Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What edition do you use? and why?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
HANZO
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 25 2009, 01:49 PM) *
i think you missed the time when the mods had to ask to tone the fighting between us 3ers and the 4ers down . .

I was really just complimenting every one on keeping the thread civil so far. Im pretty new posting wise and even a fairly new lurker. Just though it should be pointed out that every one was keeping on the cool.
ker'ion
I use 4th edition.
Mainly because I'm new to the setup.

We play a lot of White Wolf and I mugged SR-4E, transfering everything over to d10s.
1 is a glitch.
7, 8, 9 and 10 is a hit.
Because glitching is harder, the number of 1s required for a glitch is a third of your pool instead of half.

Rush jobs raise the botch limit to (factor of time you are rushing by). Half time puts it at 1 or two, a third time adds 3 to the botch list, quadruple speed makes botches 1-4, etc.

My players liked it and I considered it easier on my pocketbook and theirs, as we already have a near-obscene amount of 10 sided dice.

Then I went and lost the plotline after one of my players walked out on the game.
And now they're stuck on sarcastic.gif Exalted sarcastic.gif .
I hates it!
Cardul
I run 4th Edition because...it is the current, supported edition, and I am not having to play catch-up on getting books.
Of course, since it is the supported edition, that also means that my FLGS can get it in. Additionally, while
the system has the complexity of previous editions, it is a simpler system to learn the basics of.
kossori
QUOTE (Cardul @ Dec 27 2009, 03:03 AM) *
I run 4th Edition because...it is the current, supported edition, and I am not having to play catch-up on getting books.
Of course, since it is the supported edition, that also means that my FLGS can get it in. Additionally, while
the system has the complexity of previous editions, it is a simpler system to learn the basics of.

That was one of the main reasons I finally gave in and got 4th edition. I skipped 3rd entirely but realized that unless a game is D&D it runs the risk of being abandoned at some point where it becomes non-profitable.

Fortunately, Shadowrun has a very unique setting. The advantage is that it's hard to copy without being too obvious (D20 Modern tried and may have succeeded at being a worthy successor). Generally, if you have cyberpunk elements with magic... It's Shadowrun-esque. Throw in elves and dwarfs... it's a copy.

I decided to go with 4th edition to help support it. May go back and get a few older books from 1st thru 3rd to help flesh it out, though. My fave resource is Sprawl Sites (a book I borrowed from a friend's brother, oh, yeeeears ago...).
Bira
I use GURPS, with the SR4 setting. Works better than the original rules, in my experience - GURPS is what SR wants to be when it grows up.
Medicineman
QUOTE (Bira @ Dec 31 2009, 11:46 PM) *
I use GURPS, with the SR4 setting. Works better than the original rules, in my experience - GURPS is what SR wants to be when it grows up.

I tried that once ,because I'm also a GURPs Fan, but I couldn't manage to transorm/convert the Astralspace and the Spirits (especially with their domain restrainsts ) or mages travelling astrally.
I'm still using alot of GURPS Dis & Advantages for SR4A smile.gif
Don't you think that GURPS is too deadly specially with automatic Weapons.We gave up playing GURPS in Settings with higher Technology than WW I or the "roaring 20' Chicago/Cthulhu

witgh a general & universal Dance
Medicineman
Bira
There's been some talk about this conversion over on the Steve Jackson Games forums. Personally, I modeled astral projection as a heavily limited Jumper (World) advantage (I'm using GURPS 4th edition, by the way) that costs 20 points, and astral perception as a custom 10-point advantage that allows you to use your astral senses but makes you dual-natured while active. All the other stuff (i.e, the high astral speeds, being invisible to purely physical entities) I left as characteristics of the astral plane itself. I've used the standard GURPS spell system for the rest.

GURPS combat is indeed deadly, but I don't consider that a problem. It just means the characters have to be more careful, since all the praise people used to heap on the SR's system supposed lethality is actually true here smile.gif.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012