Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Character Creation System
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Zolhex
QUOTE (Fortune)
[QUOTE=E.O.T.L.F.,Dec 11 2003, 07:55 PM] Ok looked up and read tattoo magic don't see where it is an optional rule at all...[/quote]
[/QUOTE]
It's an optional rule, being that t isn't in the core SR3 rule book. All other books (and their contents) are considered to be optional.
[QUOTE]but it is a metamagical technique so you can't do it till you become an initiate then you need the skill of enchanting, (to make ink) talismongering, (to collect) how about artistry (to draw properly) and lastly the skill of tattooing just to do tattoo magic.[/QUOTE]
The character does not need any of the above except the Tattooing skill and the actual Metamagic itself. He can easily purchase the ingredients necessary from a talismonger.

As for the required cooking skill for fresh raw fish... biggrin.gif

The only time an optional rule is considered optional by me and those I game with is if it says optional rule before outlineing what the rule is.

As to you theory on not needing the skills I listed and that tattooing is all that is needed aside from the metamagical technique your wrong.

Tattooing needed.
Enchanting needed.
Talismongering helpfull but yes you can buy the radicals.
Artistry to draw. As stated in the text third paragraph p. 78 mits under tattoo magic first sentance.
Once the inks are prepared, the artist can begin work.

If for some reason you think I am wrong as to enchanting please read p.78 mits under tattoo magic last sentence of the first paragraph.
This variation of quickening must be learned as a separate metamagical technique and requires Enchanting Skill (see p. 30) and the Tattooing Skill.

As to the cooking skill seemed right seeing as it was put as
if properly fresh
so cooking as to prep it other wise i'd would have said fishing.
Kagetenshi
The artist. Not necessarily the mage. You can hire someone for that part.

~J
Prospero
E.O.T.L.F - if I may ask something. This is going to sound insulting - please don't take it that way, becaue I don't mean it in that light. But I honestly have difficulty reading your posts because they only have punctuation at the end of the paragraph. Using some punctuation will improve your argument. Thank you and I apologize if that sounds insulting - I truly don't mean it to be.

As to the chargen issues: If you have a character with 6 in Sorcery, Conjuring, and whatever else you want, plus all the spells you want, plus all the attributes you want... Why are you playing the character anymore? I work and sweat for the karma to buy all those things when I play a character. When I have everything that I could want with the character, I start to look towards retirement. If there's great roleplay still going on with the character, okay, he can stay around, but in terms of advancement... I'd rather make a new character who has faults and difficulties and has to scramble to improve himself and his lot in life. Granted, for magic-types there's always initiation and always another magical bad-ass who's badder than you are, but ubermagical threat of the week gets a little tiring after a while, don't you think?
Zolhex
QUOTE (Yum Donuts)
Ok, first of all, I don't think you understand the definition of "power gaming" I intentionally didn't call you a munchkin

Second, if you didn't know about tattooing, you aren't reading the rule books.

You should have also read that the person casting the spell does not need to be the one tattooing. you can buy all that stuff, it's not like mages get much else to spend money on.

Comparing shadowrun's chargen to rifts is absurd enough to be worthy of a multiple page essay.

On the concept of Metas: you keep mentioning that you're returning it to a previous system of SR rules as if that was a good thing. you don't here computer programers building state of the art computers and installing windows 3.1 on them. you don't see cartographers going back to the Flat-Earth idea. things evolve for a reason, if you want to go back, you're going to need a darn good reason.

I don't like Dwarfs or Orks????? is that why I have 3 of each as characters? Yeah that must be it of course I also have 3 Elves 3 Trolls & 3 Humans see I beleive in balance!!!!

wow... have you been checked for OCD? I have characters of all races too, but I don't sit around making sure I have exactly equal numbers of each. I make what I feel like.

I never said you didn't make well rounded characters. I am just mildly implying that perhaps you should leave the chargen system up to the professionals.

Ok my misunderstanding sorry and i'll concede to being a power gamer I guess at least as you explain it.

Actually I have read mits but I was unsure of tattoo and it's classification of rule till I rechecked it and found out it was just a metamagical thing.

As to having someone else do the tattooing read my other post where it states the requirements for tattoo magic.

As to Rifts and compareing it to Shadowrun I was not doing that I was just stateing I make characters for games useing the rules to the best of my ability to make a character that can survive. In another post on this site some are saying that starting magically active characters could die easier this is true to a point so I build one that if I roll good it will survive because of spells and spirits.

A darn good reason lets see the reason given in first and second was pretty good metahumans are not very excessive in the sixth world (at least not yet) and I do not see that ten years could change that all that much so as to make Dwarfs and Orks more available than Elves and Trolls.

