Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun 4th Edition!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Shadow
I was reading the SR3 book today and I read the page, 'The Developers say'. At the end they said,

"9 years is a long time, yet we are confident we just set Shadowrun up for another 9 years... see you in 2007!"

I am sure it was totally Whimsical but I have to ask, is FanPro planning a 4th edition, ever? I think we all agree there are some things that could be changed or clarified. But does SR3 need a whole new edition? Personally, I don't think so. I think they should use reprints as an opportunity to add in clarification, or revise rules. Stick the errata in everytime the book prints and always look for new things to change. That may not be economical, as the artical hinted at in the back of SR3, you need a new edition to make money. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
Kanada Ten
I think they have too much planned for third edition for several more years to switch even by 2010. If the sourcebooks keep selling then another edition won't be seen as "more" profitable.
GoldenAri
I disagree. It's even worse in my opinion that they stick the errata into the newer editions. I always get my books as soon as they come out. It's impractical for me to after a year or so buy the exact same book with just a few minor corrections. It is good for those that wait I admit, but whatever. Not that I mind greatly, and I think it's better than nothing.

[EDIT]People misunderstand my comment. I think it's great that they put out the erratas for free (I've got a organizer filled with them) and that they keep going back and revise the erratas. I think it's great that they include the errata in each new printing. What I was trying to say (all be it very poorly) was that I think that getting an errata after errata should not make someone think that there is no reason to have a 4th edition. Also, constantly putting revised version of the same book can lead to confusion as one persons book says one thing and another persons book says another (though if your keeping up with the erratas this shouldn't be a problem). I hope this clarifies my position a little better. I realize what I wrote somewhat contradicts the purpose of what I was saying, but the edit is closer to what I had initially intended[/EDIT]

How long was it between SR2 and SR3? I'm in a lab right now so I don't have my stuff.
[EDIT] 9 years...Oh...right...god I'm an idiot.[/EDIT]

Maybe 2007 isn't a bad target date. 3 more years. I'd be willing to buy a new core book by then. Plenty of time to moderize shadowrun's story and system.

This of course begs the question "What would SR4 look like?"

BP in the core rule?
Becks in the companion?
Cyberlimbs that make sense?
Stats having a greater impact on skills?
Fortune
QUOTE (GoldenAri)
How long was it between SR2 and SR3?

9 years, as Shadow quoted in the first post. wink.gif
Adam
I disagree.  It's even worse in my opinion that they stick the errata into the newer editions.  I always get my books as soon as they come out.  It's impractical for me to after a year or so buy the exact same book with just a few minor corrections.

Nobody expects you to. The errata is released for free online, and you can do with it what you wish - ignore it, print it out, write it in the margins of your books, whatever.

Would you prefer that FanPro didn't correct new printings as they were released?
Domino
I'd prefer they didn't make the errors in the first place but since I have trouble spelling my own name I can't complain. wink.gif
LoseAsDirected
Hey, don't mind him, Adam.

I'm sure he's among the minority in regards to this issue.. I know that I, for one, am grateful that FanPro provides errata for confusing rules and misprints. The fact that they can be downloaded for free makes is that much better.

At least they haven't made SR3.5 yet.. ohplease.gif
Kagetenshi
They should make SR 3.125 or 3.0625. That way we can let people know our commitment to infinite incremental revisions biggrin.gif

~J
Adam
QUOTE (LoseAsDirected)
Hey, don't mind him, Adam.

Oh, don't get me wrong; I'm not upset or annoyed, more confused. smile.gif
Spookymonster
I'd love to see streamlined design rules. As it stands now, gun and vehicle design follows one set of rules, spell design follows another, lifestyle follows a third, Skillsofts a fourth, and so on. Every sourcebook seems to want to reinvent the wheel. IMHO, this creates an obstacle for new players learning the game, as well as old players wanting to GM.

