Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebooting Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
cndblank
QUOTE (Ghost in the Machine @ Oct 22 2009, 02:57 PM) *
True. But before, you didn't have propaganda networks capable of galvanizing the population nation-wide and the internet medium for mass organization.

You've already had extremists committing murder under the influence of your demagogues, and instead of acting like a wake-up call, it's only lead to more severe partisanship. I'll admit that a red-blue Second American Civil War is quite an unlikely event, but it's hardly outside the scope of believable speculative fiction.

The whole Red State Blue State issue is seriously overblown.

You look at actual voters likely to vote either Republican or Democrat and it is a less than a 10 percent difference (as between 41% to 59% either way).

Gerrymandering to give the incumbents (both the Republicans and the Democrats) safe congressional districts is what lead to this.

And the Gerrymandering has a lot more to do with that than a radicalization of the American public.

Safe congressional districts mean that the more radical party members can get elected because they do not have to appeal to the middle at all.

And the party in charge has the odds stacked in their favor.

A lot of Democrats in Texas do not vote that often for the Presidential election because Texas will go Red anyway.

That makes Texas (a very reliable Red state) look even more red than it is.

So while a state may reliably vote Red or Blue, that just means that one party can reliable get 51% of the vote (or not so reliably since 2008).

The Gerrymandering is a serious problem.
Sixgun_Sage
While it is interesting, and relevant, I think the arguing over how states split up in a fictional timeline is ultimately pointless, Shadowrun as a system (I personally believe SR4 to be fantastic in many aspects that had previously bothered me) is great about giving a mechanic to cover a large variety of situations. I believe most GM's and players complain about RAW needlessly, you are playing the game, tailor it to your style if you must. So long as the setting of the fictional world remainst internally consistent, and Shadowrun is far better at that than alot of games I've played, I'm against a setting reboot. It would alienate long term fans and deprive new players of the fun of going back through old supplements and novels and using them in their gaming experience.
Ghost in the Machine
QUOTE (Ravor @ Oct 22 2009, 09:08 PM) *
Under MY demagogues? ...[edit] assume you meant the "genretic you" and not Ravor.

I'm sorry. The "you" in my "your" was meant to be "the American populace", not anyone in specific. My apologies for not being clear.

As for the rest, the only real difference is in time frames, the newspapers and telegraphs of old were no less "propaganda networks" than CNN and Fox News are today (Or their European counterparts.)

I fully agree. However, the salient point is not the veracity of the networks, but the extent of the influence. The newspapers and telegraphs of old were not capable of disseminating propaganda to a percentage of the nationwide population in the course of an evening. In the pre-Shadowrun future, this will evolve into real-time political indoctrination wired directly into the constituent's heads, probably laced with virtual emotions. Imagine the effect of today's ranting heads if they could not only tell you how outraged they are, but make you feel outraged too at just-shy-of-BTL levels.

and hell if anything I'd say that despite itself the internet actually has a calming affect on the population.

I must completely disagree with you on that point.

So no, a second "Red/Blue" Civil War is utter and complete bullshit.

Again, I will say that in reality it is highly unlikely, although I suspect that America is more of a tinderbox than you may be willing to accept. But keep in mind we are not strictly speaking of reality. We are speaking of realistic events given Shadowrun-esque future developments.
Ghost in the Machine
QUOTE (cndblank @ Oct 22 2009, 09:50 PM) *
The whole Red State Blue State issue is seriously overblown.

You look at actual voters likely to vote either Republican or Democrat and it is a less than a 10 percent difference (as between 41% to 59% either way).

Indeed, a count-by-county breakdown paints the American States in swirls and swaths of purple.

As such, a clean state-vs-state battle is unlikely. Rather, the triggering event is more likely to result in nationwide rioting in the major cities.

In the Shadowrun world, the progression from there is likely to follow a line similar to this: Law enforcement will be overwhelmed, and the National Guard will be called in. Unfortunately, the Anti-Current-Government Party is also the Pro-Private-Militia Party, so clashes between the National Guard and extremists will result in the loss of American troops on the country's own soil. Martial Law will be declared. Less extreme members of the opposing party will take this as an infringement on their rights, and retaliate. Somewhere, at what is meant to be a peaceful gun-toting protest, somebody will do something stupid. Blood will flow. Congress will hastily pass a bill nobody has properly read. A demagogue will announce that the Big Bad Government is "finally coming to take our guns", which may not be wholey inaccurate. The "when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" mentality will seize a sizable portion of the nation. People in the Anti-Personal-Firearm-Collection Party will start arming themselves in fear of their neighbors. Everything will go to hell.

Balkinization will be the called for as a means of peace. The North-South division will be utilized out of familiarity and convenience, harkening to the deeply flawed Red State/Blue State map.

cndblank
A lot of the Red vs Blue is actually more Rural vs Urban with the suburbs split down the middle.

