Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fourth Ed and me
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
BlueMax
After playing Shadowrun from public release, I am now running a 4th Edition game. Poorly.
I can't achieve balance and I don't know how to direct character growth.

Fight Balance
At first, I wanted to blame my lack of time. Work, kids, wife, thats why I don't get it yet... but no. Like so many people who couldn't figure out how magic worked in first edition, I don't get fight balance now.

If I make two lieutenants(semi named baddies) for a fight, they either cannot even annoy the physical adept in HTH or they do serious damage to everyone else. Let's chalk this up to the adept being a Troll and move on.

If I attack the party with an AoE spell, its curtains. Even with the mage in the party attempting to defend the group, any capable magician throwing for twice magic sends the party to their graves (or just really messed up in the case of the Troll).

The players shoot to kill, the bad guys are the "bad guys" right? So, they aren't working from a higher moral standpoint. And often, when intending on killing the runners, the baddies have to pack some heavy heat in hopes of getting past armor.

Missing Crutch: Dice Pools. In the case of spells, the characters get Willpower against someones Stat+skill and I am missing how to counter the skill difference. (not to mention that not everyone has a high Willpower)

Character Growth.
Fourth Ed, non magical, Characters start near the top of their game. They have one or two points of stat or skill to increase tops. After that it just seems to be, "round out the character". What am I missing?
I don't get why any skill uses Magic for an attribute if Magic is the only stat without a cap.

This is not a rant about 4th Ed, I like it so far. I just don't get understand it that well. Any suggestions, hints, reminders of the blantantly obvious are welcome.

I want to get my 4th ed groove on so I can run an even better game.
Slymoon
Throwing my ear into this arena as well. I am about 2 months off from running my first SR4 game (having ran games from the release of SR2... long time ago).

Aside from attempting to absorb the rule changes and not having them mix with the existing SR database. I am really interested in hearing about the pitfalls and nuances between SR3 and SR4 prior to finding them firsthand.
GryMor
QUOTE (BlueMax @ Feb 25 2008, 02:47 PM) *
Missing Crutch: Dice Pools. In the case of spells, the characters get Willpower against someones Stat+skill and I am missing how to counter the skill difference. (not to mention that not everyone has a high Willpower)

Magic + Spellcasting + [Edge] - Visibility Modifiers vs Willpower + Counterspelling + [Edge]

Group Edge for the 'bad guys' tends to even things out, also, unless he's a Prime runner, the overcasting mage probably just took himself out from drain.

Character Growth.
Fourth Ed, non magical, Characters start near the top of their game. They have one or two points of stat or skill to increase tops. After that it just seems to be, "round out the character". What am I missing?
I don't get why any skill uses Magic for an attribute if Magic is the only stat without a cap.

Arsenal opens up more options, also, mundanes can get more bang for their bug from Nuyen and essence expenditures.
djinni
QUOTE (BlueMax @ Feb 25 2008, 03:47 PM) *
If I make two lieutenants(semi named baddies) for a fight, they either cannot even annoy the physical adept in HTH or they do serious damage to everyone else. Let's chalk this up to the adept being a Troll and move on.

most people in shadowrun do not do Hand to hand, they shoot alot, are you doing melee combat or ranged?
If I attack the party with an AoE spell, its curtains. Even with the mage in the party attempting to defend the group, any capable magician throwing for twice magic sends the party to their graves (or just really messed up in the case of the Troll).

overcasting hurts, its the same as going in to work and you can go home early if you nail your hand to the table with a butter knife. if your players are doing it they should be incurring alot of penalties. also counterspelling if your mage didn't take it then tough you SHOULD beat them down.
remember the NPC's need to have zero edge when they die.
The players shoot to kill, the bad guys are the "bad guys" right? So, they aren't working from a higher moral standpoint. And often, when intending on killing the runners, the baddies have to pack some heavy heat in hopes of getting past armor.
its pretty easy to get past armor but the main challenge of shadowrun isn't the combat. its in doing the run to the satisfaction of the J. the J says get in and get out make it like you were never there... they shoot someone they don't get paid.

counterspelling
Character Growth.

non magic are far from the top of their game. make them roll skills they don't have.
stealth? electronics?
nathanross

Limiting the mage's power is one of the hardest things to do in SR4. Because Drain is much easier to resist than SR3, they can cast higherlevel spells and make it much harder for the mundane to resist. All I can say is memorize the modifier table. That is the ONLY way you are going the mage, other than always having a mage there to fight him.

Character Growth.

I dont know about you, but I have yet to make a character that is truly on top of his game. You can start out much higher in one area than you used to though, but they still have a long ways to go in other areas. I try to encourage everyone to start out well rounded, and then advance up. Not everyone likes this though, and you will have to deal with those nails that stick up however you can. Usually they get cocky and stick their neck out too far. wink.gif
Jaid
just to make sure the OP is clear on this, counterspelling is applied in full to everything the mage is protecting, it is not split up like it was in earlier editions. thus, if the mage has counterspelling 4 (combat +2) then everyone he protects gets 4 counterspelling dice (6 if it's a combat spell). likewise, a counterspelling focus is an excellent investment at chargen, particularly for those scary direct combat spells.

also, don't forget that the spell's force caps *total* hits, and thus a force 4 manaball (which is about what you'd expect in a manaball from a 'standard' NPC mage i'd say) would be capped at 4 hits gross, not net, for a total maximum of 8 damage (that's quite unlikely though... chances are, the target will resist some of it)
ixombie
Mundanes have two aces in the hole against mages: speed and edge. Most cybered characters are much faster than most mages. And mages need line of sight to cast. So chances are, magey boy is getting shot before he casts. Invisibility shouldn't matter, because all mundanes should have a radar or ultrasound system to protect against just such an eventuality. And if he's a mega stealth master mage... only use those if you want your party to die for real real.

