Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stun rounds vs vehicles
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
mfb
yeah, and all sorts of other crazy shit happens in the real world, too. for every vehicle you show me that shrugs off a fusillade, i can show you ten that broke down after one lucky shot. disabling a car with two or three light pistol rounds is unlikely, but within the realm of probability. disabling a car with a baseball bat is only barely within the realm of possibility, much less probability. just because one rule is mildy retarded, that's not carte blanche to make up any crazy rule you want. yeah, the vehicle damage rules aren't quite realistic--but your rule is wholly unrealistic.
Link
The rule for doing physical damage with a stun weapon is in Fields of Fire p83. It appears it was omitted in the Cannon Companion.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (mfb)
yeah, and all sorts of other crazy shit happens in the real world, too. for every vehicle you show me that shrugs off a fusillade, i can show you ten that broke down after one lucky shot. disabling a car with two or three light pistol rounds is unlikely, but within the realm of probability. disabling a car with a baseball bat is only barely within the realm of possibility, much less probability. just because one rule is mildy retarded, that's not carte blanche to make up any crazy rule you want. yeah, the vehicle damage rules aren't quite realistic--but your rule is wholly unrealistic.

What part of "I don't give a flying fuck" are you just not getting, man? smile.gif

And yes, not being happy with the way something works is more than enough to give me carte blanche to make up any rule I want. I can not like the color of a sourcebook, and I have carte blanche to make up any rule I want.

If you prefer to allow your players to have a chance to take out a Citymaster with a single caltrop but not have any chance in hell of bashing the hell out of an unarmored Body 1 drone with a crowbar, you're more than free to do so.
Lindt
O k, for one we all agree that damage to vehicles is broken. As for it not taking stun damage (damm... I want the Proof smily back{{proof.gif}) its on Pg 145 Sr3 on the right side about half way down. Vehicles do not take stun damage.
Lets say I have avg skills. I take my .45 Colt (9M) and put 2 rounds into a car. Assuming no staging on a body 4 car (lets say a Crown Vic) its reduced to a piddly 4L twice. A few holes, and you lost a sparkplug wire
Ok, now Im a massive troll. I take my sledge hammer (str+3M stun) and my massive str (9). I take a wack at that car. My 12m stun would change to 6m physical (Im sure I saw this somewhere...) and now Im doing..... oooo 3L. Mabey you bent up a fender enough to get it in the way of something.
Now even with a called shot, nither can really break any major parts (with out GM approval). However, someone mentioned something about staging. IMO, you could actually do damage to a car with stun rounds. However, its gotta be a really solid hit.
I hose down said Crown Vic with an Ak-47 on FA. Assuming I hit (ouch) we go from 6M stun (rember, gel rounds) to 17D stun (6m-9s-12d-16d-17d). Lets let it roll over from the stun track. Here is where this breaks... we now have a wopping 16L (down to nothing from reduction). At this point there is enough mass to break things.
Suggestion, ignore the damage reduction if it rolls over from the stun?
*edit* Armor negates stun. Makes sense. Its hard rolled steel plating. Your not gonna do jack to it with out very big guns.
Tanka
proof.gif

You mean that? biggrin.gif</offtopic>
lodestar
I think this is the most entertainment I've gotten out of a single post in a long time. We simply ruled that no damage was inflicted. assuming the dalmation has at least the integrity of a garbage can, no ammount of shooting it with a paintball gun would hurt it. I was just curious to see what others might have done, The ruling, like all good gamemastering, was done on the fly to keep the game going. I'd hate to see what might have happened in one of your fellows sessions. wink.gif
CanvasBack
Besides, how many body 1, armor 0 drones are there?
*quick duck and roll out of the line of fire*
3Threes
i got pissed off at my car one time because it kept stalling on me at intersections - so i got out, took my crow bar, yelled at it in the parking lot of the mall, and hit it on the backside once then went inside to buy stuff

when i came back out it wouldnt start

turns out the spot i hit was 2 inches from the collision detector in the trunk that shuts down the gas line when it detects a collision

Zazen
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
If you prefer to allow your players to have a chance to take out a Citymaster with a single caltrop but not have any chance in hell of bashing the hell out of an unarmored Body 1 drone with a crowbar, you're more than free to do so.

You keep mentioning caltrops for some reason. A caltrop can't damage a vehicle either. nyahnyah.gif
Connor
A caltrop might be able to take out the tires though...
Ol' Scratch
Sure can. They do (STR-1)L Physical damage when thrown.

Throwing Weapons 6, Strength 5, Combat Pool 6: 12 dice, TN 4. 6 successes on average I believe.
Body 3 Vehicle (Ford Americar): 3 dice to resist, TN 2, and let's say two of are successes.
End result: Light wound increased to Serious throw staging, then brought back down to Moderate due to it being a vehicle.
Lindt
The reduction is before the staging. It states that any wepon with a light damage code will not damage a vehicle.
Ol' Scratch
Ah, I was not aware of that. I stand corrected then. We'll just dikote it first.