So going backwards yes but in this case it seems right. As to computer programers and cartographers your right but then again they don't go out and write a new version of something just to please themselves. WHILE I have no proof that is what happened when Mullville? took over I would love to here Dowds thoughts on this new layout for metahumans seeing as he was involved with the first two editions.

As to ocd sorry no not me I just like to have the same number of races. I also make what I feel like And what I feel like playing is all the different races so I create an even amount of each race in order to have a bigger selection to choose from.

I did leave the chargen system up to the professionals they screwed it up to a certian point they themselves fixed somethings that were not broken.
Zolhex
QUOTE (Prospero)
E.O.T.L.F - if I may ask something. This is going to sound insulting - please don't take it that way, becaue I don't mean it in that light. But I honestly have difficulty reading your posts because they only have punctuation at the end of the paragraph. Using some punctuation will improve your argument. Thank you and I apologize if that sounds insulting - I truly don't mean it to be.

As to the chargen issues: If you have a character with 6 in Sorcery, Conjuring, and whatever else you want, plus all the spells you want, plus all the attributes you want... Why are you playing the character anymore? I work and sweat for the karma to buy all those things when I play a character. When I have everything that I could want with the character, I start to look towards retirement. If there's great roleplay still going on with the character, okay, he can stay around, but in terms of advancement... I'd rather make a new character who has faults and difficulties and has to scramble to improve himself and his lot in life. Granted, for magic-types there's always initiation and always another magical bad-ass who's badder than you are, but ubermagical threat of the week gets a little tiring after a while, don't you think?

Ok sorry if I have missed some punctuation need to learn to sleep more either that or invent the sleep regulator.

As to what to do with my charcater if I start out with alot of stuff ok lets see:
Attributes taken to 1.5 x racial max.
Skills you can never have enough skills there is alway some skill you will find a need for from time to time. then there is inproving your skills you do have.
Also I don't start initiated so there is that as well as creating an ally.

So lots to work on with a magically active character.
Tanka
QUOTE (E.O.T.L.F. @ Dec 11 2003, 03:17 AM)
QUOTE (tanka @ Dec 10 2003, 10:35 PM)
This then means that all Mages will Tattoo +Str, +Qui, +Bod,

Tattoo ????? is this more of the optional rules that you use????

You're right, partially, and so is the rest of the crew.

It does require Enchanting and Tattooing skills.

However, nowhere does it say that you must roll the dice. You can get a professional tattoo artist who also, strangely enough, happens to be able to Enchant.

It mentions the Yakuza using this a lot. How many Yakuza members do you think are magically active? Probably not enough to say that they each do their own.
Dende
For that matter how often do you think you will find an artist among the Yakuza ranks? Especially being the rigious training required to do art in Japan.
All professional artists(no longer true for cartoonists and a few other professions) are trained classicly, meaning more than a year just for the first stroke type of the brush... I really don't see any Yakua having set aside chunks of their lives to learn to draw..
Zolhex
Ok the artistry skill was complementary to tattooing. I did concede and say that for what you (and yes someone else) were doing tattooing skill would be enough. Yes I do relize that there are few who know how in the yakuza but if you don't know how to do it yourself then your gonna have to find someone to do it that won't be easy. Also you spend the karma to bond the tattoo that is gonna take awhile to earn. At the same time I earn the same karma I use it to increase my physicals through running weight lifting ect.ect.. You get a tattoo or 3 now we meet in the shadows for some reason spirit vs. spirit while that is going on I get lucky and disspell your tattoos. Oops your powered down till you can rebond by which time in useing my karma to improve I far surpass you when we meet again. Tattoo magic is neat but it can be disspelled major drawback but hey you want it go for it as I said I'll take the training method.
Yum Donuts
You get a tattoo or 3 now we meet in the shadows for some reason spirit vs. spirit while that is going on I get lucky and disspell your tattoos

do you think about what you say before you speak? not to sound insulting, but seriously.

ok, you and I walk up in the street, you move to dispell one of my 3 tatoos, say Increased Willpower (4), and I put 6 karma into bonding it. now it is effectively force 12 to dispell, and knowing this, you use that high sorcery skill and spell pool you've racked up, and you manage to dispell it. and then you realize you have no spell defense dice alocated, and I kill you with a fireball, or a powerbolt.
do you realize how long it would take to dispell 3 tattooed spells? what do you think I'm going to be doing while you do that? I'm going to be shooting you with an assault rifle, or throwing grenades at you.

I might just as well say "so you put your karma into skills and such, then our characters meet, and I get lucky and shoot you in the head. now you're less powerful because you're dead."
Tanka
Yum is right, completely.

