Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dodge vs Gymnastics Dodge
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Hagga
QUOTE (Cain @ Nov 2 2008, 03:54 AM) *
Please. If they're that bouncy, they're just going to jump right over a sweep.

Wear them down. Most people aren't in very good shape, and can't keep up the bouncy stuff for more than a minute or two. If they are better than that, you're probably dead anyway, so there's no harm in trying to run them out of energy.

At Amberly, if you wore the instructors down by making them work to hit you, they really tore into you when they finally caught you.
Good motivation to get better.
toturi
QUOTE (reepneep @ Nov 2 2008, 12:19 PM) *
Note that I said kick their legs out from under them, not a sweep. A good kick to the thigh is very good for wearing people out and very difficult to evade. ork.gif

Some Muay Thai instructors teach knee strikes by having their trainees kick each other's thighs. A good kick to the thigh might just break your foot. A good technique, though, would be use a knee strike against the foot that is seeking your thigh. Chances are his foot will break first.

At Amberly, if you wore the instructors down by making them work to hit you, they really tore into you when they finally caught you.
Good motivation to get better.

That'd depend on what style your instructers are teaching and where you are fighting. If you wore them down properly, when they catch you, they'd be too tired to tear into you.
Cthulhudreams
Shadowrun combat is just to fast to seriously entertain thoughts of wearing them down. You typically have less than 6 seconds before someone pulls an SMG and turns you into pink mist. (that can be as many as 8 IPs)

I've always thought of SR combat as brutal high speed assaults focused on highly aggressive combat styles emphasizing rapid take downs.

Anything else is just going to get you killed.
Cain
QUOTE (reepneep @ Nov 1 2008, 08:19 PM) *
Note that I said kick their legs out from under them, not a sweep. A good kick to the thigh is very good for wearing people out and very difficult to evade. ork.gif

Point. Although I still say wearing them down is a good idea. In a real fight, most people run out of steam in the first minute or so.
Ravor
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Nov 1 2008, 05:29 PM) *
Good, then you'll be happy to learn that the guy in that clip was not a martial artist, but rather an Olympic gymnast, and therefore I guess you can take advice from him.

Feeling snarky today? silly.gif
Arashi
I like gymnastic dodge, though I don't think you have to think it is all corny Kung-Fu theatre-style actions. I would add to the conversation that a "Gymnastic Dodge" could have the fluff connotations of high-flying ninja movies and cartwheels if you like - OR it could be more down to earth.

Consider a 'gymnastics' more along the line of Parkour. Even though Parkour philosophy doesn't formally codify specific maneuvers, practitioners do train individual skills that highly represent gymnastic-level techniques while being a lot less complex and diverse than gymnastics. These have been developed to the point of competitions and being featured in movies.

One in particular is called District B13, an english language release of the French action film "Banlieue 13". Starring the creator of Parkour, David Belle, there are a lot of great scenes where I could see 'gymnastic dodge' applying in both melee and ranged. Given that this discipline has developed in just a few years, add 60+ years to it and I can see it being a full-fledged possibility.

Game-mechanic wise, I would penalize Gymnastic Dodge in the same way that the BBB p160 uses for vehicle tests re: Terrain.

i.e. Tighter terrain = harder to maneuver = die pool modifier (= to the threshold listed for vehicles)
(afterthought: I might lessen the penalty if there was room to go up and the character had Climbing
at the level of penalty*2, to reflect the ability to use vertical movement to an advantage.)

I look at Dodge being akin to training reflexive short movements, as well as internalizing the knowledge that human eyes don't track sideways very well and practicing movement along angles of attack and evasion. Think a boxer moving his head just under or to the side of a punch, or the pistol duel between Wesley Snipes and Michael Biehn in "The Art of War".

YMMV
Karaden
The thing is that with the dodge skill for ranged combat, it isn't actually about dodging bullets. No one is even remotely that fast, even if you had wired reflexes and all that. It is about performing quick, sudden, and unexpected changes in your direction to make leading you more difficult.

This is very similar to what people do in American football, they have to try and fake the person out so they tackle in the wrong direction. So yeah, I can see someone who is good at gymnastics being able to do something like that fairly easily.

The specialization of dodge comes in that if you spec in ranged, your better at the sudden shifts in direction, and good at making them random so people can't anticipate a change. A melee dodge is more about being able to see the attack and move your body out of the way then misleading your opponent.

A gymnast would have more difficulty with this as it requires a direct reaction to the attack as opposed to simply moving around alot. This is why the two are the same effectiveness at range, but dodge is more effective in melee. When you get into a block with a gymnastics dodge, your talking about the gymnast part bouncing around and making a somewhat harder target, and the melee part deflecting the blows that manage to get close.

So yeah, even though the text talks about doing cartwheels and stuff, that would actually make you easier to hit as opposed to harder, cartwheels are difficult to change direction in, thus easier to lead thus easier to hit. So at range both are equally effective in all conditions as far as I'm concerned, but in melee dodge would be more useful in a tight space because your relying more on small controlled movements as opposed to generally bouncing around like crazy.

But as for actual game mechanics... well I think it has been said a few times already so I won't repeat.
Wounded Ronin
Uh, wearing someone out in a fight and letting them get tired is a great thing for if you were in a sporting event and the other person has crap stamina. But if you were just trying to jack someone up and he was crappy enough to have crap stamina in the first place, mebbe you should just, you know, hurt him quickly.

EDIT: Here's an amusing video of a fat "karate master" trying to demonstrate his mastery of martial arts. There's three long videos of him fighting horrendously in a light contact setting, but if you want to see the moment where he pretty much faints from exhaustion it's at near the 3:30 mark in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaFHkh-v_ms...feature=related

So, in summary, LOL HE GOT TIRED. (After very litte exercise.)

If you've got the time, watch the preceeding 2 videos. They're extremely funny.

EDIT 2:

If the other person is crappy enough, it would make more sense just to hurt him quickly, rather than your first priority being to dance around till he gets tired: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_taQXTem_X4...feature=related

Waiting till someone gets tired would only make sense if you can't hurt someone immediately, if you think about it.
Karaden
That 'light contact' sparring as you put it is actually alot more draining then you'd think, especially since it isn't light contact. Did he collapse after only 3:30 or are the other two videos all part of a series of spars? Don't feel like watching so much to figure out.

But anyway, this really kinda proves that waiting for someone to get tired really isn't a viable option in most fights. That was a bare minimum of 3:30 before he collapsed, and he is obviously in poor shape (Though apparently a black belt if I can see his belt properly, how weird). Sure in a real fight you'd ware down somewhat faster, but not a ton. So unless your fighting Rent-a-cop Joe who weighs 400 lb your going to be waiting a long time for them to tire (And of course you can't exactly just stand still the whole time). Of course if your fighting Joe, you may as well just take him down right away.

The verdict in short is: If you opponent is in bad enough shape that you can wear him down in a reasonable time, you can take him out easily, and if he is good enough that you can't take him out easily, you don't have enough time to wait for him to wear down, all the more so because your going to get tired in the process too.
AllTheNothing
QUOTE (Karaden @ Nov 2 2008, 06:22 PM) *
Though apparently a black belt if I can see his belt properly, how weird

I too could wear a somemartialart-gi and a black belt, I remember that when I studied judo I had a white belt that started have a greysh hue, had I not washed it....
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Karaden @ Nov 2 2008, 12:22 PM) *
That 'light contact' sparring as you put it is actually alot more draining then you'd think, especially since it isn't light contact. Did he collapse after only 3:30 or are the other two videos all part of a series of spars? Don't feel like watching so much to figure out.

But anyway, this really kinda proves that waiting for someone to get tired really isn't a viable option in most fights. That was a bare minimum of 3:30 before he collapsed, and he is obviously in poor shape (Though apparently a black belt if I can see his belt properly, how weird). Sure in a real fight you'd ware down somewhat faster, but not a ton. So unless your fighting Rent-a-cop Joe who weighs 400 lb your going to be waiting a long time for them to tire (And of course you can't exactly just stand still the whole time). Of course if your fighting Joe, you may as well just take him down right away.

The verdict in short is: If you opponent is in bad enough shape that you can wear him down in a reasonable time, you can take him out easily, and if he is good enough that you can't take him out easily, you don't have enough time to wait for him to wear down, all the more so because your going to get tired in the process too.

