Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oni cost?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
suppenhuhn
Ooooh I remember the TMNT rpg by palladium.
I loved it but lost my copy unfortunately. frown.gif
Jhaiisiin
LOL I played a dragon straight out of character gen that was doing 6d6MD with most of his attacks. Surprisingly, I was the most powerful of the group... even moreso than the SON OF FRIGGIN' TYR godling character. I hate palladium.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ May 4 2009, 06:39 PM) *
LOL I played a dragon straight out of character gen that was doing 6d6MD with most of his attacks. Surprisingly, I was the most powerful of the group... even moreso than the SON OF FRIGGIN' TYR godling character. I hate palladium.

Downside of being a dragon:
Your age is measured in days to weeks (of course, your max age is hundreds of years!)

Wait, that's not a detriment!
Jhaiisiin
Oh, and you understand all magic, can use technomagic, and if you take an OCC, you get to actually have a decent range of skills. For irony, I made the dragon a Knight. And took the spell that let me understand all languages as one of my primary spells. Yay for being able to use anything ever. ohplease.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ May 4 2009, 06:50 PM) *
Oh, and you understand all magic, can use technomagic, and if you take an OCC, you get to actually have a decent range of skills. For irony, I made the dragon a Knight. And took the spell that let me understand all languages as one of my primary spells. Yay for being able to use anything ever. ohplease.gif

Doesn't quite compare to a time traveling augmented velociraptor in coolness though.

Or dying by being hit by two skyscrapers (there was a black hole between them, character was crushed as both buildings moved towards it).

Jim was in some of the best games.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ May 3 2009, 09:10 PM) *
Yes & no. The point values are off, putting them behind other metatypes, true. But there is still some mechanical appeal to playing them, because the only other race without negatives is Elves, & they are even worse off than Humans.

Of course, I only ever play Human, with rare exceptions of Elves, regardless of the system.

Just for curiosity sake... How is the Elf worse off than a human... they get 3 points of stats for their 30 BP cost as well as a Sense Enhancement... the only drawback is the loss of a single point of Edge... Seems pretty balanced to me...

Oh.... And Opinion is not Fact...
tsuyoshikentsu
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ May 4 2009, 12:06 PM) *
Define sensible.

A jury of twelve would find them mentally competent.

The developers design decisions were made with known or unknown assumptions and values that you disagree with. I have figured that out. But the decisions are not inherently wrong.

Yes they bloody well are. Making one race strictly better than another is an unjustifiable decision if a system is intended to be balanced.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Complete and total balance is an illusion...
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ May 4 2009, 02:26 PM) *
My assumption is that balance is what a sensible person looks for looks for in a system. I have yet to see this disproven.

Well in a game system I look for fun. Its weird I know trying to have fun playing games but some of us go for it. But hey I totally respect those of you over in Soviet Russia where the games run you, I dig that in a game where fun isn't the objective you want things balanced .

As I sit here eating my peanut butter, mayonnaise, mustard, bologna and cheese sandwich I wonder if a sensible person can accept that people have differing tastes and might enjoy different things. I think the answer is clearly no, since the games run you the only tastes you are allowed to have are the ones the game give you.
Glyph
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 4 2009, 05:42 PM) *
Just for curiosity sake... How is the Elf worse off than a human... they get 3 points of stats for their 30 BP cost as well as a Sense Enhancement... the only drawback is the loss of a single point of Edge... Seems pretty balanced to me...

Oh.... And Opinion is not Fact...

The elf comes out 10 points behind the human purely on points, 5 points behind if you count their natural low-light vision as a 5-point advantage. However, this is a good illustration of the flaw of looking only at points - the elf can effectively spend 30 more points on Attributes, and has a higher soft-max on Agility, which is probably the most overall valuable Attribute of the game, and Charisma, a desirable stat for both shamans and faces. Of course, they come out as a bargain if you include the equivalent of 2 exceptional Attributes over the human (Agility and Edge balancing each other out, more or less), except that exceptional Attribute is hideously overpriced, and breaks down when you try to apply it more than once to approximate a metahuman's advantages.

The point is, they are technically a bit behind on points, but are optimal for certain roles.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Glyph @ May 4 2009, 10:13 PM) *
The point is, they are technically a bit behind on points, but are optimal for certain roles.

Assuming that that makes the two races "balanced" against each other, then compare orks and oni in the same light.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Glyph @ May 4 2009, 09:13 PM) *

That role being virtually every active task in the game. Its a small role but someone has to fill it.
Glyph
QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 4 2009, 07:45 PM) *
Assuming that that makes the two races "balanced" against each other, then compare orks and oni in the same light.