Now take this. Not only does he have all thost things Tattooed, but he also is a very large Troll, meaning he can still fit some on himself. Barrier, Bullet Barrier, and Mana Barrier seem to come to mind. What now? You sit there and stare at him as you can't figure out why the frag you can't touch him physically or magically.
Ol' Scratch
Unless he has Masking and a hell of a lot of Initiate Grades, he's going to have a heck of a time getting past even minor wards without tripping the alarms. Such characters are more of a liability on anything beyond a smash-and-grab run than an asset.
Kagetenshi
Tell Sphynx that wink.gif

~J
Tanka
So? We're going on the "what-ifs," not the actual things that could happen.

I mean, hell, E.O.T.L.F. said he just dispelled three tattoes, which probably have a dispelling force of 12.
Yum Donuts
QUOTE (tanka)
So? We're going on the "what-ifs," not the actual things that could happen.

I mean, hell, E.O.T.L.F. said he just dispelled three tattoes, which probably have a dispelling force of 12.

Without the subject of the tatoos noticing, no less, and without taking drain, and without... oh I give up.

The chargen system proposed here is lousy. that's the end result. feel free to go off on other topics, but as far as I'm concerned the main topic has been adressed. the system is just a power upgrade, is very unbalanced, and was made without a comprehensive grasp of A: the rules, B: roleplaying, or C: how the world works when playing shadowrun.
Zolhex
No offence but I think Yum just does not like what I put up here because of where I placed all metas. I say that Yum because it seems you are the biggest oppisition to having all the meta races equal the way they were ten game years ago. As I said before I can't see ten years giving Dwarfs & Orks a large enough lead so as to reduce their availabilty. But that is the case as per the concepts of third edition so what by 2070 you can be priority E for Dwarf, Ork & human? From there in 2080 it's priority E for all races? Seems to me that this is off I mean every ten years (that seems to be the scale) metas increase in dominance. So if we keep to that progression then by what 2090? 2100? humans become priority A because they are so rare? Also why Dwarfs & Orks? Elves & Dwarfs were here first then came the Orks & Trolls plus Orks & Trolls live shorter life spans (humans are not far behind). If anything would happen the world be over run by Elves & Dwarfs not Dwarfs & Orks (the Orks having the shortest life span of all races).

So Yum any thoughts? Also Yum you maybe right as to powering up the Attributes, Skills & Resources and I may make further changes that is why I posted on here. It is looking as though most people who have chimed in have said that the only real problems are that humans get screwed so lets work to gether to fix that. Now I DO NOT belive that if we as gamers come up with something that is better balanced for all races and all character types that Fanpro nor Wizkids will listen but could it hurt to try?

I mean think about it even Adam has said on these boards that it has been what 5 years sence the last overhaul and that that it is considered a long time in this industry. You have to figure that one or more of the powers that be have had the thought to move on to 4th edition (which sucks as far as I am concerned but will happen sooner or later). So why not try and come up with something they might look at?
Tanka
Actually, eventually, the UGE and Goblinizing just evens out, so, after a time, you can be any race without picking a Priority. This takes a while, however.

With the way I'm remembering; Orks (Or is it Trolls? Correct me) breed in litters. With their short lifespan, the litters die off faster than a Human being born. This makes even more equality between races, because, eventually, it's evened out. In fact, Trolls, as per the spot in SR3, are the rarest of the Metas.

With those notes, it must mean that Priority E should be Ork, C should be Troll, and everything else should be D, right?

Right?
Kagetenshi
Yeah... sometimes costs are chosen to keep things rare. Other times, they're chosen for game balance. There's a difference.
As for 4th ed, it has been clearly stated that there are no plans for it. This was several months ago, but I somehow doubt that they've found the need since then. At the very least, they're going to get all the reprints out the door before they work on another edition.

~J
Yum Donuts
Actually, it was the spell point thing that got my panties in a wad originally. it just showed such an unbalanced look at the game world that it tainted the entire rest of your system. So I brought that up, and with every post since then, you have grown further and further from what I feel the ideal character mindset should be. You're idea of how you create charcters is not how I want to see other people creating characters. therefore any character creations system that comes out with that mindset is probably going to be going in a wrong direction. And you still are making mistakes and not understanding basic concepts, for instance just because metas are evening out compared to humans does not mean that humans will increase in priority, and it definitely is not a linear increase (every 10 years it goes down). Also, you're assuming that the old rules actually were true at a time and that they have become this, when a rules system comes out, the other one must be treated as if it never existed; it's not like all of a sudden in 2060, all battles suddenly became different, just becayse SR3 changed the initiative system.

