Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey, that pistol is from Robocop!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
silva

What things Shadowrun copied from other sources?

I think everyone knows of Ares Predator being Robocop's movie pistol. But what else are there?

ICPiK
Didn't it look more like the salvette guardian? And that is a touchy subject, just don't ask William Gibson LOL.
Angier
Some of the AR-Displays used in Shadowrun Art seems to be so much inspired by contemporary animes like Ghost in the Shell that its bordering on theft wink.gif

Technomancers seem to be like a mixture of Matrix, Dark City and Blame!

But it's rather mood to count the sources of influence since Shadowrun incorporates so much.
Mäx
QUOTE (ICPiK @ Apr 9 2009, 08:20 PM) *
Didn't it look more like the salvette guardian? And that is a touchy subject, just don't ask William Gibson LOL.

No it looked exactly like Ares predator was potraid in 1/2:nd edition, before it was changed for something more sensipul. But that look was only thing taken, predator was never a machine pistol like auto-9.
Stahlseele
Yes, that's the same pistol.
Tolkien and Gibson.
ICPiK
Ohhhh yeah i see it now!
silva
I have some more theories...

old Fuchi/Novatech central building in Seattle: the police department building from Blade Runner;

Ares Viper: the pistol of Molly, the razorgirl from Neuromancer;

Walther Palm Pistol: the same design as of Deckard's pistol in Blade Runner, slightly modified;

Savalette Guardian: the pistol from Judge Dredd movie, slightly modified;

nezumi
The slivergun is obviously Molly's gun.

Seriously though, you have four editions of a game made up almost exclusively on creative re-interpretations of popular culture, and you want a list of references??
silva
Oh cmon, maybe there is something hidden that nobody discovered yet!

And I think the bike "Suzuki Aurora" is the Tetsuo bike from Akira. smile.gif
Daddy's Little Ninja
I thought the Ares Predator was a Desert Eagle
Method
Robocop
Ares Predator

I'd say thats a straight knockoff...
Mäx
QUOTE (silva @ Apr 9 2009, 08:49 PM) *
Walther Palm Pistol: the same design as of Deckard's pistol in Blade Runner, slightly modified;

Yes, but again only the image on second edition, no other similarities.
Issmir
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 9 2009, 01:15 PM) *
Robocop
Ares Predator

I'd say thats a straight knockoff...

Naaaaah.

One's silver! grinbig.gif
Degausser
QUOTE (silva @ Apr 9 2009, 12:02 PM) *
What things Shadowrun copied from other sources?

I think everyone knows of Ares Predator being Robocop's movie pistol. But what else are there?

Um, couldn't Robocop's gun fire full auto and burst fire? Ares predetor can't do that . . . although . . . .

Take a Ruger Thunderbolt, extend the clip, modify it for Semi Auto and Full Auto, and have some recoil comp method . . . and then you'd have a pretty good faccimmilie . . . .

I am going to go post that in the Modded guns section, right now.

SpasticTeapot
QUOTE (Degausser @ Apr 9 2009, 01:36 PM) *
Um, couldn't Robocop's gun fire full auto and burst fire? Ares predetor can't do that . . . although . . . .

When you're a cyberzombie with a boatload of 'ware, recoil is something that happens to other people.

The Desert Eagle is supposed to be something of a wrist-breaker even without the ability to fire automatic.
ICPiK
QUOTE (SpasticTeapot @ Apr 9 2009, 09:52 PM) *
When you're a cyberzombie with a boatload of 'ware, recoil is something that happens to other people.

The Desert Eagle is supposed to be something of a wrist-breaker even without the ability to fire automatic.

Heck yeah... let alone you can barely get your hand around the grip
Stahlseele
Isn't the propper way to shoot a DE with both hands and braced pose anyway? O.o
martindv
The Auto 9 is in the new Exiles comic, which came out yesterday. Morph points it at a baby Hitler while giving the new group their orientation.
Snow_Fox
Frm the street samurai catalog:

G12A3Z is the pulse rifle from Aliens, without the grenade launcher.

The Ingram smart gun is just a standard Ingram (often confused with an Uzi) with a honking big silencer on the front.

The TMP is clearly the RL Tech-9 machine pistol.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (ICPiK @ Apr 9 2009, 10:20 AM) *

Actually, sticking to real life here, I though it looked more like a Beretta 93R...
Though a Savalette Guardian would work as well if using Shadowrun Tech...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Apr 9 2009, 07:03 PM) *

The Ingram smart gun is just a standard Ingram (often confused with an Uzi) with a honking big silencer on the front.

Which is usually referred to as a Sound Suppressor, not a silencer
Ed_209a
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Apr 9 2009, 09:03 PM) *
The TMP is clearly the RL Tech-9 machine pistol.

With the logical addition of a slide from a paintball gun...

The picture makes it look like you can clear a jam without moving your hands from firing position...

Convenience, or does it simply jam that often?

