Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time for Another Shadowrun Fiction Contest
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
tisoz
I am holding another Shadowrun fiction contest.

I will try to answer the questions I always get, sometimes several times during the thread.

Deadline: I would like to run it similar to last time, that is, waiting until I get 10 submissions. (or half a dozen and the contest has drug on so long people forgot they submitted an entry, my call.) I always try to keep everyone updated on the progress of submissions as I receive them, so everyone can follow how the process is playing out. So there is no firm deadline - just when I get 10 submissions.

There is always the prospect of a future contest, so if you did not get it done in time for this one hold onto it for the next one.

Subject: I have asked that the stories conform to SR rules, meaning no time travel, meaning werewolves are animals that change into human form not humans bitten by other werewolves during the full moon, meaning etcetera. If you can pull it off while conforming to the rules, go for it.

In the past, I have had trouble with stories that seemed to deliberately try to skirt this issue. Since there is a new edition out and people still playing older editions that do not conform well with the new rule set, if your story makes use of an edition specific rule, for example the spirit wealth power, please note the edition in the header of the story after the title or around the authors name.

There is no specific topic other than A shadowrun story. The specific topic contests did not get many submissions. Readers may suggest topics, but that does not guarantee anyone writing them. But who knows, maybe it will get the creative juices going and inspire someone to write about a suggested topic. Maybe it cures someones writer's block.

Limitations: A man aught to know his limitations. Conform to SR rules.

UNPUBLISHED: This is about the only way to really get disqualified. Do not submit stories that have appeared on other websites or been previousely published. The point of the contest is to fill our hunger for fresh fiction. I have read a lot of fiction spread across the web. So have others that I hope will rat you out if you want to recycle a story.

Length: Long enough to tell the story, short enough to avoid ADD. An editor could help here.

You can write a War and Peace length novel as far as I am concerned, but make it a bit livelier than W&P or it will probably not be read by many who have also not bothered reading W&P. The only real problem with a lengthy submission (other than boredom) is making the page take longer to load when all the submissions are posted. My hint is to save the page and read it offline.

Postage: To keep from excluding long range submissions, I ask the winners to pay postage on the prize so I do not get hit with high shipping costs. I have also volunteered to deliver prizes in person at GenCon to avoid all shipping charges.

Prizes: Winner gets to choose from Shadowrun books. In the past I have only limited the selection once, and that was to 3 books. I forgot to include the option of novels. That happened to be the time I thought the winner was trying to skirt the contest rules. Other winners asked for a specific book and I awarded it. Last contest, I had some credit with the company store and extended the offer to also include any product they carried. I still have store credit left.

Submission Guide
I have the authors send me their story by Private Message.
Use the story title as the Message Title. If the title leaves room to add Fiction Entry, you should add that. This makes it a lot easier to manage the entries from the inevitable questions I will get concerning the contest (or Moderator Warnings, since I seem to be the leader in that category. )

Next, I have found the simplest way to get the correct formatting is for me to use the quote function on the story/message I received and copy it into a post. So authors can check their submissions the same way to get the formatting correct. Every now and then I still have to go through a submission line by line inserting italics and paragraph breaks which gets tedious, which makes me mad, which prejudices me against a story. (I will note that the most tedious story I posted overcame the bias to win.) I do accept and post edits to stories until the contest is concluded. Hopefully, the new board software will not screw me in this respect.

If you would like your story edited prior to submission, ask. I will do it and/or forward it to a volunteer. There is one author I can think of that I like the content of his stories (and he has previousely won) but the stories always need some editing. I will not hold poor grammar against someone who asks for help editing it before submitting it for posting. I have seen comments about poor grammar hindering a story's chance for winning.

Post Submission Edits: If submissions are still being taken, just resend the story with version 1.1 appended to the title. Or 1.2 or however many edits you have sent. I'll delete any prior copies and post the newest.
For example: You submit Who Cries for the Street Sam? then send a revision. Please title it: Who Cries for the Street Sam?1.1.

FAQ:
We have to use English?

It will greatly hinder your chance of winning if the ultimate judge (myself) cannot read the story. I barely understand the written English language, I have almost no comprehension of other languages.

I'd need at least a month to do the writing.

Good for you.

A month seems pretty quick when remembering previous contests. 2 months did not seem long enough to get more than a couple entries.

4 point type?

Triple spacing?

half spacing, where the letters actually overlap?
...and in cursive?

If you insist.

