Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bein' a Kid
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
ScooterinAB
After playing around with Shadowrun 4th for a bit, I think I'm ready to try a Hacker (I tend to try more mundane characters until I get comfortable with the rules).

I was thinking that it could be interesting to try and play some Matrix savvy kid who has to sneak out to run or hack at a distance after it's his bedtime. I got the idea when an old character I was playing has to hire this MMO kid to hack for us, because we were quite poor and lame. Also, I love the idea of a team finding out that their hacker is just a little kid.

Unfortunately, there are a few issues I'm having with making the kid. And search fu only turned up one way of handling it, but it was more of a campaign thing than an individual character option (mostly about BP restrictions and the like, rather than actual character effects).

Most roleplaying games I've played have some kind of Kid disadvantage, which usually limits some physical stats and applies a few social modifiers. Shadowrun seems to lack anything like this, other than taking Dependant and just reversing is that the character depends on another person (rather than being depended on).

Another concern is life style. Athough the Runner's Companion has an option for still living at home, it's not really realistic for a kid (a Medium Lifestyle is still thousands per month for the character). I was thinking of building a custom Lifestyle based on what he himself has (for example, his Comfort would represent his bedroom instead of his house, or his Entertainment would represent his allowance and personal fun money, instead of his parent's). Additionally, there would be roleplay effects, like chores and curfew. However, this doesn't really deal with the cost issue, and giving the kid a massively reduced Lifestyle cost is kind of unfair for others.

Anyone have any hard and fast suggestions to do a Kid as a PC? From a game design standpoint, I'm interested in making the character self contained (in case I change GM's) rather than having external game effects dictating being a Kid works. This means self containing all of the effects of being a kid using things like Negative Qualities and lower points spent on Resources, rather than relying a GM to come up with the effects.

Help is much appreciated.
Khyron
Low physical stats maybe?

Lifestyle would probably have to be done via GM approval, or take a variation of the "Trust Fund" Quality which covers living expenses and allowance.
Jaid
there is a surge quality in runner's companion that makes you physically a young teen or less permanently (i think it says something like 10-13 being around the age where you stop growing). you could look there for an idea of how to handle the physical aspect.

as for the rest, iirc there is a lifestyle option that lets you have roommates, isn't there?
Tiger Eyes
Runner's Companion has "Living with Parents" lifestyle quality (p. 163). Combine it with Corporate Owned (p. 163) and Day Job. Personally I'd have the Day Job be full-time high-school attendance (which is equal to, what, 30 hrs a week? and can always be a virtual school). Then the "salary" - for 30 hrs a week would be somewhere between 2,500 & 4,000, is rolled directly to the lifestyle costs. So you aren't really getting the lifestyle for "free." I'd still say you had to pay for your own entertainment costs, gas for your car, dates, etc. Of course if you drop out of school, the "salary" goes away - representing your parents kicking you out! wink.gif

As a player I'd say this was fair, just like any other character who takes a Day Job quality and uses the nuyen to pay for their lifestyle.
Aaron
If you're playing a teenager, you might want to keep the amygdala thing in mind. A lot of people believe that a teenager's amygdalae are hyper-active, but I think it would be more accurate to say that the brain is playing with its new toy. Most input is routed through the amygdala in teens (if I'm remembering my Ed. Psych right; I'm not the best at bio). Basically, when playing a teen, consider first how everything makes your character feel, and react that way first. If that makes any sense.

To the teen-aged DSers: I'm not saying that you're all a bunch of over-emotional people. Well, okay, I am, but not in a bad way. This is how your brain works, and will continue to work until you're somewhere between 19 and 22. It doesn't mean you're incapable of rational thought, or that you're necessarily overly emotional. Anyway, yeah, it sucks, I know. If you want to yell at me, feel free to PM me. =i)
CodeBreaker
One thing that might be worth noting is the legality of basic cyber/bio for people under the age of 18. If I remember right, from the fluff, it is illegal for minors to have basically any Cyber installed at all. Datajacks are a no no (Skulls still growing and stuff), everything else would probably be the same.

Source: Unwired Pg. 42.
Direct Neural Interface
Be wary of people who tell you that DNI is the only way to
fly. You might think that you can get a datajack even though it’s
illegal in most places to buy a DNI before you’re 18 or 21, but be
careful. You’re probably not done growing, so a datajack is not a
good idea yet
ScooterinAB
Thanks for the tips. I agree that Cyberware is generally a no go (to much physical growth). Apparently though, a teen's head and brain have mostly growth already, so I think a datajack and some other pieces of less invasive cyberware would be ok (not great, but not like a youth sized cyberarm). Of course, that assumes that he can get the surgery to begin with.

Something to keep in mind is that part of Unwired is a fluff section, being accounted by another shadowrunner. I'm not sure if it would hold up (or if s/he is even correct).

What other ideas are out there?
fistandantilus4.0
Try playing a younger kid from this perspective; what seperates a kid from an adult is essentially experience. Depending on how much the kid has experienced, what they've gone through or had to do (street survival for example), could make them seem very adult, especially through the anonymity of the matrix.

Try reading Way of the Shadows by Brent Weeks. Wicked book.
Machiavelli
QUOTE (ScooterinAB @ Aug 9 2009, 07:29 AM) *
Also, I love the idea of a team finding out that their hacker is just a little kid.

Aeeehm....honestly. How would you react if you find out that your hacker connection that it highly recommended of being reliable and loyal, is basically a kid, still living at home? I would lay my life in the hands of a 13-year old kid, no matter how professional he is. Even the THOUGHT that i would be standing in front of a door that has to be opened by him, the hot breath of the hellhounds already feelable in my neck and suddenly there is no contact anymore because he has to put the trash out (like in Galaxy Quest) or he has to go to bed and mom switches his commlink off. No way.^^ I would refuse to run with such an contact. Even if he wouldn´t live at home (being a street kid with his own flat etc.) kids aren´t well known for reliablility and logical actions. No good choice.
Erl of Ingst
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Aug 10 2009, 12:06 AM) *
Aeeehm....honestly. How would you react if you find out that your hacker connection that it highly recommended of being reliable and loyal, is basically a kid, still living at home? I would lay my life in the hands of a 13-year old kid, no matter how professional he is. Even the THOUGHT that i would be standing in front of a door that has to be opened by him, the hot breath of the hellhounds already feelable in my neck and suddenly there is no contact anymore because he has to put the trash out (like in Galaxy Quest) or he has to go to bed and mom switches his commlink off. No way.^^ I would refuse to run with such an contact. Even if he wouldn´t live at home (being a street kid with his own flat etc.) kids aren´t well known for reliablility and logical actions. No good choice.

