Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cybercrap
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
The Grifter
What's the worst piece of cyberware you can think of, and why?
Req
CP202x' Cyberpillow. It's a little pillow in your forearm that inflates on neural command with a CO2 cartridge or something, so you can always be ready for a good night's sleep even on those long, lonely stakeouts.

CP is mad wack.
Herald of Verjigorm
DNI garage door opener. The DNI universal remote control actually makes some sense, but a specific garage door opener...
Grey
The cyber peg-leg and hook hand. I mean... seriously... that should not EVEN cost essence. SO LAME!
Bölverk
QUOTE (Grey)
The cyber peg-leg and hook hand.  I mean... seriously... that should not EVEN cost essence.  SO LAME!

Nah - they cost essence because unlike their non-cyber equivalents, they have primitive neural connections, so they aren't as clumsy.

My vote goes to cyberhorns. Who on earth actually uses such a thing? And who paid for the R&D, and why?
Diesel
Retractable weapon arms. That's just stupidfly, who the hell needs ANOTHER LMG?
Siege
QUOTE (Bölverk)
QUOTE (Grey)
The cyber peg-leg and hook hand.  I mean... seriously... that should not EVEN cost essence.  SO LAME!

Nah - they cost essence because unlike their non-cyber equivalents, they have primitive neural connections, so they aren't as clumsy.

My vote goes to cyberhorns. Who on earth actually uses such a thing? And who paid for the R&D, and why?

The Blue Devils go-gang probably. grinbig.gif

-Siege
mfb
cyberlimbs, period. cost for benefit, they're not worth the paper their stats are printed on to their target market (ie, mainly sams). i can see a decker or rigger getting one to hold his deck in, but that's about it.
Phaeton
QUOTE (mfb)
cyberlimbs, period. cost for benefit, they're not worth the paper their stats are printed on to their target market (ie, mainly sams). i can see a decker or rigger getting one to hold his deck in, but that's about it.

Hey, I got a pair for my rigger/sam, but they were forearm limbs. Beside, if you get a pair of limbs, you get Bod score bonuses. cyber.gif
Fresno Bob
Speaking of cyberlimbs, do you suppose you could get cyberfingers? Good for yakuza members who screw up a lot. I think they'd probably take like, .1-2 essence, and have no benefits, aside from maybe being able to put something in it.
GoldenAri

A friend of mine had a character (a mage even...) that saw himself as a devil. Had cyberhorns, unretractable hand razors, balance tail, altered pigmentation (red). But yeah, I thought that even that was lame.
Siege
Why the frag do cyberhorns cost essence though? They're not jacked into your nervous system -- hell, it seems like they'd be more along the lines of bioware.

-Siege
Fresno Bob
Yeah, I wondered that myself. They shouldn't cost anything. In fact, theres people today who have (kind of) horns implanted in their heads.
Siege
QUOTE (Voorhees)
Yeah, I wondered that myself. They shouldn't cost anything. In fact, theres people today who have (kind of) horns implanted in their heads.

Yeah, body piercing to an extreme.

It's a good thing SR doesn't have cyberpsychosis. grinbig.gif

-Siege
John Campbell
Cyberhorns and the like are really handy. They let you pick the lamers and wannabees out of the lineup at a glance.
Rev
Heh well peglegs and hook hands are usefull for something. I have a charachter (someday I shall play this charachter!) that took one of each in order to get a full cyberbody for <1 mil without running out of essence. Sure the charachter sucks combat-wise but oh well.

You can throw them on for flavor too, at least they are cheap.
Fortune
QUOTE (Voorhees)
Speaking of cyberlimbs, do you suppose you could get cyberfingers? Good for yakuza members who screw up a lot.

They'd have to be detachable in that case. It wouldn't be good to wear them around the Oyoban, or anyone else with authority in the Yakuza.

There are already Fingertip Compartments that are actually partial Cyberfingers.
Cray74
QUOTE (John Campbell)
Cyberhorns and the like are really handy. They let you pick the lamers and wannabees out of the lineup at a glance.

Heh.

I think the Cyber pillow definitely approaches "most useless cyberware" in any cyberpunk game. In SR, horns, "jolt alert", (Jolt Alert: easily replaced with an eye display, display or vid link, that strobes lights under your eyelids and has a few more uses besides.), and that eye clock (for the same essence, get a low-rated Math SPU and its built-in clock) are definitely up there.

Cyberlimbs have some use. They're functional replacements for people who don't have the time to get a clonal replacement, and they can store reasonable quantities of high-essence gear like cyberdecks, tactical computers, and nanite hives (I used to use a...cyberfoot, I think...to hold a nanosymbiote hive, at least until I found out how useless nanosymbiotes were in comparison to natural symbiotes).