When did I ever claim orks and oni were balanced against each other? Should they be? It comes down to variety vs. making every single option equally "good". Is every assault rifle as good as the Ares Alpha? Granted, I do wish they were more like elves vs. humans, or elves vs. dryads - in other words, one option not as optimal, but having some advantage that might inspire you to choose it.

Personally, I think the developers are virulently racist against blue-skinned people. I mean, Nartaki got screwed too.
Larme
QUOTE (Glyph @ May 4 2009, 11:58 PM) *
Personally, I think the developers are virulently racist against blue-skinned people. I mean, Nartaki got screwed too.

Can you imagine what a turd of a game you'd have if everyone was a Nartaki? It wouldn't be Shadowrun, it would mult MultiarmedfreakRun. No thanks! I'm ok with them existing, but I really really really don't want them to be a no-brainer choice!
tsuyoshikentsu
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 4 2009, 06:28 PM) *
Complete and total balance is an illusion...

Of course it is. But Jesus, oni vs. ork ain't exactly rocket science.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ May 5 2009, 12:17 AM) *
Of course it is. But Jesus, oni vs. ork ain't exactly rocket science.

Yeah but 5 points aint a lot either. I'd have non problem with them being mechanically balanced, but I just don't see 5 points as an issue.
tsuyoshikentsu
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ May 4 2009, 09:43 PM) *
Yeah but 5 points aint a lot either. I'd have non problem with them being mechanically balanced, but I just don't see 5 points as an issue.

That's a quality, a 2/3 contact, a rank of a skill plus extra, or 25,000 nuyen.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Glyph @ May 4 2009, 11:58 PM) *
When did I ever claim orks and oni were balanced against each other? Should they be? It comes down to variety vs. making every single option equally "good".

I never said that you claimed them to be balanced, I said that they need to be viewed in the same light as elf vs. human.

As for "equally good," no. But if Oni are going to cost more, there must be a niche that they fill. "Being/looking different" is not a niche.
tsuyoshikentsu
Qualification: "Being/looking different" is a niche. One that should give you points.
Glyph
QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 4 2009, 11:08 PM) *
As for "equally good," no. But if Oni are going to cost more, there must be a niche that they fill. "Being/looking different" is not a niche.

QUOTE (Glyph @ May 4 2009, 08:58 PM) *
Granted, I do wish they were more like elves vs. humans, or elves vs. dryads - in other words, one option not as optimal, but having some advantage that might inspire you to choose it.

Not disagreeing with that. Even something like the bonus to intimidation that I suggested would give them some niche to fill. It's just that a metatype being overcosted by 5 points, while not meaningless, really isn't that significant to me - there are a lot of bigger balance issues in the game.
Muspellsheimr
QUOTE (Glyph @ May 5 2009, 12:24 AM) *
- there are a lot of bigger balance issues in the game.

Compared to others, yes, the Oni vs. Ork vs. Ogre is fairly minor. However, it is the most blatantly obvious of the balance issues in the game, which is why I use it as an example whenever discussing the absurd pricing of various RAW racial options.

Oh, and while 5BP may only be 0.25% of a standard characters starting value, it is still rather significant, considering just how often I overspent when I used the BP system (& still tend to overspend, with my Karma system).
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ May 4 2009, 10:15 PM) *
That's a quality, a 2/3 contact, a rank of a skill plus extra, or 25,000 nuyen.

Exactly... Not all that bad of an option...
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 5 2009, 07:21 PM) *

Damn, you beat me to the snarky comment.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ May 5 2009, 06:52 PM) *
Damn, you beat me to the snarky comment.

That's Me... Snarky AND Fast...
tsuyoshikentsu
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 5 2009, 05:21 PM) *

What would you rather have, a quality or nothing? A 2/3 contact or nothing? 25,000 nuyen or nothing?
Draco18s
QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ May 5 2009, 11:53 PM) *
What would you rather have, a quality or nothing? A 2/3 contact or nothing? 25,000 nuyen or nothing?

It's not as bad as Alpha Omega. The different races don't cost BP, but some are clearly better than others. One of them is so inferior to it's genetic parent (half-demon and a half-angel had sex to create the annunaki) that it's equivalent to a rule that says, "During character creation you may chose to throw away 100BP for no gain. You may not gain these BP back at any point in the future."

(AO has a 500 BP chargen system and your expected character growth is about 100 to 150 BP per session--I'm not shitting you, it has power levels that greedily suck that BP up)

AO also has no skill for repairing items, despite a Repair Kit giving +3 to the check and a TN of [damage sustained]*[repair multiplier]. For Heavy Armor this means that 30 damage (of 100) has a TN of 90!

