Kagetenshi
That goes without saying.

~J
Phaeton
Century Ferret > All.

And...Thank you. biggrin.gif
Fortune
We won in Afghanistan? eek.gif

Might be a good idea to let those soldiers still fighting and dying over there in on that little tidbit.
Phaeton
...*merciless death to the thread*

Bah...I give up...Maybe this thread was a bad idea...
Kagetenshi
It wasn't a bad idea! Look! Deus is only one vote behind right now!
GO DEUS!!!

~J
Foreigner
Dr Komuso:

We did NOT win in Somalia. We got our a$$es handed to us by a bunch of street thugs. Our stated objective was to capture Mohammed Farah Aidid, and we FAILED to do so because then-President Clinton didn't authorize the use of enough troops or equipment to get the job done properly.

Same problem in Kosovo. We never should have sent troops there, either. It wasn't any of our business. But because then-President Clinton was trying to make points with his friends at the U.N., he sent American troops into a situation they couldn't possibly win.

I'm not saying that the war with Iraq was entirely justifiable. However, we went there with at least 2 objectives in mind. The first was the removal of Saddam Hussein's government and the Ba'ath party from power, and the second was the restoration of a normal way of life for the average Iraqi.

We have accomplished the first objective, but the second remains elusive. And, if we abandon Iraq now, it will be a very short time before some of Hussein's former cronies (the ones who haven't been captured or killed), or others like them, take over the country.

--Foreigner
Phaeton
@ Kagetenshi: Ah, true. Just pray he doesn't get ticked off at anything. Is it a good idea to piss off an AI running three nuke reactors? wink.gif

@ Foreigner: Ah, there...Nice and civilized again. Continue, chummers.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Foreigner)
we went there with at least 2 objectives in mind.

No we didn't. The war was justified on the principle of preemptive self-defense, that Iraq was a significant and immediate threat to the safety and security of the United States and/or its citizens. One stated goal, unachieved and increasingly appearing to be unachievable due to the nonexistance of the conditions claimed as a "threat".

How is this relevant to the thread? Because storming the Arcology was done with much the same justification, only Deus really did have the drones and reactors. Deus, however, is cool.

~J
Dr Komuso
Deus is awesome. Still, I vote Darke. After all, the devil you know, and all that.
Plus it'd be a cool Jason Wynn style return to power from apparent death smile.gif

Side Note: Freedoms are what make this country great. I'm free to team up with all my bleeding heart liberal buddies and bitch all day about what an evil SOB I think Bush and his cronies are, and those who disagree with us are free to sit around and bitch all day about how we're a bunch of bleeding heart liberals who wouldn't know a decent days work if it bit us in the ass. Agree or not, we all get to say whatever we want, and that's what's important.. America is wonderful biggrin.gif

I think Deus would have loftier goals than simply the presidency of the UCAS. Perhaps the UN (What's left of it), the NAN, or.... gasp.... the Corporate Court. Deus in control of ZO..... resistance is futile. cyber.gif

F'in A, finally found an excuse to use the cyber smiley.
Kagetenshi
Together we will administrate the world.

~J
Dr Komuso
And just try bringing him up on charges of monopoly.
Phaeton
...Deus vs. Bill Gates...

...*flees*
Kagetenshi
Deus would have difficulty at first due to being unable to run on horribly-buggy software. Eventually he'd learn to install some version of Linux and reboot systems before invading, making everything much easier.

~J
Phaeton
...And I am suddenly reminded of my Agent Smith vs. Deus thread. dead.gif Yay! I'm a complete looney at last!
GoldenAri
Dues as president would be an awful idea. Once he's in and running on EVERY GOVERNMENT COMPUTER do you really think there would be any way to have a fair election, or in any way remove him from office?
Kagetenshi
Once Deus is president, you no longer need elections.

~J
Shockwave_IIc
There you happy now? i voted. Deus is winning.
Kagetenshi
Yay!

