Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gen Con News
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Prime Mover
Any luck folks from con have any news to pass on?
BlueMax
Bull made a post stating that there were *plenty* of SR books for those who wanted them at GenCon.

He also stated there was an Ares Tshirt and Ares Dice?

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=833856

BlueMax
/who hopes this isnt out of date as he opened it before meetings and the lunch cycle
//followed by more meetings.
CodeBreaker
QUOTE (BlueMax @ Aug 14 2009, 10:19 PM) *
Bull made a post stating that there were *plenty* of SR books for those who wanted them at GenCon.

He also stated there was an Ares Tshirt and Ares Dice?

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=833856

BlueMax
/who hopes this isnt out of date as he opened it before meetings and the lunch cycle
//followed by more meetings.

Cursed not being at GenCon and wanting a copy of Seattle 2072... Damn you Americans and your multiple gaming cons!
the_real_elwood
So is that Seattle 2072 book going to be out for retail or online sale? Because I don't see it on the Shadowrun website's product lineup.
Eugene
Did anyone attend the Shadowrun seminar and want to share what they heard?
Kerenshara
QUOTE (the_real_elwood @ Aug 14 2009, 05:23 PM) *
So is that Seattle 2072 book going to be out for retail or online sale? Because I don't see it on the Shadowrun website's product lineup.

I asked that precise question and was told it's essentially a pre-print copy; A demo if you will before full print. The good news, from my perspective, is that the thing is essentially "at the printers" and should be on shelves at most within a month or two. It WILL be available for pre-order "soon" so probably shortly after they unpack from the con.
Adam
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Aug 17 2009, 09:25 AM) *
I asked that precise question and was told it's essentially a pre-print copy; A demo if you will before full print. The good news, from my perspective, is that the thing is essentially "at the printers" and should be on shelves at most within a month or two.

I hope that none of us said "a month or two." Seattle 2072 is an overseas print so it has a long travel time and all the hassles with that -- plus, as those that were at GenCon know, there was a slight printing issue (page three was left blank) and so we have to figure out how to best fix that.

As usual, we'll announce a street date when we have the book in our warehouse. smile.gif
otakusensei
I was just going through some old SR stuff, like my SR2 GM screen with it's hand added errata. Maybe you could post some notes for page three and have folks pencil it in? I also see the roots of an interesting new contest...
Method
So will Seattle 2072 be released as a pdf or is it a dead tree exclusive?
Adam
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 17 2009, 10:34 AM) *
So will Seattle 2072 be released as a pdf or is it a dead tree exclusive?

It will be released in PDF.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Adam @ Aug 17 2009, 08:42 AM) *
I hope that none of us said "a month or two." Seattle 2072 is an overseas print so it has a long travel time and all the hassles with that -- plus, as those that were at GenCon know, there was a slight printing issue (page three was left blank) and so we have to figure out how to best fix that.

As usual, we'll announce a street date when we have the book in our warehouse. smile.gif

No, I "interpreted" that to keep people from chewing at your door, Adam. After the way people (like me) were gnawing on your ankles about SR4A, I didn't want to get people slavering any worse than they already are over that book. Take me, for example. *grin* So when I heard it was essentially a pre-print copy, and knew it was going to be overseas with all the color, so I didn't want to raise expectations. But if it's NOT going to be "a month or two", does that mean we can expect it relatively soon, or is this one going to be a ways out? If there really was an "oops" with a blank page, that doesn't sound like "around the corner". But I'd probably still buy that glitched copy off you anyhow in the meantime... not kidding here.
cryptoknight
Lets see... from Hero Lab (Lone wolf Dev) the contract for a Hero Lab Shadowrun character builder is apparently sitting in CGL's hands and that when they sign the bloody thing the development which has reached some kind of milestone will progress and we'll be able to use HL to manage SR4a characters.
Method
QUOTE (cryptoknight @ Aug 17 2009, 12:27 PM) *
Hero Lab
eek.gif notworthy.gif
Bull
QUOTE (cryptoknight @ Aug 17 2009, 02:27 PM) *
Lets see... from Hero Lab (Lone wolf Dev) the contract for a Hero Lab Shadowrun character builder is apparently sitting in CGL's hands and that when they sign the bloody thing the development which has reached some kind of milestone will progress and we'll be able to use HL to manage SR4a characters.

From what I understand of the situation (Which is admittedly very little, and could well be wrong), it's not entirely in CGL or Lone Wolf's hands. Keep in mind there are 2-3 other companies involved here: WizKids/Topps (Who still own the core property license), Microsoft (who still own the electronic rights) and possibly even Smith & Tinkjer (Who are licensing the electronic rights from MS). Depending on the wording in the various contracts, this could be a very complicated and involved deal, regardless of how much everyone involved may want to make it happen.
cryptoknight
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 17 2009, 02:11 PM) *
eek.gif notworthy.gif

Don't get too excited... for some odd reason this sounds similar to the line Lone Wolf gave me last year when I asked them why they were flying the SR logo in their booth.
Adam
It's not a "line." The legal situation is... complicated, as Bull says.
BlueMax
Hey, Shadowrun started in the 80s and thus doing "lines" is apropos.

