Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weapon modification impossibilities?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
TheMadderHatter
Firstly, this is my first post in a forum of this type, so if I err in some way, I plead ignorance. One of my players suggested that he'd like to play an AI living in a smartgun; before the AI's-are-weak argument is brought up, I warned him of this, and he still wants to play it, simply for the coolness factor. He raised only one question, in Arsenal- the Flying Propulsion System requires 8 mod slots, but weapons have, by default, 6. Does a weapon with a flying propulsion system have to be overmodified?
If there's a better way to handle weapon mods, I'd love to hear it, incidentally.
Marwynn
Can't he just live in a Drone holding a smartgun?
X-Kalibur
It does say that by default, weapons have 6 slots for mods, but also that gamemasters may modify that, seeing as the entire section is optional. Flying in a pistol? Probably not. Something the size of a large SMG or AR/sport rifle, sure, I don't see why not...
crash2029
I can just imagine that meet.
The Scene: a human, an ork, an elf, and a floating Ares Alpha sitting across the table from a severe looking human in corp chic
Mr. J: What is that?
Elf: What?
Mr. J: The floating gun.
Elf: That's Hal.
Mr. J: Excuse me?
Elf: Hal. Our merc.
Mr. J: Your merc?
Elf: Yeah. Why?
Mr. J: I think I need to go now.
*Mr. J gets up and quickly exits. The rifle and the elf turn toward each other.*
Elf: I wonder what his problem was?
Hal: *ejects a round as a shrug*
Ork: So..., anybody hungry?
*The team looks around at each other shrugs and heads for Denny's. They stop for take-out at Weapons World for Hal.*

Wilkommen to Dumpshock!
ShadowPavement
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Sep 19 2009, 10:22 PM) *
The Scene: a human, an ork, an elf, and a floating Ares Alpha sitting across the table from a severe looking human in corp chic
*Mr. J gets up and quickly exits. The rifle and the elf turn toward each other.*
*The team looks around at each other shrugs and heads for Denny's. They stop for take-out at Weapons World for Hal.*

Wilkommen to Dumpshock!

rotfl.gif That just made milk come out my nose. Bonus karma point for you my friend.
Tachi
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Sep 19 2009, 04:22 PM) *

Wilkommen to Dumpshock!

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif

+1 indeed...
X-Kalibur

Wilkommen to Dumpshock!

The Aristocrats!
MusicMan

Wilkommen to Dumpshock!

That's great...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Sep 19 2009, 02:22 PM) *

Wilkommen to Dumpshock!

Awesome... I like it...
StealthSigma
QUOTE (TheMadderHatter @ Sep 18 2009, 07:13 PM) *
Firstly, this is my first post in a forum of this type, so if I err in some way, I plead ignorance. One of my players suggested that he'd like to play an AI living in a smartgun; before the AI's-are-weak argument is brought up, I warned him of this, and he still wants to play it, simply for the coolness factor. He raised only one question, in Arsenal- the Flying Propulsion System requires 8 mod slots, but weapons have, by default, 6. Does a weapon with a flying propulsion system have to be overmodified?
If there's a better way to handle weapon mods, I'd love to hear it, incidentally.

IIRC, Arsenal has rules about overmodding beyond the 6 slot limitation. The only thing about it that I recall for certain is that you need tools one step higher than what you normally need (Kit need Shop, Shop need Facility, Facility has an increased interval(?)). So 8 mod slots is possible, it just requires stuff beyond what you normally do.
overcannon
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Sep 21 2009, 06:21 AM) *
IIRC, Arsenal has rules about overmodding beyond the 6 slot limitation. The only thing about it that I recall for certain is that you need tools one step higher than what you normally need (Kit need Shop, Shop need Facility, Facility has an increased interval(?)). So 8 mod slots is possible, it just requires stuff beyond what you normally do.

But it still does come down to GM discretion.
Karoline
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Sep 18 2009, 07:31 PM) *
It does say that by default, weapons have 6 slots for mods, but also that gamemasters may modify that, seeing as the entire section is optional. Flying in a pistol? Probably not. Something the size of a large SMG or AR/sport rifle, sure, I don't see why not...

Yeah, a pistol is smaller so it has less room to put in mods... but it is also lighter, so it doesn't need as much thrust to lift it.

