Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Firearm Damage Codes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Diesel
As far as I understand, rifle bullets go very fast. They're also generally much smaller in caliber than pistols munitions. Hence, they go through armor, people, what have you with a good degree of ease. If they don't fragment in you, then they won't hurt you that bad (for being hit by a bullet at least, you'll still be in a world of hurt).

On the other hand, pistol (and SMG) rounds are larger, slower, and designed to stop in a person. They're not very good at going through armor, but being fat, they're pretty good at ripping the insides of a person apart.

Looking at SR's damage codes, I see that a pistol generally has more power (penetration) than a rifle (7-10 vs. 7-9) but usually an equal DL. (Almost always M).

Have any of you come up with a work-around to this, and/or are my figures complete apeshit?
mfb
nope, you're pretty much dead-on. the damage codes for SR firearms are spastic. raygun rules that all rifle rounds reduce armor by 25%. this makes good sense to me.
Hero
Raygun done a good job witht he firearm issues, I uses his rules all the time.
Diesel
Alright, that's what I've been using recently (with an armor mark-up for pistol cartridges fired from pistols!). Just wondering if someone had already redone all the damage codes.

Looks like it's time to REWRITE SHADOWRUN in history again. Funnage. biggrin.gif
bwdemon
I did a very basic reform of the weapon codes. Light pistols were 6M instead of 6L. Heavy pistols were 7M. Very heavy pistols (Super Warhawk) were 8M. I didn't mess with anything else because submachineguns and shotguns were fine by me and the game wasn't set up for anything heavier than shotguns.

I changed the pistol powers and damage codes to reflect SMG damage, because SMGs (generally) fire pistol ammo as is and the pistol damages weren't inline with that. I also wanted to see more players using light pistols instead of discounting them immediately for being too weak. The ammo capacity and concealability of light pistols made them a quick choice for many players.
Raygun
Austere Emancipator has a decent system for simulating what you're talking about. He basically separates the Power Rating from a Penetration Rating and works it around different cartridges and loads that way. I'm sure he'll be posting in here fairly soon.
Crusher Bob
The system is basically a damage rating say 8M with a penetration rating as a + or - so a rifle round might be 7M (-3) while a pistol roung might be 8M (+1). Shooting Mr. naked runner, the rifle does 7M, the pistol does 8M, but against and armored runner, the rifle round negates 3 points of armor, while the pistol round add 1 to the rating of the armor being shot... This means that you can model AP ammo be upping the penetration and lowering the damage so the above 8M (-3) rifle round, when using AP ammo might be 7L (-6) or something; and eveyone's favorite explosive rifle ammo might be 9M (0).
Kagetenshi
So if you shoot an unarmored bloke with a pistol, do they get the equivalent of a point of armor?

~J
Crusher Bob
Nope. It just gravitates the runners (properly, IMHO) toward shoulder arms if they want to kill someone.
Hero
I think what he means if if said person has armor, he gain +1 to his ballistic rating, and some body with no armor gets not benefit because he has not armor. At least thats is how I took it, might be wrong.
Austere Emancipator
Wow, you guys remembered! biggrin.gif

Yeah, it works like Crusher Bob said. I should warn you, though, that the current version is rather streamlined in many ways compared to what I posted in your thread way back when. For example, it doesn't take the Power and Penetration dropping at Range as seriously as the old version did, especially concerning 5.56/5.45 and similar calibers. Also, while it might make absolute sense to do so, I have not yet enforced a dropping Damage Level for any kind of armor piercing ammunition in any caliber.

I haven't got the numbers up on this computer. Maybe I'll finally rewrite them today, and I can post them here if you wish. Here's a few examples:
9x19 SP -- FMJ: 7M/+2 -- 6M/-
.45ACP SP -- FMJ: 9M/+5 -- 8M/+3
5.56x45 FMJ -- AP: 7M/-2 -- 6M/-5
7.62x51 FMJ -- AP: 9S/-3 -- 8S/-5

As you can perhaps figure out from the numbers, there are base Power, DL and Penetration figures for every caliber (with pistols assumed to fire SP, rifles FMJ, but that doesn't really matter) and then bullet types modify that. I dropped the ~5.5mm AR calibers down to 7M, because with -1 Power/Range category it makes the damage quite resistable at longer ranges (5M/4M Long/Extreme).

Okay, I won't go into more detail of the system yet, but a few warnings are in order. If you use canon armor ratings, these rules would pretty much allow 7.62NATO AP ammunition and anything better to completely ignore most body armor. I suggest you not use a system like this unless you modify the armor system as well. In my games there are hit locations and completely redone body armor, and with those the Penetration rating works fine.