Ohh wait, uh.... nevermind

BlueMax
/who wipes his nose.
ravensmuse
I was disappointed that by the time I got to the Catalyst booth this year, they were already out of the dice frown.gif

OTOH, got my girl the "You Must Be This Hot to Play With Me" shirt and SR4a, so it all worked out in the end.
Prime Mover
So no new info on upcoming products? No info on whats in store for next year? No pics from anyone (Seattle 72 cover)?
CodeBreaker
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...25&start=25 that Thread has some pictures.
Bull
Yeah, I posted a bunch of pics I took from the booth over in the sticky thread.

Unfortunately, I missed the Whats up with Shadowrun seminar due to having a game to run during that timeslot, so I have no idea what was announced and discussed frown.gif
cryptoknight
QUOTE (Adam @ Aug 17 2009, 03:57 PM) *
It's not a "line." The legal situation is... complicated, as Bull says.

Put it however you want... one of the major reasons I find myself playing more D&D 4e and less Shadowrun 4a is that 4e has the Character builder.
Now I can manage my characters electronically and print copies when necessary. The Excel solution while mostly functional just doesn't cut it in comparison. Now I just keep two copies of a digital file (one on a flash drive, one local to disk) and I can print my character when necessary to play.

4a is massively more complicated than 4e, both in character creation and maintenance. Having some way that works to manage my characters would entice me to play it more.
MJBurrage
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Aug 18 2009, 07:13 AM) *
I was disappointed that by the time I got to the Catalyst booth this year, they were already out of the dice frown.gif

OTOH, got my girl the "You Must Be This Hot to Play With Me" shirt and SR4a, so it all worked out in the end.

Will the Ares dice be available online? What about the shirts?
BlueMax
QUOTE (cryptoknight @ Aug 18 2009, 09:55 AM) *
Put it however you want... one of the major reasons I find myself playing more D&D 4e and less Shadowrun 4a is that 4e has the Character builder.
Now I can manage my characters electronically and print copies when necessary. The Excel solution while mostly functional just doesn't cut it in comparison. Now I just keep two copies of a digital file (one on a flash drive, one local to disk) and I can print my character when necessary to play.

4a is massively more complicated than 4e, both in character creation and maintenance. Having some way that works to manage my characters would entice me to play it more.

The DDi character builder is indeed awesome. However, if I were a publisher I would phe4r a DDi tool. Why? with it players need not buy any books. The complete effects are listed in the DDi. This includes gear.

I play a Tiefling Warlord and own 0 of the books. Another player shows up early and he does up my character on his laptop whilst I shoulder surf.

As to which is more complicated, I concede that SR4A is more complicated. However, thats because it has real choice. 90% of the Warlord power are the same thing with a small tweak, so I am a bit bitter.

BlueMax
/and few to NONE are Reliable
//jealousy++
BlueMax
QUOTE (MJBurrage @ Aug 18 2009, 10:04 AM) *
Will the Ares dice be available online? What about the shirts?

Please say yes. And the Doc Wagon patches too.

BlueMax
Grinder
QUOTE (MJBurrage @ Aug 18 2009, 07:04 PM) *
Will the Ares dice be available online?

And dices of other megacorps? love.gif
ravensmuse
Oh yeah, there weren't any Saeder-Krup t-shirts this year? I wanted to get one for, again, my gf. Seeing a perky little girl in a "Specken Ze Drachen?" t-shirt would have been awesome.

Now I'm bummed I missed out on the Ares dice *and* the regular blue SR dice frown.gif
cryptoknight
QUOTE (BlueMax @ Aug 18 2009, 11:06 AM) *
The DDi character builder is indeed awesome. However, if I were a publisher I would phe4r a DDi tool. Why? with it players need not buy any books. The complete effects are listed in the DDi. This includes gear.

I play a Tiefling Warlord and own 0 of the books. Another player shows up early and he does up my character on his laptop whilst I shoulder surf.

As to which is more complicated, I concede that SR4A is more complicated. However, thats because it has real choice. 90% of the Warlord power are the same thing with a small tweak, so I am a bit bitter.

BlueMax
/and few to NONE are Reliable
//jealousy++

I played 3.5 D&D an never owned a book. I borrowed from friends. Somebody somewhere is paying $50+/year to maintain their DDI subscription which lets them make your character. Something I'd be happy to do also fro SR4a. For all the benefits of CB, Wizards sold out of Adventurer's vault 2 each and every day they had it there.

