Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SURGE class ... over 3 ?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Omenowl
Karoline, I think the writers didn't want to limit the types of changelings purely by points (note my ganesha example). They are relying on the GMs to determine what types of changelings they want and how they manifest. If we built the metahumans and metavariants with surge rules compared to humans we would find they would require a lot more points (an elf would cost at least 50 points). This is where judgement comes into being a GM and learning where to say yes to a concept and where to say no.

If it has a mechanical advantage then count it towards a spread. If it has a minimal, overlapping, or negligible effect than I would not count it or reduce the cost. Also compare the cost to other sapients/metavariants to see if the costs are similar.
Karoline
Ganesha can easily be done with a 30/15 spread, and in fact fit in it very perfectly. Give me a minute and I'll add up the points (I've done this before on another thread, but don't remember it exactly off hand)

Here you go:
They are basically elephantheaded
humanoids, with huge tusks, elephant-like grey skin, large
ears, and a prehensile proboscis (or trunk).

Larger Tusks (10)
Proboscis (10)
Rhino Hide (10)
Gene Freak (-10)
Vestigial Tail (-5)

I'm maybe taking a bit of a librity with the vestigial tail, but I'd imagie they have a small elephant like tail giving how much they otherwise mimic an elephant.

I don't know why everyone always thinks these guys have shiva arms...
Jhaiisiin
Probably because a significant number of Hindu deity figures have multiple limbs, and so many assume it applies to all of them, which isn't true.
Omenowl
Ganesha is usually shown with 4 arms in Hindu mythology.
Karoline
Just because the deity usually has 4 arms doesn't mean that a changeling that somewhat resembles the deity does (And since it isn't mentioned and extra arms would be a rather big point, I figure they don't generally have that, though some of course could).
Delarn
Seing it like that, then a Character could become a monster in no time ! Then we would need more metagenics qualities.
tagz
QUOTE (Delarn @ Jan 8 2010, 10:08 PM) *
Seing it like that, then a Character could become a monster in no time ! Then we would need more metagenics qualities.

Potentially. I think the rational is that if you want to take tons of metagen qualities you'll have to take a whole lot more negative metagen qualities too if you don't want to pay out of the regular limits. You might make a combat monster for instance, but you'd likely be a complete waste of space to the rest of the group the rest of the time, or worse then a waste, a liability with a crippling "phonebook size list" of negatives that will likely make the villagers grab their torches and pitchforks every time you go out for a soycaf.

As far as handling the latent surge thing. I'd do it like this:
1-3 hits treat as normal
4 hits reduce needed negative points for this character by 5
5 hits increase positive point allowance by 5
6 hits increase positive points by 5, decrease negative by 5

This would basically let you take a Surge III with a lil bonus for the extra hits.
Draco18s
QUOTE (tagz @ Jan 8 2010, 04:52 PM) *
This would basically let you take a Surge III with a lil bonus for the extra hits.

That turns 6 hits into:

40 positive points
5 negative points
for a cost of 15 points
Karoline
I still don't see why you wouldn't just do what it says in the book which is to ignore hits above 3.
tagz
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 8 2010, 10:54 PM) *
That turns 6 hits into:

40 positive points
5 negative points
for a cost of 15 points

not cumulative

I'm not THAT big a pushover GM n_n
Draco18s
QUOTE (tagz @ Jan 8 2010, 04:56 PM) *
not cumulative

I'm not THAT big a pushover GM n_n

Ah ha.
Omenowl
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jan 8 2010, 12:09 AM) *
Just because the deity usually has 4 arms doesn't mean that a changeling that somewhat resembles the deity does (And since it isn't mentioned and extra arms would be a rather big point, I figure they don't generally have that, though some of course could).

Again it is between GM and player to match said theme. If you take a Ganesha style character I assume 4 arms and elephant to match the diety. It just depends on what extreme the player and GM are willing to take it. Same with our flying man bat. 3-4 traits is not trying to game the system usually.

Delarn
QUOTE (tagz @ Jan 8 2010, 10:52 PM) *
Potentially. I think the rational is that if you want to take tons of metagen qualities you'll have to take a whole lot more negative metagen qualities too if you don't want to pay out of the regular limits. You might make a combat monster for instance, but you'd likely be a complete waste of space to the rest of the group the rest of the time, or worse then a waste, a liability with a crippling "phonebook size list" of negatives that will likely make the villagers grab their torches and pitchforks every time you go out for a soycaf.

As far as handling the latent surge thing. I'd do it like this:
1-3 hits treat as normal
4 hits reduce needed negative points for this character by 5
5 hits increase positive point allowance by 5
6 hits increase positive points by 5, decrease negative by 5

I disagree. I think I made the best compromise with the small 5 point (Extravagant eyes, Critter spook and so on)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012