Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are you a runner?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Karaden
So, point of this thread is fairly simple. Two character sheets. One is you yourself. No BP to worry about, and I wouldn't be too concerned with any kind of starting resources. I'm just curious how people seem themselves. I would like to point out that no one here is remotely likely to have a 5 or 6 in any skill, and even 4 is going to be generally unlikely (Well, actually I could imagine some language skills at those levels, but aside from that..)

Anyway, I'm sure we'd find that most of us wouldn't last long in the world of shadowrun as we are, so then comes the fun part. Make yourself as a 400 BP runner. This isn't an ideal runner, or a particular archetype. Imagine what you would have if you had grown up in the world of SR as opposed to our boring world. Feel free to make yourself a mage if you think that would suit you. I'm guessing we'd have alot of hackers out here in cyberspace, but will be interesting to see both characters. I'll post my own later today when I have access to my books. Oh, all normal creation rules apply, feel free to use whatever books. No, you can't be an AI/free spirit/sentient critter. You can be a metarace if you really think it would suit you. One place the rules don't apply is the qualities limits. You can have as many good/bad ones as you want so long as they suit you.

So, have fun imagining not just a cool character, but yourself if you had grown up to be that sort of person. (Munchkins will be eaten)
Mickle5125
Reserved for SR Mickle
pbangarth
Years ago my teenage daughter wanted to play herself in the future. I wish I hadn't been afraid that her future self dying might have traumatized her, and said no. She's one of the most resilient people I know. And she doesn't play anymore.

Several characters I have created have elements of me in them, particularly Arjuna, the physical adept archaeologist. Wonder how much of him might be in SR Peter?

This sounds like fun. Count me:

Reserved for SR Peter
Tarantula
Why not, it'd be fun to stat out.
DocTaotsu
Nope, it's not fun anymore. Let's see if that changes in the next few days of posting.
Cain
To be completely honest, I think 400 BP would be too much for me.
Chrysalis
I'll see if I can create a character of myself

Reserved for Chrysalis
Fortune
QUOTE (Karaden @ Oct 24 2008, 04:29 AM) *
I would like to point out that no one here is remotely likely to have a 5 or 6 in any skill, and even 4 is going to be generally unlikely ...

I think this statement is a huge (and quite erroneous) assumption on your part, as you know next to nothing about most of us in real life.
DocTaotsu
I'd have to agree... I get the impression that a goodly number of the people on this board are college educated professionals with at least a couple of years in their respective fields. That'll rate them 4's in most cases. I'd also say that the bulk of us have 4+ in Knowledge Skill (RPGs), if only by specialization ;p

I too chaff under the implication that my status as an internet person means I don't know shit about jack because everyone lies on the intertubes. That might be true but who gives a fuck? Some guy wants to claim that they have an 8 in the firearms skill group fine, it doesn't really hurt me. I was under the impression that this was supposed to be a fun little activity not an interview for a job on "Intertubes Biggest Hardasses".
Tarantula
Gotta say I agree with Fortune and the Doc. Implying that we can't possibly be above a 4 in something smacks of arrogance. Regardless, I think it'd be good to have a blanket agreement by all posters in here not to judge/critique other people on their rating of themselves. Keep it nice and friendly like yeah?
DocTaotsu
Absolutely, gaming is FUN gorramit! FUN! THIS WILL BE FUN YOU WILL ENJOY YOURSELVES OR ELSE!

Karaden
And see, that is exactly why I pointed out that few people would have a 5 or 6 skill. People with a 6 in a skill are world classed. We're talking Olympians and people in Mensa think tanks for a 6 skill.

Rating 6 Elite
Th e “best of the rest.� Maximum skill level for “rank-and-fi le� unnamed NPCs and starting characters.
Athletics Example: Athletic superstar: Peyton Manning, Roger Clemens, Shaquille O’Neal, David Beckham
Firearms Example: Individual superstars amongst elite forces. Ghost-Who-Walks-Inside, Hatchetman, Matador
Technical Example: Wiz-kid. Has more than one patent to their name. Th e Wright Brothers.
Social Example: Presidents and other heads of state, CEOs
Vehicle Example: Blue Angel stunt pilot.
Knowledge Skill Example (Academic): Doctorate degree
Knowledge Skill Example (Street): SPD, Smiley, Findler-Man, and other old-school Seattle runners

I'm not saying there aren't plenty of people who are really good at what they do, but I doubt we have anyone here with a patent in their name, who has competed in the olympics, is the president, or is the shining star of an elite special forces group.