If you do not plan on using hit locations and/or remaking armor, Raygun's rules will certainly work much better. They'll work much better in many cases anyway, and I'm sure they're more realistic than mine.

And nope, it won't mean that someone without armor gets "free armor" when hit by pistols and the like. That'd pretty much defeat the whole purpose... And nope, it doesn't mean that many rifle rounds, especially AP, would increase their Power against low armor ratings.

The Penetration figure only modifies the armor on the target, it only modifies actual Armor ratings (it might happen that someone has rating 0 armor, and that would be modified, but unarmored targets will never be affected in any way by the Penetration rating) and the modified Armor rating will never go under 0.
Diesel
Hmm, that would save me a hell of a lot of work.

Back to the lab, to create another problem for me to solve!
Austere Emancipator
Okay, a few NBs first:
All the "pistol" caliber (.22LR -> .500SW) base damage codes assume SP ammunition. All "rifle" caliber (4.6x30HK -> .50BMG) base damage codes assume FMJ ammunition. All shotgun calibers (10G, 12G, 12GW/O) assume lead slugs.

Plenty of made-up ammo in there, including many that look a whole lot like certain RL ammo, but don't really act like it.

I'm sure some of the codes could be tweaked. I'm open for suggestions.

In my games, the Power of gunshots go down by 1 per Range category beyond Short. 5.56x45 FMJ will thus be 7M at Short, 6M at Medium, 5M at Long and 4M at Extreme. I think I'll change the rule a bit so that pistol ammo Powers only drop after Medium, or 6M/6M/5M/4M for 9x19 FMJ at S/M/L/E.

Also IMG, if the Power of a gunshot is dropped below 2 by armor, every point by which the Power is dropped below 2 the target gains one bonus Damage Resistance die. Eg if someone wearing a heavy kevlar vest (Ball 5) gets hit by a 9x19 SP (7M/+2), the modified power is 0, and thus the target gets 2 extra DamRes dice against a TN of 2.

CODE
CALIBER        DMG (VC)     PEN (VC)       Notes
.22LR          5L (5L)      +2
.22WinMag      6L           +2
7x20           5M (5L)      +1 (+2)        Black Scorpion MP and a few others
9x19           7M (6M)      +2
.357Mag        9M           +3
.357Sig        9M           +3
.40S&W         8M           +4             Always VC
10x25          9M           +3             A few heavy pistols, one HK UMP model
11mmC          10M (9M)     +5             Caseless round for a Special Applications pistol
.44AutoMag     10M          +3
.45ACP         9M           +5             Always VC
.454Casull     8S           +1
.50AE          8S           +1
.500S&W        9S           +2
4.6x30HK       6M (5L)      -2 (+1)        This might as well be eg 8L (5L), - (+1)
5.7x28FN       7M (6L)      -1 (+2)        9L (6L), +1 (+2)?
5.5mmC         7M (6L)      -2 (+2)        Basically a Caseless 5.56x45
5.45x39        7M (6L)      -2 (+2)
5.56x45        7M (6L)      -2 (+2)
5.6mm F        9L           -7             Remake of the caliber for the Steyr ACR
5.8x42         7M (6L)      -2 (+2)        The round for the next-gen Chinese AR
6.5x45         9M (7L)      -1 (+3)        Already exists? For a dedicated marksman's rifle.
7x38C          10M (8L)        (+3)        Caseless, sort of an improved 7.62x39
7.62x51        9S (7M)      -3 (+1)
.300Win        9S           -4
7.62x58C       9S (8M)      -4 (+1)        Caseless long range rifle rounds
.30-416Wby     10S          -4             Make-believe Weatherby ultramagnum round
.338Lapua      11S          -3
.375HH         12S          -2
11.6x45        11S (8S)     +3             Inspired by an actual .458 cartridge
.50BMG         14D          -10
12.7x108       14D          -10
10G Mag        12S          +5
12G            11S          +4
12GWin/Olin    12S          +4             Inspired by ammo for the H&K CAWS

PISTOL BULLET TYPE   DMG          PEN     Notes
HP                   +1/-         +2
Frangible            +2/-         +5
FMJ                  -1/-         -2
Match                -/-          -       +33% Range
AP                   -2/-         -4
API                  -2/-         -4      Incendiary effects
APDS                 -3/-         -6
PIE                  -3/+1        -1      Incendiary effects. Rare, large cals only
Tracer               -/-          -       Whatcha THINK it does?
Gel                  -2/- Stun    +1

