Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cybercrap
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Rev
QUOTE (ChuckThorson)
hey rev you didnt have to get a peg leg or hook hand to go full cyber for under a mil. you can get torso skull 2 arms and 2 legs for under a mill and 6pts of essence
hell and you can have room for a few other things as well......

used alphaware is your friend!!!!

Isnt it exactly six essence for head, torso, arm, arm, leg, leg?

Have to replace eyes and ears too. That brings you to 6.5. :0

And then get a couple peices of ware that don't suck. In my case it was some techy type bioware. Cerebral booster, encephalon, datajack maybe? Can't remember exactly. Anyway I didn't have enough cash to alpha enough of the cyberlimbs so had to go with a hook hand and knee or hip length leg.

Basically a technician charachter who wasted about 600k smile.gif
ChuckThorson
QUOTE (Rev)
QUOTE (ChuckThorson @ Dec 31 2003, 03:09 PM)
hey rev  you didnt have to get a peg leg or hook hand to go full cyber for under a mil.  you can get torso skull 2 arms and 2 legs for under a mill and 6pts of essence
hell and you can have room for a few other things as well......

used alphaware is your friend!!!!

Isnt it exactly six essence for head, torso, arm, arm, leg, leg?

Have to replace eyes and ears too. That brings you to 6.5. :0

And then get a couple peices of ware that don't suck. In my case it was some techy type bioware. Cerebral booster, encephalon, datajack maybe? Can't remember exactly. Anyway I didn't have enough cash to alpha enough of the cyberlimbs so had to go with a hook hand and knee or hip length leg.

Basically a technician charachter who wasted about 600k smile.gif

thats why you get used alphaware.. same price as normal street ware with the essence reduction of alpha.. sure you have a few perm. stress points but that just gives ya somethign to shoot for so take that 6.5 figure and x.8=5.2! for the same nuyen price.. of course its a little battered but hey thats what makes it fun wink.gif
Sphynx
The biggest waste of cyber is any communication cyber. Seriously, a Datajack and an external transducer connected to external communication, and for 0.16 essence, you can be linked to a microtransciever, a pocket secretary, a wrist phone, etc, etc and have nice quiet communication without a waste of precious essence. I have the hardest time believing it when I see a character sheet with cyber-communication.

Sphynx
Rev
Yep that would work well for the character also, but might take me into optional rules.

The hook hand and peg leg give a similar but slightly different battered effect.

He was blown to smithereens in a laboratory "accident" and so heavily damaged that full cyberlimbs could not even be installed on one side of his body (minor brain damage).

This happens in a cyber research facility, so they save him. The man who caused the explosion is going to kill him, but he escapes.

Another cool story would be if people in the lab saved him without that guys knowledge, but had to use scrounged parts to do so (thus used alphaware).
Sahandrian
Cyber-implant horns are only loserware if you do it wrong. I've made a character with the demonic look (obvious cyberskull and some horns) before, and I think it worked pretty well.

I personaly consider Most Useless to be anything involving a monowhip.

Even communications cyber has some use without cutting your own hand off.
fourstring_samurai
one of our team's sams had a thumbtip compartment with a monowhip(ala johnny m). he was made during 2nd ed times, so "armed combat" meant anything, including whips. it got the team out of trouble on several occasions, including one where the sam was unconscious and they held his limp form on one side of an open doorway and the thumbtip on the other, creating a practically invisible trap for the npcs after the team.
Kagetenshi
Monowhips can be extremely useful as long as you're creative enough to use them as more than direct weapons.

~J
Fresno Bob
Hey, regarding monowire, what do you suppose would happen if a motorcycle hit a line of it at about mid-tire level? Would it get but in half, or would the monowire break?
Kagetenshi
GM's decision. There's no canon breaking strength for monowire, so it depends on how cool you think the stuff is. I personally think it's quite cool, though it would depend on what the bike was made of. It might just skid up and shave off the controls and seat.

