Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: the death of dumpshock forum
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Sahandrian
I actually didn't notice the Lounge had closed until a few weeks after, when I saw mention of it in a SR thread.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Diesel)
The general swing of people in the lounge made you a nazi if you dissented from the viewpoints of a few prolix individuals. With only the SR forum, you're only beaten like a nazi if you're retarded, not if you're a bigot or remotely leery of transsexuals.

hahahaha!!!! I love you!

As much as I miss the lounge, I couldn't aggree with you more!
Fortune
QUOTE (Salvation122)
We miss you at Bulldrek, Fortune. (I do, at least; you seem a lot like Bethyaga and Marius, and we could use more people like you and them over there.)

That's nice of you to say. I haven't been there in over a year (I think). Maybe it's time to give it another shot. smile.gif
BumsofTacoma
Im happy with the site the way it is. its helpfull, its good to talk to other players/gms, and cometo think of it, i hardly ever posted in lounge either..........

SR section is my addiction, along with booze, cigarettes, heroin......er um not heroin eek.gif and Day of Defeat.

hehehehe grinbig.gif
thunderchild
QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman)
QUOTE (Diesel @ Dec 12 2003, 03:13 PM)
The general swing of people in the lounge made you a nazi if you dissented from the viewpoints of a few prolix individuals.  With only the SR forum, you're only beaten like a nazi if you're retarded, not if you're a bigot or remotely leery of transsexuals.

hahahaha!!!! I love you!

As much as I miss the lounge, I couldn't aggree with you more!

As i said earlier, most of those people are now gone.

And as for D-Vixen copping alot of crap from wankers who didnt know there place, im willing to moderate the lounge if its brought back, ive moderated on a few forums and empty threats and bullshit dont work on me.
Adam
There are no plans to re-open the Lounge. We want to spend our time strengthening and expanding our Shadowrun base, not dealing with political discussions and the fallout. The offers to moderate are nice, but in the end, The Lounge doesn't fit in with our current plans for the site.

Go to Bulldrek. It doesn't suck.
Tanka
QUOTE (Adam)
Go to Bulldrek. It doesn't suck.

grinbig.gif

See, admins can be funny too!
Frag-o Delux
If you miss the elitism of the lounge you can still find it here in the SR forum.

I guess it's worth saying explicitly and clearly (before arm chair generals begin sharing too much wisdom about HEAT munitions and the Monroe effect)...
Shadow
3 years ago when I started on the boards the lounge was pretty cool. But it seemed lately (the last year or so) it was taken over by a couple of individuals. And anyone who didn't think like them (regardless of facts presented) were closed minded Nazi's. I was also extremely tired of all the "whaa America you suck, everything in the world that is bad is your fault!" I mean I am an American, if I said that about another country in the forums I would be banned (and rightly so).

The lounge basically was full of people who had no interest in SR. The truth of my statement can be shown by the fact that a very few percentage of those people are still around.

If my vote counts for anything, leave the lounge dead.

P.S. If DSF is looking for new blood to help moderate I would be very interested smile.gif

Crimsondude 2.0
The Lounge is dead. Good riddance. Nothing good came from it, and never would.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (otomik)
just an observation from a long time poster...
i've been posting for 4 years here and i don't care if you ban me for this, thats how much i think this place has suffered from closing the lounge.

Here's another observation from another long-time poster:

Dumping the Lounge was the best move they ever made around here, because it's never done anything but drag this place down with a bunch of off-topic bullshit and sniping. My opinion of the place has done nothing but rise since they got rid of that forum. I'm actually more prone to come here to Dumpshock and read the boards and post now that there isn't a Lounge to make the place look bad.
L.D
The Lounge kept me here on DS during a time when the only things you found in Shadowrun where noobs asking the same questions again and again and the threads that weren't rehashes of old were soon engulfed in massive flamewars.

But then it stopped here in Shadowrun and the same started over in The Lounge and the only thing that kept me here was Shadowrun (just before T.C (The Closing) wink.gif). I'm still here because of The Lounge, but unfortunately I don't have much time and thus rarely post.
Plastic Rat
I've been around since early 2003. This forum was my fave place to go and I would open it the first second I got to work. Even if that encluded bribing our Sysadmin with M&M's and Choc-chip cookies not to log me through the firewall.

What drew me originally was Shadowrun, I developed a slight interest in the lounge, but ended up being put off the entire site by the idiocy and especially the hugs and kisses brigade. Yeah, I know, I didn't have to go read it, but the entire place did seem to suffer from it.

Since I've been lurking this place lately (A.C.), it seems that things have picked up and I find a lot more interesting posts. I miss Dvixen and Paolo and it would be good to hear from them. I DON'T in the slightest miss the lounge. My other interests e.g. Battlefield 1942 and Nintendo's GBA have found a home at Gamespy forums. So I'm all setup and don't miss nothing. (Cringe at grammar)

As soon as I get regular access to a pc again, I'll once again be spending most of my days back here.
The Question Man
Heh Folks , I'll admit that the Lounge rarely attracted me , but I did visit when someone directed me there . I'll stay on Lurker status until someone else starts a Shadowrun Campaign .

Good to hear you'll be back Plastic Rat . The boards just haven't been the same without you .

Cheers all .
Cray74
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
If you miss the elitism of the lounge you can still find it here in the SR forum.

I guess it's worth saying explicitly and clearly (before arm chair generals begin sharing too much wisdom about HEAT munitions and the Monroe effect)...

There's something elitist in not wanting to see a thread derailed? nyahnyah.gif
Ol' Scratch
I think he was referring to the derogatory use of "arm chair generals."
Cray74
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
I think he was referring to the derogatory use of "arm chair generals."

I figured as much. I should've been clearer that I included myself among the upper ranks of armchair generals. wink.gif
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (Cray74 @ Dec 17 2003, 03:58 PM)
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux @ Dec 13 2003, 05:33 PM)

There's something elitist in not wanting to see a thread derailed? nyahnyah.gif

The way you said it is elitist. Calling people arm chair generals like you are the be all and end all of what ever it was they were talking about. You could have said "From my research....." or "My job has made me aware of ...." or "Just to point out something to you guys". The whole sentence smelled of elitism. I have no qualms with your qualifications to answer the question being asked but when you do it you don't have to be so smug about it.

Cray I have read plenty of your posts and I know you are a well informed person, but it just looked elitist. Sorry I took so long to answer I was out of town.
Cray74
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux @ Dec 19 2003, 12:14 AM)
The way you said it is elitist.

I caught that the first time around. Unfortunately, the reduced bandwidth of interpersonal communication allowed by the internet reduced an attempted "dry, matter of fact smart ass" to "elitist burgeois pig." As I said earlier, I should've added the clarification that I'm at the top ranks of armchair generals, or perhaps "takes one to know one." wink.gif
Frag-o Delux
Truce? biggrin.gif Actually I am more of an armchair colonel it took many years and a lot of hard fought battles to make it this far. smile.gif I just don't have enough knowledge to make rank, maybe one day.
Herald of Verjigorm
Does this debate have any effect on couch-bound admirals?
Kagetenshi
Or what about us bed pilots?

~J
Bearclaw
I visited the lounge about 5 times. Didn't enjoy it. At all.
FlakJacket
I prefer to think of myself as more of a futon Captain. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012