I would make it as reader friendly as possible because if it does not get read, you will not win. I would just as soon see the default 12 pt used by Dumpshock as well as the standard for DS posts of double spacing between paragraphs. The contest is appearing on DS and is going to be read mainly by DS regulars, so post to their taste. Personally, my eyes are getting worse all the time and 14 pt is appreciated. smile.gif

If you are not the writer type, you might paticipate by suggesting storylines or topics you would like to see (inspire someone else), or volunteer to edit/proofread if you have the ability and an interest in helping there.
ludomastro
I'd love to try my pen .... uh, keyboard ... at writing.
JBlades
Yes! *slaps arm* but I'm a reader, not a writer...

I would make myself available to edit/proofread, also. Let me know. smile.gif
hyzmarca
QUOTE (tisoz)
If you are planning on entering, say so, then we can chide you for not getting it in. smile.gif If you are not the writer type, you might paticipate by suggesting storylines or topics you would like to see (inspire someone else), or volunteer to edit/proofread if you have an interest in helping there.

Can the storie involves 18th Century English poet William Blake being mysteriously reincarnated as an unstoppable killing machine?
Critias
I'd like to very hesitantly toss my name into the hat. It'll just depend on when the deadline is, what theme/topic gets picked (if any), and how busy I am with this freelance nonsense.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (tisoz @ Jan 3 2008, 02:56 AM)
If you are planning on entering, say so, then we can chide you for not getting it in. smile.gif  If you are not the writer type, you might paticipate by suggesting storylines or topics you would like to see (inspire someone else), or volunteer to edit/proofread if you have an interest in helping there.

Can the storie involves 18th Century English poet William Blake being mysteriously reincarnated as an unstoppable killing machine?

it's shadowrun, so why not?
people would probably write something like slash about an cyber-zombie and the dragon firewing *shudders*
Critias
QUOTE (Stahlseele)
people would probably write something like slash about an cyber-zombie and the dragon firewing *shudders*

Yeah, 'cause God knows that's exactly what the previous SR fiction contests have been full of.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Damien Knight writhed with passion in his lover's arms, feeling the warmth of the embrace, the pure animal lust they felt for each other, the girth and hardness of his partner's member. He groaned with pleasure, stroking its scaly length, fit for a king� or a President.

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...40&hl=president

Okay, not one of Tisoz' Contests, but still. One of these days Kagetenshi should post a full length version of that story.
Critias
No he shouldn't. Bleargh.
Kool Kat
I'd be willing to write about my Russian Sammie lovingly nicknamed Mister Moscow. Deadlines? Limitations? Details needed.
Zen Shooter01
Yeah, what the hell, I'm in. But I'd need at least a month to do the writing.
The Red Menace
What about an idea on how long it should be? Short story? 500 page novel?
Karaden
QUOTE (The Red Menace)

No, nothing that long. Only 499 pages are required... in 4 point type.
Konsaki
QUOTE (Karaden)
QUOTE (The Red Menace @ Jan 3 2008, 11:35 AM)

Triple spacing?
Karaden
QUOTE (Konsaki)
QUOTE (Karaden @ Jan 4 2008, 01:52 AM)

Triple spacing?

half spacing, where the letters actually overlap.
Konsaki
QUOTE (Karaden)
QUOTE (Konsaki @ Jan 3 2008, 12:12 PM)

Triple spacing?

Reading that hogwash will be quite a feat...
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Karaden)
QUOTE (Konsaki @ Jan 3 2008, 12:12 PM)

Triple spacing?

...and in cursive.
Fortune
QUOTE (Konsaki @ Jan 4 2008, 04:06 AM)

Good thing we have JBlades as a proofreader then. biggrin.gif
Shadowrunner13
I could try and give it a shot. Love writing, but time is at a premium. Would it be topic specific or just "write a Shadowrun story"?

SR13
Zen Shooter01
I have no objection to suggestions, but I state now my categorical opposition to required topics, themes, settings, or any other restriction except word count and English.
Karaden
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
I have no objection to suggestions, but I state now my categorical opposition to required topics, themes, settings, or any other restriction except word count and English.

Wait, we have to use English? Forget that.

J/K. I agree, I'd prefer fewer restrictions, so are there any on word count or some such?
Jaid
QUOTE (Stahlseele)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jan 3 2008, 05:05 AM)
QUOTE (tisoz @ Jan 3 2008, 02:56 AM)
If you are planning on entering, say so, then we can chide you for not getting it in. smile.gif  If you are not the writer type, you might paticipate by suggesting storylines or topics you would like to see (inspire someone else), or volunteer to edit/proofread if you have an interest in helping there.

it's shadowrun, so why not?

so... shedim then?
Fortune
Nah ... he's an I.E. wink.gif biggrin.gif
Glayvin34
I'll write a story. I'm taking over GM for my group, so I'm all full of SR lore. Ready for the word count when you are.
JBlades
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Konsaki @ Jan 4 2008, 04:06 AM)

Good thing we have JBlades as a proofreader then. biggrin.gif

Oh, you will pay, Fortune, you will pay! *shakes fist*

lol biggrin.gif
knasser

Well I'll submit an entry. Point worth making - I don't think contest is the main element, but we should be avoiding saying "I'm writing about a character called X" to avoid mucking up the anonymity.

