Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How often do you wear camo?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Snow_Fox
The other day I caught part of a movie on TV-A Bridge Too Far i think and as british soldiers marched into a city having gotten through the wood, Anthony Hopkins looks at one of his officers with twigs stuck in his helmet and says "I've just realized we're waering the wrong camoflague. I don't think this will fool anyone."

How often do you dress for a run in a camo, urban or enviromentally correct? Like woodland in the SS area, desert in PCC? I know it's been available since Fields of Fire but how often do you use it? We're city creatures mainly so going outside our comfort range is going to catch our attnetion. a run to Flagstaff? OK I'll dress for it, but what about in the city? Usually you waer a leather coat and in a city for armor, armored camo and armored fatiiges woul give a better armor rating that an armored jacket but does anyone dress like that?
Zak
Well, some of my characters do. My Troll basically only wears camo. Usually urban camo and a coat.
I don't think he stands out because of that, it isn't that unpractical in the rougher areas and there is so much security, military and DesertWar fans running around dressing in that style all the time.
Ryu
Most players in my group go for the chameleon suit, set to static mode for downtown use.

I prefer the camo suits, so my chars will usually own urban and woodland camo. I have managed to wear normal woodland camo in the winter, so that "Dude, look!" moment came up, with me as the guilty party. My chars usually own quite a selection of armored clothing, so going civilian is easy.
Shiloh
With "preprogrammed colour schemes" adding a few hundred nuyen to clothes, I generally think it's okay for armour to be modded the same way with several (maybe even *lots* of) preprogrammed camo schemes for various/all occasions. Plus some "fashion" schema too. Means you can switch from the woodland-at-night type to the urban once you've penetrated the buildings.
Lordmalachdrim
Depends on the character. Some characters I've had have had very distinctive styles of dress and others have been more stealthy.
hobgoblin
urban camo? isnt that basically to dress like joe wageslave? wink.gif
Stahlseele
IRL?
i wear it from time to time, mostly night-camo though . .
in character?
every character has at least urban and woods as full camo suit . .
ok, the cat-shaman was miffed when he actually HAD to wear it *g*
VagabondStar
They haven't started making Tres-Chic Camo, yet.
HeavyMetalYeti
What about the various fashion colors? Pink woodland for the vixon on the run, or blue tigerstripe for the wageslave heading to the club. Not really practical but it is still out there.
CanRay
I heard of one "Special Forces" unit had a "Dress Uniform" that was Purple Battle Dress Uniforms. Can't remember who.

Lots of folks buy Army Surplus, so it's not that out there for outfits on the street, even Downtown, but don't try going to a party in it.
Hocus Pocus
never really did the camo thing. now a tutu on the other hand...
psychophipps
Never except for one character's crazy chameleon-fiber ninja suit. Of course, he's the one who got killed that mission so I have taken that as indicative.
Kliko
Depending on the run and violence spectrum. During legwork no way, but in case we're out on the proll our team is basically forming an urban special tactics team with a scout adept and 2x backup heavies in the urban/woodlands camo full suit + tactical vests etc., the works basically. Helmets work great in this setup as well since impact armor is usually highly overlooked by most sr teams (but then again we're suckers for the knock-out rules).

Again it depends on the pink mohawk versus 'black' playing style of your party. We're basically in the pitch black corner of hte argument.
Siege
Every day.

My characters? Rarely.

The point of "camouflage" is to blend in, but most of the runs I've ever played on involved a fast transition from heavily populated areas to deserted, seedy areas and back. Which meant a generic black jumpsuit (damn what the Army says - it may not occur naturally, but the sun does go away every 12 hours) and generic civvies.

-Siege
Sir_Psycho
In SR3 my characters had full body urban camo or a camouflaged form fit suit whenever they went on an infiltration. They'd keep a coat over that if they had to pass through a public area, but I emphasized stealth, so most of my characters geared up for infiltration and then snuck to the target or got dropped off.