I don't want to take away choices, I just want to stop the need for me to have to handle all the numbers when trying to build the character, and maintain it. That's what CB is for me in D&D 4e. It's what RB would be for me in 4e. Keeping easy to update digital versions of the same character means that if somebody spills a soda on my character it's not a big deal... I just re-print him or her.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (cryptoknight @ Aug 18 2009, 01:22 PM) *
I played 3.5 D&D an never owned a book. I borrowed from friends. Somebody somewhere is paying $50+/year to maintain their DDI subscription which lets them make your character. Something I'd be happy to do also fro SR4a. For all the benefits of CB, Wizards sold out of Adventurer's vault 2 each and every day they had it there.

I don't want to take away choices, I just want to stop the need for me to have to handle all the numbers when trying to build the character, and maintain it. That's what CB is for me in D&D 4e. It's what RB would be for me in 4e. Keeping easy to update digital versions of the same character means that if somebody spills a soda on my character it's not a big deal... I just re-print him or her.

You know, I understand your thoughts on ease of maintenance, but creating my character(s) is one of my favorite parts of the game. Plus, systems like that often don't handle sidebar rules very well, if at all, and they certainly don't allow home-brew sollutions. I'm pretty Wiz with Excell and I have cooked up a couple sheets just for creation and maintenance. I'm working on a new one for SR4A, but the going is slow. (I have lots of projects on my plate just now.)

otakusensei
I'm a big fan of character managers, but the problem here isn't demand (there is one) or supply (it's practically written) it's the market's evil overlord, Licensing.
The Dragon Girl
What my question is is if we're getting anything interesting at Dragoncon, which is the one I'm going to be able to make it to..
Method
And the software market's evil overlord... Microsoft.
Alexand
Darn that Gates family and their Technomancy-ness!
Adam
QUOTE (cryptoknight @ Aug 18 2009, 12:55 PM) *

And that's totally understandable. We absolutely want to do a character generator, but there's still legal wrangling going on. None of us _like_ legal wrangling -- I'd much rather have a character generator than a lawyer, too! nyahnyah.gif
Adam
We'll be talking about restocks of dice, patches, and shirts soon.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Adam @ Aug 18 2009, 02:20 PM) *
And that's totally understandable. We absolutely want to do a character generator, but there's still legal wrangling going on. None of us _like_ legal wrangling -- I'd much rather have a character generator than a lawyer, too! nyahnyah.gif

Wouldn't it depend on the outfit she wore for you?
Bull
He hates it when I wear the lawyer outfit. smile.gif
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Bull @ Aug 18 2009, 02:55 PM) *
He hates it when I wear the lawyer outfit. smile.gif

*shudders*
Bull
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Aug 18 2009, 02:57 PM) *
*shudders*

Flawless Victory!
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Bull @ Aug 18 2009, 02:59 PM) *
Flawless Victory!

You DO realize that I'm using my titanium spork to remove my eyeballs in a bid to expunge that particular vision from my mind's eye, right?
ravensmuse
I keep thinking of things to say...

What about that video that you guys had playing at the booth? Will you be putting that up online anywhere to see? Just curious.
Bull
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Aug 18 2009, 04:00 PM) *
You DO realize that I'm using my titanium spork to remove my eyeballs in a bid to expunge that particular vision from my mind's eye, right?

Hence why it's flawless! smile.gif

(And totally OT, I want a Titanium Spork one of these days, preferably one with a serrated edge as well. The ultimate eating utensil! smile.gif
Adam
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Aug 18 2009, 03:28 PM) *
Wouldn't it depend on the outfit she wore for you?

For a variety of personal reasons, this really, really cracked me up.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Bull @ Aug 18 2009, 03:35 PM) *
(And totally OT, I want a Titanium Spork one of these days, preferably one with a serrated edge as well. The ultimate eating utensil! smile.gif

Once you put a knife edge on a spork, it becomes a splayd.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Adam @ Aug 18 2009, 03:46 PM) *
For a variety of personal reasons, this really, really cracked me up.

We aim to please. I figured it might just spice up your day a smidgen.
Grinder
QUOTE (Adam @ Aug 18 2009, 09:22 PM) *
We'll be talking about restocks of dice, patches, and shirts soon.

And new designs for each of those?
Adam
This years' new shirt is the Ares "Business is Booming" shirt. We have the two dice designs, the pale blue "Matrix" dice and the red-and-blue "Ares" dice. And of course, the DocWagon patches are new.
Method
I would love to put a Doc Wagon patch on my white coat. I bet that would draw some questions at the hospital...
Mr. Man
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Aug 18 2009, 04:16 PM) *
I keep thinking of things to say...

What about that video that you guys had playing at the booth? Will you be putting that up online anywhere to see? Just curious.

Pretty sure this is it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8d9NSgFuUs

I wasn't there, but it's in the background of this.

I am very glad to hear that the Ares t-shirt and new dice weren't con exclusives. My wallet, not so much.
Adam
Yup, that's the new video. We should have them cut into single-game videos and up on YouTube sometime soon, too ...

I just tossed the video up onto Shadowrun4.com, also!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012