Rating 5 Expert
Star status: your expertise gives you a reputation.
Athletics Example: Athletic star: most major pro sports athletes (NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA, etc)
Firearms Example: SWAT team, elite military (Rangers, Special Forces)
Technical Example: Top scientist. Published in peer-review journals.
Social Example: Incumbent politician, Grand Tour regular, corporate vice president.
Vehicle Example: Ancients go-ganger. Military combat pilot with combat experience.
Knowledge Skill Example (Academic): Master’s degree
Knowledge Skill Example (Street): Ran the Seattle shadows for 5+ years.

I similarly doubt we have any pro athletes, special forces people, published scientists, or stunt drivers out there. Now, I mean maybe we do, but I don't think it is arrogance to think that we likely don't, and I don't think it is arrogance to remind people that while 4 is very common for a standard SR character, and they all seem to have at least one skill at 6, us regular people don't tend to have that much training in anything. Even if something is your job your only likely to have a 3-4 in it. But you are quite right, knowledge skills are likely to be an exception here (And I ment to include them with language) I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we had at least one person with a master's or doctorate on the boards here.

As I said, just wanted to remind people what skills of that level -actually- mean.

Like I said, I'd love to see you as you are today sitting at your computer, as well as you as you think you might/could be if you where in the SR world (And had to be a runner for some reason). The second part is largely an exercise in what you love most about SR. Someone who loves magic would likely make themselves a mage, while someone who loves the drones figures they would have learned about them, and so on.
DocTaotsu
Well I'll admit I might have jumped your shit unnecessarily but there's been a couple times now where the whole "I totally know you don't know anything about X" has cropped up and it's getting annoying. Reminding people to refer to the example chart is perfectly reasonable, I just misinterpreted what you said.
Rasumichin
I think Master's degrees aren't that uncommon here, so 5s in Academic Knowledge would appear quite frequently, given that most users here seem to be around 30 and older and have an academic background.
Fortune
QUOTE (Karaden @ Oct 24 2008, 08:03 AM) *
I'm not saying there aren't plenty of people who are really good at what they do, but I doubt we have anyone here with a patent in their name, who has competed in the olympics, is the president, or is the shining star of an elite special forces group.

And you'd be wrong. I personally know people on here that fall into the '6' category as described.

I similarly doubt we have any pro athletes, special forces people, published scientists, or stunt drivers out there.

Again, you'd be wrong.

You know pretty much fuck all about the rest of us. I do think it is arrogance to automatically assume mediocrity among people you don't know.
Karaden
QUOTE (Fortune @ Oct 23 2008, 05:33 PM) *
And you'd be wrong. I personally know people on here that fall into the '6' category as described.

Again, you'd be wrong.

You know pretty much fuck all about the rest of us. I do think it is arrogance to automatically assume mediocrity among people you don't know.

I don't assume mediocrity. Mostly I wanted to point out to people just what a five and six mean, because many people have a tendency to go 'well, I'm fairly good at something, give myself a 5'. I am basing this on past experince.

But your right, I suppose I am making an assumption that we don't have any NFL quarterbacks or anything, but it is ridiculous to claim I am assuming 'mediocrity' by taking a guess that it is unlikely that we have anyone of roughly national fame, and international skill (Which would describe a person with a skill of 6) on the boards here. Dumpshock has how many members? A few thousand? Of the how many billion in the world? I don't think it is wild to believe that a subsection of roughly .0000002% of the world's population is likely to include anyone that falls in the category of a six skill. So given that we're looking at a percentage of .0000002 and talking about people that maybe fall in roughly the .0002% range of people that are alive, I'm looking more at probability then assuming everyone here is 'mediocre'