And the military is drawn more from the rural areas rather than the urban (I've heard it called an economic draft where the Military is the only source of new jobs).

If anything the demographics are currently against the Republics as more people become urban rather than rural.

But you could always argue that the plagues hit the cities worse than out in the country.

BTW, The Supreme Court has ruled that the Right to Bear Arms is a personal one rather than the right of the State government to have a militia.

So that would require an amendment to the Constitution which is not going to happen.

QUOTE (Ghost in the Machine @ Oct 22 2009, 04:31 PM) *
Indeed, a count-by-county breakdown paints the American States in swirls and swaths of purple.

As such, a clean state-vs-state battle is unlikely. Rather, the triggering event is more likely to result in nationwide rioting in the major cities.

In the Shadowrun world, the progression from there is likely to follow a line similar to this: Law enforcement will be overwhelmed, and the National Guard will be called in. Unfortunately, the Anti-Current-Government Party is also the Pro-Private-Militia Party, so clashes between the National Guard and extremists will result in the loss of American troops on the country's own soil. Martial Law will be declared. Less extreme members of the opposing party will take this as an infringement on their rights, and retaliate. Somewhere, at what is meant to be a peaceful gun-toting protest, somebody will do something stupid. Blood will flow. Congress will hastily pass a bill nobody has properly read. A demagogue will announce that the Big Bad Government is "finally coming to take our guns", which may not be wholey inaccurate. The "when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" mentality will seize a sizable portion of the nation. People in the Anti-Personal-Firearm-Collection Party will start arming themselves in fear of their neighbors. Everything will go to hell.

Balkinization will be the called for as a means of peace. The North-South division will be utilized out of familiarity and convenience, harkening to the deeply flawed Red State/Blue State map.

Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (Ravor @ Oct 23 2009, 07:08 AM) *
As for the rest, the only real difference is in time frames, the newspapers and telegraphs of old were no less "propaganda networks" than CNN and Fox News are today (Or their European counterparts.)

You know that one of them is internationally regarded as a source of amazingly bad biased journalism, and the other one isn't? (Hint: It's the one that dominates cable news ratings.) I was stunned when a local radio station here in Australia started bagging one of them out for biased coverage.. and clearly expected everyone to get the joke.

American politics are actually highly polarized and extremely right leaning by the standards of europe or elsewhere, and if you want silly scenarios to build a book out of, all you have to do is posit and increase in immigration caused by climate change driving people out of increasingly arid equatorial zones into America causing a total meltdown, and it would be good to go.
DigitalOYABUN
QUOTE (Ghost in the Machine @ Oct 22 2009, 03:57 PM) *
True. But before, you didn't have propaganda networks capable of galvanizing the population nation-wide and the internet medium for mass organization.

We'll have to go back to the history books on this one again folks. Pertaining to the United States (hell, the colonies) newspapers were printed and read by those of a particular leaning. Party members or those more incclined to one party supported their particular favorite paper by their patronage. Sensational, or "Yellow Journalism" became more pronounced in the early 1900's (Spanish American War).
Ravor
Hmm, since I'm mellow Ravor at the moment I suppose now is the time to respond... silly.gif

Ghost in the Machine I have to disagree over the extent of the population the oldtime media reached, sure it took longer for news to travel but all that really meant is that the newspapers had more power as people usually only heard and trusted a single source, in today's world that is no longer the case as people are turning towards multiple sources of information, many of which have differing biases. I also have to disagree about the internet, I see it as acting more as a pressure valve, sure, the radicals can find each other easily, but so can everyone else as well and truly radical websites tends to drive away more moderate people who might have held their nose and joined the cause.

I do agree with the future effect of emotive simsense tracks, but even in the Sixth World, the collaspe of America came first, and I doubt that the government would allow emotive tracks they considered dangerous hatethought to exist in the mainstream.

As for America being a tinderbox, from your comments I suspect that you aren't American and haven't spent a great deal of time here. With the exception of the tiny minority of extremists on both the right and left no-one has an active interest in seeing things burn. Sure, the party that is out-of-power will always make noise (I remember when the extreme Left was taking about how nice it would be if someone murdered our last president even to the point of writing screenplays on the issue, and I'm sure that the extreme right is murmering much of the same right now.) but in the end the voters speak and the transfer of power goes extremely smoothly.

As for the Militias vs the National Guard vs the Military, sorry, once again the actual extremists that would fire upon fellow Americans are in a tiny minority and you aren't going to see much more chaos than the Race Riots of years past, hell, as someone else has pointed out the military and national guard draws heavily from the same demographic that would otherwise be likely to join the miltias, Civilian Leadership or not, the Military is fairly "Right Wing" in their leanings.

