Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: the death of dumpshock forum
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
otomik
just an observation from a long time poster...
i've been posting for 4 years here and i don't care if you ban me for this, thats how much i think this place has suffered from closing the lounge.
BumsofTacoma
Ive been posting here about as long, though under different names.

I agree about the lounge beeing missed, but see no reason for closing the whole site due to its loss.

I used to post under bootstomped deluxe if any of you remeber. biggrin.gif
Traks
It suffered? Then post here.
Although I have heard enough WHY it was closed. (not that I am here often and for long time). So before in mirror before asking that, mkay?
thunderchild
If we post the kinda stuff that went in the lounge in here, we get banned for spamming.

Im with Otomik, hell ill admin and moderate the damn thing and take the crap for laying out smackdowns to trolls and morons if thats what it takes.

To the Admins: You have proved your point, your willing to pull the lounge when things get too out of hand, Putting it back shows you to be a Gracious god, not just a vengeful one.
DIABLO@magenet.org
Start holding your breath.
Cray74
QUOTE (otomik)
just an observation from a long time poster...
i've been posting for 4 years here and i don't care if you ban me for this, thats how much i think this place has suffered from closing the lounge.

I think I was in the lounge twice in my time on these forums, both times when someone pointed out info I was after.

Personally, I don't care about the lounge.

But perhaps a poll would be a reasonable idea to see what percentage of the membership is really traumatized by this.
Domino
Hey looked I'm not banned anymore. ohplease.gif

If you really miss the lounge goto Underworld.

Not as good as the Old Lounge but that is mostly due to low traffic. So come on over and find out about not being banned. grinbig.gif
Raiko
I've used these forums on and off since the old Deep Resonance forums and I've rarely bothered with the lounge.

Having said that I'd like to see it brought back as I think it gives dumpshock a better sense of community.
Couldn't the problems be handled better by just having more admins on the lounge, and making sure that the lounge admins aren't going to be offended if some idiot sends them an offensive email.

Alternatively would it be possible to create a "parental advisory" tag in order to warn easily offended people away from offensive threads.
Raiko
Also if everybody who misses the lounge goes to underworld, and they don't still post on here, I'll probably do the same myself even though I'm not interested in the lounge.

If everybody who starts posting on underworld loses interest in dumpshock then otomik is right, dumpshock will die.
Synner
I'm a Dumpshock and Deep Resonance vet dating back to the Christmas tree colors and I've never been particularly fond of the Lounge, posting there a very small number of times.

Personally I completely disagree with otomik's post. I come to Dumpshock to get my SR fix. This is a dedicated SR site and Forum. I have no problem (as some of you know) in discussing politics, economics, or world trivia - but if I'm going to discuss those things beyond the context of SR, I don't see a point of doing so on Dumpshock. There are numerous other places including the mind-bending chaos of Bulldrek, Woodchuck & Dude's Underworld and a bunch of other dedicated forums for that if that's your cup of tea.

These sites and many others are in fact complementary to Dumpshock since the reason we all came here in the first place is because we're gamers and we like to share our experiences and notes with others in the community, although a number of people seem to be forgetting this, to each his own.

The issue isn't how people behave or misbehave in the Lounge, if people are capable of self-regulation or not, or even the amount of grief Mods get for their trouble, it does have to do with the way the Dumpshock Admins view this site and its purpose and that has definitely changed.

Some people have chosen to move on or turn their backs on Dumpshock because of this and while many haven't, I am saddened to see some people do so, not simply because I will miss their participation (I can always look for them on other boards) but because it seems they've lost interest or moved on from what drew them here in the first place. Let's be honest, almost none of us originally came here because of the Lounge. We came here to talk SR. Many of us still do, so let's get over this and get on with it.
thunderchild
Synner - The lounge was good because I got my fill of community and SR at the one location, There were certain people who used the Lounge as a Livejournal.

These people now have obttained livejournals. BRING BACK THE LOUNGE!
zephir
I used the lounge to post everything not-shadowrunnish and to flame about inconspiciously now and then (no administrative measures taken against me). I like the shadowrun clientele better than those ever present on the lounge. I don't particularly miss the lounge.
Perhaps the admins could paste a link to those underground forums behind the "-Lounge-about-and-have-nice-chat-"-thingie.

Sorry about the non-shadowrunnish post!
Kagetenshi
While the lounge served a definite purpose, and there has been a general rise in silliness that I've seen since its closing, I'm not sure it would be worth it to reopen it.
Honestly, while it may have been a vital part of DS for some of you, it took me about a week before I noticed it was closed. I have the Dumpshock Forums/Discussion/Shadowrun page bookmarked, not the main Forums page. The closing of the lounge means nothing like the closing of the entire forums.

