Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Runner's Companion
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Muspellsheimr
In the interest of giving the developers an idea for what is of interest to the players, early enough that it may be incorporated into the book, I ask:

What would you like to see in Runner's Companion?

Top on my list would probably be guidelines for how to create a new player species, including Racial Build Point values for Critter Powers (including Enhanced Senses), Qualities (Negative & Positive), Critter Weaknesses, & Ability Score Adjustments.
Cain
Combat Pool.
Fortune
I am just making it clear in advance that I am not, in any way, shape, or form, making any sort of comment at this time about Cain's post above. biggrin.gif

Outside of what I know is scheduled to be included, I want to see fluff! Lots of fluff about anything and everything runner-related.
Synner
Runners' Companion is in fact in the final stages of writing and most of the content is set. It will include new and updated character options in the form of metavariants, a handful of Sapient non-metahuman races (incl. shifters and some surprises), the Infected (incl. ghouls), drakes and changelings - all streamlined to the core ruleset and the expanded material in Street Magic, Augmentation and Arsenal. It will also include a truck load of diverse new Qualities, SURGE traits, advanced Contact and Lifestyle rules (for fans of the SSG version), and a bunch of other stuff aimed at expanding the player's experience of the setting and easing them past the (apparent) difficulties of running the shadows in the Seventies.
Fortune
QUOTE (Synner)
... and a bunch of other stuff aimed at expanding the player's experience of the setting and easing them past the (apparent) difficulties of running the shadows in the Seventies.

In other words, fluff. smile.gif
Zen Shooter01
It sounds very promising. I'm exciting about a lot of the upcoming products, especially RC, U, FC, and RW. I've been keen to see Running Wild for a long time, but right now I'm waiting for Unwired.
CanRay
OK... So far, I think the only non-"Must Buy" book that Catalyst has put out for my game has been Enclaves! And the ones being planned looks like my pocketbook is crying!

That is a good thing, however! And yay! FLUFF!!!
ornot
Yay for fluff!

TBH I don't regret buying any of the books, and thirst for more.
CanRay
Oh, I don't regret buying Enclaves, but I haven't cracked it open much as doesn't seem as interesting to me.

Of course, I do have a run planned for LA one day, so I'll have to go into it in detail then. And, who knows, a few players in my group have been asking me which parts of Dunkie's will haven't been fulfilled yet. vegm.gif
ElFenrir
More +/- Qualities

An alternate chargen method

More fluff

and...I'll think of more. biggrin.gif
ornot
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 29 2008, 02:30 PM) *
Oh, I don't regret buying Enclaves, but I haven't cracked it open much as doesn't seem as interesting to me.

Of course, I do have a run planned for LA one day, so I'll have to go into it in detail then. And, who knows, a few players in my group have been asking me which parts of Dunkie's will haven't been fulfilled yet. vegm.gif

Enclaves has some really interesting bits in it. I preferred the LA section to the NeoTokyo part, but Tokyo did give some really nice insights into the workings of the Yakuza. I'm really looking forward to Vice.
Prime Mover
It's been a topic recently and our local game which is only twice a month could really benefit from a karma and cash exchange system.
adamu
QUOTE (Synner @ May 29 2008, 06:44 AM) *
Runners' Companion is in fact in the final stages of writing and most of the content is set. It will include new and updated character options in the form of metavariants, a handful of Sapient non-metahuman races (incl. shifters and some surprises), the Infected (incl. ghouls), drakes and changelings - all streamlined to the core ruleset and the expanded material in Street Magic, Augmentation and Arsenal. It will also include a truck load of diverse new Qualities, SURGE traits, advanced Contact and Lifestyle rules (for fans of the SSG version), and a bunch of other stuff aimed at expanding the player's experience of the setting and easing them past the (apparent) difficulties of running the shadows in the Seventies.

Wow - I was making up my wish list in my head as I opened this thread, and there it is already in print - as a promise of reality.