~J
Fresno Bob
It would at least split the front tire and disable the bike. Monowire is pretty cool. The only thing I think is weird is how grabbing it is an S wound. Sure, it would cut off your fingers, and damn that would hurt like hell, but its easily survivable.
BitBasher
The biggest waste of cyber is any communication cyber. Seriously, a Datajack and an external transducer connected to external communication, and for 0.16 essence, you can be linked to a microtransciever, a pocket secretary, a wrist phone, etc, etc and have nice quiet communication without a waste of precious essence. I have the hardest time believing it when I see a character sheet with cyber-communication.
I disagree completely. It's communication that cannot be taken away, you dont have somehting obvious plugged into your datajack... It doesn't get banged around or lost... Heck with a transducer someone doesn't even know you are communicating at all. Stealth can be worth a LOT of points in a lot of circumstances.

With the monowire, it won't cut somethign with a parrier rating of 5 or higher, which the metal front forks on a bike should definitely be made of... I would therefore rule that it would strip off the entire front tire, or destroy it at the very least. It would then snap when it got stressed by the forks. The bike is then kind of screwed and I think it would be an immediate crash test.

On a side note do you know how much it would cost to stretch monowire across a street?? 2 lanes with shoulder parking on both sides is about 12 meters, add one meter for the distance to a lightpole or solid object to anchor it to, 13 meters... at 3,000 a meter, the standard cost, is 39,000 bucks to pull off that stunt.
Fresno Bob
You could always use obstacles to channel the bike into a more narrow area.
Sahandrian
Or just shoot the rider.
Fresno Bob
What's the fun in that?
fourstring_samurai
how about shooting him with monowire?
Fresno Bob
Kinky.
Kagetenshi
Bolo rounds!

~J
Fresno Bob
Or that gun that was in the sequel to the book Virtual Light, the Chaingun.
Diesel
Not the word I would have thought of.
Fresno Bob
Perhaps, but I'm not you.

Unless....
Kagetenshi
Mmm, chainguns...

~J
fourstring_samurai
whoa, virtual light had a sequel?

Fresno Bob
Yeah, there were a couple. Or maybe there was one. One was called All Tomorrow's Parties, and I think there might be another one, unless I'm mistaken.
Sphynx
QUOTE (BitBasher)
I disagree completely. It's communication that cannot be taken away, you dont have somehting obvious plugged into your datajack...

You make it sound like there's a huge computer sticking out of a person's head. nyahnyah.gif

If you don't want it seen, put the datajack in your forearm and a short wire to your wrist communication device. Seriously, the mega essence cost for the communications is just not worth it. 0.75 for a radio??? +0.30 to be able to 'switch channels'? 0.5 for a telephone? I could agree if the essence made a bit more sense, like 0.1 per item, but there's no way to convince anyone that wasting 1.66+ essence to have 'stealth' conversations is worth it when you can do the same thing for 0.16 and be just as stealthy and save 1.5 for more important stuff.

Sphynx
Fresno Bob
You could also have an induction datajack, or even an eye datajack. Eye datajacks would be obvious when you use them, but you could hide the port in a hurry.
fourstring_samurai
One was called All Tomorrow's Parties, and I think there might be another one, unless I'm mistaken.

i found it. its called Idoru. smile.gif
leemur
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Bolo rounds!

~J

I presume you mean bola rounds. biggrin.gif

Although the idea of a gun that shoots out huge tanks is appealing.....
Fresno Bob
Ah yes. I have no idea whether or not I've read Idoru. Probably not.
Kagetenshi
No, I meant bolo rounds. If they can drop a pillbox before they hit, so much the better smile.gif

~J
fourstring_samurai
or did you mean bolo young, the guy who played the villain in Bloodsport? biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
Kill the builder! Kill the builder!

~J
BlackSmith
display link.
at year +2050 people should have figured out that wihtout images you are geting only quater of the info. why this was introduced?

thank god there is image link.
Kagetenshi
If your job only requires you to get constant text input, that's all you'll be given. GUIs on computers are a luxury, imagelinks as opposed to display links equally so.

~J
GoldenAri
I though that holographic GUI was the standard. The concept of text based computer interaction was pretty well obsolete in the 2060s
toturi
QUOTE (GoldenAri)
I though that holographic GUI was the standard. The concept of text based computer interaction was pretty well obsolete in the 2060s

Considering how many people use cyber terms and the lack of datajacks in most of the population... I think text based is not soooo obsolete.
Kagetenshi
I was actually referring to GUIs today, but it applies in the future as well.