~J
Cray74
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Honestly, while it may have been a vital part of DS for some of you, it took me about a week before I noticed it was closed.

When was it closed? This thread was the first time I heard of it. I figured it happened, like, yesterday.
Kagetenshi
A month or two ago, I think.

~J
Yum Donuts
The main thing I miss about the Lounge was that people would talk about real life as it relates to SR. about some new device that looked like prototype cybereyes, or about the first ultra-small ATP-powered motors (nanites).

Now, if the admins allow that kind of stuff in this SR forum, I have very little problem with removing the lounge. while I liked it and posted on it, It wasn't worth getting worked up over. I have people in RL to talk about RL stuff with, I come here to talk SR because if I mention to my thesis advisor how great his office would be as a sniping position, I don't think he'd understand.
Kagetenshi
We've gotten threads like that here, and I don't think they've been closed.

~J
Ancient History
It's one of those situations: when the Lounge was here, it created problems when abused and egos flared. When it was closed, people got pissy and left. The Admins did what they felt was the right thing to do in the situation. 'nuff said.
Pthgar
I don't miss the lounge one bit. It was like a tar pit, you could get sucked in then all your thrashing around would just make it worse.
Diesel
The general swing of people in the lounge made you a nazi if you dissented from the viewpoints of a few prolix individuals. With only the SR forum, you're only beaten like a nazi if you're retarded, not if you're a bigot or remotely leery of transsexuals.
Backgammon
QUOTE (Yum Donuts)
because if I mention to my thesis advisor how great his office would be as a sniping position, I don't think he'd understand.

rotfl.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Diesel)
With only the SR forum, you're only beaten like a nazi if you're retarded, not if you're a bigot or remotely leery of transsexuals.

I would question if there's a difference.

~J
bwdemon
The lack of a lounge probably goes a long way toward keeping things civil. As much as people may argue over meaningless rules and interpretations of them that differ only by a hair's breadth, they're all the more rabid when it comes to things like politics, religion, and other such topics. The anonymity of the internet gives a person the freedom to be far more of an ass than they would be in a social setting. So not only is it a ferociously debated and emotional topic, but now people don't care what they say, because there won't be any real social backlash.

I say keep DS for Shadowrun. Anything else can only cause problems.
Dende
Just a side note, I am usually just as big of an ass while in person. Friends and a very very people aside. Mind you, that is mostly in a classroom setting, customer/worker setting, etc.
Adam
QUOTE (Yum Donuts @ Dec 12 2003, 09:45 AM)
The main thing I miss about the Lounge was that people would talk about real life as it relates to SR.  about some new device that looked like prototype cybereyes, or about the first ultra-small ATP-powered motors (nanites).

Now, if the admins allow that kind of stuff in this SR forum, I have very little problem with removing the lounge.

If you're thinking of posts like "Hey, I just saw this story about some new research into cyber-replacement eyes in real life, check it out - how different is this from the way Shadowrun looks at cybereyes?" then those posts are absolutely on topic. We're actually looking at making a repository for those sorts of stories some time in the new year, actually, along with some other changes.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Synner)
I'm a Dumpshock and Deep Resonance vet dating back to the Christmas tree colors and I've never been particularly fond of the Lounge, posting there a very small number of times.

Personally I completely disagree with otomik's post. I come to Dumpshock to get my SR fix. This is a dedicated SR site and Forum. I have no problem (as some of you know) in discussing politics, economics, or world trivia - but if I'm going to discuss those things beyond the context of SR, I don't see a point of doing so on Dumpshock. There are numerous other places including the mind-bending chaos of Bulldrek, Woodchuck & Dude's Underworld and a bunch of other dedicated forums for that if that's your cup of tea.

I couldn't agree more. The Lounge was a decent place to talk with fellow Dumpshockers, but it wasn't even remotely close to the heart and soul of Dumpshock. It was a courtesy.

It's not the admins fault that a bunch of people there abused it like they did. I'm not a big fan of some of the admins, but I certainly wouldn't go about acting the way those spoiled little brats did. Good riddance.
nezumi
Speaking as a new person, I can totally understand why the lounge was closed down and I have no problem with leaving it closed down. The neat articles that concern me from the SR aspect still come up, like adam pointed out. Most of the other stuff in the lounge was political views and people using it like a livejournal. If I wanted to have a political discussion with a bunch of anonymous people and trolls, I'd hit myself repeatedly in the temples with a hammer. If I wanted to read someone's live journal about whatever, I'd go to lj and add them to my friends list. Why should DS provide those services when there are services that are out there already and providing them here will just give the admins headaches? Setup a player registry so everyone can add everyone else as lj buddies and be done with it.