~J
JongWK
I beg your pardon but ... who's Century Ferret?
Foreigner
Dr Komuso:

I agree on one point. You're correct about the freedoms part. I believe that it was Voltaire who said, "I disagree with WHAT you say, but I will DEFEND UNTO DEATH your RIGHT to say it!" [Emphasis mine.]

Kagetenshi:

With all due respect, just because we haven't found the Weapons of Mass Distruction doesn't mean that they either don't exist now, or never existed in the first place.

Don't forget, Saddam and Co. had almost 5 years to hide their stash of forbidden weapons after then-President Clinton didn't do anything more than lodge a complaint with the United Nations following the expulsion from Iraq (in 1998) of all of the U.N. inspectors whose very presence they had agreed to as a condition of the cease-fire which ended the 1991 Gulf War, allegedly (according to the Iraqis, anyway) because they were all C.I.A. agents.

Said cease-fire also gave any of the so-called "Coalition" nations involved in the War--not just the United States, but also Great Britain, France, Kuwait, Syria, and Saudi Arabia, among others-- the right to use MILITARY FORCE to ensure Iraqi compliance with the provisions of the cease-fire agreement, in the event that other forms of coercion were unsuccessful. Under the provisions of the 1991 cease-fire, President Clinton had the authority, if not the obligation, to use military force to ensure the safe return of the U.N. inspectors to Iraq, and also to ensure that they were allowed unrestricted access to all suspected weapons sites--yet, as we all know, he chose not to do so, leaving yet another mess for his successor to clean up.

--Foreigner
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (JongWK)
who's Century Ferret?

The first awakened beasties. Ferrets, yet more than ferrets.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Foreigner @ Feb 1 2004, 07:51 PM)
With all due respect, just because we haven't found the Weapons of Mass Distruction doesn't mean that they either don't exist now, or never existed in the first place.

The Gulf War demonstrated that the international community was not going to brook aggression by Iraq. Between that and the Clinton-era bombing of anything vaguely approaching infrastructure in Iraq (one of the various things Clinton did that I don't agree with), even if Iraq had N/B/C weapons filling the country hip-deep, they still would not have been a threat to the US. They didn't, and it would have made no sense for them to have had any. Since they could not have used them against their neighbors (Gulf War, as previously mentioned, let them know that their current borders would not be growing) and could not use them within their borders (the aforementioned cease-fire provisions, doing so would alert the world to their presence and be tantamount to suicide). In other words, they had NO USE for these weapons, and their existence could only serve as a liability.
That and the inspectors who got kicked out were all but conclusively demonstrated to have been conducting espionage...

~J
Dr Komuso
With Deus in office, you don't even need a constituency. eek.gif
Foreigner
<SIGH>

Why do I even bother?

There is an old saying to the effect of "...there is no arguing with a closed mind...",
Kagetenshi, and you, LoseAsDirected, and the good Dr Komuso have just proven it to be accurate.

As I seem unable to convince you three to accept my point of view, and it's probably equally unlikely that I'll come around to yours (I'm a registered Republican, and proud of it! biggrin.gif), I think that the four of us had better just "agree to disagree", as the saying goes, before this discussion degenerates any further and we end up saying something that we might regret later. Besides, as
Dr Komuso said, freedom to express one's opinion (I believe that is specifically the one to which the good Dr was referring) is one of the freedoms which make this country great.

Okay by you gentlemen and/or ladies? (BTW: Sorry for the all-inclusive phrase, but it's often difficult to tell what the person behind an Internet alias is really like--which, I suppose, is the reason for them in the first place. smile.gif)

--Foreigner
Kagetenshi
Perfectly acceptable, though I'd just like to mention that my mind isn't so much closed as filled with sufficient volume of information as to make changing my mind on this subject a difficult process involving rather a lot of counterevidence, all of which is best left for some other board (if at all).
Now, let's get back to flaming each other about the politics that really matter: DEUS FOR PRESIDENT!!!