RIFLE BULLET TYPE    DMG          PEN     Notes
HP/Frang             +1/-         +4      Debatable
Match                -/-          -       +33% Range
AP                   -1/-         -3
API                  -1/-         -3      Incendiary
APDS                 -2/-         -5
PIE                  -4/+1        -2      Incendiary, unlikely for AR calibers
Tracer               -/-          -       Well, it, like, you know, traces and stuff
Gel                  -2/- Stun    +2

SHOTGUN LOAD TYPE    DMG          PEN     Notes
Gel                  -2/- Stun    +1
Buckshot             -/+1         +4
AP Slug              -2/-         -5      Saboted tungsten
PIE                  -2/+1        -3      Incendiary effects
HE                   -6/- -1/m    -3      Basically a minigrenade

The 4.6x30HK and 5.7x28FN Damage Codes I'm really not sure about. I keep them Moderate in my games, because then I don't have any problems keeping the assault rifle calibers Moderate at long ranges... Feel free to make them Light if you think such itsy bitsy rounds shouldn't hurt much.

I've seen many sources saying that HP rounds for rifles don't really cause significantly more damage. I just wanted to include them to have some way of representing common hunting ammunition, shooting range ammo, and the like.

I have no rule system to deal with incendiary damage from bullet wounds. If someone gets hit by one in my games, I'll just describe the sizzling and burning and smell in a disgusting enough way to make the players get the idea. However, Raygun does have rules for that.

The shotgun damages are yet another debatable point. The Power for them might be a bit too high, and Serious might not adequately represent a 2.5cm+ hole through you. On the other hand, if they dealt Deadly damage with slugs, what the heck would they do with Shot rounds? Deadly +1 Overdamage? That might be a bit too harsh... And I left different kinds of shot rounds out for a reason, and will just use the Buckshot stats for any shot ammunition. So sue me.

Oh and the identical entries for ammo like .50BMG and 12.7x108 are there because they differ in things like price and weight, which I didn't bother to copy onto here.

And again, please post your thoughts about the numbers. Don't bother saying things like "it's too complicated", because I've already used it for a long time and it's not a bit too complicated for me. And there's really nothing much that can be done about the system to make it less complicated without scrapping the whole idea.

[Edit]More clarifications:
The 5.6mm Flechette always fires an APFSDS tungsten arrow and cannot be modified by the Rifle Bullet Types.

VC stands for Velocity Controlled, ie what the round's stats look like when intentionally subsonic for sound-suppressed shooting, including heavier (and possible longer) bullet and all. If a caliber isn't marked as Always VC (which means just that) and it doesn't have any DMG or PEN ratings in brackets, it can't be velocity controlled. What this really means is that it wouldn't make any sense to make subsonic loadings for the caliber, so I didn't bother to make stats for them. If a caliber is marked with a DMG rating in brackets but no PEN in brackets, it uses the supersonic PEN rating even when subsonic.

No Armor Piercing round (AP, API, APDS) can be Velocity Controlled, not even with Always VC calibers. Match doesn't stack with APDS or Gel, but I suppose you could do match grade version of any other kind of bullets. (Right?) Match-grade PIEs are going to be insanely rare and expensive, though... Tracer stacks with at least FMJ, AP, API, APDS and PIE. SP, HP and Frangible Tracers are going to be extremely rare, but not impossible. No Gel-Ts...

.50BMG and 12.7x108 ascend the normal Bullet Type rules. Most of the time, just ignore any body armor with them and you won't be far wrong. In extreme situations and against vehicles, I've got AP, API, APDS, PIE and HEIAP(/APHEI/whatever) rules for them:
AP ... -2/- ... -5
API ... -2/- ... -5 ... Incendiary
APDS ... -4/- ... -8
PIE ... -4/+1 ... - ... Incendiary
HEIAP ... -2/+1 ... -8 ... Incendiary
Well okay, I just made these up. Comment away. I know they're overkill against people, but they're supposed to be. Any of those AP rounds is going to ignore each and every form of body armor possible in my games, including the heaviest possible tactical assault armor breast plates with additional plating and Form-Fitting underneath.[/Edit]
Austere Emancipator
The system above does make quite a few assumptions about the armor ratings as well. First of all, it's heavily based on the NIJ tables for what rounds penetrate what levels of body armor. In fact, it's almost completely based on those tables, penetration-wise.

