Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Same System, Different Setting
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Vittek
I've not even played shadowrun yet, but I'm already thinking of ways to spice up my games with different settings, that would benefit from the flavour that the shadowrun system gives. A couple of examples:

- Contantine/Hellblazer. The Occult Investigator brings Constantine to mind almost immediately, so why don't we eliminate some tech and some magic, and kepp a world a little more like our own in respect to that of Shadowrun, but then we have magic and demons and so on?

- Final Fantasy VII: The system seems suited to play SeeDs, magic mercenaries trained in special places called Gardens, and then sent to contractors to carry out contracts, missions and so on. When I say magic mercenaries I mean that all of them can fight in melee, with ranged weapons, and can cast spells and summon spirits (Guardian Forces, actually). I could even see them added to the normal Shadowrun setting, as the best and more costly mercenaries in the world, hiring three of them could lower the Gross Domestic Income of a little country by a few points. They are obviously supplied only from one single company, that has no problem in supplying both sides of a conflict.

So, what do you think? Are these combinations possible? Do you have any of your own?
Mercer
For my money, the basic SR3 mechanic would make for a hell of a Wild West game. Guns are deadly, wounds are brutal, the Reaction test makes a great quick draw mechanic, and the system is balanced well at the lower end as well as the upper end of human maximums. (Part of this was the idea of running variant campaigns in which the awakening happened a hundred years earlier, so the first was 1911 with the game taking place in WWII, the second would be 1811, with the game taking place in the 1880's and so on.)

Also, SR has always had everything you need to for Star Wars too. All the force powers have phys ad powers or spell equivalents, and wookies can be trolls, there's even soul-sucking cyberware rules. Dark Jedi up, biatch!

TeOdio
I agree on the Star Wars (but for over the top action Feng Shui works better). But the SR system can be scaled to any Scifi or fantasy setting. I've thought of doing a "modern occult
one off with it. I've also done some various resonance and metaplaner quests with the regular rule set and those worked well simming different genres like 1950's cold war espionage and high fantasy.
BlueMax
I know that Catalyst has a made a big joke of it but we used to Play MechWarrior using Shadowrun 2nd Edition. It was very easy to accomplish and [BIG STRETCH] VCRs were later made EI in Battletech.

BlueMax
Nifar
I once played in a game that was based on the little section of Gaia Online that me and my friends used to hang out in. Considering what Gaia's roleplaying area is like (the good, coherent parts), it wasn't that big of a leap.

Also, The Khorne-cult gang of cybered punks is now a running joke in our SR games, despite the lack of any other Warhammer influences.
kigmatzomat
I ran Mage (White Wolf) using SR2's system back in the 90s. Funny enough, my adaptation of the magic system is almost identical to the nWoD Mage approach.

SR4 adapts better IMO than prior editions. It really only lacks a mounted combat mechanic and it would be suitable for just about anything.
Platinum
I have spent time working on a few different genre adaptations.

Post-apoc wasteland / wild west
Did a bit of a rift twist with power armour
Work on some steam punk/mecha projects.
Did some teenage mutant ninja turtles/ island of Dr Moreaux variations
crash2029
Actually the SeeD magic mercs were from FFVIII. And I agree that the SR4 system could make a pretty cool FFVIII game.

Galbadia rules!
Ghremdal
I was thinking that without too much work you could easily adapt the Shadowrun mechanics so you can emulate a tabletop Fallout or Mass Effect game.

I really like the SR mechanic system (4th ED) and am trying to fit some parts of it into, how do you guys say, "the game that causes cancer?"? So far without much luck.
Semerkhet
Same System, Different Setting, What would you play with Shadowrun's system?

Opposite for me, frankly. Always been a bigger fan of the setting than the rule set. Too much work to port SR to another rules system, though.
Ascalaphus
I've been gradually adapting V:tM combat rules to SR4 systems, because oWoD has a bit too much randomness in it for my taste. Particularly 7+ to hit successes that turn into 1- damage successes.
WyldKnight
We used SR4 for a home brew fantasy/Steam punk setting. It was pretty damn fun and we were able to keep most of the archetypes intact. Yes even the hacker. Though it was something completely different in the setting the spirit was the same.
Snow_Fox
1st or 2nd ed AD&D- the idea of running Vault of the Drow with a mini-gun or MP-5 just tickles me pink.
Fuchs
Outlaw Star - Space Opera anime with cybernetics and magic - perfect fit.
Rotbart van Dainig
Eclipse Phase.
Semerkhet
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Dec 4 2009, 05:04 AM) *
Eclipse Phase.

