Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: An Arsenal of my own
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
McCummhail
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Aug 27 2009, 02:44 PM) *
Yeah I suppose you could use the point when collapsed. It would do Str/2+1P. As for reach, your typical knife, sap, or dagger is not usually a foot and a half long. I figured almost ~half meter would be a reach of one. When collapsed it is about the size of an extended baton.
The blades in arsenal, the fineblade, kris, katar, etc are all in that length range and they're all reach 0, so I surmised this would be as well.
However, without concrete measurements on weapons it is very subjective.

Urban Flyboy Wingsuit
An extreme sports extension to the Urban Explorer line,
the Urban Flyboy Wingsuit brings things to a whole new level: Airborne!

The suit incorporates membrane like wing panels extending
from the wrist to the ankle and ankle to ankle crafted
from a composite compound consisting of both lightweight
polymer nylon and synthesized spider silk enabling limited gliding.

A control unit installed in the chest deploys and retracts the wings.
Deploying the wings takes 1 combat round.
Retracting it automatically takes 5 minutes.
Retraction can be sped up by a (5, 30sec) Parachute + Logic Test

The gliding wings can be used to extend a horizontal jump.
Successes on a Body+Parachuting test add dice
to a running horizontal jumping test.
The gliding wings can also be used to reduce a fall.
Make a Body/2+Parachute test.
Each success reduces the fall by 5m translating
it into 5m of forward movement.

Ballistic 5 / Impact 6, Avail 14 Cost 2500

EDIT: Links for reference
McAllister
-2 penalty on all social tests against people who currently have their dignity.

I mean, what? That looks like a great idea! wink.gif Just maybe something that most of my characters wouldn't wear.

Why would more Body (more weight, likely) make you glide further? Sure Body is linked to Parachuting in the BBB, but the BBB also never explains what the hell you test for. Pulling the cord? Or surviving when that doesn't work so well?

I think I'll just get a Sparrow, thanks.
McCummhail
QUOTE (McAllister @ Aug 28 2009, 08:19 PM) *
-2 penalty on all social tests against people who currently have their dignity.

I mean, what? That looks like a great idea! wink.gif Just maybe something that most of my characters wouldn't wear.

Why would more Body (more weight, likely) make you glide further? Sure Body is linked to Parachuting in the BBB, but the BBB also never explains what the hell you test for. Pulling the cord? Or surviving when that doesn't work so well?

I think I'll just get a Sparrow, thanks.
I subtracted half the attribute for weight reasons, but BODy isn't just a measure of your weight.
When you glide in a wing suit, you have to maintain a solid body pose, resisting the wind and
use your wrists and ankles to steer.
I guess a case could be made for AGIlity or STRength, but I thought BODy more appropriate.

I think a wingsuit modification for Armor suits is highly feasible!
Something you might wear...

The complete omission of parachuting rules are a disappointment, but the rules from the cannon companion are a really good baseline.

Do you mean this sparrow?
McAllister
No, silly, this sparrow.

A modification.... I can see combining armor-mounted wings with hydraulic jacks and a short-burn rocket for some impressive flight times. Pack it in milspec armor (black, of course) with a belt that holds a miniwelder, a grapple gun and some shurikens; now acquire a voice modulator. Congratulations! You're Batman.

[gravel]WHERE ARE THEY?![/gravel]
McCummhail
QUOTE (McAllister @ Aug 28 2009, 09:26 PM) *
No, silly, this sparrow.

A modification.... I can see combining armor-mounted wings with hydraulic jacks and a short-burn rocket for some impressive flight times. Pack it in milspec armor (black, of course) with a belt that holds a miniwelder, a grapple gun and some shurikens; now acquire a voice modulator. Congratulations! You're Batman.

[gravel]WHERE ARE THEY?![/gravel]
That jetpack is pretty sweet looking!

"Where does he get all those wonderful toys?"

ARES R&D #3453988971 Electromagnetic Repulsor Harness
This experimental harness has achieved the prototype stages.
While researching advanced Electromagnetic technology,
this repulsor harness was proposed.
Strong directional electromagnets that wrap the torso generate
a pulsing electromagnetic field that repulses metallic objects.

While active, attacks against the wearer with
metallic-based weapons are less effective.
It raises the threshold of ranged/melee attacks by 1 against the wearer
and they gain +1 defense vs ranged/melee attacks

The harness requires an ARES power pack to activate.
1 round of use requires 1 charge. A standard pack holds 10 charges.

