.0
Got the pMs. I had 8 PMs today, and 5 yesterday. Good God I am glad I'm checking my mail regularly. biggrin.gif I'm going to take some time and copy all the character sheets and back grounds to seperate Word files on my comp so that I can dump some PM space (going on pg 7 now) and keep everything organized. Few minor nit picks I've sent out to some folks. Doc, still goign over your final draft. Crit and Fortune, yours looked good except for the cpouple things I sent your way.

Callidus, mind checking in there mate?
Fortune
Is that it? The total amount of feedback you are going to give me is to point out 2 non-mistakes? I know I'm close to perfect, but still ... nyahnyah.gif biggrin.gif
fistandantilus4.0
No it ins't. I've jsut still got my waders on. Your char sheet always take time to go over. And i've got Crit's to go through the deatils of, and Docs. Right now I'm going and doing touch up checks. I havne't even given out much in the way of CSP for good wrtie ups except for Crti's for his posted fiction piece. Keep your suspenders on old man. smile.gif
Grinder
Your char sheet always take time to go over.

How long is his char sheet actually?
Critias
Six inches, but he tells everyone eight.

Zing!
Ol' Scratch
Sent my final sheet in earlier, and come Hell or high water, I'm done. Even if you hate it, I'm done. Complete. Through. Terminated. Case closed. Fini. <spits on the ground>
Grinder
QUOTE (Critias)
Six inches, but he tells everyone eight.

rotfl.gif
Critias
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Sent my final sheet in earlier, and come Hell or high water, I'm done. Even if you hate it, I'm done. Complete. Through. Terminated. Case closed. Fini. <spits on the ground>

What if he likes it so much you get -- cue dramatic music -- five more points to spend?
Fortune
QUOTE (Grinder)
How long is his char sheet actually?

Getting appreciably longer with each successive draft. wink.gif biggrin.gif
Grinder
Yeah. Thanks for that answer. nyahnyah.gif
Fortune
Well, what kind of specifics do you require?
Grinder
How many pages or wordcount?

Maybe my initial question was not clear enough. Hm.
Fortune
QUOTE (Grinder)
How many pages or wordcount?

Um, I honestly have no idea. It's just a character sheet, with the normal scattering of numbers and gear, with little descriptive bits thrown in wherever I can. Seriously, I wouldn't hold it up as a standard for anyone.
Critias
Anyone heard from Fisty in the last few days?
Grinder
No.
Ol' Scratch
I think the flying monkeys finally did their job.
Fortune
Hmmm ......
Critias
Well, if he's dead or something someone else has to run this mo'fo. I like this character too much to let it die with Fisty and Plan B!

Okay, okay. Just kidding. I hope they're both fine and maybe just lost internet access or something for a few days. We all know how RL can pop up and trip us from time to time.
Callidus
Sorry guys hit a writers block the size of Texas but back again. PMing over the backgrounds and reworking my contacts after seeing Fortune's post about Frank's contact system (Ta mate *8->) as that recooped 16 1/3 BP.... time for more contacts I think *8->

Oh and his name's Aero *8->
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012