Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Immunity to Normal Weapons
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Stormdrake
In the Game level thread some one mentioned that the critter power "Immunity to Normal Weapons" had been updated. Can any one confirm this as I have not found any errata on the power. As it appears in the original hard copy SR4 main book it simply says that the power grants an immunity equal to twice its magic rating. That weapon DV's that come in below this do no harm. It says nothing about adding in extra successes or modifiers for burst or full auto. Any help would be appreciated.
Moon-Hawk
Well, the Immunity entry tells us that ItNW works like Hardened Armor, the entry for which tells us to use the modified DV. So really what we're looking for is the section where it says the modifications to DV from burst/auto fire don't count towards the modified DV. I'm looking for that part.
Demerzel
There appears to be no errata for the Immunity Power.

Errata 1.5 (the latest) is available here:
http://www.shadowrun4.com/wordpress/?p=157

Ther Immunity power appears on p.288 and spills over to p.289, and there is errata for Dual Natured on p287, then Psychokinesis on p290, so there appears to be no errata as of the most recent errata.

So the text in your book should be correct. Are you looking for a specific clarification? Can you give an example situation to interpret?
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Well, the Immunity entry tells us that ItNW works like Hardened Armor, the entry for which tells us to use the modified DV. So really what we're looking for is the section where it says the modifications to DV from burst/auto fire don't count towards the modified DV. I'm looking for that part.

That would be on page 143 in the autofire rules.

Note that his DV modifier does not apply when comparing the DV to the armor rating.

-Frank
Moon-Hawk
Right. There it is. Thanks Frank!

Stormdrake: All sorted out?
lunchbox311
slight derail:

Our group found the hardened armor rules to be too wonky... the all or nothing approach did not do well.

We instead proposed this idea:

when something has hardened armor it gets a number of automatic hits applied to the damage resistance test equal to 1/2 its rating (round UP) the other half of the dice are rolled as normal

So far this has worked well for us, vehicles and the like are very tough but do not need rocket launchers (or gunslinger adepts) to scare. Spirits are still a little tough but then again a high force spirit is supposed to be scary.

Example:

[ Spoiler ]

This has led to a more consistent damage soak in our games and does not create those strange variables where when the hardened armor is just exceeded that the vehicle (or whatever) suddenly falls apart into a heap of crap.

Thoughts?

Edit: spelling
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (lunchbox311)
Thoughts?

Hardened Armor is another thing that breaks at the high-end. I think your fix is more or less exactly how it should've worked in the first place.
It leaves the armor impervious to weak attacks. It makes the armor less impervious to moderate attacks. It makes the armor more effective against strong attacks. So it nicely smooths the destroyed-or-nothing effect which occurs for high hardened armor values.
Stormdrake
Just a follow up to this. I ask it because my players will, lol. If the DV + successes are greater than the critters hardened armor rating is the armor then negated or does the critter still get to add all the dice from the hardened armor into its damage resistance rolls? I can't see why it would be negated but figured I would ask.
Moon-Hawk
Yeah, if (base DV+net hits) is greater than the hardened armor rating, then the hardened armor is treated exactly like normal armor, and is rolled along with Body to resist (base DV+net hits+autofire modifiers)

edit: Unless you're doing it lunchbox311's way. I think his/her way is a good way and I'll probably start using it, but as with all house rules I recommend you do it "right" and see how it goes before you go fiddling with things.
Demerzel
They still get Body + Armor for resistance tests.
Dashifen
The critter still gets to roll its armor even if the DV is greater than it. In fact, if the armor is hardened, that's the only time that the critter needs to roll as the hardened armor will, otherwise, negate the attack!

@lunchbox311
I like that. My way was always to subtract the hardened armor rating from the DV and roll it all making vehicles and hardened critters very, very dangerous, but I think I might play around with your method for a bit and see if I like it better.
lunchbox311
QUOTE (Dashifen)

@lunchbox311
I like that.  My way was always to subtract the hardened armor rating from the DV and roll it all making vehicles and hardened critters very, very dangerous, but I think I might play around with your method for a bit and see if I like it better.

We tried the whole hardened armor value as automatic hits during a session but it was crazy. It happened to be a higher end run with the runners dealing with multiple Citymasters. They had access to AV rockets but those still make very small dents in the vehicles (took 3-4 rockets per Citymaster)

After that session we decided to use half automatic and half rolled.

It is really nice and does not add much overhead to the table (especially if you buy your hits with the leftover dicepool.)