Made my SR day, Synner.
Aaron
QUOTE (Fortune @ May 29 2008, 05:02 AM) *
In other words, fluff. smile.gif

I'm not so sure about that. Look at the forum here: there are a lot of people who just don't quite grok SR4, even folks that have been playing since 1990. Seems to me that some help on that point might not go amiss.
Cheops
QUOTE (Synner @ May 29 2008, 11:44 AM) *

So does this mean that none of these rules will be compatible with Unwired? Or does it just mean that Unwired is never going to come out? grinbig.gif

I'd be more interested in this if all the core rulebooks were out already.
SprainOgre
Sounds like good stuff. And since the System-that-gives-you-cancer (lol) is no longer publishing anything I want to buy, more money for Shadow Run and Catalyst. smile.gif
Leofski
I'm looking forward to expanded lifestyle choices. Our team peculiarities and requirements made knowing the price of things like rigging building security systems and warehouse space important.

On running wild however I'm looking for rules so that my PCs can beatt he Horrors.
Wesley Street
That description of Runner's Companion makes it sound like a must-buy for me. I can't wait for it to come out. I'm especially anxious for the metavariant options and the new Qualities.
ArkonC
What is the estimated time for the release of the RC anyway? And for Unwired while we're at it?
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (ArkonC @ May 29 2008, 12:49 PM) *
What is the estimated time for the release of the RC anyway? And for Unwired while we're at it?

When it's done. Catalyst doesn't do estimates. They only tell you the release date when they're sure.

Adam
QUOTE (Cheops @ May 29 2008, 10:56 AM) *
I'd be more interested in this if all the core rulebooks were out already.

Unwired will be available before Runner's Companion.
Drogos
I can't help myself...

PWND!!!!

biggrin.gif :lol: biggrin.gif
Muspellsheimr
QUOTE (Drogos @ May 29 2008, 12:45 PM) *
PWND!!!!

Not really.
QUOTE (Synner @ May 29 2008, 04:44 AM) *
Runners' Companion is in fact in the final stages of writing and most of the content is set.

The original reason for this thread still has some purpose...

Still, looks like it is going to be a good book.
Cheops
QUOTE (Adam @ May 29 2008, 06:29 PM) *
Unwired will be available before Runner's Companion.

AWESOME!!!! That makes my day so much better! Thank you! love.gif
last_of_the_great_mikeys
I would like to see free chocolate given with every purchase! Lindt makes some good stuff. Failing that...NERPS™! (Seriously, you gotta have Nerps™ in there somewhere!)
Aaron
QUOTE (last_of_the_great_mikeys @ May 29 2008, 07:45 PM) *
I would like to see free chocolate given with every purchase! Lindt makes some good stuff. Failing that...NERPS™! (Seriously, you gotta have Nerps™ in there somewhere!)

There is free chocolate in every book. Well, in one out of ten books. And it's hidden in the cover and binding.
ornot
And 1 in 100 of those chocolate bars has a golden ticket to visit Catalyst and have your favourite character made a canon Jackpoint poster.
HentaiZonga
I would like to see:

* An official version of BeCKS for 4E
* rules for running any sapient being as a PC (including, if possible, resurrecting dead characters as 'spirits of man' aka ghosts)
* metavariants and SURGElings, of course
* lots of qualities
* optional high-detail combat, vehicle and gear rules
* optional rules to limit dice pool adders to 1/2 (augmented Attribute + augmented Skill).

Blade
* Metavariant pr0n, obviously.
Wolfx
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ May 29 2008, 12:57 PM) *
When it's done. Catalyst doesn't do estimates. They only tell you the release date when they're sure.

I understand the above completely, but can they project as to a quarter/segment of the year for Unwired. I am looking to start a game soon, and I can wait a few months, but would like to know ahead of time for planning.

Aric
Fortune
I would be very surprised indeed if the PDF for Unwired does not appear within the next month.
ravensmuse
What, no conversion rules for d20? You Catalyst guys suck!