~J
Siege
QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (GoldenAri @ Jan 3 2004, 10:30 AM)
I though that holographic GUI was the standard.  The concept of text based computer interaction was pretty well obsolete in the 2060s

Considering how many people use cyber terms and the lack of datajacks in most of the population... I think text based is not soooo obsolete.

At 1k a pop, I don't think it's gonna be recreational for the majority of the population.

Although it may become more popular among younger generations if you believe in the technology curve.

-Siege
GoldenAri

symbolics, speech recognition and synthesis, and 'trode rigs.
Zazen
QUOTE (Sphynx)
If you don't want it seen, put the datajack in your forearm and a short wire to your wrist communication device. Seriously, the mega essence cost for the communications is just not worth it. 0.75 for a radio??? +0.30 to be able to 'switch channels'? 0.5 for a telephone? I could agree if the essence made a bit more sense, like 0.1 per item, but there's no way to convince anyone that wasting 1.66+ essence to have 'stealth' conversations is worth it when you can do the same thing for 0.16 and be just as stealthy and save 1.5 for more important stuff.

You can't really be just as stealthy with that wire sticking out of your neck, and your gear can be confiscated, destroyed, or stolen. I've had characters and NPCs use headware transducers and phones to call after being captured (and stripped of gear) by bugs, gangs, yaks, etc. I've had someone make the call for backup while being questioned by cops just in case they found the coke in the trunk. It sure helped, man.

Where it really belongs is in a cyberlimb, though. A few DNI connections and you've saved an awful lot of essense, and you're also less susceptible to a headjammer (IMO) since it's all in your thigh or forearm or whatever.
Siege
I have to wonder though, since this kind of tech does exist -- wouldn't cops and interested parties have means of monitoring and perhaps intercepting or outright jamming such types of commo?

-Siege
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Siege)
I have to wonder though, since this kind of tech does exist -- wouldn't cops and interested parties have means of monitoring and perhaps intercepting or outright jamming such types of commo?

Cyberware comms are exactly like any other radios and phones in principle, aren't they? So they can be intercepted and jammed just like any other types of commo.

Gangs and yaks (in many cases) wouldn't do this, though, and nor would cops be likely to while they are simply questioning someone. Inside a police station, it would be noticed immediately, and unless decently encrypted or otherwise made difficult to listen in on, it would also be intercepted and the message checked. Same if captured by corp security forces in a mid-level or higher facility.
Phaeton
QUOTE (Voorhees)
Hey, regarding monowire, what do you suppose would happen if a motorcycle hit a line of it at about mid-tire level? Would it get but in half, or would the monowire break?

I was planning on giving my rigger/sam's bike grapple line launcher's with monowire cable. Lariat, anyone? biggrin.gif
Phaeton
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (Siege)

Cyberware comms are exactly like any other radios and phones in principle, aren't they? So they can be intercepted and jammed just like any other types of commo.

Gangs and yaks (in many cases) wouldn't do this, though, and nor would cops be likely to while they are simply questioning someone. Inside a police station, it would be noticed immediately, and unless decently encrypted or otherwise made difficult to listen in on, it would also be intercepted and the message checked. Same if captured by corp security forces in a mid-level or higher facility.

That would suck for my char. frown.gif He has cyberforearms with a radio and phone mounted in each. Easy to find handcuffs like that, methinks...
Austere Emancipator
Jamming such transmissions would be much harder (I doubt that such handcuffs would in fact be very common anywhere). But just the fact that anyone with a decent scanner-type equipment and related gear (including any police station and any corp facility with decent security equipment) notices the transmissions and might even be capable of listening in on them might be a problem.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Sphynx)

err, where did you get the impression that you cant switch channels on the radio only? the info say that the radio can only hold rating x 2 channels in memory, those are user defined channels so that 2 people that have the same channel setup can say "jump to channel 5" rather then "jump to 156,45khz" or similar. you can still rearange these channels all over the place but will take longer time then just a quick thought to have it bounce to a diffrent channel.

the comlink is a totaly diffrent beast, it allows radios to have more then one channel open at ones and telephones to have more then one line (teleconference in your head anyone? perfect face/fixer move love.gif )

oh and if you install it as a package deal you get it for .15, not .30 smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012