And then edge. Normally, mages are going skill(spellcasting) + attribute(magic) vs. the PC's attribute(willpower). But when they Edge, they get attribute + attribute, with exploding dice, which should protect them decently as long as they're not silly billies who didn't take much edge. Seriously, taking low edge in SR4 is like voluntarily lowering your karma pool in SR3 for no reason silly.gif

Finally, don't go handing out 6's in skills and attributes to all the NPCs. I know that in SR3, 6 was crap. Everyone could start out with 6's in almost everything right out of chargen. 6 was supposed to be world class, but it ended up being standard -- you had to have 10-12, which was double world class, to effectively be world class... But in SR4, characters pay through the nose to max an attirubte, and are limited to one single skill at 6. A 6 is a big deal. Your basic enemies shouldn't have them, at least right when the runners are out of chargen, 6's are the province of prime runners only. If you're throwing out a mage who can blow past the characters' magical defenses, including all the lighting and visibility modifiers that might apply, before they can ever take a shot at him, your mage is probably too strong.
Whipstitch
You don't always really have to do much damage to make runners sweat. If you start making it clear that time is often against them in many situations merely making the opposition rather durable can keep tensions running high. To this end spirits, vehicles and drones are tremendously useful since they are easy to set up so they have outsized durability relative to their actual firepower. Plant Spirits and Steel Lynx in particular make great cannon fodder; drones and vehicles shrug off stun damage easily while Spirits are durable and specialize more in disabling people rather than outright killing them, which is nice because they can let you cause runners plenty of problems without insta-gibbing them like some other measures would. Plus Spirits and Drones offer a way for skilled Magicians and Riggers to quickly provide some measure of security to multiple facilities even from a distance, so it's not unreasonable to expect most facilities to have a few modest Spirits bound to an area and a couple of heavy duty combat drones for a corp rigger to jump in from remotely. Always remember that nobody said the security rigger has to keep all his drones online and on the same network as the rest of the security, so it's not like the Hacker should be easily able to take over ALL of a facility's security for his own ends.
Ravor
Also something that I have personally found is that ALOT of Fourth Edition's headaches simply go away when everyone agrees to play using lower dicepools, remember that the average professional Dicepool is ( Rating 6-8 ) so the Runners don't have to be throwing bucketfuls of dice themselves.
BlueMax
QUOTE (Jaid @ Feb 25 2008, 02:06 PM) *
just to make sure the OP is clear on this, counterspelling is applied in full to everything the mage is protecting, it is not split up like it was in earlier editions. thus, if the mage has counterspelling 4 (combat +2) then everyone he protects gets 4 counterspelling dice (6 if it's a combat spell). likewise, a counterspelling focus is an excellent investment at chargen, particularly for those scary direct combat spells.

also, don't forget that the spell's force caps *total* hits, and thus a force 4 manaball (which is about what you'd expect in a manaball from a 'standard' NPC mage i'd say) would be capped at 4 hits gross, not net, for a total maximum of 8 damage (that's quite unlikely though... chances are, the target will resist some of it)

Jaid,
Both of these I know. I just feel sorry for the poor slots when the mage is already down and cant counterspell. (or more likely, the mage couldn't make it that night). It seems that for mundanes, one mage can ruin your whole party.
The force 4 spells don't bother them at all. Its after they have geeked a few of the other goons and the opposing mage lays down a 6 (or 8 if he has the drek in him) that they fold like a house of cards.

QUOTE (Ravor @ Feb 25 2008, 03:20 PM) *
Also something that I have personally found is that ALOT of Fourth Edition's headaches simply go away when everyone agrees to play using lower dicepools, remember that the average professional Dicepool is ( Rating 6-8 ) so the Runners don't have to be throwing bucketfuls of dice themselves.

Big thanks. Its hard for my early Edition brain to drum up the idea that 8 is professional and thats likely what has to change. It doesn't help much that my players put their characters up on boards like this for review. I laughed when a magically active character was supposed to have simsense vertigo. "You ain't getting points for something that doesn't hinder you".

Ack. Missed a quote. By "top of game" I mean they can't add dice to their chosen skills. By rounding out, I meant adding more skills. So for Mundanes, I guess you round out.
djinni
QUOTE (BlueMax @ Feb 25 2008, 08:19 PM) *
I laughed when a magically active character was supposed to have simsense vertigo. "You ain't getting points for something that doesn't hinder you".

then you are missing the bigger picture. he can't join the group doesn't know what they know in combat all he has are the voice comm not the instant ffid that comes with AR. vertigo hurts you more as a mage.
Abbandon
Hey I just wanted to say that you dont have to break through armor and inflict Physical wounds to hurt the players. I just had a battle here on the boards where my character was only taking stun damage cuz of all his armor and as it was building up I was like...."oh crap!! Im about to get knocked out from all this stun damage....with my next IP im gonna take my armor off so i can start taking physical and stay in the fight longer lol. "

Once they are knocked out you can do whatever you want to them. So you dont have to make them bleed to hurt them.

