Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hardliner Gloves
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Old_Man
Could not really find an answer to this on the forums anywhere but...

Do hardliner gloves stack with the critical strike adept power?

And then is there an equivalent to hardliner gloves but for feet?
Neraph
1) The proper question is actually "Does the Adept Power Critical Strike stack with Hardliner Gloves?", since Hardliner Gloves are technically a weapon (complete with a damage code) that happens to use the Unarmed combat skill. In any event, I would say they do (Hardliner Gloves use the Unarmed Skill, and Crit Strike increased dmg of Unarmed attacks).

2) There are no stats for this, although I can see them being developed (steel-toed shoes). This would be a house rule though.
Falconer
The power does not say when using the unarmed combat skill. It says when involved in unarmed combat.

If you're using a weapon... while you may be using the skill... you're not unarmed or involved in unarmed combat.

The defiance EX shocker uses the unarmed combat skill in melee as well... does that count as well?! Either you're fighting w/ a weapon or you're not. By your logical argument construct Neraph... you must conclude the shocker also qualifies... how about a shock hand.

IMO: the adept powers wording allows use w/ bare knuckles, bare knuckles + adept melee powers. Not with any weapons.

If you take it to it's logical end... now you get... weapon focus hardliner gloves... on top of all the adept powers. If it's a weapon, then that's a big nono... (a sword adept would not be able to do this, let alone the difficulties of smuggling a sword through things as opposed to an easily overlooked pair of gloves). See the balance issues which start to crop up.

As far as the second... yeah steel toed boots... or the like... I don't see any issues with them. They're not problematic in their own right.
Neraph
QUOTE (Falconer @ Jan 15 2010, 01:29 AM) *
The power does not say when using the unarmed combat skill. It says when involved in unarmed combat.

If you're using a weapon... while you may be using the skill... you're not unarmed or involved in unarmed combat.

I never said Crit Strike is used with the Unarmed Combat Skill. I said the Hardliner Gloves used Unarmed Combat skill, and Crit Strike increases the damage of "unarmed attacks", which, logically, means any attack with the Unarmed Combat Skill. Obviously, some people can argue that gloves on your hands prevent you from using your boxing techniques...

The defiance EX shocker uses the unarmed combat skill in melee as well... does that count as well?! Either you're fighting w/ a weapon or you're not.

Where does it say that? In my book it says "...allow it to be used as a stun weapon in melee." Can you tell me where that says "Using the Unarmed Combat Skill"? I'd imagine it uses Clubs, just like Pistol-whipping does, as per Arsenal.

If you take it to it's logical end... now you get... weapon focus hardliner gloves... on top of all the adept powers. If it's a weapon, then that's a big nono... (a sword adept would not be able to do this).

True, but swords have a roughly equal end damage code, and a lot less effort to get it at. An adept needs to take Hardliner Gloves and three levels of Crit Strike to equal just the +DV a claymore gives the shmuck who walked down the street and bought it (from a weapons dealer, of course), and the adept doesn't have the Armor Penetration a claymore does unless he spends more Power Points to get it.

So I'd say no... it's not a huge issue. But the rules, and balance seem to suggest otherwise.

As far as the second... yeah steel toed boots... or the like... I don't see any issues with them. They're not problematic in their own right.

They're not problematic in their own right... But when used in accordance to the Crit Strike from above, Penetrating Strike, a few martial arts, Distance Strike, and Kick Attack, you've got something particularly dangerous.
Saint Sithney
I would figure that "unarmed attacks" referred to attacks where the character is unarmed.

I also expect unarmed combat, at an adept level, to be using more than just a closed fist. I'm thinking finger jabs to the throat and eyes, flying elbows, massive kicks all heel-to-temple, knees busting chins, palm strikes driving bone into brains and all sorts of other mayhem not even remotely related to just socking a guy in the puss.
Glyph
I don't usually agree with Neraph's rules interpretations, but I do here. Hardliner gloves just add a bit of extra "umph" to a normal unarmed attack, similarly to how bone lacing increases unarmed damage. I generally favor letting the gloves stack with both critical strike and bone lacing.

