Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magic
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (The Cheshire Penguin @ Dec 9 2003, 02:08 PM)
Magic can do anything. Time travel, teleportation, gravity manipulation, casting spells out of LOS, and any other crazy effect you can possibly think of (although for most of the crazy stuff you need to use metamagic that doesn't have canon rules, yet).  IMHO, the question isn't really what -can- magic do, the question is, "what are you willing to make up rules for?"

Yeah. I disagree, and I see no evidence in canon supporting your point of view. Care to provide some?

~J
The Cheshire Penguin
Only by inference. Pg. 47 of MitS details all the things that -Sorcery- cannot do, which includes a lot of the effects I was talking about (teleportation and space/time manipulation being the two biggies, but there are others). In canon, there's no advancement of the sorcery skill into the realms of metaspells, which is fine for most campaigns, since most people (I suppose) aren't running groups like mine, where the runners are in the 1000+ karma range, and still playing. But the canon rules don't specifically say that those restrictions on sorcery are restrictions on magic as a whole; it says -sorcery-. This implies, to me at least, and also to the fine people in the Hoosier Hacker House campaign (and I admit that I use a lot of their material), that sorcery is only the tip of the iceberg. So in answer to your question, no, there are no canon rules that I can find for non-sorcery spell casting allowing the manipulation of mana in uber-powerful ways. But that doesn't mean that those techniques can't be invented by a sufficiently intelligent GM and group. Take a look at http://www.hoosierhackerhouse.com/arc/mtf/..._metamancy.html

Not canon, but darn cool. twirl.gif
Kagetenshi
Fair enough smile.gif Not everyone has to agree with me. At least not until I finish my doomsday device biggrin.gif

~J
The Cheshire Penguin
I suppose that I should also say that, to ballance metamagical spellcasting, it is very, VERY noticeable. Like, every time the mage in the group casts the spell 'Gate' (which opens a gate between any two points in space, distance not really an issue) there's the equivalent of an astral flare at the entrance and exit of the gate, which temporarily raises the background count of the area and potentially attracts all kinds of nasty things, like dragons and free spirits, who want to know what the heck is twisting the manasphere in such a wierd way. Let's just say that he stopped casting Gate unless the group decided that it was really, really necessary. If you want to go to Paris, take the plane, unless you want to deal with several large, curious, European dragons of as a welcoming party. devil.gif
Kagetenshi
Problem is, that raises the question of why the dragons aren't able to Gate. And if they are, well... also, Harlequin really should be able to, and as for that pretty much all IEs, and then you've suddenly made things that people already complain about being too powerful and unkillable even more so.

~J
Req
Harley and company are "statless" NPCs. Thus there's really not any such thing as "too powerful." smile.gif
moosegod
What this games needs, badly is some Immortal Dwarves.

"Ay laddie, we stayed around during the downtime to teach those pansies a lesson!"
The Cheshire Penguin
You're right. In my campaign, great dragons and lots of the IE's (though not all) are capable of casting some really, really nasty stuff, including Gate. Of course, in my campaign, the current nemeses of the group include a couple of the worst horrors ever to walk across the metaplanes (Verjigorm being one of them), so gating to Mars isn't really going to save anybody's hoop, and they know it. Also, just because they -can- cast things like Gate doesn't mean they do it without breaking a sweat (or bursting a hemisphere, as it were), or that they cast spells like Retroactive Annihilation to punch holes through a ream of paper 5 minutes ago. The big nasty metaspells have serious consequences, and the Dragons, the IEs, and my PC's know it.
gknoy
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Problem is, that raises the question of why the dragons aren't able to Gate. And if they are, well... also, Harlequin really should be able to, and as for that pretty much all IEs, and then you've suddenly made things that people already complain about being too powerful and unkillable even more so.

~J

It might be that they can cast things like that, which seriously warp the astral fabric, but have determined that it's generally unwise to do so except perhaps in the direst situations ... and most of them have the mojo, contacts, skill, and mojo (yes, I said it twice smile.gif) to be able to have more mundane and less-destructive solutions that they can pull out of a hat at any time needed. smile.gif
Sahandrian
MitS does actually give direct support for spells which manipulate gravity.