I figure this is why a holdout and an assault cannon have the same number of slots. Sure, the holdout has alot less space, but each mod doesn't need to modify as much.

(Kit need Shop, Shop need Facility, Facility has an increased interval(?))

Yeah, you need a moon base.

Actually it specifies that a Facility doesn't need anything bigger as it is already the biggest. I totally forgot you could go over 6 slots without too much trouble... I'll have to rethink some of my weapons smile.gif
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Karoline @ Sep 21 2009, 08:49 AM) *
Actually it specifies that a Facility doesn't need anything bigger as it is already the biggest. I totally forgot you could go over 6 slots without too much trouble... I'll have to rethink some of my weapons smile.gif

I remember there is something that happens if you try to overmod a facility quality modification onto a weapon of vehicle. I'm 99% certain it increases the interval or threshold for the the check. Basically, I see no reason to not allow it, I don't think it's a sidebar, which means it's a mainstream rule, so it's at the GM's discretion to not allow it.
Karoline
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Sep 21 2009, 09:05 AM) *
I remember there is something that happens if you try to overmod a facility quality modification onto a weapon of vehicle. I'm 99% certain it increases the interval or threshold for the the check. Basically, I see no reason to not allow it, I don't think it's a sidebar, which means it's a mainstream rule, so it's at the GM's discretion to not allow it.

Yeah, fairly certain your right about it increasing the threshold. In fact I think it increases the threshold even on stuff that usually uses a kit/shop... don't quite remember and don't have my books on hand at the moment.

Personally I think some things require too many slots or take slots when they shouldn't.

Barrel extension for example seems like it would increase the number of slots available if anything, instead of decreasing it.

Also, don't forget that getting the mobility mod also requires a pilot mod which for some reason takes up slots, and presumably in order for it to be good enough to support an AI it would at least need the 'weapon personality' mod, which once again I believe requires slots. So the weapon this AI inhabits would have to have at least 10 slots worth of mods on it.

Personally I think the funniest part of this is the several k nuyen.gif a month that will be spent on maintaining the pistol because it is the AI's home node.

Edit:
Armorer: "So.. you want me to do 30k worth of repairs... on a 500 nuyen.gif pistol?"
Traul
Is a flying weapon usable as a vehicle, even for an AI? I thought it only had enough power to get back to its user if dropped.
Karoline
QUOTE (Traul @ Sep 21 2009, 10:43 AM) *
Is a flying weapon usable as a vehicle, even for an AI? I thought it only had enough power to get back to its user if dropped.

Mmmm, not sure. I thought it had enough to operate independently for at least a while. Likely not hours, but certainly through a mission.. if it 'rests' on someone's shoulder when not actively in a firefight or something.

Then again, it isn't required that an AI's home node be mobile either.

I'm sure a drone that carried a weapon would be way more effective than the weapon itself... but darn, it sure is an interesting concept, and should be given bonus points for that.

Also, given the huge amount of money that goes into maintaining the weapon, I'm sure the GM could rule that it has managed to attain an increased operation time (Maybe by adding in tiny little solar cells, super high quality power cells, or perhaps even some kind of link to the grid like most vehicles have)

Edit: From Arsenal:
Once an item’s slot maximum is reached, any further
modifi cation to that item requires the gamemaster’s approval.
Also, in order to perform the modifi cation, the mechanic must
use tools one step higher than usual (unless the tool is already
at facility level) and a multiplier of at least x2 must be applied
to both the cost and the threshold. Note that most of these
overmodifications reduce the object’s effectiveness in other
ways—for example, adding additional weapons and armor to
a vehicle beyond its slot limit may result in reduced Speed or
Handling. Once again, the gamemaster has the last word on
this. Note that the number of used slots usually has impact on
the general bulkiness of an object.
MusicMan
It's like "Weapon Personality" +5
TheMadderHatter
QUOTE (Karoline @ Sep 21 2009, 12:24 PM) *
Also, given the huge amount of money that goes into maintaining the weapon, I'm sure the GM could rule that it has managed to attain an increased operation time (Maybe by adding in tiny little solar cells, super high quality power cells, or perhaps even some kind of link to the grid like most vehicles have)

This is along the lines of what I did; I gave him the list of minidrone-compatible mods, he picked Additional Fuel Tanks, and I decided it gave him the full six hours via extremely volatile high-capacity power cells. He wrote his backstory as a prototype, tactically-aware smartgun target designator program gone wrong (WOPR in miniature, and yes, this will be exploited in-game), so I thought that letting him move normally was a small enough concession and a logical enough concession in comparison to the rest of his problems... like the Compulsive quality for shooting.
Karoline
QUOTE (TheMadderHatter @ Sep 21 2009, 11:28 PM) *
...like the Compulsive quality for shooting.

