Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lifespan
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
raverbane
There are several races listed in Runners Companion that have no lifespan listed for them.

Under Sapient Critters it says "Each sapient species has a different lifespan, though this generally does not have any impact on the game."

Well, as a GM that likes to do consistent background and plotlines for my NPC's it does have an impact on the writings for my game.

What are the lifespans for these races? And why wasn't it put into the book? The word count for writing that statement could have easily been used to list the lifespans of those races and eliminated the question and debate. Some have said it is because the public doesn't know in game. If that is the case, then why have the lifespans of elves and dwarves been listed? Since, except for the immortal fourth age leftovers, none of them have been alive long enough to know thier lifespans.

And what is the lifespan of the drakes? Is it the base lifespan of the metahuman race they are? Or is it something else?
Skip
Use human as standard, orks live shorter, trolls even shorter, dwarves longer than humans, and elves even longer. As most of the metahumans born that way have yet to die of natural causes, I doubt there is any good information available. Do not play a drake, do not name him Ryan.

If you really want numbers, use a previous edition stats.
Not of this World
You got Orcs and Trolls confused, it has always been that Orks are the shortest lived (30-40 years on average) and Trolls live longer but not as long as humans (about 50 years).

Dwarf and Elf natural life spans are conjecture, suffice it to say that neither race has had anyone die of old age yet.
Oenone
Presumably they have, but only those who expressed early due to mana spikes etc.

And they'd have been treated as mutants/freaks/etc and thus wouldn't have had much data recorded about lifespan.
Skip
QUOTE (Not of this World @ Aug 22 2008, 04:40 PM) *
You got Orcs and Trolls confused, it has always been that Orks are the shortest lived (30-40 years on average) and Trolls live longer but not as long as humans (about 50 years).
Oops, you're right, trolls just get shafted more every other way. ork.gif
QUOTE (Oenone @ Aug 22 2008, 04:43 PM) *
Dwarf and Elf natural life spans are conjecture, suffice it to say that neither race has had anyone die of old age yet.
Presumably they have, but only those who expressed early due to mana spikes etc.

And they'd have been treated as mutants/freaks/etc and thus wouldn't have had much data recorded about lifespan.
Right, though there isn't actually anything that comes to mind in the literature that any of those have died of old age either. Unless they were already pretty old when they expressed (and survived what was not an easy process) I doubt they would have died yet.
CanRay
Orks and Trolls that "Goblinize" live a standard human lifespan. Those born as said live their new lifespan.
ElFenrir
Yeah...there's of course the Elven lifespan, but with Dwarves...they are pretty sure it goes into the 3 digits at the very least. But Dwarves might well have a lifespan into the several hundred range. I'm kinda waiting for more Dwarf info. They seem to be a bit left behind(Elves had plenty Orks and Trolls at least have their own language and a couple Trollish areas, but Dwarves? Not much except they live a bleedin' long time as well.)
CanRay
Yeah, it seems that people went out of their way to wipe out the "Dwarven Culture" and "Troll Culture" and missed the "Ork Culture" (Or, at least, one book).

We know how the Elves kept theirs together. nyahnyah.gif
Ancient History
QUOTE (raverbane @ Aug 22 2008, 09:24 PM) *
What are the lifespans for these races?

Depends heavily on medical care, nutrition, and other factors. Keeping in mind that this is an unofficial answer, if it's really getting your shorts in a twist then I suggest centaurs and sasquatch would have similar lifespan to orks, nagas similar to humans, and pixies somewhere between dwarfs and elves.

And why wasn't it put into the book?

A bunch of reasons, the biggest one being that the lifespans of those critters are not known in game, and out of game they don't really come into play unless you're running something along the lines of ork-generations. Suffice it to say that a sapient critter with sufficient access to modern medicine can live a reasonable period of time compared with other metahumans.

Okay, snarkiness off, there are other reasons. One is that the lifespan of a critter or player choice should not, generally, be the deciding factor in whether you play them. None of these sapient races are fruit flies with a natural span measured in hours, and they're no more or less likely after five or ten years of hard shadowrunning to shuffle off to the Shadowy Lane Retirement Home For Curmudgeonly Runners Who Can't Afford Leonization than anybody else. They're much more likely to catch a spell or bullet first. Shadowrun isn't exactly built for a replay of the Giovanni Chronicles, y'ken.

And what is the lifespan of the drakes? Is it the base lifespan of the metahuman race they are? Or is it something else?

