Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Game of Numbers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Zolhex
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Symbiotes could be added to the mix, but they're mostly unnecessary (especially since he already has nanosymbiotes). Symbiotes 3 would make the healing time within minutes and hours, though, so sure, throw it in if his Bio Index can support it and don't mind the +60% cost to Lifestyle.

Um sorry to burst your bubble but p.93 M7M under nanosymbiotes 3rd paragraph last sentance Nanosymbiotes are incompatatible with symbiotes.

Just incase you did not know.
Ol' Scratch
Well then, burst Sphynx's bubble not mine.
Zolhex
Not out to burst anyones bubble. Hell I was like this sucks when I found out. I was so like hey GM can I.... and then I read on. Oh well I guess someone was paying attention at Fasa/Fanpro that day.
Ol' Scratch
I'd rather have Nanosymbiotes any day of the week anyway. smile.gif They're way more effective and don't hike up your Lifestyle costs.
Zazen
Equipment: Armored Vest with Dikoted Plates (Fire Resistance 5, Nonconductive 4), Form-Fitting Body Armor (Nonconductive 2, Chemical Seal 2, Thermal Dampening 1), Armored Jacket (Fire Resistance 4, Nonconductive 4), Armored Clothing (Chemical Seal 3), Forearm Guards.

Final Armor Rating: Ballistic 12, Impact 10 (11 in melee), Nonconductive 7, Fire Resistance 7, Chemical Seal 4. No Combat Pool or Quickness Penalties (total Ballistic is 10, total Impact is 10).

That's at least 12 or 13 points of total applicable ballistic. This guys looking at quickness penalties.
Ol' Scratch
Armored Vest: Ballistic 5/Impact 4.
Armored Jacket: Ballistic 5/Impact 3.
Armored Clothing: Ballistic 0/Impact 3.
Form Fitting: Doesn't Count.

Last time I checked, 5+5 = 10 and 4+3+3 = 10.

If you want to count the Forearm Guards, it's a moot point; you have to be a full 2 points over Quickness to have the penalties. It's also debatable that the Dikoting of the Armored Vest's plates wouldn't count towards the penalty, but I added it in anyway.

EDIT: Oh dear, I see where the problem is. I've always treated Armored Clothing as Impact instead of Ballistic -- that's what I get for throwing stats together from memory. Very well, scratch the Armored Clothing, change it to normal clothing (with Chemical Seal 2), and throw in, I dunno, a Rapid Transit Line helmet. It'll add +1 to the final Impact. Other calculations remain the same, and now you have a few extra hundred nuyen to blow.
Austere Emancipator
It's also debatable that the Dikoting of the Armored Vest's plates wouldn't count towards the penalty [...]

Sorry for going off-topic, but... How so? The penalties obviously don't come from rigidity (since flexible suits of armor cause exactly the same penalties as those with plates when the armor ratings are the same), weight (" heavier " " " " " " " " " " that weigh less " " " " " " ") or thickness/size (" less concealable " " " " " " " " " " with higher concealability " " " " " " " ").
Ol' Scratch
Debatable because the rules don't really make sense; it's a bonus to the effective armor, not a modification of the actual armor. The same is true if you have your bones coated with Titanium; you gain the same benfits (and then some), yet they're still just "bones" for all intents and purposes outside of the hike in Weight... and Dikote doesn't even add weight.

But like I said, I added it anyway to avoid any debate on the subject. It's a moot point. He's now at 10/10 even with the Forearm Guards.
gknoy
Short of a cheesy shapeshifter character, the following is a combo I came across by accident a year or so ago (and upgraded slightly since) for a "hard to kill" character.

This kind of character, like Stephanie Edwards and Bob Eubanks, will inspire a MULTITUDE of crazed screams of, "Aren't you DEAD YET!?"

I mean, seriously ... you see this guy step out of a car, while remembering that the last time you saw him you ran over him with a bus, set him on fire, and pumped him full of lead. wink.gif

I guess it's another reason for the mantra, "Three in the head, you know they're dead"... unless, of course, they have a heavily armored cyberskull, in which case you pretty much would want to make sure it was mounted over your fireplace to ensure never meeting its owner again. wink.gif
Ol' Scratch
Even shooting him in the head wouldn't help much. Sure, it might bypass armor according to the FAQ (bleh!), but that's a very minor aspect of the character. The point is that he doesn't even need to make his Damage Resistance Tests. The combination of his Quick Healer edge, the Platelet Factories/Trauma Damper, the Guardian Angel, and his Nanosymbiotes means he'll be healed up in no time, and even three Deadly shots in succession aren't guaranteed to kill him, let alone put him at Deadly. A single Deadly shot is almost always going to be staged down to a Moderate wound, which heals as a Light Wound.
Nonsensical
A single Deadly shot is almost always going to be staged down to a Moderate wound, which heals as a Light Wound.