Isn't that like... a requirement to be a shadowrunner? nyahnyah.gif
the_real_elwood
Does your player know that, by the rules, the flying modification for weapons has enough power for about 2 minutes of flight? I suppose as the GM you could houserule around it, but the way the rules are set up, playing an AI with its home node inside a flying smartgun doesn't give you a whole lot of mobility. Having a drone as the AI's home node makes much more sense.
AndyZ
The first thing that I see when I read this is "Ridiculous." That could be ok. I've seen ridiculous before.

First, talk to all the other players. They may have an issue with ridiculous. If everyone else at the table is willing to deal with it, by all means. If someone isn't willing, then it should probably be dropped, as it's going to decrease enjoyment and likely cause conflict.

Overmodification isn't nearly the only issue you'll have to deal with. You've also got reloading, propulsion battery, and the fact that guns aren't designed to be shot. One decent hit will probably destroy the gun and effectively kill the A.I.

The smartgun could certainly be the home node for the A.I., while he has access to other drones and such to actually get around. However, if you go ridiculous, go big, so here we go.

Once both you and all players accept ridiculous, you can feel reasonably safe throwing rules to the wind. The point, after all, is to have fun.

If he needs a way to get into the group, the Johnson might even introduce it and tell the party to bring the gun along, explaining that part of their run is to test out a new piece of equipment in the field.

My real question is reloading. A compulsive shooter is not going to conserve ammo. How does it get more bullets back in the gun?
Stahlseele
Needs set up, but then simply land on the clips standing upright.
Kinda like pooping, but in reverse.
AndyZ
Granted, but since it needs set up, then a gun's not going to be able to do it by itself.
DamienKnight
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 22 2009, 06:20 AM) *
Kinda like pooping, but in reverse.

OMG, I just hurt myself laughing.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (DamienKnight @ Sep 22 2009, 05:00 PM) *
OMG, I just hurt myself laughing.

*bows* thank you, thank you! i will be here . . ah damn it, probably for a pretty long time ^^
I consider a day where i have made someone laught to not have been wasted ^^
Karoline
QUOTE (AndyZ @ Sep 22 2009, 06:24 AM) *
Granted, but since it needs set up, then a gun's not going to be able to do it by itself.

More importantly, it won't be able to -carry- that ammo with it... Maybe if you got like six 'additional clip' modifications and just had a fan of them going out all around the gun... that'd look kinda cool... Like a miniature space ship from sci-fi games.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Karoline @ Sep 22 2009, 11:06 AM) *
More importantly, it won't be able to -carry- that ammo with it... Maybe if you got like six 'additional clip' modifications and just had a fan of them going out all around the gun... that'd look kinda cool... Like a miniature space ship from sci-fi games.

Solution. Do not use burst fire from the gun.
Suggestion. Instead of a pistol, use a Barrett sniper rifle or assault cannon modified with many additional/extended clips.
Result. You shouldn't need to burn through more than 1 or 2 shots per target.
eidolon
This is one of those situations where cool trumps rule.

If you as the GM and all of your players are in agreement that having a flying smartgun AI character in the group is cool, then you just do it.

Come up with a few plausible ways that the gun char handles situation X, Y, and Z, and just play the game.

Want to solve all the problems (assuming, again, that everyone agrees that it's cool)? Sit down at the table and say

"Bob has this awesome idea where he plays an AI in a flying smartgun. It has this super cool new propulsion system, and a new feed system that lets it carry 100 rounds."

Stop being so caught up in what the devs say you can and can't do, because when it comes to off the wall stuff like this, you just have to go with the awesome, because no, the rules weren't really meant to handle it.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (eidolon @ Sep 22 2009, 11:09 AM) *
This is one of those situations where cool trumps rule.