NOTE: The wearer will find it virtually impossible to use or
wear metal based items or electronic devices when active.
Electronics and signals within 5m are jammed when active.

Cost: --- Avail: --- This prototype is not commercially available.

EDIT: based on McAllister's comments
McAllister
And forget using your commlink. That thing probably rapes every electronic device within 5 meters, and even the hardened ones will be lucky to make it. I just hope you don't have any headware!

Cool idea, though. No idea whether or not it's balanced, but it obeys the Rule of Cool.
McCummhail
QUOTE (McAllister @ Aug 28 2009, 10:35 PM) *
And forget using your commlink. That thing probably rapes every electronic device within 5 meters, and even the hardened ones will be lucky to make it. I just hope you don't have any headware!

Cool idea, though. No idea whether or not it's balanced, but it obeys the Rule of Cool.
Too true!
Being a prototype, they might not even have fully explored/tested/evaluated
the anti-electronic properties.
But forget trying to use any drones...
Any suggestions?

Rule of Cool is an essential element.
It powers my mad scientist cackle! talker.gif
Kerenshara
OK. I had a moment and decided to actually weigh in here.

SmartBullets, interesting concept but I would require a specially modified weapon:

-2 AP is a bit high, all things being equal. The reason lead is used still has to do with high density per unit volume - guns only have so much room. Any smart material is going to be composed of lighter materials, and getting high density is going to be a bitch. I would say that at best you could have a round that is -1AP on hard, treat as "hollow point" on soft, and frangible is as listed.

Essentially, the round is "set" in the barrel by a varried electromagnetic charge and either temperature burst (laser) or UV discharge or something the material can react correctly to. To make up for my NerfTM I'd bring the price down to compensate.

Actively steered ammo? See my LP rifle and pistol. A conventional gun is going to be murder on the nano-sized processors, sensors and especially steering gear. Handwavium and unobtainium are well and good, but I don't buy it. Now, using LP to launch would bring that back to managable levels (so would that Thunderstruck "gauss rifle"). As to effects, I would it doens't provide a bonus as much as it reduces negative modifiers; their ability to steer is going to be a "corrective" ability as opposed to chasing some slag around a corner. And you still have to point the weapon in the general direction of the target so it can acquire. Think like really early heat-seeking air-to-air missiles. Price is going to be insane.

On the "fin stabilized" aspect of the above rounds, don't assume an AP quality. More than likely this would actually be pop-out fins as opposed to a subcaliber dart (see: TOW missile).

HESH was rendered obsolete by modern laminate armors almost forty years ago. The existing AC rounds (if based on APC weapons like it says) are already firing Enhanced Blast-HEDP. HESH was a large mass low-velocity projectile, and 20-25mm AC rounds wouldn't be a first choice here. Pick a better weapon for the job, like an actual rocket launcher with the ability to get useful amounts of soft explosives on the target. High Explosive Squash Head, the cap was a soft material designed to help spread the explosives across the target before the detonator at the ass of the payload impacted and detonated the material, spalling pieces off across the interior. If your target is masonry, the normal Enhanced Blast-HEDP should do the job fine. If they're behind "modern" fortification walls, there's going to be some kind of blast attenuating layer that will make your baby-HESH rounds do little more than peel the paint.

Sakura - see my posts in Electronic Firing. It may say "SMG" but it's going to be big-AR size. I know people are in love with the idea of MetalStorm, but there's some serious down-sides to using it hand-held. The existing Sakura makes sense, in that you can put a hell of a lot of LIGHT PISTOL/MACHINE PISTOL firepower into a light, relatively simple package. But look at the pictures: it's not "light pistol" sized by a long shot. Really big Machine Pistol or smallish SMG would be my critique. Reloading isn't going to be as easy as a conventional clip in combat either. And you're going to be out of ammo quickly. MetalStorm makes sense in vehicles (especially with automated reloading) or emplacements, or in specialty weapons like the Fubuki. A MetalStorm SMG is going to be BIG. I mean, what are you going to have it fire, if the existing gun is already lobbing light pistol ammo? And I respectfully disagree with the people who think it would punch through armor by being one round on top of the next; Your pulse combined with target movement is going to be just enough to ruin that as a possibility. Bench fired against a stationary target, MAYBE, but remember, even from a bench, bullets themselves have a CEP (Circular Error of Probability) or for the firearms buffs MOA (Minute of Accuracy). Sorry, they didn't give it godlike penetration and it shouldn't have it. You want an assault rifle firing heavy pistol ammunition from four barrels and being unwieldy and clunky? Fine. Give me a conventional caseless assault rifle like the Ares Alpha. Reloading alone will give me the edge.

