Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Riggerdeckersamuraimageadepts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
moosegod
And JongWK, you get my PM/check the damn thread...
sable twilight
errr? Are you wanting characters that can do all those?
Reaver
QUOTE (sable twilight)
errr? Are you wanting characters that can do all those?

That's a good question. smile.gif
Jason Farlander
I assume he is. Don't worry though, its apparently really easy to do with BeCKS.
Austere Emancipator
Yeah. I bet Kagetenshi and BlackSmith have been building those killer characters for just this purpose.
Req
I'm waiting to see. These characters are going to SUCK, Req thinks.
moosegod
Yeah, they have to fufill all the roles (Excepting faces, of course-only girls do that wink.gif ).
Prototype
Prototype is an ork who pretty much fullfills these criteria I think...

Okay, rigger... he isn't yet, but he has enough saved to get VCR 1 and a bunch of remote control deck equipment, drones, etc. so that'll be fullfilled within a few weeks!

Decker - he has a datajack and an MPCP-10 Cyberdeck with most programs between ratings 6 and 10!!! Pretty good, Computer 6 as well, though he's gonna get a Math-SPU when he gets the VCR probably!

Samurai - well, in addition to his datajack he has vision and hearing mods, Move-By-Wire 3, Titanium Bone Lacing, Dermal Sheath, Smartlink, a bunch of headware, Skillwires-6 (1000Mp), Expert Drivers (2 of them), and some other stuff. By way of Bioware he has Platelet Factory, Trauma Damper, Muscle Aug + Toner, Mnemonic Enhancer and some other stuff...

Image - presume this means 'face' type stuff? Well, he has Negotiation/Ettiquette and that around 5-6 along with a bunch of other skills in this vein chipped. I suppose that kind of covers it! He's stealthy too, which most of these guys are!

Adepts - He's a physad around initiate grade 7 - powers are hit hard by all the cyber and stuff, but mainly run to enhanced skills, pain resistance, mystic armour, killing hands and the like. Plenty of centering on just about everything and a Rating 6 Weapon Focus plus Rating 4 Centering Focus to round it all off.

Sound like your man?
techboy
Not image. Mage. And he's not.
Reaver
Ok. This one has been a long time in the making and started all the way back in 1st ed.
----------------
Reaver

Rigger - Well, not yet, but does have the essence to afford a level 1 VCR if and when he wants to shell out the major nuyen for a delta grade version and the skilled surgeon. Does have a few nice cars already and an old SPECAT International Jaguar fighter. Does have a datajack and all his vehicles have a datajack port.

Decker - Has an implanted Math SPU (3) and Encephalon (2). Has a highly modified Trans-Berry NeuroSys cyberdeck that he picked up from a published adventure (Imago I think). MPCP 13 (running of 12 since it uses a reality filter) and most programs are at an average of 6. Computer skill is only a 4, with a B/R of 2. Decking is more of a past time/hobby than a full fledged skill.

Samurai - Has dual smartgun rig, a single cybereye (which he lost in a fight with a bug shaman) and a rating 6 implanted radio (w/ commlink 4, crypto-circuit 8, scramble breaker 6 and a cybercomm link). Skillwire 6 (300Mp) for backup esoteric skills. Also has muscle augmentation and muscle toner, enhanced articulation, synthacardium and trauma damper. Pistols of 6, assault rifles and rifles of 5, SMG of 4, and edged weapons of 6. Athletics of 3 and Stealth of 4.

Mage - Level 10 shamanic initiate, following the goddess Ishtar (deity of love and war). Sorcery finally up to rating 8, enchanting 7, conjuring 6 and spell design 5. Has picked up pretty much every metamagic talent through either initiation or learning. Has shed all current geas through magic loss, but still has focus additiction. Rating 4 and 8 weapon focus. Also has a rating 12 weapon focus bastard sword that is also an ally spirit rating 6. A rating 6 power focus, rating 6 shield focus, rating 6 manipulation focus, a few spell locks and a few sustaining foci. Average force rating of spells is around 7 or 8.