The fire mode is listed BF/FA. I suspect that "burst mode" refers to it only firing 3-5 rounds between jams. smile.gif
Ed_209a
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Apr 9 2009, 09:03 PM) *

Perfect proof that SR was meant to be Pink Mohawk rather than Black Trenchcoat. The real Ingram MAC-10 and MAC-11 were much more popular with movie prop men than with people who use guns for a living. As I understand it, people who really needed a SMG that small preferred the Mini-uzi.

It is kind of like saying that the street racers of 2050 will be using cars directly developed from a 1972 Gremlin.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Ed_209a @ Apr 9 2009, 08:38 PM) *
Perfect proof that SR was meant to be Pink Mohawk rather than Black Trenchcoat. The real Ingram MAC-10 and MAC-11 were much more popular with movie prop men than with people who use guns for a living. As I understand it, people who really needed a SMG that small preferred the Mini-uzi.

It is kind of like saying that the street racers of 2050 will be using cars directly developed from a 1972 Gremlin.

Good Point... and quite entertaining too...
SpasticTeapot
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 9 2009, 10:40 PM) *
Good Point... and quite entertaining too...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_Straight-6_engine#4.0

You'd be quite frankly amazed how long tech from something as dreadful as the Gremlin can stick around.
Degausser
Posted this in my Modded Guns thread, but I thought I would post it here. This is ac close to the Robocop pistol as I could figure, I guess unless you want to include the TV series, in which case, also give the gun biometric security.

Robocop's gun
Base Gun: Ruger Thunderbolt
Factory Mods: RC 2 (Unique barrel, standard), Smartlink(option)
Mods: Extended clip (15 rnds), Firing Selection Change (SA), Firing Selection Change (FA), Gas Vent 3, Custom Look 1
Cost to make: nuyen.gif 2750
Cost to Buy: nuyen.gif 3500

Neraph
Ahem.

The slang term "grok," a slang term meaning "to understand" (listed as an alternate to "grep," page 47 SR4), is originally from Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein, and was a word in the Martian language that Valentine Michael Smith brought back to Earth.

You can also thank that book for the water bed, which was designed based on the "hydraulic" beds in the story.

EDIT: As it turns out, the waterbed's patent was prevented because of the book; it was just not commerically available at the time of the printing.

Also, the Church of All Worlds came into being because of the book. Which is interesting because he said he wrote the book as pure fiction, not to be taken seriously...
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 9 2009, 10:12 PM) *
Which is usually referred to as a Sound Suppressor, not a silencer
depends to whom you are talking. if you say 'silencer' even the most inexperienced gun person will know what you mean. say "sound surpressor" and they will think of it and say "oh a silencer?"
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Ed_209a @ Apr 9 2009, 10:38 PM) *
Yeah the gun shop at the range where I shoot has an ingram for sale-altered to be legal semi-auto. They let me handle it. it would look good in a movie but it sucks as a weapon. I couldn't see how to hold it that would contain the recoil AND let me aim at the same time. Call me crazy, I actually feel aiming is important. The only way I could see making it work was to add a stock to the back of it and that would, of course, make the weapon illegal under current laws. I guess a smart link would mean you don't have to aim directly from your eye line. It looks cool and is very compact but wow, FUGLY weapon from a practical point of view.
crash2029
I always felt that the Ares Predator was very reminiscent of the AMT Automag.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg178-e.htm
Method
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Apr 10 2009, 04:14 AM) *
I couldn't see how to hold it that would contain the recoil AND let me aim at the same time. Call me crazy, I actually feel aiming is important.

While you are correct, it also depends a little bit on the tactical situation. The SMG is generally better suited to close-quarters suppressive fire. If accuracy is an issue a entry rifle or pistol (with lots of training) are probably a better bet.
TBRMInsanity
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 10 2009, 06:34 PM) *
While you are correct, it also depends a little bit on the tactical situation. The SMG is generally better suited to close-quarters suppressive fire. If accuracy is an issue a entry rifle or pistol (with lots of training) are probably a better bet.

I would have to agree. When I was on vehicle patrols I usually just had a pistol as it was lighter and easier to point out a window and shoot. When on foot patrols it was better to have either an assault rifle or SMG (depending if you had to go into buildings or not.
Link
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Apr 10 2009, 02:03 AM) *

G12A3Z is the pulse rifle from Aliens, without the grenade launcher.

Don't know about that
[img]http://cyberpunk.liber-mundi.org/images/Heckler_&_Koch_G12A3Z.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k115/daveb2/pulserifle.jpg[/img]
No images?
Links
H&K G12 about half way down
10mm Pulse Rifle
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 10 2009, 07:34 PM) *

sure smg's and even BAR's are for supression fire but if you actually want to aim and not rely of someone else to take them down, this sucks. Great for intimidation but lousy if you have to use it. The Uzi- porven superior in close action over the AK's by the Israeli's in the Golan similarly have to have a stock for accurate fire. Fighting in Afghanistan has proven that aimed fire is infinatly superior to prey and spray.
Starmage21
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 10 2009, 07:34 PM) *

the Ingram MAC-10 and MAC-11 were not built for aiming. They were made to spray large amounts of lead down hallways to clear them. Some of them actually have a rocker built on the back of the grip, so that the thing sprays lead over a wider area.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 10 2009, 06:34 PM) *

This is very true... SMG's are really for close in work...
Method
Close in *and suppressive* was my point. If you want close in and *accurate* you want an entry rifle.