If we have President Bush or Miyamoto or Bill Gates or someone similar here, great, but it just seems slightly on the unlikely side. Anyway, sorry your feelings are hurt because I think it unlikely that we have anyone like that sitting around posting on the dumpshock forums. Anyway, this conversation is entierly beside the point of my post, so I'd appreciate you leave it at this so people don't have to trawl through this argument to get to what the thread is about.
Coldhand Jake
Jake already -IS- me in SR. As for me as I am, since adiposis is a changeling trait, instead of just "I'm a 360+lb fat guy", several factors are difficult to quantify on a sheet... which brings up a good point...what if you were born a troll? Or became a technomancer or physical adept? That alone could entirely change your life into unrecognizable strangeness.
Tarantula
QUOTE (Karaden @ Oct 23 2008, 02:48 PM) *
If we have President Bush

You brought that into this. I would in no way say that bush has a rating 6 social skill of any kind. Now, I'm sure people will agree or disagree with me, point is, just because you are a president, ceo, pro athlete, or otherwise, does not mean you have the skill that those areas typically represent.

Likewise, just because you are not one of the above does not mean you don't have the skill necessary.
Karaden
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Oct 23 2008, 06:12 PM) *
You brought that into this. I would in no way say that bush has a rating 6 social skill of any kind. Now, I'm sure people will agree or disagree with me, point is, just because you are a president, ceo, pro athlete, or otherwise, does not mean you have the skill that those areas typically represent.

Likewise, just because you are not one of the above does not mean you don't have the skill necessary.

Yeah, considered taking Bush off the list after I thought about it for a few seconds, but I figured heck, with as many people as disapprove of him, he hasn't managed to get himself impeached, and he did manage to get reelected in 04.

Still, my whole point of mentioning the 5-6 thing was to remind people that despite every single SR character having them, they aren't real common.

Edit: Good point about the troll/Awakened thing. This is why I said take a meta-race/Awakened if you want, or not if you don't. I know you don't really get that kind of a choose, but I figure if you didn't want to be a mage, and you awakened, you simply wouldn't do much with it... as for the troll thing... well that's a little more complex. Maybe pick yourself as a troll and try to think how that would have affected your life as you would take it.

The main difference between the second character for this and any other is your not going 'What Would Joe Do' your going 'What Would I Do'
pbangarth
So, without getting labeled, how is a guy supposed to rate himself, when:

- he is a hair's breadth away from a doctorate (if he would spend as much time writing the damn dissertation as he does on this forum he'd be done),

- he has years of training in two different martial arts,

- he was a weapons range instructor in the military,

- he talked his way out of a midnight meeting with bored Peruvian teenage police with AK-47s who thought he was a Shining Path terrorist,

- and he holds his own very well thank you very much with his wife who HAS a doctorate and IS a Mensa member?

Conservatively and tending towards the middle, I presume.

Peter
Fortune
QUOTE (Karaden @ Oct 24 2008, 08:48 AM) *
... but it is ridiculous to claim I am assuming 'mediocrity' by taking a guess that it is unlikely that we have anyone of roughly national fame, and international skill (Which would describe a person with a skill of 6) on the boards here.

Is it? This is your claim ...

I would like to point out that no one here is remotely likely to have a 5 or 6 in any skill, and even 4 is going to be generally unlikely ...

You are not only discounting the possibility that anyone of us has a '6' but also dismiss any chance of one of us having a '5', and even cast doubts as to any person here actually having a '4' in anything but language skills. To me, that is definitely assuming mediocrity.
Rayzorblades
Well I'm not into the whole argument that seems to be popping up so I'll just try me. I may need some assistance with it though since I'm lazy and have no books handy so I used the character sheet here: http://www.imasy.or.jp/~miyamoto/rpg/javas...nHelperV10.html

Bren

Race: Human

Agility 2 (I'm a big guy and not nearly as flexible as I'd like to be)
Close Combat 2: (Martial arts for a few years)
Unarmed Combat 3 (Barfights for a few years as a grown up)
Firearms 3: (Range practice 2-3 times a week since I was 6 years old)
Longarms 4
Pistols 4
Archery 4 (Archery practice 3+ times a week since I was 6 years old)
Exotic Melee Weapon: Katana 3 (see above re: martial arts)
Locksmith: 2 (I used to practice opening locks for fun all the time, then started breaking into places around my school and stuff just to see if I could)
Throwing Weapons: 2 (I practiced for years with my shuriken, and I've won local knife and tomahawk throwing competitions at our fish and game club)