There are several indications that drakes would have a much longer lifespan. Think reverse dog years.
CanRay
Yeah, let's count the old Shadowrunners that are with us.

One. FastJack.

Maybe if you consider Harlequin the Original Shadowrunner, two.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd, that's about it.
Dumori
There must be a few more less well known runners still alive....
CanRay
Most of the rest retired with a bullet for company.

And a very few chose another, less invasive route.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 22 2008, 05:58 PM) *
Most of the rest retired with a bullet for company.

And a very few chose another, less invasive route.

You forgot to mention Smiling Bandit & Slamm-O.

Also to the OP: With Leonization then even humans can live a couple of hundred years. Sure it's expensive, but then again you can't take that money with you.
CanRay
Smiling Bandit and Slamm-0 is of the "Old Guard", yes... But aren't OLD, if you catch my meaning.

No idea on the age of Smiling Bandit, but Slamm-0 is in his 20s, IIRC. He's a Second-Generation 'Runner.
jago668
Well the easy way would be just to use the old Earthdawn ages. Since it seemed to stay about the same in the other Shadowrun editions. Which would make Dwarves hit in the 100's, oldest recorded hitting 150's. Elves live into the 300's, with the oldest recorded being right around 400. Humans are fairly obvious, but I'll go ahead and list the Earthdawn age of 75, with oldest breaking 100. Orks hit the 40's for their age with a few making it up to their 60's. Trolls make it a bit longer with 50's as norm, and 70's as oldest. Winglings (pixies) mature in their 30's and live up into their 170's, nothing listed past that. (Also they don't show signs of aging from 30's to 170's.)

So you can figure on Shadowrun being about the same. Longer for people with better food, and medical care.

Digging around in my Earthdawn stuff. I found that the age for drakes is "centuries" and "far longer than the younger races". Nagas didn't have anything listed for age, though they were created by magicians out of people. So I'd probably go with a relatively normal lifespan, most likely human or dwarf.

I didnt' see anything about the others. So you'd have to make it up for them.
Bull
Actually, Slamm-O isn't "Old Guard". He first appeared in SR3, and his backstory (according to one of the books, Target Matrix, maybe) mentions that he's actually a 2nd or 3rd generation Shadowrunner.

Smiling Bandit's still around as well.

Pistons and Winterhawk are fairly "old" characters, but they first showed up in 3rd ed as well, I think, maybe towards the end of 2nd ed.

Talon is still around, and he goes back to Awakenings in 2nd ed.

Bull first appeared in 2nd ed, in Target UCAS. He's retired, but still around, just not being actively used. He'll probably poke his head up again if I ever do anymore freelancing, as the old Orks still got a bit left in him. Though this "Wireless" stuff has him feeling like a crotchety old man and more than a little left behind.

Of course, out of those, only Smiling Bandit isn't (as fas I know) someone's PC. Slamm-O was former FASA Art Director and artist Fred Hoopers decker. Pistons was Elissa Carey's rigger (I think), Winterhawk is Robyn King-Nitschke's character (Sammy, I think). Talon is STeve Kenson's mage, and of course Bull is my SR Avatar.

Hrmm, there's a couple other "long timers" still kicking about, but not many. Most have simply vanished, so they may have gone into hiding, may have actually retired, or may well be dead. Who knows? The Shadows are pretty rough.

CanRay
Slamm-0 is "Old Guard" compared to these new kids that only have had to deal with the Wireless stuff. nyahnyah.gif

He remembers the CyberDeck Days. wink.gif

Damn but I wish I could have been gaming back then...
NightmareX
QUOTE (Bull @ Aug 23 2008, 07:55 AM) *
Bull first appeared in 2nd ed, in Target UCAS. He's retired, but still around, just not being actively used. He'll probably poke his head up again if I ever do anymore freelancing, as the old Orks still got a bit left in him. Though this "Wireless" stuff has him feeling like a crotchety old man and more than a little left behind.

I thought I heard somewhere that the best ork decker became a wendigo?
Bull
Heh!

In the "home Game", he did, sort of, cause our GM was a bastard smile.gif But, thanks to a few favors for Damian Night, we managed to do a full body Clone for him (This was still 2nd ed, or early 3rd, before clones were really a viable thing in SR), and transferred his memories through the Matrix. smile.gif

Anyways, we're way off topic here. And I could tell stories about the evil shit my GM put Bull through all day, so... wink.gif
NightmareX
rotfl.gif Thanks bro - that's pretty cool.
CanRay
QUOTE (Bull @ Aug 23 2008, 08:27 AM) *
Anyways, we're way off topic here. And I could tell stories about the evil shit my GM put Bull through all day, so... wink.gif

So, start a thread that's on topic for that!