While we're at it, apply the standardized design rules to cyberlimb creation and get rid of the current half-assed design rules.
Kagetenshi
Ewww... standardized design rules? Just... ewww...
Magic design for magic. Vehicle design for vehicles. Etc. Combining them can only end in grief.

~J
Diesel
Ditto. How /would/ you standardize such massively different fields?
Aristotle
But I was really hoping for a High Lifestyle with Rigger Controls that can sustain Force 10 spells. Can I squeeze all of that into a pistol, or will I have to go SMG?

er ... sorry, It's been a long day.
Iggy
All I want to see is rules for computers that make sense. For the love of god computers get cheaper and faster as time goes by. Millions of Nuyen for the top of the line deck with all the goodies? They should figure out a better way to limit the Decker other than money.
Kagetenshi
The top price for the top-of-the-line deck is exactly what it should be. The Fairlight Excalibur is like heavy metal in a man-portable package. It is a tiny god.

~J
hp_warcraft
The component cost should be negligible - it's the programming cost that is the problem. Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but in order to create an Excalibur Fairlight someone with the Computer (Programming) Skill of 12 has to write the code.
Of course, if all Fairlights have the same factory MPCP then it is a one time cost for the company, but Programming 12 - Ouch!
Kagetenshi
Negligible component cost? Eheh...

~J
nezumi
I'll disagree with you, hp. Check out the cost of video cards, as a nice example. The code in video cards is negligible. You're paying for R&D, processors, fans... And the more power you put into your box, the more hardware you need to support it. The difference between a server and a laptop is far more than just the OS.
Spookymonster
QUOTE (Diesel)
Ditto. How /would/ you standardize such massively different fields?

Maybe something like build points?

Start with a set of base container objects with BP ratings (e.g., a car chassis has 200BP, a Severe drain spell has 75BP, a low lifestyle would have 50BP, a basic activesoft has 100BP, a heavy pistol would have 150BP, etc). Each modification would have a cost in build points and nuyen. Some are flat costs(burst fire capable: 15BP), others are percentages (Illusion class spells: 25% base BP). To fit more things into the base container, you'll need to accept modifications with limitations (one-shot activesoft: -50% base BP), or pay more nuyen to get the BP cost reduced.

Final nuyen cost is equal to base container object cost plus all modification costs, maybe even give a discount if you didn't use all your available BPs (still have 20BPs left over for your lifestyle because you cheaped-out on security? Take 10% off the cost).

Oh well... just an idea.
LoseAsDirected
Let us not forget that cyberdecks =/= cyberterminals in the direct sense..

A good cyberterminal will only run a few thousand nuyen, and that's about standard.. You get get a Desktop PC for cheap as well..

Remember, cyberdecks are HARDLY standard off-the-shelf-at-the-local-Gateway terminals.. They're restricted as all hell, and sometimes just down right fraggin' illegal.. Besides, what self respecting Decker has an off-the-shelf deck? I just wish it was easier (and better defined) to start your decker with a custom made deck at character generation..

The same goes for programs.. A Decker can create a nice program for virtually no cred during a few weeks of downtime, and possibly even make a copy of it and try to sell it off.. In my games, Deckers tend to be either stinking fraggin' rich, or so lazy that they just barely manage to pay the bills (regardless of relative skill level).

And why the frag are programs so damn huge? Seriously, why should a data file that is nothing more than a glorified .doc+.vid be so damn huge? I usually make datafiles (even paydata) rather small.. I can almost understand the size of actual programs, since they have to operate on a 3D level in a virtual world, but does every choice bit of paydata have to be comparable to an Attack program (as far as Mp size goes)?

And has anyone figured out just how large an Mp is? Sure, it's a million pulses.. But how large is a pulse? I understand the use of a generic term like Mp to keep things simple, but face it.. We all know that the deckers in every group are the biggest computer nerds around, and they want to know just how large an Mp is.. My best explanation so far is that a single pulse is roughly a MB, making a Mp about million MBs... That seems to satisfy their first question, but then they always ring in with complaints about how even a highly complex program shouldn't be more than 100GB, at most (and that's REALLY pushing it into the far ends of technology).. Sure, ASIST is complex and all, but is it really THAT much more advanced than what we're working with now?