In SR4 however I've found my characters try to blend in to public a lot better, so I have some form fit under a nice jacket, and camouflage I almost exclusively use ruthenium coated armour, because it's just so cheap with the edition change.
Siege
The other problem - thermo.

-Siege
Sir_Psycho
Thermal Dampening on your chameleon suit? Cheap enough. I usually get Thermal Dampening and/or nonconductivity on my form-fit as a matter of necessity.
Kliko
At charachter generation max rating 4..., works wonders yes... iamgine the poor troll with his +4 target numbers to about everything he's aiming at you.
Wesley Street
I prefer all black. It's slimming.
psychophipps
QUOTE (Siege @ Jul 18 2008, 12:48 AM) *
Every day.

My characters? Rarely.

The point of "camouflage" is to blend in, but most of the runs I've ever played on involved a fast transition from heavily populated areas to deserted, seedy areas and back. Which meant a generic black jumpsuit (damn what the Army says - it may not occur naturally, but the sun does go away every 12 hours) and generic civvies.

-Siege

The issue now, from the US Army's standpoint anyway, is that all black stands out like a neon light in 3rd-gen night vision devices as well as not occurring naturally. With these devices being available to basically anyone with $300 to spend, all-black combat gear for spec ops and the like has gone the way of the do-do just to keep from getting ganked while trying to look like a ninjer.

I fail to see why this wouldn't continue to be an issue with SR image enhancement technology being even more prevalent.

Besides, have you seen non-closeup video of the new camo patterns being used? You can see it fine up close but you get any real distance away and it's like they blend into just about any terrain they might be in, even with full-tilt NVGs.
Chrysalis
I wear it to bed every night. No it is not combat dress. Camo comes in pink nowadays.

-Chrysalis
cryptoknight
QUOTE (VagabondStar @ Jul 17 2008, 08:11 PM) *
They haven't started making Tres-Chic Camo, yet.

Guess again

http://www.amazon.com/Commando-Camouflage-...y/dp/B000NT4888
CanRay
Giving new meaning to "Going Commando". nyahnyah.gif
Wesley Street
Her crotch would be completely invisible in woodland terrain! What a useful skill.

QUOTE (psychophipps @ Jul 18 2008, 02:33 PM) *
Besides, have you seen non-closeup video of the new camo patterns being used? You can see it fine up close but you get any real distance away and it's like they blend into just about any terrain they might be in, even with full-tilt NVGs.

Modern camoflage isn't so much a matter of looking like your surroundings ("I put twigs on my head to look like a tree!") as creating a digitized, visual white-noise that makes the viewer's eye slide past you. At least that's what the US Army's newer Army Combat Uniform fatigues are supposed to do. I don't know what the stats are on its success rate.
hermit
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Jul 4 2008, 05:06 PM) *
The other day I caught part of a movie on TV-A Bridge Too Far i think and as british soldiers marched into a city having gotten through the wood, Anthony Hopkins looks at one of his officers with twigs stuck in his helmet and says "I've just realized we're waering the wrong camoflague. I don't think this will fool anyone."

How often do you dress for a run in a camo, urban or enviromentally correct? Like woodland in the SS area, desert in PCC? I know it's been available since Fields of Fire but how often do you use it? We're city creatures mainly so going outside our comfort range is going to catch our attnetion. a run to Flagstaff? OK I'll dress for it, but what about in the city? Usually you waer a leather coat and in a city for armor, armored camo and armored fatiiges woul give a better armor rating that an armored jacket but does anyone dress like that?

My Characters usually have at least one suit of photovoltaic cameleon paint-coated suit, to wear on tuns ... that can switch camo as nescessary. Pretty useful.
crash2029
For a hard entry my characters usually have a camou suit in dark blue w/ helmet and space for velcro unit patches. That way when shit hits the fan the team looks alot like a [corp/police/federal] rapid response team. Although my characters usually go for ALICE harnesses over MOLLE because I think they look cooler.
VagabondStar
I honestly don't think I've ever met anyone in the US military who's ever worn urban camo. Even force recon tended to just wear flight suits (Nomex= the good stuff).