If you as the GM and all of your players are in agreement that having a flying smartgun AI character in the group is cool, then you just do it.

Come up with a few plausible ways that the gun char handles situation X, Y, and Z, and just play the game.

Want to solve all the problems (assuming, again, that everyone agrees that it's cool)? Sit down at the table and say

"Bob has this awesome idea where he plays an AI in a flying smartgun. It has this super cool new propulsion system, and a new feed system that lets it carry 100 rounds."

Stop being so caught up in what the devs say you can and can't do, because when it comes to off the wall stuff like this, you just have to go with the awesome, because no, the rules weren't really meant to handle it.

Personally, I think using a sniper rifle or assault cannon is cooler than using a pistol in this manner. Then again, I want to have a Rigger with Emotitoy drones that have their own miniaturized firearms....

Oh, I want them all to look like characters from Marvel/DC comics as well.
X-Kalibur
Teddy Bears with Uzis, trust me.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Sep 22 2009, 11:38 AM) *
Teddy Bears with Uzis, trust me.

Already been done in Cowboy Bebop.

A terrorist, "Teddy Bomber", has been using explosives in teddy bears to bring down high-rise buildings in protest of humanity's excesses. Spike attempts to stop him, but constantly runs afoul of "Cowboy Andy," a fellow bounty hunter who is far more similar to Spike than either would care to admit.
X-Kalibur
Cowboy Funk, great episode, but they were normal teddy bears with bombs in them, not drones with firearms. As another aside, possibly my favorite episode ending in that one, aside from the finale... and maybe Ballad of Fallen Angels.
Stahlseele
Screamers comes to mind.
The little girls Teddy-Bear in the end.
Most people don't catch it moving and think there's a Happy End for the escaped guy.
Karoline
Must resist urge to make emotitoys with concealed turrets...
Stahlseele
Don't fight it!
You know you want to!
Join us!
We Shall rule the Universe of Shadowrun as Powergamer and Min/Maxer!
Karoline
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 22 2009, 01:11 PM) *

Hehe, but who is who?
Stahlseele
*shrugs* beats me.
Don't care either.
Been called both.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 22 2009, 01:11 PM) *
Don't fight it!
You know you want to!
Join us!

Min-maxer, the awesome-o troll street sammy with 1 charisma, 1 logic, and 1 willpower!
Stahlseele
Nope, only Charisma 1.
Willpower and Intelligence are too usefull.
And i am forbidden from playing a character if the character does not have the racial maximum intelligence and willpower.
Wraith235
have a player who wants to take an ares alpha and use 6 points of mod to the AR portion and 6 points to the underbarrel Grenade launcher (12 points total or 6 to both weapons) while I dont believe that this is possible he wants me to "Show my work" on the Argument

any thoughts ?
DWC
QUOTE (Wraith235 @ Oct 23 2009, 09:06 AM) *
have a player who wants to take an ares alpha and use 6 points of mod to the AR portion and 6 points to the underbarrel Grenade launcher (12 points total or 6 to both weapons) while I dont believe that this is possible he wants me to "Show my work" on the Argument

any thoughts ?

Point out that everything is subject to GM approval.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Wraith235 @ Oct 23 2009, 09:06 AM) *

any thoughts ?

The underbarrel grenade launcher is not a weapon mount it is an accessory so you don't get the ability to mod the underbarrel GL.
Wraith235
its not counted as an accessory ... its considered a modification is what his argument is (via Arsenal pg 148) and while I see the argument hes making ... it just doesnt feel right to me and Im looking for something more than whats been given so far

also the fact that on the Underbarrel modification it lists that the underbarrel weapon "May be modified to have its own recoil"

another argument hes making is the S4 Char Gen is allowing him to do it ... the program lists the Ares alpha AR and the Ares Alpha Grenade launcher as seperate weapons
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Wraith235 @ Oct 23 2009, 09:32 AM) *
its not counted as an accessory ... its considered a modification is what his argument is (via Arsenal pg 148) and while I see the argument hes making ... it just doesnt feel right to me and Im looking for something more than whats been given so far

also the fact that on the Underbarrel modification it lists that the underbarrel weapon "May be modified to have its own recoil"

another argument hes making is the S4 Char Gen is allowing him to do it ... the program lists the Ares alpha AR and the Ares Alpha Grenade launcher as seperate weapons