Which, by extension, would mean the possibility of teleportation and time travel?
Kagetenshi
Where?

~J
moosegod
I think he means levitation
ShieldT
Wasn't it in DC's DK2 where the government chained Flash to a treadmill/turbine and had him power the eastern seaboard for the rest of his life?

Heh, I'm guessing that most Quickenings are seperated from whatever they're affecting, but if one is incorporated in a process such as a generator then all mechanical parts receiving the energy may be magically charged in a kind of fallout. Or maybe not.

I think that if you give a Quickened spell a physical body with the intent of giving it a perpetrual task you've created a spirit and that could just get tricky. There probably IS a union.

P.S/ As far as I know from Awakenings, Divination is a read the present spell. It tracks auras and intentions over a very extended range and draws up a list of what's extremely likely to happen if conditions aren't changed, but it's no real guarentee, just an amazingly well researched prediction.
Sahandrian
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Dec 9 2003, 10:00 PM)
Where?

QUOTE (moosegod @ Dec 9 2003, 10:02 PM)
I think he means levitation

No, I'm not that oblivious to paragraph headers (Levitation being in telekinetic manips). Look at the table on the top right of page 55 in MitS.

The last item on that list uses "control gravity" as an example of a massive enviromental change (placing it in Transformation, not Telekinetic). Gives it a base dain of S.

Area, Physical, and Sustained modifiers give "Control Gravity" a drain of +2D.
Senchae
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

Harlequin and Ehran do cast Gate at the end of the Harlequin module.

At least, that's one possible interpretation of their disappearances.
The Cheshire Penguin
I knew I'd seen the effect of a Gate spell having something to do with Harlequin! Thanks Senchae; I feel vindicated.
Fortune
Technically, I believe they use a sort of Earthdawn-era Metamagic whereby they can physically enter the Astral.
Kagetenshi
Woo! So still no teleportation. Good.

~J
BitBasher
at the speed fast movement goes with thie INT, it might as well be teleportation, of all purposes it really is.
Kagetenshi
For all practical purposes, yes. For all theoretical purposes, very very very no.
Hell, for all practical purposes, Newton was right.

~J
Fenrir
QUOTE (Senchae @ Dec 10 2003, 02:05 PM)
Harlequin and Ehran do cast Gate at the end of the Harlequin module.

At least, that's one possible interpretation of their disappearances.

My point of view is that they use high force Air Elementary to travel...
The Cheshire Penguin
That 'enter the astral physically' is called Netherwalk. Also in the uber-powerful metamagic category.
The Cheshire Penguin
For all proctical purposes, I don't think we're really discussing what's possible/not possible in Shadowrun in canon. We're discussing what's possible or not possible in our own game universes. Whether Netherwalk, Gate, or 'just' high level air elementary is used to get from point A to point B at rediculous speed, it's still not canon, and all of them can be argued to have a precedent, depending on how you interpret vague things that some of the super-powerful people in the novels/adventures have done.
Kagetenshi
Actually, we are discussing canon, specifically the interpretation of whether or not the restrictions on sorcery apply to magic in general. I'd say they do, but we can't get a canon interpretation of the canon statement.

~J
BitBasher
And in the Harlequin example, this is something he has done in canon, several times.
Kagetenshi
Yes, but do we have a canon answer for exactly how he does it? If the answer is that he physically enters the astral, it's not teleportation, and the can of worms isn't opened.

~J
Ol' Scratch
And by that style of canon (ie, literature instead of rules), vampires can have cyberware, too. I tend to dismiss literature as "canon" for those purposes; authors tend to ignore rules (or are completely oblivious to them) for storytelling purposes, just like GMs do.

I think when they said that the novels and whatnot are "canon" they were referring to the storylines, not necessarily the rules interpretations/house rules included therein.
The Cheshire Penguin
I will be amazed when someone actually finds 'proof' one way or the other.

I'm curious: why is it important if super-magic is canon or not?
krishcane
About the magic-powered generators concept.... just for fun, here's a little bit of physics to calculate just how much bang you get for your drain. Obviously, it would vary a lot by the spell and the interpretation of how it works, not to mention mana-efficiency questions, but it's a starting point....