As for functionality... is black and white and gray really going to help you blend in with the urban environment? I agree with a previous poster that dressing normally is the best urban camo.
Trax
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 17 2008, 08:22 PM) *
I heard of one "Special Forces" unit had a "Dress Uniform" that was Purple Battle Dress Uniforms. Can't remember who.

That's the Syrians I think.
Zak
QUOTE (Trax @ Jul 18 2008, 11:54 PM) *
That's the Sybians I think.

quoted for the double pun.
HeavyMetalYeti
I remember a Punisher War Zone where he used those white chem suits painted with various "trash and litter" all over including a partial metal trash can. It folded up small enough to fit in his pocket yet could be dawned quickly and blended well with all the alley trash lying around. He kept several different suits painted up to match different environments in that handy utility belt of his. grinbig.gif
hobgoblin
heh, batman with guns. lots of guns silly.gif

sounds a bit like a urban gillie suit btw wink.gif

or would that just be dressing as a hobo?
HeavyMetalYeti
Partially off subject, I remember when Punisher 2099 came out. He had this club that he could set the impact from that of a feather to several tons. �Hum, do I want to hit this ganger with a sack of feathers of a sack of Chevy V8 engine blocks?� It was a pretty large club not like an Asp so the chance of concealing it was nil. He also had this device running that when a video camera picked him up it blurred out his head in white noise. He had several other goodies that would fit right in SR but I, alas do not have the books in front of me, if I still have them that is. “When a boy becomes a man, he must give up boyish things.� Or something like that.

VagabondStar
QUOTE (HeavyMetalYeti @ Jul 19 2008, 12:11 AM) *
Partially off subject, I remember when Punisher 2099 came out. He had this club that he could set the impact from that of a feather to several tons. �Hum, do I want to hit this ganger with a sack of feathers of a sack of Chevy V8 engine blocks?� It was a pretty large club not like an Asp so the chance of concealing it was nil. He also had this device running that when a video camera picked him up it blurred out his head in white noise. He had several other goodies that would fit right in SR but I, alas do not have the books in front of me, if I still have them that is. “When a boy becomes a man, he must give up boyish things.� Or something like that.

I Conrinthians 13.

Could you use nanotech to create a small emp field around a person so that he tends to avoid being captured on camera? I can't think of how else you could justify a device that obscured your face without actually obscuring the face. Plasma?
HeavyMetalYeti
Thanks Vaga, I found the verse:

1Cr 13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

I found this: The Punisher also wears a cybernetic suit capable of uploading various martial arts techniques for hand-to-hand combat. His suit is also equipped with multiple technological devices, such as a face-scramble to avoid detection by the many security cameras on the city streets.

[ Spoiler ]
Siege
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Jul 18 2008, 10:06 PM) *
For a hard entry my characters usually have a camou suit in dark blue w/ helmet and space for velcro unit patches. That way when shit hits the fan the team looks alot like a [corp/police/federal] rapid response team. Although my characters usually go for ALICE harnesses over MOLLE because I think they look cooler.

I'll tell you this for free - it sucks major @$$.

-Siege

HeavyMetalYeti
QUOTE (Siege @ Jul 18 2008, 06:31 PM) *
I'll tell you this for free - it sucks major @$$.

-Siege

I suppose you are refering to a hard entery and not the dark blue camo suit. Because we all know blue looks good on anybody. OS, when do you deploy?
VagabondStar
QUOTE (cryptoknight @ Jul 18 2008, 08:00 PM) *

ARG! MY SOUL!
Siege
I was talking about wearing LBE suspenders and pistol belt strapped to IBA.

For the MOLLE system, they make vests covered in PALS straps.

More carrying options, easier to configure and definitely easier to pull on and off between loads.

