Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unorthodox PbP game - an experiment
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
De Badd Ass
I just GMed my first shadowrun. I have to admit that it was a lot more fun than not playing! wobble.gif

I ran the session on the #shadowrun irc channel of the undernet.org. In my opinion, IRC is orders of magnitude more fun than play by post. However, I think a combination of the two - where IRC is used for the actual runs, and PbP is used for between run stuff - would be even better. In addition, the log file of the IRC run could be turned into a post or thread, too.

I have also played Shadowrun using OpenRPG. OpenRPG is new and GUI, whereas IRC is tried and true. I'd be willing to GM a run or two on either of those platforms, if people are interested. Need to come up with a way to coordinate a good time for all involved. It's hard when you consider the global nature of the dumpshock userbase.

Think about it, and let me know if you are interested.

Hypatia
I added a new NPC to the wiki.

I need to read up on the Kingston neighborhoods to know where to put the store and also about the University there.

How are people loading their character? Are you using the wiki editor or uploading a file?

I will need a character picture for Sierra.

Sierra "Sea" Logan

Physical Description :

Sex -- Female

Eyes -- Hazel

Age-- 17

Hair--Sandy blonde, mid back length, usually loosely held back by two small french braids.

Skin -- She is tanned, has a light dusting of freckles on her cheeks. Clear complexion with a faint scar on her neck on the left side. She has a tat on the small of her back of an iridescent dragon in flight. It is small, but if a person stares at it long enough, he would think it sparkles or moves. Another tat of dolphins frolicking in waves on her lower right calf.

Height -- 5' 5"

Weight -- 110

Build--This girl is a swimmer, an athlete and it shows. She is very well toned. She is well proportioned.

Clothing--Sea usually wears worn clothes that have seen a lot of sun and water. She favors halter tops or swim tops, worn tshirts, and shorts, sometimes cut offs. Usually wears light sneakers or flip flops. Loves long earrings and wears necklaces made of hemp and shells and charms.

Demeanor--Sea is a person who sees the glass as half full. She is smiling more often than not.
Fuchs
I'd be interested, but finding a time slot is nigh impossible for me, being in Europe, and having time comitments already. So, it'll be PbP for this.
Divine Virus
I'm also in Europe at the moment, but my schdule tends to be more open.
That said, I prefere PbP over every other medium. It gives me time to reflect and not do something stupid/out of character/overenthusiastic. Plus, I often play characters far smarter than myself, so it helps to have more time to think of what someone smarter than I would do.
Glyph
I have to say I prefer play-by-post too. It should move faster, since we will be running light on the dice, and can skip forward if a scene gets bogged down or someone stops posting.
Divine Virus
Plus every player helping to GM will also kinda helps keep the pace moving wink.gif

Anyone looking for any paticular themes or the like in their games? I am trying to think up some good plots to entangle players in.
Hypatia
How are all the characters going to meet? Should a couple already know each other? Maybe have a couple of us set up a quick story to get the ball rolling?

As for plot I always favor something straight forward for the first run for the team. Something that allows each player to get a little feel for the other and their team role. Smuggling run seems the simplest.

Glyph
It doesn't have to be a run, per se. The group could meet in a nightclub, or at the beach. And while they will interact, they won't necessarily be a runner team.

I wouldn't mind someone knowing Nova. Just think up how you could have met her. I finally got her posted to the WIKI. I am adding her 50+ questions text sheet here, too, since it goes into more detail.

[ Spoiler ]
Fuchs
It's not going to be a team-game, not in the classic sense. It's more a mosaic of different plots, and PCs and NPCs interacting with each other as they pursue their own goals.

The scope is vastly different from the usual campaign. We're not limited to shadowrunners.