Al cyberware is delta grade, implanted here and there over a large ammount of time. Bioware was also implanted slowly and is all cultured.
Jason Farlander
Too bad he's not an adept, and too bad he's not a starting character. Otherwise... in the immortal words on keanu reeves: "Woah."
toturi
Start with magical path(mage, assumed to be hermetic) adept>> mage and adept

Get implants(smartlinks and datajack and eye stuff)>> Sam

Decker(since have datajack already can just add a deck and skills)

Rigger(just add vehicle, a rigger doesn't need a VCR to rig smile.gif )
Reaver
QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
Too bad he's not an adept, and too bad he's not a starting character. Otherwise... in the immortal words on keanu reeves: "Woah."

The only way to have BOTH a mage AND an adept would be to do a physical mage. Such mages are highly difficult to cyber... especially right out of the gate. And he never said anything about starting characters. wink.gif
Jason Farlander
He *did* say "make and post" as opposed to "make, play across 3 editions until you have a godlike character, and then post." as well as "they do have to fulfill all the roles"
Lilt
Actually: Isn't Adept an equivalent term for any aspected character? IE: You get Conjuring / Sorcery Adepts so wouldn't a hermetic conjuring adept count as an MageAdept?

Aside from that the Path of the Magician is about the best choice with the best grade of VCR1, Datajack, and Smartlink you can fit into 2 essence (you'll need some betaware or better in there).
Lilt
I'd like in but I'd like to know what chargen rules are being used. 123BP? Becks XYZ? Priorities? Is Beta/Cultured ware available? What rating/Availability is allowable?

Also: What, specifically, do characters have to achieve to be counted as a Sammie? Do they need to have 0.01 essence or (as I'm assuming) be good in general combat and have a smartlink? Are Sorcerery/Conjuring/Totemic/Elemental Adepts considered Adepts or do you have to be a Physical Adept?
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (toturi)
Rigger(just add vehicle, a rigger doesn't need a VCR to rig smile.gif )

Um, yes he does. A vehicle control rig. Neither datajack control, nor "pilot's chair" mode are true rigging. They're similar, which is why they're found in the Rigger book (what, you want them in MitS?) But I maintain that you're not Rigging unless you're "jumping into" the vehicle.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Yeah. I bet Kagetenshi and BlackSmith have been building those killer characters for just this purpose.

Right now I'm building a killer essay that was due two days ago, but I'll get on the characters right after that smile.gif

~J
Grey
QUOTE (Reaver)
Ok. This one has been a long time in the making and started all the way back in 1st ed.
----------------
Reaver

Rigger - Well, not yet, but does have the essence to afford a level 1 VCR if and when he wants to shell out the major nuyen for a delta grade version and the skilled surgeon. Does have a few nice cars already and an old SPECAT International Jaguar fighter. Does have a datajack and all his vehicles have a datajack port.

Decker - Has an implanted Math SPU (3) and Encephalon (2). Has a highly modified Trans-Berry NeuroSys cyberdeck that he picked up from a published adventure (Imago I think). MPCP 13 (running of 12 since it uses a reality filter) and most programs are at an average of 6. Computer skill is only a 4, with a B/R of 2. Decking is more of a past time/hobby than a full fledged skill.

Samurai - Has dual smartgun rig, a single cybereye (which he lost in a fight with a bug shaman) and a rating 6 implanted radio (w/ commlink 4, crypto-circuit 8, scramble breaker 6 and a cybercomm link). Skillwire 6 (300Mp) for backup esoteric skills. Also has muscle augmentation and muscle toner, enhanced articulation, synthacardium and trauma damper. Pistols of 6, assault rifles and rifles of 5, SMG of 4, and edged weapons of 6. Athletics of 3 and Stealth of 4.