Now, I understand that most of the questions of that nature arise from my own explanation (Mp = 1 million MB), so it's not exactly a problem with canon material, but I'd really like some sort of canon explanation (even half-assed) for just how large an Mp is compared to our current storage devices.

Anyway, that's my 2¥.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (LoseAsDirected)
And has anyone figured out just how large an Mp is? Sure, it's a million pulses.. But how large is a pulse? I understand the use of a generic term like Mp to keep things simple, but face it.. We all know that the deckers in every group are the biggest computer nerds around, and they want to know just how large an Mp is..

Depending on how you go about finding it out, you can come up with numbers between 1Mb and 1x10^27 bytes. There's absolutely no way you can ever be sure, and it's not supposed to be comparable anyway.

That seems to satisfy their first question, but then they always ring in with complaints about how even a highly complex program shouldn't be more than 100GB, at most (and that's REALLY pushing it into the far ends of technology)..

Take the first word processing program released. Compare the size of it to Word 2003. Create a 2nd power function based on those two figures, where y stands for program size, starting from year x1 (year of 1st word processing program release) to x2 (2003) and then solve for Y at x=2063.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll find thousands of posts worth of discussion about this issue if you'll bother to search the old forums. Haven't seen the topic around in a while, probably because realization of futility has finally hit home.
BlackSmith
one word about your all generalization:
Yök!

with your system there is no difference in characters, after all.
they all got the same amount of goodies in every damn situation without reflection about his choices he makes while distrubting those points.

currently; i take top attribs, i CAN have cheaper skills but money less and less magic.
if i take lots of money it is straight compared how much and what class of EQ i get.
with that system you just pay some magial all around karma that can give you anything regaldes what ELSE you take. like bad alternative for Becs karma system, that itself is IMO a bad home-brew version of PB system.

PB is damn good system except the money-for-PB rate is not logical in SC.

~

i hope they make SR4.

1. the grenade timing rules suck.
last game session we were having this catch-the-grenade-and-it-toss-it-back-fragging-many-times for four grenades, and one of the was thrown sixs (6) times back and fort.

we simply ruled that you can make grenades that go off after hard enough hit, thus you can't throw it back unless you cast the grenade against something soft (water, sofa, thick snow..)

2. explosive rules suck big time.
hear out this. you go to store and take 300gram's of C-4 and plant it all inside a plane. pull the detonator and -BANG- there is no plane anymore.
in SR; take 9kg's C-12, plant it in ON the plane, hit the detonator and -puff- there is MAX ~36 meters hole in the plane, BUT anything beond that radius is unharmed.
and as i have figured from the rules, C-12 should be three(3) times stronger than C-4.

also there is no difference where you plant the charge in SR, but in RL you need one quarter of the amount of surface charge, if you can plant the charge inside of the target.
one quarter.
(yes you would need roughly 1,2kg's C-4 to blow that same plane from out side)

what about puting those explosive rules to this form.
damage code drops with one for each distance multiplier from the detonation (now the damage power drops but the code is same).
thus offensive grenade (15S) has damage code 15S inside of 15m radius, after that it drops 15M and lastly it drops to 15L thus grenade would have potential kill radius much more closer to RL.
standing 16m from frag grenade and being unscratzed is a jocke for all those who has ever thrown or used live grenade.