He'd actually been doing various activites for maybe 15 minutes before he collapsed. Still though, that's no excuse. A serious fighter shouldn't get tired that quickly, especially a young one. I can take you to a kickboxing gym where serious hobbyists and competitors train and I would guarantee you that you'd see people going much harder on various athletic activities for at least 45 minutes at a stretch. Some very serious athletes I know that train at a MMA gym literally can work out for hours a day, although it makes them get extremely tired and they have to ease off a bit towards the end of that time period.

He has a black belt but he's actually a phony black belt. The events in the video took place because he'd been opening martial arts schools without being qualified and then when some people started to call him on this he decided it would be a good idea to come out and demonstrate his martial prowess by demonstrating some kata and then sparring a few people.
Arashi
Karaden <<A gymnast would have more difficulty with this as it requires a direct reaction to the attack as opposed to simply moving around alot. This is why the two are the same effectiveness at range, but dodge is more effective in melee. When you get into a block with a gymnastics dodge, your talking about the gymnast part bouncing around and making a somewhat harder target, and the melee part deflecting the blows that manage to get close.>>

This makes me think of gymnastics even more like vehicle maneuvering... maybe that threshold idea isn't a bad thing. We get to keep the game mechanic for the vehicle test re: terrain in regards to surroundings and also multiple opponents. So, a Parkour practitioner or gymnast with lots of room and only one person might have his full skill effectiveness - but the same defender surrounded by 4 people in a tight tenament hallway would have a threshold of 3 to overcome with gymnastics before even getting any successes to apply.

Though, if he was able to evade the first attack after losing 3 hits, I probably would negate the others' multiple attacker bonuses because it was a mobile defense and he probably angled past someone out of the circle of fire.

This gives a significant bonus to dodge in melee while using an existing game mechanic. Simple and effective, what does the gallery think?

Side Note: I am considering ruling dodge as a physical skill instead of combat skill for purposes of Improved Ability Adept power cost, simply because IMHO it provides less utility and has no attack capability. I don't know if anyone has ever spent 1.5 power points for a wicked dodge, but I know I have seen plenty of people drop 0.75 for world-class gymnastics and get bonuses to breakfall, jumping, balancing, and dodging.

YMMV as always.
Karaden
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Nov 2 2008, 01:56 PM) *
He'd actually been doing various activites for maybe 15 minutes before he collapsed. Still though, that's no excuse. A serious fighter shouldn't get tired that quickly, especially a young one. I can take you to a kickboxing gym where serious hobbyists and competitors train and I would guarantee you that you'd see people going much harder on various athletic activities for at least 45 minutes at a stretch. Some very serious athletes I know that train at a MMA gym literally can work out for hours a day, although it makes them get extremely tired and they have to ease off a bit towards the end of that time period.

He has a black belt but he's actually a phony black belt. The events in the video took place because he'd been opening martial arts schools without being qualified and then when some people started to call him on this he decided it would be a good idea to come out and demonstrate his martial prowess by demonstrating some kata and then sparring a few people.

Your quite correct, which only shows my point all the more. This out of shape kid lasted about 18 minutes, a real fighter could last far longer. Granted in a battle situation the time would be lowered, but it would still be higher then any runner actually has time for.

And yeah, figured I was either seeing it wrong or it was fake.

As for the threshold thing, sounds fine, not sure it should be threshold, maybe just a penalty to DP would work fine.
TKDNinjaInBlack
Wow, I should have started reading this thread sooner.

First off, Gymkata... Amazing. I miss that entire string of horrible 80s and 90s Segal and Van Damme era martial arts movies. Never really watched too many of them because they were so bad, but those scenes that show up on the net are usually priceless. About that 2 minute segment where he is fighting the town as they come at him one at a time I've got two things to say; First, why was there a gymnastics horse in the middle of the town square so he could do that snazzy scene, and second, why did I see him do the same two kicks on the same 2 guys over 3 times? The recycled stock footage was giving me flashbacks to watching DBZ.

Gymnastics in a fight... Yeah, cartwheeling and jumping around makes it really really hard for someone to change direction. If you ever play a FPS game, don't jump through the air, you'll just be sniped. Don't do jumping or flying techniques because your path is set after you leave the ground. And don't cartwheel towards your enemy like this tool...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7157QMW9abM
Does anyone remember "Only the Strong?" Another one of those horrible 90s martial arts exploitation films.

Also, found a vid that you might all appreciate. I had no idea that Kiai was a real martial art (or at least a real faked one) that existed IRL. I thought it was just something dumped into the SR world like Firefight, Carrmolegg, etc. Found this to make everybody's day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I...feature=related

Also, I call BS on that MMA vs kung fu video. If you look in the first second of the fight at the way the kung fu "expert" approaches the dude, you can see he's either a fakey douche or a total noob.

Also, I say that there shouldn't be penalties for using gymnastics dodge in confined areas because all that would happen would be a change of gymnastic technique, not a total hinderence of ability. Instead of fliping out of the way, the dude might bounce off the wall.
Glyph
QUOTE (Karaden @ Nov 1 2008, 09:02 PM) *
Don't you love how there is a mob of like 200 people there, but they only come at him 1 or 2 at a time? I mean anyone with decent combat skills and endurance could take down 200 (untrained) people if they only have to fight one at a time.

Obviously, none of those people were Shadowrun players, so they didn't know about the "friends in melee" bonus.
Karaden
QUOTE (Glyph @ Nov 2 2008, 04:09 PM) *
Obviously, none of those people were Shadowrun players, so they didn't know about the "friends in melee" bonus.

Obviously.
streetangelj
Wasn't "Only the Strong" the Marc Dacascos flick where he teaches the inner city kids Capoiera? I loved that flick (but I'm a big fan of his work ever since "Crow: Stairway to Heaven"). For those of you unsure who Dacascos is you might know him as Tyre from Stargate: Atlantis and "TheChairman" of Iron Chef America.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (streetangelj @ Nov 3 2008, 09:00 AM) *
Wasn't "Only the Strong" the Marc Dacascos flick where he teaches the inner city kids Capoiera?

Yes. And hilariously one of the eville public school teachers refers to the main character, being an Army veteran who has recently started teaching at that school, as "Mr. Death Squad". That's over-the-top-to-the-point-of-unbelievableness movie villany.
Remjin
QUOTE (TheOOB @ Nov 1 2008, 08:40 PM) *
You've obviously never been in a fist fight with someone who is very agile, people who move around a lot and are flexible are very hard to get a solid hit on, especially when then end up behind you.

QUOTE (reepneep @ Nov 1 2008, 09:29 PM) *
That's more of a matter of reading and anticipating your opponent's movements, thus being your melee skill group rather than anything covered by the gymnastics skill. Besides, all you do to bouncy, always in motion people is round kick their legs out from under them.

QUOTE (Cain @ Nov 1 2008, 09:54 PM) *
Please. If they're that bouncy, they're just going to jump right over a sweep.

Wear them down. Most people aren't in very good shape, and can't keep up the bouncy stuff for more than a minute or two. If they are better than that, you're probably dead anyway, so there's no harm in trying to run them out of energy.

QUOTE (reepneep @ Nov 1 2008, 10:19 PM) *

Okay, this is likely going to come across as condescending, but it isn't intended as such...

Flexible, fast, agile, acrobatic, whatever... its going to come down to a lot of factors that just all boils down to skill. Having fought legal, illegal, gloved and bare-knuckled in years past (and no, I wasn't all that good, just dumb enough to do it) you can't boil down any one factor to being a winning trait. I've seen slow and inflexible guys waste people and I've seen odd monkey-like wild jittery freaks win it as well. I've been in fights where highly athletic groups of people with baseball bats have lost to a couple of guys who just didn't seem to mind getting hit with bats (and no, I won't say which side I was on... but it was a tad ugly for both sides). I've seen guys flip off walls and get handed their own butts for it and I once saw a guy almost touch his head to the ground while knocking a guy out with his foot on the upswing. I've actually seen a guy win by destroying the other guy's fist with his own. In the end, it just came down to skill and how they implemented on the traits they had. Arguing maneuver or attribute to attribute will just be a long, drawn out and pointless argument started by talking about a guy who can actually play off using a ladder as a weapon versus a dozen people to the vast amusement of all.

Let's not take ourselves too seriously, we play pretend as a hobby. =)

And thanks to all for clarifying the various niceties of the dodge and gymnastics points for me. I was curious about that as well.
Remjin
Ah, so nice to see more of that bullshit mystical stuff put away... *sigh* There is some amazing stuff that can be done with chi/ki to a point, but some of that crap out there is so much garbage its good to see it put to rest.