Another option is to just call your shots!! aim for vulnerable spots.
Zak
For one, every character should be able to handle himself in combat - except he is staying home.
Unless you are going crazy on the dicepools (from my guts I'd say it gets kinda silly above 15/16 for combat abilities) any member of the group shouldn't get completly hosed without standing a chance.

Shadowrun is not taking place in a fair environment, and it is not your job to play it save on those who decided to gimp themself in certain aspects, just to 'max out' something else.

Magic is tricky here, as it can easily overwhelm anyone not awakened. But there have been enough threads exactly on this topic. In my experience the problem was more a problem on paper and metagaming than in game.
BlueMax
QUOTE (djinni @ Feb 25 2008, 04:37 PM) *
then you are missing the bigger picture. he can't join the group doesn't know what they know in combat all he has are the voice comm not the instant ffid that comes with AR. vertigo hurts you more as a mage.

/me gets out his cane and holds onto the onion on his belt
I may be missing the bigger picture, as was the point of this thread. But I am not sold on all this Fancy AR being needed to communicate in a team. We didn't have them for generations before and teams did just fine.

I'll look for other threads debating the inability to shadowrun in 4th without AR. That may be exactly what I have yet to understand.
Jaid
wait, your team doesn't geek the (enemy) mage first? who trained these people?!?! shoot the bloody mage in the face and he won't be casting anything at you. seriously, worrying about the third or fourth spell is like complaining that the third or fourth grenade that lands in the middle of your group is causing problems.

alternately, it's quite simple to counter a typical mage. IR smoke, for example, blocks out the mage's line of sight. if he can't see you, he can't cast a spell on you, or at you. in fact, the 10 meter radius of a smoke grenade means he probably can't even lob an indirect elemental spell in your general direction and hope to catch you in the radius unless he's dropping a force 11+ on you (and if the mage is good enough to soak the drain for a force 11 ball lightning just on the off chance he might hit you... ummm... yeah... just shoot yourself. seriously. you're not going to win against that... )

simply put, deny LOS to the enemy magician and you will find your life expectancy greatly increased against him. the best form of LOS denial is to make him dead or at least unconscious, since dead/unconscious mages don't generally have any options to get around the LOS denial.
Dashifen
AR isn't necessary (the Micro-Transceiver is still in the gear chapter of SR4 after all) but it can certainly help. I disagree that the mage needs it just as much as others since mages are often the front-line for astral defense and AR doesn't translate into the Astral. Regardless, it can be done, but the ability to use AR effectively and as a team can really help out a group (translating into +1 to +3 for dice pools).

The other thing you can do to help reign in your mage is the selective and careful use of Background Counts. Use them too much, or too heavy handedly and you'll just end up with an angry player. But if you have the chance to use it and it's appropriate to do so, Background Counts reduce an Awakened character's Magic attribute by the absolute value of the Background Count as long that're within it. And yes, that means Adepts lose powers, too. It's rough for Awakened characters, but it can help to limit their power. There's more information in Street Magic if you need it.

Also, don't forget spirits. If the mage is focused on handling spirits, then they might not be dropping major spells on the opposing force. Meanwhile, that force can be using non-lethal but nasty spells on the team like Bugs, Agony, Phantasms, etc. from Illusions or even some the emotion spells. Use Mob Mood on the runners and give them feelings of peace and tranquility right in the middle of a fire fight devil.gif
Slymoon
QUOTE (Dashifen @ Feb 25 2008, 08:12 PM) *
... as long that're within it. And yes, that means Adepts lose powers, too. ...

What! Where Who When!

Missed that I did. How do you determine what powers are lost while in the background?
And where is that, missed it in my BBB reading.
Cain
I dont know about you, but I have yet to make a character that is truly on top of his game. You can start out much higher in one area than you used to though, but they still have a long ways to go in other areas. I try to encourage everyone to start out well rounded, and then advance up.

As has been well-established, it's entirely possible for a character to be both at the top of his game, and well-rounded.

As for his original problem, one way of dealing with this is to allow players to purchase Aptitude multiple times, even for the same skill. They still need to raise the skill with Karma; but now it works in a fashion similar to a mage with Initiation.
ixombie
QUOTE (Slymoon @ Feb 25 2008, 09:19 PM) *
What! Where Who When!

Missed that I did. How do you determine what powers are lost while in the background?
And where is that, missed it in my BBB reading.

QUOTE ('Street Magic p.118')
Adepts that suffer a reduced Magic
attribute temporarily lose powers as
a result; the player must choose 1
Power Point worth of powers to be
nullified for each point of Magic reduction.
In the case of mystic adepts,
the gamemaster determines whether
the reduced Magic attribute deducts
from his magician abilities or adept
powers first, but the player gets to
decide on which adept powers are
temporarily lost.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (ixombie @ Feb 25 2008, 05:33 PM) *
Finally, don't go handing out 6's in skills and attributes to all the NPCs. I know that in SR3, 6 was crap. Everyone could start out with 6's in almost everything right out of chargen. 6 was supposed to be world class, but it ended up being standard -- you had to have 10-12, which was double world class, to effectively be world class...

SR3, p99, Skill Ratings table:

Skill 6: "The skill becomes Innate. You no longer think about using it. Whenever you use the skill, your mind and body are one. The skill is less an action performed and more a triggered reaction. You concern yourself with performance rather than style and effect."

Skill 8+: "Only two words can describe your use of the skill: World Class. Regarded as someone who defines the skill, you perform it perfectly; you also grasp the nuances, adapt and refine it, as if you are recreating the skill every time you use it."