3. Essence cost for cyberware should be more depend what other stuff you have installed and what the ware realy does. having a Math SPU 3 and separate smart2 ballistic calculator sounds ricidicolous. specialy if you got farlight inside of your head also. and why amount of head memory has different essence cost? why not just put access point inside of your brain and locate the actual memory e.g. inside of your nose?
i have undestod that the essence cost represent the drift from humanity to machine. having a finger tip comaprement should IMO have no essence cost. anyone can loose their finger and get a some piece of goo to replace it, but their no less human. even if the finger would be hollow and you would store your pills in there, i dont feel that you would be any less human.
BUT as soon as the finger starts to twist and it can reshape itself in to a knife and it can transfer you consiousness to a virtual network... then we are talking about drift from human to a machine.
also if you fall now, broke your leg and see a doctor they are likely to put metal plates inside of you. are you less human then? no.
even if they would replace majority of your bones to titan? no, because there as much of human as anyone else but they have amusing time in airports.

and definently YES for one month more for publishing timeline for killing all the bugs. errata is always a big sign of unfinished work.

and definenty one last YES for SR4.
my book has lost 43 pages and the rest is also falling away rapidly. i need a new one.
Deep Blue
I was always under the impression that there is -no- comparisson between an MP and a MB/GB, because data storage in 2056+ is based entirely on holographic, light-based storage media -- nevertheless, for the sake of argument, the easiest way to figure out a conversion between the two would be to consider how much space it takes to record a second of trideo in MP (it's written somewhere) and then figure out how many megs or gigs it takes to record an equivalent second of 3D video.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Deep Blue)
how many megs or gigs it takes to record an equivalent second of 3D video.

How accurate do you want that video to be? With what kind of packing if any? You'll get results that vary roughly within the limits that I put forth.

This method (video size) has been attempted before, and it doesn't work. It can't work, and it won't work. Stop trying. nyahnyah.gif

QUOTE (BlackSmith)
Yök!

Forgive my fellow Finn here, what he's trying to say is: "Yuck!"

[Edit]YAY! I'm finally running! newbie.gif[/Edit]
nezumi
QUOTE (Deep Blue)
I was always under the impression that there is -no- comparisson between an MP and a MB/GB, because data storage in 2056+ is based entirely on holographic, light-based storage media -- nevertheless, for the sake of argument, the easiest way to figure out a conversion between the two would be to consider how much space it takes to record a second of trideo in MP (it's written somewhere) and then figure out how many megs or gigs it takes to record an equivalent second of 3D video.

The medium its being saved in is irrelevant. You could have a MB of data carved into rock, if you really wanted. MB, GB etc. is based off of the number of Bytes, which is based off of how many sets of 1's and 0's you have. As long as they're still in binary, they're still comparable (hypothetically). That said, perhaps with the crash they changed from Binary to something else, but that's just speculation.

I would NOT say that a Pulse = 1 MB, because saying a program 'shouldn't be more than 100GB' is based off of what you see today. Remember what Reverend Gates said (prepare for a misquote), no one should ever need more than 128KB of memory. It may have been 256, but it was in KB. Memory is going up exponentially, not linearly. I have no question that in 60 years, we'll have a 128GB bus speed between our processor and our hard drive. That means 128GB EACH TICK OF THE PROCESSOR (far, far less than a second).

Suffice to say, no, they neglect totally any real 'system' for how their memory works. That said, even text will seem 'bigger' now. Your standard word document starts at 23KB and goes up from there, however a text document can be measured in bytes. A Word2060 doc will probably start in the MB or GB range, just because they can. All sorts of extras are in there, maybe the 'mouse over and it says the word' stuff, or all of the extra tags that are hidden away. It's not unacceptable to say a standard document 60 years in the future may be 60+GB, just because it's crammed with all sorts of extras (however, leaving a little text file, or even the ACL, might be so small it'll simply say '1 pulse' for the sake of rounding). Maybe things also seem 'bigger' because we've moved from 32bit systems to 256 or 512 bit systems; a huge jump that multiplies how big your text files are many times over, even if you don't need all of those extra bits.
LoseAsDirected
Oh, I KNOW that Mp doesn't translate into MB... I understand it, and I even understand the thinking behind it.. But, as I said, computer nerds will want to play Deckers, and they'll raise so much hell on the issue that it makes Deckers even less appealing to the GM and the rest of the group.. And it's a shame, because I LOVE Deckers.. They are, hands down, my favorite archetype..