Corner ShotTM's a useful gimick, but it's not something every jane's going to carry into combat. Seriously, the "payload" at the end is VERY small compared to the length of the item. Hostage rescue? Sure. Point-man for house clearing? You bet. General 'running and firefight? Not a chance.

Injection grenade is a bad idea, Stahl. I mean, sure, you could probably make it work, but the effectiveness is going to be nil. There are other ways to deal with situations like that, and a gimick like a "drug-needle grenade" are going to be non-starters, somewhat like the beehive grenade from way up top. .22 LR is NOT what you're going to see in a holdout. Look at modern holdouts. With the exception of some very unique and rare weapons, most are chambered for normal light pistol ammo (.38, 9mm being common). They just have very slim profiles, short barrels (with correspondingly short sight pictures), tiny single-stack clip magazines, and will have a disproportionately bad kick for their load. So I can't justify .22LR having a 4P/- rating. 2P/+1 or 3P/+2 MAYBE.

I like the Fusilade crossbow, neat idea (but you SERIOUSLY need to stop re-watching Van Helsing just for the gratuitious shots of her hoop, omae). But screw compressed gas; with 2070s tech, go electronic/electrical for reloading and cocking. Think "Vulcan Crossbow" for the electrical drive to recock and reload between shots. I would say it's not really possible to go true "FA" but "BF" in "Wide Burst" only would work as a complex action (think: Salvette Guardian).

Exploding tip arrows already exist. Anything bigger and it's going exactly nowhere - there's not enough mass at the ass of the shaft to keep it going foward... well, if it's a STRength 8 Trollbow, then MAYBE. Same problem with net arrows. Same problem with ANY large mass at the front of the arrow.

Honeycomb tires - see smart tires. They don't go flat until you have essentially blown them off the rims.

Fully automatic assault cannon? Folks, seriously, trolls are big but they ARE NOT ARMORED VEHICLES. The 25mm Bushmaster cannon is probably our IRL closest approximation to the Panther AC in performance, and the grapping bradley weighs in at 25 tons. There is NO way, even at STRength 18 a troll is going to be able to hip fire the thing on full auto. Even bipod mounted with all the trimmings, that thing's going to be all over the place. Assault cannon are NOT repeat NOT "troll sized rifles". They are so FAR beyond rifles in terms of muzzle energy it's not even funny. OK, so in terms of carrying the thing, maybe they can do it, but the recoil is going to knock them on their hoop every time if they are doing better than semi-automatic fire. The new AC in Arsenal has a massive muzzle brake and probably a world of recoil damping systems at the breech, but that's just enough to allow rapid aimed semi-auto fire. There are a couple of recent .50 cal rifles that have true semi-auto capability firing ten rounds in less than seven seconds, but the're HALF the diameter of an AC round at 25mm. That means the AREA across the face of the round is FOUR TIMES as much. And the powder is as upscaled to a .50 cal as the .50 cal is to a 30-06. An assault cannon is a specially modified and dismounted vehicle weapon, with things like autofire capabilities removed in order to make it POSSIBLE to use dismounted.

The Spike's a neat idea... but I'm not so sure about it's numbers. I need to go read Arsenal and cogitate on the math/Crunchy BitsTM.

(If I seem abrupt it's not, I just was trying to reply to an awful lot while multitasking. If I shot at your idea, it's not really personal.)
crash2029
Don't arrows usually travel in a parabola?
Kerenshara
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Aug 29 2009, 10:32 PM) *
Don't arrows usually travel in a parabola?

As long as their center of mass isn't too far to one end or another. Essentially the fletching is attempting to produce a resistance to deviation in pitch and yaw. But arrow weights are measured in ounces, while a "grenade" tip is measured in pounds. The existing explosive heads are only carrying a few ounces of explosives in a lightweight housing. Injection tips are similarly light. But a lot of the ideas I saw would only be apropriate on some kind of massive bolt like a ballista, and if you've got a ballista there're better ways to achieve the same objective: it's called a grenade launcher. he bow may be inherently silent, but unless your grenade tip is also a "Hush-a-Boom", the detonation is going to make that academic. A grenade head is going to be just as illegal to posess as a grenade launcher. And the launcher is more compact and faster firing. In addition, an arrow is much more subject to windage than a fired grenade, resulting in greater scatter.

