Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Northern Gateway: smuggling, hunting
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Karoline
R6 is the max a program can even be baring special GM ultra type programs (Or depending on who you ask anyone with a commlink and a few ranks of software). Either way you certainly can't get above rating 6 armor program.

My character is nearly done, and has undergone several rather large shifts. Working on equipment right now and have the major expenses (ware) done, so just the incidentals left. I wonder how big of a disadvantage I'll be at with only 1 IP.

I've got something like 160ish points in skills ATM, though that is in flux a bit.

Oh, and I wanted to ask; How difficult is it going to be to halt regeneration via the 'damage to brain or spinal cord' rule? I've heard everything from it is nearly impossible to enact (my take) to it can be done with as little as a -1 DP and alot in-between. There is a rather long thread on it in the main forums, but I don't recall which one it is. Has been quiet for a while.

The reason I think it should be nearly impossible to do is that it indicates brain damage which means that it couldn't really be healed by any means at all which means if you make it easy, all runners should be brain damaged after their first or second run. Instead the rules are that you can heal back from basically the brink of death a couple weeks of bed rest, which means that even a 'headshot' doesn't necessarily damage the brain.
Foxx
Opps about the ID and liscense. Going to fix that and going over my point spread. Send you a revised character sheet afterwards.
ravensoracle
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Dec 29 2009, 04:43 PM) *
JD/Ranch Hand: Ravensoracle, your breakdown of BP actually does add to 400, but you have Qualities listed as -30 BP when they should be -25 BP. Having said that, it appears to me that you have allocated 150 BP to Skills but have only spent 142 BP. Another "relevant language" might be a NAN language. No one has Japanese or Spanish or Nahuatl. Just some ideas. Please pick an area to which your Local Geography Knowledge Skill applies. You have a R10 Armor program. I believe R6 is the max at chargen. Can you give a more specific location for your home? You didn't answer the question about JD's curiosity. I'm curious.

I realized I miscounted on the skills when I was playing around and changed the skill set during creation. I'll figure out what to add tonight. My question about the language that I forgot to ask is what language would be prevalent in the A-MC? Local Geography applies to the wilderness areas around where the game is focused. JD has spent a lot of time over the last few years getting to know the backwoods. He often works as a legit guide.

Armor is not the program but the armored casing option for the commlink.

The best specifics I can give for the location JD's place is that I posted it on the map i made a few posts back.

I'll double check my questionaire and fill that part out.

Trigger
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Dec 29 2009, 06:43 PM) *
Old Wolf: Trigger, It appears as if you have allocated 420 BP for Old Wolf. Also, you allocated 130 BP for Skills, but only spent 126 BP. I'm curious, why is Alan Ryman not a contact?

Sorry, I some of my math wrong so I had to go back and rework some of the numbers (getting rid of the Restricted Gear quality, dropping the Power Focus to Force 2, and changing the Weapon Focus to Force 1). Below is the reworked sheet.

As for Alan Ryman not being a contact, I didn't get to it in the background questions, but I guess it would be that Wolf (as he was known then) and Alan had a falling out when Wolf left the eco-group for the shadows. Alan was part of that world and Wolf was now part of another, so they cut their Master/ Apprentice ties and went separate ways. That isn't to say that they are now unfriendly with each other, as they do both in fact still consider each other friends, it is just that Wolf won't call up Alan for help anymore. Calling Alan for help would be like admitting he is still the apprentice to the man he left behind almost twenty years ago. (Also, if I had the extra points for it, I might use them to add to Old Wolf's contacts, but I just don't have them right now.)

[ Spoiler ]
pbangarth
QUOTE (Karoline @ Dec 29 2009, 08:36 PM) *
R6 is the max a program can even be baring special GM ultra type programs (Or depending on who you ask anyone with a commlink and a few ranks of software). Either way you certainly can't get above rating 6 armor program.