This assumes a normal 13 year old kid would even be a shadowrunner. I doubt they have the same lifestyle or mental capacity of the other children his age. You are probably looking more at characters from Ender's Game. Super smart children with parents who are slightly neglectful as long as their children maintain their grades. Besides, upper-middle class families wouldn't need to take out the trash (or do any other such activity) with all the techbots running around. Unless the parents believe in character building but surely a kid who is a shadowrunner suggests that the parents failed the 'character building' test at an early age. Besides, the kid can't be any more mentally unstable than the other runners.
Machiavelli
That is true, but he definitely has other preferences. He lacks the seriousness that only comes with longer life-experience. As an additional disadvantage he also lacks average physical stats as well as equal skills in comparison with his adult equivalent. If he is one of this wonder-children he may have the skills, but he definitely lacks all the other points. It is difficult enough to depend your life on an sociopathic street-grunt, but on a kid that hardly knows what the world is about is seriously suicidal.
Khyron
Kid or not, he's still shadowrunning. I'd imagine after this kid made his first big payday, he'd run away from home, get his own place and live the life. This has the problem of him becoming extremely jaded and/or shellshocked by adulthood, or dead.
Ol' Scratch
I can't stand to see people make kids as characters except in off-kilter games or scenarios. It's why I hated the original incarnation of the otaku so very, very much.

Shadowrunners are, for the most part, professional criminals for hire. Few people are going to be willing to hire a kid for any kind of shadowrun, especially when shadowrunners are so common, disposable and easy to come by. They're extremely memorable, they're prone to be emotional and bratty, they're harder to disguise or otherwise pass off as someone else, and few other shadowrunners would want to work with one for all the same reasons and more. Their few niche advantages are greatly overshadowed by their uselessness.

They're just flat-out annoying. Even in other cyberpunkish fiction. Take the kid from Robocop 2 as a prime example.
Tricen
I tend to think of things through the prism of "If it's fun, we'll make it work." and so this is how I see it. Stats and character creation should be gone over with your GM to make sure everyone is on board. To try and keep some sort of realism (and not alienate the other PCs) work your character in as a person that has never been physically seen. Then, if you want to get the shock value of him being a kid, you can go on a couple of runs to build a rep with your team and can use that to maintain the relationship. "Ok, I know I shoulda been straight with you guys, but remember those turrets threatening to send you to hell? Yeah, that was me that stopped them." Just my take.
Critias
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Aug 10 2009, 12:52 PM) *
I can't stand to see people make kids as characters except in off-kilter games or scenarios. It's why I hated the original incarnation of the otaku so very, very much.

Shadowrunners are, for the most part, professional criminals for hire. Few people are going to be willing to hire a kid for any kind of shadowrun, especially when shadowrunners are so common, disposable and easy to come by. They're extremely memorable, they're prone to be emotional and bratty, they're harder to disguise or otherwise pass off as someone else, and few other shadowrunners would want to work with one for all the same reasons and more. Their few niche advantages are greatly overshadowed by their uselessness.

They're just flat-out annoying. Even in other cyberpunkish fiction. Take the kid from Robocop 2 as a prime example.

+ one bajillion.
Lok1 :)
Thing is though, a shadowrunner can be anyone with the correct skills. Who's to say a computer hacker teenager 13+ dosn't have the skills needed to hack a system.
Aaron
I believe that /dev/grrl is 15 when she's featured in the vignette in Unwired, so I can agree with you there.
CodeBreaker
Wasn't /dev/grrl featured in one of the 3rd Edition books Shadowtalk? She must be getting on a bit by now? Or am I mistaken?
Critias
QUOTE (Lok1 :) @ Aug 10 2009, 08:26 PM) *
Thing is though, a shadowrunner can be anyone with the correct skills. Who's to say a computer hacker teenager 13+ dosn't have the skills needed to hack a system.

I would argue that a shadowrunner can be anyone with the correct skills and mindset. Seriously, how well would a thirteen year old fit into Heat or something?

Like everything else, though, it's up to the game table in question. If the rest of the players and the GM are fine with it, and it fits with the mood of their game to have a computer wiz middle schooler, more power to 'em. But it doesn't sit right with the type of game I run, at least, and several others.
Erl of Ingst
I find it strange so many people are against kids as shadowrunners. I agree with Tricen. It's about the role-play and it can work. They can have just as many reasons to shadowrun as anyone else. Maybe they are rebelling against their parents. Maybe they actually live with their grandmother because the corps killed their parents. Adoption. Living on the streets (Abandoned). A freak. You name it, life/shadowrun has it.

QUOTE (Critias @ Aug 10 2009, 06:48 PM) *
I would argue that a shadowrunner can be anyone with the correct skills and mindset. Seriously, how well would a thirteen year old fit into Heat or something?

Who says a kid doesn't have the mindset. The way I've noticed shadowrun's themes is most shadowrunners are disillusioned with society and want to strike back against 'the man.' That sounds like a college student, but the entire depressing scenario of shadowrun puts it easily into the realm of a teenager. So 'mindset' of a teenager: depressed, hates the world, and borderline suicidal. That doesn't sound like a shadowrunner. Of course, to be completely honest, I have no idea what 'Heat' is referencing.

QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Aug 10 2009, 10:52 AM) *

I find the first part a contradiction. If they are professionals for hire they aren't disposable and if they are disposable why not use kids? If no one finds out who sent the kid on the run when the trideo reports come on, who cares; and if they have the skills to hack, who cares if he is pint sized? As long as we are throwing stereotypes about children.