Mongoose
Cyber Horns seem like they should have some storage capacity. They wouldn't be so dumb if you could put stuff like communications gear or cameras or concealed monowhips inside them. Potentially good spot to store a chip-juke, as well.
The Grifter
My vote definately goes to the oral whip. What a freakin piece of crap. I mean, come on, a whip that's built into your mouth? That's just stupid. Unless maybe you're an armless cattle rustler or something. Well, maybe you could make your enemy die from laughing after seeing you uncoil a whip outta your mouth and start swinging your head around like you're at a Motley Crue concert.
Phaeton
Some people with bizarre fetishes pro'lly have a use for the thing, though. wink.gif biggrin.gif eek.gif dead.gif rotfl.gif
Siege
It's like the cybersnake weapon system.

They need an "ick" smiley. grinbig.gif

-Siege
Ancient History
Oral Spur. A kiss before dying, perhaps?
CanvasBack
I vote the eye-gun.

Seriously, how in the hell would you ever get good at using something like that without destroying your hearing or putting a permanent crick in your neck? And how long would you survive if you had to use it all the time and forgo binocular vision until you can re-load?

Yes, I know that some proponents will claim that in certain circumstances a hidden cyber-weapon like this could tip the balance. To this I say, if you're in such a circumstance, you've done something wrong.

Hidden weapons in limbs, that's one thing. Hidden guns in parts of your face, kinda pressing the wacky thresh-hold.
Phaeton
QUOTE (Siege)
It's like the cybersnake weapon system.

They need an "ick" smiley. grinbig.gif

-Siege

You mean the eek.gif coupled with dead.gif isn't good enough? grinbig.gif
Tanka
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Oral Spur. A kiss before dying, perhaps?

Somebody I know played a character who hated most men. She would lure them to somewhere private, and since she was short, would tilt her head up as if going for a kiss (just the right angle to...), and instead... Slice! Oral Spur through the mouth.

I wonder how steel (or whatever it's made of) tastes, anyway? grinbig.gif
The Grifter
So, unless you're the Make-Out Murderer, Oral Spurs are just gay. But the oral whip tops them. Completely useless.
Fortune
QUOTE (The Grifter @ Dec 31 2003, 05:17 PM)
So, unless you're the Make-Out Murderer, Oral Spurs are just gay.

Gay people can be Make-Out Murderers too!
Phaeton
Question: If you're a hermaphrodite, wouldn't it be impossible to be heterosexual? I mean, you're both a guy AND a girl, so...
sidekick
Non Retractable Cyber-Spurs.... who wants to run around with a set of foot long blades sticking out of their hand ALL THE TIME.

Same goes for Non-Retracting Cyber Skates, what sort of moron is always skating?

Cyber-Hooks and Peg Legs are pretty up there also in suck factor.

Oh....Dermal Sheath with Ruthenium. You have to be friggin naked with no items on to use it! (You would also have to be bald, and have like a ruthenium speedo to cover certain dangly bits)
Phaeton
Hey, Lt. Kusinagi didn't seem to mind that! biggrin.gif ...Then again, Masamune Shirow is a weirdo... eek.gif

...And no one answered my hermaphrodite question yet... frown.gif
ChuckThorson
hey rev you didnt have to get a peg leg or hook hand to go full cyber for under a mil. you can get torso skull 2 arms and 2 legs for under a mill and 6pts of essence
hell and you can have room for a few other things as well......

used alphaware is your friend!!!!
GoldenAri
I forgot about the oral whip.

"Don't get within a foot of me, your you might get a bruise!"
Arz
QUOTE (sidekick)
Non Retractable Cyber-Spurs.... who wants to run around with a set of foot long blades sticking out of their hand ALL THE TIME.

Same goes for Non-Retracting Cyber Skates, what sort of moron is always skating?

The straight-up versions are for image purposes.
As for the skates, who needs to retract when you can remove your whole foot. I love swapping out my cyberlimbs for special purposes.
Skate or Die!

Most Useless is the cybercranium and torso. All you can put into these things are armor and horns. Plus they are awful expensive.
fourstring_samurai
Most Useless is the cybercranium and torso. All you can put into these things are armor and horns. Plus they are awful expensive

the funny thing about the skull and torso, even the chromed up guys in my group cringe at the thought of getting those "implanted". its just too hardcore. one thing that suprised me on the skull was the option for an obvious version (i think i saw it on the board). that's just plain freaky, and WAY too hardcore. cyber.gif
sidekick
IIRC doesn't the cyber cranium cancel the damage modifier for headshots? Ie, no inceased damage level? It's that's the case, then it's ain't too shaby. Also, you can get armor on your head... it may not look pretty, but it will soak that slug you took to it.

