Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spirits
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Fortune
QUOTE (E.O.T.L.F.)
ok so how much does a spirit cost in spell points and what book & page is this stated on?

Can't give you the page right now (but it's in the chargen section). The cost for pre-summoned Spirits at chargen is 1 Spell Point per point of Force plus two Spell Points per service owed. Each of your Force 4 Elementals with 4 services would cost 12 Spell Points.
Zolhex
Amazeing that this rule is not in any way refered to in the sections about spirits in either 3rd or mits it would be nice to have something point to this rule in the spirits sections seeing as the changes are minimal to second i never really read the cargen section just glanced over it. Which it also states that you can't start with more than 6 spirits.
Lilt
QUOTE (E.O.T.L.F.)
Now however I was inspired to make some changes as follows:

High life 12 months instead of 24 fewer credsticks less clothing reduced the conjuring library to 6 and a few other things.

Burned a magic point got level 4 muscle aug./toner stats now read:

[stats]

have an excess of 149,250 in resources to work with.

Question why use a browning that does 9m w/ a 10© instead of the pred. I chose that does 9m w/ a 15© more shots between reloads?

Well: Your character doesn't need strength. Unless you want to hit something or carry something heavy yourself I'd just get a low force (force 3 or so?) elemental to do it if it really matters. Also: the rounding down is done to the magic rating, not the 1/2ed bio index (by the example on their site)

You don't need the muscle aug anyway, a good body and quickness are the only musts. It might be a good idea to consider the dermal sheath-1 cyberware that adds two body and 1 impact armor for 24k (and .7 essence) from P28, M&M.

I'd suggest buying an alphaware dermal sheath and a rating two muscle toner whilst keeping your willpower at 6. Willpower isn't as important for non-spellcasters but it's still the linked attribute for the conjuring skill. You may want to consider taking some minor flaws so you could buy edges like bonus attribute point or something.

If you are going to reduce your magic rating with cyber/bioware then it becomes even more important to buy a power focus of some form to make-up for the loss. You could also geas the loss but then you'd be wanting to spend one of your initiations removing the geas, which I suppose is OK as a level 1 initiate can't do all that much (perhaps summon a force 4-5 great form spirit at a stretch).
Fortune
QUOTE (E.O.T.L.F.)
Amazeing that this rule is not in any way refered to in the sections about spirits in either 3rd or mits it would be nice to have something point to this rule in the spirits sections seeing as the changes are minimal to second i never really read the cargen section just glanced over it. Which it also states that you can't start with more than 6 spirits.

Why should it be in the Spirit section of anywhere when it specifically deals with character generation? The rules for starting Availability are not in the Gear section, even though they apply to gear, and the rule for the starting number of Spell Points for magicians is not in the Magic section. All of these are in the section on Character Generation because that is where they belong.
Zolhex
QUOTE (Lilt)
Also: the rounding down is done to the magic rating, not the 1/2ed bio index (by the example on their site)

dermal sheath-1 cyberware

Willpower isn't as important for non-spellcasters but it's still the linked attribute for the conjuring skill. You may want to consider taking some minor flaws so you could buy edges like bonus attribute point or something.

If you are going to reduce your magic rating with cyber/bioware then it becomes even more important to buy a power focus of some form to make-up for the loss.

Magic has a starting value equal to the character's Essence minus (Bio Index ÷ 2), rounded down. So a starting magician with Essence 5.8 and a Bio Index of 1 begins with a Magic rating of 5 (5.8 - 0.5 = 5.3, rounded down to 5). Direct copy from the sr site.