Immediately, no less, as according to the Nanosymbiote rules the healing time becomes 0x24 hours, or instantaneous. Make the healing test, and it is done.
The Jopp
My silly addition

Troll
Full body cybernetic replacement (obvious limbs, it's not like he's gonna be in a beauty contest)

1 Tracking mount in each arm (Retractable) (2)
2 Tracking mounts in each leg (Retractable) (4)
1 Articulate Arm in torso (Retractable) (1)
1 external hardpoints on each forearm. (2)

All equipped with a SMG with Smartlink 2, rangefinder, Gasvent 4, Underbarrel weight.

The left hand

All guns are connected to the characters right hand Smartlink 2.

The character has a SMG in each hand and begins to open fire with his right hand SMG.

The character also has an overriding autosoft giving one specific command to all the other smartlinked weapons= Open fire at the same target as the Primary Gun.

Let's see, each gun is firing 6 shot FA without any recoil (5+1 streght bonus) that would be...11 guns blazing away at the same time with a total of 66 FA shots, and no recoil penalties.

An alternative is to use sensor enhanced gunnery but that means that you must remove one gun from the right hand thus only having a 60 round FA. cyber.gif cyber.gif cyber.gif

There is only one quote possible for that: Dodge THIS!
CoalHeart
Mmmm Ultra cheese
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Yum Donuts)
priority A 1,000,000 nuyen.gif
other priorities moot.
retire with high lifestyle for life.

And no clothes.

~J
Tanka
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Yum Donuts @ Dec 17 2003, 11:14 AM)
priority A 1,000,000 nuyen.gif
other priorities moot.
retire with high lifestyle for life.

And no clothes.

~J

Who says you have to go outside? biggrin.gif
Yum Donuts
clothing is considered part of lifestyles. check out the description in SR3
Zazen
Debatable because the rules don't really make sense...

Yeah, it'd be kind of like adding penalties because the character decided to spraypaint his vest with gang colors or something.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Yum Donuts)
clothing is considered part of lifestyles. check out the description in SR3

Hm. Then what's the point of the clothing costs? Street lifestyles only?
Anyway, as someone else has probably pointed out that I've missed, really the best combination is digestive expansion, a permanent High lifestyle, and then another 75k or so nuyen of whatever you want.

~J
Shadow
A troll with strength 15 and duel dikoted cyber spurs. Total damage, 19S.

resist that.
Phaeton
Maximus, ork Urban Brawler and gladiator wannabe:

Body 11(20)
Quickness 12
Strength 11
Charisma 2
Intelligence 6
Willpower 3

Exceptional Attr. BOD
Bonus Attr. Point QCK
Toughness
Sea Madness
Impulsive
Cpmbat Monster

Essence: 0.02
Magic: -7
Reaction 11
Initiative 2(3)

Titanium Bone Lacing
Dermal Plating 3
Dermal Sheath 3
Suprathyroid Gland
Pain Editor

Urban Brawl Heavy Armor(SR2)
-Ballistic 6
-Impact 4
Urban Brawl Helmet (SR2)
+1
+1
Ballistic Shield
+3
+1
Titanium Bone Lacing
+1
+2

...How's that for stage-downability? cyber.gif grinbig.gif
Zazen
Alas, dermal plating and dermal sheath cannot be combined.
Phaeton
QUOTE (Zazen)
Alas, dermal plating and dermal sheath cannot be combined.

... frown.gif

...I REALLY WISH NSRCG HAD TOLD ME THAT!!! devil.gif
Lindt
Beh, all you really need is a drunkard, a billy goat, some maonase, and a city bus.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Shadow)
A troll with strength 15 and duel dikoted cyber spurs. Total damage, 19S.

resist that.

19S -11 (Impact) = 8S

Body 16: 2 4 1 2 2 1 10 3 1 8 4 5 3 5 2 1. Two successes; staged down to Moderate.

Platelet Factory kicks in and drops it by one box. Trauma Damper does as well, shifting one to Stun. Left with one box of Physical and one box of Stun damage.

