Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can you realy have +4 complex actions in rouns?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Tanka
QUOTE (TheScamp)
BP doesn't allow you to buy Resources again and again. You do it only once. You can't buy 1 mil for 30BPs and then do it again, you do it only once.

I can't find anything in the SR Comp that says this. Could you give a page reference, please?

It also doesn't offer the suggestion that the GM could allow it. Every GM I know wouldn't dare think of allowing it in BeCKS, let alone BP where it isn't even suggested.
toturi
QUOTE (TheScamp)
BP doesn't allow you to buy Resources again and again. You do it only once. You can't buy 1 mil for 30BPs and then do it again, you do it only once.

I can't find anything in the SR Comp that says this. Could you give a page reference, please?

p15 SRComp Resources
Once Building Points have been used to determine a charactor's Resources...

In the Building Points table, Resources maxed out at 30BPs, if you want to spend 60BPs it is not in the table. It does not state 30BP per 1000000 nuyen.gif . Unlike skills or Attributes which have a per point cost in the table.
Austere Emancipator
In the Building Points table, Resources maxed out at 30BPs, if you want to spend 60BPs it is not in the table. It does not state 30BP per 1000000  .

In all fairness, the BeCKS Resources table has no entry for more than 120 Karma/1,000,000 nuyen either, nor does it give a mechanic for getting more Resources on that table. The possibility to buy extra Resources is mentioned in the "Customizing BeCKS" section and is companied by multiple "GM might allow"s and "GM could allow"s, and the Cash for Karma or Karma for Cash rules are not mentioned at all.
Reaver
QUOTE (tanka)
QUOTE (Reaver @ Jan 7 2004, 08:31 AM)
One thing that should be noted, you cannot have more than four actions in a combat round... no matter how fast you go.  Now, I know for sure that was the way it was in 2nd Ed. and I don't have the 3rd Ed. core rules with me.  Frankly, any sane GM should keep that rule in place to prevent people from trying to get insanely high initiative scores.

What rule is that? I play SR2 offline and I've never read such a rule anywhere.

I could have sworn it was in 2nd Ed. I've been playing with that rule for so long it's just been ingrained. I'll look for it when I get home.
BlackSmith
..so the all comes down to this.
after couple of hard words, shaking of heads, dice war and nice "Lets-get-us-all-drunk-as-deamons-and-deal-with-this-shit" we ended up to remake all characters because all characters were, in some way, over the line in by purpose or by mistake.

have to do something about that we all are DM's to time to time.

thanks for the comments.
we all needed them to remeber what were the restrictions. now the old ones are shreds and the new ones are writen nicely back of an job lists and ect...

it does not bother me to talk off topic as now the newbie character fight is over.
and mater of fact, i think with BeCKS system you can make too easily plain average character that has average about every thing. if you try to make stereo typied charcter it starts to cost huge thus worst rendering the whole character to "one and only thing" character OR "Jack of all trades" hot shot.
PB or ABCDE beats BeCKS anytime IMO.

______

H&K -7529 "Hunter"(SptR) is my made weapon, among others. my page contains now a link for its complete stats if someone weants to see them. i have also made sniper rifle, heavy pistol and rifle that is called "overthrower" and that gun lives its name...
Tanka
As was told to me, BeCKS is more specialized. It's cheaper to take something like Sorcery (Spellcasting) 4 (7). (Since you can't have a specialization at twice your general skill or more) Look at it that way instead of trying to make a comparable character with skills at 5 (7).

If you want a run down of average archetypes and their comparisons between creation systems, hunt down my thread called "Character Creation Systems" or something like that. If it still exists, that is.
Herald of Verjigorm
If you could buy resources multiple times in BP, just buy the 5,000 nuyen.gif a few hundred times until you have enough money (since it's cost is zero), or buy the 500 nuyen.gif a few dozen times to get some extra skill points.
Austere Emancipator
Yeah, that sounds about as smart as allowing people to use BeCKS for chargen with 64,000 Karma.
Tanka
GM: OK. BeCKS. 64,000 Karma.
Player: OK. Night One with tons of SURGE and Edges, Adept (Path of the Magician), maxed Attributes, every Skill. Several initiations to boot, and lots of money.