As far as "wearing down" opponents and such, I don't know about most of you but I don't get it many "bouts" these days but I have occasionally had to defend myself or a loved one... and the only tactic that has ever worked for me is to win, quickly, and not play around. I don't wanna drop my cigarette or break a sweat, afterall. grinbig.gif Crush it, break it, rip it, disable it, remove it, poke it, cut it, shoot it, slash it, stab it, and run. Do the fewest possible to win then always go for the run. (they always have friends) Its what they're trying to do to you, so do it smarter, faster, or better and get the hell out of there. Let the jerks bounce around and play at fighting, I like my life and would like to resume it as quickly as possible.

Feel free to ignore my rather pessimistic and paranoid view of the world (as always), I've spent enough time in the hospital for stupid decisions that I have a certain outlook on things.
Cain
I suppose I'm obligated to clarify.

When you fight someone who's bouncing around like an idiot, odds are that they are an idiot. Watch this video for an example. Let Mr. Bouncy Ball run himself out of steam, or bounce his way into a mistake.

Now, that debacle was between trained fighters. Between untrained people, many (but not all!) simply don't know what to do. They'll copy whatever looked good on the last TV show they watched. Wearing down a normal person is easy, and ou can always take advantage of any openings you find along the way.
Rotbart van Dainig
BTT - as a GM, I'm pretty brutal when it comes to Gymnastic Dodge:

If movement is restricted, Gymnastic Dodge will get additional penalties, compared to other full Defense options.
If other physical skills apply to the situation (Swinning, Diving, Climbing, Parachuting, Flight), Gymnastics isn't allowed at all, but the applicable physical skill (or Dodge) is.

QUOTE (Cain @ Nov 4 2008, 12:16 PM) *
Now, that debacle was between trained fighters.

Actually, like pointed out in the YT comments, it's from Never Back Down.
Tachi
There are some things I'd really like to say here after reading the rest of this thread, but I'm not going to because I don't like to start arguments. What I will say is this:

Any fight that lasts longer than 5 seconds per opponent exponentially increases your chances of being seriously injured. In real life you must destroy your opponent as quickly as possible. Period. Since I actually learned real H-2-H ten years ago I have not been in a fight that lasted longer than this.

I do not sport fight. I do not practice modern martial arts because they are pale, watered down, civilianized, exercise versions of once great fighting techniques. On the other hand, several supposedly useless and outdated military combatives styles are nearly unstoppable if properly applied. Find someone who teaches the old styles or CQC. (Like getting your "black belt" by having your white one turn black with dirt, sweat, and blood. What idiot came up with this absurd colored belt system?) Fighting is COMBAT not a sport. Train for sport combat, and I guarantee that I will eat your fucking lunch.

Ground fighting is suicide in real life. BJJ/MMA is garbage when there are no rules. Yeah, go to the ground, that's where the broken glass is, not to mention giving his friends a chance to really mess you up. Like a friend of mine in the military told me, "This BJJ stuff they're teaching the new recruits is pathetic, yeah like I'm gonna take a muj down and roll around on the ground with him until one of his dumb ass friends runs up and shoots us both."

Remjin*QFT*
As far as "wearing down" opponents and such, I don't know about most of you but I don't get it many "bouts" these days but I have occasionally had to defend myself or a loved one... and the only tactic that has ever worked for me is to win, quickly, and not play around. I don't wanna drop my cigarette or break a sweat, afterall. grinbig.gif Crush it, break it, rip it, disable it, remove it, poke it, cut it, shoot it, slash it, stab it, and RUN. Do the fewest possible to win then always go for the run. (they always have friends) Its what they're trying to do to you, so do it smarter, faster, or better and get the hell out of there. Let the jerks bounce around and play at fighting, I like my life and would like to resume it as quickly as possible. *QFT* (bold/capitalized emphasis mine.... Tachi, RUNNING = the greatest defense in history!)

Some of you may disagree with me, that is your right. But, I have fought 8 vs. 1 with me as the one, at the end, I was the only one standing, I was hurting very badly, but I was on my feet. I'm not the toughest, meanest, or most skilled; I just don't play when it comes to RL violence. I really will rip your ears off, tear your cheek open, or whip out my knife and reduce you to your base pieces. (Consequently, considering my knowledge of anatomy, knife skills, and the fact that I have butchered my own dinner quite a few times, I estimate that I could dismember a human in under 30 seconds, if you want the organs removed without to much damage, add another 30 seconds. Keep in mind that I carry only a 3.5 inch assisted open. Big knives are entirely unnecessary when dealing with humans.)

But, as we all know, opinions vary. However, results speak for themselves. I have defended myself and others against determined attackers, both armed and unarmed, that did not care about their own safety; people who were really and truly trying to KILL me. I'm still here.
TKDNinjaInBlack
Wasn't "Only the Strong" the Marc Dacascos flick where he teaches the inner city kids Capoiera?

Yup. Bah Nah Nah Way! Bah Nah Nah Way... Nah Nah nah!

QUOTE ( @ Nov 4 2008, 12:50 AM) *
Ah, so nice to see more of that bullshit mystical stuff put away... *sigh* There is some amazing stuff that can be done with chi/ki to a point, but some of that crap out there is so much garbage its good to see it put to rest.

What's so sad about the practitioners of fake arts like that is that they actually believe they can do those things they demonstrate. Their students are so brainwashed that those demonstrations are more or less real, not because the guy is actually doing it, but because those students actually believe he is doing it to them. There are a ton of videos that are just like that which are a bit more over dramatized where I think the students are actually in on the lie, but for the most part, a lot of them believe it. It takes a special kind of impressionable moron to actually WANT to be a part of that school anyways, so their subsequent manipulation is even easier. If someone who didn't believe in it to begin with entered the school and didn't fall down when the master did his thing then the whole system would be ruined.

QUOTE (Cain)
When you fight someone who's bouncing around like an idiot, odds are that they are an idiot. Watch this video for an example. Let Mr. Bouncy Ball run himself out of steam, or bounce his way into a mistake.

You brought that to the table a little late. That's the same video I linked to a few posts up.

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Actually, like pointed out in the YT comments, it's from Never Back Down.

Ah. Then we can dismiss the video as fad-based MMA exploitation trash.

QUOTE (Tachi)
I do not sport fight. I do not practice modern martial arts because they are pale, watered down, civilianized, exercise versions of once great fighting techniques. On the other hand, several supposedly useless and outdated military combatives styles are nearly unstoppable if properly applied. Find someone who teaches the old styles or CQC. (Like getting your "black belt" by having your white one turn black with dirt, sweat, and blood. What idiot came up with this absurd colored belt system?) Fighting is COMBAT not a sport. Train for sport combat, and I guarantee that I will eat your fucking lunch.

This is why I am thankful that when I was young my parents saw how ridiculous the first modern TKD school they dumped me into was. Luckily they enrolled me in a very traditional taekwondo (Chung Do Kwan for all of you historians) school after that. I'm not going to beat around the bush, there are colored belts, but when you get to black belt, that's when the real training begins. It's like the colored belts were added as a pre-cursor to the real martial art for most modern audiences and if you still want to do it at black belt then you get to learn stuff that's actually useful. It's such a shame that people think that having a black belt means anything. In good old fashioned traditional martial arts like mine, black belt is where the training would have started 70 years ago in Korea. This is where you start actually learning the meat of the art, not just the movements. Application of force, speed, and focus to a single point to drop an opponent. One hit, one kill philosophy. Do it right or GTFO because you'll die in a fight where you can't.

I'm not going to lie, I've never been in a life or death situation IN A FIGHT. I bet I've got the focus and mentality to translate what I've learned into survival though. The skills are there in the muscle memory. The mentality will kick in when necessary. It has kicked in during other life or death situations that I've gotten myself out of though. I've avoided more car accidents (sevaral of which would have been fatal) because of the learned ability to adopt that frame of mind that's do or die.

That's part of the reason I like really traditional martial arts training though. It's not just about the skills you learn for a fight, but it teaches you the ability to focus and use that super serious attitude to get anything done across all aspects of life. Just having really good fight skills really applies to just fighting. I'm not saying that one can't develop the discipline through other means though, because they can. Certain lifestyles are inherently more laced with strong regimented routines rooted in strong levels of discipline because of the severity of consequences in the event of failure.
Tyro
Wow... I hadn't expected such a strong/well-written set of responses, much less so quickly. It says something when the OP doesn't reply until page 3 because the thread is that far along before he checks it. For the record, I'm a former MMA/BJJ martial artist (practiced for 3 years), and I agree: it's far too sports-oriented. I had a practice bout with a friend of mine who knew *real* groundfighting once, and got my ass handed to me. I now do traditional Hapkido, and love it.
Remjin
Colored belts were introduced with the codification of modern Judo. It was meant as a way to easily match up people of the same skill/learning level. All that "old school white to black by blood sweat and tears" stuff is a lot of hooey. Belts hold your pants up, as the always entertaining Mr. Miyagi once said. rotate.gif Most of the time, colored belts are used nowadays as a way of getting another lump sum payment for continuing to keep a person in class.