My character is nearly done, and has undergone several rather large shifts. Working on equipment right now and have the major expenses (ware) done, so just the incidentals left. I wonder how big of a disadvantage I'll be at with only 1 IP.
As Lao Tsu tells us, the greatest general wins without fighting at all.

Oh, and I wanted to ask; How difficult is it going to be to halt regeneration via the 'damage to brain or spinal cord' rule? I've heard everything from it is nearly impossible to enact (my take) to it can be done with as little as a -1 DP and alot in-between. There is a rather long thread on it in the main forums, but I don't recall which one it is. Has been quiet for a while.

The reason I think it should be nearly impossible to do is that it indicates brain damage which means that it couldn't really be healed by any means at all which means if you make it easy, all runners should be brain damaged after their first or second run. Instead the rules are that you can heal back from basically the brink of death a couple weeks of bed rest, which means that even a 'headshot' doesn't necessarily damage the brain.
It would have to be some kind of called shot, I think. Let me think about what kind of called shot it would be. It would have to be no less than the standard -4 DP.

Yes it would be difficult, but not impossible. On the other hand, the 'first or second run' thing is overstating it, I think. Many warriors throughout the ages went through years of battle without a brain or spinal injury.
Karoline
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Dec 30 2009, 01:17 AM) *
On the other hand, the 'first or second run' thing is overstating it, I think. Many warriors throughout the ages went through years of battle without a brain or spinal injury.

Right, which was my point as to why it would be near impossible or very difficult at least. Brain/spinal damage from attacks that don't kill you, or at the very least put you in a critical condition, are exceedingly rare.
Foxx
Here is the revised Vixen. Spent 45 bp on gear, wear, and etc.

[ Spoiler ]
BlackHat
Not that it is any of my business, but it seems like TONS of professional fighters (boxers and such) suffer brain damage on a regular basis. Not critical "My brain forgets to breath, or to make my heart pump" brain damage, but it is certainly possibly to take a punch to the head and walk away from it - often without even realizing how badly you are hurt - but its still brain damage.

As for what is my business, I didn't get as much time over the holidays to work on my character as I had hoped, and none of my concepts really came together beforehand, so I probably won't be submitting anything before the 1st (which I think was the deadline). I'll keep an eye on the game, because I think the idea is interesting (I live in Michigan, visit Canada, and go hunting occasionally), and if there is an opening later, I'll see if I can do better after I've had some exposure to what the setting will be like.
ravensoracle
Here is the updated JD.

Changed Longarms from 1 to 3. And Expanded a little on his background questions.

Character Sheet

[ Spoiler ]

Background

[ Spoiler ]

Edit: Dropped 1 points Longarm, Added Specialization (Sniper Rifles), Took 10,000Y More in Gear

Found I was missing simple things like a trode set and Satelite link
pbangarth
Thanks for the PC updates. I will look at them in a day or two. Hopefully without a hangover!

QUOTE (Karoline @ Dec 30 2009, 10:00 AM) *
Right, which was my point as to why it would be near impossible or very difficult at least. Brain/spinal damage from attacks that don't kill you, or at the very least put you in a critical condition, are exceedingly rare.
OK, I gave this some thought while driving through a snowstorm today. Shadowrun for the most part doesn't care about hit location, so we have to thread through the unclear, half-expressed ideas given us. In my estimation, a hit to brain or spinal cord will drop a creature, no matter how much other damage it has taken. In other words, it will have taken overflow damage. So, here is how I will do it:

A regenerating creature will be considered to have taken a non-regenerating hit to brain and/or spinal cord:

IF the attacker used the Called Shot modifier of -4,
AND the damage from the attack put the creature into overflow (not necessarily fully dead, but dying). This may be as a result of one massively damaging hit, or a lesser hit on top of other damage. This latter option won't matter to a regenerating creature unless it has taken a whole shitload of fire in one combat turn, in which case a hit to a critical location would be part of a general shredding.
Karoline
Sounds perfectly fine to me. Just wanted to know how much I should stock up on things like silver bullets and stakes and such. Anyone have any other ideas for common weaknesses/allergies of the sorts of things we might be facing? So far wood, silver, and Ferris metal (Which is what most bullets are made of) are the only ones I've seen. And yeah, my character will have relevant knowledge skills to be able to have at least some ideas of things that might help out.
ravensoracle
I just noticed I missed some glaring mistakes in gear so I rearranged some points around. See prior post.