What NIJ describes as being capable of stopping is represented by the Power dropping to 2 or below. Relatively speaking then a 2060s equivalent of a RL NIJ level III-A vest (ie capable of stopping SMG 9x19 FMJs, .44Mag lead wadcutters, 12G slugs) is an Armor Rating of 5. In my games, a "heavy kevlar vest" (a general name for any common type of heavy flexible body armor vest) has a Ballistic rating of 5.

A "medium kevlar vest" has Ball 4, enough to bring 9x19 FMJs and .357Mag SPs down to 2 mod Power (NIJ level II). A "light kevlar vest" has Ball 3, enough to drop .45ACP, .40S&W and .22Mag SPs down to 2 (about NIJ level II-A). The most Ballistic armor a flexible vest has is an advanced tech version of the "heavy kevlar vest", which has a Ball rating of 6.

Any rifle FMJ rounds will penetrate any flexible body armor vest at Short ranges, which is pretty much the whole point. Additional plates to be inserted into flexible vests range from +2 Ballistic light plaststeel plates to dikoted sapphire plates for +6 Ballistic. The most common ceramic plates are +5 Ballistic, which together with a "heavy kevlar vest" will stop 7.62x51 FMJ rounds at point blank range (NIJ type III). The dikoted sapphire plates with an advanced tech heavy vest will stop a 7.62x51 AP round at point blank range (NIJ type IV).
Diesel
You ought publish this somewhere more permanent than a DSF thread. biggrin.gif

TSS or something?

Austere Emancipator
Blah. Can't be bothered. Interest in it is marginal to say the least, and I'm a sucky writer.
Hida Tsuzua
That's an interesting system there AE and I might try it sometime. It reminds me of the damage system in MW3rd Edition (with armor and penetration). As for myself, I go for Raygun Lite.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Hida Tsuzua)
It reminds me of the damage system in MW3rd Edition (with armor and penetration).

I've never run into the 3rd ed of MW. I've got some 2nd Ed books for it, though, and those still use the weird "This armor negates 3/4th of projectile damage" rules.

I don't think I've copied the system out of anywhere (I know you didn't claim I did and probably didn't mean anything of the sort with the reference, it just made me think about why I created the rules in the first place). I think it springs from the fact that I've always liked a static Armor Rating Reduces Damage By Amount X, Which Can Be Changed By Penetration system in all RPGs for some reason.
TinkerGnome
I'd like to see a system or caveat to a system where the damage goes from physical to stun when sufficient armor is applied.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
I'd like to see a system or caveat to a system where the damage goes from physical to stun when sufficient armor is applied.

If you wish, using the rules above, you might simply declare that any Damage caused by a gunshot where the Power was modified to 2 or below by Armor only causes Stun. Easy.

However, unless you also use hit locations and armor rules to go with them, that won't make much sense. In a canon game, body armor dropping a Power to 2 or below might just mean that the shot landed in the guy's foot and thus doesn't stand a good chance of killing the target, but the bullet itself never came into contact with any armor.

It seems that since the original discussion I had about this system with Crusher Bob something like a year ago in the old forums, no one has really had anything significant to say about it. After that, whenever I've posted it, there's just a few very general, short comments, and then the threads die away...
Arethusa
Thing is, it's kind of hard to figure out where to draw the line. A level IIIA vest may stop a 9mm round, but the bruise you're going to sustain is pretty much in line with a physical wound— just not terribly severe, hence L. With plates, I'd call any resultant damage from said roun stun, but you can't just draw the line over a certain number of degrees; that's just far too inelegant, even for a houserule.

Austere, I think your system could stand refinement, but it's a solid start. Then again, I've sort of been a long running fan of three part damage codes and an advocate for revising the canon weapons rules. Anyway, I'd suggest giving this its own thread and cleaning the whole mess up a bit (even simple stuff like formatting; my guess is that at least some people find it a little daunting, at present).
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Arethusa)
A level IIIA vest may stop a 9mm round, but the bruise you're going to sustain is pretty much in line with a physical wound— just not terribly severe, hence L.

Well, now... Getting hit by a club does Stun by canon. Even when the club looks like this. I think you'll agree that that would do the same sort of damage that a bullet stopped by armor would. Therefore, if you advocate Stun damage for clubs, it can be argued that Stun damage from stopped bullets would also make sense.

Feel free to think it's inelegant, though. I used a total of 0.3 seconds making it up. I don't enforce any similar rule in my games, stopped bullets always cause Physical here.

