Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replace the Samurai Challenge
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Mar 29 2009, 11:18 AM) *
Edge dice are not subject to the Force limit. Only Edge dice, however, have this. Your Spellcasting dice, or Magic dice, Focus dice, etc. are not Edge dice, regardless of if you apply Edge before or after the roll.

Thank You ... I stand Corrected...
ElFenrir
I didn't feel that I needed to houserule that-if anything, foci and other stuff are so expensive as it is(and lower level foci have enough disadvantages of being able to go ''pfft'' in a weak barrier), that if they want to do it, they are welcome to it. I make sure they know the advantage of spending the big cash and more Karma to bond over the ''cheap but easier method''. I never saw it hurt our games. But I can see why folks might want to houserule it, in any case. It's definitely not and over the top houserule.

(I am actually working on my, and our, I should say, since our table is the same folks for years and share houserules depending on who GMs, and even brainstorm for others-collection of houserules. It actually makes things a lot easier on the PCs when it comes to things like chargen and everything, however-but folks who prefer what I like to call our ''gritty manga'' style of more pro play might find them interesting, in any case. smile.gif)

Yeah, mechanics vs. fluff has it's own bit. I mean, if I recall, Armor didn't make you glow before in older editions(I have to get my old books and see)..I always felt it was invisible unless someone was astrally perceiving, in which case you'd light up a nice ''Springfield Green.'' grinbig.gif BUt if it glows these days, I suppose it glows. I feel you on the lifestyle thing...if I'm playing a character with a fair load of cyber and gear, I at least try to get them a believable lifestyle with the whole thing, honestly. Now and again I have a concept for a loaded character who had a run of really rotten nuyen luck(it happens), but currently, my 182,000 elfdood of curbstomp-death lives a high lifestyle. Because i felt it makes sense. (And the fact he takes care of a 10 year old boy, but that's a whole other story. wink.gif)
Dakka Dakka
[snip]Attribute Boost example[/snip]Coorect, except that the duration is 2*hits so 12 rounds.
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 29 2009, 07:03 PM) *
I am still not understanding the Use of Edge for Locking a Spell in into a Sustaining Focus... YOU CANNOT DO THAT BY RAW... Please explain how I can use a Rating 1 Sustaining Foci to Lock a Rating 6 Spell... You Cannot do so by the RAW in any book that I have...
You can't, but some spells' effects only vary by the number of hits. The hits can be boosted by Edge. Armor, Combat Sense and Deflection are such spells.
Now... For the Quickening Metamagic Feat... which does not use a sustaining Focus... you Must quicken thte spell with Karma equal to the Force of the Spell, and you can add additional Karma to add additional Dice to resist dispelling or disruption. In this case, you might be able to add Edge (GM Discretion, but could be within the scope of the RAW) to add dice to the resistance roll of the Quickened spell to determine if it is disrupted or dispelled...
You could use Edge to boost the initial spellcasting roll just as you can if you use a sustaining focus.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Mar 29 2009, 01:45 PM) *
[snip]Attribute Boost example[/snip]Coorect, except that the duration is 2*hits so 12 rounds.
You can't, but some spells' effects only vary by the number of hits. The hits can be boosted by Edge. Armor, Combat Sense and Deflection are such spells.
You could use Edge to boost the initial spellcasting roll just as you can if you use a sustaining focus.

Makes Sense (assuming you are willing track your Edge Dice Seperately), Thanks
The Mack
QUOTE (knasser @ Mar 30 2009, 04:26 AM) *
Sustained Armour is a pretty horrible one. By horrible, I don't mean that it's unbalanced itself, I mean that it produces the sort of fluff v. mechanical advantage situation that annoys me so much. Armour makes you glow. Glow! Some players have no problem stating that their characters walk around their whole life flowing green in case someone leaps out at them and shoots them.

Yeah and that unfortunately is left to the GM to handle.

But there are options.

Focus addiction is a good start, with a constant worsening if they don't let up.

Not to mention that magic above, I think Force 3?, is illegal. So unless they spend all their time in the barrens, they shouldn't really be able to get around without being harassed by lone star/knight errant/etc. Think Grand Theft Auto after you've gone on a killing spree.

QUOTE (knasser @ Mar 30 2009, 04:26 AM) *
It's a relative of "I have 200,000 nuyen.gif of cyberware installed in my body and I can earn 4,000 nuyen.gif in a night as a hitman, but I live in a squat with no electricity, no water, no entertainment and just count my grenades each night" syndrome. biggrin.gif I frown upon players cheerfully ignoring any aspects of their character's comfort or social lives that would interfere with the collection of nuyen.gif

Anyone specifically choosing to live in a squat should eventually get slapped with the Uncouth negative quality. You're not going to make 4,000 nuyen a night if no one will hire you because you smell of raw sewage and look like a derelict. wink.gif
AgentDanny
Alrighty, first post here on dumpshock so go easy on me.

Knasser, I like the character. So much that I want to run it in a campaign. I've been trying to reproduce her on paper so I could run it by our gm. Everything is pretty solid. Thing is when I tally this up it comes to 419 BP. Let me know if I'm doing this wrong.
BP Costs:
20 - Metatype (Ork)
190 - Attributes
170 - Skills
49 - Resources
-10 - Qualities
419 - TOTAL

Is this right or what?
merashin
First off, Welcome to Dumpshock. Secondly you got it right, he just forgot to add ork into the cost, you can just add 20bp of negative qualities and 1 bp of oh say resources if you want to play it, and good catch on the math.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012