Now if a person were to spectilate on reasonable ways that the American Government would collaspe given the current state of things I'd lean towards a tide of elections where the Federal Government was weakened to the point of being defanged and the States start evolving into nations of their own, smaller nations that the corps have an easier time of controlling. Of course, we'd still call ourselves Americans and wouldn't consider each state to be a seperate country, but the end result would be the same.

Cthulhudreams I'm in a really good humor right now so I'm not going to tear your face off but I will mention that the actual news section of Fox is much better and in depth than CNN's is. Now before you respond, kindly go back and read what I wrote again, I'm only talking about the news reporting, I'm not referring to Beck/Hanity/O'Rielly's commatary shows. Tis a pity since I used to enjoy watching CNN's newcasts but have seen them go drasticly downhill since the previous owner turned control over.

And sure, mainstream America is "rightwing" when compared to Europe, but it is also important to note that our friends across the pond have been predicting and in some cases even wishing for our demise since we first gave the King a black eye. (With the help of other European nations of course.)
Octopiii
America is "right-wing" compared to Europe? More conservative on certain issues, maybe, but America does not have a monopoly on anti-immigrant (and frankly racist) rhetoric. French and British National Fronts, I'm looking at you!

Anyway, on topic the NAN would be more like the N. Dakota than anything in a reboot.
Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (Octopiii @ Oct 23 2009, 03:02 PM) *
America is "right-wing" compared to Europe? More conservative on certain issues, maybe, but America does not have a monopoly on anti-immigrant (and frankly racist) rhetoric. French and British National Fronts, I'm looking at you!

Anyway, on topic the NAN would be more like the N. Dakota than anything in a reboot.

The british national party is a pack of bastards who should be shot - overall US politics are much more to the right of europe. For example, if France, Denmark, the UK or Sweden tried to move to where Obama wants to go with healthcare, their would be riots from how oppressive the proposal is.

Cthulhudreams I'm in a really good humor right now so I'm not going to tear your face off but I will mention that the actual news section of Fox is much better and in depth than CNN's is. Now before you respond, kindly go back and read what I wrote again, I'm only talking about the news reporting, I'm not referring to Beck/Hanity/O'Rielly's commatary shows.

Sorry, when it is syndicated in Australia and the UK both the opinion shows and the news coverage are called 'Fox News' so without explicit deliminators (which you did not include), I presumed you where talking about the entire channel, as you used the branded names for both Fox and CNN which incorporates other content. I am not sure where you indicated that you were only talking about the actual news section, so I think my remarks were well warranted, particularly given that the shows unique blending of news and opinion is one of the reasons for its strong success. Infact, I think given that very strong blending of news and opinion this needs to be examined in any discussion of the presentation of Fox News!

Secondly, you also presume. When I said the local radio was bagging out Fox News, they were bagging out the actual news coverage, not the opinion pieces. It took the BBC to have a (several) go(es) at Glenn Beck wink.gif
Ravor
More or less true, Fox News does run both kinds of shows on the same channel, much as CNN or any other 24/7 news channel does I'd imagine. However, I suspect that much of the "bagging" held its own bias as strongly as anything Fox or CNN has and quite frankly, I don't find anything the BBC puts on as "news" to be worth my time.
Cthulhudreams
Oh yes, if you're mocking something it's all about bias and perception.

It was just astounding to me how deeply the reputation of 'fox news' had permeated the global psyche.
Ravor
It's because at the moment they are the Big Dog and everyone likes taking shots at whoever is on top. When another network topples Fox off of thier spot then people will start mocking the replacement. Show me someone that has better coverage and I'll gladly watch them instead.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Oct 22 2009, 01:32 PM) *
I just think it's funny that they were relevant as the largest anti-national group in America when the game was being formed, but now they've been completely marginalized. And, everyone here is agreeing that the Native Americans should be marginalized in the game world to reflect this.

I guess a reboot could have Glen Beck leading a back-woods uprising against responsible governance.

Its more that they simply lack the population to run that large a country. Also the governments would never secede that large a chunk of land to anyone, ever.
MJBurrage
Shadowrun at its core is simply standard fantasy blended together with cyberpunk. It stands out amongst similar concepts due to the quality of the writing and the art.

As a cyberpunk game it needs Megacorporations to have trumped national governments. In the 1980s it seemed more plausible that this would come from calamity. Now it seems more plausible that the government just sells off or gives away it power to corporations until it is the real power in name only.

If I was to posit an alternate timeline for Shadowrun, I would keep the U.S. intact, but as a puppet regime owned by the corps that through owning all the politicians have received all the legal rulings required to rule in fact if not in name.
Ravor
I would agrue that even in the 1980s that was the more reasonable approach but that the NAN was created in order to give Seattle a "besieged" feeling, remember that in the old days the NAN was protrayed as alot more hostile then recently.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Czar Eggbert @ Oct 21 2009, 09:31 AM) *
I'm not to sure of getting rid of the Japanese influence, just look at Japan and robotics. Add in that the ASIST technology comes from Japan and you get Japan back on top.