Skill 6 was never, ever presented as world-class in SR3. Highly-skilled, certainly, but it isn't even Expert—that's 7.

~J
djinni
QUOTE (Dashifen @ Feb 25 2008, 10:12 PM) *
AR isn't necessary (the Micro-Transceiver is still in the gear chapter of SR4 after all) but it can certainly help. I disagree that the mage needs it just as much as others since mages are often the front-line for astral defense and AR doesn't translate into the Astral. Regardless, it can be done, but the ability to use AR effectively and as a team can really help out a group (translating into +1 to +3 for dice pools).

no thermo, no low light, no flare comp, no radar, no ultrasound, no smartlink, no camera's giving alternate angles, yeah vertigo sucks in 4th like hung out to dry sucked in 3rd.
BlueMax
QUOTE (djinni @ Feb 25 2008, 08:26 PM) *
no thermo, no low light, no flare comp, no radar, no ultrasound, no smartlink, no camera's giving alternate angles, yeah vertigo sucks in 4th like hung out to dry sucked in 3rd.

The goggles, zey do nothing?

Or at least thats how we did it back in the old days. I am reading up on this Augmented Reality stuff. I can see benefits to HUDs but I haven't sold myself that one has to be able to hear,see, touch or smell the matrix just quite yet.
Method
I think another thing that is frequently overlooked in SR4 (as in SR3) is the need for perception tests in combat. Situational awareness is absolutely crucial in combat, but no character should be able to know everything that is going on all the time.

As the GM, you should tell your players only what is immediately obvious and make them (and the NPC's) expend actions to Observe in Detail. Anything that compromises situational awareness (darkness, crowded streets, spam zones, glitchy cybereyes, plain clothes cops, etc) should increase the frequency of OID actions necessary to fight effectively. Glitches can result in friendly fire incidents, dead bystanders, dead contacts, damage to the top secret prototype whatzit they are trying to steal, etc.

The net result is that this makes combat way more tactical and interesting (IMHO) and curbs mages just enough, since any OID simple action will preclude their ability to cast that pass (which often means they must wait until the next turn). It also makes Multitasking one of the best adept powers in the game.

As a side note, the lack of situational awareness that results from not using AR could also mean that your mage with Simsense Vertigo needs to expend even more simple actions to OID.

And BTW- Welcome to Dumpshock... cool.gif

ArkonC
QUOTE (BlueMax @ Feb 26 2008, 05:39 AM) *
The goggles, zey do nothing?

Or at least thats how we did it back in the old days. I am reading up on this Augmented Reality stuff. I can see benefits to HUDs but I haven't sold myself that one has to be able to hear,see, touch or smell the matrix just quite yet.

Well, yes, goggles with those mods do do something, they trigger simsense vertigo... smile.gif

Also, about mages being too powerful, it is just a matter of not having a good way to counter usually...
But this goes for pretty much all specialists, to protect against magic, you need someone who knows magic, but to protect against a hacker, you need someone who knows hacking himself, hell, to protect against a street sam, you need your own streetsam...

As for characters starting at the top of their game...
Yes, if you make a character that uses only 1 skill, you can usually max out your dice pool at chargen, but calling this one-trick-pony "at the top of his game" seems like a massive overstatement...
If the character needs more than one skill for his role (which all roles do), you can start good, but there is always room for improvement...

Just my 2 nuyen.gif ...
ixombie
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Feb 25 2008, 11:18 PM) *
SR3, p99, Skill Ratings table:

Skill 6: "The skill becomes Innate. You no longer think about using it. Whenever you use the skill, your mind and body are one. The skill is less an action performed and more a triggered reaction. You concern yourself with performance rather than style and effect."

Skill 8+: "Only two words can describe your use of the skill: World Class. Regarded as someone who defines the skill, you perform it perfectly; you also grasp the nuances, adapt and refine it, as if you are recreating the skill every time you use it."

Skill 6 was never, ever presented as world-class in SR3. Highly-skilled, certainly, but it isn't even Expert—that's 7.

~J

IXOMBIE HATE SEMANTICS! mad.gif

Seriously. 6 was supposed to be awesome and it ended up being standard. 1000 pardons for using the wrong adjective to get across the same meaning.

As for characters starting at the top of their game...
Yes, if you make a character that uses only 1 skill, you can usually max out your dice pool at chargen, but calling this one-trick-pony "at the top of his game" seems like a massive overstatement...
If the character needs more than one skill for his role (which all roles do), you can start good, but there is always room for improvement...

It is an everlasting source of consternation that people who have played SR3 say that SR4 characters are too powerful. Um... What?? In SR3, you could max out as many things as you wanted with no penalty. B attributes plus some cyberware could easily max out (or exceed max) on every single stat. And it was a simple matter to have a 6 or better in all of your job's specialties. I once made a rigger/decker/sniper/stealth/b&e character in SR3 who was awesome at all of those things right out of chargen.

In contrast, SR4 penalizes every maxed attribute, and limits you to one (1) maxed skill. You are forbidden by the game's very system from being at the "top of your game" in more than one thing. It's impossible. You can be skilled in several things, but you can't start without room for improvement. You might be able to start good enough that improvement is not a priority, but until you're maxed out, don't go telling me you have no room to grow! sleepy.gif
nathanross
I must agree that the numbers and mechanics are so radically different that you cant really compare them straight across. 2 is the new average, 4 is the new 6. In that sense, it is far easier to max out at char gen as you can easily get 4 in every attribute. Of course Attributes in SR3 also meant much less since they were used individually from skills. Also the fixed TN5 changes everything. The probability is much more linear now, as opposed to SR3. Sure I only had 4 dice to shoot a pistol, but I had a TN2, and rarely miss. Also they weren't guaranteed a dodge test, as they had to allocate Combat Pool dice.