Let's take Magic Fingers, which is basic telekinesis allowing you to move something at MagicRating x successes Meters/Turn. Let's say a skilled but uninitiated mage with a Force 6 spell gets 6 successes, so that's 36 m/T, or 12 meters/second. Let's say the same mage can get 6 successes with TNs of 6 (reasonably generous, no?). That let's him move an object of just under 300 kg (at 300 kg, TN would be 7).

Let's say he moves the object straight up at 12 meters/second, and then lets it fall, releasing the energy into some kind of generator arm. The potential energy added during his lifting it up is Mass*gravityaccel*distance, which in this case is (300 kg * 10 m/s^2 * 12 meters) each second, or 36,000 Joules per second. In other words, that's 36 KW.

The United States right now uses a rough total of about 10^12 Watts of electrical power (thank you, Google), or 1 billion KW. You would need around 27.8 million Quickened Force 6 Magic Finger spells to run this country.

Now, on an individual basis, developed countries average 7.5 KW per person of power use and undeveloped countries around 1.1 KW per person (round-the-clock -- you use more when you drive, for example, but you only drive a short time). Based on that, a highly skilled (Shadowrunner-grade) mage could provide power for a family of 4 in the developed world, or a talented shaman could maybe run a generator that supplies a whole primitive village of 30 people with minimal appliances.

A crappy mage (say, 2 successes on 99 kg with Magic rating 4) might generate only 2.7 KW, or just enough to run his electronics. An amazing mage (say, 6 successes on TN 10 (700 kg) with Magic rating 12) might generate 168 KW, or enough for 22 people in the developed world -- maybe his whole apartment complex.

Now, in terms of cost... 1 KW-hour of electricity costs about $0.10 right now. If your average mage charges say 5000 nuyen per point of karma for the Quickened spell, then one 36 KW spell (Force 6, cast by a very good mage) costs you 30,000 nuyen. That's being generous -- assuming the mage doesn't charge you any on-going fees for that link back to him. You would expect 300,000 KW-hours for that in electrical terms, at retail prices, so this spell needs to stay up for 8333 hours (or just under a year) to pay the mage's fee. That's not counting the generator system, security for the area, and the distribution cost. We can assume that break-even on this would be several years, and it's fragile -- manastorms, wandering spirits, terrorism, astral bacteria... all these things could damage it easily.

For these reasons, I don't think you'd see this operating at an industrial scale. In the backwoods of the Amazon, you may well see it as an alternative to burning the local resources, but in modern areas, it would just be too expensive and complex.

Oh, for vehicle-use purposes by Shadowrunners to reduce op-tempo cost.... an automobile at 40 mph uses around 100 KW. It would be hard to generate that much power from a single Quickened spell, and an automobile is a relatively inexpensive vehicle to operate, and 40 mph is a slow speed.

--K
Prospero
QUOTE (The Cheshire Penguin)
I will be amazed when someone actually finds 'proof' one way or the other.

I'm curious: why is it important if super-magic is canon or not?

Well, if things like teleportation are possible with magic then it means that magic throws physics out the window totally. That opens up the door for a lot of crazy things to happen and, IMHO, really damages the realistic feel of the game. Even if this stuff is rare, having people teleport here and there or time travel or change universal constants is, I feel at least, against the grain of the shadowrun world. It makes things more cartoony, more like your avg. DnD game which is not what I want out of Shadowrun. Even the really powerful players like the Great Dragons should have to abide by certain universal, physical laws. Magic has given the world a new way to work with those laws, but (I hope) not the ability to totally circumvent them. If these things are cannon, it really changes to game world, fundamentally. If they're not, it upholds my view of the shadowrun universe (fairly realistic) and also allows you (or anyone else who wants supermagic stuff) to incorporate it, since that kind of thing wouldn't exactly be on the news at 11.
Kagetenshi
Prospero said it.
I'm a hermetic at heart. I like everything to fit nicely into the rules. Retroactive annihilation doesn't fit nicely into the rules.