Japan? 1st-generation ASIST was aparently developed by Dr. Hosato Hikita of ESP Systems in Chicago who were taken over by Truman Technologies which was why Chi-town became so big in the simsense game. Likewise for cyberware the first fully functioning cyberarm was developed by the British corporation Transys Neuronet, their first patient being the virtuosa violinist Leonora Bartoli. Throw in Richard Villiers and Matrix Systems owning the first real cyberdeck prototype and all you have to do is have him not sell it and the schematics to Fuchi Industrial Electronics and you've got the three main technologies of the game originating outside of Japan. Barring the original rather large Japan uber alles bias it shouldn't be too hard to keep things a bit more balanced I would have thought.
DigitalOYABUN
QUOTE (Octopiii @ Oct 23 2009, 12:02 AM) *

Very true, any conversation on illegal immigration in America is immediately thrown to the realm of racism.
Any reboot I'd like to see would be more akin to an Ork Renaissance of sorts, being they got the Or'zet Codex. Sure it spawned orksploitation, but shouldnt Orks come out of that with a renewed interest in real ork'dom?
Ravor
I doubt it, remember that despite the entire "ancient culture" orks already have their own culture that evolved naturally, so I don't see that as changing much just because of a stone tablet and new a new "rap" style.

*EDIT*

And please, most (but not all) of the cries of "racism" is overblown by the supporters of illegal immigration.
martindv
QUOTE (Czar Eggbert @ Oct 21 2009, 03:45 AM) *
I've been thinking alot about this lately, and so has the rest of Dumpshock it seems. If you were going to reboot Shadownrun, how would you do it? Think of it like a Manga, or a Marvel Ultimate title. Keep the themes (Japanese domination, Magic, Native American influence, Deckers, etc. ), but bring it into the 21st centuary. Try to keep as much of the flavor as possable but twist the themes to fit the current generation. For example in my world the SIN would take on a much more dominate role, witout one you could not buy anything in a leagel store. Maybe rewrite the NAN background a bit, maybe deemphasize the Mayan 2012 aspect. I would push the awakening back by about 20-30 years possably give it another catylist, maybe the discovery of the Akashick reords at the base of the Sphinx.

To the writers (Both offical and non), How would you reboot this great IP to capture todays teenagers without alienating completely longtime fans?

Czar Eggbert

I've recently been thinking that I'd like to reboot the whole damn thing to be set in 2013 with a clear RL/Game split in 2008.
Ravor
If they did that I'd simply walk away and play a cyberpunk setting of nWOD, the rules are similair enough to work.

With that said I wouldn't mind things changing slowly, but retcons aren't the way to go, hell I miss the "darkest" of the past.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Ravor @ Oct 23 2009, 01:56 PM) *
If they did that I'd simply walk away and play a cyberpunk setting of nWOD, the rules are similair enough to work.

With that said I wouldn't mind things changing slowly, but retcons aren't the way to go, hell I miss the "darkest" of the past.

An NWOD Cyberpunk would be... Interesting indeed...

Keep the Faith
Semerkhet
It would also be pretty easy to add magic to GURPS Transhuman Space, what with it being GURPS and all. If you grafted certain broad elements of the SR setting (like the Awakening) into the THS setting, you'd have a pretty substantial reboot of Shadowrun, along the lines of what they did with nWoD or BSG.
Ravor
Sure, but I don't like the GURPS ruleset, I really enjoy their fluffbooks and use them all of the time but the rules just give me hives.
Not of this World
Besides cyberpunk, SR1 was also High Fantasy which it has drifted away from. Starting heavily with SR2 it drifted more into Gun & Sorcery.

One of my big, big complaints is that 4th edition really doesn't feel like it has any of the cyberpunk, High Fantasy, or even folklore based mythology and cultures. If I had money to buy Shadowrun and reboot it I'd definitely hire Bob Charrette and get more of that element of original style back.

I would also go back to the old dice mechanic and fix it a bit. Better to have something unique than be a bad knock-off of WOD. The old system wasn't broken and had many years of knowing what was wrong so it could have been properly fixed. Instead the new system has just as many problems (as the Anniversary edition is now already trying to fix).

The New Philosophy of putting Great Dragons behind everything is just as annoying as the Immortal Elves were.

Old SR had too many magic systems, SR 4 is too few. SR1 felt just right with Mages and Shamans (and Grimoire adding adepts).

Doing away with the Matrix and ad hoc replacement with the ubiquitous Wi-Fi was too much. There could have been a very happy medium for me that was WAY overshot.