Martial Arts in the modern age is so full of bullshit these days, mostly because it isn't as much use or as vital as it once was. In the age of the gun, fighting the old way is relatively less viable. Assuming a degree of authenticity, it is still done because it does still come up, it teaches you a lot about your body and conditions you to better respond under physical stress, and in certain climates is your only option as the tyrants continue to attempt to disarm us.

As a business, it is much much easier and VERY much more profitable to crank people through and not hold them to any standards, because people pay to advance and move elsewhere when they cannot. That's why there are so many crappy martial artists out there. You'll find that 95%+ of people in martial arts schools have very little interest in actual skill so much as the pride/ego aspects and otherwise. As Tachi mentioned, a lot of it is directed at sport, and if that's your goal then there's nothing wrong with it so long as you don't fool yourself into thinking you're learning to fight.

I have little respect for competitions like the UFC. Don't get me wrong, some of those guys are very fit and very tough but a lot of them are terrible fighters and worse people. Just watch one of the Ultimate Fighter shows where all the guys are trying to get into the UFC. That much thuggery is pathetic. People fighting like children, peeing on each other's clothes, getting drunk enough to vomit on themselves and then pick fights... please. Watching them in the ring flinching like school-girls because someone threw a punch at them makes me laugh, and as much as I respect ground fighting and grappling in general as a necessary skill set, I'm hardly an advocate of learning it to exclusion of all else... I hate a lot of these modern martial people who say learning one style is stupid, so instead of being good at any one thing and then moving on to expand on what you've learned you have all these morons that just suck at a hodgepodge of techniques having mastered none but bludgeon their way through them all.

Okay, now I'm rambling when all I meant to do is tell the colored belt story. Sorry. This is one of my pet peeve subjects and I'm trying not to get overly into this for fear of sounding like a jerk. Years of tolerating kids wanting to learn jumping combination kicks and flips with the occasional kung fu style pose inserted has aggravated me, as well as the "tough guys" who never want to actually do any of the exercises, basics, conditioning drills, strengthening exercises, forms/katas, or theory. You get all these people who want to learn the shadowless kick before they can even stand on one leg for half a second, or you get the guy who makes the Bruce Lee noises and dances around like a tart, or don't like to sweat or hurt or strain. I like all of the same movies these people do, but its amazing how many people think that the movies are real. I mean... GYMKATA?! Cripes, people should have been executed for how bad that movie was... argh, ranting again, sorry...

So, yeah, Dodge and Gymnastics are good skills in this game and stuff... spin.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Cain @ Nov 4 2008, 06:16 AM) *
I suppose I'm obligated to clarify.

Now, that debacle was between trained fighters. Between untrained people, many (but not all!) simply don't know what to do. They'll copy whatever looked good on the last TV show they watched. Wearing down a normal person is easy, and ou can always take advantage of any openings you find along the way.

I see your single comedy video, and raise you 2 comedy videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KqUHQzyHFs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB3sfXnZyyA
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Tachi @ Nov 4 2008, 09:10 AM) *
There are some things I'd really like to say here after reading the rest of this thread, but I'm not going to because I don't like to start arguments. What I will say is this:

Any fight that lasts longer than 5 seconds per opponent exponentially increases your chances of being seriously injured. In real life you must destroy your opponent as quickly as possible. Period. Since I actually learned real H-2-H ten years ago I have not been in a fight that lasted longer than this.

Lots of people nowadays go on a Walter Mitty trip studying "reality based self defense" which has all the WWII and Vietnam era eye gouges, neck breaks, and what have you. However, most of these people are fat, insecure, and can't fight worth a damn. And they like to go on and on over the internet about how "BJJ/MMA/wrestling/whatever doesn't work in t3h str33t" because the asphalt is invariably blanketed with broken glass and HIV-infected needles. The one guy on the internet who goes on the most about Applegate/Fairbain stuff in self defense situations is also a fat insecure dude with a chronic fear of the homeless. (If you want hilarity, PM me and I can try and find some links to this macaroon's stuff for you.) If we look at the results of training I would say that in the United States today combat sports produce more people who have actual hand to hand ability than "reality based" programs.

Besides for eye gouges and testicle rips, a lot of the techniques in modern combative sports are very similar to the older "deadly" techniques found in traditional martial arts or old military combatives programs. Joints are more likely to break when you twist them certain ways or apply certain types of leverage, and an arm bar you see in a modern MMA competition isn't fundamentally different in terms of mechanics than a "combatives-style" attempt to break the elbow by forcing the arm with similar motions or with a strike as opposed to steady pressure so the other guy can tap out. The fallacy is to assume that someone who practices an arm bar frequently in a sport setting is magically incapable of executing the arm bar with more force and violence if his life is on the line to attempt an immediate arm break, whereas someone who learned some combatives elbow break will magically always be able to do so under stress. It's also fallacious to think that because MMA matches tend to go on for a long time that a MMA-trained grappler could not apply his submission/joint destruction techniques quickly, especially against a less skilled opponent. If you've ever grappled with someone who doesn't know how to defend against submissions, BAM, you can get the techniques on them almost immediately.

As far as eye gouges and testicle rips go, isn't it a clear logical fallacy to think that someone who is sport or MMA trained magically can't decide to use them in a life-and-death situation, whereas someone who went through 1950s commando hand to hand combat training will automatically succeed with his eye gouges and testicle rips whenever he attempts them against a fit, skilled, fully aggressive opponent? Wouldn't it be easier to get into the position to pluck out someone's eyes or crush his genitalia if you had a high degree of athleticism than if you were weak, or if you had a broad body of supplemental skills and techniques besides for just the "t00 d34dly f0r t3h r1ng buy my self-defense video because it has eye gouges" stuff?

I'd also point out the advantages of "alive" training in any kind of martial arts activity. If you practice on a regular basis against competent, athletic, fully-resisting opponents you will be better at making your techniques actually happen than if the only thing you do is contemplate ball crushing all day and maybe do it in the air a little bit.

Almost 10 years ago now, I trained in classical jujitsu with an instructor who was ex-military. He taught spinal destruction, some old military HTH techniques, limb breaking, etc, all the "reality" stuff. He was a skilled, tough individual in phenominal shape and really was influential in my life. Be that as it may, I absolutely sucked at fighting back then compared to today, when I've spent the intervening years engaged in various combative sports such as judo and kickboxing. This is because even though my head was filled with all sorts of nasty techniques, I hadn't had enough practice against fully resisting opponents to be able to make them work against people who knew what they were doing. The first time I experimented with grappling against a BJJ player none of my techniques worked because the BJJer could always get out of them whereas I could not escape any of his techniques because he was too good at applying them to a resisting opponent. If I got into a fight with a version of me from 10 years ago who was less athletic and whose head was filled with all the "deadly" stuff, I'd totally be able to destroy the old version of myself using all "sport" techniques because my overall level of skill in actually making the techniques work is a lot higher now. Remember, the only difference between a shoulder lock submission and a traditional shoulder breaking technique is how quickly and violently you crank the arm. The only difference between a neck crank submission and an attempt at a combatives-style neck breaker is intent, and slight variations in the directions you try to force the head and neck.

Ground fighting is suicide in real life. BJJ/MMA is garbage when there are no rules. Yeah, go to the ground, that's where the broken glass is, not to mention giving his friends a chance to really mess you up. Like a friend of mine in the military told me, "This BJJ stuff they're teaching the new recruits is pathetic, yeah like I'm gonna take a muj down and roll around on the ground with him until one of his dumb ass friends runs up and shoots us both."

BJJ =/= MMA.

A MMA fighter does not necessarily have to go to the ground.

I could just as readily point you to some military people who think Applegate, SCARS, LINE, etc is garbage, and who would emphasize the importance of "alive" training as discussed above. I'm not even joking or being snarky...I mean that in a totally neutral, serious, and statement-of-fact way.

