Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: election date?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
CircuitBoyBlue
QUOTE (Synner @ May 14 2008, 12:09 PM) *
Presidential elections were held less than a year later, once the legal mess of an assassinated President and a missing Vice President was sorted out and some semblance of order had returned to the UCAS. The elections for Seattle Governor were suspended for close to a year and a half (Lindstrom's term was supposed to end around the time of the Crash, in 2064), during which time Seattle was in a state of emergency (like many parts of the country) following the Crash 2.0.

People seem to be underestimating the magnitude of the Second Crash. For the first six months of 2065, the country and the world were still reeling: networks and communications were in shambles; numerous areas of the country were without power, entire grids were down thanks to Winternight's EMP cascade; the UCAS was burying and greiving not hundreds, but tens of thousands of people; no government institution was untouched and critical figures were MIA or dead; there had been at least one secret coup and more attempts in several North American nations; important figures in government were unaccounted for, and others were arrested for treason; almost everyone lost someone they knew, family or friend; the economy, corporations and production lines had ground to a halt and faced an uphill battle to get back in gear—hard when all the elements of the infrastructure, the logistics of supply and demand, and even the usually dependable wageslaves were all still working their way through the aftershocks. The megacorps were more resilient, but they too took a while to shake off the hit, and when they did they focused on themselves, their citizens, and their bottomlines.

Elections weren't on anyone's mind, and in crazy messed up world most of the shell-shocked survivors were happy just to have a stable authority figure at the helm (be it in Washington or in the Seattle Governor's office).

During this time Governor Lindstrom's mandate was extended for the duration of the emergency with the support of the United Corporate Council and federal emergency authorities. Elections were held in mid-2066.

I don't know...
I still think that if they put off the gubernatorial election that long, it would just be begging for surrounding (and other) nations to challenge UCAS control of Seattle, and there'd be no advantage to it. I mean, if people are legitimately as concerned about the crash as you say, why wouldn't the powers that be just have the election on schedule, or slightly thereafter, and just not worry about tallying a correct result (because they can just Diebold themselves up some favorable election results, anyway).
Adarael
Out of curiosity... why? They'd have been just as hard hit by the crash, because the Crash wasn't just a UCAS affair. Tsimshian was already fucked by the war, and the Salish don't have the numbers to challenge the metroplex while still dealing with the Crash. And I doubt putting off an election would be any reason to challenge them militarily. I mean, not having an election gives them no direct advantage.
CircuitBoyBlue
It gives pretext, though. From my understanding, the Metroplex Guard isn't much of a military force. Now that I think about it, the big hold-up would be that there's not really any point to anyone else taking Seattle. But if there's still Seattle separatists at the time of the second Crash, I can see terrorism becoming a real problem during a year or two of postponed elections, especially if no clear date has been set. Then you enter the "elections will be held at our whim" territory. Hell, I was a poli-sci student in DC during the 2000 elections. Everyone there had eyes bulging out of their head when the damn thing wasn't settled on November 8th. I was actually glad when Bush won, because I felt safer when everyone could get some sleep and stop being so strung out and on edge all the time.

I guess this is all in the past by 2070, though. Not by much, but by enough for it to be a moot point.
CanRay
Well, enough that it'd still be an issue in the elections (Hense one of the parties trying to work on that platform).

Damnit, I still wanted the Halfer to win!
CircuitBoyBlue
It's too late. Kucinich dropped out.
Fortune
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ May 15 2008, 01:58 AM) *
...I think that was FizzyPop.

Nope!

QUOTE (Dunkledorf's Will)
After much research and hundreds of bags of burned Nuke-and-Pop, I leave 20 million nuyen to the holder of the patent for the twentieth-century process that produced popcorn capable of being popped over an open flame (this dragon's method of choice). I believe it was called Speedy Pop, or Quick Pop, or something similar. The patent holder must use this money to renew the patent and resume production.

CanRay
Exactly!

I'm sure there's some secret, sinister method to his madness!

And I will certainly be using just that thing when my campaign starts!
Snow_Fox
considering that it's even easier to make popcorn in a little oil with an agitator in the bottom of a pot My guess is it had something to do with the packaging-the way it spirals up as it heats.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012