Body 4-5 (I'm tough as nails and solid as a rock)
Diving 2 (Every summer)
Reaction 4 (I kick major ass on all those reflex speed tests and occasionally do time distortion/lentation self hypnosis and meditation, it's trippy.)
Dodge 3 (martial arts training)
Strength 3 (i'm in good shape, not as strong as I used to be but still okay)
Athletics 3
Climbing 2 (rock climbing every summer)
Running 2 (once or twice a week)
Swimming 2 (once or twice a week)
Charisma 4 (Well I've slept with a lot of women...)
Influence 3
Leadership 3 (I ran a restaurant for a few years)
Negotiation 3
Instruction 3 (And was mostly in charge of training)
Intimidation 2 (I prevented a few barfights by talking scary, my fiance laughs at me and says I talk like I'm in a western.)
Intuition 4
Outdoors 5 (My dad's a gun/wilderness nut, it's how I was raised)
Navigation 5
Survival 5
Tracking 2
Stealth 1
Palming 3 (I'm something of an amateur magician)
English Language 4-5 (I'm fluent in english but I'm not a Ph D)
Japanese Language 2 (Took some japanese college classes and watched tons of anime)
French Language 2 (was in french immersion for awhile)
Logic 3-4 (Top of my classes despite never doing any homework, or attending often)
Biotech 2-3 (Bio in college)
First Aid 5 (I have all my first aid tickets and passed to become a paramedic)
Medicine 3
Electronics 3 (I occasionally tinker and build gadgets and little robots, built my first one when I was eight from scratch)
Computer 3 (I don't spend as much time on here as I used to)
Hardware 3 (Built my own network out of computers I put together myself)
Software 2 (Done some programming)
Mechanic 2 (Dad's a mechanic and made me learn)
Automotive 3
Demolitions 2 (I was a rebellious teen with an education in chemistry and access to the net)
Willpower 5 (Crawled a block to the hospital after being nearly beaten to death by a gang of 8 at 1 in the morning)
Edge 2

Qualities:
Ambidextrous (This I've been practicing since I was about 5 when I found out what ambidexterity was and that my dad's ambidextrous)
Animal Empathy (We raised dogs growing up and cats love me)
First Impression
Guts
High Pain Tolerance level 2 (I think between my willpower and maybe the meditations I do, it makes me pretty tough)
Natural Immunity level 1 (Chicken pox, hepatitis b, tetanus)
Quick Healer (A day or two rest will pretty much fix me up from anything)
Resistant to Pathogens (I haven't been sick since I was 8 years old)
Resistant to toxins (It takes me forever to get drunk)
Toughness (Despite all the crap I've been through over the years, the falls, the fights and so on, I've never broken a single bone.)
Will to live level 3 (See above re: crawling to hospital)
Gremlins level 1 (Sometimes tech just doesn't work or completely fucks me over, which sucks when you're a tinkerer, also streetlights often go out when I walk past)
Incompetent Level 1 (Impaired sense of direction in urban areas, especially at night)

Contacts:
Massage Therapist (My fiance)
Mechanic (My Dad)
Electrician (My Mom)
Aeronautic Engineer (My Uncle)
Accountant (My sister)
Artist (Other sister)

All loyalty 6 rating 6

Gear
3000 Money per month or so
Home computer network
Ford F-150 Pickup Truck
Gravel Truck/Plow
Mongoose Bicycle
Katana
3 Short Swords
Rifle
2 Pistols

Thoughts on this? I think I may be a little over powered, but all of it sounds about right to me and I can justify it.
Cain
The only thing I'd call foul on is having your massage therapist fiancee as a Connection 6 contact. Same goes for the rest of them. Drop their connection ratings substantially, and I'd find it much easier to swallow.
Karaden
Well, given my previous numbers of the dumpshock community representing roughly .0000002% of the worlds population, I still stand by what I said about probability. I hardly consider a 'professional' skill rating to be mediocre, of course given that I'm only 21, I could well be misjudging that sort of thing. Sure, alot of people are professionals, but that doesn't mean they have that level of skill.