I actually have a story ready written which has now been accepted three times by editors for the Shadowrun site web-fiction (the editors keep changing and one accepted my story twice). But it's been over a year of waiting for them to bring back the fiction and I've now been referred to the next editor in the chain. So I may just submit that to the competition. I wrote it because I wanted to contribute something to Shadowrun (it's not like you get paid) and it's doing nothing sitting in someone's inbox month after month.

Okay, rant over. This is a 'yes' from Nasser Press. wink.gif

-K.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Fortune)

Nah, more like Quicksilver from Imago, but within the crazy Ghost in the Machine action.

And totally ripped off from a Johnny Depp film.
Fortune
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

Gilbert Grape?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jan 4 2008, 12:55 PM)

Gilbert Grape?

Dead Man, a 1995 Acid Western. Depending on who you ask it is either sub-mediocre or the best film of the late 20th Century. I subscribe to the latter theory.
tisoz

I have asked that the stories conform to SR rules, meaning no time travel, meaning werewolves are animals that change into human form not humans bitten by other werewolves during the full moon, meaning etcetera. If you can pull it off while conforming to the rules, go for it.

In the past, I have had trouble with stories that seemed to deliberately try to skirt this issue. Since there is a new edition out and people still playing older editions that do not conform well with the new rule set, if your story makes use of an edition specific rule, for example the spirit wealth power, please note the edition in the header of the story after the title or around the authors name.

Speaking of authors names, I leave them out when posting the stories for vote, adding them at the conclusion of the contest.

Would it be topic specific or just "write a Shadowrun story"?

Deadlines? Limitations? Details needed.

The specific topic contests did not go so well, so any SR story. Readers may suggest topics, but that does not guarantee anyone writing them. But who knows, maybe it will get the creative juices going and inspire someone to write about a suggested topic. Maybe it cures someones writer's block.

DEADLINE: What has worked best in the past seems to be to set a number for submissions and end the contest when the allotment is filled. The Polling feature I use to allow Dumpshockers to voice their opinion and vote restricts the number to 10. I have always tried to keep everyone updated on the progress of submissions as I receive them, so everyone can follow how the process is playing out. So there is no firm deadline - just when I get 10 submissions (or in the event I get about a half dozen and interest seems to have dried up, I'll post them then.) There is always the prospect of a future contest, so if you did not get it done in time for this one hold onto it for the next one.

LIMITATIONS: As has been stated, conform to SR rules. Length - Long enough to tell the story, short enough to avoid ADD. An editor could help here. You can write a War and Peace length novel as far as I am concerned, but make it a bit livelier than W&P or it will probably not be read by many who have also not bothered reading W&P. The only real problem with a lengthy submission (other than boredom) is making the page take longer to load when all the submissions are posted. My hint is to save the page and read it offline. Postage To keep from excluding long range submissions, I ask the winners to pay postage on the prize so I do not get hit with high shipping costs. I have also volunteered to deliver prizes in person at GenCon to avoid all shipping charges. Prizes Winner gets to choose from Shadowrun books. In the past I have only limited the selection once, and that was to 3 books. Other winners asked for a specific book and I awarded it. Last contest, I had some credit with the company store and extended the offer to also include any product they carried.
UNPUBLISHED: This is about the only way to really get disqualified. Do not submit stories that have appeared on other websites or been previousely published. The point of the contest is to sate our hunger for fresh fiction. I have read a lot of fiction spread across the web. So have others that I hope will rat you out if you want to recycle a story.

I'd need at least a month to do the writing.

A month seems pretty quick when remembering previous contests. 2 months did not seem long enough to get more than a couple entries.

Triple spacing?

...and in cursive.

Submission Guide
I have the authors send me their story by Private Message. The page may be reached by clicking on the "0 new messages" control in the upper right portion of the page. Use the story title as the Message Title. If the title leaves room to add Fiction Entry, you may add that. This makes it a lot easier to manage the entries from the inevitable questions I will get concerning the contest (or Moderator Warnings, since I seem to be the leader in that category. smile.gif)

Next, I have found the simplest way to get the correct formatting is for me to use the quote function on the story/message I recieved and copy it into a post. So authors can check their submissions the same way to get the formatting correct. Every now and then I still have to go through a submission line by line inserting italics and paragraph breaks which gets tedious, which makes me mad, which prejudices me against a story. wink.gif I do accept and post edits to stories until the contest is concluded.