I'm just saying that one thing I'd like to see is some sort of canon explanation(again, it can be half-assed, so long as it at least attempts to set the groundwork for understanding) for how an Mp compares to an MB.. If it's as was said, they can't compare because Mp use optical chips (which, as I would guess, aren't compatible with magnetic forms of storage), then I'd at least like them to say that officially in some book so I can throw it at my resident computer nerd/Decker/bitcher and finally get him to shut up..

Also, I'd love for them to simplify decking even further.. I like most of the changes from SR2 to SR3, as it helps streamline a lot of issues, but it still bogs down and makes the Decker all that much less appealing (despite the fact that a Decker is almost always a requirement for a successful run) to the rest of the group..

And all the common work arounds for deckers (work with the Decker before the game; have the party use an NPC decker, and just make the rolls yourself quickly; have the Decker just make a few simple rolls) still take away a lot of flair that the Decker has..

And rigging.. Christ.. as much as I love vehicle combat (Riggers are my second favorite archetype, and the one I'd probably most likely be if I were in the Sixth World), everyone can agree how annoying it can be to have to go back and forth among the charts to figure out TN#s for every little action.. Christ, you have to do at least 4-5 different modifiers just to get the damn vehicle initiatives figured out.

Also, I don't understand several of the cyberware costs.. I understand how essence/cyberware relate to one another, thanks to the lovely opening for M&M, but it still leaves a few areas untied.. If it is as the canon rules say, why does bone lacing take up so much damn essence? It's not like you're actually wiring the plating to your nervous system.. In fact, you're sort of bypassing the nervous system entirely.. How is it any different from getting, say, a metal plate in your hip (albeit, on a much larger scale) in terms of reducing your humanity? Sure, there's the issue with the lacing allowing the bones to distribute the blood cells produced in the marrow, but even then, that's not that huge of an issue.. It's bone LACING, not bone PLATING.. You're strengthening the bones by lacing specific areas of the bones to increase durability, not covering the whole damn skeletal structure in plates. Also, why should Titanium cost any more essence than Plastic? If you're shoving an invasive material into the body and covering up the skeletal structure with said material, why does the nature of the material play such a huge roll in the essence loss? Surely plastic, while not as heavy or durable, is every bit as invasive and 'blocking' to the bones functions as titanium or ceramic..

Hell, this may be a minor issue based on my having missed a very simple concept, and if one of you has a satisfactory explanation for it (the idea of Mp being holographic in nature, and stored on optical disks explanation never occured to me, and it is what I'll use as the unofficial answer to any further complications that arrise from the XMp=YMB? issue), I'd love to hear them..
Quix
2 questions about this whole thing.
1) If so many errata are needed to make Shadowrun 'work', or make sense what ever form you prefer, why didn't FASA, now FanPro, have players test this stuff? If they do they either have bad testers who don't push the game at all or they don't take the advice of their testers, which amounts to the same thing.

2) Directed more towards all of us. If there are so many problems with Shadowrun then why do we play it? biggrin.gif
MrSandman666
Answer to question #2:
because the setting rules and the the ruleset is better than most stuff I've seen out there.

They definately need to simplify things. And I mean pretty much all things.
Healing needs to get simpler.
Rigging most definately needs to get simpler. Because of the complexity of the rules I currently dissallow anything that even closely resembles a rigger in my games. I love the idea but the rules just kill all the fun in it and make it tedious work to play out a simple car chase. (Rolling dice for accelerating? ohplease.gif)
Decking rules are cool so far but distract from the flair. Fair enough, I don't have an idea how to bring back the athmosphere without re-introducing such old problems like running two different games - one for the decker, one for the rest of the group.
The build point system needs to replace the priorities system.