Back on topic, Shapeshifters apparently have the lifespan of your typical Ork, IIRC.
Bull
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 23 2008, 08:34 AM) *
So, start a thread that's on topic for that!

If the RN logs were still up, I'd just point you there. Tinner used to regularly troll the old Mailing List for ideas as well as to brag about what kinda crap he put me through that week. smile.gif

Back on topic, Shapeshifters apparently have the lifespan of your typical Ork, IIRC.

Or, if you wanna be really evil, use the animals normal lifespan. smile.gif
ElFenrir
QUOTE (Bull @ Aug 23 2008, 09:44 AM) *
If the RN logs were still up, I'd just point you there. Tinner used to regularly troll the old Mailing List for ideas as well as to brag about what kinda crap he put me through that week. smile.gif

I call Giant Tortoise Shapeshifter!
Bull
QUOTE (ElFenrir @ Aug 23 2008, 11:12 AM) *

God dammit. Now I have to actually read the fraggin Shifter rules and work up rules for this...

I hate you people. wink.gif
hermit
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 23 2008, 01:44 AM) *
Smiling Bandit and Slamm-0 is of the "Old Guard", yes... But aren't OLD, if you catch my meaning.

No idea on the age of Smiling Bandit, but Slamm-0 is in his 20s, IIRC. He's a Second-Generation 'Runner.

Smiling Bandit has been around since 1st Edition. It's safe to assume he's well in his 40s now. Also, Picador's been around since Fields of Fire, so it's safe to assume she's past her 30s as well.

Personally, I'd like to see some more old-timers pop up. But that might just be me ... wink.gif
NightmareX
Nope, it ain't just you biggrin.gif
hermit
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 23 2008, 01:44 AM) *

Smiling Bandit has been around since 1st Edition. It's safe to assume he's well in his 40s now. Also, Picador's been around since Fields of Fire, so it's safe to assume she's past her 30s as well.

Personally, I'd like to see some more old-timers pop up. But that might just be me ... wink.gif
CanRay
Or maybe some newcomers.

Maybe if I write about Winnipeg's and Sudbury's Shadows I can sneak my way into the JackPoint? nyahnyah.gif
HardSix
QUOTE (ElFenrir @ Aug 23 2008, 11:12 AM) *

Gamera is really neat,
he is full of turtle meat,
we are eating Gameraaaaaa! sorry
ElFenrir
QUOTE (HardSix @ Aug 23 2008, 11:54 AM) *
Gamera is really neat,
he is full of turtle meat,
we are eating Gameraaaaaa! sorry

rotfl.gif

Yeah, the guy with the two drones can sing his theme song. grinbig.gif
winterhawk11
QUOTE (Bull @ Aug 23 2008, 04:55 AM) *
Winterhawk is Robyn King-Nitschke's character (Sammy, I think).

Sammy? Bull, you wound me!

'Hawk is a professor of fraggin' thaumaturgy! He's one of the biggest mage snobs in the Sixth World!

sammy...

...wanders off muttering incoherently...
Fortune
QUOTE (Skip @ Aug 23 2008, 08:10 AM) *
Right, though there isn't actually anything that comes to mind in the literature that any of those have died of old age either. Unless they were already pretty old when they expressed (and survived what was not an easy process) I doubt they would have died yet.

Elves and Dwarves are born as Elves and Dwarves (respectively). Nobody ever 'expresses' or 'goblinizes' into either of those races. Not even via SURGE.
MJBurrage
This is what was known back in the Fourth World:
    Race   (Maturity | Lifespan)
  • Dwarf     (11+ | 100-150+)
  • Elf           (20s | 300-400)
  • Human   (teens | 75-100+)
  • Obsidiman (100 | 500+)
  • Ork         (13+ | 40-60+)
  • Troll       (13+ | 50-70+)
  • T'skrang   (10 | 80-115+)
  • Windling   (30+ | 170)
As for shapeshifters, I would use the Ork lifespan for simplicity, or average the normal animal's lifespan with a humans to get something more specific.
Bull
QUOTE (winterhawk11 @ Sep 19 2008, 01:48 PM) *
Sammy? Bull, you wound me!