One thing I found very amusing was a couple weeks ago someone posted a thread as to whether or not anyone looks anywhere other than the IC thread. I had to laugh out loud because it looks like the majority of people come here for the IC thread XOR the Shadowrun discussion thread. I'm guessing it's become the same thing with the lounge, where we have IC XOR SR XOR Lounge and now with the lounge gone the people who only went there are feeling left out. But I don't think that reflects the views of the majority of people who post here any more than the majority of people who come here come just for the IC stuff. Dumpshock will continue on as it always has since the beginning of time (or ~8 years ago, whichever came last).
Req
I've been here or around here since way back in the Deep Resonance days, and I've never come for the Lounge (or Bulldrek, or whatever). I don't really care whether it's open or not, I only bother with the SR forum. So long as that keeps on keepin' on, Req is a happy camper.
kevyn668
I don't miss the Lounge either. I like chatting about hockey w/ people from all over but I can do that lots of places.

It kind of seemed like the lounge was like an E-soapbox anyway, with a WHOLE LOT of "nu-uh" and "yea-huh" and "is so" and "is not" and "I'm right" and "your an idiot because you don't see it my way" (where's that link for debate fallacies again?)

If you miss that sort of thing, as I said in another thread, just start a thread on how you handle called shots... wink.gif

Problem solved. Now, like they say in the source books: "MORE SHOPTALK!!" smile.gif
BitBasher
(where's that link for debate fallacies again?)
It's in my sig biggrin.gif

Also: I don't miss the lounge either.
kevyn668

@BitBasher:notworthy.gif
And I bet you thought no one pays attention... smile.gif
StealthBanana
lol
Diesel
Something like that.
kevyn668
Well, I probably won't be able to check these parts until after the weekend, so I'd just like to say that I'm SOOO disapointed that a "pro-lounger" didn't go off on me!!

All day I've been patiently sitting at my desk waiting for the opportunity to tell some one "oh yeah, well you're an idiot because you don't see things my way."

Damnit. I feel so robbed... frown.gif
Kagetenshi
You're an idiot because, while you may agree with me on this issue, there are others on which you disagree with me.

~J, making everyone's day complete.
Adam
Let's try to keep this on-topic, even if it's not really on-topic and probably should have gone in the Bug Reports / Feature Requests forum.
thunderchild
Ok, i think the reason we are getting such a skewed set of results here is because all the major fans of the lounge have left already and arent coming back.

Ill be one of the first people to admit that the old lounge was bullshit, too many Egos to stroke and too many retards around to bother with. I think that reopening it now as a "off topic" area might not be a bad idea, I mean, at very worst the admins have to close it again.
gknoy
QUOTE (nezumi)
I had to laugh out loud because it looks like the majority of people come here for the IC thread XOR the Shadowrun discussion thread. I'm guessing it's become the same thing with the lounge, where we have IC XOR SR XOR Lounge and now with the lounge gone the people who only went there are feeling left out.

Hehe smile.gif I :heart: those boolean operators; I found your post extremely amusing -- thanks for the mid-workday-pickup. =D

I fall in the not-IC group ... but mainly, I think, because I Just Don't Get It; the IC on forums thing is waaay hectic to me, I don't even know where to start. Yes, I'm sure there's FAQs and sticky threads galore, but I just haven't taken the time to read them.
Tanka
And get some people banned for excessive drama, some people leave because their ego doesn't get stroked, and more people leave because they get angry.

I wasn't around for it, and I can say that I'm glad. If all one thread does is cause flaming, it should not exist. Period. In any form.

If you want to discuss something not Shadowrun related, go to another forum. There are plenty to choose from, and I'm sure you'll find somebody else worth talking to there.
Kagetenshi
But I'm pretty sure they didn't enjoy closing it. They wouldn't enjoy closing it the next time, or the attitude of "it's ok, they'll just reopen it in a few months anyway".
Reopening the lounge is something that I might say is reasonable to consider in, say, another four months or so, but it's only what, two months since it bit the dust?

~J
Frag-o Delux
It was closed on or around October 8. I think a day or two before that.