What is important though is that you also lay out what kind of surroundings you expect. My baseline are the NPCs/contacts from the sourcebooks. So, as an example, I consider Nova to be a negotiator playing in or above the league of the High Stakes Negotiator (RC p. 286) since she has better skills at negotiating than that contact.
Glyph
That's probably about right for a social adept, actually. Keep in mind that she will often face a lot of negative modifiers, though, so functionally, she won't be quite as effective.
Fuchs
What negative modifiers would she usually face, in your opinion?
Glyph
She would suffer negative modifiers for being a SURGEling in some cases. I would normally reserve the -3 modifier for things like squid heads or insect eyes, but I could certainly see her suffering the same -1 or -2 modifier that people with heavy augmentations can suffer. Exotic dancing, while likely much more mainstream in the jaded 2070's, might give her a -3 penalty in some places or with some people (I would use the same negative modifier that they use if someone's Big Regret flaw is exposed). She is also an outsider who doesn't speak Patois (at least, not yet), which might be very significant in some areas. In some places, she might even face negative modifiers for being a woman.

More intangibly, she is in an area where she is still learning the unwritten rules, cultural taboos, and so on, all the while trying to avoid any major blunders.

That's not to say she'll be helplessly floundering - she will still have a decent dice pool - but her abilities won't be an instant "I win" button, either. I've played enough faces and combat types with this dice pool range to know that it's no guarantee.
Inane Imp
To answer the earlier question: I'd be comfortable playing my PC, getting my feet wet and moving on to control NPCs or small story arcs as I grow in confidence. Looking at some of the other characters (Adept Surgling, AI et al) I think mine will be a little more mundane: but the fish-out-of-water effect could be interesting.
I've applied to the wiki if you guys are happy walking a green rookie through this exotic wilderness.
overchord
So have we made any decisions on where to run the RP? Will it be here on the forums or somewhere else?
Divine Virus
No worries, Inane Imp. I would say it would be best if we got our own forum. Just because I imagine a lot of threads might be required.
overchord
I'm happy to host a forum if needed.

Preview here
Fuchs
Having our own forum makes coordinating easier. If we pick a forum it should offer unlimited PMs. Although there's also something to be said for Dumpshock, but all in all I think we're more likely to miss some post on DS than on a dedicated forum.
Fuchs
Another thing to decide is how to handle nuyen and karma. Standard, or more abstract.
overchord
Since chargen is fairly abstract, perhaps karma isn't so important? However, I guess money always makes the world go around, so probably need some sort of tracking on that.
I know for sure that its lack of money and a decent income (well that and spending it all on beer) that keeps Dexter in Kingston at the moment.

Could karma be used for some kind of more abstract reputation system or a simple ranking method of the different characters as a way of identifying how long they've been with the campaign?
ReverendMo
Perhaps taking karma and cash as abstracts would be best, except in certain circumstances. For instance, a character built to be (at least currently) scraping by, could be played as intended without the player having to worry about every expense, akin to lifestyles. Nuyen could be made on runs and used for the larger or more unusual expenses, characters could be RPed as having their belts tightened or loosened, but the specific amounts wouldn't be too worrisome. This can help avoid the struggling-to-survive char concept from suddenly being broadcast on Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous while also allowing them to splurge now and then.

similarly, karma and character improvement could be more of a time-spent thing. A character who spends most of their time training and practicing certain skills being given the collective green light to raising it when the group/GMs think enough time's been put in to warrant it.
Fuchs
We handle it like that in my pen and paper game, reverend.
Hypatia
Upgrade in any character's skills or abilities is role played in our normal game. They have to spend the time and nuyen required to learn it. No one uses skill wires so it's the old fashioned way. The players are always cleaning weapons, practice shooting, working out, spending time with a mentor, etc.

I would expect that realistic approach is this game as well since we aren't just looking to get the nuyen and run.
Fuchs
So, what about the forums? Play here on DS or on Overchord's forum?
Glyph
I'm used to Dumpshock, but a dedicated forum would be easier to keep track of. Also, just a small group of people probably wouldn't overload it to the point of slowdown. Maybe we could give the dedicated forum a try. We can always come back here if there are too many bugs or slowdowns.
overchord
If you want to give the forum a go, I'll set up permissions once people register.
I guess we'll need different sections for OOC, Locations, different story lines perhaps? I guess the main challenge is not to create too many forums where the time-line gets out of sync between threads.

First i'll set up an OOC thread to discuss what other forums needs to be added.