I haven't finished spending all the 10000Y I added for gear. I will do so tomorrow when after I get some sleep so I can do the calculations right.

I still haven't found what language besides possibly english is prevalent in the AMC, anyone know?
pbangarth
One person has "Algonquian", which would be a good general one for the AMC. Others might be Cree, Mohawk, even Sperethiel.
ravensoracle
Ok I added Algonquian. Also finished up with ammo for the sniper rifle. Can't wait to go hunting.
Karoline
What is Algonquian?
Karoline
Yet another last minute question:
How do you want us to handle negative SURGE qualities above 15 points? Like if I take two 10 point negative SURGE qualities, does that count as 15 towards the quality and 5 general, or does it mean I can get 5 more points of positive SURGE qualities?
Trigger
QUOTE (Karoline @ Dec 31 2009, 12:50 PM) *
What is Algonquian?

It is a language family, a grouping of a large number of Native American languages, each of the individual languages being like a dialect off of the main family branch.

Right now my sheet is listed with Algonquian 3, but when I get the points I am going to change it to Algonquian (Mahican) 3, specializing in the Mahican dialect of the Algonquian language family.

Also, Algonquian is real way to spell Algonkian (from Algonkian-Manitou Council). I don't know why it is spelled with a K instead of a QU in Shadowrun.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Karoline @ Dec 31 2009, 11:34 AM) *
Yet another last minute question:
How do you want us to handle negative SURGE qualities above 15 points? Like if I take two 10 point negative SURGE qualities, does that count as 15 towards the quality and 5 general, or does it mean I can get 5 more points of positive SURGE qualities?
You can have up to 35 BP of Negative qualities, regular, Metagenic or whatever, IF you are a Metavariant character. In that case, the two -10s just cost -20, period.

If you take the Class III Surge Quality for 20 BP, then you get 30 BP of Positive Metagenic Qualities and 15 BP of Negative Metagenic Qualities, all subsumed in that Positive 20 BP. Then you can have 15 BP more of any Positive Qualities and up to 35 BP of any Negative Qualities, including Metagenic ones. Near as I can make out, that is what you are talking about above. In that case, 15 of the two 10s of Negative Qualities are taken up by the Class III Surge, and the other 5 BP must be allotted from your regular 35 BP maximum of Negative Qualities.

Note that a Metavariant Character that gets some Metagenic Qualities built into the Metatype cost can also take other Metagenic Qualities within the regular 35/-35 limits, and also take Surge (Class I, II, or III) on top of being a Metavariant. Yes, the Metagenic Qualities can really pile up if you do this.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Trigger @ Dec 31 2009, 03:12 PM) *
It is a language family, a grouping of a large number of Native American languages, each of the individual languages being like a dialect off of the main family branch.

Right now my sheet is listed with Algonquian 3, but when I get the points I am going to change it to Algonquian (Mahican) 3, specializing in the Mahican dialect of the Algonquian language family.

Also, Algonquian is real way to spell Algonkian (from Algonkian-Manitou Council). I don't know why it is spelled with a K instead of a QU in Shadowrun.
On page 20 of Shadows of North America, Algonkian is listed as one of the major languages of the AMC. As well, a tribal affiliation of Algonkian is listed. Assume that a communal tribal organization was formed along with the nation, and that a communal language developed from the various original variants.

The 'K' comes in ... maybe because the writers have decided to abandon the French influence that introduced the 'QU' construct. A lot of the English and French spellings of aboriginal phonemes, at least from the northern part of North America, are taken from the early French interpretations of how the sounds should be written.