I really don't want the NAN and Elven made mundane as they are on their current route to becoming just another set of corporate states. Setting a run in the NAN or Elven Nations produced some of my favorite runs as the setting change drastically through the runners for a new kind of adventure. In fact I think it should go the opposite direction and you could make a lot of the alternate reality setting of "What if" a technocratic state conforming to Lakota ideals or how Fae creatures mind blend magic and technology in their own way. The way they're being handled in 4th leaves be totally uninterested.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Not of this World @ Oct 23 2009, 06:09 PM) *
Besides cyberpunk, SR1 was also High Fantasy which it has drifted away from. Starting heavily with SR2 it drifted more into Gun & Sorcery.

One of my big, big complaints is that 4th edition really doesn't feel like it has any of the cyberpunk, High Fantasy, or even folklore based mythology and cultures. If I had money to buy Shadowrun and reboot it I'd definitely hire Bob Charrette and get more of that element of original style back.

I would also go back to the old dice mechanic and fix it a bit. Better to have something unique than be a bad knock-off of WOD. The old system wasn't broken and had many years of knowing what was wrong so it could have been properly fixed. Instead the new system has just as many problems (as the Anniversary edition is now already trying to fix).

The New Philosophy of putting Great Dragons behind everything is just as annoying as the Immortal Elves were.

Old SR had too many magic systems, SR 4 is too few. SR1 felt just right with Mages and Shamans (and Grimoire adding adepts).

Doing away with the Matrix and ad hoc replacement with the ubiquitous Wi-Fi was too much. There could have been a very happy medium for me that was WAY overshot.

I really don't want the NAN and Elven made mundane as they are on their current route to becoming just another set of corporate states. Setting a run in the NAN or Elven Nations produced some of my favorite runs as the setting change drastically through the runners for a new kind of adventure. In fact I think it should go the opposite direction and you could make a lot of the alternate reality setting of "What if" a technocratic state conforming to Lakota ideals or how Fae creatures mind blend magic and technology in their own way. The way they're being handled in 4th leaves be totally uninterested.

First off, I really don't agree with a majority of what you said, but if that is your style, well, go with it...

As for setting runs in the NAN or Elven Nation, you can still do that, you don't even lose anything in doing so... it is as much the NAN (or Elven Kingdom) as it always was, it is jus t that now, Shadowrun has gone global... no longer is the NAN and Seatle the end all be all of the Shadowrun Universe... I think that this is a good thing... it opens up the world for more possible scenarios.... to do that, however, some things had to be de-emphasized a bit... now, you are getting sourcebooks throughout the world rather than in the Western US...

Give me more options that span the world over the closed spaces of the American Northwest any day... it does not invalidate what has come before, and provides a greater palette with which to paint your stories... Big Win for me...

Of course, Your Mileage May Vary...

Keep the Faith
Straight Razor
they did, it was called 4th ed
Semerkhet

I wish I could be content to just agree with Tymeaus and say I don't agree with what you are saying, but your exaggerations and misrepresentations cry out for a more complete rebuttal.

SR1 was "High Fantasy?" Really? To quote a favorite fictional character who was actually in a High Fantasy world, "I do not think that word means what you think it means." The defining characteristics of High Fantasy are that the stories take place in an entirely fictional world like Middle Earth or Shannara and involve an epic struggle between good and evil. How exactly was SR1 High Fantasy? How was SR ever *not* about guns and sorcery?

Okay, SR was never High Fantasy, so it can't drift away from something it wasn't. As for cyberpunk, I guess it depends on what you mean by cyberpunk. If you choose the definition of a "high tech and low life" dystopian setting in the near future, then SR is as much cyberpunk as it ever was. If you mean the 1980s cultural trappings associated with the seminal cyberpunk fiction novels, then I guess you can say that SR has drifted away from that. I say good riddance, but YMMV.

No folklore based mythology and cultures? I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this, but if you mean things like the Celtic-inspired Tir Na Nog or the Druid folklore influences on the UK and the, umm, Native American folklore-influenced Native American Nations and the Mesoamerican folklore-influenced Aztlan, then I think you can safely say that those are all still in the game.

Okay, the core dice mechanic is down to preference, but I still have to take issue. Why is it better to have something unique when we're talking about a dice mechanic? How about something where GMs can actually estimate chance of success with a given DP and Threshold rather than the mess that was the old dice mechanic. You say they could keep the old mechanic and "fix it a bit" or be "properly fixed" but you offer no insight as to what you actually mean. Don't you think that if they, as you say, "had many years of knowing what was wrong" that they would have fixed it in SR2 or SR3? The dice mechanic was just plain bad and I've been saying that since 1989. Finally, SR4 does have its problems, but none of them are directly attributable to the change in dice mechanic.

The Immortal Elves were always there and still are, especially with the new adventure series having an intro featuring Ehran and Harlequin. The Great Dragons were always there and I don't feel like they're being given much more emphasis than they ever were. Lofwyr was a member of the Council of Princes and the CEO of SK back in SR1. Ole Darktooth was elected president in SR2 or 3 (I forget which.) Again, you present an opinion and give nothing to support your case that putting dragons in charge is the "New Philosophy" of the developers.