It should be noted that at chargen a character who is specialized gets about a 20-25 on their best skill on average.
Larme
QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ May 5 2009, 10:53 PM) *

You're rehashing what has already been said. Can you just accept that some people care less about 5 points than looking cool? Can you just accept that it's not retarded for some people to approve of how rareness is factored into BP costs for metavariants? Do you really have to beat the dead horse like your life depended on it? (If your answer is no, no, yes, then I feel sorry for you.)
tsuyoshikentsu
QUOTE (Larme @ May 5 2009, 11:04 PM) *
You're rehashing what has already been said. Can you just accept that some people care less about 5 points than looking cool? Can you just accept that it's not retarded for some people to approve of how rareness is factored into BP costs for metavariants? Do you really have to beat the dead horse like your life depended on it? (If your answer is no, no, yes, then I feel sorry for you.)

Yes, no, I do until you admit that it's a game balance issue.
Larsine
QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ May 6 2009, 08:29 AM) *

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
- George Orwell
Mäx
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ May 5 2009, 09:46 AM) *
Compared to others, yes, the Oni vs. Ork vs. Ogre is fairly minor. However, it is the most blatantly obvious of the balance issues in the game, which is why I use it as an example whenever discussing the absurd pricing of various RAW racial options.

Well their not nearly as absurd as the ones you provided, especially for Elfs/Trolls and their metavariants.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ May 1 2009, 09:57 PM) *
Can someone just shut this guy up?

No Comment needed.
Larme
QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ May 6 2009, 02:29 AM) *

You should not beat a dead horse just because you think one person still doesn't agree with you. Regardless, I can admit it's a game balance issue, but it's also so small as to be utterly inconsequential to my enjoyment of the game and therefore not worth house ruling. The points cost is based on fluff, and since I care about fluff, it's just fine with me.
tsuyoshikentsu
QUOTE (Larme @ May 6 2009, 08:14 AM) *
You should not beat a dead horse just because you think one person still doesn't agree with you. Regardless, I can admit it's a game balance issue, but it's also so small as to be utterly inconsequential to my enjoyment of the game and therefore not worth house ruling. The points cost is based on fluff, and since I care about fluff, it's just fine with me.

You have admitted that you do not ask for balance in a system. This is all I ask.
Larme
QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ May 6 2009, 02:40 PM) *
You have admitted that you do not ask for balance in a system. This is all I ask.

No, I admitted that I don't care about very small imbalances, especially when justified by fluff. You know that I didn't admit that game balance doesn't matter at all to me, you know that you blew my words out of proportion to make that statement. And pretending to believe what you know to be false? That's hypocrisy. Anyway, why do you "ask" me to admit things? You care that much about what I think? Or do you simply need to feel like you "won?"
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
I am pretty sure that this topic has been hijacked, beat, tortured, and left for dead...

Oh Well, it was fun while it lasted...
tsuyoshikentsu
QUOTE (Larme @ May 6 2009, 12:12 PM) *
No, I admitted that I don't care about very small imbalances, especially when justified by fluff.
Balance is balance. You have admitted that, to a point, you don't care about it.

Besides, this isn't a minor point; this is glaring.

Anyway, why do you "ask" me to admit things? You care that much about what I think? Or do you simply need to feel like you "won?"
Because I need to know that you're rational.
Larsine
QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ May 7 2009, 12:04 PM) *
Because I need to know that you're rational.

Why? You obviously discuss just for the sake of discussing. Is that rational?

Lars
Ustio
Not sure if this has been picked up but oni do actually have 1 advantage under KarmaGen:

Slightly more points to put into stats at no cost other than weird skin
Medicineman
Thats why I made Mine with Karmagen grinbig.gif

Hough!
Medicineman
suppenhuhn
QUOTE (Larsine @ May 7 2009, 12:52 PM) *
Why? You obviously discuss just for the sake of discussing. Is that rational?

Lars

Er, we have a problem with something and have to discuss this with people who don't care about it and now you say we discuss this issue just for the sake of discussing? rotate.gif
Zurai
QUOTE (Larme @ May 6 2009, 11:14 AM) *
The points cost is based on fluff, and since I care about fluff, it's just fine with me.

Why don't you care that it's incorrectly based on fluff, then?

The fluff states that most ethnic Japanese Orcs are Oni, and yet, Oni are priced higher than Orcs (despite having a penalty and no benefits in comparison to Orcs) purely based on them being "rare".

Oni aren't rare. They're actually, doing a bit of napkin math, probably the most common Orc metavariant.

Why, then, do we pay a point premium for their nonexistent rarity?
paws2sky
QUOTE (Zurai @ May 7 2009, 08:36 AM) *

Um... magic?