Some of you may disagree with me, that is your right. But, I have fought 8 vs. 1 with me as the one, at the end, I was the only one standing, I was hurting very badly, but I was on my feet. I'm not the toughest, meanest, or most skilled; I just don't play when it comes to RL violence. I really will rip your ears off, tear your cheek open, or whip out my knife and reduce you to your base pieces. (Consequently, considering my knowledge of anatomy, knife skills, and the fact that I have butchered my own dinner quite a few times, I estimate that I could dismember a human in under 30 seconds, if you want the organs removed without to much damage, add another 30 seconds. Keep in mind that I carry only a 3.5 inch assisted open. Big knives are entirely unnecessary when dealing with humans.)

Knives are a whole other ball of wax, because competent use of a knife is superior to hand to hand combat. If you want to say that using a knife in a competent way is superior to any empty-hand martial art or combative sport of your choice you would be correct. But that's an entirely seperate issue whether fantasizing about eye gouges and groin ripping all day makes you a better fighter than actually sparring a lot.

QUOTE (TKDNinjaInBlack @ Nov 4 2008, 11:04 AM) *
Ah. Then we can dismiss the video as fad-based MMA exploitation trash.

Actually, "Only The Strong" was a movie about capoeira. Not about MMA.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Nov 5 2008, 02:43 AM) *
If we look at the results of training I would say that in the United States today combat sports produce more people who have actual hand to hand ability than "reality based" programs.

That's mostly due to the problem that there is no replacement for, well, training.

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Nov 5 2008, 02:43 AM) *
A MMA fighter does not necessarily have to go to the ground.

And he doesn't necessarily have to fight at all, either. The big question is - if it happens, was there training to make use of?
Cain
[Rant mode ON]:

Ok, I knew sooner or later the testosterone would come out. Yes, you're all great fighters and masters of martial arts. Congratulations.

This isn't Bullshido.net, guys. We're not talking about how to kill a dozen men with your pinky. Odds are, you'll never have to *really* fight an expert in your life; and nowadays, it's possible to go through your entire life without ever being in a single fight. For those that do, it's more likely to be some drunken idiot in a bar than a fight to the death against a ninja master. Training to handle a drunk in a bar, and run away from anything else, is far safer and more practical than trying to slug it out against an army of McNinja's.

[/Rant mode OFF]

Back on topic, does gymnastics dodge have to be handflips and cartwheels? And can you use Gymnastics instead of Dodge for the thriple-threat in full melee?
Platinum Dragon
QUOTE (TKDNinjaInBlack @ Nov 3 2008, 06:43 AM) *
Wow, I should have started reading this thread sooner.

First off, Gymkata... Amazing. I miss that entire string of horrible 80s and 90s Segal and Van Damme era martial arts movies. Never really watched too many of them because they were so bad, but those scenes that show up on the net are usually priceless. About that 2 minute segment where he is fighting the town as they come at him one at a time I've got two things to say; First, why was there a gymnastics horse in the middle of the town square so he could do that snazzy scene, and second, why did I see him do the same two kicks on the same 2 guys over 3 times? The recycled stock footage was giving me flashbacks to watching DBZ.

Gymnastics in a fight... Yeah, cartwheeling and jumping around makes it really really hard for someone to change direction. If you ever play a FPS game, don't jump through the air, you'll just be sniped. Don't do jumping or flying techniques because your path is set after you leave the ground. And don't cartwheel towards your enemy like this tool...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7157QMW9abM
Does anyone remember "Only the Strong?" Another one of those horrible 90s martial arts exploitation films.

Also, found a vid that you might all appreciate. I had no idea that Kiai was a real martial art (or at least a real faked one) that existed IRL. I thought it was just something dumped into the SR world like Firefight, Carrmolegg, etc. Found this to make everybody's day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I...feature=related

Also, I call BS on that MMA vs kung fu video. If you look in the first second of the fight at the way the kung fu "expert" approaches the dude, you can see he's either a fakey douche or a total noob.

Also, I say that there shouldn't be penalties for using gymnastics dodge in confined areas because all that would happen would be a change of gymnastic technique, not a total hinderence of ability. Instead of fliping out of the way, the dude might bounce off the wall.

Actually, I do a bunch of jumping in CoD4. When you barrel into someone and you're too far away to knife them, jump and fire. They'll shoot at where your head was, not where it is, meaning you can take an extra bullet or two and give yourself time to take them out.

I really like the level of mobility you have in CoD4, it demonstrates how insanely hard it can be to hit a moving target. Running around like a mad bastard ends up being a much better defence against bullets than cowering behind a wall.

QUOTE (Cain @ Nov 5 2008, 02:55 PM) *
[Rant mode ON]:

Ok, I knew sooner or later the testosterone would come out. Yes, you're all great fighters and masters of martial arts. Congratulations.

This isn't Bullshido.net, guys. We're not talking about how to kill a dozen men with your pinky. Odds are, you'll never have to *really* fight an expert in your life; and nowadays, it's possible to go through your entire life without ever being in a single fight. For those that do, it's more likely to be some drunken idiot in a bar than a fight to the death against a ninja master. Training to handle a drunk in a bar, and run away from anything else, is far safer and more practical than trying to slug it out against an army of McNinja's.

[/Rant mode OFF]

Back on topic, does gymnastics dodge have to be handflips and cartwheels? And can you use Gymnastics instead of Dodge for the thriple-threat in full melee?

No, and no. Gymnastics dodge, basically lets you use fluff descriptions to explain the bonus you're getting to your dodge pool, and the cartwheels in the base book are a really bad example. Your defense pool in melee is Rea + (dodge / unarmed / melee). Full defense adds (dodge / unarmed / melee / gymnastics) to that pool, though you can only add unarmed / melee if you were using that as your base, I think (full block).
Remjin
QUOTE (Cain @ Nov 4 2008, 09:55 PM) *
[Rant mode ON]:

[/Rant mode OFF]

Hehe, if I could just learn the "brown point" I heard about, I'd be happy, honestly... something to do with some kind of pressure point that makes a person poop. That's a win, in my estimation, no matter how long I have to spend in the hospital afterward from being kicked half to death while laughing... rotfl.gif Ninjas would be fun, though... or maybe pirates... can we start that discussion? =) I think I should apologize here, I think I sort of added to the testosterone bit.

I think Gymnastics is supposed to cover any sort of acrobatic maneuver, though perhaps not as flashy as you think of as gymnastics in the olympics or anything. I'd say for stuff even like vaulting across counter-tops, flipping over a couch onto your back/stomach, or even some of those fun gunfu movie type dodges and such. As far as the triple-threat in melee, I think you can add gymnastics to dodge but cannot double up on it like you can dodge in melee.

To be honest, as much as it makes sense to use full defense, especially when you have multiple initiative passes, it strikes me as a tad boring and could become all too standard. Running for cover and stuff, sure, but standing there going dodge-nuts seems like trying to pull a Neo from the Matrix. Doesn't sit well in my personal movie while roleplaying... too bad there isn't a "Running like a nut-bag while dodging fire" maneuver or something. Or perhaps my personal favorite, the "screaming like a school girl trying to find a place to hide" maneuver. That would be totally awesome.
TKDNinjaInBlack
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Nov 4 2008, 07:43 PM) *
Actually, "Only The Strong" was a movie about capoeira. Not about MMA.

Yeah, I know, but I was talking about "Never Back Down."

I think we can all agree that in general, the state of training in the martial arts (combative sport or traditional Martial arts) is really poor. We don't even need to pick apart which styles taught by which people to make this generalization. The martial arts have always been a fad throughout the years, and every decade a new one pops up and becomes fashionable. In the 60's and 70's it was Kung Fu. In the 80's it was Karate. 90's had olypmic (flashy kick oriented) taekwondo. Now we have MMA (BJJ more specifically).

Regardless of who your teacher is and how they teach you your techniques, there are always the majority of the practitioners who are total goobers. These are the kids who get into class and want to learn the "shadowless kick" or the "dim-mak," et al. When they learn that to be a GOOD martial artist one has to practice discipline, self control, and work really fucking hard at strength training, conditioning, and mindless repetition, they crap out and seek another instructor who teaches them stupid flashy moves that they can pretend are effective. It came as a shock after a few years of practicing (many years ago at that, I think I was still a teenager) when I struck a heavy sand filled bag the first time with a punch. It fucking hurt. My wrist was week and my knuckles broke open and my hand collapsed. It's a real ego breaker. But, I sucked it up and went back to training, and kept that failure in mind. Now, my hand is conditioned and there's required necessary strength to hit the target with good force and make the bag move, not me. It's the basics that one needs to practice to get good. This is true of any style.

