Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bicycles of doom
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Jackstand
Drag racing is combat driving. It's just a combat fought with speed, rather than horrible maiming!

Well... Unless you crash, and then you can have both.
CanRay
Unless it's illegal street drag racing, then it's more like Drive-By Drag Racing.

GET ME THE CONTACT WE HAVE WITH HORIZON! NOW!!!
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (kigmatzomat @ Jul 6 2008, 12:25 PM) *
Or that a driver can get up to max speed in every day driving without making a test.

"Characters don’t need to make a vehicle test every time they operate a vehicle. For normal everyday tasks, like driving to the Stuffer Shack, it’s assumed the character performs this
automatically. A vehicle test is called for only when there’s a chance of bad consequences (like crashing), or if time is a crucial factor (like jumpstarting a car while under fire.)
" p.159 core rules.

Is driving at highway speeds on a highway a "normal, every day task?" If it's the middle of the night, there's no traffic and no cops around, and you want to peg your spedometer on that straightaway, is your chance of bad consequences really any higher than you hadn't?

As for the other part, the "movement" rates set by acceleration only being applicable to tactical vehicle combat, while the book doesn't explicitly state such, I find it very telling that they're not used at all in chase combat, even though that's a situation where the vehicles are clearly not standing still. Combine that with the rule that says when it's appropriate to use a vehicle with no test required and it seems pretty clear to me that outside of combat situations the only things that matter are the vehicle's max speed, the amount of road congestion, and what the local traffic laws say on speed, should the character choose to abide by those.
Chrysalis
I was looking through Arsenal and since everything has to be made correct following all of Arsenal's guidelines. Here's a the bicycle of doom I have statted up.

http://www.2shared.com/file/3605747/4c070b..._CA_160708.html

Stahlseele
you were bored i believe *g*
Chrysalis
You can tell?

Next one is this bike here:

http://www.combatreform2.com/swissLBIa.jpg

Stahlseele
and switzerland wonders why our armies joke about theirs . . but i still would not want to attack a country that is basically completely in the mountains and has WW1/WW2-Style bunkers all over their borders x.x . .
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 17 2008, 01:24 AM) *
and switzerland wonders why our armies joke about theirs . .

didnt japan invade most of south asia using soldiers on bicycles?

it do not have to be motorized to be more effective then walking. also, your cant pick it up that easy on heat or audio...
Chrysalis
http://www.combatreform.com/atb.htm

Everything you could possibly want to know about military applications of bikes.
Sir_Psycho
I imagine extreme bicycle courier operations are the province of adepts. I bet they can do pretty sweet things on a bike. They could easily take shortcuts up and down stairs, through buildings and probably even OVER traffic.

Could work for a pretty cool chase scene.
Wounded Ronin
If Rambo can use a bow and arrow, surely we can use bikes of doom.
Stahlseele
Bow andArrow was ALLWAYS viable in SR . . at least for high STR chars *g*
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 17 2008, 02:22 PM) *
Bow andArrow was ALLWAYS viable in SR . . at least for high STR chars *g*

How much do you want to bet they added that in after watching Rambo? Well, that and the Cougar Fineblade knife...
CanRay
Ah, bows and arrows...

"Elves of the world, unite!"
Sir_Psycho
Would peddling be strength or agility?
Chrysalis
Strength.

Of course when you go past 25 mph on a bike you have air and wind resistance to work with. 40 mph is probably the best you can do with a bike on a good down hill with a head wind without going into racing bikes with expert bicyclists.
hobgoblin
ok, now i want to see a troll with maxed out cyberlegs and strength riding one of these new bikes where your almost sitting on the ground wink.gif
Chrysalis
It's called a recumbent bicycle.

hobgoblin
thanks smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012