Guardian Angel does it's thing (TN 4; -2 from Guardian Angel, -2 from Quick Healer, -2 due to Body score; minimum TN 2): 4 5 4 2 4 3. Six successes. Note that even if he didn't stage it down to Moderate, it would still be a TN of 2. Hell, even if it was a Deadly wound, the TN would have been 4 and he would have gotten four successes and would be at a Moderate wound (that heals as if it were a Light wound; meaning he'd be completely healed by tomorrow).

I'm not sure if that means if the wound is patched up and he has no boxes on his Condition Chart (Biotech: First Aid lowers wound levels by one). Even pretending it didn't, it doesn't matter; the Nanosymbiotes then kick in reducing healing times by one level, and the Light wounds are both patched up in no time.

Okay, resisted.
Phaeton
QUOTE (Lindt)
Beh, all you really need is a drunkard, a billy goat, some maonase, and a city bus.

eek.gif question.gif eek.gif question.gif eek.gif question.gif
Zazen
I made a one-shot character for a player in an "all combat, all asskicking, all ridiculous" kind of game. He followed the Mr Indescructible model you guys are using. I'm doing this from memory so I'm sure I'll make some mistakes.

Race: Troll

Body: 22
Quickness: 8
Strength: 15
Cha: 1
Int: 4
Will: 3

Cyber (almost all used alpha):
Dermal Sheath 3
Titanium Bone Lacing
2 "Kid Stealth" Cyberlegs w/ 10 ballistic armor each
Guardian angel in left leg
Hive w/ nanosymbiotes in right leg
Smartlink 2, subdermal biomonitor, a big fucking rhino horn with a venom sac, and some other salt-and-pepper stuff

Bio:

Suprathyroid gland
Platelet Factories
Trauma Dampener
Pain Editor
Muscle Toner 1

Edges:

Toughness
Quick Healer
Exceptional Attribute: Body
Bonus Attribute Point: Quickness

Flaws to taste

Armor:

Full form fitting (w/ armor mods to taste)
Armor jacket (w/ armor mods to taste)
Dikoted Security Helmet (again, mods to taste)
Dikoted Forearm guards

A mere 12/9[11] armor (13/10[12] when he dons his gyro-stabilization unit), and 22 damage resistance dice is pretty respectable. He was, if I recall correctly, still at minus four or five to healing TNs despite all the bioware.
Zazen
Guardian Angel does it's thing (TN 4; -2 from Guardian Angel, -2 from Quick Healer, -2 due to Body score; minimum TN 2): 4 5 4 2 4 3. Six successes. Note that even if he didn't stage it down to Moderate, it would still be a TN of 2. Hell, even if it was a Deadly wound, the TN would have been 4 and he would have gotten four successes and would be at a Moderate wound (that heals as if it were a Light wound; meaning he'd be completely healed by tomorrow).

I believe you're forgetting to apply half of his bio index as a penalty.

Probably still leaves you with minus three or four.
Phaeton
QUOTE (Zazen)
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Dec 19 2003, 03:07 PM)
Guardian Angel does it's thing (TN 4; -2 from Guardian Angel, -2 from Quick Healer, -2 due to Body score; minimum TN 2):  4 5 4 2 4 3.  Six successes.  Note that even if he didn't stage it down to Moderate, it would still be a TN of 2.  Hell, even if it was a Deadly wound, the TN would have been 4 and he would have gotten four successes and would be at a Moderate wound (that heals as if it were a Light wound; meaning he'd be completely healed by tomorrow).

I believe you're forgetting to apply half of his bio index as a penalty.

Probably still leaves you with minus three or four.

Who needs to heal when you can stage down a Panther round to near nothing? biggrin.gif
Shadow
DidI forget to mention it's a called shot that bypasses armor? smile.gif
Ol' Scratch
See above. Still neglible damage. It takes a minimum of a Deadly wound to do any long-lasting damage to the character (insane as that is). Serious is automatically dropped to Moderate due to Platelet Factors and/or Trauma Dampener, and that's all but guaranteed to be dropped down to Light due to the Guardian Angel. The Nanosymbiotes then heal that up almost instantaneously.
Sphynx
Just a quick FYI on First Aid (and this includes the Guardian Angel).

It takes 5 Combat Turns to 'First Aid' a Light Wound.
It takes 10 Combat Turns to 'First Aid' a Moderate Wound.
It takes 15 Combat Turns to 'First Aid' a Serious Wound.