Not a big fan of the d100 mechanic? I've only read and not played, so I can't say how the EP rules work in practice.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Semerkhet @ Dec 4 2009, 06:30 PM) *
Not a big fan of the d100 mechanic?

Yeah, I had my share of D100 systems...
The Dragon Girl
the world the Shanara series is based on always struck me as something that could be played using shadowrun stuff.. though I haven't read it in years.
crash2029
I agree about fallout. I also think an Elder Scrolls based game could be fun. Heck even a Dr. Who based game could be interesting. With some tweaking I think the SR rules are robust enough to be molded to most settings.
Roadspike
I've run two World War Z campaigns using SR3. All I had to do was restrict chargen a bit and create some rules for Zeds. Easy Peasy. And rather deadly with very little armor and a single Light wound carrying a chance of infection.
secondrate
What would I play with the Shadowrun ruleset?

Shadowrun! grinbig.gif

All joking aside, something based on the Fallout setting, post-apocalyptic wasteland in perpetual anarchy, small bastions of civilization struggling to get by...with all probability perfect for someone just trying to make a little nuyen.gif.
WyldKnight
An apocalyptic SR4 game would be really fun. Background counts everywhere, toxic mages/spirits all over the place, your cyber would breakdown, and hackers wouldn't be as useful. Actually let me correct that. A mundane hacker would be ok. A TM on the other hand wouldn't be flexible enough. Most runners would probably be people tasked with recovering lost tech for the masses. It would basically be SR + Fallout. I want to play in a game like that now.
secondrate
CURSE YOU!!!

You have given me imaginings! Now I won't be able to sleep!
Platinum
QUOTE (secondrate @ Dec 4 2009, 09:21 PM) *
What would I play with the Shadowrun ruleset?

Shadowrun! grinbig.gif

All joking aside, something based on the Fallout setting, post-apocalyptic wasteland in perpetual anarchy, small bastions of civilization struggling to get by...with all probability perfect for someone just trying to make a little nuyen.gif.

We are in the process of ramping up a post-apoc shadowrun campaign using google wave. I am the most excited about playing in this genre. Scavaging and B/R skills are so critical.
WyldKnight
QUOTE (secondrate @ Dec 4 2009, 07:27 PM) *
CURSE YOU!!!

You have given me imaginings! Now I won't be able to sleep!

Hey on the bright side you may have more interesting dreams. The idea of playing it on wave sounds really cool. I didnt know it open to the public yet. But did anyone else think of a cybered up troll using the mirv to obliterate a cyberzombie?
Neraph
1) Remove all magic, cyberware, bioware, and weapons.

2) Sprinkle a huge amount of free spirits broken into different categories that look the same and share the same abilities throughout the entire world.

3) Have Wards set up on objects that can only hold one spirit (in its astral form) inside, and force said free spirits into them when they come into contact with an empty Ward-object. For the sake of this conversation, form them into baseball sized spheres. When the free spirit gets sucked into the Ward-ball, he has one CT (3 IP) to escape. If he fails to escape the Ward, he now is considered Bound to the owner of the Ward-ball. Note that wound penalties apply to this Test.

4) Allow the Animal Handling, Animal Training, and VetTech rules apply to the free spirits.

5) When the free spirits get disrupted, they either A) disappear as normal, or, if they are Bound to someone via a Ward-ball, they B) consider the Ward-ball their native metaplane, being sent back there until they recover. Suspend the 28 - Force days restriction on disrupted spirits being allowed back, as well as the mechanic for spirits losing points of their attributes.