Essance 5.8
bio index 1
now as we see in the example 5.8 -0.5 not -1 = 5.3 round down. so if you say that the character has a full essance of 6 then - the 0.5 this character is at 5.5 round down you get 5.

as to cyber old school thinking cyber & magic bad bio better but still have issues with it.

next up will. you have a point so move a point from intell. to will. killed the mus. aug. 4 down to 2 added a cerebral 2.

as to any optional rules in the companion not allowed so no edges/flaws

lastly why do you think it is bad to start with less than a 6 magic in my oppion it is called role-playing rationalized as because he is a groggie he just never felt fully impowered but he's working on it be building up to initiation. Or before he was awakened he got the bio then has regreted it sence because it has limited his abilitys.
Zolhex
QUOTE (Fortune)
Why should it be in the Spirit section of anywhere when it specifically deals with character generation? The rules for starting Availability are not in the Gear section, even though they apply to gear, and the rule for the starting number of Spell Points for magicians is not in the Magic section. All of these are in the section on Character Generation because that is where they belong.

While you speak truth there are mutipule references to see p.xx in those sections and that is what i'm saying should be in the sections reguarding spirits.
Lilt
What I was talking about was your statement:
Bio-3.2/2=1.6 round down as per the errata -1 to magic
If you re-do the example in the erratta with a essence 6 and bio index 3.2 you get:
So a starting magician with Essence 6 and a Bio Index of 3.2 begins with a Magic rating of 4 (6 - 1.6 = 4.4, rounded down to 4).
IE: Your magic rating is reduced by 2, not 1.

By your example a character with 1.99 bio index wouldn't even lose any magic as you were rounding down with respect to magic loss (as opposed to rounding-down with respect to magic rating).

There is no real problem with starting with a lower magic rating. In-fact I take-back the comment about taking a geas being a bad idea as hermetic conjurers are never going to be bound or gagged when they conjure (IE: gesture and incantation geases are fine).

You are just completely removing the possibility of conjuring a good (force 6+) spirit. The most powerful aspect of hermetic conjurers is that they don't need to summon at the time (hence they can sleep drain off). The problem is that you can't sleep-off a physical wound like you would get from a decent force spirit.

It would also make logical sense for your character to buy a power focus to offset the loss he had previously incurred from taking bioware as it would allow him to summon more powerful spirits without risking a physical wound.
Zolhex
QUOTE (Lilt)
So a starting magician with Essence 6 and a Bio Index of 3.2 begins with a Magic rating of 4 (6 - 1.6 = 4.4, rounded down to 4).

By your example a character with 1.99 bio index wouldn't even lose any magic as you were rounding down with respect to magic loss (as opposed to rounding-down with respect to magic rating).

It would also make logical sense for your character to buy a power focus to offset the loss he had previously incurred from taking bioware as it would allow him to summon more powerful spirits without risking a physical wound.

Ok lets try this broken down a little more the first part says this: (bio Index ÷ 2), rounded down. Thus a bio Index 3.2 ÷ 2 = 1.6 rounded down is 1. Which reads like this 6 - 1 = 5.

The second part you say a 1.99 bio means no magic loss. No it means bio Index 3.98 ÷ 2 = 1.99 rounded down is 1 thus 1 point of magic loss.

Now as to the taking of physical damage from conjuring on p.188 it states you only take physical if the spirits force is greater than my magic attribute so i can get a force 5 and only take stun. However if i were to summon a force 6 I only take M physical not a big deal a few hours and i'm good to go not a problem seeing as conjuring take several hours anyway this is something I have players do and other gms have had me do in advance of starting a game session. You know something i did between runs it's how i passed my down time.
Lilt
Look at the example again. They round down the magic rating not the magic rating loss. Ask your GM I'm pretty sure they'd agree with me.

And healing a moderate physical wound would take you a few days, if not the base time of 10 days or more. Read page 127. And another point: magical healing cannot heal drain, so you can't ask another party member to heal you or something.
Zolhex
QUOTE (Lilt)
Look at the example again. They round down the magic rating not the magic rating loss. Ask your GM I'm pretty sure they'd agree with me.

Ok I am the GM and as I interpret the errata it clearly states you take the bio index of x and divide by 2 then you round down.

This is the sentence it has a beginning and an end hence the period which as you read it it says:

Magic has a starting value equal to the character's Essence minus (Bio Index ÷ 2), rounded down.