Elves: Snobby, High on themselves
Orks: Not much better than a street thug
Troll: Stupid muscle

If you are running as a 'professional' would you want anyone in the group to be snobby, a street thug, or stupid. That sounds like a fast way of getting yourself killed.

Then there is the disguising issue. Have you seen all the expanded rules of the game? How many different types of freaks are running around in the Runner's Companion. On top of that, with all the cyber mods people can get, how difficult would it be to spot a particular runner in a lineup. Heck, a dwarf looks like a child and when a child is all gears up for a run they might not be very distinguishable from a dwarf. This is, of course, assuming they need to be on the run (See full immersion). 'Day Job' Negative Quality speaks for itself, as well as 'Dependent'.

I'm not saying a GM doesn't have a right to say no to any character idea. If the kid doesn't work for your run, then I guess it is too bad for them. I just want everyone to keep an open mind to the possibilities. Try to work around a character flaw rather than ignore the possibilities. Heck, do you really want to tell someone they can't play their favorite character because you are unwilling to work with them? You can work it into the game if you want to put in the effort.

Give them a social penalty. Leadership skill? Not likely people will listen to them. Negotiation? Probably going to get screwed, people steal money from children all the time. Physical attributes? Not good (unless they are about 16 then they usually can have a good body/agility/reaction).

Okay, getting a little long. Sorry, I would just rather a DM work my character concept into their game design then outright refuse it because it is too challenging.
Ol' Scratch
It hardly has anything to do with being challenging. It has everything to do with just not being believable whatsoever except in goofy games. It never works well, it always comes across lame, it's always crippling to every other character on the team as well as would-be employers, and it's always incredibly lame. It also never improves a game in my experience. The entire game essentially revolves around having a kid in the group which is bad form no matter what.

Can you force a scenario where it works? Sure. Just like they do in other genres such as the superhero genre with teams like the Teen Titans. That doesn't mean it makes any sense whatsoever, though. Like a group of teens are going to be fully autonomous with a huge landmark of a business office under their complete and utter control? And other superheroes with an ounce of morality are going to let a bunch of kids run around putting their lives at risk on a regular basis? Batman, sure, but he's a psycho. But someone like Superman? Wonder Woman? Just about any Green Lantern? Ridiculous.

Which is the entire crux; even within a genre where the unbelievable becomes believable, having kids doing shit like that is a huge strain on a person's suspension of disbelief. But if everyone who's a part of that scenario is fine with ignoring that disbelief, good for them. That doesn't make it a good idea for the genre as a whole, however.
Khyron
I wouldn't necessarily say it's non believable, but I always found the trope of the super-talented preteen know-it-all to be terribly annoying and only acceptable to other people in that age group. I honestly don't see it happening outside of a goofy act of rebellion and only lasting one run until the kid gets shot at and realizes he's in over his head, breaks down and cries for his parents.
Critias
QUOTE (Erl of Ingst @ Aug 10 2009, 11:32 PM) *
Who says a kid doesn't have the mindset. The way I've noticed shadowrun's themes is most shadowrunners are disillusioned with society and want to strike back against 'the man.' That sounds like a college student, but the entire depressing scenario of shadowrun puts it easily into the realm of a teenager. So 'mindset' of a teenager: depressed, hates the world, and borderline suicidal. That doesn't sound like a shadowrunner. Of course, to be completely honest, I have no idea what 'Heat' is referencing.

It's not just about wanting to strike back against society (and in many games, it's not about that AT ALL), it's about having the capacity to do so (which is the skill set, already mentioned), and the ability to do so repeatedly, confidentially, professionally, quietly, etc, etc, etc. You can't just be a really bright kid with a few high skills and a chip on his shoulder. You've got to have the professional part of "professional criminal," if you expect people to pay you thousands and thousands of nuyen to do illegal jobs for them, and if you expect other professional criminals to work with you with any regularity.

Which, as I'm well aware, is all stuff that comes down to who's running the game, and what flavor of Shadowrun you like. That's why I referenced Heat (it's a movie, for the record), because it's generally done well as a sort of weather marker to show people the type of game I like to play in. If you're playing Magical Anime Robin Hood In Seattle, then I'm sure a spunky 13 year old sidekick can fit in just fine. Heck, even if you're playing the D&D With Guns version of Shadowrun (as opposed to "Cyberpunk With Elves," the flavor I prefer), a prodigy thirteen year old superhacker can probably pull his weight.

But if you're playing something a little darker, you just can't toss a middle school kid into the middle of the Meet, and not expect Mr. Johnson to laugh and then have you all murdered for wasting his fucking time.
Erl of Ingst
Yes... horribly unbelievable that a child would do something illegal and get started into a life of crime at an early age... It never happens in real life... children never fire guns or have a shitty life that they need to do illegal acts to survive... only 'adult.'

Keep in mind that they aren't Teen Titans who are fighting crime. They are criminals and the only people who care that they are putting themselves in danger are themselves (and some old grandma watching the news who sees a dead child criminal and has a flashback to "the good ol' days").

Yes, it is far less believable having a child doing illegal activity on the street than it is to have, what... AI? Goblins? Shapeshifters? Magic users? Companies that are trying to control our lives?

I was going for irony on the last question, but you see my point. If you make a game centered around this unique character than it will be, but if you let it happen and everyone flows with it well it doesn't need to be the focal point and it surely doesn't need to be 'lame'; at least any more lame than a character wanting to be a vampire or 'Mr. I Like Big Guns' or I'm a big dumb strong troll or etc.
LurkerOutThere
Ok first in the spirit of answering the original question I would look to something like elf-poser as a guideline. it's a disadvantage that if found out might have bad repercusions as far as your characters rep is concerned. As far as mechanical representations beyond that I really have no guidance. Any hard and fast societal rule could be explained through back--story. Want cyber-ware? Your sinless and you, or your guardian found a less then ethical cyberdoc. (There's a redundancy) Why would a kid be running? Maybe they are an orphan or they are their families primary bread winner. Maybe they have a score to settle, the reason their running could be the same as any other runner.