Just like to say, I don't mind that the lounge was closed. When it disappeared I was a little peeved, because really in the SR forum it seems most of the topics are re-hashed over and over again so I started reading the lounge. After awhile I started hanging in the lounge more then the SR forum. I still read the SR forum but most times the answer to a question was already given and I seen no real reason to add to it. While some debates on the SR forum were interesting others turned into "that is the way my group plays" bickering just like in the lounge. I learned a neat trick to those threads, stop reading them, once it goes into a pissing contest I just leave. I never even read the thread that is supposed to be the straw that broke the camels back. Now I have gone to Underworld for my off topic discussions and I am fine with that, I still come here for my SR fix and the Underworld to talk about politics. So from one of the people who like the lounge and emigrated to other boards, let the lounge stay closed, it was no big loss if someone didn't invite me to Underworld to continue a discussion I would have never looked for a new place to chat about nothing. Some of the people that hung in the lounge are still comeing over here, so I don't think DSF is going anywhere, unless a lot of people decide to go somewhere else. I still like DSF an have no problems with the admins or anyone else here or there for that matter. Let the lounge stay closed let the admins have a peacful existence. Funny now that the lounge has gone I haven't seen DVixen, Paolo, or any of the others in here, just Adam and Pistons, where did they go?
Fortune
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
Funny now that the lounge has gone I haven't seen DVixen, Paolo, or any of the others in here, just Adam and Pistons, where did they go?

One sure way to see Dvixen is to spell her name that way. wink.gif

I come to Dumpshock for Shadowrun. The Lounge was interesting while it was here, but by no means necessary. There was a growing feeling of eliteness among some of the Loungers, who expounded that the SR forums were boring, and that they only came to Dumpshock for the Lounge itself, while looking down on anyone that deigned to actually want to discuss the game. This is not a good attitude for Dumpshock to foster, in my opinion.

As others have said, there are Forums available that are the equivalent to the Lounge out there.
Tanka
If you want to discuss something that isn't Shadowrun, why come to a Shadowrun forum, neh?
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux @ Dec 13 2003, 10:11 AM)
Funny now that the lounge has gone I haven't seen DVixen, Paolo, or any of the others in here, just Adam and Pistons, where did they go?

One sure way to see Dvixen is to spell her name that way. wink.gif

See it has been so long I forgot how to spell her name. biggrin.gif

The SR forums weren't boring. Most times though it seemed that a topic was of no interest to me at the time (later digging through tons of threads to say to myself I know they discussing that a few days ago) or re-hashing the same old stuff over and over. Other times I found the discussing very interesting.
Domino
QUOTE (Fortune)
There was a growing feeling of eliteness among some of the Loungers, who expounded that the SR forums were boring, and that they only came to Dumpshock for the Lounge itself, while looking down on anyone that deigned to actually want to discuss the game. This is not a good attitude for Dumpshock to foster, in my opinion.

Fortune I have said things along those lines and there were other who stayed out of the SR forum because of the Ego stroking Elitists that TROLL there.

Now all that drek aside People who saw the Lounge as bad spent most of their time in the SR side of things and didn't view similar actions in "their" forum as bad as the same 'you wrong, I smarter you retard monkey' crap in the other. And vice versa.

Now I had fun and enjoyed both of them until the Dikoted monkey sex or My Troll is badder than your Troll threads turned me off. Nothing like being a young kid just starting the game and asking a stupid, retarded chromosomally challenged question or heaven forbid an original idea that others don't like. indifferent.gif

I hope that wasn't the rabid pro-lounge attack that was expected. Both the Main SR forum and the Lounge were just as bad as the other and were filled with asses, myself included. nyahnyah.gif

Just my nuyen.gif2, I could be wrong. wobble.gif
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
Funny now that the lounge has gone I haven't seen Dvixen, Paolo, or any of the others in here, just Adam and Pistons, where did they go?

Hopefully I'm not speaking out of turn, but Dvixen got a fair bit of stick towards the end of the Lounge from general idiots that didn't like being reminded what the rules they signed up for were. That plus for some reason she always seemed to, unfairly, get the most aggrevation saw her bow out for a bit. frown.gif
StealthBanana
Flak- that's the funniest fucking .sig EVER.

biggrin.gif grinbig.gif biggrin.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Domino)
Both the Main SR forum and the Lounge were just as bad as the other and were filled with asses, myself included.

While this is true, the SR forum did not constantly have people bemoaning the Lounge and it's users. Seems like every second thread in the Lounge contained some sort of slam against the SR forum though.
Salvation122
We miss you at Bulldrek, Fortune. (I do, at least; you seem a lot like Bethyaga and Marius, and we could use more people like you and them over there.)
moosegod
*points at sig*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012