EDIT: spelling error fixed.
Trigger
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Dec 31 2009, 06:16 PM) *
On page 20 of Shadows of North America, Algonkian is listed as one of the major languages of the AMC. As well, a tribal affiliation of Algonkian is listed. Assume that a communal tribal organization was formed along with the nation, and that a communal language developed from the various original variants.

The 'K' comes in ... maybe because the writers have devided to abandon the French influence that introduced the 'QU' construct. A lot of the English and French spellings of aboriginal phonemes, at least from the northern part of North America, are taken from the early French interpretations of how the sounds should be written.

Cool, good to know. I don't know where my copy of Shadows of North America is, so I had to go off of current real world languages for my character's Native American language.
pbangarth
See Post #1 for list of players so far. Whack me upside the head with a fish if I missed you.
Karoline
Sorry, got busy making all kinds of snack things for new years. Had Chinese Pork and Cabbage Dumplings, Spicy Meatballs, Cheese Triangles, Pork Shiu Mai, Stuffed Dates, French Bread, Buffalo Chicken Dip, and a Veggie Platter. Those Dumplings took forever to make, though they turned out fairly good. I just need to finish answering the questions and come up with a name and I'm done with my character. I'm thinking Longshot since she uses a sniper rifle with an extended barrel as her main weapon and she can be a bit reckless at times.
Karoline
Well, I don't like finishing my character sheet before my questionnaire, but I figured I should have something for PB to look at.

[ Spoiler ]

Longshot will be her nickname. I may tamper with it a bit more if I need to move something around to fit with her personality a bit better. I hope the lifestyle works okay for you, I was a bit unsure how to handle it. Basically a cottage out in the woods, has a couple drones to cut wood and such, it mostly doesn't have power, but there is a generator around to keep the drones and vehicle running.
pbangarth
Karoline, I assume Longshot's Climate Adaptation is to Arctic, rather than Desert, right? Cool set of qualities! Addicted to a drug that makes her (?) do stupid things, and she looks like something the Québecois like to shoot at. Awesome!

I don't see the implants' effect on her Essence recorded at the top.
Karoline
Yes, arctic adaptation and I forgot to adjust essence. I don't think I got more than two or three points worth though. Yeah, she looks like something that she might hunt otherwise, and thus basically always wears clothing that covers her body completely, complete with hood, face/ski mask, and goggles. About the only thing that would look odd about her normally is her tail, which she doesn't hide while out in the wilds, but if she thinks she'll be in a 'social' setting, she'll hide her tail.

I really do need to get around to writing up her questions. Perhaps in the morning I'll have some time.
pbangarth
So, Longshot will have her tail rolled up in the back of her pants. I can hear the 'booty' jokes already. grinbig.gif
Karoline
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 4 2010, 01:15 AM) *
So, Longshot will have her tail rolled up in the back of her pants. I can hear the 'booty' jokes already. grinbig.gif

Actually goes down the back of one pant leg or wraps around a leg... not entirely sure about the details, but it wouldn't be all that noticeable unless she is wearing tight/revealing clothing, which she generally doesn't do.

The real problem comes when she has to sit down wink.gif
pbangarth
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jan 3 2010, 11:50 PM) *
Actually goes down the back of one pant leg or wraps around a leg... not entirely sure about the details, but it wouldn't be all that noticeable unless she is wearing tight/revealing clothing, which she generally doesn't do.

The real problem comes when she has to sit down wink.gif

Alright then:

"Is that a tail in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"
pbangarth
Not sayin' this matters or anything, but near as I can tell, the most charismatic of the team is JD, the ranch hand, with a whopping CHA of 3. The "face" in the group appears to be Longshot, with a CHA of 2 and Negotiation 2. Or with animals, Vixen with her CHA 2 and Animal Empathy.