QUOTE (ScooterinAB @ Aug 9 2009, 12:29 AM) *
.... Also, I love the idea of a team finding out that their hacker is just a little kid...

Right but what are they going to do if they insist on a meat meeting and then decide they won't run with you anymore based on your child status? What if a johnson who insists on a meat meetigns won't hire you because of your child status? Part of it depends on how young you want to play, a 14-18 year old might not be a problem. A 8 year old? Oh yes there will be problems.

Going into the area of an editorial I usually caution players against, if not outright ban character concepts that are automatically incompatable with others or those whos only pupose seems to be to cause conflict with others. Take it as you will.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Erl of Ingst @ Aug 11 2009, 01:51 AM) *
Yes... horribly unbelievable that a child would do something illegal and get started into a life of crime at an early age... It never happens in real life... children never fire guns or have a shitty life that they need to do illegal acts to survive... only 'adult.'

Keep in mind that they aren't Teen Titans who are fighting crime. They are criminals and the only people who care that they are putting themselves in danger are themselves (and some old grandma watching the news who sees a dead child criminal and has a flashback to "the good ol' days").

Yes, it is far less believable having a child doing illegal activity on the street than it is to have, what... AI? Goblins? Shapeshifters? Magic users? Companies that are trying to control our lives?

I was going for irony on the last question, but you see my point. If you make a game centered around this unique character than it will be, but if you let it happen and everyone flows with it well it doesn't need to be the focal point and it surely doesn't need to be 'lame'; at least any more lame than a character wanting to be a vampire or 'Mr. I Like Big Guns' or I'm a big dumb strong troll or etc.

Please give me an example from a related genre's movie or television series that meets the following criteria. Suitable genres include the fantasy, adventure, sci-fi and cyberpunk genres.
  1. A kid (defined as someone 14 or younger and who looks and acts like one) is a major contributor to a team of equally skilled professionals.
  2. The kid is not being carried by another team member or any other character; they are completely independent.
  3. The kid is not completely annoying to the audience.
  4. The kid isn't simply a vessel for a superior entity such as a god or alien.
  5. The kid's presence isn't a burden to the team or other characters, such as limiting their options to resolving the plot.
  6. The kid isn't part of an all-kid or mostly-kid team where you have to completely ignore your suspension of disbelief.
I really look forward to hearing anything you might find because in all my days, I have never even heard of such a scenario. I can cite many, many examples to the contrary, though. I can also cite numerous examples involving AIs, Shapeshifters, Magicians, Gun Nuts, and other similar archetypes, however.
Machiavelli
Children suck. They even suck a little bit more as RPG-chars. Thats a fact like water is wet. You don´t have to like it. I won´t change anyway.^^
Aaron
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ImprobableAge

There's precedent.
CodeBreaker
Noes! You linked "That Site"! I am doomed for the rest of the day!

And I take it we are not taking Anime into consideration when you asked that? Because if so the answer would have to be: Basically every Anime ever made nyahnyah.gif
Critias
QUOTE (Aaron @ Aug 11 2009, 08:10 AM) *

Well, shyeah. I mean, if Ash and his buddies can wander the dangerous Pokemon world at just ten years old, surely such a character can fit in just fine into every Shadowrun game ever, regardless of what feel or flavor the GM and other players might be striving for.

I'm convinced!
ScooterinAB
I should clarify a few things. I am an experienced gamer, with some 10 years of roleplaying experience. When I develop characters, I try to do something that is outside of my regular norms, a tiny bit quirky, or something that would provide me with a challange. The notion of playing a kid in Shadowrun falls into that third category. It provides and interesting character detail that would be quite a challange to my skills as a gamer. The reason why I started the thread was to look into the disadvantages of playing a younger character. I fully intend to have very little cyberware, a little less money, and a whole bunch of social problems that will be addressed through game (like child prejudice and having less freedom). That's because they all make sense. Simply forbidding the idea because kids are winy and immature diesn't make sense.

I think in this specific case, with the character details I have in mind, that is character is very viable. Of course it requires a certain kind of game (and GM approval), but that is mostly just making sure the GM is prepared for the character more than anything. You have to remember that we are talking about Shadowrun here. It is a game of stereotypes and broken stereotypes. It is a game where a Troll Ganger could be interested in the finer points of life (like poetry and tea drinking) in order to take his mind off of the horrible things he does. It is a game where an Elf could be not fopish and irritating, but rather strong and hard boiled. It is a game where it is quite likely that some teenaged script kitty is actually the elite hacker the team hired to help them out (whether they know it or not). It is a game where things that are out of the ordinary are quite likely to happen.

If having a younger teen in your party isn;t your bag, that's fine. But that doesn't mean that it isn't a reasonable character. As long as the character is thought out, there shouldn't be a problem.
Aaron
QUOTE (Critias @ Aug 11 2009, 12:00 PM) *
Well, shyeah. I mean, if Ash and his buddies can wander the dangerous Pokemon world at just ten years old, surely such a character can fit in just fine into every Shadowrun game ever, regardless of what feel or flavor the GM and other players might be striving for.

I'm convinced!

Dr. Funkenstien was looking for examples in fiction. If you'd like examples from reality, there's precedent there, too.
Ol' Scratch
Still waiting for a valid example that meets my criteria. (Hint: None of your links meets them. Especially the last one.)
Aaron
You must have missed Fullmetal Alchemist in the TV Tropes link.

1. They're kids.
2. They both contribute.
3. While occasionally annoying, they both also have very grown-up or dramatic moments.
4. Neither of the kids are vessels for superior entities.
5. Neither of the kids are a burden. In fact, they are often working side-by-side with adults.
6. While the two of them mostly strike out on their own, they also work side-by-side with adults and carry their own weight.