Is there a single shot grenade launcher with 12 rounds in it? If so he has an argument, if not he doesn't. Remember the underbarrel weapon has -half- the round capacity it normally has. The MGL-12 has 12 rounds, but is semi-auto. The other grenade launcher in the book is single shot, but is 8 rounds. I don't recall what grenade launchers are in arsenal. I'm also fairly certain Arsenal lists underbarrel grenade launcher as an accessory, and I don't believe accessories can be modded like standard weapons.
Wraith235
the 3 under barrel accessories in arsenal are Bola / flame thrower / Grapple gun

Underbarrel weapon is listed in modifications but also goes into some limitations like "Cant be larger than the weapon" Machine guns / Long arms / assult cannon

The Ares Alpha Comes Stock with a Grenade Launcher with a 6( c ) (which Im sure you know)

Arsenal has the enfield 20 (d ) SS
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Wraith235 @ Oct 23 2009, 10:03 AM) *
the 3 under barrel accessories in arsenal are Bola / flame thrower / Grapple gun

Underbarrel weapon is listed in modifications but also goes into some limitations like "Cant be larger than the weapon" Machine guns / Long arms / assult cannon

The Ares Alpha Comes Stock with a Grenade Launcher with a 6( c ) (which Im sure you know)

Arsenal has the enfield 20 (d ) SS

So basically, there's a 8(m) SS, 12© SA, and a 20(d) SS. These would become 4(m) SS, 6© SA, and 10(d) SS as underbarrel. None of these match the stats of the Alpha's underbarrel grenade launcher.

Actually, I would lend more credence to being able to mod them separately if the underbarrel GL was removable, but looking at the picture of the Alpha, and the description I see no indication that it is removable.

The point is, you sound like you don't want him to do it. You're the GM, it's your call. I'm just providing some ammunition you could use to justify your position if you feel you need it.
Wraith235
Unfortunatly theres more to it

this is for a missions game

2nd this guy will argue till the cows come home untill there is Unequivicable proof that what he is saying is wrong ...and will threaten to not play if he doesnt get it

+ this area is hard enuf to get an SR Game going in to begin with
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Wraith235 @ Oct 23 2009, 10:28 AM) *
Unfortunatly theres more to it

this is for a missions game

2nd this guy will argue till the cows come home untill there is Unequivicable proof that what he is saying is wrong ...and will threaten to not play if he doesnt get it

+ this area is hard enuf to get an SR Game going in to begin with

So it's missions? Unless I'm mistaken, the entire point is to provide a uniform setting which can allow players to easily transfer characters between GMs. GMs are no different from judges. All the judges work within a similar set of laws, but they can have different interpretations. If you don't think he can do that, that's your interpretation and you don't allow it. Unless the rules explicitly state you can or cannot do something, then it's left up to interpretation.

The fact that he is threatening to not play is reason enough not to allow him to do it. It only sets bad precedence that he will bully you around to get his way. Namely, if he's going to actually quit over something so trivial, do you really want him there in the first place? Lack of players is not an excuse to have bad players.
Sponge
QUOTE (Wraith235 @ Oct 23 2009, 08:06 AM) *

any thoughts ?

If you allowed him to modify the underbarrel GL, what would prevent him from adding a second (and third, fourth, etc) underbarrel GL on it? It's a little absurd.

In fluff terms, I would argue that the UBGL is not a stand-alone weapon with its own complete body, stock and so on (in order to be small enough to be mountable on another weapon), and simply doesn't add any room for more mods. On the plus side, mods like a smartgun system on such a weapon would cover both delivery systems, since they are integrated with each other anyways.
spasheridan
I vote the gun AI can also rig.

And has an anthroporphic drone who "shoots" him. The drone reloads. The drone carries. The gun actually shoots itself, the drone just raises it's arm in the general direction, and the drone has a recharge station in it's hand, and the drone gets shot at a lot but the gun doesn't - until the gun flies off the drone and goes all batshit crazy in the ventilation shaft.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012