Overall, Apples and Oranges. I like SR4, but the GM and the characters both need to have an unspoken agreement that they are NOT maxing DP's at char gen.

Also, this has been said before, but to repeat it again: DO NOT LET THEM BUY EDGE! Advance it similar to SR3 but at different intervals (10, 30, 60, 100, 150, 210, etc.)

PS - And throw out Longshot (or require a permanent Edge burn to use)
DocTaotsu
All i'll say is that my character that walked out of the SR3 character generation could kick the shit out of the character I made in SR4. A lot of that was cyberware (enhanced artwinkulation, I'm sad that it doesn't make me shoot better now.) But much of that was just... how ycharacters got built.

*shrugs*
Synner
One thing that I'd like to point out and that I've seen overlooked way too often as the real cause of imbalance in combat (whether it's ranged, hand to hand, or spellcasting) is proper use of situational modifiers. It's nice to see several people did bring this up in one of the power level of combat threads, but it's important to reiterate.

For instance, proper application of situation and visibility modifiers in combat can really bring magicians down a peg. Most magician character builds have Spellcasting dicepools in the 8 and 16 range. Assuming your players are clever enough to play tactically, use cover and other visibility modifiers (which is not a given, particularly if they're used to SR3's dodge/combat pool system), it shouldn't be hard to reduce that dicepool by at least 5-7 dice in typical combat situations (where characters' aren't standing in an empty street/corridor at high-noon/under bright lights). The target having just good cover sets the magician's dicepool back 4 dice. Dim-lighting, smoke, rain, or fog can set him back anything from 1 to 3 dice. My PC magicians have gotten into the habit of throwing up mana/spell barriers in their first action because that further hampers incoming spellcasting dicepools (and spirits).

Regardless, the caster's average number of successes comes down sharply with his reduced dicepool and any Counterspelling (please note the comment made above that in SR4 Counterspelling is applied in full by all targets protected by the Counterspelling magician) is potentially more effective... and if you want you can even factor in the defending character using Edge on Spell Resistance.

All of the above applies to a big extent to Ranged Combat, and factoring in movement and the remaining target and attacker modifiers can easily reduce big dice pools in typical combat situations by anything from 8 to 15 dice.
djinni
QUOTE (Synner @ Feb 26 2008, 09:06 AM) *
Regardless, the caster's average number of successes comes down sharply with his reduced dicepool and any Counterspelling (please note the comment made above that in SR4 Counterspelling is applied in full by all targets protected by the Counterspelling magician) is potentially more effective... and if you want you can even factor in the defending character using Edge on Spell Resistance.

vision modifiers really only count against single target spells. the AOE spells like stunball, you can pikc a point that you can clearly see and like "magic" the bad guys fall down.
Fortune
QUOTE (djinni @ Feb 27 2008, 01:25 AM) *
vision modifiers really only count against single target spells. the AOE spells like stunball, you can pikc a point that you can clearly see and like "magic" the bad guys fall down.

Um, no. Stunball, like all Direct Combat spells, must be targeted at a specific person (or object in other cases). Indirect Combat spells can be targeted at empty space though.
kigmatzomat
Indirect AoE spells (fireball) won't need good line of sight but direct AoE spells still will. If the mage can't see a target, they aren't affected by direct spells, AoE or otherwise.
Slymoon
QUOTE (ixombie @ Feb 26 2008, 05:50 AM) *
IXOMBIE HATE SEMANTICS! mad.gif

Seriously. 6 was supposed to be awesome and it ended up being standard. 1000 pardons for using the wrong adjective to get across the same meaning.

If you are in law or studying law, you should know that semantics is tremendously important. Improper use of a single term will lose you a case faster than catshit.

Back to the subject regarding modifiers for mages:
So the background count information is not in the BBB. I suppose I got so used to using all that in SR3 I didn't recall where the info was from. (MitS)

Alrighty, Thanks.
Cain
In contrast, SR4 penalizes every maxed attribute, and limits you to one (1) maxed skill. You are forbidden by the game's very system from being at the "top of your game" in more than one thing. It's impossible. You can be skilled in several things, but you can't start without room for improvement.

Get a maxed-out Quickness, and one maxed out combat skill. You're not only at the top of your game in one area, you'll be so close to the top of your game in so many others, it's pointless. If you're an adept, that can be pushed even further,
Malicant
Here we go again... spin.gif
ArkonC
QUOTE (Cain @ Feb 27 2008, 12:40 AM) *
Get a maxed-out Quickness, and one maxed out combat skill. You're not only at the top of your game in one area, you'll be so close to the top of your game in so many others, it's pointless. If you're an adept, that can be pushed even further,

All right, I'll bite...
Prove it and make this character that is so close to the top of his game it's pointless...
BlueMax
Perhaps we can make a new thread for the challenge. I did not create this thread to have any challenging tone for anyone but myself. I am challenged to adapt.