Aside from that, there's also Spider-Man (especially the Ultimates series), X-Men and spin-offs (particularly the Xcalibur and the like), A Song of Ice and Fire, Naruto (whose team is all kids, but often works beside adults), The Incredibles (as opposed to the Incredulous, who are often seen posting on DSF), The Two Towers (film version), 24 (Redemption), and likely a few others. Incidentally, I compiled this list from the link I originally posted.

This is not including real-life, of course (your criteria specifically asked for film and tv shows, so that leaves out a lot of examples, especially from literature). There is at least one example I can think of off the top of my head of a person aged 14 or younger having won the Medal of Honor in battle; there are probably more.

I can also say, as someone who routinely works with teenagers, that many of them are more than capable of working side-by-side with adults. However, personal experience, like personal incredulity, is not a good argument, so I would weigh it little against other arguments.
Erl of Ingst
First, let me say ScooterinAB clarified things quite well. I agree 100% with everything he just said. Now, lets talk about your quote Dr. Funkenstein.

QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Aug 11 2009, 05:19 AM) *
Please give me an example from a related genre's movie or television series that meets the following criteria. Suitable genres include the fantasy, adventure, sci-fi and cyberpunk genres.
  1. A kid (defined as someone 14 or younger and who looks and acts like one) is a major contributor to a team of equally skilled professionals.
  2. The kid is not being carried by another team member or any other character; they are completely independent.
  3. The kid is not completely annoying to the audience.
  4. The kid isn't simply a vessel for a superior entity such as a god or alien.
  5. The kid's presence isn't a burden to the team or other characters, such as limiting their options to resolving the plot.
  6. The kid isn't part of an all-kid or mostly-kid team where you have to completely ignore your suspension of disbelief.
I really look forward to hearing anything you might find because in all my days, I have never even heard of such a scenario. I can cite many, many examples to the contrary, though. I can also cite numerous examples involving AIs, Shapeshifters, Magicians, Gun Nuts, and other similar archetypes, however.

1: You want a kid who looks and acts like a kid. Now lets (first) assume you are talking about the average child. This of course would be a contradiction to the entire theme. In fact, a normal adult would contradict the theme of shadowrun. Normal adults don't do illegal activity for money... ever. Otherwise they aren't your average adult, they are abnormal. So, lets cross out the points that they look and act like a 14 or less child, because your just trying to limit the emotional capacity of them. Even if we aren't limiting that, lets assume you are looking at perhaps abnormal child behavior. The rare intellectual gem in the mass expanse of immature midgets (since, most child runners are type casted as hackers).

Real Life
Fantasy World

Now I'm not going to look through them all to make sure they aren't annoying, gifted by some supernatural source, or a burden to their team. But then again we are still defining your first point. And you contradict yourself anyway. You are asking me to find a child who acts like a child, but doesn't act like a child. If you don't understand that point, lets just skip it and go to the next.

2: "Carried by another team member" - Much like the unconscious spellcaster or hacker after they have fought their difficult battles in the realm most mortals dare not go.

"they are completely independent" - Why would you ever shadowrun in a team if you were completely independent? Is your character completely independent? Can they hack, cast spells, fire guns, and negotiate? Do you need to do all that to have a complete character or can you specialize?

3: "annoying to the audience" - I'm sorry, I wasn't aware shadowrun was a movie. First, I thought Keanu Reeves was pretty damn annoying in Johnny Mnemonic. Second, I know you are talking about Wesley Crusher, shame on you. Third, if you aren't talking about him, then you are talking about all children in general; personally I don't find all children annoying. Fourth, if the character is annoying that has more to do with roleplaying style than being a kid; I guarantee I can make an annoying adult just as easily as I can make an annoying child.

4: Next, what is wrong with having a child possessed by a god or alien? Can you not have an adult that is the same? Can you not roleplay a character who is possessed by a god or an alien? Sounds to me like you don't have something against child characters, but when people play them in an annoying way.

5: "The kid's presence isn't a burden to the team or other characters, such as limiting their options to resolving the plot." There are many qualities that someone can take to become a burden, not just a child character. There are many metahumans races that can be a burden to the team. I hear racism is an issue in the year 2070. It is all how the GM decides to limit the group. If someone decides to be a child and the GM wants to punish their choice by saying, "Oh, you just screwed your team, Mr. Johnson now refuses to work with you because your a child," then of course being a child is dumb. Of course, I can see it happening this way too, "Oh, you just screwed your team, Mr. Johnson now refuses to work with you because your a Troll." Funny how changing one word can destroy an argument, neh?

6: Well, I'm glad this isn't a fictional game where we need to believe everything is compatible with the real world, otherwise I would never have guessed how it could be possible a spirit made of fire could appear in front of my character. (did you get the sarcasm?)

When you try to fit every character into your neat little package you made it can make games limited and boring. It also limits the genre so fewer people want to play. I'm pretty sure they didn't add vampires to the game because they thought it fit a Magical Cyberpunk, but maybe I'm wrong.

On a side note: Sorry about the format. I don't spend much time on forums so I haven't figured out how to hide text when I write too much and it fills up the page. I'll work on that.
Ol' Scratch
Too much to quote and reply, so I'm going to skim to the juicy parts in my reply.

QUOTE (Aaron @ Aug 11 2009, 01:37 PM) *
You must have missed Fullmetal Alchemist in the TV Tropes link.

No, I just avoid any and all forms of Japanese anime as much as I possibly can. It's shite.

Aside from that, there's also Spider-Man (especially the Ultimates series), X-Men and spin-offs (particularly the Xcalibur and the like)

Spider-Man isn't part of a team and has not been a kid for a very, very long time (late teen != kid, and formerlly married, graduated college student most certianly doesn't). The X-Men are part of a team comprised of other kids in a setting that's completely irresponsible and forces the viewer to suspend all disbelief in order to believe a team of kids are out risking their lives, so that's right out, too.

The Two Towers (film version)

No idea who you're talking about here. It's clearly not the adult hobbits who were in the Fellowship. You know, the ones who were drinking booze, living on their own, and simply had a few innocent qualities as a part of their race rather than due to age. Those aren't the "kids" you're referring to in the Two Towers, are you? Surely not.