I wouldn't anticipate any dlowdown on the basis of user numbers/traffic unless we're exceeding several hundred users sarcastic.gif

Glyph
I've registered.
Fuchs
Registered.
Divine Virus
Registered.
Inane Imp
Registered. Also posted Aiden McAuley to the wiki, not completed yet. I lost some of the background as I was posting it up and couldn't face rewriting it tonight.
Imp
ReverendMo
Registered as Blondie.
De Badd Ass
What have I let myself in for?

Divine Virus and Hypatia have both expressed an interest in an IRC test run. I think one run involving the two of them would be better than 2 seperate runs.

I guess the first thing I should do is examine their characters, so that I can arrange something appropriate. An idea just came to me, but I won't know if it is appropriate until I look at their sheets.

Meanwhile, the two of you should coordinate a time. Anybody else that is interested should get with those two. Divine Virus has expressed an interest in a "kick down the doors" run to test his character concept, so that is what this will be. It won't be tailored to exploit flaws in his character, but it won't involve mind games, either.

My time this week: Thursday after 9:00 PM. Friday after 8:00 PM. Tomorrow might be too soon!

Next week: Monday and Thursday after 9:00 PM, Wednesday and Friday after 8:00PM.

The venue alternatives are IRC and openRPG.

IRC: undernet.org #s-run is the gathering spot. I am Swoop on #s-run. I use the xChat client which is built into Linux. I think Windows users use mIRC.

openRPG: You need special software for that. It's free, and open source. It requires Python 2.5, which is also free. The download page is: get openRPG. openRPG has it's own forums, the links to it are on the right side of the get openRPG page. I'll be going there myself to figure out how to set up a gameroom.

openRPG is cool. On the other hand, we will probably pick up additional players at #s-run if we use IRC.

IRC is simple, it's just chat. openRPG is advanced. Starting out is simple enough. To use the special features, RTFM!
Divine Virus
What timezone are you in please, DBA?
Fuchs
This Friday I could make it to a game too (vacation).
De Badd Ass
QUOTE (Divine Virus @ Jan 21 2009, 01:39 PM) *
What timezone are you in please, DBA?
D'oh!

The times I quoted were American Eastern Standard Time. The equivalent Universal Times are:

Tuesday and Friday - 01:00 UTC
Wednesday and Saturday - 02:00 UTC

I could possibly do a run on Wednesday around 17:00 UTC, or Sunday around 20:00 UTC.
Divine Virus
Ug, thats nasty. Ah well. I would rather it be tomorrow night then Friday. I am trying to cultivate my social life some, you see. Still, I'm not much of an out-late person, so changes are on friday I could be back by then or shortly thereafter.
Hypatia
I registered.

This Friday would be fine with me as well. Since this will be first time, any pointers for me?

Thanks!!
Divine Virus
I put up a half dozen contacts from a list of contacts I had saved from somebody else's game (it crashed and burned about six months ago). In other words, all I know of them right now if what you see, so please feel free to pick one or two to flesh out more. Or not.
De Badd Ass
I created a room called "SR4 - Caribbean League" on the "MayhemGaming" openRPG server.
I have to leave in two minutes is why I said no game tonight.
I will be in the room tomorrow night around 9:05 PM. (That's 02:00 Friday UTC)
We can go over mechanics of openRPG at that time.

My two minutes are up.
Bye
ReverendMo
I can try and show up for tomorrow evening but until I sort out a few interesting technical issues with my home PC, my access time is limited to what I can manage while sharing a computer. So by no means can I yet commit to specific days/times for an IRC/openRPG chat, though hopefully soon. I definitely prefer the faster reaction time to forum posts when possible.
Divine Virus
Just to make sure there is no misunderstanding: the game DBA is running Friday is non-canon and not required for the Caribbean shadows. Its just a few people seeing what their characters are capable of in a oneshot.
ReverendMo
I'm quite curious what some of the characters are capable of, I wouldn't mind just sitting back with some popcorn and watching the potential cool.gif
Inane Imp
I'm Australian Eastern Daylight Savings Time (Kilo -11), so can only make from about 0400 Z Fridays, and quite happily whenever up to about 0700-0900 Saturdays (later if I don't have a life that weekend.) The rest of the times hit whilst I'm at work. I won't be making DBA's run.
Imp
De Badd Ass
QUOTE (Inane Imp @ Jan 22 2009, 12:45 AM) *
I'm Australian Eastern Daylight Savings Time (Kilo -11), so can only make from about 0400 Z Fridays, and quite happily whenever up to about 0700-0900 Saturdays (later if I don't have a life that weekend.) The rest of the time hits whilst I'm at work. I won't be making DBA's run.
Imp
I'm confused. I thought that Australian Eastern Daylight Time is UTC PLUS 11.