I thank everyone for the input thus far.
Synner

As several people have pointed out AOE spells like Stunball have to be targeted at a specific being that you can see. Furthermore anyone targeted by a Direct Combat spells (AoE or not) is protected by visibility and cover modifiers. Indirect Combat spells do however affect any targets within the AoE - regardless of whether they are visible or not.

I've been playing for quite some time now and in 90% of combat situations the spellcasting PCs (and NPCs) at my table lose between 4 and 10 dice from their dicepools. As I mentioned previously the magic-wielding min-maxer in our group has decided that Synaptic Boosters and mana barrier spells are the way to go - his first action is almost always to put up a "spell shield" for the mundane members of the team which combined with cover and his Counterspelling make for some pretty stong magical defense (and this despite the fact that we agreed that I apply visibility modifiers to Counterspelling too).

QUOTE (BlueMax @ Feb 26 2008, 11:51 PM) *
Perhaps we can make a new thread for the challenge.

I for one agree. No point in Cain derailing another thread, let's see a dedicated thread (one for this issue and a separate one for the Mr Lucky issue he keeps bringing up).
nathanross
QUOTE (Fortune @ Feb 26 2008, 11:02 AM) *
Um, no. Stunball, like all Direct Combat spells, must be targeted at a specific person (or object in other cases). Indirect Combat spells can be targeted at empty space though.

Yes, visibility modifiers ALWAYS apply. With Indirect AOE, it kind of depends on how wide the area is, and if it is even possible to dodge a wall of fire/lightning/acid/napalm. I personally still use them.

QUOTE (ArkonC @ Feb 26 2008, 07:48 PM) *
All right, I'll bite...
Prove it and make this character that is so close to the top of his game it's pointless...

DONT TAKE THE BAIT! LET IT GO! IT'S NOT WORTH IT!
Fortune
QUOTE (nathanross @ Feb 27 2008, 11:11 AM) *
Yes, visibility modifiers ALWAYS apply. With Indirect AOE, it kind of depends on how wide the area is, and if it is even possible to dodge a wall of fire/lightning/acid/napalm. I personally still use them.

Quite true. It's a good thing I made no claims to the contrary. If we review ...

QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (djinni)

... we find that I was refuting a statement made about how Stun Ball (and other AoE) spells were targetted. At no time did I mention, or even refer to 'vision modifiers'. But thanks. smile.gif
Cain

I accept. Start another thread, and I'll prove it. As for Mr. Lucky, Pete seems to not realize that Mr. Lucky isn't the most broken character that can be made. Heck, he doesn't even count in the top 10. I u se Mr. Lucky as an example of brokenness to be nice.

But to get back to the OP, the problem basically works like this: let's say I have a firearms expert, with Quickness 9 and Automatics 7. He's also got Pistols and Longarms at 4. Now, we can add specializations, smartlinks, cyber and bioware; but the difference between the high and mid-range skills is going to basically remain at 3 dice. 3 dice = 1 success. There will be, on average, one success difference between the three skills. He's maxed out in one area, and so close to maxed in every other combat skill, there's no point.

And, as usual, I've made a helpful suggestion to deal with this issue. And also as usual, it seems to be ignored by people who want to fight over how broken Mr. Lucky is, or how it's legal by the book to one-shot a citymaster. I'm glad to accede to the request, but I want it on record: You asked for it.
nathanross
QUOTE (Cain @ Feb 26 2008, 11:20 PM) *
But to get back to the OP, the problem basically works like this: let's say I have a firearms expert, with Quickness 9 and Automatics 7. He's also got Pistols and Longarms at 4. Now, we can add specializations, smartlinks, cyber and bioware; but the difference between the high and mid-range skills is going to basically remain at 3 dice. 3 dice = 1 success. There will be, on average, one success difference between the three skills. He's maxed out in one area, and so close to maxed in every other combat skill, there's no point.

And, as usual, I've made a helpful suggestion to deal with this issue. And also as usual, it seems to be ignored by people who want to fight over how broken Mr. Lucky is, or how it's legal by the book to one-shot a citymaster. I'm glad to accede to the request, but I want it on record: You asked for it.

First off, by Quickness do you mean Agility? Even though there was a Reaction attribute in SR3, it was derived from Quckness (1 Quickness = 1/2 Reaction). This is different from SR4 where they are bought separately and do not affect the other. Please use Quickness for SR3 and Agility for SR4.

Second, even if they are the most bad ass mother at shooting a gun, that doesn't make them the best in the Shadows. Until they can hack like a TM at his best, dodge like Chuck Norris, Con like pro, and have the President as a contact, they have room to grow. I have NEVER seen a character that couldn't grow. Think outside the box. If he can't be defeated in a shootout, then don't get into one with him. No strength is without weakness. What are the character's weaknesses? That is what the GM needs to think about to properly challenge the player.
Cain
Second, even if they are the most bad ass mother at shooting a gun, that doesn't make them the best in the Shadows. Until they can hack like a TM at his best, dodge like Chuck Norris, Con like pro, and have the President as a contact, they have room to grow.

We have a word for characters like that. Munchkin.
I don't know about you, but I don't think trying to make your character into a 20th level demigod should even be attempted in Shadowrun. In Shadowrun, characters (realistically) grow and develop by becoming themselves; not by becoming everything so you can outshine everyone else in every field. That's what people mean by "character growth"; the character improves the things that matter most to him. And not by picking up a bundle of extra skills for the numerical benefit.
BlueMax
QUOTE (Cain @ Feb 26 2008, 10:57 PM) *
I don't know about you, but I don't think trying to make your character into a 20th level demigod should even be attempted in Shadowrun. In Shadowrun, characters (realistically) grow and develop by becoming themselves; not by becoming everything so you can outshine everyone else in every field. That's what people mean by "character growth"; the character improves the things that matter most to him. And not by picking up a bundle of extra skills for the numerical benefit.