Your other references are a big "what?" to me, so I can't reply about them.

This is not including real-life, of course (your criteria specifically asked for film and tv shows, so that leaves out a lot of examples, especially from literature). There is at least one example I can think of off the top of my head of a person aged 14 or younger having won the Medal of Honor in battle; there are probably more.

You again mistake kids who can do acts like this with functional members of a professional team being hired as freelancers by professional businessmen and criminal bosses. To do things such as corporate espionage, extractions, and wetwork. Professionals aren't going to want to work with a snot-nosed kid, and Johnsons and other clients aren't going to want to hire one when they can easily hire an adult with the exact same skillset who isn't a liability with a huge, flashing, neon "NOTICE ME" sign over their head. A kid is going to stand out in a crowd of criminals far more than a mohawked dwarf or a gigantic troll will.

QUOTE (Erl of Ingst @ Aug 11 2009, 02:34 PM) *
2: "Carried by another team member" - Much like the unconscious spellcaster or hacker after they have fought their difficult battles in the realm most mortals dare not go.

Yes, that's clearly what I was referring to. sarcastic.gif

"they are completely independent" - Why would you ever shadowrun in a team if you were completely independent? Is your character completely independent? Can they hack, cast spells, fire guns, and negotiate? Do you need to do all that to have a complete character or can you specialize?

Completely independent, as clearly described in context with the rest of that criteria, means someone who doesn't need anyone else to function propertly. It's a criteria. Not the defacto state of being for all kid characters.

Damn, accidently deleted the third rebuttal and I can't recall what I originally said (damn my medication). But in a nutshell, I was referring specifically to characters like the kid in Robocop 2 first and foremost. You know, the ones who are annoying to the audience in a film or -- and unless you're really a fool instead of just pretending to be one while replying to these criteria -- other players at the table in a Shadowrun game.

4: Next, what is wrong with having a child possessed by a god or alien? Can you not have an adult that is the same? Can you not roleplay a character who is possessed by a god or an alien? Sounds to me like you don't have something against child characters, but when people play them in an annoying way.

Again, are you just pretending to not get these criteria? I really hope you are. But on the off-chance you're not, it's a clear reference to "kids" who aren't kids at all -- such as Ra in the Stargate movie. So trying to use one as an example is completely and utterly invalid because they're not kids, they just happen to look like one.

5: "The kid's presence isn't a burden to the team or other characters, such as limiting their options to resolving the plot." There are many qualities that someone can take to become a burden, not just a child character. There are many metahumans races that can be a burden to the team. I hear racism is an issue in the year 2070. It is all how the GM decides to limit the group. If someone decides to be a child and the GM wants to punish their choice by saying, "Oh, you just screwed your team, Mr. Johnson now refuses to work with you because your a child," then of course being a child is dumb. Of course, I can see it happening this way too, "Oh, you just screwed your team, Mr. Johnson now refuses to work with you because your a Troll." Funny how changing one word can destroy an argument, neh?

Actually that's exactly what would happen in any game that's even remotely believable. If you're a Johnson and you're going to hire someone to break into a rival company's R&D lab to steal some multi-million nuyen project, are you going to want to hire a kid or an adult to do the job all other things being equal? Shadowrunners aren't hard to come by. Hiring a kid is just stupid for any number of reasons, including them being very noticable and thus traceable based solely on the fact that they're a kid. They can't even do basic things shadowrunners do all the time, like disguise themselves as part of the janitoral service. Which relates directly to my first reply in the thread; what few advantages they do offer are grossly outweighed by all the negatives.

6: Well, I'm glad this isn't a fictional game where we need to believe everything is compatible with the real world, otherwise I would never have guessed how it could be possible a spirit made of fire could appear in front of my character. (did you get the sarcasm?)

Now you're relying on that argument? Must suck to have such a weak stance that you have to rely on that kind of hyperbole bullshit.
Aaron
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Aug 11 2009, 03:00 PM) *
No, I just avoid any and all forms of Japanese anime as much as I possibly can. It's shite.

Oh. Then you probably should have said "except anime" in there somewhere. Still, I'm not sure "I don't like it so it doesn't count" is much of an argument.

Spider-Man isn't part of a team and has not been a kid for a very, very long time (late teen != kid, and formerlly married, graduated college student most certianly doesn't). The X-Men are part of a team comprised of other kids in a setting that's completely irresponsible and forces the viewer to suspend all disbelief in order to believe a team of kids are out risking their lives, so that's right out, too.

Ultimate Spidey is 14. Spider-Man was a member of the Avengers, and Ultimate Spidey has worked with the Fantastic Four (who are adults). The X-Men are, for the most part, young adults (or quite old), but work with teen members like Dazzler.

No idea who you're talking about here. It's clearly not the adult hobbits who were in the Fellowship. You know, the ones who were drinking booze, living on their own, and simply had a few innocent qualities as a part of their race rather than due to age. Those aren't the "kids" you're referring to in the Two Towers, are you? Surely not.

The film version shows children and old men fighting alongside the warriors of Rohan.

Your other references are a big "what?" to me, so I can't reply about them.

Might I suggest Wikipedia? It's a pretty good place to look things up.
Ol' Scratch
<shrugs> Whatever. I've learned a long time ago it's pointless to argue with people who can't grasp the basic concept enough to get the point. Enjoy your games. Just stay out of mine with stupid shit like this. smile.gif
PirateChef
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Aug 11 2009, 03:00 PM) *

QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Aug 11 2009, 03:59 PM) *
<shrugs> Whatever. I've learned a long time ago it's pointless to argue with people who can't grasp the basic concept enough to get the point. Enjoy your games. Just stay out of mine with stupid shit like this. smile.gif

Wow. I actually agreed with you until I read your last few responses. Now I want to disagree on principle. Reading your posts / responses is like playing with the guy who is overacting the annoying old curmudgeon who hates anything that isn't the way he's always done it. You've become a stereotype of intolerance. I am amazed.