So yeah, perhaps I said what I said too harshly, but I don't think betting on general odds of someone who has a skill level 6 being in any particular group would be unlikely. Heck, if you gave me a group of 1,000,000 people I'd still say it is unlikely that any more then about a dozen of them would have a skill of 6. So, scale that down to.. what is the active dumpshock population? 1k? How many people will respond to this thread? 20ish?

Given that I think the biggest problem is that we view a skill rating of 6 differently. I envision it as something that maybe .1% of people have. So, given the world population of 6.7 billion, that's 6.7 million. Actually a decent number, but that is still 1 in every thousand at best, and if dumpshock community is 1,000 then I would guess based purely on statistics that maybe 1 person has a 6 skill. So yeah, maybe I'm wrong, maybe dumpshock has an unusually high concentration of amazingly skilled people, but I still stand by my claim that it is unlikely that any given person replying to this thread, based purely on probability, is unlikely to have a 6 skill.

So yeah, I'm not assuming anything about the people here, I was simply pointing out a statistical likelyhood. Sorry your ego is apparently crushed by me not assuming that you and everyone here has a myriad of rank 6 skills.

Lets see. If your about to get the doctorate, I'd say give yourself the appropriate skill for already having it. As I said, knowledge skills are going to be much more likely to have high ranks in them then skills like firearms thanks to high education and and low people shooting each other on the streets (Please don't argue with this point, I know there are exceptions).

For the martial arts, I'd think that would be a 4-5. I've personally done what sounds like a similar level of martial arts and would likely give myself a 3-4, but I've also got combat paralysis, so harder to judge thanks to that.

For the firearms that sounds like a 4

Well damn, sounds like a fun night with the police, really unsure how to judge something like that. However, unless it is the sort of thing you do often, I think it might have been a 'lucky roll' or 'use of edge' as it where, though I'm sure it wasn't an unskilled test reguardless.

Smart wife, sounds like a high logic thing (on your part), combined with the difference between actually holding your doctorate and being very close to it being rather small.
Rayzorblades
QUOTE (Cain @ Oct 23 2008, 04:44 PM) *
The only thing I'd call foul on is having your massage therapist fiancee as a Connection 6 contact. Same goes for the rest of them. Drop their connection ratings substantially, and I'd find it much easier to swallow.

Can I ask why? They're my immediate family mostly and we're really tight. Norman Rockwell childhood and all that.
Lionhearted
There is one major flaw in your argument Karaden.. Social circles, If you hang around a mechanic shop you are more likely to encounter skilled mechanics and people with a interest in vehicles. while the same hold true if you visit a heavy metal bar, you are far more likely to encounter people with an interest for heavy metal and possibly skilled musicians than say.. if you went to the local golf course. Highly skilled people is not scattered around randomly like the throw of a die (however many roleplayers I know would argue that the throw of a die is by no means random.. die superstition ^^) but are rather attracted to different social circles, from my personal experience you are more likely to find the Average Joe engaged in sports rather than playing roleplaying games.. but yet again, that's my personal experience
Karaden
QUOTE (Rayzorblades @ Oct 23 2008, 08:03 PM) *
Can I ask why? They're my immediate family mostly and we're really tight. Norman Rockwell childhood and all that.

I'd agree on the likelihood of all your family having rating 6 connections. I'd be more then willing to believe a high loyalty rating, but I don't think every member of your family has easy access to black market goods (Or something equivalent in a more legal realm)
Rayzorblades
QUOTE (Karaden @ Oct 23 2008, 05:07 PM) *
I'd agree on the likelihood of all your family having rating 6 connections. I'd be more then willing to believe a high loyalty rating, but I don't think every member of your family has easy access to black market goods (Or something equivalent in a more legal realm)

My fiance and my accountant sister are pretty innocent and squeaky clean, but my folks know a LOT of shady people from way back and my artist sister associates with a lot of shady people in her business (we live in a pretty much gang/drug run town so you can throw a stone and find crime/illegal stuff), plus my uncle is loaded so there's not much out of his reach if he really sets his mind to getting it.
Cain
QUOTE (Rayzorblades @ Oct 23 2008, 04:03 PM) *

What Karaden said. While I can perfectly accept that your fiancee is at a 6 loyalty, I'm having trouble imagining a massage therapist as having international influence.
pbangarth
He's not talking about their Loyalty, but their Connection rating. At 6, they would have world-wide connections, like a political leader or corp magnate.