'Hawk is a professor of fraggin' thaumaturgy! He's one of the biggest mage snobs in the Sixth World!

sammy...

...wanders off muttering incoherently...

Bah, sorry, I plead insanity. PLus, I was running on very little sleep when I posted that smile.gif

QUOTE (Fortune @ Sep 19 2008, 02:30 PM) *
Elves and Dwarves are born as Elves and Dwarves (respectively). Nobody ever 'expresses' or 'goblinizes' into either of those races. Not even via SURGE.

Except for that Dwarf from Shadowboxer, I think it was... wink.gif
Riley37
I'm playing a Pikachu Shapeshifter. How long do Pikachu live?

(ducks)
Cang
pikachu is forever cute.... well until he is eaten by a naga.
CanRay
People live until stupidity kills them.

Or so working Tech Support has taught me.
Fortune
QUOTE (Bull @ Sep 20 2008, 07:42 AM) *
Except for that Dwarf from Shadowboxer, I think it was...

That one don't count! nyahnyah.gif biggrin.gif
MaxMahem
I think SPD is still around, he's mentioned in the BBB at least. And since he used to be a member of Seattle's Finest, he's got to be real old by now. I think he first shows up in the first Seattle Sourcebook. Simmiarly, the Chromed Accountant dates back to 2ed (Coporate Download I think?), and he's still around.

Though its not clear if either of these chummers are actually runners.
Zhan Shi
IIRC, at the end of the Dragonheart trilogy, Harlequin tells Ryan that his lifespan will include most of the Sixth World, which would mean that (bred) drakes live for several thousand years.
Bull
QUOTE (Fortune @ Sep 19 2008, 07:46 PM) *
That one don't count! nyahnyah.gif biggrin.gif

Hey, I'm just saying... It's there. In a novel. You can't take it back. smile.gif

Bull
Ryu
QUOTE (Riley37 @ Sep 20 2008, 01:46 AM) *
I'm playing a Pikachu Shapeshifter. How long do Pikachu live?

(ducks)

Depends. Dodge Pool?
CanRay
QUOTE (MaxMahem @ Sep 19 2008, 08:53 PM) *
...the Chromed Accountant dates back to 2ed (Coporate Download I think?), and he's still around.

Though its not clear if either of these chummers are actually runners.

CA was. He used to work for the IRS, and got into the Shadows because it was safer. (Which tells you how Tax Men are viewed in the Sixth World!).

He made a fair sized fortune and got his own island. According to Ancient History, he had to clean out some "Squatters", and then retired there.

I give him a few more months before he flips out the Satelite Retransmitter and starts begging FastJack to be put onto the JackPoint. nyahnyah.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Bull @ Sep 20 2008, 06:44 PM) *
Hey, I'm just saying... It's there. In a novel. You can't take it back.

Actually, wasn't it Shadowboxer that was declared non-canon by FASA way back in the day? I know that one of the novels received that distinction (and only one, for better or worse), but I always mix up which one it was.
Wesley Street
QUOTE (MaxMahem @ Sep 19 2008, 08:53 PM) *
I think SPD is still around, he's mentioned in the BBB at least. And since he used to be a member of Seattle's Finest, he's got to be real old by now.

Wasn't he a rookie during the Nights of Rage? He'd be pushing into his mid-70s or early-80s.
Cabral
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Aug 22 2008, 06:33 PM) *
You forgot to mention Smiling Bandit & Slamm-O.

Maybe I've been way off base for a long time, but I thought Smiling Bandit was Harlequin's Matrix Persona (a la Orange Queen, Wordsmyth et al)
Shalimar
QUOTE (Cabral @ Sep 22 2008, 11:32 PM) *
Maybe I've been way off base for a long time, but I thought Smiling Bandit was Harlequin's Matrix Persona (a la Orange Queen, Wordsmyth et al)

Wasn't his persona Laughing Man?
Wesley Street
Yes. I believe Smiling Bandit was a different Matrix persona.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Bull @ Aug 23 2008, 02:44 PM) *

Well, you CAN add in Metatype attributes - but im not sure if they are only for show or if they add more than jut the attribute bonus...

What's dog years on an elf???
Cabral
QUOTE (Shalimar @ Sep 22 2008, 10:47 PM) *
Wasn't his persona Laughing Man?

Thanks! ... Hmm. Has Laughing Man been "posting" in SR4?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012