As for non-retracting Spurs.... sure it's great for image, until you roll over in your sleep and skewer yourself, not to mention they would get in the way all the time.

Tanka
Cybersheathes, duh!
The Grifter
Nonretractable Cyber-Spurs= Cheap Baraka rip-off.

Cyber skates are just fraggin gay and lame, retractable or not.
Kagetenshi
Can we stop using the word "gay" as an insult before we have to flame you out of existence?
And remember, there are no headshots in canon, just "called shots" which depending on GM whim could be to the liver, spine, heart, head, crotch, femoral artery, or throat.

~J
Fresno Bob
Femoral artery shots are nasty. You bleed to death in like, what, 5 minutes when its severed? Arg.

Useless Cyber=Anything that goes in the mouth. Like the oral gun, it goes on the roof of your mouth, and has to descend past your teeth. Thusly, you'd feel weird every time your mouth was shut. Not to mention the impeding of eating.
Grey
I have to disagree about retractable cyber skates being lame. One, they add a nice flavor to a character, and two, running away at a 6 running multiplier comes in real handy.
The Grifter
Kagetenshi Posted on Dec 31 2003, 01:34 PM
  Can we stop using the word "gay" as an insult before we have to flame you out of existence?

Whatever. But if I did offend you, I'm sorry.

Mongoose
If non-retractable cyber skates mounted on a removable cyberlimb are so useful, why isn;t thate an option to buy (gasp) SKATES. Gee, its a non retractable SHOE with WHEELS, and you can REMOVE THE SHOE...

Much of the silly cyber stuff really should be avaialble as silly NON cyber stuff, because then it would be a lot less silly.

Want some non-retractable blades, a balance tail, and an articulated weapon mount? Build those into special armored harnesses, since you don't have neural control of them anyhow...
Hasaku
The cybertail is wired into your nervous system, that's how it moves with you to maintain your balance.
Snake Oil
I've had a character (a Face) that's used the Oral Slasher before. It's a handy weapon for characters with low Strength scores yet who want to take advantage of the concealability of cybernetic weaponry. 6M damage with a Quickness-linked skill and an Availability of 8 is pretty nice, especially when combined with a Venom Sack. Even Stun Batons rely on Strength for the related skill.

My vote for the most useless piece of cyberware is the Cranial Cyberdeck. It's grossly overpriced and you have to undergo brain surgery every time you want to upgrade it. You're far better off just getting a Synthetic Cyberlimb and building your deck inside it.

Beyond that, some other lame items include non-retractable Cyber Fangs (why they cost Essence is beyond me), Magnetic System (since the rules even state that they're fairly useless most of the time) and Retinal Duplication (only because of the way the rules work regarding them).
sidekick
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
And remember, there are no headshots in canon, just "called shots" which depending on GM whim could be to the liver, spine, heart, head, crotch, femoral artery, or throat.

~J

Yeah, I know the the wacky called shot rules, but read rules for a CyberSkull

M&M 28
CyberSkulls also reduce the damage level of called shots to the head by one level (in effect, they cancel out the called shot Damage Level Bonus)

Seems to me, at least according to the cyber skull description, head shots are possible. So yeah, Cyber Skulls aren't too bad, they also protect headware from taking stress.
Kagetenshi
Just because something counters a thing doesn't mean the thing being countered exists wink.gif
But yeah. Another case of the designers mixing their metapfhors.

~J
Rattler
Just out of curiosity, where does it say that the GM, rather than the player, chooses the location that the character is making a called shot to? I've always thought that you could call a shot to the head, even if it wouldn't be an instakill or bypass armor or anything like that.

Edit: Nevermind, I just reread the rules in SR3 and I can see where you're coming from. Doesn't make much sense, but the whole thing was messed up to begin with.
RedmondLarry
Yes, Rattler, the main book does not indicate that the player selects a location when doing a Called Shot to a person, instead the player simply indicates it is a "Called Shot". GMs have taken to using "flavor text" when a Called Shot to a person succeeds with a deadly wound by describing the results as "gaping wound to the heart" or "half the head blown away". The main book does, however, describe selecting a location when doing a called shot against a part of something vehicle-sized or larger.

The notion of doing a Called Shot to a specific location on a person, with limited effects, is introduced in the Cannon Companion (p. 85 advanced melee rule), Man and Machine (p. 35 cyberware body plating), and Man and Machine (p. 106 exposure to chemical weapons).

The Shadowrun FAQ (http://www.shadowrunrpg.com/resources/faq.shtml) adds the notion of a called shot to a specific location to the rules of the main book. Several people on these boards dislike this FAQ ruling, or dislike its wording, and the FAQ is treated with less regard compared to new printings of the books.
Rattler
Much obliged.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012