Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun pop fiction
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
JongWK
Frag the Wachowskis, they go for pure FX and no substance. Proyas, however... (fondly remembers Dark City)

Ridley Scott would be one of my top picks. He's directed Blade Runner, Alien and Black Hawk Down: style, story and hardcore violence (plus, he also knows how to handle a bug problem biggrin.gif).

I wonder how would a Tarantino-directed SR movie turn out to be?

Troll: "I don't want to be Mr.Pink." grinbig.gif
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (JongWK @ Dec 26 2003, 12:07 PM)
I wonder how would a Tarantino-directed SR movie turn out to be?

Troll: "I don't want to be Mr.Pink." grinbig.gif

Mafia guy chatting with another mafia guy: "You know what they call a McHughes burger in Seattle?"

OR

Mafia guys friend chatting with mafia guy: "Do I have a dead mage storage sign on my front yard?"
JongWK
Speaking of cool, SR-like movies: Luc Besson will be directing a sequel for The Professional! (a.k.a. Leon). *Joy*
Drain Brain
May I just say, "Anything, so long as I'm involved! God dammit, I want a part in the Movie/Series/whatever!!!!!"

I'm an equity member... honest!
tisoz
Best bet for a television series would probably be cable. HBO does original programming, both as series and movies, and could repeat episodes at different times of day to offset budget.

My preference would be for a comic book for starters, because that would give both wider appeal and potential movie options if it was well liked, but if it ended up sucking, it would mostly be bought up by SR fanboys and maybe a small handful of outsiders who couldn't do much of anything bad to the game's reputation.

I'd also do my best to keep anyone involved with SR writing or its major fanbase far, far away from the project.

Why?  Because just a quick skimming of the setting and timeline gives more than enough meat to base a plot off of, without needing to expound on the culture of changeling otaku cyberzombies or anything like that.  Most average people are somewhat familiar with cyberpunk, quite familiar with fantasy, and familiar with crime/heist movies, so focus on these traits, and try to save the metaplot and big-name cameos for later.  Shadowrun fanboys will already eat this up, so it's best to not confuse/alienate the ignorant.

So I could see the first comic being quite easy for anyone with a decent amount of talent to do.  Start with a basic character, a decker, magician, or a sam.  (Riggers, physads, and wierder types being a little too esoteric for your average non-fan.)  Have him do a short monologue, giving the basics of the world of SR, and then get called in on a relatively basic run.  Main character meets up with the other two basic archetypes, gets the job, pulls it off *almost* perfectly until Johnson's double-cross screws them up, spend the rest of the issue with the team plotting and carrying out revenge.

This same approach should be used for a movie. The viewer doesn't need to know much of any background, they can experience it as it happens on the screen. Show the magic, the grungy feeling of hopelessness, etc.. How much history is the viewer given as backstory about how the world of Bladerunner or The Fifth Element came to be? Establish the world with a moving, sweeping camera showing the world, maybe a few trid sets giving the latest news about the AAA's, tribal unrest, and an update about Dunkie's demise or Ghostwalker's takeover. If nothing else, the main character could do a 1 minute voice over as they go about their business.

I, too, think the first step should be a comic book. However, I would rather it had 2-4 stories depicting different groups. They could vary from the guys just trying to survive in the 6th world to standard runners to prime runners. I've seen how tastes vary among players, so hopefully it would have a broader appeal. If you split it among several artists and writers, it would have a better chance of making deadline and again ditto tastes for art.

A standard 32 page book with front/back cover, credits/editorial page could contain 4 stories of 6 pages and 5 pages for ads or game supplements. Things like new equipment, NPC's, spells, MAPS, etc.. Or fan feedback, fan NPC's, maps, FAQ, etc..

I would like to know what kind of licensing agreement/cost this entails, as I would like to start such an endeavor. Adam, can you tell me where and to whom to direct such inquiries?
Fortune
Not Adam but...

Probably your best bet for initial inquiries into this matter would be to contact Rob Boyle at info@shadowrunrpg.com. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012