Austere, I think your system could stand refinement [...]

Please tell me, what exactly needs refining? I'm sure there's loads of illogical things there, but I can't find 'em alone. I've spent a lot of time honing the numbers, and it ain't likely that I'll make them any better on my own. I depend on you people to tell me what needs refinement, which is part of why I'm a bit sad all the threads I've posted this in ended up like they did.

[...] cleaning the whole mess up a bit (even simple stuff like formatting; my guess is that at least some people find it a little daunting, at present).

I didn't put it up for its aesthetic value. wink.gif

Yeah, I'm sure the formatting is off. Feel free to try to get all those figures in nice, clean columns on this forum. Now that there's no [pre] command anymore, that's damn near impossible, and it used to be really freaking hard even in the old forums. I decided that I won't use more than 30 minutes to format the damn thing, and that's about as long as it took, using MS Word and a lot of Find/Replace.

What else is messy, though? The formatting I really don't care about, I'm more interested in the substance than the style.
Kagetenshi
Yeah, that looks like a club that should do stun, not physical.

~J
Diesel
I thought it was going to be a motherfucking mace.

Oh well.
Austere Emancipator
Oops. I always though maces did Physical in SR. Never bothered to check until now. Wow...

Even more evidence that canon SR likes to consider any and all blunt force trauma as Stun damage. I certainly disagree, but whatever.
Herald of Verjigorm
A proper example of "all clubs do stun" seeming odd would be this.
Kagetenshi
So true.

~J
Austere Emancipator
That would be a Spiked Mace, which does (Str+1)M Physical. I wasn't THAT far off. However, if you took the obvious spikes off the design, then it would do (Str+3)M Stun in SR. Which is pretty stupid, considering the kind of damage it would do to a human being. I used the ASP telescopic baton, because it happens to have a rather small head, and yet retains a decent killing potential.

But that's better suited for some other thread. Feel free to start one on Stun and Clubs (or revive some old thread on that issue). I'm still kinda hopeful that someone has something specific to say about the actual rule system, and the numbers involved in it, that I posted above...
Arethusa
One possible solution for the club thing is to rule that all blunt weapons can do physical damage; they just start one damage code lower. I'm not really sure if that's a solid approach, though. That's another 0.3 second ruling, really.

Incidentally, I am aware of the issue with ruling that stopped rounds do physical while other damage sources do stun. I'm honestly not really sure how to go on that one, except to say that the SR system obviously needs some way to differentiate more sanely.

As for refinement, I mainly said that in reference to the fact that it would, for example, need to be refined before being published. Past that, I would need to spend more time looking at the numbers. I'll get back to you on that. Anyway, as far as being messy goes, I think that extends beyond formatting in the sense that the entire setup feels less elegant than a solution reached by, for example, ripping out the canon firearms rules and rewriting them from the ground up. Though it could use some nicer formatting, I think.
Kagetenshi
Actually, the only instance in which you can catagorically say the round was stopped is if no damage was taken (hardened armor or total soak). Otherwise it's up to the GM, it's possible that the round penetrated but in a nonvital spot. Adding in a mechanic for nonpenetrating rounds doing stun requires adding another mechanic for determining when a round penetrates.

~J
Diesel
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm @ Dec 10 2003, 05:20 PM)
A proper example of "all clubs do stun" seeming odd would be this.

Now that is a motherfucking mi-zace in this hizzle.
Kagetenshi
...Did he just say that?

~J
mfb
fo' sheezy.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Adding in a mechanic for nonpenetrating rounds doing stun requires adding another mechanic for determining when a round penetrates.

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
However, unless you also use hit locations and armor rules to go with them, that won't make much sense. In a canon game, body armor dropping a Power to 2 or below might just mean that the shot landed in the guy's foot and thus doesn't stand a good chance of killing the target, but the bullet itself never came into contact with any armor.

Now, combine that with the fact that all my numbers are based on the idea that a gunshot which has been reduced to modified Power 2 or lower has been stopped by the body armor, like I explained at length. Then using hit locations, redone armor and the Dam/Pen system above, wouldn't you call that a mechanic for determining when a round penetrates?

QUOTE (Arethusa)
Anyway, as far as being messy goes, I think that extends beyond formatting in the sense that the entire setup feels less elegant than a solution reached by, for example, ripping out the canon firearms rules and rewriting them from the ground up.

They were never, ever intended to be a replacement for the firearms rules. If I wanted to do that, I'd have done what so many people have told me to do with this system: Play some other RPG. They are not supposed to be anything more than a minor modification to the way Damage and Armor is handled in the game.