Wong Kuk Lee (founder of TKD by opening the first school in Korea [1944, PRE-end of Japanese Occupation, how's that for Ballsy?]) said himself in an interview a few years before he died that modern practitioners of TKD don't have the mindset required to learn it properly. They don't practice the five things that are important to have good combat worthy technique (good stance, balance, core strength, conditioned striking surfaces, and focus) and focus too much on flashy kicks. It's a good hint when the founder of a style tells the people who practice that they are doing it wrong. He and his original group of students used it for combat too. They were continually targeted for muggings and death by different political parties (japanese occupation, and the turbulent years in Korea that followed WWII into the Korean War) until he fled to Japan. These techniques killed and defended, but now people don't really have the need for that. It's true for most of any martial art that is taught in the states.

Someone said earlier that everything is watered down. I don't necessarily believe that. The proper attitude to use and learn the techniques as intended as lethal combat ending self defense maneuvers is lost among the populace. They have never had to defend themselves in violent political upheavals or in wars like in the countries where these techniques come from. Go to Israel. I bet the Krav Maga you learn there is the same Krav Maga you learn here in the states. But take a look at the students. Here in the states you have martial art movie fanboys learning it for recreation and in Israel you have defense forces learning it for CQC survival. Different mindset.

Another thing with majority of the populace being a bunch of fanboy goobers is that we do end up with stupid thugs learning how to hit really hard not having the etiquette that normally comes with a disciplined martial art. It's not just in the UFC though. All martial arts styles have their fair share of teachers who are trying to make their buck and just pump students through a routine that earns them a lot of cash and teaches their students absolutely nothing about discipline. If they actually taught discipline, or made the students disciplined through hard work, they'd lose the fanbase they are appealing to and lose out on the money they are making.

QUOTE (Remjin)
Hehe, if I could just learn the "brown point" I heard about, I'd be happy, honestly... something to do with some kind of pressure point that makes a person poop.

that exists just below the navel in between the separation of the muscles of the lower and upper abdomen. You know when you see boxers use that low uppercut to just about the belt line? Yeah, they're aiming for that. It doesn't make them instantly shit per se, but if you hit it enough or hard enough while the target doesn't have a good tight defense, it can cause loss of bowel control. There is a nerve center behind that spot that controls all of the bowel muscles and muscles for urination. It reacts the same kind of way you can't breath for a bit when you get hit in the solar plexis. In boxing, with the gloves nobody can ever really hit hard enough to make loss of bowels really happen, but that nerve center also allows a person to keep one's stomach and core tight. If you remember, good core strength is required for just about any kind of good attack or balance or defense, so if you lose that connection of your top half of your body to your bottom half through a tight core, you are rendered pretty defenseless.

Fun story about that point. about 6 years back, me and another black belt were the only two people in class, so our instructor wanted to give us "a class to remember." As we did our form/kata by his count, he hit us there several times, repeatedly. He didn't hit hard for pain, but it was jarring. We knew the blows were coming too, so we were staying as tight as we could. But his knife hand over and over again broke down our defenses, and when asked to do the form as fast as we could, we merely couldn't operate our legs like we wanted. It felt like trudging through drying cement or syrup. One's lower body really couldn't move as fast as we wanted it to. On top of that, if there was any kind of waist twist required for a move, it slowed down upper body movement by destroying that kind of rotation as well. It was wild.

As far as the gymnastics go? I thought cartwheeling was a ridiculous example for dodging out of the way with gymnastics dodge. I always thought for dodgeing would be anything with a jump out of the way, like a John Woo sideways jump behind cover, or a tuck and roll out of the way akin to a judo roll. I even thought it might be a jump over a sweep or a one foot step off of the wall. I always thought that dodge as a skill would be a duck and run, or swing and sway out of the way dodge. More frantic and less acrobatic than gymnastics.

When I play a melee character, I will use my first pass with full gymnastics dodge to get behind cover or cover the distance between me and my target to drop him on the next pass. It's good for ranged "GTFO of the way moments." But when it comes to melee, I usually don't ever take dodge as a skill because I can use my unarmed combat to block, and then add Gymnastics for full gymnastics dodge in a real pinch. It just makes more sense from a BP and gymnastics versatility standpoint.

HOWEVER

keep in mind that when you used unarmed combat to block, it's just that. A block. The character didn't dodge out of the way and contact is still made to prevent the attack. Touch only spells, shock hands, and contact vector toxins are particularly brutal to a MA character using unarmed combat to block. The book doesn't say this per say (only that in the event of a tie, the defender wins, but contact is still made), but it was one of those things I had always assumed went with the downsizing of the skill set. I mean, from the real world perspective it makes sense, right?
Tyro
QUOTE (Remjin @ Nov 4 2008, 03:56 PM) *
Colored belts were introduced with the codification of modern Judo. It was meant as a way to easily match up people of the same skill/learning level. All that "old school white to black by blood sweat and tears" stuff is a lot of hooey. Belts hold your pants up, as the always entertaining Mr. Miyagi once said. rotate.gif Most of the time, colored belts are used nowadays as a way of getting another lump sum payment for continuing to keep a person in class.

True in many (perhaps most?) American schools, but not all. Some schools simply use them as an easy way to divide up training & pick training partners of appropriate skill levels. The way I learned it is, colored belts are learning the basics. You're learning the alphabet of martial arts. When you get your black belt, you have the basics down (though probably not mastered; that's different) and start learning to put those letters together into words.

In traditional Hapkido, each belt white-1st Dan (black) has a philosophical meaning attached to it. Most of it is progressive plant metaphors (planted seed, spring sprout, etc.). However, white belt and black belt are different. White belt means "open mind, ready to learn". Black belt means "open mind, ready to learn".

My school doesn't charge for belt tests. There's a suggested donation, but they ask you once and there's no pressure beyond that. The whole school is a family-run nonprofit (run by a husband-wife duo, their son and his wife and brother), and the main school is located about 50' from their house on their own property. They charge less or waive fees entirely for people with poor finances. One of the instructors has personally told me he'd rather I show up even if I can't pay. That's dedication for you.

That being said, I've seen the "McDojo" problem FAR more often than I'd like, down to a school adding multiple new belt colors to milk more money out of its students. Most modern martial arts strip out the philosophical side of their training, leaving only violence. I believe this to be unbalanced and to undermine the integrity of martial arts training. One should not teach people to fight unless one also teaches them how NOT to fight, and how to discriminate. The more martial arts I've learned, the better I've gotten at avoiding conflict entirely.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Cain @ Nov 5 2008, 05:55 AM) *
Back on topic, does gymnastics dodge have to be handflips and cartwheels?

There is a general description for Full Defense and a specific despription for Gymnastic Dodge.

So, yes, that's the thing that makes Gymnastic Dodge different.
Tyro
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Nov 5 2008, 02:31 AM) *
There is a general description for Full Defense and a specific despription for Gymnastic Dodge.

So, yes, that's the thing that makes Gymnastic Dodge different.

I would say anything in that vein, not just "handflips and cartwheels". Anything requiring extraordinary gymnastic ability - jumping up on a bar to avoid a charging troll comes to mind. Cinematic type stuff.
Cain
Tyro, if you're really in Kirkland, you're a short distance from one of the biggest McDojo's known: Temple Kung Fu. I heard that they may have been shut down recently, but if you google their history, you can see it for yourself.

Here's one example. Their founder, Olaf Simon, claims he was personally given an honorary 7th degree black belt by Ed Parker. This is so laughably false, the mind boggles. It's easy to get lists of every black belt Ed Parker ever gave out; and I can assure you, Olaf Simon is not on any of them.

Now, some good schools have McDojo-like programs, such as kid's classes. That doesn't mean their adult courses aren't of a high quality. But it does mean that you've got to watch carefully before you spend your money.
Tyro
I am indeed in North Kirkland; I used to live in Redmond, right on the Redmond-Kirkland border. I was once a student at Jungyae Moosul of Kirkland, and personally witnessed their (and Woodinville's) split from the Jungyae Moosul Fedaration and Do Ju Nim as his hunger for money overrode his desire to teach his students properly. They went from 24-hour black belt tests and mountain survival training you might expect to see in an Army program to 2 or 4 (I can't remember which) hour black belt tests, more belts, higher rates... you get the idea. Unfortunately, not all McDojo instructors are hacks. Do Ju Nim was taught by a traditional Korean master (I know the history of Tae Kwon Do, I know it's a relatively recent art, but there is such thing as a traditional master of the art). I have nothing but contempt for a man who would so squander his training.
Remjin
Maybe the martial arts discussion should be moved to an appropriate forum... =) I'd love to talk about it, but its taking this thread way off topic.
Fortune
So then, do you have a specific question concerning Gymnastics or Dodge?
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (TKDNinjaInBlack @ Nov 5 2008, 02:38 AM) *
Yeah, I know, but I was talking about "Never Back Down."