Cain,
I am requesting permission to use the paragraph at the end in my "What it means to Shadowrun" documentation for new players. If you want an attribution besides "Cain", please let me know.
nathanross
Im not saying that should be aspired to, Im saying that in terms of stat and DP advancement, thats about as far as you can go. You say that by maxing Agility and Edge very high, the character is way too powerful. I do not feel this is so, since that just isn't enough to survive in the Shadows. All the atts are important in SR4, much more than they were in SR3. Speed and luck run out. If your characters didn't have the rest of the team backing them, would they still be as powerful as you say?
Cardul
QUOTE (nathanross @ Feb 27 2008, 02:07 AM) *
Second, even if they are the most bad ass mother at shooting a gun, that doesn't make them the best in the Shadows. Until they can hack like a TM at his best, dodge like Chuck Norris, Con like pro, and have the President as a contact, they have room to grow. I have NEVER seen a character that couldn't grow. Think outside the box. If he can't be defeated in a shootout, then don't get into one with him. No strength is without weakness. What are the character's weaknesses? That is what the GM needs to think about to properly challenge the player.

QUOTE (Cain @ Feb 27 2008, 02:57 AM) *

Cain, I do not think there is any reason to call people names. As I understood it, Nathan was saying that, contrary to your opinion, he believes that there is always room for a character to grow. Have you stopped growing and learning new things? Of course you haven't. The only people who learn nothing new are the dead.(And, in Sr4, even THEY can learn some new tricks! wink.gif ). So, I guess, we can say, anyone who is alive, by your definition, is a Munchkin, because they have room to grow both as a person(remember, characters change over time through their experiences) and in their skills. The fact that is is pretty dang much impossible for a character, over the course of a game, to survive long enough to reach ALL of the goals Nathan Ross listed is, to me, proof that there is no way there will ever be anyone like that one Cyberpunk character who the rules actually said "You cannot beat this guy" for his stats.
Cain
Cain,
I am requesting permission to use the paragraph at the end in my "What it means to Shadowrun" documentation for new players. If you want an attribution besides "Cain", please let me know.

I'm flattered. love.gif And Cain works for me.

QUOTE (nathanross @ Feb 27 2008, 02:43 AM) *
Im not saying that should be aspired to, Im saying that in terms of stat and DP advancement, thats about as far as you can go. You say that by maxing Agility and Edge very high, the character is way too powerful. I do not feel this is so, since that just isn't enough to survive in the Shadows. All the atts are important in SR4, much more than they were in SR3. Speed and luck run out. If your characters didn't have the rest of the team backing them, would they still be as powerful as you say?

Actually, I didn't mention Edge. But since you bring it up, a high Edge/Quickness character won't overpower everyone in every conceivable category, nor should they. They can do so under the right circumstances, such as oneshotting a Citymaster or making The Shot Heard Round the Barrens. And Shadowrun, moreso that most RPG's, is a team game. If you didn't have the rest of the team backing you, you'd be hogging the spotlight from the other players. No one character should have everything it takes; because then, what's the point of the other PC's?

No, I think the superior game is one in which the characters grow by improving what interests them. And not because they want to become the uber1337 ultimate shadowrunner.

QUOTE (Cardul @ Feb 27 2008, 02:56 AM) *
Cain, I do not think there is any reason to call people names. As I understood it, Nathan was saying that, contrary to your opinion, he believes that there is always room for a character to grow. Have you stopped growing and learning new things? Of course you haven't. The only people who learn nothing new are the dead.(And, in Sr4, even THEY can learn some new tricks! wink.gif ). So, I guess, we can say, anyone who is alive, by your definition, is a Munchkin, because they have room to grow both as a person(remember, characters change over time through their experiences) and in their skills. The fact that is is pretty dang much impossible for a character, over the course of a game, to survive long enough to reach ALL of the goals Nathan Ross listed is, to me, proof that there is no way there will ever be anyone like that one Cyberpunk character who the rules actually said "You cannot beat this guy" for his stats.

I wasn't calling him names, just describing the character; but let's face it, if any of us saw a character like that cross our table, that's exactly what we'd say. It wouldn't matter how legitimately he came across this stuff. Would you allow a character who had 7+ in every skill, 9's in every stat, down to .01 essence with Deltaware, and had Harlequin and Ghostwalker as Loyalty 6 contacts? What about the player who said that was what he wanted? Is there that much of a difference?

I'm questioning the desireability of creating an uber-character, a one-man ultimate shadowrunning team. I'm especially questioning that concept as "growth". Character growth is, to me, developing the character and helping him grow into a "real person". And not just adding skills to make yourself more powerful.

Growth, to most people, involves improving the skills they already have. Not adding random skills to make them into Mary Sue.
samuelbeckett
QUOTE (Cain @ Feb 27 2008, 02:23 PM) *
Actually, I didn't mention Edge. But since you bring it up, a high Edge/Quickness character won't overpower everyone in every conceivable category, nor should they. They can do so under the right circumstances, such as oneshotting a Citymaster or making The Shot Heard Round the Barrens. And Shadowrun, moreso that most RPG's, is a team game. If you didn't have the rest of the team backing you, you'd be hogging the spotlight from the other players. No one character should have everything it takes; because then, what's the point of the other PC's?