-paws
Medicineman
And,if the additional 5 Points are for rarity of the Oni,
If I want to play a Japanese Ork (no Oni) which is much rarer than an Oni,why don't they charge 5 Poinzts for that ?

I don't like the "rarity-control by Point-cost" No Sir,not at all.Thats why I'm building every Variant with the Karma-system

HouHouka
Medicineman
Larme
QUOTE (Zurai @ May 7 2009, 08:36 AM) *
Why don't you care that it's incorrectly based on fluff, then?

The fluff states that most ethnic Japanese Orcs are Oni, and yet, Oni are priced higher than Orcs (despite having a penalty and no benefits in comparison to Orcs) purely based on them being "rare".

Oni aren't rare. They're actually, doing a bit of napkin math, probably the most common Orc metavariant.

Orks are a minority of the Japanese population, and Japan, being a fairly small place, has a small minority of the world's population. Right now, Japan has 127 million, compared to the world's 6 billion. That's 2% of the world population. Assuming that populations stay roughly proportional, Oni are a minority of a 2% minority population. To say that they're not rare is, frankly, kind of crazy. They're not rare like pixies or anything, but they're not an everyday sight outside of Japan.

And like I said for the last jillion pages, there's no objective standard to say what the right points cost for rarity is. What do you want, an aglorithm that returns a point cost based on actual population statistics? If we had a mathematical function that proved that Oni cost 3.129384 points for how rare they are, would that be the point cost you want to use? Give me a break. Oni cost 5 points more because all metavariants cost at least 5 points extra, regardless of their abilities. That's the rule, and it represents how every metavariant is rarer than their parent race. If you don't like it, you can complain, but it doesn't make you right. Please see previous pages for an explanation of how you're not god, and you don't have any better of an objective standard to judge BP costs than the devs, since the correct values are always subjective. I've said my piece on the matter, and you can argue with me, but I won't be responding to such arguments because I have said enough on the subject, pages and pages worth. So you can argue with yourself in public if you feel like you can add something that hasn't already been said.
The Mack
QUOTE (Larme @ May 8 2009, 12:35 AM) *
Give me a break. Oni cost 5 points more because all metavariants cost at least 5 points extra, regardless of their abilities. That's the rule, and it represents how every metavariant is rarer than their parent race.

That's incorrect.

Ogres cost the same as Orks, and get a free 5 BP advantage.

They are rarer than Orks, and yet they cost the same price.

Menehune, same cost as Dwarves - free Underwater vision.

Hobgoblins & Giants, same costs as their parent metatypes.

Which brings us back to the original question, why do Oni cost 5 BP more than standard Orks, 5 BP more than Hobgoblins or Ogres (both ork subtypes that cost the same as their parent type) and have a disadvantage with no compensation?
Dragnar
I disagree with the notion of controlling rarity through cost, I'd rather control rarity through making them more rare (a fluff effect for a fluff cause). Still, it's a design decision and I understand the reason it was implemented that way, even if I would have done it differently.
If it would have been implemented consistently, though (as in, every metavariant costs 5 BP more than its advantages would suggest), there'd be at least a lot less discussion about it.
Still, this thread feels like the rerun of a rerun of a flik that wasn't all that interesting in the first place...
eidolon
The baiting and sniping in this thread needs to stop. Thanks.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (The Mack @ May 7 2009, 10:51 AM) *
Which brings us back to the original question, why do Oni cost 5 BP more than standard Orks, 5 BP more than Hobgoblins or Ogres (both ork subtypes that cost the same as their parent type) and have a disadvantage with no compensation?

Need to add the "Coolness" value into the cost calculation. Based on the results, Oni are empirically about 10 BP worth of "Cool" better then orks.

Every individuals measure of "Cool" is different, but the overall effect is expected that less people will pay that extra cost to be an Oni, and thus you have less Oni in the player population.
Meatbag
I've tried to stay out've this, but no, I can't resist.

1: Yes, the cost of Oni is a shaft.

2: Somebody that cares should FIX IT.

3: BP costs aren't the best form of enforcing in-game rarity - they only enforce rarity within PC groups, and PCs are exceptional by definition.

If the Sixth World's demographics are based on what players are likely to play, there are a lot more trolls than the fluff suggests.
The Mack
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ May 8 2009, 01:56 AM) *
Need to add the "Coolness" value into the cost calculation. Based on the results, Oni are empirically about 10 BP worth of "Cool" better then orks.

Every individuals measure of "Cool" is different, but the overall effect is expected that less people will pay that extra cost to be an Oni, and thus you have less Oni in the player population.

Are Oni somehow intrinsically cooler than Ogres, Menehune, Giants, Hobgoblins and Gnomes?

What was done points wise to have less of them in the player population?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012