I do not plan on ripping out all firearms rules and rewriting them, ever. I do not see how that might improve my existing set of house rules in such a degree that it would be worth the incredible amount of work it would require. At least not as long as you keep even the basics of the Shadowrun system for ranged combat (the Damage Monitor, the Damage Code system, the Skill rolls against a set TN, etc).

If you want to completely change the way SR handles combat, you're on your own. smile.gif

As for refinement, I mainly said that in reference to the fact that it would, for example, need to be refined before being published.

It was never meant to be published. I don't give a damn if no one ever publishes it in anywhere and it never leaves these forums. Diesel asked for suggestions for house ruling damage codes to make penetration more sensible, and I delivered. That's all. I am far more interested in comments about how to make the house rule work better in a game of SR while keeping the core intact (minor modification through adding a Penetration rating for calibers).
Kagetenshi
Ok, I missed that part.

~J the not-infallible (when the GM screen is down, at least)
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
~J the not-infallible

I'm sorry, I know I sounded a bit harsh. I was a bit upset, probably because it feels like no one actually read any of the stuff I posted. Maybe Diesel did, I dunno.

Perhaps it'd be better if I never mentioned the whole damn system anywhere anymore...
Req
No, there's enough of us out there that do something (very) similar that it's nice to see it. Helps me feel less out-there. smile.gif
Austere Emancipator
What does your system look like, then? I don't need to see exact numbers, only the principle, the rules involved in general.

Unless of course you wish to start a discussion on the numbers, which I'm certainly prepared for. I've simply given up hope for such a thing to happen.
Req
If that last post was aimed at me...which I'm not sure about...well okay then.

I've an almost identical system - firearms are rated in terms of power and penetration. When used against an armored target, the penetration rating is added to or subtracted from the armor rating of the target. I know it would be more realistic to do it by caliber, but my players aren't gun nuts the way I am and it would add too much complexity for them.

So I have a table of firearm classes and penetration ratings for all weapons in that class. There are exceptions - a few specific firearms have different penetration ratings than the rest of their class.

Weapon Class / Penetration
All pistols / -2
SMGs / Carbines / 0
Assault Rifles / +2
Sporting Rifles / +2
Sniper Rifles / +4

etc.

Ammunition is also handled the same way - it adds modifiers to the weapon's power and penetration stats. I threw out all the assorted ammo rules from canon and just use this table:

Ammo / Power / Penetration
Frangible / +2 / -4
Hollow-Point / +1 / -2
FMJ / 0 / 0
AP / -1 / +2
APDS / -2 / +4

That sort of thing. It's simpler that it could be and with less detail, but it's easy to use.

edit: a shame I can't make tables for drek on this board. Ah well.
Dogsoup
Nice n' simple Reg, played SLA Industries much? wink.gif
Kagetenshi
It's Req, REQ.
smile.gif

~J
Austere Emancipator
Yup, it was aimed at you. That looks about as simple as you can make the basic principle of it, without screwing it over. Looks quite good indeed.

A few problems that I do see arising from it, assuming that it is indeed realism you're looking for with that (instead of, say, game balance) system. Assuming you're using the canon Damage Codes here... SMGs, for example, would probably be better off being grouped with Pistols penetration-wise. Certainly there's a significant difference in penetration potential between a long-barreled SMG and a short-barreled pistol, but that is nowhere near the difference between SMGs and carbines.

Another is that you might want to consider making Sporting Rifles penetrate better. I'm pretty sure a 7S Sporting Rifle would fire a caliber with better penetration potential than an 8M Assault Rifle. Sniper Rifles, on the other hand, now penetrate perhaps too well, doing 6S through Ballistic 12 with normal bullets, which is not very believable, unless you assume most Sniper Rifles to be chambered in a caliber like .416 Weatherby Magnum or similar extra-magnum big game calibers.

The ammunition types are nice, the whole logic and simplicity of it is extremely appealing. smile.gif

I know it would be more realistic to do it by caliber, but my players aren't gun nuts the way I am and it would add too much complexity for them.

Heh, my players aren't gun nuts either. They need to be reminded every time that 7.62x39 rounds don't fit a 7.62x51 rifle. [Edit]Well yeah, they "fit", but it won't work too well... smile.gif[/Edit] But the whole caliber system doesn't place any stress on them, they don't need to know anything about the calibers. I tell them what they need to know, which in generally means I tell them everything.