Barring that - and I'm being serious here - rules for dragons? I know I'd still want them. Everything else is exactly what I wanted out of Companion.

Also: combat pools? Can someone explain?
Drogos
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ May 30 2008, 07:48 AM) *
Also: combat pools? Can someone explain?

A mechanic from previous editions of the game. If you didn't play anything prior to SR4, it remains unimportant.
ravensmuse
QUOTE (Drogos @ May 30 2008, 07:59 AM) *
A mechanic from previous editions of the game. If you didn't play anything prior to SR4, it remains unimportant.

O-kay. I've been reading SR since 2nd Edition, but I haven't been a player until 4th, so I didn't know if it was some forum joke that I didn't get. Thanks for that smile.gif
ornot
Combat pools were a mechanic whereby a pool of dice, determined by stats such as intelligence and agility, were available for combat actions. This pool would prove extremely valuable for resisting damage and defending, as well as allowing a character to make all out attacks. The pool would refresh every turn, but it remained a tough judgement call as to when spending it would prove most useful. There were similar pools for other character types eg. Spellcasting pools, for casting and resisting drain etc.

The system has its proponents, as well as those that feel it is better forgotten.
ravensmuse
Myself being pretty familiar with the OMG ANGST "roleplaying" system, I find the current system easy to understand and use. Reading the old books for the fluff is great (and I'm working my way through collecting them) but I am glad for 4th.

Alas, this is not that thread, and we should allow people to go back on track smile.gif
CanRay
Yeah, I gotta jump on the bandwagon and demand more NERPS advertisements!
mrslamm0
Very cool! Looks like I have 4 books I need to get now since the only two dead tree copies I have is the core sr4 book and Street Magic lol.

A moment of silence for my bank account... =p
hazemyth
I'm eager for more alternate character rules. but I was really disappointed with metavariants in previous editions.

Generally I prefer when Shadowrun writers draw from folklore directly (like Steve Kenson's original vodoun rules in Awakenings) rather than through the filter of other gaming fiction. As an example, the Koborokuru borrow directly from their Dungeons and Dragons predecessor, rather than the original Ainu folk legend, which is very different (plus, they seem to be mis-spelled. Should be korobokkuru.)

Others just didn't make sense. Why are Middle Eastern orks known by the decidedly English name 'hobgoblin'? Dryads didn't even seem human, let alone playable. Shouldn't dryads just be spirits? On that note, the repetitiveness was strange, i.e. having both metahuman and paracritter satyrs and minotaurs, metahuman and spirit gnomes, etc.

The demographics didn't make sense, either. Why, in Japan, are the Japanese oni incredibly rare, while western (and frankly, Tolkienian) elves, dwarves, orks and trolls are common? Shouldn't all Japanese orks (and/or trolls) be oni?

Given that these things are canon, I wasn't really expecting any change on them, of course. Just my two cents.

On a more positive note, I'm eager to find out what non-metahuman sapient creatures are included. Any chance of non-anthropomorphic ones? And given that we've heard about 'The Infected', maybe we'll be seeing vampires and banshees? smile.gif
Muspellsheimr
So far, it has been stated it will include rules for Vampire PC's, Ghouls, and 'the Infected', which suggests all the rest, or at least most of them.

Also, Shadow Spirit's are, according to Street Magic, Oni (or Demons, Rakshasa, etc. depending on region), so I am really hoping they do not introduce Oni as a new species, let alone a metavariant, in SR4.
hazemyth
Oni are already present as metavariants. Rules for them were included in both prior companions and mention has been made of them in the 4th edition in Corporate Enclaves.

Cool about vampires.
hazemyth
Oh, and on another note... Formal rules on designing advanced characters (like initiates) would be great.
Wesley Street
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ May 30 2008, 12:16 PM) *
Also, Shadow Spirit's are, according to Street Magic, Oni (or Demons, Rakshasa, etc. depending on region), so I am really hoping they do not introduce Oni as a new species, let alone a metavariant, in SR4.