6) Free spirit damage is always treated as Stun damage to non-spirits, and will never result in overflow into the Physical track.
secondrate
Dude...Pokemon? Seriously?
etherial
I have a friend who wrote a Pokemon Master Class for Nethack.
Rotbart van Dainig
That's probably something you should not mention.
Neraph
Pokemon, the first season of the show (including the first movie) and the gameboy games were freaking awsome. The rest of the series, not so much, and the additional hype created kinda watered down the actual strength of the series. Now when someone says "Pokemon" everyone thinks about raving young children singing off-key songs listing all the imaginitive monsters, and I personally blame the card game, the off-topic games (such as the photography one for N-64), and the rest of the shows/movies.
jgalak
Well, this may be blasphemy here, but I can't stand the SR rules. No way would I adapt anything to SR that had an even 1/2 decent ruleset of its own. I play/run SR because I love the setting enough that I'm willing to deal with the mechanics. I tried porting SR to GURPS once, but it was way too much work, and the result wasn't smooth enough to make it worthwhile. If I thought I could port SR to oWoD, I would, as that's the smoothest running system I've played (in terms of how fast combat is resolved, how few rules cover everything, and how intuitive it is).
Neraph
Heh, use D10s instead of D6s and you have WoD in Shadowrun. The problem I have with WoD is the lack of rules. You can easily go whole sessions with nothing but RP, including combat. D&D has too many rules - you can go whole sessions there debating the wording of a rule. Shadowrun has a perfect balance of rules and roleplay.
crash2029
QUOTE (jgalak @ Dec 7 2009, 04:07 PM) *
Well, this may be blasphemy here, but I can't stand the SR rules. No way would I adapt anything to SR that had an even 1/2 decent ruleset of its own. I play/run SR because I love the setting enough that I'm willing to deal with the mechanics. I tried porting SR to GURPS once, but it was way too much work, and the result wasn't smooth enough to make it worthwhile. If I thought I could port SR to oWoD, I would, as that's the smoothest running system I've played (in terms of how fast combat is resolved, how few rules cover everything, and how intuitive it is).

If you had mentioned d20 it would be pitchforks and torches time. As it is consider yourself thoroughly shunned. [/zealotry] wink.gif
Headshot_Joe
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 7 2009, 12:14 AM) *
1) Remove all magic, cyberware, bioware, and weapons.

2) Sprinkle a huge amount of free spirits broken into different categories that look the same and share the same abilities throughout the entire world.

3) Have Wards set up on objects that can only hold one spirit (in its astral form) inside, and force said free spirits into them when they come into contact with an empty Ward-object. For the sake of this conversation, form them into baseball sized spheres. When the free spirit gets sucked into the Ward-ball, he has one CT (3 IP) to escape. If he fails to escape the Ward, he now is considered Bound to the owner of the Ward-ball. Note that wound penalties apply to this Test.

4) Allow the Animal Handling, Animal Training, and VetTech rules apply to the free spirits.

5) When the free spirits get disrupted, they either A) disappear as normal, or, if they are Bound to someone via a Ward-ball, they B) consider the Ward-ball their native metaplane, being sent back there until they recover. Suspend the 28 - Force days restriction on disrupted spirits being allowed back, as well as the mechanic for spirits losing points of their attributes.

6) Free spirit damage is always treated as Stun damage to non-spirits, and will never result in overflow into the Physical track.

Don't forget that the rules for SURGE apply to free spirits, and that they specifically occur when the free spirits amass precise amounts of Karma, triggering SURGE to the next state of being. grinbig.gif

I'm thinking of making a Shadowrun campaign set to an alternate universe, where the awakening happens 150 years early, during the American Civil War. The game takes place sometime between 1913-1922, during what is the sixth world equivalent of WWI. I'm thinking a mix between steampunk and Crimson Skies; steam power, although it enjoyed huge popularity (far more than in the canon history line), is now starting to fade in favor of the internal combustion. Massive zeppelins rule the skies, but are becoming threatened by advancements in fixed-wing aircraft, spurring an arms race between zeppelin manufacturers and airplane makers (a la Crimson Skies), while on the ground trains and early automobiles are allowing man more mobility than ever before. At sea, great hulking ships tame the waves, and naval forces the world over are competing for dominance. America does not stand united, and an awakened Confederacy staunchly defends it's borders, funded by it's rich crops worked by clockwork drones. Slavery has ended as a result of the efficiency of machines, and the growing need for skilled operators. Slaves, who were before forbidden to attend any form of schooling, are now freed, and while they do not enjoy the same luxuries as the uppermost class, do earn a living and are entitled to the same education as any citizen. The emergence of metahumanity, especially orks and trolls, among the rich white slave owners more or less put an end to segregation, and the color of one's skin no longer became a dividing factor. Aside from border skirmishes, both halves of America are at a peaceful stalemate, neither side having the resources or manpower to conquer the other, but both attempting to get there. This has lead to a booming economy for both sides, and has established both the North and South as leading world superpowers, while the countries of Europe are battered after a prolonged war with little support from either the American Union, or the Confederacy. There is so much more to this idea, but I'd better not post it all here.
Nows7
A friend of mine wanted to play Dnd 4E in Ebberon... I wanted to play SR4e in Ebberon. Substitute the Dragon mark houses with the AAA, Trolls are now War-forged (or not), Artificers make cyberware, the Mournlands are a nasty mana-warp/void, Dragon mark give a magic of 1 with limited spells.