DOH!!!

Gawd, I even saw "Never Back Down". That's the one with the African actor playing the MMA instructor, right? What a horrendous movie that was. I like how in one scene the MMA instructor talks about how using a mouth guard is important, but for the whole rest of the film you see people taking all sorts of mouth-abuse but never get any tooth damage, while at the same time nobody is ever portrayed as wearing a mouthguard.

"No Retreat, No Surrender" was a better film. :3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdPKL1aAzn4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEDNx-JWuis

Tachi
Ok, my home computer is deceased, so I have been away from a computer for my two days off. Let's see; where do I start.... Oh, and by the way:

To all of you who don't care to read this unforgivably long post. Well, I apologize for writing it, kind of.

QUOTE (Remjin @ Nov 4 2008, 03:56 PM) *
In the age of the gun, fighting the old way is relatively less viable. Assuming a degree of authenticity, it is still done because it does still come up, it teaches you a lot about your body and conditions you to better respond under physical stress, and in certain climates is your only option as the tyrants continue to attempt to disarm us.

That's why I have a CCW. Careful, you might get me started on a "Pinko commies taking away my guns" rant. wobble.gif

You'll find that 95%+ of people in martial arts schools have very little interest in actual skill so much as the pride/ego aspects and otherwise. As Tachi mentioned, a lot of it is directed at sport, and if that's your goal then there's nothing wrong with it so long as you don't fool yourself into thinking you're learning to fight.

Remember, any exercise is good exercise, though.

I hate a lot of these modern martial people who say learning one style is stupid, so instead of being good at any one thing and then moving on to expand on what you've learned you have all these morons that just suck at a hodgepodge of techniques having mastered none but bludgeon their way through them all.

I've always been fond of the old Shaolin saying: I do not fear the ten-thousand kicks you have practiced once, I fear the one kick you have practiced ten-thousand times.

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Nov 4 2008, 05:43 PM) *
Lots of people nowadays go on a Walter Mitty trip studying "reality based self defense" which has all the WWII and Vietnam era eye gouges, neck breaks, and what have you. However, most of these people are fat, insecure, and can't fight worth a damn. And they like to go on and on over the internet about how "BJJ/MMA/wrestling/whatever doesn't work in t3h str33t" because the asphalt is invariably blanketed with broken glass and HIV-infected needles. The one guy on the internet who goes on the most about Applegate/Fairbain stuff in self defense situations is also a fat insecure dude with a chronic fear of the homeless. (If you want hilarity, PM me and I can try and find some links to this macaroon's stuff for you.) If we look at the results of training I would say that in the United States today combat sports produce more people who have actual hand to hand ability than "reality based" programs.

Walter Mitty? People always knock that "Glass in the street line". I have scars and needed nearly a hundred stitches. You can talk smack about that all you want, but I've had the blood running down my back. I would never suggest not training for when you are on the ground. Instead, I would suggest training for it, but concentrating on GETTING UP. You're too vulnerable on the ground.

BJJ and MMA aren't completely useless. They are great for teaching children he basics and training people for exciting fights on TV, good exercise too.

I learned CQC by being constantly beaten and humiliated by a retired Delta force instructor. Eventually you learn, just to stop the pain. That's my idea of "reality based". In most sport combat styles many of the more effective and dangerous techniques have been removed entirely to prevent someone from getting hurt in a match or tournament. This isn't entirely true across the board, but in many it is. In most of those cases the only way they'll teach them to you is if you're a 'black belt'. The main difference I've noticed between the martial arts I took as a kid and the actually useful stuff I learned later was the attitude of the lessons and instructors. The martial arts people taught "respect, honor, discipline" etc. Whereas the DF instructor taught me "Kill, Kill, Kill". I have gotten a great deal more use out of the stuff from the Delta guy than the other three, combined.

Keep in mind, also, that you'll usually learn more from a great teacher of bad techniques than a bad teacher of the best techniques.

Besides for eye gouges and testicle rips, a lot of the techniques in modern combative sports are very similar to the older "deadly" techniques found in traditional martial arts or old military combatives programs. Joints are more likely to break when you twist them certain ways or apply certain types of leverage, and an arm bar you see in a modern MMA competition isn't fundamentally different in terms of mechanics than a "combatives-style" attempt to break the elbow by forcing the arm with similar motions or with a strike as opposed to steady pressure so the other guy can tap out. The fallacy is to assume that someone who practices an arm bar frequently in a sport setting is magically incapable of executing the arm bar with more force and violence if his life is on the line to attempt an immediate arm break, whereas someone who learned some combatives elbow break will magically always be able to do so under stress. It's also fallacious to think that because MMA matches tend to go on for a long time that a MMA-trained grappler could not apply his submission/joint destruction techniques quickly, especially against a less skilled opponent. If you've ever grappled with someone who doesn't know how to defend against submissions, BAM, you can get the techniques on them almost immediately.

As far as eye gouges and testicle rips go, isn't it a clear logical fallacy to think that someone who is sport or MMA trained magically can't decide to use them in a life-and-death situation, whereas someone who went through 1950s commando hand to hand combat training will automatically succeed with his eye gouges and testicle rips whenever he attempts them against a fit, skilled, fully aggressive opponent? Wouldn't it be easier to get into the position to pluck out someone's eyes or crush his genitalia if you had a high degree of athleticism than if you were weak, or if you had a broad body of supplemental skills and techniques besides for just the "t00 d34dly f0r t3h r1ng buy my self-defense video because it has eye gouges" stuff?

I'd also point out the advantages of "alive" training in any kind of martial arts activity. If you practice on a regular basis against competent, athletic, fully-resisting opponents you will be better at making your techniques actually happen than if the only thing you do is contemplate ball crushing all day and maybe do it in the air a little bit.

Almost 10 years ago now, I trained in classical jujitsu with an instructor who was ex-military. He taught spinal destruction, some old military HTH techniques, limb breaking, etc, all the "reality" stuff. He was a skilled, tough individual in phenominal shape and really was influential in my life. Be that as it may, I absolutely sucked at fighting back then compared to today, when I've spent the intervening years engaged in various combative sports such as judo and kickboxing. This is because even though my head was filled with all sorts of nasty techniques, I hadn't had enough practice against fully resisting opponents to be able to make them work against people who knew what they were doing. The first time I experimented with grappling against a BJJ player none of my techniques worked because the BJJer could always get out of them whereas I could not escape any of his techniques because he was too good at applying them to a resisting opponent. If I got into a fight with a version of me from 10 years ago who was less athletic and whose head was filled with all the "deadly" stuff, I'd totally be able to destroy the old version of myself using all "sport" techniques because my overall level of skill in actually making the techniques work is a lot higher now. Remember, the only difference between a shoulder lock submission and a traditional shoulder breaking technique is how quickly and violently you crank the arm. The only difference between a neck crank submission and an attempt at a combatives-style neck breaker is intent, and slight variations in the directions you try to force the head and neck.

Yes, that's right, the techniques are 'similar', not the same, sport techniques concentrate on "I'm gonna press your elbow until you give up" which is different than "I'm gonna destroy your arm and move on to the next limb". Or, "I'm gonna knock you out" versus "I'm gonna KILL YOU!" Yes. someone who trains for one may be able to do both, but that's not necessarily true all the time, in my experience, the difference is usually in the attitude. The one you train for will be the one you to automatically fall back on in a real fight. Which is why the best are always saying "train how you fight", be they talking about H-2-H, firearms practice, playing football, whatever.... If you train for sport combat, and actually think about it as 'sport', that's what your really prepared yourself for, unless you have the mental attitude and preparedness to make the switch. Most sport combat schools don't teach that these days. Keep in mind, a person can train to kill with sport combat.

As I said before, my main gripe is the attitude difference between the two, and the difference in how the fighter will approach the encounter that will cause. And, keep in mind that, obviously, someone who has practiced ANY technique for 10 years is going to have an advantage over the guy who only (as you call it) "contemplate ball crushing all day and maybe do it in the air a little bit," which makes you're argument a kind of fallacy itself, as you keep comparing the "video taught" couch potaoes to those of us with live training. It's when you have serious people who actually train hard that the difference between the attitudes they are taught during training really comes to the forefront.