Cain, I thought your opinion was that a character could be created at chargen who could do pretty much everything almost as well as the specialists in that area, glad to see I was mistaken.

OK, that was a little sarcastic, sorry - I do agree that having a character that can do everything would negate the need to play the game at all.

However, I do know there are a number of people waiting on this thread who would like you to post a RAW character built with 400BP who can do some of the things you have claimed in other threads i.e. have no room for improvement in their primary area, one shot a Citymaster etc.
Dashifen
QUOTE (Synner @ Feb 26 2008, 06:05 PM) *
I've been playing for quite some time now and in 90% of combat situations the spellcasting PCs (and NPCs) at my table lose between 4 and 10 dice from their dicepools. [...]

Interesting ... I see 0 - 4 dice pool reductions across the board. Apparently, I'm too nice biggrin.gif
Cain
However, I do know there are a number of people waiting on this thread who would like you to post a RAW character built with 400BP who can do some of the things you have claimed in other threads i.e. have no room for improvement in their primary area, one shot a Citymaster etc.

One-shotting a citymaster is easy. For the people in the gallery, please note: he asked to see it.

Here's the example: Mr. Lucky needs to take out the Citymaster chasing their van, so he aims through the window at the driver. (Specifically aiming at a passenger, pg 162, not a called shot yet.) He's using an AVS (8P-f) loaded with Unobtanium rounds, and our modifiers are as follows: -2 recoil, -3 extreme range, -3 for being seriously Wounded, -3 for being in a moving vehicle, -6 for his target having total cover, -1 for his cover, and -2 for the light rain. To top this all off, he calls a shot to bypass the armor of both the vehicle and the driver (a gun port is open by a fraction of an inch). Assuming the driver was in heavy armor with helmet, that's an additional -12, and then we factor in the Citymaster's armor of 20. That's a total dice pool penalty of -52. It could be worse than that-- Mr Lucky might not have a pistols skill at all-- but it's largely irrelevant, since there's absolutely no way he's going to have a positive dice pool. He now spends a point of Edge. 8 Edge = 2.66 successes, which rounds up to 3. The driver can't use his vehicle skill to dodge, since he was specifically targeted; and he requires a Perception test at -6 to even notice that he's been hit. Assuming that the driver has a body of 3 (his armor has been bypassed, so the AP penalty of the flechette round does not apply), he'll be taking an 11P wound, and will likely score 1 success-- not enough, he'll be taken out instantly. The vehicle will now need to make a crash test: it has a threshold of 3, using a Pilot of 3, and a handling penalty of -1. It fails, crashes, and likely kills everyone inside.
samuelbeckett
QUOTE (Cain @ Feb 27 2008, 03:26 PM) *
One-shotting a citymaster is easy. For the people in the gallery, please note: he asked to see it.

Here's the example: Mr. Lucky needs to take out the Citymaster chasing their van, so he aims through the window at the driver. (Specifically aiming at a passenger, pg 162, not a called shot yet.) He's using an AVS (8P-f) loaded with Unobtanium rounds, and our modifiers are as follows: -2 recoil, -3 extreme range, -3 for being seriously Wounded, -3 for being in a moving vehicle, -6 for his target having total cover, -1 for his cover, and -2 for the light rain. To top this all off, he calls a shot to bypass the armor of both the vehicle and the driver (a gun port is open by a fraction of an inch). Assuming the driver was in heavy armor with helmet, that's an additional -12, and then we factor in the Citymaster's armor of 20. That's a total dice pool penalty of -52. It could be worse than that-- Mr Lucky might not have a pistols skill at all-- but it's largely irrelevant, since there's absolutely no way he's going to have a positive dice pool. He now spends a point of Edge. 8 Edge = 2.66 successes, which rounds up to 3. The driver can't use his vehicle skill to dodge, since he was specifically targeted; and he requires a Perception test at -6 to even notice that he's been hit. Assuming that the driver has a body of 3 (his armor has been bypassed, so the AP penalty of the flechette round does not apply), he'll be taking an 11P wound, and will likely score 1 success-- not enough, he'll be taken out instantly. The vehicle will now need to make a crash test: it has a threshold of 3, using a Pilot of 3, and a handling penalty of -1. It fails, crashes, and likely kills everyone inside.

OK I'll bite, but only for one post - anything else and we can take it onto the Cain's Challenge thread...

I agree that the Longshot rules allow you to attempt a crazy, 0 dice pool stunt, and that you could read the Called Shot rules to negate all the armor of the target based on the Vehicle Armor being a direct add to personal armor (although GM discretion could kill this trick right there, as they have to agree for Called Shots to bypass any armor). However, unless you have a page reference somewhere I can't find anything in the RAW that states the driver cannot attempt a personal dodge, albeit at a -2 modifier for being in a vehicle. Presuming Reaction 3 that gives him at least 1 dice to attempt to negate one of your successes (and negating 1 will be enough to stop the one-shot, as he will only take 9P damage). Also, there is nothing in the RAW to stop him spending a couple of dice of Group Edge on this roll to increase his dice pool to 3 and ensure that 1 success.

Granted, Mr. Lucky can just repeat the trick on his next initiative pass - I'm not saying the rules are perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but that is why the game has a GM - to make decisions such as measuring the plausibility of hitting someone in the eyeball with a flechette at 60m in the rain through the armor of a Citymaster.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012