Peter

[EDIT] Wow, did a lot of people jump on this in the few minutes I went to the bathroom! Moral: don't leave your computer in the middle of a reply.
Karaden
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Oct 23 2008, 08:06 PM) *
There is one major flaw in your argument Karaden.. Social circles, If you hang around a mechanic shop you are more likely to encounter skilled mechanics and people with a interest in vehicles. while the same hold true if you visit a heavy metal bar, you are far more likely to encounter people with an interest for heavy metal and possibly skilled musicians than say.. if you went to the local golf course. Highly skilled people is not scattered around randomly like the throw of a die (however many roleplayers I know would argue that the throw of a die is by no means random.. die superstition ^^) but are rather attracted to different social circles, from my personal experience you are more likely to find the Average Joe engaged in sports rather than playing roleplaying games.. but yet again, that's my personal experience

I agree, which is why I'll readily believe that dumpshock has a higher concentration of people that have some high level skills. However, I'd imagine that these will be more likely to be knowledge skills then athletic ones. I mean lets face it, a good portion of roleplayers tend to be less then in great physical shape (I myself being among them). But take your mechanic shop example. Even those everyone that hangs out there is going to have some points in mechanic, it still isn't very likely that any of them actually have managed a rating of 6 in the mechanic skill.

The problem is your talking about the likelihood of running into someone with a particular skill that is high. I on the other hand am talking about the likelihood of any skill being high. I don't think a roleplayer is inately any more likely to have a skill at 6 then someone who plays alot of sports. Well, maybe slightly, but the one playing sports is more likely to have high skills in athletics, interest: football, and such, while roleplayers are generally more likely to have a high skill in computer use or interest: RPGs. Roleplayer is also more likely to have a high stat in something like logic, which would make skills like computer use seem higher then they really are. For example, I'm a good programmer, but that is because I'm fairly smart and happen to think in the way a programmer needs to, but I have little actual training/practice. So I am good at programing by virtue of a low skill and high logic.

Similarly I have lots of training in Martial arts, yet I precieve myself as having a low skill. This could very well be because I have a low agility (It comes and goes) and other factors like combat paralysis. A person with natural talent is very different in the skills department then someone who had to learn alot. So yeah, determining skill can be difficult because there is more then just the skill at work when your attempting to do something.

Oh, and that brings up a thought. As for the convincing police to leave you alone, maybe you have a low skill and high charisma (If debate and convincing people of stuff isn't something you don't on a regular basis)?
DocTaotsu
Wow! Let's get out the "sweeping generalization" gun because here they come fast and furious! Gamers are mostly overweight people with little physical skills or talents. We have lots of knowledge skills though, because boy are we nerdy! And women are generally weaklings who are bad at math! And Asian have high SAT scores!

It doesn't matter what numbers you can stuff behind those comments, the concerned groups are going to still call you a huge asshole because... you're being a huge asshole. So drop it sokay? Maybe we can get more than one person to post their "stats" as a result.

But let me reiterate my keypoint:
Who cares if people misrepresent themselves on the Dumpshock Forums?
Are we suddenly striving for absolute truth in all our posts? Are you going to drive up to cow tit nowhere and verify their claims that they can bench press a furious Irishman while pleasuring members of all genders with the power of their massive and pulsating intellect?

No goddamnit we're not! This could have been thread we had fun with but it's quickly resolving into some sort of mutant hybrid between a RAW rules debate and round about personal attacks.
Beetle
QUOTE (Karaden @ Oct 23 2008, 08:07 PM) *

While I wouldn't say everyone in all of our families have high connection ratings, it wouldn't be unheard of for us to have a few high connection ratings scattered throughout. For instance my step-dad is the VP of Technology Development for a major electronics company. I think it'd be more than fair to rate him as a connection six as he has high level corporate contacts throughout the world and access to gear that won't hit the market for several months to years. I've got a couple of rich uncles, though their ratings for loyalty and connection vary greatly between the two.