There is nothing officially out there that gives a similar boost to kicking damage, but it's still easy enough for the GM to come up with steel-toed boots or densiplast-reinforced tabi shoes, or some other functional equivalent of the gloves.

Machiavelli
Agree. The description says that the adept power lets the attacker hit harder. This is definitely something that is compatible with knuckledusters and hardliner gloves, don´t you think?
Neraph
QUOTE (Glyph @ Jan 15 2010, 05:11 AM) *
I don't usually agree with Neraph's rules interpretations, but I do here. Hardliner gloves just add a bit of extra "umph" to a normal unarmed attack, similarly to how bone lacing increases unarmed damage. I generally favor letting the gloves stack with both critical strike and bone lacing.

When someone who doesn't like me (a generalization, of course) agrees with me on a ruling, that should say something. Either: 1) The ruling is correct, or 2) I am slowly converting said person to my philosophy of the game. Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha! vegm.gif
Machiavelli
or

3) you are converting to HIS philosophy of the game.^^
Neraph
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Jan 15 2010, 11:55 AM) *
or

3) you are converting to HIS philosophy of the game.^^

Didn't you know? I'm a Taurus. That'll never happen.
Machiavelli
QUOTE (Neraph @ Jan 15 2010, 07:02 PM) *
Didn't you know? I'm a Taurus. That'll never happen.
grinbig.gif
Falconer
Neraph.. I disagree with you on one two primary points.

If we disregard the defiance ex... and instead use shocker gloves... we get the same problem. And those definitively use unarmed in SR4a. (don't see the reference in SR4a print on defiance, and I lent out my old book to a new player.. so if someone could check there). The gloves are a weapon, not 'unarmed combat'... they only happen to use the same skill to punch with, but try telling some cop who's frisking you that the brass knuckles aren't a weapon and see how well that goes. Also as the other poster rightly adds... unarmed combat is more than just punching... it's also kicks, elbows, breaks, binds, etc.

Now onto my second contention... you claim that weapons are easy and equivalent. I disagree strongly. There are many adept powers which directly enhance unarmed combat... and it's the only one in which the damage potential is essentially unlimited. (str1, mag10 human, could conceivably have 11 base damage... w/ crit strike 10... which especially when you get into things like power points in place of metamagics as in street magic... it's not hard to get tons of power points subject of course to the max magic limitation). (it's cheaper to initiate than it is to raise magic under SR4a w/ the 5x new magic cost).

The only advantage of weapons is the ability to generate bonus dice (by being weapon foci) and reach. Their equipment advantages are easily offset by A. being hard to conceal for the big ones and B. inability to get them where you need them. C. cost on weapon foci (both $$$ & bonding karma)

Even a small concealable weapon like a survival knife is only +1DV, -1AP. It's only advantage over unarmed is that you can get them in weapon foci. If we go slightly larger... mono-sword is only +1reach, +3DV, -1AP.

Martial arts quality... you can get +3 DV to unarmed combat, but only +2DV to blades IIRC, and only +1 to clubs.

Equipment wise... yes you can get +3 or 4 DV with an axe... but I can also get +3 DV by using bone lacing. (also a cyberlimb does P damage instead of S if used in melee).

So effectively, IF you go with what you're saying... not only can the unarmed adept take the only advantage of a weapons adept (the ability to get bonus dice to hit from weapon foci), but they can also increase their damage w/ very little limit.

This is why I caution against it.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Falconer @ Jan 16 2010, 01:35 AM) *
If we disregard the defiance ex... and instead use shocker gloves... we get the same problem. And those definitively use unarmed in SR4a. (don't see the reference in SR4a print on defiance, and I lent out my old book to a new player.. so if someone could check there).
But with shock gloves you do a touch attack to transfer the charge. there is no double damage and punching harder, which Critical strike essentially is, will help nothing.