But at least it's nice to know that a hold-out and light pistol can't do any harm, either.
moosegod
However, caltrops can damage any tires a vehicle has if thrown in front.
Corywn
QUOTE (lodestar)
... no ammount of shooting it with a paintball gun would hurt it.

Paintball guns, specifically the only one stat-ed in SR (ELD-AR), only do 4L damage. It makes sense that it wouldn't hurt a car or any other vehicle (hell, a Body 0 drone could probably take a barrage of paintballs with maybe a bent antenna or something.)

However, there is a difference between a paintball and a Gel round in a significantly powerful rifle...
Seriously, I think a gel round from a Remington 950 (7S, prior to any staging) could have enough force behind it to tear a small hole in the body, and (I'd imagine) still have enough velocity behind it to bounce around (off the metal bits), and either crack any weaker components (I'm sure plastics and the like still exist in 2060s cars...) or snag some wires. The effects may be minor (oh...the "Fuel" light didn't come on...strange) or more significant (whups, distributor wire got snagged and popped off.)

[EDIT] Some clarity:
Fuel Light: Light damage...if that, it could just be for flavor.
Distributor line: Destroyed...should be easy enough to fix though. This would just have to be a lucky shot, or staged up with successes.
TinkerGnome
Umm... so you're saying that a round which generally causes a large bruise (and possibly a cracked rib) on a human could tear through durable plastic or metal? It'd probably give it a nice dent, but punch a hole through? What part of human flesh is stronger than plastic or metal?
Shadow
QUOTE (Link @ Dec 3 2003, 07:01 AM)
The rule for doing physical damage with a stun weapon is in Fields of Fire p83. It appears it was omitted in the Cannon Companion.

Fields of Fire is a Second edition book, ergo anything in it is not valid for third edition. The book that (mostly) replaced it is the Cannon Companion.

All damage to vehicle is halved and reduced one level of staging.

So your 4M bat would be a 2L. (This is of course if you let stun damage dmg vehicles, which it does not).

Honestlyyou couldn't hurt a car significantly with a bat. I would rule that a sledge hammer would do physical damage though.

As for the riffle doing 7S

it would be 3m Stun... oh wait. Stun rounds have there power reduced by 2. So it would be 1M. Not going to do any damage with that.
Cain
Also, just as a side note, you do *not* need to focus on hitting a vulnerable part of a vehicle when smacking the hell out of it with a bat. That's assumed by the standard combat rules. A Called Shot against a vehicle would do the same thing it does against anything else; raising the target number to earn you a +1 Damage Level on the attack. You *could* also make a Called Shot upon a specific part of the vehicle if you so desired, like an antenna or a tire or something, but by default it's already assumed you're trying to cripple the vehicle. That's where your Skill rating comes in.

The called shots vs. vehicles rules also allow the GM to reduce the Damage level needed to damage a car. You could easily take that to mean a called shot that'd normally do Stun damage can now hurt a car.
Modesitt
Article about an assassination attempt on Georgian President Eduard Shevardnadze

The pertinent part...

Police say gunmen opened fire on the president's motorcade at about 23:15 local time with small arms and grenade launchers. All seven vehicles in the motorcade were hit in the attack. Shevardnadze's limousine sustained three grenade strikes.

THIS article and others clarify it was not a grenade launcher like an M16 underbarrel dealie, it was an RPG. More details are also spoken about in that BBC article, in particular specifying that they were direct hits on the limo, the first hitting it from the front.

From these, we can surmise one of three things.

A. This just says that vehicle armor in SR is realistic.

B. Cars in general are a lot more durable than SR would have you believe.

C. Eduard Shevardnadze is one lucky son of a bitch.

It's notable that some articles say they were armed with semi-automatic rifles while others say they were armed with fully automatic weaponry. I'm inclined to believe they were automatic as that is what THIS last link says. Note the url, .ge.
Moonstone Spider
Actually I'm not at all sure that these baseball bat blows aren't unrealistic in destroying a car. After all, a hit to the radiator and your car won't make it 10 yards without overheating, and the radiator is right under the hood in the front where any blow to the grill will probably hit it. In two hits it's reasonable to dent the hood enough to reach the air intake, then smash the air filter. No air=no combustion. I'm ignoring the ramifications of electric fuel-cell cars here, you can probably jinx them even easier with a hit to some electrical system. Now hitting a car in the door will never make it quite running but there's a huge number of delicate things under the hood that will make the car quite running (Or else quit running a minute after startup) from a quite delicate blow, ranging from the distributor cap to the oil filter. And the hood's just thin sheet metal.