I don't see that we really disagree on fundamentals, and, what we do disagree on seems to be what everyone argues about. Somehow, given the number of years this debate has gone on, I doubt that either you or I are going to give the definitive argument that ends all debate. biggrin.gif

BJJ =/= MMA.

Your right. I should have clarified my position a little better. I was referring to sport combat in general and should have said so directly.

I could just as readily point you to some military people who think Applegate, SCARS, LINE, etc is garbage, and who would emphasize the importance of "alive" training as discussed above. I'm not even joking or being snarky...I mean that in a totally neutral, serious, and statement-of-fact way.

I'm well aware of them. The problem is the BS about CQC told to people on the videos you so despise. It is not any more possible to 'learn' CQC in "just a few minutes a day" than it is possible to learn particle physics that way. Meaning, it is possible, but it'll take ten times as long and, like you said, you'll never be as good as someone who has had another person to resist the techniques.

When the military trains soldiers they rarely concentrate on unarmed combat for more that a few hours during the entirety of training these days. In the days of WWII the raw material they had to work with was usually already more aware of how to defend themselves than many people today. They had usually already mastered the basics of timing and distance just as a necessity of survival. That's not as true today according to many of the military people I know. According to them, that's why they've switched to a "few basic techniques anyone can learn". Though, given the extremely short amount of time they concentrate on unarmed combat I'm not really sure it makes much difference. frown.gif

Knives are a whole other ball of wax, because competent use of a knife is superior to hand to hand combat. If you want to say that using a knife in a competent way is superior to any empty-hand martial art or combative sport of your choice you would be correct. But that's an entirely seperate issue whether fantasizing about eye gouges and groin ripping all day makes you a better fighter than actually sparring a lot.

The DF instructor that taught me always said the the only real difference between unarmed melee combat and armed melee combat is: whether the weapon your attacking has a pulse or not, and the amount of damage you'll receive if you make a mistake. I was mostly referring to the fact that I prefer to lead the encounter with an attitude of "peace through superior firepower". But, yeah, I know what you mean.

QUOTE ( @ Nov 4 2008, 08:55 PM) *
Odds are, you'll never have to *really* fight an expert in your life; and nowadays, it's possible to go through your entire life without ever being in a single fight. For those that do, it's more likely to be some drunken idiot in a bar than a fight to the death against a ninja master. Training to handle a drunk in a bar, and run away from anything else, is far safer and more practical than trying to slug it out against an army of McNinja's.

Agreed. There is nothing wrong with knocking someone down, then running like hell.
Blade
QUOTE (Tachi @ Nov 7 2008, 11:17 AM) *
The DF instructor that taught me always said the the only real difference between unarmed melee combat and armed melee combat is: whether the weapon your attacking has a pulse or not, and the amount of damage you'll receive if you make a mistake. I was mostly referring to the fact that I prefer to lead the encounter with an attitude of "peace through superior firepower". But, yeah, I know what you mean.

I don't know the first thing about combat - I've only practiced Judo as a child (and wasn't very good at it, it just taught me that strength does actually matter), done a little savate and got punched once - but I've heard that there's a huge difference between someone with a knife and someone without it, because even a short knife will get you a better reach and because even small hits will be dangerous.
Tachi
QUOTE (Blade @ Nov 7 2008, 03:41 AM) *
I don't know the first thing about combat - I've only practiced Judo as a child (and wasn't very good at it, it just taught me that strength does actually matter), done a little savate and got punched once - but I've heard that there's a huge difference between someone with a knife and someone without it, because even a short knife will get you a better reach and because even small hits will be dangerous.

That's true. But he taught me that you always attack the weapon, whether they are using their body or an actual weapon. If it's a real weapon you just have to neutralize it before you neutralize their body; instead of going directly for the body. He also said that if you really think about the difference it'll create fear where there usually would be none, and that would make you hesitate where a unarmed attacker would not. I think he meant that it's mostly a difference of mental preparation. I could be wrong.
Fortune
A counter-argument is that combatants who are wielding a weapon tend to actually try to use that weapon at the expense of other options, while unarmed combatants are not quite as predictable, having more ready weapons at hand (or at least psychologically available).
Tachi
QUOTE (Fortune @ Nov 7 2008, 04:04 AM) *
A counter-argument is that combatants who are wielding a weapon tend to actually try to use that weapon at the expense of other options, while unarmed combatants are not quite as predictable, having more ready weapons at hand (or at least psychologically available).

That's very true. I've been guilty of that during the only two knife fights I've been in. I was fairly surprised, and disappointed in myself, when one of my friends pointed it out.
TKDNinjaInBlack
QUOTE (Blade @ Nov 7 2008, 04:41 AM) *
(on Judo) it just taught me that strength does actually matter.

That's true fore every martial art though. In any kind of combat scenario (sport, life or death, war) strength and training are what will save you. I'm not necessarily talking about physical strength, but rather getting out of your martial art what you put in. This all of course ties back to what it sounds like what we are commonly agreeing on.

Martial arts movements by themselves inherently have little value. But, you'll get out of those movements what you put into them when you practice. If you just punch and kick at the air, that's what you'll be good at. If you get into a fight, you'll be rudely surprised when you either A) can't hit your evasive target in a precise point to do good damage, or B) realize that hitting something solid like a person's body is kind of jarring and since you've practiced punching and kicking in the air, your balance and strength aren't ready for that kind of resistance in the technique. You'll probably be knocked off balance as much as they are. Also C) will happen which is you'll probably hurt your hand a bit because most people don't condition their striking surfaces for actual contact unless they do a lot of bare knuckle bag work.

But, if you put in all sorts of extra good practice (ie Solid bag work emphasizing striking for power while not hurting yourself and not losing balance to achieve moving the back and not yourself) then that'll show up in a fight. You'll be good at striking. You'll hit hard and probably not hurt yourself. But, if YOU take a blow and are completely taken off guard by being hit, all that bag work doesn't count for anything.

That means that in order to learn good defense against an attacker, you need to practice lots of good defense. Usually a lot of people do scenario based defense, but I think sparring is a far better means to learning this because it is a lot more free form and truer to life. However if you practice sparring in a "below the neck, above the belt" fashion, in a fight when someone comes for your head, you'll be taken off guard. That's why MMA fighters and BJJ guys brag about why all other martial arts suck in the Ultimate Fight ring. It only sucks because most of the practitioners haven't ever trained for that spearing tackle as an offensive maneuver that they'll have to defend against. It comes, they go down and then they get submitted.

But, one can train for all of these situations in lots of different ways. When you're sparring in whatever manner of combinations and rules, if you treat it as a sporting even that is completely non threatening, that one time someone is coming for your life, chances are you won't be able to make that mental jump to "life or death FIGHT or FLIGHT." You'll probably take it in the same sporting manner, or if you come the the realization that it is serious, might actually cower up a little bit and hesitate. That's where I think some traditional Martial Arts (and I do mean TRADITIONAL) have an advantage in their training. Some of them (I can speak for my school, but haven't seen any others in the area) try to instill that level of mean killer instinct and deadly seriousness that should fall upon the practitioner when using the techniques. When the majority of us upper ranks practice at my school, we take it deadly seriously. Even when we spar, we aim to kill with our technique, but we aim inches shy off our partner so we don't hurt each other.

Where I am going with this is where you've probably already deduced. You really do get what you put in. Mental, Physical and Spiritual. If you physically train to hit things and condition your body not just to dish pain out, but take it and block attacks, you'll probably do fine. If you train your mind to sport fight, you'll get owned when someone tries to kill you. If you train to kill with your technique, chances are you'll probably lack the restraint to leave your opponent breathing if your life is in danger. If you believe in the spiritual satisfaction of training and achieving more perfect technique each time you train, chances are you'll try to achieve perfection in all areas of your life.

Technique is irrelevant. All techniques can be deadly. It's the practitioner's attitude and physical conditioning that make techniques deadly. A school's worth isn't to be judged on what techniques they show, but the ability of the instructor to make his students understand this concept and motivate them to put into their art what they want out of it.
Mr. Unpronounceable
So...has anyone mentioned that you can specialize dodge(ranged) by the RAW, while you'd need an extremely permissive GM to allow the same for gymnastics? A good 4 dice advantage on full dodges is not a bad thing - especially when the enemy starts throwing wide bursts.
Fortune
Technically, it is only a two-dice advantage. Specializations are Dice Pool modifiers, and as such are not calculated into the basic Pool (Attribute + Skill + Skill in the case of Full Defense), but rather are added later, exactly the same as other modifiers such as Friends In Melee or Wound penalties.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012