I can sympathize here. I think there are pluses and minuses to the new system of traditions.

Too much? You do realize that the SR4 vision of the wireless matrix is likely to be substantially true by the 2020's, right? It's "too much" to update the SR setting to a view of communications and computer technology that is merely a few steps ahead of our own? Do you not see how laughably outdated was the view of those sorts of technologies in previous editions?

If, on the other hand, you're saying that "too much" means too different from how it worked, rules-wise, in previous editions, well that's your prerogative.

Your preferences are your own, obviously, but I feel obligated to note that there have been no books published under 4th detailing any of the elven or NAN nations, so it might be a bit early to judge whether they retain some of their unique flavor.

In conclusion, what I'm seeing from you and a few others in this topic, and in the forum in general, is a sort of nostalgic idealism, ascribing traits to the good old days of SR1 that were never really true. I've seen several cases of exaggerating traits of both SR1 and SR4 for the rhetorical purpose of making the contrast between the two editions seem more drastic than it is. This behavior is bizarrely similar to the attitudes among some older conservative Americans that the 1950s were some Ozzy and Harriet innocent Golden Age of American society. Let's not put SR1 up on a pedestal. It was a great game with a unique and compelling premise that was pretty cutting edge for its time. It also had numerous glaring flaws in its rule system that drove many people, myself included, to abandon it or house-rule it into oblivion.

Shadowrun has moved on, why can't you?
limejello10512
ooh! they should make it d20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :takes cover: that was a joke! It was just a joke!

we if they reboot I think first thing they should do is get some good security cause they be getting death threats from the fan boys. Supposedly the Xbox game was a reboot and you saw how well that worked. (although I don't see how it doesn't fit into the cannon all the timeline stuff works out and the other stuff just be can be said to be game mechanics.)

though I'm less interested in a literal reboot who knows how the future might alter the series. It's 2072 now and soon shadowrun will be in space. Could the colonies be a new avenue for conflict? Perhaps that could lead to more stability back on earth maybe coloton will wind up reestablishing the US. Perhaps china will be restored and a few other powers too then instead of tiny state conflicts there are gigantic world power conflicts but with the minor conflicts persisting in the colonies. At this point perhaps the fragmentation of the world has been the story for long enough and reunification could be the watch word of the day for a bit. That'd be cool I think.

but I just wanna say: YOU TELL EM RAVOR!!!!! also I think there is some confusion as to the meaning of rightwing. While rightwingers are often portrayed as being racist. The classical definition has nothing to do with racism but is in regard to libertarianism. That is to say the essence of rightism is about low taxes and hands off government and in that regard America tends to be very right wing in comparison to europe. I mean even in several free states like france and germany thought control is still practiced for example in germany it's punishable by a year in prison if you "blaspheme" against another religion. Now granted no one likes nazis but in america everyone can speak freely; because unless everyone has free speech then really no one does and the truth is the people didn't just never had the urge to censor someone until then. So yeah I think we tend to be more right wing.
Not of this World
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 23 2009, 05:45 PM) *
As for setting runs in the NAN or Elven Nation, you can still do that, you don't even lose anything in doing so... it is as much the NAN (or Elven Kingdom) as it always was, it is just that now, Shadowrun has gone global...

Oh I can and I still do when I play 3rd edition.

But I won't pick up 4th edition materials because they've steadily been moving away (since late 3rd edition when the decision was made to start moving to 4th) from the Tirs being Elven [ala Corporate Enclaves removing the Council of Princes and making their leader an Ork Corp lacky] or the increased corporatization of the NANs making them from being a unique setting to more of an everyday one.

Part of what was interesting about these settings was more than just being in a different part of the world but that you had places that had vast differences from anything in the modern world such as being run by ancient elven princes from an older world, a resurgent minority culture, police state (Vladivostok yay!) etc. I enjoyed those settings in my game because of the contrast (and sometimes the increased difficulty).

It isn't that I can't still play these things. There just isn't a point for me to buy 4th edition books to do so.
kzt
QUOTE (Semerkhet @ Oct 22 2009, 10:51 AM) *
Stating that SR4 "does not work" seems an unfair blanket statement, especially considering how much it still has in common with previous editions. You are exaggerating the magnitude and speed of the changes made to both setting and rules when compared to IPs like the World of Darkness. Finally, the icing on the paranoid cake is to state that "they" made the changes "just because," as if the developers of SR4 were malicious imps making changes willy-nilly with no thought to how they might improve the game.