This is, of course, ignoring vehicle armor possibilities but if the vehicle has even one point of armor you'll need strength 4 to do more than scratch the paint, and then given even a moderate car body you'll die of old age trying. At 4 points of armor even a troll shouldn't be able to hurt it so that's pretty reasonable in my mind.
Dende
Are we saying that any vehicle has armor plating? I understand why a car with plating wouldn't be beaten by a baseball bat, same reasona butterknife won't cut hardened military armor...

HOWEVER, we are talking about a an Americar...the equivilent to a Dodge POS Neon in 2060. I think very easily these cars, which have no vehicular armor plating, could fall to overflow damage from a good stun attack.
TheScamp
Also, where are you guys coming up with this rule that you can stage a weapon up past Deadly Stun damage?

Nowhere, as far as melee damage is concerned. Extra successes past D damage in melee are used to increase the Power of the attack, not the Damage Level.
Dende
We are talking about Overflow damage...if you go above D in Stun you start to do an L physical...the arguement is whether or not a you can do overflow when there is no stun bar to overflow from...Which if you do it in one attack makes sense, if not, you can't track it.
TinkerGnome
You can't actually overflow in one attack under the standard rules. Unless I'm missing something, at least (if I am, page number, please).
Fortune
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
You can't actually overflow in one attack under the standard rules. Unless I'm missing something, at least (if I am, page number, please).

You can't overflow in one attack, because once you get to X[D]Stun damage and still have successes left, they are added to the Power of the attack. There is no extra damage to 'overflow'.
Dende
How about a page number that says you can't?

According the the way I have always played RPGs and the way most do, if it says you can do somthing you can do it. If it says you can't you can't do it. If it says nothing you can. This is also true from rules of the Game Playing Manefesto from Dx and the Tri Stat system.

You really should consider posting a quote that tells me I can't do overflow in a Single attack, cause for now that is how my group plays, unless we see a quote I don't see that changing.
Fortune
SR3: pg. 122 (under #4: Determine Damage): If the Damage Level has been increased to Deadly, extra successes can be used to stage the Power Rating up. For every two successes the Power Rating is increased by one.

In melee, there can be no overflow (in a single attack), because you can't do more than Deadly damage. The overflow rule applies to Ranged Combat.
Dende
So while if I shoot a guy with enough gel rounds he goes down and eventually overflows to true D... But using a sledgehammer I can't possibly kill a man?

I like that system.
Tanka
Isn't this where the optional rule of allowing that to occur comes in?

I can take a pipe to a guy's head, he's unconscious, and he has a Serious Physical wound to boot!
Fortune
As I said, in a single attack. If he already has some Stun and you do Deadly, then it overflows into his Physical monitor. You specifically asked about a single attack, as that is what is in question here, what with vehicles having no Stun monitor.
Tanka
With one swing, I can nearly kill somebody with something that only does stun. Granted, I'm semi-trained in martial arts and have a good grasp of where to hit to do the most damage, but the same example is displayed by people who grab the pipe out of sheer frustration.
Fortune
I understand that. So could I if I wanted to. Canon-wise though, it'd take at least 2 swings of the sledge in order to actually inflict death on someone.
Tanka
Which is where canon doesn't make sense, and where we simply houserule it to make sense for the time being.

Yes, I know, we aren't going for pure realism, but some of it is too obvious.

Now, if it were some Str 1 kid doing the swinging, I'd say the guy ends up with a bruise and a very bad attitude. Or maybe just an egg on the side of his head and the same bad attitude. Other than that, he's toast, 'natch.
Fortune
IIRC, even by the canon Ranged Combat rules, you would need 20 successes over-and-above staging damage to Deadly Stun in order to do Deadly Physical in one (Stun) attack. After Deadly Stun, every two successes gives the target one box of Physical Damage.
Tanka
Technically speaking, it's bulldrek (No, I don't mean the site). nyahnyah.gif
Fortune
Oh well. I was asked about the canon rules, and then challenged as to their validity when I gave them. I made no comment as to their relevance to real life, as my games tend to be just that...games. smile.gif
TinkerGnome
Even the rules which let you overflow in ranged combat are optional rules. Which brings it back to the point that you cannot, by canon, overflow from stun to physical in one hit.

Realistic? Not really.

Likely to be house ruled? Yep.

Want to hear the really sick thing?

Here it goes. Take our friend, Joe Troll. Joe really, really hates Ford Americars. Since Joe is a big guy (strength 10), he's inclined to beating them up when given a chance. One night he spots a victim in a parking lot and goes to work with a baseball bat. Joe takes a swing and it does nothing. He takes another. Still nothing. About thirty swings later, Joe drops the bat in frustration and gives the car half a dozen karate chops (Joe had two years of karate in high school). The wheels fly off and the car is toast.