@Moon-Hawk: HIS way cool.gif
deek
I like it...I have spent way too much time scratching my head as my players shot up an armored vehicle. Thinking that 10 hardened armor was safe and then them turning it to swiss cheese in a single IP...the all or nothing aspect really does suck.
FrankTrollman
I've been doing it like lunchbox's for some time, but not rolling the other half. Made AP very very good, and seemed to work rather well.

But I do like lunchbox's suggestion, seems like it'll make spirits poof a bit less when exposed to high end weaponry.

-Frank
Ryu
I like it, too. Nice approch, though we shall wait for what Arsenal brings right now.
Fortune
So, for lunchbox's rules (or those who use a variant) ...

What figure do you use as a base to see if the attack actually bounced?

For example, assuming a Force 5 Spirit, would you use 10 (double Force, as in the rules), 5 (its Force, and the base use for 'auto-hits'), or 5 + net hits from the other 5 dice (which I think would be interesting, in that it inserts an unknown element into the equation)?
Ryu
I would have used the first, but the last is definitly more interesting.
Dashifen
I've always used the first option as well (double Force) mostly because it is indicated in the rules thusly.
Glyph
One thing to remember about spirits and their Immunity to Normal Weapons is that it works like hardened armor against normal attacks, but is negated by magical attacks. So an adept attacking an air spirit with a weapon focus, for example, will do normal damage, and in addition, the air spirit doesn't get any of that "armor" to roll to resist the attack with.
Dashifen
Are you sure? I always just assumed that by negating Hardened Armor, it became just "normal" armored.
Glyph
Yeah. Immunities are pretty strictly limited. Immunity to fire doesn't do a thing against electrical attacks, so immunity to normal weapons shouldn't do anything to stop magical attacks. Relevant quote from pg. 288, with emphasis:

this immunity applies to all weapons that are not magical (weapon foci, spells, adept or critter powers).
Kyoto Kid
...so this means if the Short One (#99) whacks at a spirit with her WF Katana, it only gets to roll it's effective Body to soak the damage?
Cardul
QUOTE (Glyph)
Yeah. Immunities are pretty strictly limited. Immunity to fire doesn't do a thing against electrical attacks, so immunity to normal weapons shouldn't do anything to stop magical attacks. Relevant quote from pg. 288, with emphasis:

this immunity applies to all weapons that are not magical (weapon foci, spells, adept or critter powers).

OOoooooo....Here is a neat little loophole with that: If I have bonelacing, and I punch something with immunity to normal weapons, then, it does not get its immunity, because my hand while, sure, is hitting harder because it has metal nt bone in there, is not a weapon!
Fortune
QUOTE (Cardul @ Jan 17 2008, 06:02 PM)
If I have bonelacing, and I punch something with immunity to normal weapons, then, it does not get its immunity, because my hand while, sure, is hitting harder because it has metal nt bone in there, is not a weapon!

Only if you also possess Killing Hands. A fist, even a fist lined with bone lacing, is still considered a normal weapon, just like it would be if it were a cyberlimb or packing brass knuckles.

I think you may have missed the part where it mentions that ItNW applies to pretty much everything non-magical.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...so this means if the Short One (#99) whacks at a spirit with her WF Katana, it only gets to roll it's effective Body to soak the damage?

Yes, exactly.

Now you get to ask: Why would people have Weapon Focus Katanas? And honestly I still can't answer that. Weapon Foci bypass Immunity to Normal Weapons and Regeneration and I still don't care.

-Frank
GentlemanLoser
WF are brilliant! wink.gif Adding thier Force as dice to your attack, which should result in extra damage.

The Astral stuff and being able to wack creatures on the Astral Plane with one when perceiving is just gravy.

It's all about the extra dice to hit! wink.gif
Cardul
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Cardul @ Jan 17 2008, 06:02 PM)
If I have bonelacing, and I punch something with immunity to normal weapons, then, it does not get its immunity, because my hand while, sure, is hitting harder because it has metal nt bone in there, is not a weapon!

Only if you also possess Killing Hands. A fist, even a fist lined with bone lacing, is still considered a normal weapon, just like it would be if it were a cyberlimb or packing brass knuckles.

I think you may have missed the part where it mentions that ItNW applies to pretty much everything non-magical.

Well, you see...one CAN tend to go with the literal approach. Simple fact is: I can go on a plane and keep my hands(for now), so they are not weapons.

Also, considering that your hands are living, while a weapon is not...I think if could actually be cool to face something that you shoot multiple times, and it shrugs off, but Bob the Troll gives it a massive uppercut, and you hear bones crack...