Yeah, SR4 works at least as well as any previous version. Of course, give how totally broken much of SR1 was ('What does statistics have to do with game design?' = fail) that isn't a really high bar.... But most of the issues that are left are pretty much common to all editions. So the hacking rules don't work. but then they never did - in any edition. And the combat rules are kind of bizarre in parts, but that isn't something new to SR4.
Ravor
True, I've found that as long as you keep the dicepools fairly low the rules work smoothly, but I must admit to being peeved at some of the "modernization" in the setting fluff.
Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (kzt @ Oct 25 2009, 07:05 PM) *
Yeah, SR4 works at least as well as any previous version. Of course, give how totally broken much of SR1 was ('What does statistics have to do with game design?' = fail) that isn't a really high bar.... But most of the issues that are left are pretty much common to all editions. So the hacking rules don't work. but then they never did - in any edition. And the combat rules are kind of bizarre in parts, but that isn't something new to SR4.

Aside from the hacking rules, the rules for SR4 are the best of any RPG in print. Easily.
Ravor
I wouldn't quite go that far myself...
Cthulhudreams
Well I suppose Fudge is pretty cool... and Feng Shui is awesome tastic (and OOP I think), but what did you have in mind?
kzt
QUOTE (Ravor @ Oct 22 2009, 01:08 PM) *
As for the rest, the only real difference is in time frames, the newspapers and telegraphs of old were no less "propaganda networks" than CNN and Fox News are today (Or their European counterparts.) and hell if anything I'd say that despite itself the internet actually has a calming affect on the population.

People don't really learn anything about history in school these days. The level of venom and partisanship that has been traditional in the press prior to mid 20th century was pretty astonishing. You can still see this, to some extent, in the UK press. People also don't realize just how weak the tradition of the press sensationalizing out of recognition or just completely making up stories has become over the past few decades. "You furnish the pictures and I’ll furnish the war" wasn't an idle boast.

Part of this was that "Newspapermen" got replaced with "Journalists" in the US, as a traditional blue-collar job became instead staffed by people who graduated from the same elite universities. So you also ended up with most of the "Journalists" having the same general outlook on events and the same political beliefs. As long as the ethics that was developed as part of the professionalization (to suppress the old traditions of partisanship and sensationalism) held out this was ok, but it's becoming more obvious that they are not holding.

Events like the Dan Rather "Fake but accurate" scandal show this. There was always a certain amount of this, as shown by the fact that it's virtually impossible to find a picture of FDR in his wheelchair or any contemporaneous accounts of JFK's philandering, but it's gotten both more obvious and seemingly worse.

And the gatekeeping ability of the media and "Journalists" has decreased. It has become harder to pretend something didn't happen with the number of cameras and avenues for regular people to post pictures and tell their own view of an event or story. The exposure of Dan Rather's "Fake but accurate" scam shows that times have changed.

This is somewhat reflected in SR, but not as much as makes sense. The corporate press should be showing corporate rivals as baby eating crooks, not conspiring to cover up anything. The shadow boards are the pretty much the the way that SR reflects citizen reporting.
Ravor
Personally I see nWOD as easily being the equal to Fourth Edition (And better in terms of the way Background Merits and Flaws are handled.), and although I personally don't like GURPS ruleset the rules themself seems "more solid" in play. Hell, in it's own limited "niche" even Cancer 4.0 is pretty good in my opinion.

*EDIT*

To expand on my feelings slightly, Fourth Edition's char gen cost it huge points in my eyes, making it easy and fairly painless to reach hard caps is always a really bad idea in my opinion.
kzt
QUOTE (Ravor @ Oct 22 2009, 08:47 PM) *
And sure, mainstream America is "rightwing" when compared to Europe, but it is also important to note that our friends across the pond have been predicting and in some cases even wishing for our demise since we first gave the King a black eye. (With the help of other European nations of course.)

"The great unexplained phenomena of modern astronomy: namely, that the dark night of fascism is always descending in the United States and yet lands only in Europe."
Ravor
Meh, there really isn't special about Americans with the possible exception that we are just too stubborn to bow down to authority figures in general. If that ever changes then all of the predictions will come true with frightening speed.
Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (Ravor @ Oct 25 2009, 07:31 PM) *
Personally I see nWOD as easily being the equal to Fourth Edition (And better in terms of the way Background Merits and Flaws are handled.), and although I personally don't like GURPS ruleset the rules themself seems "more solid" in play. Hell, in it's own limited "niche" even Cancer 4.0 is pretty good in my opinion.

*EDIT*

To expand on my feelings slightly, Fourth Edition's char gen cost it huge points in my eyes, making it easy and fairly painless to reach hard caps is always a really bad idea in my opinion.

nWOD suffers from a couple of problems: The powers are stupid (let's consider dominate vs... nightmare? haha) and the combat system has become unbalanced with the loss of the soak role, and it makes dog pile tactics essentially unbeatable. Also why switch to a fixed TN then do other things that make it impossible to eyeball how many successes people will get from a dicepool.

Also the rules for predators taint are actually worse than the matrix rules. In no other RPGs is 'well, you met up in a bar' likely to result in a TPK.