So, a martial artist can do with their bare hands (via the vicious blow technique) what a blunt instrument cannot? That's just weird. But apparently legal (per CC, Vicious Blow manuever).
BitBasher
So, a martial artist can do with their bare hands (via the vicious blow technique) what a blunt instrument cannot? That's just weird. But apparently legal (per CC, Vicious Blow manuever).
Horrible example, theres a lot an adept can do with magic powers that a mundane cant do witha baseball bat. Like punch holes in steel plate, which is easy with smashing blow.
Kagetenshi
He's talking about the martial arts maneuver, not the adept power.

~J
BitBasher
Oh, well in that case I also think the martial arts maneuvers are optional and therefore not part of this conversation since we seem to be talking about strict canon only.
Kagetenshi
I believe there's an option to do similarly that isn't a part of the martial arts rules, but if you're removing optional items, technically all sourcebooks other than the BBB are optional as well.

~J
Hero
I say use common sense, and common sense says gel rounds wont do much besides break glass, dent, and rip off curtain exterior attachments (mirrors, and antenna if lucky). A gel round could probably puncher the radiator, but the gel round has to be either a luck hit or aimed at that location, but either way the gel round wont do much other then that. As for using a clubs and what not, use common sense too, something tells me enough time a sledge will do damage to a vehicle. Thats what most people have been trying to say, dont need any special rules because there is already a rule for that, the rule zero.
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Oh, well in that case I also think the martial arts maneuvers are optional and therefore not part of this conversation since we seem to be talking about strict canon only.

True, but when you broaden the scope to include optional rules, bat vs. vicious blow argument just shows that a smiliar rule should be introduced for melee. If you're not going to include any optional rules (which is the core of the argument) then damaging a vehicle with a blunt object is impossible. Even failing that, there do not appear to be any rules which would allow a stun melee weapon to deal physical damage to a vehicle.
Austere Emancipator
I am sure there was a discussion on doing Physical damage with Stun melee weapons WAY back, Doctor Funkenstein being one of the people discussing the issue... And I remember suggesting then that you could use the same system for doing Physical with clubs and the like as you do with Bone Lacing, ie ½ Power, no change in DL. I think someone has mentioned those numbers in this thread earlier on, too.

I also remember that the thread died almost immediately after I suggested that, and no one got to comment on it. So either everyone accepted that as a house rule and just stopped talking, or they absolutely hated it so much they didn't want to have anything to do with the whole thread afterwards. I think it's the latter.

Either way, I'll use ½ Power, same DL, if something like this comes up IMG.
Raptor1033
IIRC vicious blow can be used with blunt weapons as well. i think it says any weapon that did stun before can now do physical, which leads to it's own problems of someone trying to get a shock glove to do physical. may not be exactly right but that's what i remember.
Lindt
Oh, and heres a good one for you. I slam away at my car with a bat. no Effect. I pull out my katana, and trash it in a few rounds. Now thats screwed up too...
Honestly, Id like to get it (meaning this houserule that is forming) to the point where, with a solid hit (multiple sucesses), will do light damage to an unarmored vehicle.
Random Voices
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
I am sure there was a discussion on doing Physical damage with Stun melee weapons WAY back, Doctor Funkenstein being one of the people discussing the issue... And I remember suggesting then that you could use the same system for doing Physical with clubs and the like as you do with Bone Lacing, ie ½ Power, no change in DL. I think someone has mentioned those numbers in this thread earlier on, too.

Either way, I'll use ½ Power, same DL, if something like this comes up IMG.

That's the way to handle the situation. The precedent has been set with bone lacing, just apply it to all Stun damage attacks against vehicles. Cut the power in half, keep the damage level the same, then apply the "attacks against vehicles" modifiers: i.e., cut the power in half again and reduce the damage level by 1 (then subtract the armor rating). If that results in at least 1L, then let the attacker stage the attack normally.

So for an average person with a bat doing a 4M stun attack, would do a base 2M physical attack or a 1L physical attack after making the adjustments vs. vehicles. Since the damage code is at least a 1L allow the average person to make an attack test, at 8 successes and every 2 thereafter, increase the power of the attack by 1. Then vehicle will then make it's resistance test. Since the vehicle is stationary and unresisting apply some target number negatives to the attack test ( -2 or -3, something like that).

CoalHeart
Troll with Killinghands D Titanium bone lacing and lots of strength and hardliner gloves could make a tank implode smile.gif Wheee fun.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (CoalHeart)
Troll with Killinghands D Titanium bone lacing and lots of strength and hardliner gloves could make a tank implode smile.gif

Well, not really, but THE WALLHACKER!!!1112 sure can.
Tanka
QUOTE (Lindt)
Oh, and heres a good one for you. I slam away at my car with a bat. no Effect. I pull out my katana, and trash it in a few rounds. Now thats screwed up too...

How's that screwed up? A true katana was made to slice through ten stacked corpses in one swing. Think of what it could do, with a properly trained person, in one swing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012