If I get bored at work, I'll do just that. Just for fun. grinbig.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (tanka)
Several initiations to boot

Actually, it's not that many you can get. Alone without initiation, even 50 levels of initiation cost 50 x 5 x 3 + (1,2,3,...,7,8,9) x 5 x 3 + (1,2,3,4) x 100 x 3 + 50 x 3? 750 + 675 + 3000 + 150 = 4575 Karma. 100 levels, 1500+1350+13500+300 = 16650 Karma. 150 levels, 2250+2025+31500+450 = 36225 Karma.

Depends on where your priorities lie -- being a billionaire, having every skill at 20+ or beating GDs at magery.
TheScamp
It does not state 30BP per 1000000  . Unlike skills or Attributes which have a per point cost in the table.

Fair enough.

How, again, is the BeCKS system crazy/whacked/unbalanced when it comes to money?
Austere Emancipator
The BeCKS system makes a possible customizing suggestion at the end the document that if the game is supposed to be very high-powered, the GM might allow people to buy more resources by first buying the full 1,000,000 with 120 Karma, and then maybe buying another 1,000,000 with another 120 Karma, or just keep buying more over the first 1,000,000 at 20,000/Karma. If the GM is being very stupid and allows this in a not-very-high-powered game, it will be a bit whacky.

toturi's main gripe seemed to be with Cash for Karma, which is not even suggested as a possibility in the BeCKS v2 document, and would be totally useless if it were (as I mentioned, it would take insane amounts of Karma to get any significant cash out of it).
Cain
QUOTE (Reaver)
One thing that should be noted, you cannot have more than four actions in a combat round... no matter how fast you go. Now, I know for sure that was the way it was in 2nd Ed. and I don't have the 3rd Ed. core rules with me. Frankly, any sane GM should keep that rule in place to prevent people from trying to get insanely high initiative scores.

*flips through SR2*

I don't see it anywhere, but I did find my old SR2 speed sammie sheet, my excercise in twinkdom. He's got a base reaction of 30, and a top speed of 54. That's a minimum of four and a maximum of six actions in a SR2 legal character.

I'd have to do some work to see if he still functions under SR3, but I think I can do so.
Tanka
QUOTE (Cain)
QUOTE (Reaver @ Jan 7 2004, 06:31 AM)
One thing that should be noted, you cannot have more than four actions in a combat round... no matter how fast you go.  Now, I know for sure that was the way it was in 2nd Ed. and I don't have the 3rd Ed. core rules with me.  Frankly, any sane GM should keep that rule in place to prevent people from trying to get insanely high initiative scores.

*flips through SR2*

I don't see it anywhere, but I did find my old SR2 speed sammie sheet, my excercise in twinkdom. He's got a base reaction of 30, and a top speed of 54. That's a minimum of four and a maximum of six actions in a SR2 legal character.

I'd have to do some work to see if he still functions under SR3, but I think I can do so.

Wrong, bucko. Turn 0 people don't get a go. So he has a minimum of three rounds (30, 20, 10), not four.

Aus Em: I'm talking perfectly legal, everything under avail/rating rules, including skills and attributes. So Sorcery 20 is out of the question, but initiating will be quite fun. grinbig.gif
Diesel
30 Reaction, 4 init. Minimum roll of 4 (1,1,1,1) + 30 reaction = 34.

34, 24, 14, 4. Four actions, bucko. biggrin.gif
Tanka
Nope. He specifically said minimum of 30, and gave the maximum. So he -- OK, just did mental math. You are indeed correct. So he's got 4D6 + 30. Fair enough.

He should've specified, because it definately seemed to me that if he only rolled ones his initiative would be 30.
Diesel
It would work if he were using d7s. biggrin.gif
JackWill
I have learned that reaction ain't squat in SR.. because if you get into a firefight.. something went wrong! I been thru 6 runs and only discharged one bullet.. one.. and that was to blast a lock!

I also know being a Gm and a Runner.. if you make a gun ho gunny bunny... you better have some other skills besides weapons.. because one bullet comes across teh wrong way and your fragged! I mean my Decker/Rigger... i am not a dronge rigger i am a counter rigger/getaway guy... but my main skills are Vechicals, Electronics, Computer, B/Rs, Stealth.. .my "secondary are ARs, Pistols, and unarmed" I know for a fact that i haven't really used my ARs.. i carry two when i know shit will hit the fan... a sniper ready one and a Combat ready one.. but i think the few times i whipped out my pistols and shot.. i hit.. and that one shot is what happens.. because once you get a medium are higher wound.. its all over with.