Anyway, that's why I don't like nWOD, the combat rules are worse than SR. In essence. To whit (Stolen from Mr. Bane)

Scenario:

1 Werewolf, Garou Form
Relevant Stats:
# Stamina: 3 (5 with Garou)
# Resolve: 3
# Composure: 3
# Willpower 6
# Size: 5 (6 With Garou)
# Health: 8 (11 With Garou)
# Armor: 0

9 Children, Human Mortal
Relevant Stats:
# Dexterity: 1
# Strength: 1
# Composure: 1
# Resolve: 1
# Firearms: 0 (-1 Dice)
# Weapon: BBgun (+1)
# Willpower: 2

Round 1:
Garou1: Werewolf looks at children.

Children1 <--> 12: Roll 1 (Dex) - 1 (Firearms) + 1 (BBgun) + 3 (Willpower): 4 Dice

9 x 4 = 37 Dice, average Success per 3 dice, 12 Successes.

Werewolf takes 12 Lethal, dies.

Children take out a monster.

I mean really.
Ravor
True, which is why I listed it as being the equal of Fourth Edition, it isn't perfect either but I personally like the fact that being mobbed is a very bad thing in combat. I do have to agree about the Vampire rules though, but thankfully that line is easily ignored in the grand scheme of things.
Cthulhudreams
But if the rules for powers, combat, resolution mechanics and social interaction are broken, I'm just not clear on what is actually good about nWOD?
Ravor
You see, I disagree with most of what you just said about nWOD, sure there are "quirks" in the system, but I don't see them as being any more serious than the "quirks" in Fourth Edition where it is literally possible to have enough dice to relaiably hit a target with virtually every possible combat modifer in play or use ritual magic to kill anyone in the world in one hour.

The vampire line does suck though.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Not of this World @ Oct 25 2009, 01:26 AM) *
Oh I can and I still do when I play 3rd edition.

But I won't pick up 4th edition materials because they've steadily been moving away (since late 3rd edition when the decision was made to start moving to 4th) from the Tirs being Elven [ala Corporate Enclaves removing the Council of Princes and making their leader an Ork Corp lacky] or the increased corporatization of the NANs making them from being a unique setting to more of an everyday one.

Part of what was interesting about these settings was more than just being in a different part of the world but that you had places that had vast differences from anything in the modern world such as being run by ancient elven princes from an older world, a resurgent minority culture, police state (Vladivostok yay!) etc. I enjoyed those settings in my game because of the contrast (and sometimes the increased difficulty).

It isn't that I can't still play these things. There just isn't a point for me to buy 4th edition books to do so.

Kinda of sad, but I can see where you are comming from with he reluctance to delve into 4th edition... I don't agree with it, but do see your point (sort of anyway)

Just a small note here, but after 50+ years, those "settings" will no longer be really all that unique, you have had a full generation growing up with the idea that the NAN and the Tir exists... they will become commonplace...

Keep the Faith
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams @ Oct 25 2009, 02:24 AM) *
Well I suppose Fudge is pretty cool... and Feng Shui is awesome tastic (and OOP I think), but what did you have in mind?

Definitely Feng Shui for the Win... Am running an absoilutely awesome Star Wars game using this system and every one absolutely loves it over the canon D20 and Saga Editions which are just.... wrong, in my opinion

Keep the Faith
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Ravor @ Oct 25 2009, 02:31 AM) *

*EDIT*

In fairness though, you can do the same thing in NWOD if you really want to do so (Hard Caps that is, though it is a bit more "costly" to do so in NWOD)...

My take is if you want to be top of the game, just go straight to Feng Shui... you ARE the HERO of the story, in all its glory... Mooks will fall to your skills like wheat before the Harvester... until you run into a named character that is...

Preferences, I know, but there you go... For the record, I love the NWOD System though, particularly Werewolf, Vampire and Changeling... all awesome games...

Keep the Faith
tisoz
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 25 2009, 10:37 AM) *
Definitely Feng Shui for the Win... Am running an absoilutely awesome Star Wars game using this system and every one absolutely loves it over the canon D20 and Saga Editions which are just.... wrong, in my opinion

Keep the Faith

Wow, the triple post trifecta.

To use the "multiquote" feature, click on the MULTIQUOTE button of each post you wish to quote, then ADDREPLY at the bottom of the page.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (tisoz @ Oct 25 2009, 10:46 AM) *
Wow, the triple post trifecta.

To use the "multiquote" feature, click on the MULTIQUOTE button of each post you wish to quote, then ADDREPLY at the bottom of the page.

Yeah, I always forget about it as I read and reply to individual posts... I need to work on that...

Keeep the Faith
Stahlseele
Else, quote complete post, cut from new answer, insert into first answer. i do it that way.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Oct 25 2009, 11:50 AM) *
Else, quote complete post, cut from new answer, insert into first answer. i do it that way.

Done it a few times that way as well...

Gotta work on it...

Keep the Faith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012