and most of the people who have chimed in have actually said "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." The priority system really is hard to revamp and do correctly, because it is so rigid. Personally, I might be for a revamp of some aspects of the chargen system, altering point costs for certain things, and doing other things like changing the price of spell points. maybe making a special rule that conjuring adepts (if not other awakened as well) can use their spell points to initiate because that's the only way they can be better at conjuring at chargen than a full mage.
Perhaps people do need to look at metas and alter their costs, but there's 3 things to keep in mind:
1: cost should reflect benefit. that is, if you make it free to play a troll, then many people will just because they can get the stat buffs at no cost. you need to have any bonuses cost something
2: cost should create the proportions in reality, so if something's rarer in the "reality" of the game world, it should be rare among people making characters too.
3: Cost should not penalize people wanting to do something for roleplaying reasons. Lets say I want to make a samurai, and I want him to be a dwarf, I shouldn't have to pay through the nose to get a dwarf, just because they're rare.
Zolhex
QUOTE (Yum Donuts)
1: cost should reflect benefit. that is, if you make it free to play a troll, then many people will just because they can get the stat buffs at no cost. you need to have any bonuses cost something
2: cost should create the proportions in reality, so if something's rarer in the "reality" of the game world, it should be rare among people making characters too.
3: Cost should not penalize people wanting to do something for roleplaying reasons. Lets say I want to make a samurai, and I want him to be a dwarf, I shouldn't have to pay through the nose to get a dwarf, just because they're rare.

Ok 1. cost reflecting benifit. Ok so your saying that the bonuses need negitives right?

2. In this point your saying what if it is rare to have the this or that in the game world then letting players have access to said item/race should be limited right?

And 3. the prob. with penalizeing the player wanting to do something for role-playing reasons sounds good. but as stated by another poster vs. your example of a dwarf. People can play a mundane dwarf or ork for free because to play a mundane human your throwing away priority d away on magic. So I moved all metas to priority c and human to d thus you dont really throw away any priority on magic. You can now use the lowest, worst priority on a useless ability magic.
Yum Donuts
And now you're hitting on why people don't use the priority system by itself. Sum to 10, Points, or BeCKS are much more common. The best fix for the priority system is not to use it.
Ol' Scratch
Right. Sum-to-Ten works just fine while keeping the flavor and style of the Priority system. In fact, it's derived from the very original design of the Shadowrun game if memory serves (I never actually owned the 1st Edition book).
Fortune
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
In fact, it's derived from the very original design of the Shadowrun game if memory serves (I never actually owned the 1st Edition book).

Yep. IIRC, it was written up for the 1st Ed. Shadowrun Companion.
Zolhex
QUOTE (Fortune)

um first edition never had a companion. the first one came out for second edition about a year before the switch to 3rd.

However yes the orginal master character creation system is sum to 10 and that was it.
Fortune
QUOTE (E.O.T.L.F. @ Dec 12 2003, 05:21 PM)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Dec 12 2003, 01:04 AM)

um first edition never had a companion. the first one came out for second edition about a year before the switch to 3rd.

Thanks. You are quite right about the Companion not being released for SR1. I had meant to write the 1st edition of the Shadowrun Companion. smile.gif

I'm not quite sure what you mean by...
However yes the orginal master character creation system is sum to 10 and that was it.

The original Character Creation System was the Priority System. Sum-to-Ten is merely a later variant of that.
Diesel
A little late to be posting this, but I don't like your priority system. It could be useful for a mage friendly highpower game, but overall it's a coked out, cranked up, maged to the max descent into point-whoring and powergaming.

Granted, I don't mind the [magical] killing machine every now and again, but those ventures are rare.

3rd edition got it down pat, and BeCKs, Point-build, and Sum-to-ten are all wonderful editions. Your priority system may work well in your campaign, but as a generality it seems overpowered and more than a little biased.

Keep at it, it's taken me several years to get the rules to how I like them, and I'm still overhauling. Good luck.
Ol' Scratch
Are you sure about that Fortune? I'm almost positive the original was Sum-to-Ten (though it was still just called "Priority").
Fortune
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Dec 12 2003, 06:32 PM)
Are you sure about that Fortune?  I'm almost positive the original was Sum-to-Ten (though it was still just called "Priority").

Yep, I'm pretty sure. The chargen system in the SR1 core book has the same basics as the one in SR3; allot each of 5 categories a letter between A and E. The variant came out later. Unfortunately, I don't have my books here to confirm it though, but I'm sure someone will look it up soon enough.
Siege
QUOTE (Fortune)
Are you sure about that Fortune?  I'm almost positive the original was Sum-to-Ten (though it was still just called "Priority").