Seems a natural fit to me.
Mercer
QUOTE (Headshot_Joe @ Dec 8 2009, 01:51 AM) *
I'm thinking of making a Shadowrun campaign set to an alternate universe, where the awakening happens 150 years early, during the American Civil War. The game takes place sometime between 1913-1922, during what is the sixth world equivalent of WWI.

This reminds me of my Shadowrun 1942 mini-campaign.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Dec 7 2009, 11:32 AM) *
That's probably something you should not mention.

EV-er
Neraph
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Dec 9 2009, 09:56 PM) *
EV-er

Don't you mean Eevee-r?
WyldKnight
Neraph I freaking love you lol. I vote this must be played.
McCummhail
I have had an idea tumbling in my head recently that is influenced by non-SR cyberpunk.

There is cyber-ware, cyborgs, androids and potentially magic, but no metahumans.

The setting has 2-3 major metropolis domes on the planet of mars that are each owned by corporations.
The metropolis' habitat is both a horizontal and vertical sprawl (as space is severely limited). Stunted birth-rates on mars have kept the population within reason.

Outside of these domes things are very sparse, rugged and empty save for causeways and the occasional shelter. Terraforming experimentation bolstered the atmosphere slightly such that it is breathable, but still most people pass out without masks.

The corporations have a strong presence on Earth, but due to a strengthening of world government (or rather the establishment of an actual global governing body) they do not have free reign, extraterritorial rights, etc.
Shady business has to be kept shady or be taken off-world. The world government's prime minister, a Strong-willed feminist that resembles in other respects (conservative, pro-business, etc) at the head of a feminist party.

So many possibilities.
Jestercat
I've been running Pokemon under Emlia for about a year now. It's somewhat similar to Shadowrun (more of a cleaned-up stripped-down game with a similar basic mechanic) so I think it's definitely doable within the SR rules as well.
secondrate
I'm thinking maybe trying to convince my group to let me run a Ghostbusters themed SR game...but i suppose that you could go the whole way and completely adapt the rules...

Interesting.
Synner667
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 7 2009, 08:13 PM) *
Heh, use D10s instead of D6s and you have WoD in Shadowrun. The problem I have with WoD is the lack of rules. You can easily go whole sessions with nothing but RP, including combat. D&D has too many rules - you can go whole sessions there debating the wording of a rule. Shadowrun has a perfect balance of rules and roleplay.

Totally !!

The nWoD core, without the various settings [Vampire, Werewolf, mage] works well for most things...
Arawyn
I have run two games with SR4 in different settings.

1. Dresden Files (because the actual team working on the official Dresden RPG are turning into Dukem Nukem Forever)

2. SuperNaturals (SuperHero game in modern setting where "supers" are actually awakened or a supernatural creature.
Manunancy
QUOTE (WyldKnight @ Dec 5 2009, 04:24 AM) *
An apocalyptic SR4 game would be really fun. Background counts everywhere, toxic mages/spirits all over the place, your cyber would breakdown, and hackers wouldn't be as useful. Actually let me correct that. A mundane hacker would be ok. A TM on the other hand wouldn't be flexible enough. Most runners would probably be people tasked with recovering lost tech for the masses. It would basically be SR + Fallout. I want to play in a game like that now.

You can give it a try with the SOX campaign - thouhg I haven't checked if it has been translted from the french original.
Medicineman
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Dec 3 2009, 11:18 PM) *
1st or 2nd ed AD&D- the idea of running Vault of the Drow with a mini-gun or MP-5 just tickles me pink.

Maybe you should take a look a Dragonstar ?
( = D20 goes Star Wars without Jedis ,but with Dragons )
I'd like to Play Rifts with SR4 Rules. The World is totally fascinating ,but the Palladium Rules are Broken and unplayable (We tried it but only with lots of Houserules.Group got Killed (twice) in Atlantis)

HokaHey
Medicineman
Kovu Muphasa
I currently have 2 games I use DR4 rules for
Weird Gear Krieg [Wierd Wars mixed with Gear Krieg]
NEST-13 {Running this one Sence 98, this made Revenge of the Fallen so Funny} [Sy-Fy set in modern times from the Military PoV]

A freind of mine is working on a Tranformers Game
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012