Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Best Movies For Sr
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
martindv
QUOTE (kzt)
Your mage isn't part of an initiation group that will offer assistance? Why not?

Let me explain this very simply.

While the PC(s) can perform a ritual, or grab some folks to help them with a ritual, or they can send a spirit of whatever sort, there are in SR various countermeasures which exist to prevent them from being a cure-all. If the goal of the game is to create a mystery, then it would stand to reason that a GM who isn't a drooling simp would go about using countermeasures so that the game doesn't last all of ten minutes in-game.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (martindv)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Jan 7 2008, 01:39 PM)
Also, Magic tends to kill a lot of the mystery and intrigue when one can get together with a couple other mages and do a ritual locate or send a watcher/spirit off on an astral search.

Only if magic works one-way, which it doesn't. And in a SR game if it did then something is grossly out of whack.

...well in 3rd ed it meant having a lot of wards and an underground facility or two to confound search/locate attempts and prohibit astral incursion.

In 4th edition, wards and being below ground don't seem to offer as much resistance. You put a mage and a couple spirits there to bolster the defences and the PCs go "ah, there must be something worthwhile here because there's a mage with spirits just hanging out."
Hocus Pocus
citizen kane
Kyoto Kid
...excellent choice.
Fortune
Just watched The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, and all the way through I kept picturing how it would work really well as a Shadowrun game for a smallish group.
Hocus Pocus
classic man.

Tuco is awesome! have a gaesa that after every guy he killed he has to cross himself. Gun adepts ftw

"there are two kinds of people in this world senior. Those who walk in through the door *crosses himself* and those who come in through the window."
Hocus Pocus
how about the purported first motion picture ever?

The director mysteriously disappeared before going to New York for his presentation. Looks like ole Tommy Edison took out Louis Aimé Augustin Le Prince to take the credit. Did I hear someone say shadowrun?

just think. look at those people, basically 120 years ago. Long since gone, a brief moment of their lives caught forever.
schwartz
OH MY GOD-heheh read the 5 pages of this threads "father" that was linked on the first page. And the 3 pages on this thread.Hew. Know what though-I nearly cried when I saw a listing of like 5 OTHER threads with the same basic idea. I kinda skipped those cause. So, while I CAN'T gurentee that my choices were NEVER used, I think I can say I did my homework and hopefully add something NEW to the conversation.

1) ELfen Leid-New race of humanity is spawned by a virus and the subjects are either killed or kept in a secret facility for "observation." Dont know what's up with the "it might be anime but"-type comments I saw (forget if it was this thread or the liked "father thread"-after reading 8 pages of suggestions of movies, you tell me which thread something was on wink.gif ). So keeping in the same vein, "It may be anime but," I thought it had relevence to the SR universe. And if not in yours, then perhaps in another poster.

2) La Femme Nikita. While I am less certain that THIS choice would be original, I have to give a nod to one of my favorite TV series (oh and maybe the movie Too?).
martindv
QUOTE (Hocus Pocus @ Jan 28 2008, 01:20 AM) *
how about the purported first motion picture ever?

The director mysteriously disappeared before going to New York for his presentation. Looks like ole Tommy Edison took out Louis Aimé Augustin Le Prince to take the credit. Did I hear someone say shadowrun?

just think. look at those people, basically 120 years ago. Long since gone, a brief moment of their lives caught forever.

This is a job for The Five Fists of Science!
Stahlseele
did Mean Guns get mentioned allready?
DocTaotsu
I'm surprised El Mariachi didn't make this list. I'd also like to pimp my current favorite cyberpunk fiction:

Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex (The TV series, both seasons)

Holy christ, the only thing it doesn't have is magic. We have rigged drones, hardcore AR, cyber samurai, rogue AI's, cyberlimb hacking, discussions of what it means to be truly human. And people get shot in the face with Ex-Ex ammo and explode heroically. I'd be very surpised to hear that the people who wrote the updated background for 4th ed didn't watch this show and go "We should put that in SR." I haven't seen Solid State Society but it sounds like a classic "Burned out Spec Ops sami goes her own way due to her growing dissatisfation."

Also, they have a sniper who shoots people with the aid of telemetry beamed from orbit. That freakin rocks.

I think Seven Samurai also deserves mention. I mean... it has actual samurai.

Hell, Dreams makes excellent source material for astral quests and using spirits (personal demons? Oh yeah, in spades).

God I can't remember the name but there is a great movie out there about a blind ronin, gambler, masseues that has some very tasty shadowrun flavor.

I'd also suggest anything written by Raymond Chandler and his contemporaries.
mattness pl
QUOTE (tisoz @ Jan 4 2008, 08:20 PM) *
Maybe someone will take some initiative and compile an alphabetized list of all past movies (and comments) from previous threads, then when a new Movie thread opens, instead of just posting past links, they could post the actual past movies and comments. A list like this that could be added to would be a nice resource.

I made it 2 years ago, compiled lists of suggestion from:
- old DS movie threat
- our polish forum,
- add some from friendly postapo board (CFS fits gr8 for "Mad Max", Tank girl themes etc.)
- and submitions from cyberpunkreview.com
- 100 SR-like movie lists (iirc http://uol.dumpshock.com ?)

http://pl.shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Filmy

Titles are mixed (polish-english), but maybe that will help.
If you want to copy that to some other wiki, feel free (I know 2 SR wikis: 6th world, but only sourcebooks made there - other is old NPC wiki on wikia ( http://shadowrun.wikia.com/ ). Maybe there will be a place for Shadowrun-like movie list).

Gravedigging! (I should say sorry, but I really find it pointless to start topic no.64 with movies in title)

I didn't expect that Hollywood gonna make Shadowrun themed movie.
Until now. The movie should be called Bug City (it's SO similiar to 6th World Chicago).
Instead, they called it pretty lame:

Infestation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mpVIqWXtOs
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012