~J
Dende
Prospero,
I would just like to point out that that kind of stuff isn't done in DnD much...There is a dimensional gate spell, and higher level teleport spells, but it is by no means a common occurence, and actually more befitting a Sci Fi game, ala teleportation from Asimov and many others...including Star Trek...and is easily explained in all of those dimensionally, which SR has stayed entirely away from(cept for Astral Plane)

Just my 2 cents.
Kagetenshi
About D&D: one word: Wish.

Another word: deities.

~J
Prospero
QUOTE (Dende)
Prospero,
I would just like to point out that that kind of stuff isn't done in DnD much...There is a dimensional gate spell, and higher level teleport spells, but it is by no means a common occurence, and actually more befitting a Sci Fi game, ala teleportation from Asimov and many others...including Star Trek...and is easily explained in all of those dimensionally, which SR has stayed entirely away from(cept for Astral Plane)

Just my 2 cents.

In the sense that your average party isn't going to do much teleporting, yeah, probably, at least until they get into the higher levels. But it tends to be a very visible and obvious part of the world, even if only higher-level characters can do it. Hell, there's even a prestige class specifically designed for teleporting PCs to improve accuracy, etc, and to band magic-using teleporters together so they can unionize and charge merchants more to teleport caravans from city to city (or whatever). I would say that its pretty prevalent in DnD - at least in terms of feel. And in campaign settings like Forgotten Realms you have permament Gates set up all over the place, teleporting people who knows where - its even a feature on the DnD web site.

And as far as SF goes - yeah, a lot of SF has teleportation, definatly. There are lots of explanations, but none of them are any more than mumbo jumbo, really - they might as well be a teleportation spell. I'm not saying that's inherently wrong. But the heart of Shadowrun is near-term hard, gritty SF - and near-term hard, gritty Fantasy, too, which you can't find anywhere else and is one of the major pieces of Shadowrun's genius (for me). Shadowrun is the only RPG I know of and one of the only works of fiction I know of to make fantasy play by science's rules and I think it would be a shame to disregard that.

Edit: Kagetenshi's right on the money. Available and very, very visible supermagic.
Herald of Verjigorm
I followed this and then grew bored.

Immortal elves have access to Earthdawn ritual magic, there are multiple fast as thought travel methods in Earthdawn (shift to astral and shift to fire come to mind).

Harlequin is the only non-dragon to learn the basics of Dragon Magic™, which can reshape the planet at will but draws a lot of attention if used whimsically.

High power magic is completely supported in the FASA material and by association the FanPro material, but if any PC gets to that power level the standard rules are no longer sufficient to explain the reality he must deal with.
gknoy
QUOTE (ShieldT @ Dec 10 2003, 01:25 AM)
I think that if you give a Quickened spell a physical body with the intent of giving it a perpetrual task you've created a spirit and that could just get tricky.  There probably IS a union.

I'd hate to see the picket line =)

Also, Kagetenshi and Prospero echo my sentiments -- I tend to see Magic less as wish-for-some-effect, and more of having to follow certain underlying rules, some of which we may not understand or recognize the existence of (e.g., gravity has always been around, even if we never thought about it as a physical law until Newton came around).

Yes, that means I'd be a hermetic mage. wink.gif But, I don't think shamans are able to really do anythiung fundamentally different, so I think they (or their totems) are also bound by rules. I could be wrong on the they-can't-do-fundamentally-different-things part, of course, since I haven't read the magic rules and books in as much detail. wink.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
And by that style of canon (ie, literature instead of rules), vampires can have cyberware, too. I tend to dismiss literature as "canon" for those purposes; authors tend to ignore rules (or are completely oblivious to them) for storytelling purposes, just like GMs do.

I think when they said that the novels and whatnot are "canon" they were referring to the storylines, not necessarily the rules interpretations/house rules included therein.

While this is very true, the Harlequin example was not only from the novels, but also from the modules.
Prospero
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm @ Dec 11 2003, 10:38 PM)
I followed this and then grew bored.

Immortal elves have access to Earthdawn ritual magic, there are multiple fast as thought travel methods in Earthdawn (shift to astral and shift to fire come to mind).

Harlequin is the only non-dragon to learn the basics of Dragon Magic™, which can reshape the planet at will but draws a lot of attention if used whimsically.