Excluding an entire medium as "shite" is about as narrow minded as someone can get. I generally dislike anime, but even I know enough to know that there are exceptions to every rule.

Playing a kid comes with it's drawbacks, but none that can't be gotten around. In my group now there is a rigger that has never physically met with the team / a Johnson. What do they do when they meet a Johnson that requires every single member to meet him physically? They walk away. That's a pretty strange requirement anyway, smells of a setup.

It's no different than if you have someone playing an AI on the team. Other than that, if the person is up to RPing a responsible, mature (ish) kid, good for them.

A difference that makes no difference is no difference.
Erl of Ingst
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Aug 11 2009, 01:59 PM) *

I assume your still arguing with me because I can grasp the basic concept enough to get the point. Otherwise, as you said, it would have been pointless to argue with me and a person surely wouldn't argue without point.

I am confused because you seem to be arguing two points. On one hand you are arguing that the physical nature of a child makes them noticeable in a crowd of criminals, but I thought the only time a shadowrunner wanted to look like a criminal is when he is doing the crime.

Then, you argue that their mental stability makes them incapable of being a shadowrunner and you expected me to find this magical creature that does not exist in even fantasy worlds (this magical creature is a normal child). I mean, if the physical nature of a child made a difference, why would you exclude a child that is inhabited by an alien (or is one) or a god. Obviously they would have the mental capacity to go on a run, so would you be against a player playing such a child?

If someone made a character... let's say... a Gnome with a low charisma the negative quality 'Dependent'. Wouldn't that make them unplayable by your standards? They aren't a child and they are completely within the rule sets. I personally would never choose to have dependents, but it may be interesting to have a roommate. So we could even say the parents of the hypothetical child shadowrunner were rather neglectful, therefore pretty much being roommates (not unheard of).

I also remember a point someone made that a good Johnson and fixer choose the runners because the mission fits their talents.

Sure, I just argued the point as a mental exercise in boredom, but that doesn't make my points invalid. I see you only responded to a few of my points, which suggests to me they were indisputable (yes, I'm delusional enough to think that). Feel free to pick and choose the arguments you feel capable of defending, then completely ignore the others pretending I made no good arguments to defend the position that child characters are playable. As you could see in my last post I made a point to not ignore any part of your argument. If you can't find a flaw in one of my points, give me 'props' for my well argued points and disable my not so well argued points.

P.S. (you know... the other script that was before this one) Lets try not to make this into personal attacks and swearing. Lets keep in mind there are, in fact, real children that play these games and we wouldn't want to be insulting their intelligence or corrupting their young minds with such foul language. Because obviously a child playing shadowrun doesn't have a mind corrupted by violence and misery. smile.gif <---- My smiley face is genuine
Ol' Scratch
The points I'm arguing are three-fold. The main one being that they're not going to be hired by anyone, another is that stick out like a sore thumb even in a world filled with metahumans, and the last is that they bring nothing to the table that an adult couldn't also bring without the excess baggage.

The bit I was getting frustrated about was how people try to dismiss each criteria on its own merits rather than address it as a whole. The criteria was basically there as a challenge to "show me an example of a Shadowrunner-esque team that has a kid in it, and that isn't hampered or focused heavily on the kid." But instead of actually finding an example like that -- which I think was pretty damn clear in both context and plain text -- I got crap like "well, kids were fiighting in the background in Lords of the Ring! Thus proving without a doubt that kids are acceptable on a Shadowrun team!" or "Well, here's an obscure example of kids being recruited to fight in a war, so clearly they'll make good Shadowrunners!" or even "well, what's wrong with a character being possessed by a god or alien?! Adults can be possessed by gods or aliens, so it proves without question that kids are acceptable Shadowrunners!"

I also remember a point someone made that a good Johnson and fixer choose the runners because the mission fits their talents.

Except with kids, the GM has to go out of their way to create missions that fits their talents and the fact that they're a kid for the sole purpose of a Johnson or fixer hiring them for a mission that just "happens" to fit their talents. Moreso than most any other concept. AIs, Shapeshifters, Drakes, etc. can all pass as normal adults with relative ease. A kid can't without heavy use of magic, at which point there's no point in even playing a kid if you're not going to actually be playing as a kid.
Erl of Ingst
I know your point is that a child is a niche character, but is it so wrong to want to play a niche character? Should a GM discourage such behavior? Some GMs don't do a lot of magic or even hacking, but that doesn't make the mage or hacker any less valid as a shadowrunner. It isn't about a child character being inconvenient, it is about what someone wants to play. I can conceive in my head of a child shadowrunner. I can build a background and I can give them traits that make it valid.

Personally I appreciate when a GM builds a game based around the characters the players create. I give GMs every right to say, "No, I'm sorry, I don't want that in my game," but that doesn't make the types of characters they don't want impossible ideas.

And who said that if you play a child they need to act like a child. How do children act? If you are going to stereotype a child's behavior in one way, why would anyone play a Troll in any other way other than a STR and BOD build? Other than an Elf Face? Other than a Dwarf Rigger? The idea is to be creative and have fun. Frankly, I find nothing funnier than someone saying I can't go to the meeting, I have to do my homework. Or a troll talking about psychological ramifications of WWII. Or a fat elf who is uncouth yelling at small children walking down the street.

I think the first rule of gaming is have fun. It isn't good to take it serious all the time... even though it is 'punk'.
siel
Ah yes, the noble profession of shadowrunning that can only be done by those with a mature mind. I mean, stealing, killing, and other acts against the laws and moral values of the society is so totally not in the job description.

In any case, here's my take on it. Though I am thinking more of the age of early teen like 13 rather than 6 or 8.

Whether someone becomes a shadowrunner or not depends on whether he has the motivation and ability

Whether a Johnson hires a team of shadowrunner or not depends on whether the team can get the job done.

For motivation, anyone can end up wanting or needing to shadowrun, whether it's for money, excitement, or unavoidable circumstances. 

For ability, with technology and magic around, it's not really hard for a teen to be as lethal as an adult.