Could you work out a way to do it? Yes, because I can think of at least one. Is it worthwhile? Nope.
McCummhail
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Aug 29 2009, 07:48 PM) *
OK. I had a moment and decided to actually weigh in here.
...snip...
Corner ShotTM's a useful gimick, but it's not something every jane's going to carry into combat. Seriously, the "payload" at the end is VERY small compared to the length of the item. Hostage rescue? Sure. Point-man for house clearing? You bet. General 'running and firefight? Not a chance.
...snip...
Honeycomb tires - see smart tires. They don't go flat until you have essentially blown them off the rims.
...snip...
(If I seem abrupt it's not, I just was trying to reply to an awful lot while multitasking. If I shot at your idea, it's not really personal.)
Thanks for the weigh in.
There's lots of interesting ideas and some are more tenable than others.

I think the Corner ShotTM a cool toy. I am fully aware that it will not be needed in most situations, but a lot of specialized gear is situational.
It just makes that one time it's useful that much more fun.

The Honeycomb tires are probably unnecessary, but the smart tires technically only give you a few more minutes of driving after damage.
That is the same situation that led the military to develop honeycomb tires. They wanted more than a few more minutes of driving...
In game the difference is probably negligible, but SOTA is often overkill.

Bad breath Shotgun Rounds
These specialty rounds for the shotgun disperse the chemical or toxin loaded in misting spray.
The shot disperses it in a misted cone using normal choke rules for the shotgun.
Use taser ranges.
Only contact or inhalation vector toxins/chemicals will be viable.
Resist toxin as normal.

Cost 30 nuyen.gif (chemical cost separate)
crash2029
Trick arrows are not practical, they're cool.

Mako Folding Sword
Damage Str/2+3P | AP-1 | Reach 1 | Availability 10R | Price 2500 nuyen.gif

The Mako Folding Sword is made with a revolutionary new steel alloy not developed by Victorinox that allows the blade to coil like a rope in it's patented sheath. The sheath is a 20cm x 9cm x 2.5cm box worn on the forearm. The padded hilt extends from one end. When drawn the incredible alloy hardens in just seconds! (1 combat round) The Folding Sword truly brings melee weapons into the 21st century.

Mako Bolo 2.0
Damage - | AP - | Availability (as grenade +4) | Price (as grenade +100 nuyen.gif)

The Mako Bolo 2.0 is the latest offering in Mako's FastForward line of personal weaponry. The bolo is a traditional Gaucho weapon used to herd game. Bolos soon found themselves in use against metahumanity. Of course these days a simple cord with a trio of wooden balls just wouldn't cut it against your average cyber-jock. Mako has stepped into the void with Bolo 2.0! Bolo 2.0 features a sturdy ceraplas cord, two desiplase spheres and a special microgrenade designed to go off upon impact. Now instead of merely tripping an opponent you can trip him and gas him. Or frag him. Or anything else! The possibilities are limited only by your credit rating and security status. Order a shipment today!
Kerenshara
>>WARNING!<<
>>SPAM Filter Bypassed!<<
>>Unauthorized ARO Override!!<<

Det-Cord BolasTM!! The latest toy from the loonie engineers at Vaklam Labs©.

What's the first thing some cybered Street Sammy's going to do if you throw some silly old bolas at them? Block with a cyberlimb of course! So the Det-Cord BolasTM obligingly wrap around the limb and *BANG* the cord detonates severing the limb! How cool is that?! You know you want some, so go on to our Matrix site at
http://Loonies.VaklamLabs.com/Det-Cord_Bolas.htm an buy Buy BUY! Use code "KA-BOOOOOOOMM!" and get an extra 10% off your first order!

Available in the original Strawberry SplatterTM, Vaporizing VanillaTM, Charbroiled ChocolateTM, Orange OblivionTM and Lemon LimblossTM, but now available in Grape GrenadeTM!

Det-Cord BolasTM are a blast, but you can only use them once, so make sure you stock up on your favorite flavors and share them with friends, co-workers and that annoying cyber-mastif down the street!

Mandatory Warning: Ages 14 and up. Contains small pieces which may present a choking hazard. Contains explosive components; dispose of properly: do not incinerate! Det-Cord BolasTM are NOT a toy, and are exclusively meant for dis-arming opponents. (Get it? Dis- Arm? Har har! Har Har! Ho ho!) Keep out of the reach of children and shadowrunning trolls. Vaklam Labs© is not responsible for any damage you may inflict on yourself, furniture, dataterms, vehicles, light posts, stop signs or rubber chickens if you glitch, and we furthermore are not responsible if you accidentally dis-head your opponent by mistake when you meant to interogate her later.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012