Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help on a slight combo...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Sengir
QUOTE (Shrike30 @ Dec 6 2009, 09:44 PM) *
Ignoring the simple physical damage caused by the projectile, the compression and shock wave alone from a bullet passing through the brain or spinal column is enough to contuse or concuss the surrounding tissues to the point that the target isn't going to be doing too much in the next few minutes.

If the bullet actually passes through the brain at a reasonable speed you're extremely screwed with a high probability. The shockwave will push most tissue aside, but inside the skull there is nowhere the tissue can go so it will be flattened against the bone. Same as with artifical armour, as soon as it's penetrated it often does more harm than good.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Shrike30 @ Dec 6 2009, 01:44 PM) *
It's not uncommon for a round to hit the skull at a shallow angle and slide along it, rather than penetrating into it. That's kind of what the skull is supposed to do. That type of hit isn't a CNS hit, however, it's a flesh wound, or maybe a skull fracture. Being hit in the head != being hit in the brain. The defensive handgun instructors I learned from a while back taught that when you aim at the head, you're aiming at a box about 2" tall by 4" wide, which would bracket the eyes when you're looking straight at someone. That target box is always over the center of mass of the head, which will give you the best chance of a perpendicular impact, and so the best chance at the round punching through bone. Fairly significant portions of the head can be damaged without causing an immediately life-threatening injury, since they don't contain brain or the blood supply to your brain.

With this I agree... and that is exactly my point... I agree that not all head wounds will impact the CNS, and that head wounds are indeed less sever, in amny cases, than many people would imagine from what they have seen in the Movies...

Keep the Faith
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sengir @ Dec 6 2009, 02:46 PM) *
If the bullet actually passes through the brain at a reasonable speed you're extremely screwed with a high probability. The shockwave will push most tissue aside, but inside the skull there is nowhere the tissue can go so it will be flattened against the bone. Same as with artifical armour, as soon as it's penetrated it often does more harm than good.

This is very true... I was involved in an investigation on a military base where a Marine was shot by a .45 handgun. He was wearing a bullet proof vest at the time... the bullet entered into the left side of the torso through the upper arm and between the plates of his armor... he had a total of 6 holes in his chest cavity (and 2 in each arm)... the bullet passed through the front and back of his chest twice and impacted on the armor... the round could not penetrate the armor so it rebounded back into the chest cavity, it eventuall exited out the right side of his torso and through his right arm and embedded in the door of the vehicle... had he not been wearing armor, he probably would have survived the incident; as it was both his lungs, his heart and several other organs were esentially shredded... there was no way to save him...

Anyways...

Keep the Faith...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012