I mean.. you can Have move by wire system that gives you +20 init, +5d6 and you go twice your first two rounds.. but when unload a full auto burst into you.. or run you over with one of my vechicals.. you ain't gunna do much!

Being a Runner ain't about guns blazing.. shooting everything you see.. its about subtlefudge.. get what you need to do.. get it done.. let nothing know it happed but the people that pay you adn you split the pay with.. THATS it.. silence, stealth, and quickness are what you need to be a runner.. not big guns or lots of guns!
Tanka
Yeah, I think we've all figured this much. However, sometimes the firefight is unavoidable, in which case the "gunbunny" is a real friend indeed.
toturi
QUOTE (JackWill)
I also know being a Gm and a Runner.. if you make a gun ho gunny bunny... you better have some other skills besides weapons.. because one bullet comes across teh wrong way and your fragged! I mean my Decker/Rigger... i am not a dronge rigger i am a counter rigger/getaway guy... but my main skills are Vechicals, Electronics, Computer, B/Rs, Stealth.. .my "secondary are ARs, Pistols, and unarmed" I know for a fact that i haven't really used my ARs.. i carry two when i know shit will hit the fan... a sniper ready one and a Combat ready one.. but i think the few times i whipped out my pistols and shot.. i hit.. and that one shot is what happens.. because once you get a medium are higher wound.. its all over with.

Being a Runner ain't about guns blazing.. shooting everything you see.. its about subtlefudge.. get what you need to do.. get it done.. let nothing know it happed but the people that pay you adn you split the pay with.. THATS it.. silence, stealth, and quickness are what you need to be a runner.. not big guns or lots of guns!

Insurance. Life insurance, fire insurance, all sorts of insurance.

You aren't planning to die, start a fire or anything, but you still buy insurance... Why? Just in case right?

That's why you need a gun bunny. For insurance. You don't NEED a gun bunny, but it sure as hell is better to have him than not. Afterall, it is your charactor on the line.
Fortune
QUOTE (tanka)
He specifically said minimum of 30, and gave the maximum.

He specifically stated that he had 'a base Reaction of 30, with a top speed of 54'.

If it was as you said, a minimum initiative of 30, he couldn't have a maximum of 54 (with 4 dice). It would instead be capped at 50. smile.gif
Tanka
Absolutely correct, which is why I halt-posted. However, it would've saved me the precious few bits of time doing the mental math to see if I actually was right.
Cain
You guys got it. I could actually push him to a base reaction of 32, by including an adrenal gland. However, the character seemed excessive enough.
Tanka
Hehe... Seems NSRCG can't handle very big numbers. I put in 46,000 for the BeCKS number and it overflowed.

Posting in NSRCG thread now to see if mcmackie can use a higher vartype.
Tiralee
Posting in NSRCG thread now to see if mcmackie can use a higher vartype.

Now, that's a cruel thing to ask grinbig.gif

:L
Herald of Verjigorm
Just set it to 32767. That should be close enough.
JackWill
QUOTE (toturi)
Insurance. Life insurance, fire insurance, all sorts of insurance.

You aren't planning to die, start a fire or anything, but you still buy insurance... Why? Just in case right?

That's why you need a gun bunny. For insurance. You don't NEED a gun bunny, but it sure as hell is better to have him than not. Afterall, it is your charactor on the line.

Hey hey.. i will admit. its fun to play the gunbunny.. its funny to see the corp guards come out guns toten and the gunny bunny runs around blasting caps in everythings face!

and heck... GunBunnys are not in any way like insurance.. more like..a firefight itching to happen.. i have been in manny fire fights.. iwth my decker/counter rigger..and we got out of it by the skin of our teeth... but.. most ot the time.. you set and ambush... and F!@# them up.. they ain't gunna be much of a problem... But if they can't find you.. they can't shoot at you! grinbig.gif
Kagetenshi
But eventually they'll figure out you're using a capgun and just shoot you.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012