Mage - Level 10 shamanic initiate, following the goddess Ishtar (deity of love and war). Sorcery finally up to rating 8, enchanting 7, conjuring 6 and spell design 5. Has picked up pretty much every metamagic talent through either initiation or learning. Has shed all current geas through magic loss, but still has focus additiction. Rating 4 and 8 weapon focus. Also has a rating 12 weapon focus bastard sword that is also an ally spirit rating 6. A rating 6 power focus, rating 6 shield focus, rating 6 manipulation focus, a few spell locks and a few sustaining foci. Average force rating of spells is around 7 or 8.

Al cyberware is delta grade, implanted here and there over a large ammount of time. Bioware was also implanted slowly and is all cultured.

Man, when I read shit like that, I remember why I'm so picky about who I play with. That character is just freakin' lame and rediculous.
Reaver
QUOTE (Grey)

Man, when I read shit like that, I remember why I'm so picky about who I play with. That character is just freakin' lame and rediculous.

That character has been played since 1st ed. Do you have any characters you've played with for that long? Frankly I find your tone insulting and uncalled for.
boodah
QUOTE (Grey)

ah, a realist. its too bad you diddnt stay as a child when you gained experience and age.
Grey
Eventually characters get to a point where they can retire. Ask yourself this... You were a shadowrunner, risking your life day in, day out, just so some Johnson will pay you a bit of money, but then again, he may just stab you in the back. Eventually, you get the "big score" and have enough to buy a permanent high lifestyle. Do you keep risking your life for people who don't give a damn about you, or do you life the easy life?
Kagetenshi
Depends what you're running for.
Even amongst those who don't have ideals they fight for or revenge to seek, some people just forget how to live any other way.

~J
Reaver
QUOTE (Grey)
Eventually characters get to a point where they can retire. Ask yourself this... You were a shadowrunner, risking your life day in, day out, just so some Johnson will pay you a bit of money, but then again, he may just stab you in the back. Eventually, you get the "big score" and have enough to buy a permanent high lifestyle. Do you keep risking your life for people who don't give a damn about you, or do you life the easy life?

Depends on the person and thier goals. At that level, maybe you just become more like a Johnson, personally hiring a team to accomplish to goal and personally making sure its completed. Every character has different outlooks and goals. Then there are some who are just addicted to the action. wink.gif
boodah
then again, some people want to get out of the house and away from the kids.
wink.gif

eh reav?
Reaver
QUOTE (boodah)
then again, some people want to get out of the house and away from the kids.
wink.gif

eh reav?

Shhh, you ever say that in front of the wife and I'll kill you before she kills me. wink.gif biggrin.gif
boodah
lmfao!!
Reaver
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Depends what you're running for.
Even amongst those who don't have ideals they fight for or revenge to seek, some people just forget how to live any other way.

~J

That's very true as well. Some soldiers get out of the military and go into something like the police force.
boodah
thrill seekers. daredevils. anarchists. the list goes on and on.
Moonstone Spider
Heh, I've been working on a design for a character who wants to be a rigger and was pissed to discover he couldn't implant any cyberware in himself.

He uses a combination of mental manipulation and detection spells to control animals and borrow their senses to perform "Biological Rigging."
Reaver
QUOTE (Moonstone Spider)
Heh, I've been working on a design for a character who wants to be a rigger and was pissed to discover he couldn't implant any cyberware in himself.

He uses a combination of mental manipulation and detection spells to control animals and borrow their senses to perform "Biological Rigging."

That is a sweet idea. I'd love to see what you develop Moonstone. smile.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Lilt)
Are Sorcerery/Conjuring/Totemic/Elemental Adepts considered Adepts or do you have to be a Physical Adept?

Although these used to be Adepts in SR1 and 2, they're no longer termed Adepts in SR3. Instead they are classified as Aspected Mages.
toturi
QUOTE (Grey)

As a counter argument, why the hell didn't you take that 1mil:nuyen: and get yourself a permanent lifestyle then?