You just don't know us well enough to make catch all statements like everyone in our family can't have high rating connections. Everything we put down could in fact be quite legit.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Cain @ Oct 24 2008, 02:16 AM) *
While I can perfectly accept that your fiancee is at a 6 loyalty, I'm having trouble imagining a massage therapist as having international influence.

That depends on her customers, don't you think? wink.gif
Beetle
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Oct 23 2008, 08:33 PM) *
That depends on her customers, don't you think? wink.gif

I dunno, do they have her on retainer to fly internationally at the drop of the hat? I'd say that might qualify as a rating six connection for a massage therapist.

Rayzorblades
Shit my bad, I got major wires crossed and went with Skill Ratings instead of connection ratings. sleepy.gif

Anyway, it'd actually look more like this for connection ratings:

Massage Therapist (My fiance) 1 (Extra's in big-time movies are her most famous friends)
Mechanic (My Dad) 4 (Lots of friends from way back, rich both legally and non)
Electrician (My Mom) 3 (Same as dad only less)
Aeronautic Engineer (My Uncle) 5 (He's rich and powerful, those people congregate)
Accountant (My sister) 3 (She's an exec at an airplane company now, but she started as an accountant)
Artist (Other sister) 2 (She's in with the whole industrial raver crowd despite being clean herself)

EDIT: The fiance works in a physiotherapy clinic, making 85 bucks an hour. She always gets mad when I make jokes about her being a "masseuse".
DocTaotsu
Ah well that makes sense smile.gif I think her connection might rate at least a 2, she could probably ask around and get you into a movie or two couldn't she? That's better than "Jim the Convience Store Clerk" connection rating.

@Everyone Else: I don't have my books on me, does RC have rules for Social Circles? Buying a group as a contact instead of an individual? I seem to remember hearing about that but it can't recall if it was homebrew or not.
Fortune
QUOTE (Karaden @ Oct 24 2008, 10:53 AM) *
So yeah, I'm not assuming anything about the people here, I was simply pointing out a statistical likelyhood. Sorry your ego is apparently crushed by me not assuming that you and everyone here has a myriad of rank 6 skills.

I find it interesting that you feel the need to get personal.

Also note, as I said earlier, that your assumptions were not just limited to 'rank 6' (the best of the rest ... not even the best of the best!), but you also included ranks 5 and 4 in your statement.
Karaden
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Oct 23 2008, 08:31 PM) *
Wow! Let's get out the "sweeping generalization" gun because here they come fast and furious! Gamers are mostly overweight people with little physical skills or talents. We have lots of knowledge skills thought because boy are we nerdy! And women are generally weaklings who are bad at math! And Asian have high SAT scores!

It doesn't matter what numbers you can stuff behind those comments, the concerned groups are going to still call you a huge asshole because... you're being a huge asshole. So drop it sokay? Maybe we can get more than one person to post their "stats" as a result.

But let me reiterate my keypoint:
Who cares if people misrepresent themselves on the Dumpshock Forums?
Are we suddenly striving for absolute truth in all our posts? Are going to drive up to cow tit nowhere and verify their claims that they can bench press a furious Irish man well pleasuring members of all genders with the power of their massive and pulsating intellect?

Yes, I am generalizing. I said that on average a gamer tends to be more intellectual and less physical. I really don't care about being politically correct. I never said gamers can't be physically fit or that non gamers are stupid. Yes, the average woman is in general weaker then the average man. There are plenty of exceptions, but if you say 'who would win in an arm wrestling contest, a guy or a girl' and you gave me no other information, I'd guess the guy because of averages. And actually, if you asked who would be better in a math contest, guy or girl. Well it'd be a hard choice, but I'd likely go for the girl. More of them are good at it then alot of people think, and guys don't tend to be particularly exceptional at it that I've seen.