And some more things I can't think of right now because my brain is jammed...
GoldenAri
Directed more towards all of us.

I think if the designers scanned the boards here consistantly (which it wouldn't surprise me if they did). They would find that there are a number of problems with the game that everyone agrees need to be addressed.

Fix, compact, simplfy, integrate, streamline the general populous's major issues and I imagine everyone would be willing to pick up a new copy.

Also, I'd make the companion a real companion. It would hold all the optional and adavanced rules (martial arts, initiation, MIJI, Metavariants, Otaku, etc.) and let the expansion books hold the design rules, new equipment, and IC discussions about the world.

I think most people would like the mood back in the game. "The Street Fighting Man" or whatever it was called in the back of SSC was great, more stuff to get people into the right mood and feel of the world would go a long way. Sort of like what WoD does with thier books, there's so much flavor. I frequently buy them just for the stories, and just ignore the whole system thing.
moosegod
I say they allow us to dikote everything.

One of my players plans to dikote himself.

And I'm going to let him!
Fortune
QUOTE (moosegod @ Jan 30 2004, 01:12 PM)
One of my players plans to dikote himself.

And I'm going to let him!

Tell him to use his money to buy Shadowrun books and Dikote™ his character instead!
moosegod
Nice.
DV8
Personally, I couldn't give a rat's ass about a new edition, though I'll buy it if it comes out...

...provided the atmosphere and the storyline still rocks as much as it does. I think the atmosphere of the game has taken a real dive lately, what with the Comet story-arc and everything, and I wasn't so pleased with the IE, SR/ED crossover storyline either, but I loved the Arcology story-arc. I say, less manapunk, more cyberpunk. If they don't totally erase that element I'll be fine.

As for the rules...they're just rules. They're secondary to storyline in my eyes and I really don't mind playing with a slightly broken system if the story and setting makes up for it.
MrSandman666
I second that. Although some rules need to be simplified (mainly rigging, as I already stated) the most improvements are about flavor. Second edition had so much more flavor and 'feeling' to it.
They need to remove all this rediculous mana-mystery stuff and get back to the streets and the grit. Magic adds some cool perspectives to the game but if I want a strongly magical world I play a fantasy game.
My vote (just as DV8's): less manapunk, more cyberpunk (or gutterpunk)
Connor
@LoseAsDirected:

If you want a comparison, in the description for the cyber that's used to record sound/video it gives the amount of Mp needed to store 1 min. of each. So, you could always use that as a rough translation. I'd look up the quote but I haven't got any of my books near me. It should be with the basic gear in the BBB though.
Kagetenshi
But those rules list the size of a minute of audio to be the same as a unit of video. ~70 minutes of uncompressed audio today takes about 700 megs. ~10 minutes of uncompressed video takes slightly under two gigabytes of memory. There is no useful comparison to real life storage that can be drawn from those numbers, they're for ease of use in the game only.

~J
Moonstone Spider
If we're talking an entirely new edition rather than minor errata I want the system for making tests in general to change.

The current system is idiotic in many ways, notably the fact that once you have a skill your attribute suddenly means nothing, which makes relatively little sense when you consider that the attribute costs more to upgrade. What's worse, in many situations your odds of success are far higher without a skill than with it, a real bummer if you want to learn a new skill. A skill level of 1 = failure most of the time, while a skill level of 0 may = success if you've got a reasonable attribute.

Take our in-need-of-a-fix rigger. With the high-end mods he'll have a rigging reaction of 18, and a max skill of 7 taking a specialization.

That means that if he has no car skill, then he can throw 18 die at this crash test (Let's say the test has a difficulty of 6) and his TN is 5, which gives him an average of 6 successes, and works on all vehicles period.

On the other hand the skilled rigger has a TN of 3 and throws 7 die, giving him an average success rate of 4 per test, despite having more skills and the same cyberware as his unskilled compatriot. That is not right.

