Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More Matrix/Hacking Woes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
DWC
QUOTE (counterveil @ Mar 4 2009, 02:38 PM) *
How to replicate this in SR4? The way that SR4 works is essentially only Rating+{something} vs. Rating+{something}. This doesn't really replicate the natural progression of technology and the hacks-against-it to evolve to meet demand. I was thinking a lot about this the other day and came up with the following:

Software "degrades", or becomes less useless over time. Perhaps every month (or less in a fast-moving techno-literate society like the 6th world?), every software-based rating that a PC has decreases by 1. This reflects the tendency of the PCs opposition to increase their protective *and* offensive measures. This introduces what is essentially a software maintenance fee into the PCs' lives, much like maintaining lifestyle. In this scenario it becomes really cool to actually have software development skills in order to maintain your own gear and keep it up to date and bleeding-edge.

Hm...I think I might use that. Or maybe it's already in Unwired (still in the midst of reading this) and I've just made a redundant suggestion nyahnyah.gif

This is already a part of Unwired, with one notable exception. If you've licensed the software, the manufacturer sends you the patches for free, which prevents the degradation. Only cracked or pirated software degrades.
counterveil
QUOTE (DWC @ Mar 4 2009, 08:42 PM) *
This is already a part of Unwired, with one notable exception. If you've licensed the software, the manufacturer sends you the patches for free, which prevents the degradation. Only cracked or pirated software degrades.

Ah cool, thanks! That gives me much more faith in the game design prowess of the current purveyors of SR4 goodness love.gif
InfinityzeN
If you write the program from scratch yourself, it does not degrade. Sorta gives a reason for your in game hacker to spend several months writing up 'Stealth' at rating 6.

*Edit: it does require minor maintinance, but that is pushed aside [Lifestyle I guess] by default.
Browncoatone
i do not recall that ever being done mid-combat. as part of a conversation that one can tell will lead to problems, sure, but not while bullets or fists are flying...

I don't remember which one, but in one of the episodes of Ghost in a Shell Stand Alone Complex Batou challenges the Major to fight after implying she should upgrade to a male chassis to improve her command authority with her male subordinates. The fight is over before it begins when Batou takes a swing at the Major and the Major closes her eyes as she hacks Batou's cyber systems and forces him to punch himself. Very cool.

But then again, the Major is not mortal, the Major is a Cyber-Goddess and Batou should have known better than to question her superiority.
hobgoblin
he didnt take a swing, she just smiled after being challenged and then he floored himself...

and the same basic scene happened in the manga...
Zaranthan
Yeah, you pretty much regurgitated the rules from Unwired. Same numbers, same terminology. Grats?
The Monk
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Mar 4 2009, 08:50 PM) *
he didnt take a swing, she just smiled after being challenged and then he floored himself...

and the same basic scene happened in the manga...

Batou hesitated after the Major showed some cleavage, then he knocked himself out.
Sir_Psycho
She probably just memory dumped some of her heavily implied lesbian orgies on him and he wanted to lie down and dream.
hobgoblin
implied? read the second comic of 1.0 series wink.gif
Sir_Psycho
I was thinking of those times in SAC when she would be seen in a trendy all-female apartment with a huge bed and would politely decline ambiguous solicitations because she needed to work. I've never read the comics. Are they available in eBook? biggrin.gif
hobgoblin
hmm, not sure how to answer that one wink.gif

but anyways, the girls she visits in that episode have a interesting resemblance to the ones in the comic wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012