And when they just don't want to know or think about the extremely small differences, I find it extremely gratifying when it finally boils down to people picking one gun over the other just because "The name sounds cooler" or "I rather take the German gun over the American".

This is why the shaman in our group now has a .500S&W: Her Korth Combat Magnum didn't kill people dead enough, so she asked for the biggest damn handgun from all their firearms contacts. And one has a G12A3/z because he really loves the way a G11 looks, and the last has a H&K MG47 LMG because it's German, has a high RoF and looks a bit like an MG42.

a shame I can't make tables for drek on this board. Ah well.

Don't sweat it. Apparently it is impossible to make a readable table on this board.
Req
Dogsoup - what's SLA Industries?

K - you da man. Thanks for beating me to it. Good to know someone's got my back, yo.

AE (you don't by chance have any relation to the old A_E of Deep Resonance fame, do ya?) -

The carbines/SMGs thing is a problem. By the SR3 main rules the only carbine is the AK97 which they call an SMG, and I didn't want to frag with that too much. If and when I start inserting real carbines that don't act like SMGs in every other way, this'll get changed. But I didn't want one SMG that did 8M and all the others still at 6-7M.

I'm not actually sure where I put sniper/sport rifles in the system; I was doing this from memory since my docs are at home. But yeah, it works out that sport rifles (which I say includes most of the smaller-caliber sniper rifles) do a little bit better than ARs, and sniper rifles (which includes most of the larger-bore sport rifles) do a bit better still. Cannons (which still exist, as much as I hate them) penetrate lots more.

The ammunition I really like - may not be 100% realistic, but the simple bell-curve of penetration adjustments vs power adjustments looks cool. We did the math and it does work out, across most weapon types - it does make large-bore handguns better than rifles round-for-round against unarmored folks, and makes them pretty useless against armored targets.

I still need to rebalance all the armor though, and I'm putting that task off as looooooong as possible. smile.gif
nezumi
I'm surprised no one has brought up 1st edition rules. From what I understand, back in the day, damage codes would look like 9M2 or 6L8. The first two bits are just like normal; power and damage. The third is how many successes the attacker or defender needs to get to stage the weapon. So your pistols would be like 5M2 (very easy to do a lot of damage, but armor is very effective) and rifles would be more like 12M4 (rips through armor, but will still leave you 'relatively okay'). Granted, I'm making those numbers up, look in the old books for examples. But the advantage of using that system is you can use all the reaaal old scenarios without converting all the characters : )
Kagetenshi
The problem with those is things like the rifles. It really shouldn't be harder to hit a vital spot with a rifle than a pistol. The laser weapon was worse; 15M8.

~J
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Req)
(you don't by chance have any relation to the old A_E of Deep Resonance fame, do ya?)

Nope, I had no idea there had been anyone around with a name like this. I picked this after I "suicided" Grim Redeemer by giving him a huge, random password so I wouldn't use him again. Basically inserted Grim and Redeemer into the Merriam-Webster Thesaurus, and used the first sensible ones that came out. smile.gif

But I didn't want one SMG that did 8M and all the others still at 6-7M.

Well, one thing you could then do is decide that the AK97 Carbine is actually a SMG version, like the Colt Mod 635 is to the M16/XM177 and the Steyr AUG Para is to the Steyr AUG. And then just drop the SMG Penetration to the same as the Pistols, -2. And if you end up getting carbines of the "Shortened AR" type, just make them ARs with Shortened Barrels.

But yeah, it works out that sport rifles (which I say includes most of the smaller-caliber sniper rifles) do a little bit better than ARs [...]

The thing is, with the numbers you've given there, small caliber Sporting Rifles end up with poorer overall Penetration than ARs (7S/-2 vs 8M/-2), which isn't very logical considering that you'll be hard pressed to find Sportin Rifles IRL which penetrate worse than ARs.

It certainly isn't a big issue; I just thought I'd point it out because my, system has been created with exactly those kinds of things in mind.

nezumi:
That creates a host of other problems. I have never read 1st or 2nd ed rules, but IIRC armor worked differently back then, giving you autosuccesses instead of dropping Power. To balance the whole thing out, you'd still have to re-do all the Damage Codes. Also, that would make it too damn hard to kill people with a single shot of a small-caliber rifle or perhaps even a large-caliber rifle.

But the advantage of using that system is you can use all the reaaal old scenarios without converting all the characters : )

That's certainly a bonus. smile.gif
Req
Nope, I had no idea there had been anyone around with a name like this.