I want a system of tests in which the attribute and skill both contribute to every test. I devised one myself in which you always rolled the attribute and the skill rating was subtracted from your TN (Had to use d20 die to make the math reasonable) but I suspect Fanpro can do even better. I know this would take a lot of playtesting and thinking but it would hugely improve every single aspect of Shadowrun since it would fix a flaw at the most basic mechanical level.
Spookymonster
How about using the Attribute as a complimentary skill? Every 2 successes counts as an additional success, but you still need to get at least 1 success from the base skill roll. Obviously, you couldn't do this if you were defaulting to the Attribute.
Connor
Well, I didn't say they were great numbers. The video is probably more useful than the audio. I think we ended up houseruling audio-only taking up much less. Although, it still shows the abstractness of the SR system. Even pseudo-benchmark comparisons are tough to come by.
GoldenAri
How about using the Attribute as a complimentary skill? Every 2 successes counts as an additional success, but you still need to get at least 1 success from the base skill roll. Obviously, you couldn't do this if you were defaulting to the Attribute.

Hey wow, that's not a bad idea. I might just implement that. Seems like it would slow the game down considerably though.

"All right I take a shot at him *rolls some dice*. Alright! 2 successes, now my Quickness *rolls more dice, counts up the dice*. Right, 4 successes total."

How about you can use your attribute rating as a pool that you can be allocate to reduce target numbers or something.
LoseAsDirected
You're still not understanding me..

I just want them to give some canon explanation for how an Mp compares to an MB... If they'll just say 'Mp is the rating of storage size for a holographic optical chip, and cannot be logically compared to the MBs of magnetic storage devices...' then I will be happy, because then I'll have some canon reason to give my Decker players and get them to leave me the fuck alone about the issue..
GoldenAri
My assumption had always been that a Pulse was the amount in information transfered over a single wavelength per second. Which if I remember correct that 9 gigs.

so a megapulse would be equivalent 9 million gigabytes of information. Which would be about in line for technological development in 60 years.
Moonstone Spider
The complimentary attribute ideas a good one, but how will it affect gameplay? You're basically handing most tests anywhere from 1-4 more dice with every test, which could cause trouble in some areas. Still it at least fixes the problem of Skeletor the Ghoul (Charisma 1, etiquette 2) being just as good in social situations as Sweet Lips the Elf (Charisma 9, etiquette 2).
Rev
Also complementary skill rolls are a pain because of the two sucesses for one thing. They have to be rolled and examined separately. Much easier to just roll half the amount of dice along with all the other dice.
GoldenAri
Rev's idea would speed it up significantly.

IIRC having a high charisma decreases your target numbers on social tests.
Moonstone Spider
Yeah I agree, I usually just go with +half skill for complimentary skills anyway.

Next potential issue: Imbalanced Attributes. Not all attributes are equally valuable.

Quickness is definetly the most valuable trait. Not only are almost all the firearm skills (And some melee skills to boot!) linked to it, it adds to your reaction, which can keep you alive in surprise situations. It determines ground speed, which can keep you alive in a dangerous non-surprise situation. And it adds to your combat pool, which can keep you alive in almost any situation. As if that wasn't enough the amount of armor you can easily wear is dependent on quickness as well, which will keep you alive even better. There is no archetype which doesn't benefit hugely from high quickness.

By contrast unless you're a conjuror or face you have little need of Charisma. It has only a handful of social skills linked to it, which under the current system can be upgraded and thus be equally useful anyway. It also adds to no other stats or pools.

Abstruse
I don't thing fiddling with attributes is a good idea. The attribute system has been pretty much the same since SR came out, and it works pretty well. The problem is that there are rules to make a character with a low Chr hurt, but no one uses them. Adapt the rules from Racism to apply to ugly people, NPC reactions, etc. Besides, in the shadows, not everything would be equal.