Now in math unless things have changed excessively you do the math inside the () first then figure out the remaining part of the problem. This means I take the bio index divide by 2 and get a number then I finish the formula which states round down.

So, there for as is stated (bio index 3.2 ÷ 2 = 1.6) rounded down = 1. It in no way shape or form tells you where to round down to I.E. round down to the nearest tenth of a point or round down to the nearest whole point so as I said unless math has changed I've done this right because my teachers taught me when they ask for something to be rounded off either up or down they want the nearest whole number.

Now if I am wrong about this I am sorry to say this is something that someone from Fanpro will have to tell me. because it's their rule and it is open to interpretation and as I said this is my interpretation on what is written.
Fortune
QUOTE (E.O.T.L.F.)
Magic has a starting value equal to the character's Essence minus (Bio Index ÷ 2), rounded down.

The 'round down' clearly refers to the Magic Rating in that sentence, and not the Bio-Index.
Bölverk
QUOTE (E.O.T.L.F.)
This is the sentence it has a beginning and an end hence the period which as you read it it says:

Perhaps you should look at that as "Magic has a starting value equal to [the character's Essence minus (Bio Index ÷ 2)], rounded down." rather than "the character's Essence minus [(Bio Index ÷ 2), rounded down.]" as you seem to be doing. This would match the example given more closely, in my reading of the matter.
Zolhex
QUOTE (Bölverk)
[the character's Essence minus (Bio Index ÷ 2)], rounded down."

Um ok essance 6 - 0 = 6 then round down now do the math in ( ) 3.2 ÷ 2 = 1.6 then round down now finish the equasion 6 - 1 = 5. The rounding down happens after each step

I don't get what is so hard to see here?
Fortune
Why is it that you are the only one to see it that way?
Rattler
(5.8 - 0.5 = 5.3, rounded down to 5).

That is your own quote...cool, huh? Notice how in the example, it is the sum that is rounded, after all calculations have been made. Not the bio-index, which is .5 in the given model - that is why .5 is still .5 and not 0 in the equation.

so as I said unless math has changed I've done this right

No, you haven't.

I don't get what is so hard to see here?

I don't know. I'm still waiting for you to tell me. smile.gif
Zolhex
Ok I see things from my perspective that is all there is to it and as the developers say i'm allow to use the rules as I see them.

However, I have officially been handed my walking papers via Fanpro and Rob Boyle so you guys are right. (never too big to admit I'm wrong)

Although when running my own games i'll have to give serious thought to going with my way.
Fortune
So, in your games, as long as a character stays below 2 points of Bio-Index (prior to it being halved), they would never lose any Magic. Do you think that's reasonable?
Zolhex
So it would seem like I said something for me to think about. see with me I read bioware is always treated as natural in the book and your own immune system treats is as natural so I see no reason for it to have any effect on magic.
Lilt
Not quite. Having bioware installed lowers your body's immune system for a start (less body to resist desieses&toxins) so there is obviously something screwed-up with bioware. Isn't the fact that your magic rating is only reduced by 1/2 bio index (rather than full esselce) enough?
Zazen
QUOTE (Fortune)
Why is it that you are the only one to see it that way?

I saw it that way too when I started to read the errata.

Magic is reduced by the character's Bio Index divided by 2 (round down).

Immediately I thought "What the fuck? 1.9 BI for free?" Luckily it was clarified by the next section which you guys have been quoting. smile.gif
snowRaven
Note the comma: Magic has a starting value equal to the character's Essence minus (Bio Index /2),rounded down.

If they meant round down the BioIndex, the comma would have been after 'Essence' or the rounded down would have been in the parenthesis. Their own examples clearly show that this is in fact the case. If you wanted the FanPro people to say you are wrong, well... they already have.

I do agree, however, that the last sentence in the first paragraph indicates that you round down the halved bio-index. But since every other part of the text goes against this, there is no problem upsidedown.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012