As for Asians having high SATs? I don't know enough to say. Notice how I'm basing a guess on past knowledge. Also notice that I'm saying Joe Average Statistic, I'm not saying anything about individual person. When all I have is nothing, how exactly do you expect me to say anything about individual person? Instead I have to make a guess based on past knowledge. People tend to think high skills are common thanks to all SR characters having high skills, so I put out the reminder that they are in fact rare. I said it is unlikely that a person from a small section of the population is likely to have a 6 in any skill. It is a statement of fact, not some sort of attempted shot at anyone's abilities.

If you really think you have a skill of 6, go ahead and give it to yourself, you know you alot better then I do. I'd likely ask why, but that is curiosity, wanting to learn more about people (Yes, I made a general statement about people in order that I could learn more about the individual), I'd also be curious as to if your thinking of what a rating 6 skill is is the same as what I think a rating 6 skill. I just wanted to speak my peace about the rarity of the skill before it is posted, as people might underestimate what a skill of 6 represents, or perhaps I overestimate it and now others know that.

Honestly I'm tired of arguing about this. If you don't like me because I said that a population of this size is unlikely to have people of world class skill, don't post. But please stop arguing with me about every little word I say, I'm done responding about it.
DocTaotsu
That certainly seems both reasonable and prudent.
Sgt_Pedro
I just want to know what skill Fortune thinks he has a 6 in =P
Cain
QUOTE (Sgt_Pedro @ Oct 23 2008, 06:06 PM) *
I just want to know what skill Fortune thinks he has a 6 in =P

Debating, with a specialization in Internet Forums. wink.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Sgt_Pedro @ Oct 24 2008, 12:06 PM) *
I just want to know what skill Fortune thinks he has a 6 in

Shrug. I made no such claim. In fact, I was very careful not to even imply as much. What I did specifically state was that I personally knew people among the Dumpshock alumni with just such a skill level.

Also note that there was no exceptions made in the original post in regards to Knowledge Skills. Karaden's statement used the term 'any skill' (with only languages given any leeway), and he did not add any disclaimer about them until after my first post in this thread.
Beetle
I've got a rating 6 skill in breaking crap I'm trying to fix wink.gif
Lionhearted
QUOTE (Beetle @ Oct 24 2008, 03:31 AM) *

I think that would be the Gremlins quality wink.gif On the bright side, you get more BP's from being good at breaking crap biggrin.gif
Cain
QUOTE (Beetle @ Oct 23 2008, 06:31 PM) *

I've got Level 4 Gremlins, but only as pertains to printers. Look Here for details.
Platinum Dragon
QUOTE (Coldhand Jake @ Oct 24 2008, 09:10 AM) *
Jake already -IS- me in SR. As for me as I am, since adiposis is a changeling trait, instead of just "I'm a 360+lb fat guy", several factors are difficult to quantify on a sheet... which brings up a good point...what if you were born a troll? Or became a technomancer or physical adept? That alone could entirely change your life into unrecognizable strangeness.

It could, but to be honest, if I were an adept I don't think I'd have turned out a lot different. It seems like a good fit for me.

QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Oct 24 2008, 11:31 AM) *
Are going to drive up to cow tit nowhere and verify their claims that they can bench press a furious Irishman while pleasuring members of all genders with the power of their massive and pulsating intellect?

You just made my week.
DocTaotsu
Considering it's Friday (for me) that's actually pretty good smile.gif
MaxMahem
MaxMahem:

STR 2
BOD 3
AGI 4
REA 3
LOG 7
INT 4
CHA 4
WIL 3

Chemistry: 4
Computers: 4
Law: 1 (but shooting for a 5!)
Blades: 1(3 Fencing)

---

But if I was a shadowrunner...

Well I don't feel like stating myself out. But I would probably be a lawyer/chemist/hacker. Not worth crap in a fight, but a fearsome foe when striking from behind the scenes!
kanislatrans
ok, gonna stat me. but as to not cause any more flare ups I'll leave out my flippin' sweet skills, You know, like nunchuku skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills.. grinbig.gif

[ Spoiler ]

Ok, thats not my real name...but this is a pretty good description of me today. will add the 400 bp of me later if the kids and wife will give me time...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012