Start the game in the easy life and retire straight off the blocks.
Solstice
QUOTE (Reaver)
----------------
Reaver

bwahawhah
Derek
Hmmm, I had a starting character that is an ork combat decker houngan of Legba.

He was decent in a fight, could hold his own with a deck, and of course, the houngan part satisfies the mage.

Pretty charismatic, also, for an ork, as his main spiritual function was summoning and banishing, requireing high charisma. This, in turn, allowed him decent negotiation and intimidation skills. So, he had some skills as a face, and some of the contacts thereof.

No rigging abilities whatsoever, nor any desire to get some. But, hey, in reality, there really is no way for a starting character to do everything well, and even Louie (the orks name) was stretched rather thin as a combat decker/houngan/face.

Of course, any character, given enough karma and resources, can do everything well, which is not really realistic. How often, in the real world, do you find people that are masters of everything, even after years of experience? The karma rules for SR, while decent, break down at the higher ends.

Just my thoughts
Derek
Digital Heroin
Frankly, just the fact that people are actually trying to fullfill the title's requirements makes me feel dumber.
Herald of Verjigorm
I made one of these once for a failed ganger campaign. I think I burnt the records.
simonw2000
I'm taking the mick out of the points system with this hot decker. And he is canon!
Solstice
Reaver you would fit right in with my group man. The adept has a power foci 5 katana and has 6 conceal. He also has an artifact that contains a demon and acts as a power foci 9 or some such bull shit.

The sam has what they call "Gamma" ware. It uses half the essense of Delta and he got it for free. A corp is using him as a guinea pig. Seems odd how there is no adverse effects in the past few years, really odd since it's the DMs char.

in other words...it's fucking broken
moosegod
QUOTE (Digital Heroin)
Frankly, just the fact that people are actually trying to fullfill the title's requirements makes me feel dumber.

My plan is working!

Haha!
Reaver
QUOTE (Solstice @ Feb 5 2004, 08:49 PM)
Reaver you would fit right in with my group man. The adept has a power foci 5 katana and has 6 conceal. He also has an artifact that contains a demon and acts as a power foci 9 or some such bull shit.

The sam has what they call "Gamma" ware. It uses half the essense of Delta and he got it for free. A corp is using him as a guinea pig. Seems odd how there is no adverse effects in the past few years, really odd since it's the DMs char.

in other words...it's fucking broken

Well, mine isn't broken. Granted, like probably any character, he's been with different house rules, but he's been played since 1st ed. SR. And none of those house rules I would call excessively broken. Hence the reason he's at the rank he is. He's no different from Fastjack, Captain Chaos or Hachetman... although any of those three in thier element would probably eat mine for lunch and then ask for a snack. Reaver as a character is mostly a jack of all trades and just a decent master at magic.

So he's not what I would call 'broken' and he had to start from the ground up. He had to be a piss ant little mage watching the 'sam and the physad kill everything before he could say hello (especially in 1st. ed). He's got a past that runs all the way from 2050 in game time and all the way from (when did 1st ed. come out? 1995?). He also ended up on NERPS thanks to my freind Eric (Reaver) When you put that kind of hard work into a character, you'd still like to run him from time to time. Retirement is for wimps and commies. wink.gif
Grey
QUOTE (Reaver)
Well, mine isn't broken.

indifferent.gif sarcastic.gif indifferent.gif eek.gif indifferent.gif rotfl.gif indifferent.gif ohplease.gif
Reaver
QUOTE (Grey @ Feb 6 2004, 12:59 AM)
QUOTE (Reaver)
Well, mine isn't broken.

indifferent.gif sarcastic.gif indifferent.gif eek.gif indifferent.gif rotfl.gif indifferent.gif ohplease.gif

Well Grey, what do you consider not broken. A character you only play a few times and never put any work into and never see any improvement over time? ohplease.gif
Modesitt
I'm actually genuinely working on creating something like what the title asks for. I'm having to review the magic rules and such, so it could be a few days. But the quick pointers in my design and for anyone else thinking about this.