As far as aiming goes you are of coarse correct- you can aim for effect if need be. Thats why the MP5, for example, has a stock and single action mode. But my point is that SMGs are not generally designed to excel in that regard, any more so than a pistol.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 11 2009, 01:23 PM) *
Close in *and suppressive* was my point. If you want close in and *accurate* you want an entry rifle.

As far as aiming goes you are of coarse correct- you can aim for effect if need be. Thats why the MP5, for example, has a stock and single action mode. But my point is that SMGs are not generally designed to excel in that regard, any more so than a pistol.

Pistol's WILL work though, but of course you are right in that an Entry Rifle would be much better...
MJBurrage
Often they "borrow" imagery but use a completely different description.

The most often noted is that the Ares Predator Heavy Pistol is a dead ringer for RoboCop's custom Beretta 9mm 93R Machine Pistol.

From Blade Runner they got both CitySpeak and the Renraku Archeology (often drawn to resemble the Tyrell buildings).
silva
rom Blade Runner they got both CitySpeak and the Renraku Archeology (often drawn to resemble the Tyrell buildings).

Yeah, that too!

By the way, what is the tallest building of Seattle skyline? And the Needle is still seen?

Snow_Fox
the needle is still there with the original McHughs round the corner but the Archology is the biggest building-mass, width and height.
Necro Sanct
QUOTE (silva @ Apr 12 2009, 12:58 AM) *
Yeah, that too!

By the way, what is the tallest building of Seattle skyline? And the Needle is still seen?

Not many specific buildings are given an exact height in any of the sourcebooks. This is something that I would like to see in newer releases personally. Going by the current landscape, to the left (north) of the Needle would be Lower Queen Anne Hill. Corp condos and other apartment complexes in that area would most likely be spread out or not overly tall as opposed to most likely replacing a whole city block to lessen the need for extreme height. Since it is a sloped section, going tall would not be the best option in the Queen Anne area.

For reference going by known heights.

Renraku Arcology, 3175 feet (968 meters): These were the completed heights. It would have been just right of Columbia Center way off the top of the picture. Not sure what the stats are for ACHE.

Emerald City I, 1000 feet (305 meters): A real world proposed building which would become the tallest if it is ever built.

Aztechnology Pyramid, 984 feet (300 meters): This would tower right behind the Space Needle about the same height as Columbia Center.

Columbia Center, 937 feet (285 meters): 57th tallest in the world, 19th tallest in the United States

Fifth and Columbia Tower, 660 feet (201 meters): The only other under construction building taller than the Space Needle.

Space Needle, 605 feet (184 meters): Listed as 5th tallest in Seattle although technically it is closer in height to the 6th tallest which is the WaMu Center, the newest completed skyscraper in the city.

All other buildings under construction, approved or proposed are under 560 feet (171 meters) and are mostly within the area of central downtown.

Here is an edit of the above pic of what the possible sizes of the Arcology and Pyramid would be. Actually looking over my maps now, the Pyramid would probably be behind it and to the left so you would most likely still see the Space Needle from the water unless other buildings were behind it.
The Jake
To the OP:
Ares Predator = Robocop's Gun in looks.

Functionally? Ruger Thunderbolt and Savalette Guardian are more appropriate.

- J.
Wounded Ronin
Ripoff, or homage?
Neraph
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Apr 12 2009, 09:19 AM) *
homage?

What was the phrase?

Plaigarization is the highest form of flattery?
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Neraph @ Apr 12 2009, 07:20 PM) *
What was the phrase?

Plaigarization is the highest form of flattery?

Tell that to old Willie Boy Gibson when talking about Shadowrun and see what happens *snickers* ^^
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Apr 10 2009, 06:14 AM) *
Yeah the gun shop at the range where I shoot has an ingram for sale-altered to be legal semi-auto. They let me handle it. it would look good in a movie but it sucks as a weapon. I couldn't see how to hold it that would contain the recoil AND let me aim at the same time. Call me crazy, I actually feel aiming is important. The only way I could see making it work was to add a stock to the back of it and that would, of course, make the weapon illegal under current laws. I guess a smart link would mean you don't have to aim directly from your eye line. It looks cool and is very compact but wow, FUGLY weapon from a practical point of view.

I thought the ingram was developed for special forces uses where you would need to saturate a corridor or something with many rounds while making your getaway. Kind of like a primitive PDW.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Apr 10 2009, 04:27 PM) *
I always felt that the Ares Predator was very reminiscent of the AMT Automag.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg178-e.htm

That's more like the Silverballers from Hitman.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 12 2009, 12:25 PM) *
Tell that to old Willie Boy Gibson when talking about Shadowrun and see what happens *snickers* ^^

rotfl.gif

it's threads like this I miss raygun.
Stahlseele
If i've made someone laugh, my day is complete ^^
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012