Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cities of Intrigue Wishlist
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
martindv
I already explained why.

I suggest you read this thread before asking a redundant question.

Plus, I know about Shadows of Asia. I've kind of mentioned it around here. A lot. The Turkestan chapter sucks.
FrankTrollman
I don't think it's a redundant question at all. The country in question owns Tashkent (which has five times the population), and Aqtau which is a much bigger port (having, you know, a coas).

You really didn't say much about Dushanbe that couldn't be said better about Tashkent. Tashkent has the oldest subway system in Central Asia.

-Frank
Kronk2
I am still pulling for Austin to make it in. 4 major players in a 4 hour drive 5 in 9 hours. (driving to the PCC takes time.)
Aztlan and Lonestar are practically neighbors and the Carib league is right next door also.
martindv
Read the first explanation.

That's all I'm going to say until he, and you, do it.
FrankTrollman
Thanks for being a cryptic ass. Here's your special write-up:

Dushanbe - the mirror reflection of Geneva. It's a chessboard for foreign proxies, but the conflicts are most definitely rooted with the locals. Unlike Geneva, it is a place where someone can essentially pick up a short-term merc contract, but it has the unfortunate problem of being a place where knowing the history and locals is a necessity.

So um... so fucking what? The local history is that Lenin pointed his finger at a map and decided that they needed an industrial and rail center in that part of the southern lands, and the city grew rapidly from a fishing village that didn't mean shit to a model of Soviet moderate industry. With a population that is easily that of the Bakersfield Metropolitan area. It's near Afghanistan. But not nearer than the Kazakh ports in any real sense.

Tashkent, on the other hand has been an important city for thousands of years. It has a population about that of Seattle-Tacoma. So seriously, what's the deal that makes anyone care about Dushanbe more than Tashkent? As I recall the transcontinental industrial monorail goes through Tashkent, not Dushanbe. If you want to grab a sandwich or an AK on your way from Beijing to Essen you do so in Tashkent.

So, care to stop being a cryptic numb nuts and actually tell us what's so fucking important rather than just telling us to read and reread your three sentences of assertions over and over again in increasingly bolded lettering?

-Frank
martindv
Cryptic?

Jesus Christ. If you're (Or specifically FlakJacket) going to contribute, read the thread.

If you're not going to bother, then why should I?

Goodbye.
FrankTrollman
Cryptic?

Yes. Cryptic. You have said:

Dushanbe would be a good choice. Almost all of the freshwater to Central Asia (Turkestan) comes from Tajikistan. And that's already led to some pretty shady stuff going on there.

But you could just as easily have said:
"Almaty would be a good choice. Almost all of the arable land in Central Asia (Turkestan) comes from Kazakhstan. And that's already led to some pretty shady stuff going on there."
or
"Ürümqi would be a good choice. Almost all of the oil deposits in Central Asia (Turkestan) come from Uighurstan. And that's already led to some pretty shady stuff going on there."

Yes. Dushanbe is a city. It has crime. It has exports that are important to the overall economic viability of the nation of Turkestan. But... so what? Why is that important enough to bump off Tashkent, which is the cultural, economic, political, industrial, and military seat of power of the nation and the region?

If you're not going to bother, then why should I?

Here's the deal: people read the thread. They read your responses on the subject. They disagreed with you. Telling them that they haven't read your statements over and over again isn't helpful. You need to provide more information because your original statement did not convince several people that Dushanbe would make a better choice than Tashkent.

-Frank
Fortune
This is cool. I've already learned shit about quite a few cities that I didn't know before.
stevebugge
Having actually been to Tashkent I'd say it would make a very good city for a Future SR product. It has a lot of the elements that make it a good SR locale, a rich history, diverse culture (even if most of that diversity was enforced by the Red Army and a Tsarist policy of Russification), it's reasonably sized, and on a trade route. In 1991 it was a fairly clean nice city, I suspect it's gone downhill a bit since the collapse of the Soviet Union (another reason it's probably a good Shadowrun location).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012