Admittedly, there is also the simple fact that the things that have Immunity to Normal Weapons are not things you would be engaging in hand-to-hand unless you were a Physical Adept in mst cases...because, well them against mundane fists=Runner becomes kibble...but, I could still see that. And, of course, if you don't have something libe bone density or bone-lacing, it will take a lout of pounding to take something down, anyway...
Stahlseele
I think if could actually be cool to face something that you shoot multiple times, and it shrugs off, but Bob the Troll gives it a massive uppercut, and you hear bones crack...

allways been like that, will allways be like that . . and it is good that way ^^
Cardul
QUOTE (Stahlseele)
I think if could actually be cool to face something that you shoot multiple times, and it shrugs off, but Bob the Troll gives it a massive uppercut, and you hear bones crack...

allways been like that, will allways be like that . . and it is good that way ^^

Exactly. Which is why I do not consider fists or feet to be "weapons", especially since naturally, they only deal stun damage. My GM might disagree..we will see waht she says after re-reading the rules on Immunity to Normal Weapons, but...I still think it is a cool image..
Stahlseele
it IS a cool image . . but only adepts with killing hands get to do that to ghosts, everybody else does attack of will or however that is called.
that uses i think willpower for strength or something like that.
Fortune
QUOTE (Cardul @ Jan 17 2008, 09:17 PM)
Simple fact is: I can go on a plane and keep my hands(for now), so they are not weapons.

Until you use them (or even threatened to use them) in an act of assault or violence of some kind. The same argument could be made for a bottle, or a table leg, or even another metahuman body. The fact remains that if something is used as a weapon in Shadowrun, then it is considered a weapon according to the rules. Fists (and even fists with bone lacing) have a listed damage base in the rules, and the is no mention of bone lacing (or any other normal implant) being inherently magical in nature. If that weapon is non-magical in nature, then ItNW applies.
Stahlseele
in fact, if you are a Boxer or Karate-Ka or Judo-Ka or any such thing, your Hands and feet at least, if not your whole body, are actually considered a lethal weapon . . if you happen to get involved in a brawl you're in deep shit if there's no proof of you acting in pure self defense . . i know a barkeeper, he's been a price boxer once and is big and strong and still training . . he does not defend himself because once when he did that he got into more trouble than the guy who attacked him exactly for that reason . .
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Jan 17 2008, 03:01 AM)

Yes, exactly.

Now you get to ask: Why would people have Weapon Focus Katanas? And honestly I still can't answer that. Weapon Foci bypass Immunity to Normal Weapons and Regeneration and I still don't care.

-Frank

....yikes, Short Stuff (#100, yay, the century mark) just became a whole lot nastier, even when using her Killing Hands.

QUOTE (Stahlseele)
n fact, if you are a Boxer or Karate-Ka or Judo-Ka or any such thing, your Hands and feet at least, if not your whole body, are actually considered a lethal weapon . . if you happen to get involved in a brawl you're in deep shit if there's no proof of you acting in pure self defense . . i know a barkeeper, he's been a price boxer once and is big and strong and still training . . he does not defend himself because once when he did that he got into more trouble than the guy who attacked him exactly for that reason .

...I know, the law is pretty twisted in that way. Where I live, If I shoot and possibly kill someone who is breaking into my place & threatening me, It's considered self defence. If I say whack him in the hand or leg with my Louisville Slugger or my fighting staff (with which I am trained) I'm up for assault and he's the victim even though I was not necessarily using lethal force. In my book, he gave up his rights to have me prosecuted by the nature of his act. However, let's not get into a lengthy derail about this here.
[/derail]
Stahlseele
yes, let's end this with the words:"your hands are not magical weapons, your hands are usual weapons . . at least if you are not an adept with killing hands or something similar . . and you know why? 'cause the books say so!" *g*
lunchbox311
QUOTE (Fortune)
So, for lunchbox's rules (or those who use a variant) ...

What figure do you use as a base to see if the attack actually bounced?

For example, assuming a Force 5 Spirit, would you use 10 (double Force, as in the rules), 5 (its Force, and the base use for 'auto-hits'), or 5 + net hits from the other 5 dice (which I think would be interesting, in that it inserts an unknown element into the equation)?

We use the 5+5
Force 5 spirit has 5 auto hits meaning ANY attack doing 5 or less does no damage.
Since the spirit gets 5 more dice to doll it can possibly shrug off a couple more, (statistically almost 2 more,) meaning there is a neat level of unknown potential for a situation.

@Frank: I concur that these rules do make AP weapons VERY usefull. They are now in high demand in my game like they should be, (and are justified in their extreme cost.)

Kyoto Kid
...makes that PJSS with EXEX (or APDS, if you can get it) a lot more worth the cost.
Fortune
QUOTE (lunchbox311)
We use the 5+5
Force 5 spirit has 5 auto hits meaning ANY attack doing 5 or less does no damage.
Since the spirit gets 5 more dice to doll it can possibly shrug off a couple more, (statistically almost 2 more,) meaning there is a neat level of unknown potential for a situation.