1. Robots. You can get by without any vehicle skills whatsoever as a Rigger or even a VCR if you make all of your vehicles good robots. It's very possible to start with a Rating 4 robot or maybe 5 if you put it on a chasis with a design point multiplier (0.25-0.35).

2. Agents. Programs all come with the source code unless you state otherwise(Pg. 94 Matrix 3, left column, 8th paragraph). Agents do not take up memory after you run them. They can load attack programs. You can burn copys of a program you own the source to to OMCs. Therefore, the amount of Agents you have on a run with you is limited primairily to how many days of downtime you have.

3. Spells. More than a few spells aren't more effective at higher forces.

4. Sustaining foci are your friends.

5. Be a shaman. You will most likely be hurting for skills and attributes, being a shaman gives you some more dice on magic tests. Snake is a good one from the BBB, you shouldn't be casting spells in combat anyways as this concept.

6. Build points. It takes 30 points to have an A in Resources. It takes 30 points to have an A in Magic. It takes 20 points to have a B in Resources. It takes 25 points to have a B in Magic. It takes 60 points to have an A in Attributes. It takes 50 points to have a B in Skills.

Meditate on these things.
Reaver
QUOTE (Modesitt)
I'm actually genuinely working on creating something like what the title asks for. I'm having to review the magic rules and such, so it could be a few days. But the quick pointers in my design and for anyone else thinking about this.

1. Robots. You can get by without any vehicle skills whatsoever as a Rigger or even a VCR if you make all of your vehicles good robots. It's very possible to start with a Rating 4 robot or maybe 5 if you put it on a chasis with a design point multiplier (0.25-0.35).

2. Agents. Programs all come with the source code unless you state otherwise(Pg. 94 Matrix 3, left column, 8th paragraph). Agents do not take up memory after you run them. They can load attack programs. You can burn copys of a program you own the source to to OMCs. Therefore, the amount of Agents you have on a run with you is limited primairily to how many days of downtime you have.

3. Spells. More than a few spells aren't more effective at higher forces.

4. Sustaining foci are your friends.

5. Be a shaman. You will most likely be hurting for skills and attributes, being a shaman gives you some more dice on magic tests. Snake is a good one from the BBB, you shouldn't be casting spells in combat anyways as this concept.

6. Build points. It takes 30 points to have an A in Resources. It takes 30 points to have an A in Magic. It takes 20 points to have a B in Resources. It takes 25 points to have a B in Magic. It takes 60 points to have an A in Attributes. It takes 50 points to have a B in Skills.

Meditate on these things.

From actual experience, you've got to do it slowly. Delta grade cyberware is the only way to do it, and you probably won't start out with that immediately. Knocking down your magic with anything less is a waste. It also takes a lot of cash to have someone who is everything.

The programming idea is a good plan thou. Never thought of that.

While a shaman path can be a good start, you don't really need to go that route. Over time, a hermetic will be just as powerful. A phys ad could be potent too, but it seems a waste to put implants into a phys ad. An aspected mage wouldn't be a bad path to choose either.
Fortune
QUOTE (Reaver)
when did 1st ed. come out? 1995?

1989! SR2 was released in '92, and SR3 in '98 (IIRC).

If you started playing him in '95, you'd have had to be using old rules to start with to have had the character 'since 1st ed SR'. smile.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Reaver @ Feb 6 2004, 12:40 PM)
Delta grade cyberware is the only way to do it, and you probably won't start out with that immediately.  Knocking down your magic with anything less is a waste.

In my opinion, Delta is highly over-rated. The cost increase is not worth the piddly little Essence benefit involved over the more viable Betaware.
moosegod
Oh, Beatware. It's good stuff.

SMACKITY-SMACKITY-SMACK!!! wink.gif
Fortune
Sue me! I was in a hurry and didn't notice. nyahnyah.gif
Kagetenshi
You'll receive word from my lawyers in the morning.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012