If you would like your story edited, ask. I will do it and/or forward it to a volunteer. There is one author I can think of that I like the content of his stories (and he has previousely won) but the stories always need some editting. I will not hold poor grammar against someone who asks for help editing it before submitting it for posting. I have seen comments about poor grammar hindering a story's chance for winning.

We have to use English?

It will greatly hinder your chance of winning if the ultimate judge (myself) cannot read the story. I barely understand the written English language, I have almost no comprehension of other languages.

QUOTE (knasser)
I actually have a story ready written which has now been accepted three times by editors for the Shadowrun site web-fiction (the editors keep changing and one accepted my story twice). But it's been over a year of waiting for them to bring back the fiction and I've now been referred to the next editor in the chain. So I may just submit that to the competition. I wrote it because I wanted to contribute something to Shadowrun (it's not like you get paid) and it's doing nothing sitting in someone's inbox month after month.

Long time no see, knasser. Welcome back.

Entering it here will probably disqualify it from being accepted by the official site. (And may prompt another rant how their submissions differ from my contest. wink.gif)
tisoz
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Jan 3 2008, 04:30 PM)

Nah, more like Quicksilver from Imago, but within the crazy Ghost in the Machine action.

See, I do not follow how the crap in Imago followed SR rules. I would rather not read a similarly concocted story.

If anyone wants to explain how Imago works within the SR rules (and I would not mind seeing it explianed as other than canon because it made it into print), please start another thread as this one will likely be convoluted enough.
HMHVV Hunter
So we have a few months yet?

I might want to get in on this.
tisoz
QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter)
So we have a few months yet?

I might want to get in on this.

Based on previous times, it will be about 3 months. But there seems to be a lot of interest and it sounds like 2 already completed stories, so maybe 2 months?

Don't let a possible missed floating deadline prohibit you from starting - there will likely be another contest after this one. And as I stated, I'll keep everyone updated as the submissions come in so we can see how things are progressing.
Fortune
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (Fortune)

Gilbert Grape?

Dead Man, a 1995 Acid Western. Depending on who you ask it is either sub-mediocre or the best film of the late 20th Century. I subscribe to the latter theory.

I was trying for funny. wink.gif

I actually figured that it was Dead Man from your comments in the Movie thread. smile.gif
Lagomorph
I've had a story brewing for a while, maybe I can make something of it and turn it in!
HMHVV Hunter
I don't plan on waiting by any means - I just may need some time given that I have a job that takes up a lot of my time.
bibliophile20
I'm in; the muse has been extremely talkative of late and having another outlet might help for those times when the other stories that I'm working on start flowing like honey in Maine in January.
eidolon
Fiction contest. Awesome.
tisoz
*bump*

... & an update.

No entries yet. Not worried, just keeping it somewhat fresh.
Zen Shooter01
I should have mine ready in a few more days.
ludomastro
Mine's started - work just got in the way the past couple of weeks.
knasser

Mine is "done". But depending on how long it takes for the actual competition to happen, I may complete and enter a different piece. The one I have at the moment is currently accepted (I was told so at least) for the Shadowrun webfiction, but it's been accepted for over a year now, so if nothing happens by the time your ready for it, I'll withdraw it and enter it here. If they publish it, I'll enter one of my other pieces. Let me know when your close to printing the submissions and I'll send it. How many are you waiting for?

-K.
MaxHunter
usually it is until he gets ten submissions / or just enough and he gets bored. Whatever comes first... =)

Cheers,

Max

P.S. good to see you back here K.
MaxHunter
usually it is until he gets ten submissions / or just enough and he gets bored. Whatever comes first... =)

Cheers,

Max

P.S. good to see you back here K.
knasser

Thanks. It's good to be back.
knasser
Thanks. It's good to be back.
Glayvin34
Definitely started, I hope to be done within the next week or so.
Glayvin34
Hey Alex and knasser, how many words do you you'll have when all is said and done? I'm hoping to be around 5,000, but after editing it could (should) be shorter.
knasser

Mine is just under 5,000 (about 50 under) because the Shadowrun site guidelines insisted on 5,000 word limit. I might tweak it to be a little more now I have the freedom, but if I do a different one in time to submit instead it may come in slightly shorter (or longer).

I wouldn't tie yourself to aiming for a particular length though. Write what suits the story.

-K.
ludomastro
Mine is still a work in progress. I have no idea how many words right now because I got started and then realized there was a giant hole that I had to fix. I ended up starting over so I have material that is still hanging in there but may not stay.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012