Any interruption in the process (continual physical exertion), means starting over again.

I agree that the cyber combo is awesome and will bring healing times down to mere hours when you take a Deadly Wound, but don't take 3 in a row or you'll be quite dead (8 boxes of physical without the benefit of healing before the next attack).

Sphynx

Minimum Time to heal a Light Wound is 2 hours.
Zazen
As I recall those first aid times are base times. In Docs example he rolled 6 successes, bringing those 5 combat turns down to less than 1. People with good healing modifiers should frequently be able to do this.
Shadow
Well the 19S Doc. was resisting was assuming I got only one sucsess. Since I think I would get 4 then really it is a 20D. But I get what Doc was doing and I think it is cool!
Rattler
Can't forget the damage compensator 1, so that your light wounds are immediately healed instead of being shifted to stun by the trauma dampener.
Ol' Scratch
Damage Compensators don't heal damage.

And I was assuming that since you made no mention about your troll being an adept or unusually gifted in melee, he'd be about on even footing with an opponent built for combat... so one success on average is about right (and actually generous unless one side has a major advantage over the other). Reach is easily negated, so that's not much help.
Zazen
Can't forget the damage compensator 1, so that your light wounds are immediately healed instead of being shifted to stun by the trauma dampener.

Shit, that's clever! smile.gif
Ol' Scratch
I think I'm missing something, then. At best, it's just going to negate the box for purposes of the target number and initiative penalty... but the box is still there.

EDIT: Oh, wait, I see what you're trying to do. Note that Nanosymbiotes and First Aid aren't restricted to Physical Damage (unless someone can point me to a page reference; I don't have the books handy at the moment). They both work on Stun Damage as well, so you'd actually be better to have it in Stun as Stun already heals much faster than Physical.
Zazen
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Dec 19 2003, 08:09 PM)
Damage Compensators don't heal damage.

Think about it a little more, it's bloody clever. Your character takes a light wound. Rather than being immediately shifted to stun where it'll sit for five minutes or more, the damage compensators keep it physical allowing it to be healed in, probably, less than 1 turn by the guardian angel.

ed- In fact, level 2 is even better. You take a moderate, reduced to 2 boxes by your platelet factories. Same exact situation as above.
Ol' Scratch
See the edit above.
Zazen
Page 129 SR3 "Biotech Skill only helps heal physical damage. Stun damage can only be recovered by taking the night off and sleeping in."

Nanosymbiotes shouldn't help either, since the base time to heal stun damage isn't based on damage level.
Ol' Scratch
Ah, groovy technique then. smile.gif

Since that's the case, though, I'd rather invest in another Nanite Hive (already have a Facilitator, might as well take advantage of it) with Oxy-Rush. Not only does it act as Pain Resistance 1, but it gives +2 to Athletics and lets you hold your breath practically indefinately.
Zazen
Aren't you allowed only two free-floating nanoware systems at a time?

ed- Just looked it up, and you can't have more than two free-floaters at a time. Fortunately (or unfortunately) oxy-rush is transient, not free-floating, which means it'll stack. However, that makes it unusable with a hive frown.gif You get to pay 10k for ten whole days of usage. Lame, IMO. That makes oxy-rush practically useless.
Rattler
Doesn't matter anyway. Pain resistance from Oxy-Rush, the adept power, and the pain tol. edge can all work in conjunction with trauma dampener, so the box of physical will still be converted to stun. Unless you only take one light wound during the entire combat, the damage compensator is still a more cost-effective investment, IMO. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
Oxy-rush is very useful. You just need to know when you'll be using it rather than installing and letting it sit there for a few months between runs.

~J
Zazen
In M&M it says that the pain resistance power does in fact cause the trauma dampener to be ineffective. Oxy-rush says it works just like the power.
Rattler
Where does it say that pain resistance negates a trauma dampener? From what I can see, the description under cultured bioware only mentions damage compensators.
Zazen
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Oxy-rush is very useful. You just need to know when you'll be using it rather than installing and letting it sit there for a few months between runs.

Yeah, that was a hasty judgement. I don't see spending 20 grand on 2 extra athletics dice and a box of pain tolerance, but the breath holding thing could be worth it in specialized instances.
Zazen
Rattler, page 79. Foolish you for looking at the trauma dampener for rules that pertain to it wink.gif
Rattler
dead.gif
Ol' Scratch
I've gotta stop discussing things when I don't have access to my books. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012