Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Northern Gateway: smuggling, hunting
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Karoline
QUOTE (Critias @ Jul 2 2010, 01:53 AM) *
Just bought a motorcycle today. If that doesn't make me wanna run my driver, I dunno what will!

Buying a small cargo airplane to transport illicit goods throughout Canada?
Critias
That'd require flying into Canada, though. Blech. wink.gif
Dr.Rockso
Acutally, before I end up making a char...what do we need? Plenty of ideas, but some direction would help me narrow it down. I see we are short a mage. Should I make one, or something else?
Karoline
Given that awakened critters are likely to be a big part of things, someone that can handle the astral and/or counterspelling would likely be very useful. I think we're good on 'gun bunnies' and I don't think hacking will come up a ton in the wilderness. We have a smuggler/driver type, and I think we have a face somewhere too, though I could be wrong about that one.
Dr.Rockso
Yeah, I think foxx had the face covered. Also, i think it's 'gun kitties' in this case silly.gif I was thinking of a phys ad, but then we lack the counter spelling...I'll try to work him into a mystic adept, but if that doesn't work out I'll go full mage.
pbangarth
OK, I'm sort of settled (dial-up.. blecchh... 2 km of pristine beach.. yeah!). I'll see what I can stir up in the next day or so.
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jul 18 2010, 11:20 PM) *
OK, I'm sort of settled (dial-up.. blecchh... 2 km of pristine beach.. yeah!). I'll see what I can stir up in the next day or so.

Sounds nice. I'll have something for you to look at soon, character wise. Had less time than I thought, and I've never played a mage before so I'm going slowly.
Karoline
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Jul 20 2010, 11:46 AM) *
Sounds nice. I'll have something for you to look at soon, character wise. Had less time than I thought, and I've never played a mage before so I'm going slowly.

If you want you can PM me your sheet and I can run over it real quick. I'm generally fairly good at knocking kinks out of characters.
Dr.Rockso
Question to the GM: Did you ever end up ruling on the in-debt issue? Was considering taking it as a flaw.
pbangarth
Go ahead with the In Debt flaw if you like. Understand that I see flaws as fun ways to toy with the PCs, and serious ones can inhibit their chances in certain circumstances. This bunch has hardly begun, so I haven't had the chance... yet... to toy with them.
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Aug 19 2010, 12:18 PM) *
Go ahead with the In Debt flaw if you like. Understand that I see flaws as fun ways to toy with the PCs, and serious ones can inhibit their chances in certain circumstances. This bunch has hardly begun, so I haven't had the chance... yet... to toy with them.

I would expect nothing less vegm.gif But i was specifically referencing the "buy off with karma or buy off with money or both" issue from much earlier in the thread. Sorry, should have been more clear.
pbangarth
I would prefer to see a debt paid off with money, but there may be ways in which role playing allows for karma to be used. I would have to consider the latter option at the time you wanted to try it.

Sufficently vague?
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Aug 19 2010, 12:45 PM) *
I would prefer to see a debt paid off with money, but there may be ways in which role playing allows for karma to be used. I would have to consider the latter option at the time you wanted to try it.

Sufficently vague?

Clear as mud nyahnyah.gif

Some people advocate not only paying off the sum owed(+ interest, of course) but requiring the player to spend the quality's value in karma to buy off the quality as well. For example at 5BP I would have to pay back 5k nuyen.gif + interest and 10 karma to buy off the quality. Do you lean towards that point of view, or just shelling out the cash owed and being done with it?
pbangarth
To me, the BP award at the beginning is a balance to the fact that you have to pay off a debt at an exorbitant rate of interest, and therefore are shortchanged, in the beginning anyway, in your attempts to gear up during play. That shortness of cash will set you back for the rest of game play, so I don't see why I should make you the player pay twice for the Negative Quality. So, if you can pay off the debt, with interest, I think the Negative Quality goes away.

Now, circumstances may allow for the debt to disappear some other way, but paying it off is far and away the most likely method for doing so.
Dr.Rockso
Groovy, hoping your were leaning that way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012