Thanks. That's probably the direction I would be leaning, should I use these rules. smile.gif
DTFarstar
My players will be fighting spirits this Saturday, I think I'm going to try this new rule. Not that it's needed, really. Freaking crazy troll adept.

Chris
Stahlseele
Freaking crazy troll adept

it's what they are there for, quit complaining *g*

hrm . . would power-throw bei considered as being magical enough to work against spirits and the such? probably not huh?
Kyoto Kid
...I would think if an adept also had Missile Mastery it would.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...I would think if an adept also had Missile Mastery it would.

Whoa, wait.....what?
Would it?
This would be HUGE in my gaming group. Does Missile Mastery make a thrown object non-normal, with respect to ItNW? Does power throw?
Granted most thrower builds have both, but does it?
pbangarth
I don't see anything that says Missile Mastery or Power Throw do anything by themselves or in concert to overcome ItNW.
Stahlseele
wasn't missle mastery the ability to snatch thrown things out of thin air? or was that missle parry? @.@
but yeah, think about it, this one power imbued the projectile with some energy from the adept to raise the damage von light to moderate in SR3 for example . . i think that would be a valid question O.o
Kyoto Kid
...don't have my sourcebook PDFs with me at the moment, but I thought there was something about items thrown by someone with Missile Mastery affecting targets with immunity to normal weapons. I could be in error.

As for Power throw, that just increases the DV of the attack the same as Critical Strike does for unarmed melee.
Limited Infinity
There's a perfectly fluff reason why hands are normal weapons. It's the mojo or will behind the attack that makes not normal. So your hands aren't actually doing the damage to a spirit. Yes you take your hands with you to astral, but you replace your strength with charisma. If you are not projecting then you make the force of will attack, but not strength.

I would not allow missile mastery to get past immunity.

A) most magic is severed once an item leaves the person. (see enchanting firearms)

B) I would see missile mastery more as a velocity, angle, trajectory than an enhanced missile.
Adarael
Power Throw + Missile Mastery + High Strength will generally penetrade ITNW just based on the gross level of damage a thrown weapon will inflict.
Sponge
QUOTE (lunchbox311)
Our group found the hardened armor rules to be too wonky... the all or nothing approach did not do well.

Thoughts?

Personally I think the Hardened Armor rule works very well for, well, armored targets such as military vehicles and the like. Take for example a tank: small arms and small-caliber cannon fire and the like simply do nothing - they bounce off, explode harmlessly on the armor, etc. If a shot is big enough and powerful enough to penetrate the armor, it's probably going to "kill" the tank, as whatever solid bits get through the armor are going to destroy whatever is behind it, whether that's the engine, ammunition, crew, or whatever.

Whether Spirits, supernatural critters, cyberzombies, and the like should really be using Hardened Armor or not is, to me, a different question (and I don't have an opinion on it as I'm not familiar with how those things work out in actual play).

DS
Stahlseele
I would not allow missile mastery to get past immunity.

A) most magic is severed once an item leaves the person. (see enchanting firearms)

B) I would see missile mastery more as a velocity, angle, trajectory than an enhanced missile.

i pretty much only agree with you on point B, up untill then i would ask why the thrown weapon does more damage if any magical effects just simply stop when the thrown object is leaving the hand of throwing adept . .
Fortune
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 18 2008, 08:20 AM)
... i would ask why the thrown weapon does more damage if any magical effects just simply stop when the thrown object is leaving the hand of throwing adept . .

Because the Adept's magic affects his aim and ability with the weapon. It does not make the throwing weapon magic in and of itself. Ranged magical weapons do not work in Shadowrun. It is one of the core foundations of the magic system. You could have a Weapon Focus dagger, which works just fine in your hand. The moment you throw it though, it loses any bonuses for being a Weapon Focus, reverting back to what is effectively a non-magical weapon until such time as it comes back into contact with the person to which it is Bonded (or is re-Bonded, whichever comes first).
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 18 2008, 08:20 AM)
... i would ask why the thrown weapon does more damage if any magical effects just simply stop when the thrown object is leaving the hand of throwing adept . .

Because the Adept's magic affects his aim and ability with the weapon. It does not make the throwing weapon magic in and of itself. Ranged magical weapons do not exist in Shadowrun. It is one of the core foundations of the magic system.

i know that bit about there not being any magical weapons in SR of course . . i'd just think that to improve his aim and ability with said weapons would come from improved attribute(whatever is used with throwing) and improved skill(throwing weapon) . . so what exactly does missle mastery DO?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012