Yep, I'm pretty sure. The chargen system in the SR1 core book has the same basics as the one in SR3; allot each of 5 categories a letter between A and E. The variant came out later. Unfortunately, I don't have my books here to confirm it though, but I'm sure someone will look it up soon enough.

I'll second that -- I remember jumping around using the priorities in 1st edition.

-Siege
Kurukami
QUOTE (Siege)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Dec 12 2003, 07:54 AM)

I'll second that -- I remember jumping around using the priorities in 1st edition.

-Siege

Yup. Sum-to-10 arose naturally shortly thereafter as a result of the priorities originally being numeric (4 bein greatest, 0 being least) rather than alphabetical. I've still got my original SR1 hardcover...

... which, oddly, has stood the test of time far better than any other SR sourcebook since. sarcastic.gif
Fortune
That's right! The SR1 Priorities were numerical, which may be what contributes to the confusion.
Ol' Scratch
Must be. smile.gif
Zolhex
QUOTE (Fortune)
The original Character Creation System was the Priority System. Sum-to-Ten is merely a later variant of that.

Sorry your right I reviewed it before posting and saw the numbering of 4,3,2,1,0. Compleatly forgeting that was the priority system before going with a,b,c,d,e.

Goes back to me needing more sleep (it's a work thing dam slave driver).
Zolhex
Ok more changes mainly back to norm. but I left the money. reallinged the magic but gave an increase to fully active so that if the player wishes to max out his character at 50 spell points it is doable. Also reduced the cost of spell points to further help in being able to achive max.

Thoughts? Comments?
Fortune
Not that I'm saying I agree with your choices, but if you're rearranging it so that it's a bit more generous to the PCs, why don't you shift the races down one notch, I.E. Huiman to Priority 'E' and Metahuman to 'D'?
Tanka
That's the original problem. A mundane newbie wouldn't understand why, after taking Resources A, Attributes B, and Skills C, he wouldn't take Race D and be an Ork or Dwarf? After all, they get more attributes, overall, than the Human at Race E.

So, virtually, there is no difference, except that people have to actually give something up to be a meta, which, IMO, is how it should be.
Raiko
My campaign started at first edition and has just been adapted to each edition as it came out.

We've always used sum-to-10, because I misunderstood the wording in first edition, and thought that that was the way you were suppost to do it.

So personally I think sum-to-10 came about because people like me misunderstood the first edition system, I didn't even know we were playing "wrong" until second edition came out.

I still prefer sum-to-10 over priority, because of the meta-human thing.
Zolhex
QUOTE (Fortune)
why don't you shift the races down one notch, I.E. Huiman to Priority 'E' and Metahuman to 'D'?

As tanka said
That's the original problem. A mundane newbie wouldn't understand why, after taking Resources A, Attributes B, and Skills C, he wouldn't take Race D and be an Ork or Dwarf? After all, they get more attributes, overall, than the Human at Race E.

If I moved everyone down then if your playing a mundane it is free to be a metahuman:
A) Resources/Skills/Attributes
B) Resources/Skills/Attributes
C) Resources/Skills/Attributes
D) Race
E) Magic.

So as this is the type of layout you would get when people made mundane characters it is better to keep metas at C. This way you have to make a choice as a mundane. I mean think about it if you make a mundane character with the current priority system you get this:

A) Resources/Skills/Attributes
B) Resources/Skills/Attributes
C) Resources/Skills/Attributes
D) Ork/Dwarf Or Magic
E) Human Or Magic

How often have you enterianed the thought of playing either an Ork or Dwarf just so you don't blow a greater priority on magic which is compleatly useless at either D or E priority? I mean if it is useless why not put it on the lowest priority?
Fortune
QUOTE (E.O.T.L.F. @ Dec 13 2003, 12:04 PM)
How often have you enterianed the thought of playing either an Ork or Dwarf just so you don't blow a greater priority on magic which is compleatly useless at either D or E priority?

Seriously, never!

Besides, I don't use the Priority System. I find if I need something more flexible, the Build Point System works fine.

I understood what tanka said well enough, but thanks.
Diesel
Both orks and dwarfs have numerical disadvantages. Dwarves need refitted gear, run slower, and are short, which makes simple stuff hard.

Orks have poor charisma, intelligence, and lifespan compared to a human.

Sometimes people prefer humans over a meta anyway. I play humans even when I could play ork or dwarf "for free" just for the character.

Finally this is a stunning example of why Sum to ten is superior.
Kagetenshi
And then there's the whole karma pool thing, again.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012