High power magic is completely supported in the FASA material and by association the FanPro material, but if any PC gets to that power level the standard rules are no longer sufficient to explain the reality he must deal with.

You're misrepresenting my argument. I'm not saying there shouldn't be high-power magic. High power magic is perfectly fine with me - it's definatly cannon. Anyone remember the Great Ghost Dance? But high powered things can come from science, too - nukes, to give an example. Or semi-orbitals. Or space stations. What I'm against is magic that breaks the rules - time-travel, retroactive annihilation, instantaneous teleportation, etc. If you can shift your physical body into the astral and go somewhere at astral speeds, that's fine with me. That speed is one of the basic laws of astral space and, while no Shadowrun (meta)human magician has been known to go physically into the astral, spirits can make make their astral bodies physical, so certainly something exists to govern this. Energy and matter shift states, they are not created or destroyed, etc. Hermetics could theoretically find some law that governs this transformation. The same thing with Dragon Magic: it can reshape the face of the world, yes. But if some scientifically minded Great Dragon or some uberpowerful hermetic were to be able to study it enough, they could figure out how it does what it does. A meteor strike can (and probably has at least at some point in Earth's history) reshaped our world. Things like that aren't the problem.

I don't know that much about Earthdawn, having only played 1 campaign in that world since it came out and that only from the base book. But there are things there that I feel sure FASA would have never let into Shadowrun, no matter what. (Seas of lava? Crystal Raider ships?) Despite the fact that the two systems are connected, they are two totally different games with different "feels" and agendas and I think that FanPro is totally justified in separating them as much as possible. Still, I do feel that if a modern Hermetic got a look at anything from Earthdawn, he could, with enough time and know-how, explain how it does what it does using known physical laws (including magical ones) without resorting to things that totally disregard physics.
Edit: fixed dumb typos
kryton
Going away from techno-magic what about other forms of magic esc? With the rift in DC there's an astral rift right? All sorts of funky things are coming through. So that leaves the door open for all kinds of funky style of stuff. I'm running a Boston based game so I thought paying homage to old Lovecraft would be cool. So what sort of "other magic types" or "spirit" types could exist? The possibilities are endless.

Ideas I had were "Cthulu type of creatures that are basically spirits ect" creating some new rules for summoning and controlling. One idea I had was a ritual for summoning and a spell for binding them or they go free right away. They wouldn’t be necessarily 100% Cthulu but they would have that “flavor”. I have a “book of the dead” that was retrieved from a research area on an Island of Cape Cod. The book has the needed rituals and spells.

Setting up rules using ritual magic and other forms of summoning could be interesting. Possibly a form of meta-magic or a different “path” of magic. Not all magic is going to be wholly terrestrial based. I’ve always thought of magic as sort of a pond. The pond is the water, the universe and stuff. The lily pads are “planes of existence” as we know them. When the wind blows or by float the lily pads overlap a bit. That’s why the fantasy part of Shadowrun ebb’s in and out of existence. For all intensive purposes there would be a fossil record of what came along previously. That fossil record disappeared. This is one reason. It doesn’t really matter why? It’s a game that’s it just a game.

I read earlier that there is no movement via 3 flying ect? I thought about it and why not? Why couldn’t there be. If you can produce a powerful force or other type of power then why not a more sustained tempered power for movement or levitation? Granted the spell would have to be sustained but as long as you make some reasonable spell guidelines to base speed and how it relates to successes go for it. I think for Shadowrun the world is open. New spells are like technology in that they are constantly being invented and perfected. Maybe some guy later on down the line comes up with a spell that’s more efficient…… One idea I had was what would happen if say an entity that is on another nearby plane were to “aid” or give power to “burned out mages”. Who would be more corruptible than a burned out mage. Could a burned out mage or mundane “borrow” the power from a spirit from the beyond. That could be interesting?
kryton
One thing though I haven’t seen are spells having a direct effect on spirits that are “manifested” in our world. If they are manifested isn’t their consciousness focused on this world or is it dual natured as well? I think it use to be they had dual consciousness or something…..I wonder what would happen if one consciousness got drunk????