-Siege
hobgoblin
QUOTE (VagabondStar @ Jul 19 2008, 04:58 AM) *
ARG! MY SOUL!

this is dumpshock, you signed of on your soul at the door...
nezumi
Tangentially related, there was a post (I think on here) comparing different camo's effectiveness when used outside of its intended locale. Their 'urban setting' looked like it might be some Iraqi village, but aside from that, pretty interesting. Urban camo fared the worst, standing out the most in the most settings. Desert camo fared the best, and was in fact comparable to urban camo in an urban setting. But again, I think this may have been related to their choice of urban sites. Probably worth rereading for people who do like their camo lots.
Sir_Psycho
QUOTE (Kliko @ Jul 18 2008, 08:32 AM) *
At charachter generation max rating 4..., works wonders yes... iamgine the poor troll with his +4 target numbers to about everything he's aiming at you.

Actually, trolls have "normal" photosensitive vision too, so you'd use only the lowest dp modifier, either the +4 for thermo, but probably the +2 for low-light and other visual mods. Dwarves and Trolls would not be able to function with JUST thermosensitive vision.
crash2029
I was talking about wearing LBE suspenders and pistol belt strapped to IBA.

For the MOLLE system, they make vests covered in PALS straps.

More carrying options, easier to configure and definitely easier to pull on and off between loads.

-Siege

Maybe I just watch too much A-Team. But Hannibal rocks. Anybody think the velcro patches thing is a good idea?
Chrysalis
Better than having to rip off unit insignia with a knife.
Siege
I can't think of anyone who loves them.

The patches tend to wrinkle and roll at the edges, so you have a sloppy look to the name tape. If the gear you're pulling on has any velcro, it'll snag on the velcro on your uniform.

The pen holders is a wonderful idea for garrison - if you don't empty the damn things out before you start trying to shrug into IBA or anything else, the pens get tangled in the straps or in the gear itself and you waste time trying to get untangled. And if you forget to pull the pens out before you wash your uniform, you just destroyed your top.

The name and branch tapes are always just a little too short, so you have velcro fluff showing around the tape. Because it's velcro, you have to do a double check to make sure everything is on straight and even.

Conceptually, it's a great idea - but you can tell where the whole testing phase was spent mostly on a drawing board.

Just my two bits, anyway.

The LBE may look cool - opinions differ on that, but the ALICE clips just aren't that great for keeping your crap in place. The MOLLE/PALs arrangement takes a little longer to put on and take off, but you're also reasonably certain nothing will come off accidentally.

With LBE, your available load space is limited to the belt and the front part of the suspenders; with a MOLLE/PALs vest, you can use the entire front, back and sides for your load requirements.

-Siege

Edit: Also, new velcro is amazingly loud. Old velcro is very quiet, but doesn't stick all that well. Buttons might take a second, but they never made much noise either.
HeavyMetalYeti
Just pick them up in the gift shop before going on a run and you're all set. grinbig.gif
VagabondStar
I guess that's why MARPAT went without the velcro and the pen holder... or was it just that the marine corps didn't want to pay for extras? Hmmmmm. I wonder.
Siege
Here's a quickie blurb about the Air crewmember uniform and the improved vehicle crewmember uniform:

http://www.armytimes.com/legacy/new/0-ARMYPAPER-2313646.php

The ACU pattern was designed, as I understand it, to defeat digital imaging technology. Never mind our current and foreseeable crop of hostiles won't be using such high end tech.

If you want an idea about the next set of camo patterns to be adopted (maybe): http://www.multicampattern.com/

-Siege

Edit: For the wits designing the latest toys around: http://peosoldier.army.mil/soldierscorner/acu.asp
kzt
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jul 19 2008, 04:49 AM) *
Urban camo fared the worst, standing out the most in the most settings.

iirc, "Urban Camo" is actually a snow camo pattern.
VagabondStar
I would hope that the next generation of camo would be programmable to some extent.
Siege
Heh.

I'm sure it's on the drawing board, but I don't see it happening in the immediate future.

-Siege
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012