Now, would a Johnson hire a team with a kid?

You might be better off by first asking whether a Johnson would hire a group of shadowrunners with no street cred. The answer is yes, he would. If he has never worked with the team before, he's not going to give you anything too important to start with. But as long as you get the job done, he doesn't care whether your team has a troll, a kid, or an AI. As the kid and his team build up street cred, they will take on more important jobs. Physical age doesn't really matter as long as he can get the job done. He has to prove it just like everyone else.

What if Johnson already worked with the team and they want to add a kid?

As long as they get their job done AND that the budget allows, it's the team's choice whether they want or need more people on the team, a kid or not. I mean, does Johnson test your new team member to make sure he's fit for the run? Does the Johnson say "Sorry, we want you guys to be discreet this time, so the troll with panther cannon and no infiltration skill is not getting paid." No, Johnson hires the best team available based on the budget and leave it to the team. A team with a kid might be prejudiced against, but street cred and the team's reputation can fix that.

Does a kid have the experience, skill, and mentality for shadowrunning?

Well, who does the first time? It's something you quickly pick up. Physical age does not reflect your mental age, nor does it reflect whether you have the experience, skill, and mentality needed to be a shadowrunner. A child soldier probably has more experience with guns and battlefield than your average drafted soldier or recruits that never seen war. If the kid becomes a shadowrunner for whatever reason, he's going to have to pick it up fast or die.

There are also many other factors. Leonization can restore someone to the age of young adult, so someone that's very experienced could appear like a kid. The next time you run into a young hacker talking about how he's the best of the best, maybe that's FastJack you are talking to. So how would a Johnson know if this kid is really a kid, magically made to look like a kid, or had genetic treatment to make him a kid? Again, as mentioned earlier, it doesn't matter.

And there might be situations where a kid is the perfect candiate to help a shadowrun go smoothly. I mean, there are some people that think a kid can't be a shadowrunner, that's gotta be something you can exploit.

The kid will be easily identifiable and soon caught? Nonsense, he wouldn't be more identifiable than the rest of the runners. The team did disguise him like they would everyone else, right? What's lone star going to look for? A person with stature of a kid? Good luck with that.

Anyway, remember physical age and mental age are very different things. Anyone can grow up fast mentally, if its necessary. A kid does not have to be bratty, dumb, or noticeable. There are certainly kids that are grown up mentally and can work well with other runners. If anything, a kid is easier to mold into the ideal runner than a grown up with certain ideas already stuck in their head.

Now here's hoping a gm would throw a talented young hacker at the team, only to have them find out that it's FastJack with a leonization gone wrong.  spin.gif

PirateChef
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Aug 12 2009, 01:10 AM) *
Except with kids, the GM has to go out of their way to create missions that fits their talents and the fact that they're a kid for the sole purpose of a Johnson or fixer hiring them for a mission that just "happens" to fit their talents. Moreso than most any other concept. AIs, Shapeshifters, Drakes, etc. can all pass as normal adults with relative ease. A kid can't without heavy use of magic, at which point there's no point in even playing a kid if you're not going to actually be playing as a kid.

Emphasis mine.

How is playing a child hacker who does all interaction through the matrix (drones, whatever) any different from playing an AI? Even the personality issues you may have are no different, seeing as AIs are probably very immature socially (high knowledge, low experience).
LurkerOutThere
I can't speak for everyone but my characters have tended to prefer meeting their team in the meat and I have a higher then average propensity for playing matrix based characters. The greatest obstacle a child hacker or anything is going to face is going tob e getting the team and the J to trust them. In the day and age of the wireles matrix a stay at home hacker just isn't viable anymore.

I do believe Dr. Funkentsein is majorly overplaying the complications a child might have operationally. Traditionally whole teams of shadowruners do not try and infilatrate the sitew as janitorial staff and I certainyl don't believe a child would stand out more in the average crowd then a pink mohawked dwarf.
PirateChef
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Aug 12 2009, 03:37 PM) *
I can't speak for everyone but my characters have tended to prefer meeting their team in the meat and I have a higher then average propensity for playing matrix based characters. The greatest obstacle a child hacker or anything is going to face is going tob e getting the team and the J to trust them. In the day and age of the wireles matrix a stay at home hacker just isn't viable anymore.

Actually, we pretty much proved in another thread that it is just as easy to be a stay at home rigger as it used to be to be a stay at home hacker.
siel
As for the critieria, consider Mathilda Lando (Natalie Portman) from Leon the Professional.

Or River from Firefly.

PirateChef
QUOTE (siel @ Aug 12 2009, 06:16 PM) *
As for the critieria, consider Mathilda Lando (Natalie Portman) from Leon the Professional.

Or River from Firefly.

I'll second Mathilda from The Professional
Wolfshade
Something to think on is having the youngen as a Technomancer. Also happens to be a bit of a genius and for (insert background here) is living on the streets. A challenge to RP with the rest of the group, but really useful. I happen to have an NPC that is 9 and an excellent help to the group. In firefights she spends a lot of time hideing behind large obgects (or Trolls, Which ever is closer). Just think of a mix of Half-Round from Indiana Jones and some of the more intelligent young charecters from Anime. Base facts are she is a street kid. Don't see how you couldn't build a kid useing the regular rules, just comen sense the stats and skills. My thoughts anyway.
PirateChef
QUOTE (Wolfshade @ Aug 12 2009, 06:48 PM) *
Something to think on is having the youngen as a Technomancer. Also happens to be a bit of a genius and for (insert background here) is living on the streets. A challenge to RP with the rest of the group, but really useful. I happen to have an NPC that is 9 and an excellent help to the group. In firefights she spends a lot of time hideing behind large obgects (or Trolls, Which ever is closer). Just think of a mix of Half-Round from Indiana Jones and some of the more intelligent young charecters from Anime. Base facts are she is a street kid. Don't see how you couldn't build a kid useing the regular rules, just comen sense the stats and skills. My thoughts anyway.

A kid Technomancer is basically an Otaku from 3rd Ed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012