Another question can free spirits be born free. Can they sort of become the embodiment of say a group experience or social group? Say for a neighborhood could a spirit just pop into existence as the embodiment of the social or social psychology of the neighborhood? With that in mind what if each neighborhood had either a conscious or a semi-conscious spirit that sort of “hangs” out from time to time. I thought that would be an interesting idea approach for old neighborhoods. As the neighborhood changes so does the spirit. Seeking not to change it might pay runners to perform some “urban renewal” on the Yuppies that seek to gentrify the areas? Something interesting. I remember an old comic called warlock 5 (1986) that was similar to that. The only difficult idea would be deciding what makes a “neighbor”. Boundaries aren’t always cut and dry so it would have to very “general”. For Boston it would be something like “The north End” is easy but for Kenmore Square or areas it may be difficult. I like the idea of a neighborhood guardian who has his own agenda. Maybe good maybe bad, especially if the neighborhood gets polluted. (For a BU spirit it might be spirit looking like cross between an angry SKA wanna be and a Frat boy.) Additionally their power might fluctuate depending on the strength of the shared social experience and the mana levels.
The Cheshire Penguin
Don't get me wrong. It's not like spells like Gate, Teleport, or Time Travel (which hasn't happend yet in my game) are cast willy nilly by PCs in every encounter... it's more like once or twice a year, game-time. The house rules are stringent and very effective at explaining how things happen, from a sci-fi/magic perspective even. Teleporting is within the realm of sci-fi, and I'm sure you could come up with a good enough explanation about how something could teleport without the use of magic. Parallel universes come to mind. Wormholes are totally within the realm of plausible, even likely, physics. Time Travel, at least in my game, is controlled by the Paradox Rule: while time travel backwards is possible, it's -not- possible in your own time-line, since to alter your own time-line would be to make it not your own (time travel makes my head hurt anyway). You can go back in a virtually identical timeline, and kill your own grandparents, which makes no difference to -you-, because it's not your own timeline. Get me?

A sci-fi explanation of a Gate could be as simple (ummm, well, maybe not so simple) as creating a localized space-time distortion and keeping it open with magical strange matter (I think that's what the stuff is called... I'm a little hazy on my quantum theory). Not a physical impossiblity, but it would make one heck of a show in astral space.

On the other hand, if you think this sort of thing is game-unbalancing (ie. you can't think of how you could control the player's use of such a power if they got ahold of it) then don't allow it. I'm just saying that we've come up with rules that make sense for it; we didn't just make up crack-headed magic as say, "Well, it's magic!" like they do in D&D.
BitBasher
Doctor Funky said:
Bad example, vamps with cyberware are totally canon, novels AND modules. As long as they had the cyber installed and paid for in essence before they were infected. For rules reference, and A canon NPC with stats stats see the DNA/DOA character of Nemesis. No rules have been written to contradict or supercede this specific case yet, therefore according to the SR3 BBB it still stands. biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
The thing about teleportation is that it involves something moving from one place to another without having passed through the intervening space. Wormholes involve travelling through an intervening space that isn't the usual intervening space; Star Trek-style Transporters involve either transporting the component particles of someone and reassembling them or transporting the information that is them, destroying the copy at the original location, and creating an exact copy at the destination (source: The Physics of Star Trek) (on a side note, this creates the interesting question of whether or not the person that comes out is the person that went in, or if that original person died in the destruction of their body and the copy just thinks it is is the original). Those are questionable but fine within the realm of physics (except for the "Heisenburg Compensator", but this not being a Star Trek forum we'll leave that well enough alone).
Allow teleportation, though, and you break the game. Even just allowing the things I've already mentioned breaks the game. The ability to Transport involves the ability to disintegrate, so now you've got an überpowerful combat spell. The ability to use wormholes means that you can gate ANYWHERE. For instance, you can open a portal to the sun in front of the Aztechnology Corporate Headquarters for a few dozen femptoseconds and destroy huge amounts of stuff (well, maybe longer, but not long).