If this is OK with you guys, it's OK with me.
ravensoracle
Actually I'm the most charasmatic with animals with the Animal Handling skill. Unless Vixen has it also. I guess first buy on my list when the game stars is some Empathy software.
Karoline
Oh, heh, I thought the face position was covered. Longshot will make a bad face as she is shy when not on guts. Could be very interesting to see what happens without a face of any kind.
ravensoracle
Well, with no good face to talk us through there goes smuggling through border checkpoints, Unless we can get some well sealed smuggling compartments.
Foxx
I can always rework Vixen as a face. I have noticed we have enough head busters and magical support so I can easily trade her in for a more savvy speaking model.
ravensoracle
That's really between you and Pbangarth. I've been in games with no face and depending on the GM it has worked out ok. I have to say as a writer or in RL I am not a face. I am just not a smooth talker so I tend to shy away from that role.
pbangarth
I am happy to play with whatever team you guys come up with. I just want to be sure you understand the strengths and limitations of your party before play starts, so you don't think I am pulling something over on you. Most problems have more than one solution, so, while you may not have the easiest solution available to you, you may find another way around based on the skills you do have.

And yes, I will have fun with you if the opportunity presents itself. Sorry. GM's prerogative. grinbig.gif
Karoline
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 5 2010, 10:13 AM) *
Most problems have more than one solution, so, while you may not have the easiest solution available to you, you may find another way around based on the skills you do have.

We have how many people that specialize in sniper rifles? I think our solutions may go something like this or maybe this because we sure aren't doing this with our skills wink.gif
Foxx
I'm suddenly digging the face, I think i'm going to run with it. Face is more fun then the grumpy super soldier, though no doubt we shall miss her collection of firearms nyahnyah.gif
pbangarth
No problem, Foxx. Let me have a look when you are ready.

Just to give a hint as to how I think as a GM, Karoline, your PC gets 1 Karma point, because the motivational posters made me laugh (especially the bluff one) even though I am pissed at our renters in Toronto who let the pipes freeze in our home.
Karoline
Woo, half a specialization smile.gif

I really like the bluff one too, it can take a moment to fully get it.

Sorry to hear about the frozen pipes, those can really suck. We've had alot in the area here too, though not at my place.
ravensoracle
I spent the 26th under my neighbors house with a blow torch thawing out his pipes. Luckily he had steel and copper so they didn't break, but I was crawling around in about 2ft clearance for most of the day. I truly feel your frustration.
ravensoracle
Double Post silly.gif
Karoline
QUOTE (ravensoracle @ Jan 5 2010, 11:07 PM) *
I spent the 26th under my neighbors house with a blow torch thawing out his pipes. Luckily he had steel and copper so they didn't break, but I was crawling around in about 2ft clearance for most of the day. I truly feel your frustration.

So, my question whenever I hear a story like this is: Why were you under your neighbors house? wink.gif
pbangarth
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jan 5 2010, 10:28 PM) *
So, my question whenever I hear a story like this is: Why were you under your neighbors house? wink.gif

Because..... he's a really nice guy?
ravensoracle
Because the neighbor had no idea what he was doing and he had two small kids. And I didn't want his pipes bursting leaving the kids without water.
pbangarth
See? He is a nice guy!
ravensoracle
Yeah sometimes too nice.

So besides waiting on Vixen's new character, what's the timeline for the game to start? Sorry if I'm a little impatient, but I really am looking forward to this game. Plus I'd like to be in a game that doesn't fall apart. My RL game just crashed because of a asshat player.
pbangarth
I'm eager to get going, too. I would like to start in January. When that might be depends on complete character info so I can tailor a game to the PCs. I have three skeleton outlines for jobs at the moment. Currently it looks like we have four PCs, which is just fine with me. If another couple show up later, I'm sure we can fit them in.
pbangarth
I notice no one has Pilot Aircraft Skill.
Trigger
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 7 2010, 12:56 AM) *
I notice no one has Pilot Aircraft Skill.

I couldn't fit in if I wanted to smile.gif
Foxx
And here's ya'lls face.

[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012