You're a shadowrunner, living the life totally, probably have a few arrest warrents, enemies in various gangs, and a few corps gunning for you. You live in a crappy part of town where people will take potshots at you out of boredom and leave your corpse for the devil rats. You can't sleep unless you hear gunfire every few minutes, you have so many locks on your door it takes you 20 minutes to get the thing open, you've grown eyes in the back of your head because you've had so many chipheads try to jump you from behind (Or you literally had one implated), you don't feel comfortable unless you've got damn-near security grade armor on, etc.etc. Now which is more important...being able to find cover fast, or having pretty eyes and being articulate?

The Abstruse One
Spookymonster
QUOTE (GoldenAri)
IIRC having a high charisma decreases your target numbers on social tests.

Correct. According to SR3 p.94, you can get up to a +2 bonus on Intimidation and Interrogation Open Tests.

QUOTE (Moonstone Spider)
By contrast unless you're a conjuror or face you have little need of Charisma.

Having a high (5+) Charisma helps in resisting Intimidation and Interrogation Open Tests (see above). It also helps reduce the penalties from dealing with racists (p.92). Lastly, unless you want to tell an NPC your life's story every time they pump you for info using Etiquette, a decent Charisma is recommended.

Still, I get yer gist.
BlackSmith
actually plastic bone lacing should cost huge bunch more essence than titanic bone lacing.
why? human body (generaly) rejects plastic while it "thinks" titanium as a bone thus not rejecting it. thats why you get titanium hips, not plastic ones.

~

attribs should indeed reflect/impact skill uses but not by lowering TG's. then it would be damn unbalancing for other races because races having high attribute caps benefit from them even more.
i would give something like (½ the attrib) pool to used with linked skills, thus Quickness 6, rifles 6 would give you max 9 dices to roll for once per round + combat pool (rifles + Quicknes pool that is half of its rating).
it would also smooth the huge gap betwean characters with one iniative pass vs characters with multiple passes and it would high light even more the attribute/skill relations (that IMO are the best things of the game).

and if you think quickness is the most important one, try playing character with quickness 6 and str&body 1.
your dead in no time because you cant even carry your long coat.
also its damn humiliating not beeing able to open car/store/bar doors or even a jenki style beer can.
Moonstone Spider
QUOTE (BlackSmith)
and if you think quickness is the most important one, try playing character with quickness 6 and str&body 1.
your dead in no time because you cant even carry your long coat.
also its damn humiliating not beeing able to open car/store/bar doors or even a jenki style beer can.

I didn't say the other attributes meant nothing, I said quickness was the most valuable. And sure, playing with 1 in any attribute (Besides charisma or Strength) is a virtual death sentence because every other attribute either adds to your combat pool or is actively used to resist damage tests. That doesn't mean all attributes are equally valuable, or haven't you noticed that the most popular metavariant is the Night One (Quickness +2)?

So let's see a more reasonable comparison, rather than an assumption of pure stupidity. Which character rocks more, the one with 10 quickness and 6 on the other stats or the one with 10 body and 6 otherwise?

10 quickness man has a reaction of 8, giving him a huge edge on surprise tests and to operate vehicles, 10 body man does not.

10 Quickness man has a combat pool of 11, 10 body man has a combat pool of 9. Those extra 2 dice help quite a bit.

10 Quickness man can wear heavy military armor (9/cool.gif and pile a small riot shield on top of that for 10 points of each armor type, and still not reduce his combat pool, quickness, or movement rate one bit. By contrast if he tried to tank out like this, 10 body man would have a +4 modifier to all quickness related tests (And darn, that means almost every single firearm, although he could use heavy weapons) and lose most of his combat pool.

The benefit of 10 body? He'd get several extra die on his soak tests. Unfotunately with his quickness and pool down so much he'd find it nearly impossible to dodge, run away, or shoot back and actually hit the target, so that wouldn't help in the long run now would it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012