~J
Prospero
@ Chesire Penguin - I'm all for house rules; it sounds like you've at least thought things out fairly well, so if you and your players want to have those elements in your game, more power to you. I, personally, would not, therefore I wouldn't want them in cannon (yeah, okay, its not that I can't ignore cannon if I want to, but I'd rather not have to if I can help it). Again, I would say that while all of those elements are within the theoretical boundaries of science fiction, none of them are remotely close to near-term hard SF/F which is what Shadowrun is at its core and what I like so much about it.

@kryton: A lot of the things you're talking about already exist in the rules, more or less. You want neighborhood spirits? They're the local city spirits. No city spirit is just a bland, "generic" city spirit (though perhaps ones in heavily urbanized areas with few actual inhabitants would be closer than most) that gets conjured. All of them are tied to the area they are called from. And then all you have to do is incoportate the rules for spontaneous manifestion from MitS. Viola - neighborhood spirits. And, even, spirits for various buildings. The older and more historic buildings might even have strong agendas, especially if the residents all feel similar on one or more topics, or have in the past.

And there is a free spirit - a shadow, I think - that has organized a cult to give power back to burn-outs. Its in Threats 2, but I can't remember the name (don't own the book myself). Its pretty freaky. Something like that would go well with Cthulu-flavored spirits, which could be cool. If you have Awakenings (an SRII book) then you should check out Azroth the God - really freaky stuff and could be really cool in a Cthulu-inspired campaign. Whether or not you have that, check out the Twisted Way and the Corrupted stuff if MitS. I personally wouldn't require a spell to bind them, just so that conjuing adepts who got caught up with the thing could call them, too - maybe handle it more like Invoking, with multiple conjuring tests against different TNs.

Anyway, I think the idea is cool. If you have some rules/stats for the things, perhaps you wouldn't mind dropping them my way?
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Bad example, vamps with cyberware are totally canon, novels AND modules. As long as they had the cyber installed and paid for in essence before they were infected. For rules reference, and A canon NPC with stats stats see the DNA/DOA character of Nemesis. No rules have been written to contradict or supercede this specific case yet, therefore according to the SR3 BBB it still stands. biggrin.gif

Save for most rules relating to regeneration. See the Immortal Flower magical compound as an example. It grants people the *temporary* power of Regeneration, and because of that, cyberware becomes badly damaged as the body tries to push it out. And that's just temporary use of the power.

But if you like, I can start compiling a list of all the rules broken in novels and modules (and no, I don't consider modules to be much better than novels regarding rules breaking -- just because they include characters supposedly created with the rules, that doesn't mean they're automatically rendered acceptable within the domain of the actual rules... and more often than not, they're just whipped together by the author to suit whatever they're writing about than genuinely "created").
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
The thing about teleportation is that it involves something moving from one place to another without having passed through the intervening space.

almost related bit: read up on the applied improbability that is quantum tunneling. Functionally surpasses the speed of light without taking a shortcut, it just skips a region of space (although many many particles have to attempt the same path to get any consequential tunneling).

There, spontaneous teleportation is something in modern physics that has actually been tested and proven real (not going to find a site that supports but there was a great documentary segment about the accidental proof of tunneling, ask for details)

If there is a real though improbable way of accomplishing a concept, magic may be able to improve the chances to a level that is somewhat feasible.
Kagetenshi
No, those are a matter of things that have a chance of being somewhere suddenly being where they have a chance of being. They didn't change locations so much as their location was suddenly something different.
You could do that if you had something to manipulate probability, but... ewww... being able to manipulate probability to that extent is even worse. It's a lot less improbable that any given person will suddenly drop dead than that someone will suddenly be somewhere else they might be.

~J
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
No, those are a matter of things that have a chance of being somewhere suddenly being where they have a chance of being. They didn't change locations so much as their location was suddenly something different.

And that is perfectly teleportation, A to D without B or C which are in between regardless of how close B is to A and C is to D.
Kagetenshi
Well... I suppose you could say so. I still say you couldn't control it.

~J
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Dec 12 2003, 01:24 AM)
I still say you couldn't control it.

I never said you should be able to control it well. Just make a high energy ritual (5 day base casting time, (number of travelers*2)D base drain) for the equivalent of "Teleport within 100km of target" where the distance will usually be along the curvature of the earth.

double time to halve drain repeat as desired, divide successes between reducing time and accuracy level
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012