~J
JongWK
Pffft. Damien Knight is Deus' daddy. nyahnyah.gif
Kagetenshi
Damien Knight and Harlequin fell in love and had two beautiful children, Captain Chaos and Deus.
The Century Ferret performed the baptism.

~J
Austere Emancipator
I think it's rather sad that people are so afraid of super-intelligent politicians, especially when they are in very high positions. Not every intelligent person in the world is a sadistic paranoid psycho who just wants to torture everyone. Many of them are far more empathic and caring than the idiots.

Deus: Why vote for the lesser intelligence?
Foreigner
Fine by me. biggrin.gif

In that case, Kagetenshi, I'd like to nominate Ryan Mercury as a write-in candidate for President, and his good friend Nadja Daviar for Veep. smile.gif

Unless, of course, they've already tied the knot, in which case she'll have to settle for being First Lady--although that can be a rather powerful position in itself. smile.gif

--Foreigner
Phaeton
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Damien Knight and Harlequin fell in love and had two beautiful children, Captain Chaos and Deus.
The Century Ferret performed the baptism.

~J

...That is now my signature quote.
Kagetenshi
Thanks biggrin.gif

~J
nezumi
man, three way tie... I'm thinking we might need to have a runoff... One more vote and the computer wins!
Req
Everyone, vote early and often!
Kagetenshi
Get involved! Vote! Elect Deus and you won't have to do it again!

~J
last_of_the_great_mikeys
I'm sick of corporations running rampant in the Shadowrun setting! Vote for Art Dankwalther! And Slamm-O for VP!
Phaeton
Fear not, fellow Dumpshockers, for coming soon is...

...The Shadowrun Presidency: Recounted (No offense meant to you, Foreigner. Just needed to give it a stupid title. grinbig.gif)!
Foreigner
No problem, Phaeton.

As long as someone doesn't pull an AlGore and try to STEAL THE ELECTION, that is.... wink.gif

--Foreigner
Kagetenshi
Nah. The steal-the-election gig was 2000; once they do it successfully, doing it again just makes it get old.

~J
Fortune
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Nah. The steal-the-election gig was 2000; once they do it successfully, doing it again just makes it get old.

That's why the Democrats will have to try again in '04...they haven't actually done it successfully yet!
Kagetenshi
No no, the election was stolen quite successfully. Note that I'm not advocating popular vote over electoral college, rather stating an opinion of the results of a thorough recount. That's neither here nor there, however, nor will it be until 2056 and the Technocrats committing electoral fraud.

~J
BumsofTacoma
Deus is winning?!?!?!

I knew it your all under his controll!!! your all slaves to DEUS!!!

Must run away before I am .........

biggrin.gif .....VOTE DEUS EVERYBODY... biggrin.gif

edited: Because Deus wanted it that way.
Req
Compilation must be completed. Errors must be purged. Code must be pure.
JongWK
Sheesh, what does a corporate CEO need to get elected? Nuke a city again?

"Knight 2064: The Gun-toting American Way of Life!"
This ad was paid by the NRA
Kagetenshi
Unit D5:82:11::F8:EA:D7:8A (BumsofTacoma) has been disinfected and debugged.

~J
Reaver
QUOTE (BumsofTacoma)
Deus is winning?!?!?!

I knew it your all under his controll!!! your all slaves to DEUS!!!

Must run away before I am .........

biggrin.gif .....VOTE DEUS EVERYBODY... biggrin.gif

edited: Because Deus wanted it that way.

You do realize that Deus is dead right? biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
Nietzsche was referring to someone else when he said that.

~J
JongWK
Kagetenshi, it's more than probable that the Technocrats didn't rig the election, but that a certain dead wyrm did it. The TEchies were way ahead of every poll, but Dunkie needed them O-U-T.
Kagetenshi
You've got an extremely good point, and that's entirely possible. I'd say it's a given except for the example of Nixon showing that politicians can indeed be paranoid enough to cheat while they're ahead.
Hm. I've been leaving my tinfoil hat off too much lately.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012