Well, the name was nothing like yours, but it was AE for short...

Well, one thing you could then do is decide that the AK97 Carbine is actually a SMG version, like the Colt Mod 635 is to the M16/XM177 and the Steyr AUG Para is to the Steyr AUG. And then just drop the SMG Penetration to the same as the Pistols, -2. And if you end up getting carbines of the "Shortened AR" type, just make them ARs with Shortened Barrels.

Worth considering. If it ever comes up (or if I finish all the other shite that's required to bring my house rules up to speed) I'll look into it. smile.gif

The thing is, with the numbers you've given there, small caliber Sporting Rifles end up with poorer overall Penetration than ARs (7S/-2 vs 8M/-2), which isn't very logical considering that you'll be hard pressed to find Sportin Rifles IRL which penetrate worse than ARs.

Agreed. I guess I wasn't clear enough that the numbers i posted were pulled out of my...err, hoop, I guess. The math works with the real ones, I just don't remember them off the top of my head. You're right, with respect to the wrong numbers. smile.gif

Nezumi - I hate the old damage code system with the white-hot radiance of a thousand blazing nuns, so I don't think I'll be using it anytime soon. Man, that sucked.
gknoy
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
However, if you took the obvious spikes off the design, then it would do (Str+3)M Stun in SR. Which is pretty stupid, considering the kind of damage it would do to a human being.

Interesting trivia about maces for those that don't know - While they were often spiked and whatnot, the major damage was often from internal bone breakage and stuff -- in fact, the haft of the mace / warhammer was usually steel (for durability, I imagine), so even when the head didn't connect, you STILL were hitting them with a pretty hefty steel bar.

That much mass moving around, I imagine that you'd incapacitate whatever limb you hit. I think that is a good argument for physical damage as opposed to stun -- it takes more than a day or so to recover from having the bones in your upper arm shattered.
Diesel
Weeeell, I've been dicking around with this, mostly during history class, and came up with pretty much the same stuff as Req, with a few differences in range (mine are larger and much less friendly to pistols).

Negative penetration = good to shoot, bad to be hit by
Positive penetration = bad to shoot, good to be hit by
CODE

Weapon Class-          Damage Level-            Penetration-
Holdouts:              4L-6L                    +3 - +5
Light Pistols:         4M-6M                    +2 - +4
Medium Pistols:        5M-7M                    +1 - +3
Heavy Pistols:         6M-9M                    +0 - +2
SMGs:                  6M-8M                    +0 - +2
Carbines:              7M-8M                    +0 - -1
Assault Rifles:        8M-9M, 7S-9S             -1 - -3
Sporting Rifles:       9M-13M, 9S-12S           -2 - -4
Sniper Rifles:         9S-14S, 9D-14D           -2 - -4
Anti-materiel Rifles:  14D-20D                  Negates

I've also reclassified armor:

Soft:
Reduces power as current armor does, to a minimum of 2[DL]. Present in all armor which does not specifically mention plates / ceramics / etc. in the title or fluff text.

Hard:
Present in "vest w/ plates", "Security Armor", and a few others. Soft armor can be made "hard" with trauma plates, sold seperately. Reduces power to a minimum of two. If [Armor Rating] > [Power of attack] then the damage level is dropped by one, to a minimum of L. Minimum damage effect of 2[DL-1].

Vehicle / Ultra-hard:
Armor on vehicles or gelpacked armor. If rating of armor exceeds the power of the attack (twice the power, in the case of vehicles), the attack does not succeed.

---

I am in the process of assigning standard ammunition to all SR weapons (with a wee bit of aid from Raygun's site) and redoing their individual damage codes/assigning penetration. I figure a whole and complete list will be completed within a week.
Austere Emancipator
Ah, so the CODE command is the key! Okay now, let's get down to business...
Since you are apparently not going to stick with the figures you posted, I won't go through them (a few are a bit questionable). A few questions, however:

Do you really plan on using the armors as they are, and not using a hit location system? If so, there's little point in discussing the accuracy of the Penetration vs Armor figures with different calibers, since you will still never know whether a bullet actually ever hit any body armor.

Assuming that you DO do something about the armors and/or introduce a hit location system, might I ask what was wrong with my figures since you don't wish to use those? nyahnyah.gif Of course if you plan on using Raygun's Damage Codes as they are, you'd have to do a bit of addition and subtraction with a few figures, but not a whole lot.

On the other hand, it'll be fun to get into a real point-by-point discussion on your numbers once you post them. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012