Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reality intrudes....
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
D.Generate
props for being off topic? Doing that isn't hard, props should be given ifa thread stays on topic for more than 15 posts. And hey anytime you need a topic brought down just let me know I seem to be very good at it.
gknoy
QUOTE (D.Generate @ Dec 12 2003, 05:35 PM)
props for being off topic?  Doing that isn't hard, props should be given ifa thread stays on topic for more than 15 posts.  And hey anytime you need a topic brought down just let me know I seem to be very good at it.

Hey, I'd just like to publically apologize for jumping on you so hard about the grammar thing; while I do feel that it's one's duty to use the best writing one can, I completely failed the "respecting others" part; in retrospect, all I did was fan the fires with a flame of my own. As Dim Sum said, you were /apologizing/, and I completely missed it. Sorry, D.Generate. I'll try and be more considerate in the future. smile.gif

[edit]Edited to spell Dim Sum correctly. Because I can't type worth crap =D
Thanks tanka, that was exactly the humor I needed to see this evening. grinbig.gif
[/edit]
Tanka
QUOTE (gknoy @ Dec 12 2003, 06:25 PM)
QUOTE (D.Generate @ Dec 12 2003, 05:35 PM)
props for being off topic?  Doing that isn't hard, props should be given ifa thread stays on topic for more than 15 posts.  And hey anytime you need a topic brought down just let me know I seem to be very good at it.

Hey, I'd just like to publically apologize for jumping on you so hard about the grammar thing; while I do feel that it's one's duty to use the best writing one can, I completely failed the "respecting others" part; in retrospect, all I did was fan the fires with a flame of my own. As Sim Sum said, you were /apologizing/, and I completely missed it. Sorry, D.Generate. I'll try and be more considerate in the future. smile.gif

You spelled "Dim Sum" wrong, you doofus!

</obligatory not-serious flame>
Dog
*sigh* Everyone gets a chance to speak....
D. Gen: You'll understand when you're older. But thanks.

Damn, feels like I'm turning you guys into a support group....!
Voran
QUOTE (Dog)
Thanks for your input guys, I've also noticed that the longer a person plays this game, the less bloodthirsty their characters get.

Also interesting to note who's posting on this topic......

I've found my tastes have changed as well. Unless I'm in a game setting thats completely out there, like the RIFTs setting, I've found that I am less likely to play characters that use lethal force as readily as I did when I was younger and newer to the game setting.

Especially in SR, which even with its tech, still strikes me on some levels as more 'real life'. My 1st edition chars were chromed up sams or mercs, blazing away with wild abandon.

Nowadays, my character tends to be just as bio/cyber/magic enhanced as my first character, but less likely to kill. Its interesting to see. I wouldn't call my approach pacifistic by any means. I don't shy away from using violence to achieve goals in the game, but my character usually carries both non-lethal and lethal rounds. I'll pull out the potentially lethal gear when faced by stuff too dumb to realize I'm trying to show some restraint (some critters, gang members, etc), rarely EVER use lethal ammo during any sort of corpfacility intrusion, or pull the lethal stuff when faced by foes so significant a threat that they need to be put down as soon as possible, and made to stay down.

Abstruse
I'm in the unfortunately circumstance of haing most of my players come from a RPG background that involves a certain fantasy game that uses those weird-shaped dice. Therefore, they tend to be of the "Kick-in-the-door-and-kill-everyone-and-grab-the-loot-and-interrogate-the-corpses" types. But I will convert them. I will. The first time they fire a gun at a security guard and notice the PANICBUTTON alarm going off because the sound carried through damn near the entire near-empty complex at 3 in the morning, followed by much heavier armed security guards and a nice 10 or so squadcars showing up with shotguns and snipers ready...

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not squeemish about death in my games. I just think there's a time and a place for it. And on 90% of the runs out there, if you have to draw your gun, you've already hosed the run. But life is cheap in the Sixth World, and the players crave a big action scene. It's just not generally a good idea to start blasting your guns most of the time.

I once met a man who saw active duty in Vietnam. He was the scariest person I've ever met in my life. Because I could see in his eyes that he knew death. That he had been Death. This man had seen people he cared about die in front of his eyes, and he'd seen young men, some barely into their teens, breathe their last breath because of actions he himself had taken. I will never forget that man's eyes until the day I die.

The Abstruse One
Kagetenshi
If you have a Yellow Crystal, interrogating the corpses can work well.

~J
Solstice
Well Degenerate has no clue wtf he is talking about obviously.

In my experience, my personal feelings on killing are not an issue while I game. I play my character and I act based on my characters feelings on death, destruction etc. I've been around killing, death and hurt people and that makes me more compassionate toward others.

But I tend to play characters who are callous killers because RPGs are escape for me and playing a character that has to deal with the same things I have had to deal with in real life is just too hard and not how I want to spend my evening.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012