8 PM Friday USA.EST = 20:00 USA.EST = 01:00 Saturday UTC = 12:00 Noon Saturday Aust.EDT

I guess you are saying that you will be busy having a life at noon on Saturday, too busy to game with us.

Be that way ;-(
Inane Imp
Australian Eastern Standard Time is Kilo time which is 11 hours ahead of Greenwich Mean Time (Zulu); which, confusingly, is written, in maritime and military usage at the very least, as -11 (as in you subtract 11 hours to get back to Greenwich). The signs work that way because for most purposes it is more important to convert local time to Zulu than vice versa. Either way, 0700 Z Saturday is 1800 K Saturday. So I'll be too busy having a life sometime after 6 on a Saturday night.... not too much to hope for, I think. wink.gif

Oh and game related: 'chord, you may have noticed my character has an un-named fixer as a contact, I was thinking that John Tusak would fit the bill perfectly as he's the sort of character to know my sea captain Jimmy Cliff. If your happy I'll appropriate him as a contact (who my character has yet to meet and only knows as a name, a place and a start in the Jamaican shadows).

Imp
De Badd Ass
QUOTE (Inane Imp @ Jan 22 2009, 08:22 AM) *
Australian Eastern Standard Time is Kilo time which is 11 hours ahead of Greenwich Mean Time (Zulu); which, confusingly, is written, in maritime and military usage at the very least, as -11 (as in you subtract 11 hours to get back to Greenwich). The signs work that way because for most purposes it is more important to convert local time to Zulu than vice versa. Either way, 0700 Z Saturday is 1800 K Saturday. So I'll be too busy having a life sometime after 6 on a Saturday night....
Got it!

"6 on a Saturday night" = 18:00 Kilo = 07:00 UTC = 02:00 USA.EST
(or is it "6 on a Saturday night" = 18:00 Aust.EDT = 17:00 Kilo = 06:00 UTC = 01:00 USA.EST ?)

If we game from 8 to 11 Friday Night, thats
20:00 to 23:00 USA.EST = 01:00 to 04:00 UTC = 12:00 to 15:00 Kilo = Noon to Three on a Saturday.

Get it?

EDIT: Kilo Time
That clears up my confusion.
Kilo Standard Time = -10 (+10), so Kilo Daylight Time = -11(+11)
So 8 PM Friday Night to me, is Noon Saturday to you.

The plus vs minus: In the computer world, the network clocks keep UTC, and add the factor to display local time.
In the military, A soldier knows the local time, and adds the factor to determine Zulu Time (UTC).
The computer adds +11 to its UTC to get Kilo Daylight Time.
A soldier adds -11 to Kilo Daylight Time to get Zulu Time.
Inane Imp
Oops, half-asleep schoolboy error: Australian Eastern Standard Time is Kilo (-10), Australian Eastern Daylight Savings Time is Lima (-11), or what you called Kilo Daylight Time.
So 0700 Z is 1800 L.
Apologies to all who are confused, and I need to remember to double check posts that I make when tired/drunk.
Imp
Glyph
So, where are we at, right now? Will we be starting IC/introductory posts in Overchord's forum soon?
Fuchs
I'd say we're almost ready. I think we should take a few days still, to finalize PCs, work out who knows what about whom, flesh out a few more locations and NPCs if needed, and then start.
overchord
Sounds good - how did it go with the OpenRPG session? Sorry i couldn't join, but kinda bad times for me smile.gif
Anyways, if you think there are thing you would like changed on the forum, please just drop me an IM here or on the forum (user "jensr" on there for admin changes)
Fuchs
Took a bit to set up, but then it went well, in my opinion. It was just a test run for the mechanics though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012