Oni is the Japanese word for "demon" or "devil". And given the insensitive racial attitudes of many Japanese I'm not surprised they would slap the poor ork metavariant with that moniker. I'd have no problem with the physical oni being reintroduced. Just call the spirit variant something else when you're not in Japan to avoid confusion. smile.gif
Muspellsheimr
And a Rakshasa is an Indian demonic being. I am well aware of what Oni means, which is why I would have a problem with it being a metavariant even if there was nothing else that went by the term. I do *not* have a problem with it being a derogatory term for said metavariant, simply with it being the "official" name of the race.

This is, of course, nitpicking, but I tend to do that alot regarding fluff that is 'off' in regards to RL - which is why I also have a problem with the scientific magicians being called Hermetic - Hermeticism is a semi-religious philosophical belief system.
Hatspur
I would love to see a more comprehensive list of miscellaneous items in the 6th world like on pg. 304-305 BBB. This section is so incredibly handy when it comes to logistics and I would love to see it upgraded.
Wesley Street
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ May 30 2008, 12:49 PM) *
And a Rakshasa is an Indian demonic being. I am well aware of what Oni means, which is why I would have a problem with it being a metavariant even if there was nothing else that went by the term. I do *not* have a problem with it being a derogatory term for said metavariant, simply with it being the "official" name of the race.

This is, of course, nitpicking, but I tend to do that alot regarding fluff that is 'off' in regards to RL - which is why I also have a problem with the scientific magicians being called Hermetic - Hermeticism is a semi-religious philosophical belief system.

I'm not trying to be nitpicky, so please don't take this as such, but I wanted to point out that Hermetics aren't necessarily "scientific". The definition of hermetic that I believe is applied to the Shadowrun system of magic is that it's not affected by an outside system (ie: spirits, loa, etc). It's practitioners are self-isolated and not influenced by a philosophical or religious belief system. Nothing to do with Thoth-worshiping mystics or alchemists. biggrin.gif
Zhan Shi
I'm hoping for an Immoral Elf Positive Quality. smile.gif

Seriously, I'm looking forward to the metavarients, changelings, and other weirdness, plus the new qualities. Hell, everything. Love the fluff. I imagine some things such as lifestyles, what a 'runner does after retirement, and such will be given updates as well.
Sweaty Hippo
QUOTE (Blade @ May 30 2008, 05:19 AM) *
* Metavariant pr0n, obviously.

Seconded.

Seriously, I'd like to see metavariants as possible playing options in general. I've always wanted to to make a Kitsune (SNES Shadowrun) inspired NPC!

QUOTE (ravensmuse @ May 30 2008, 06:48 AM) *
What, no conversion rules for d20? You Catalyst guys suck!

Due to the whole "guns are lethal" thing in Shadowrun, I don't think that d20 would reflect very well. For example, in d20 modern with the right build, you can gain enough hit points to withstand a machine gun (heavy machine gun, not an assault rifle).
Ancient History
QUOTE (Sweaty Hippo @ May 31 2008, 07:39 PM) *
I've always wanted to to make a Kitsune (SNES Shadowrun) inspired NPC!

Take a gander at the back of Corporate Enclaves, the Neo-Tokyo tracks.
Siege
QUOTE (Aaron @ May 29 2008, 02:37 PM) *
I'm not so sure about that. Look at the forum here: there are a lot of people who just don't quite grok SR4, even folks that have been playing since 1990. Seems to me that some help on that point might not go amiss.

I'll second that - I haven't played in a while, but the new emphasis on 'universal wireless' gave me a migraine.

Prime - Cash for Karma or vice versa has been a debated game mechanic with people on both sides. The magic folk usually end up credsticks full of cash but never enough karma while the mundanes suffer the exact opposite - overflowing karmic buckets with seriously limited cash flow.

I think the general opinion is against a 'kash for carma' exchange as a mechanical balance for both sides of the Awakened fence.

Optional rules abound, but unless someone cares to correct me, it won't be an official option in the near future.

-Siege
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012