Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magic got some?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
vladski
QUOTE (Bob Lord of Evil @ Jun 9 2009, 09:58 PM) *
I didn't want to constrain anybody's creativity but I would say that I am more interested in the following right out of chargen that would seem reasonable and yet competent...

Human
Mage
Attributes (nothing shorted to the point where it would raise an eyebrow)
Skills (be somewhat stealthy, low end martial arts, but a decent pistol shot, able to run a block without throwing up, ride a motorcycle in a chase, cast spells, summon a spirit, assencing maybe)
Spells (those first 8-10 spells should cover, protection, ranged combat strike, increased initiative passes, and an illusion spell or two to deal with getting into places that I don't really belong)
Enough cash afterwords for a low end apartment, motorcycle (big combat bike...not moped), pistola, a few clips of ammo, white noise generator, and a couple other tech toys.
Flaws (don't want to be the 3-legged cheetah, hermaphrodite, that is addicted to karaoke)
Edges (nothing in this area really blows my kilt up *BFG*)

You might try going for a Mystic Adept build. (Waits for the groans and the chorus "They suck!") Be very selective in your spells, take a good spirit mentor, buy foci and beef him up physically with adept powers. Go for decent Attributes and then take lower skills and beef them up via specialization.

I personally LIKE the Mystic adept I built and played. He was a great second gun, backup mage and for my group, a primo infiltrator. And, like you I didn't want to be a three legged, hermaphrodite, karaoke addict.  The flaws I took for him worked for my thoughts on the character to begin with.  I wanted him to be an average Joe that was sorta thrust into Shadowrunning, not some former Navy Seal that also went to astronaut school and who's favorite hobby is collecting oriculum.  I wanted him to be the "Security Guard"... the donut eating joker that is normally hiding under his desk when teh shadowrunners show up and hte first grenade gets tossed. The guy all the runners usually laugh at. Except, this guard, he survived... and he's coming for you.... wink.gif

Here's the guy's backstory, jsut in case you are interested.  I had a vague  idea of who I wanted this guy to be well before I started assigning BPs in a build.  Over all, he came out pretty darn close.

[ Spoiler ]

Here's my Mystic Adept:
"Dark Whisper" (James McClane)
Race: Elf
Male, age 28

Attributes (180BP)
Body: 3
Agility: 5
Reaction: 4(5*)
Strength: 2
Charisma: 4
Inutition: 4
Logic: 3
Willpower: 4

(* Boosted by Adept power: Improved Reflexes I)

Special Attributes
Initiative: 8(9*)
Initiative Passes:1(2*)
Edge: 2 (20BP)
Essence: 6
Magic: 6 (Split M3/A3) (65BP)

(* Boosted by Adept power: Improved Reflexes I)

Pos Qualities (15BP)
Mystic Adept 
Mentor Spirit (Raven) -Advantages: +2 dice for Manipulation spells, +2 dice for air spirits.
Disadvantages: Must make a Willpower +Charisma (3) Test to avoid exploiting someone else’s misfortune to his own advantage.

Neg Qualities (-35BP)
Criminal SIN
Alergy Mild/Common (Sunlight)
Sensitive System

Active Skills (88BP)
SpellCasting (Manipulation): 4(+2)
Counterspelling (Combat): 1(+2)
Summoning (Air): 1(+2)
Unarmed (Martial Arts): 1(+2)
Dodge (Melee): 1(+2)
Blades (Knives): 1(+2)
Pistols (Semi-auto): 1(+2)
Infiltration (Urban): 1(+2)
Perception (Visual): 2(+2)
Etiquette (Corp): 1(+2)
Pilot, Ground (Motorcycle): 1(+2)
Hardware (Maglocks): 1(+2)

Knowledge Skills (21 KP)
Security (Corp): 2(+2)
Sports (Soccer) 1(+2)
Zoology (birds) 1(+2)
Local Talismongers: 2
Local Street Docs: 2
Safehouses: 2
Police Procedures: 2
Drug Dealers: 1
Magic Background: 3
Runner Hangouts: 2

English (N)

Adept Powers
Improved Reflexes I
Astral Perception

Spells (24BP)
(Raven is +2 to to all Manipulation spells)(Also specialized in Spellcasting (Manipulation) for another +2)
Powerball (Com)
Heal (Heal)
Imp. Invisibility (Ill)
Armor (Man)
Ignite (Man)
Levitate (Man)
Shadow (Man)
Shapechange (Man)

Contacts (10BP)
Talismonger 4/2 (Ramses, blind Raven Shaman)
Fixer 1/3

Gear ( 65,000 or 13BP)
Street Lifestyle (500)
Power Focus +2 Large dark ruby set in white gold ring (50,000)
Sony Emperor Comlink (unregged) (750)
Predator, 2 (700)
Silencer, 2 (400)
Quickdraw Holster, 2 (200)
Smartlink contacts (550)
'Trodes (50)
Longcoat (750)
Rating 3 Fake SIN (3,000)
CMT Clip Comlink (w/above Fake SIN) (300)
120 Reg Ammo +6 clips (510)
60 Gel Rounds +4 clips (200)
Survival Kit, 2 (200)
19 doses Cram (190)
Medkit R4 (300)
Used Indian Pathfinder (2066) (4800)
Survival knife, 2 (100)
Maglock Sequencer, R4 (600)
Autopicker, R3 (400)

Vlad
McAllister
Not a bad build. Many would tell you that Improved Reflexes is hopelessly overpriced compared to Synaptic Boosters, but both are certainly options.

Also, kiddies, remember; manipulation may well be the single most versatile class (school? variety?) of magic. Ignite is as vicious as most combat spells, Influence is almost as good as a face (particularly if you don't care about talking to your target ever again) and most of the other spells have some fun applications.
Falconer
You do realize that ignite needs to be sustained right?

EG: need to sustain it long enough for it to be permanent... just like a heal spell.
Needs to be sustained for 2x drain COMBAT TURNS before it'll take effect... EG: it'll work to start a fight (provided nobody notices it being cast at high enough force to have an effect) but after that... no not really.

You really haven't been playing mages correctly at all McAllister based on your comments in other threads.

Agree... though... manipulation should have been broken up a bit more. (I would have made physical and mental manpiulations seperate spell categories). Manipulations only problem tends to be most of it's effects have higher drain codes.

To vladski:
Only problem I see in your mystic adept is you're way overspending on specializations. Not that I don't recommend specializing, but unless the specialization is extremely pertinent to the character... generally it's best to wait to spend your first bits of karma on it and spend the BP to raise skills in the first place. (it'll cost you 4karma to raise most of those skills to 2... but only 2 karma to specialize them. Which is the better use of 2BP in the long run).

Also, you're spending a lot of BP for specializations which you'd be better off spending karma in play for... you seem to understand that mystic adepts really need to specialize though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012