Now onto my second contention... you claim that weapons are easy and equivalent. I disagree strongly. There are many adept powers which directly enhance unarmed combat... and it's the only one in which the damage potential is essentially unlimited. (str1, mag10 human, could conceivably have 11 base damage... w/ crit strike 10... which especially when you get into things like power points in place of metamagics as in street magic... it's not hard to get tons of power points subject of course to the max magic limitation). (it's cheaper to initiate than it is to raise magic under SR4a w/ the 5x new magic cost).
Every Power is limited by MAG. So you would have to have Mag 10 to get Critical Strike 10. This is really expensive. Going to STR/2 +6 and negative AP is no problem even for a mundane.

Martial arts quality... you can get +3 DV to unarmed combat, but only +2DV to blades IIRC, and only +1 to clubs.
You remember incorrectly: The bonuses from all martial arts stack. Take Arnis de Mano(+1DV on Blades), Escrima(+1DV on Blades) and Ars Cybernetica (+DV on Blades) for +3. There are even three more but the bonus is capped at 3.

Equipment wise... yes you can get +3 or 4 DV with an axe... but I can also get +3 DV by using bone lacing.
Thats +3 and Reach 0 an axe(+4) has Reach 2.

So effectively, IF you go with what you're saying... not only can the unarmed adept take the only advantage of a weapons adept (the ability to get bonus dice to hit from weapon foci), but they can also increase their damage w/ very little limit.
It has always been this way that unarmed adepts are better than armed melee adepts. This is why i suggested a house rule in another forum to create powers that work like the unarmed attack enhancing powers but for a single melee weapon skill e.g. Critical Strike(Clubs), Penetrating Strike(Blades)

Another thing that balances unarmed against armed melee is the fact that you cannot make more than one attack against a single opponent or make one attack and still get the benefit of Full Defense.

Karoline
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Jan 15 2010, 08:32 PM) *
But with shock gloves you do a touch attack to transfer the charge. there is no double damage and punching harder, which Critical strike essentially is, will help nothing.

I think his point is that the hardliner gloves don't say that they do or do not stack with critical strike, but they are obviously an object of some kind that are considered a weapon and use unarmed skill. The shock gloves are similarly an object that are considered a weapon and use unarmed skill and do not state specifically if they stack with critical strike. Thus, regardless of the fact that one does (e) damage or that one requires only a light touch to do the damage as opposed to a hard strike, mechanically they are identical in their qualification from a rules standpoint for being affected by critical strike. Thus if one qualifies for being affected by critical strike, the other must as well.

So, if the hardliner gloves work with critical strike, so do the shock gloves because rules wise they are indistinguishable in any regard that matters to critical strike.
Falconer
Correct Karoline, thank you for stating that so succinctly....

While brevity may be the soul of wit... too often I get caught up in trying to cover my flanks w/ the exceptions and conditionals.

My concerns here are pretty much summarised thus.
What you said. If taken to a logical conclusion, why not a WH40k power fist... if it uses unarmed.... and given the over the top and cyberpunk nature of SR... it definately fits the setting.

This gives unarmed adepts access to the full benefits of weapon adepts... with none of the drawbacks (such as being disarmed).

Dakka:
Incorrect on martial arts... Arnis de Mano and Escrima are the same thing under the same entry.
+1 DV blades is only present twice in arsenal. I actually skimmed Arsenal quickly before writing that.

You're missing the point.. the largest weapon is only a +4 DV. +4 DV from critical strike is only 1PP (.25 per rank) and only requires 4 magic. A player can easily exceed that. The Magic 10 was mostly because I had the idea of some great old withered master in my head... punching like a freight train making a troll look weak.
Karoline
QUOTE (Falconer @ Jan 15 2010, 09:14 PM) *
punching like a freight train making a troll look weak.

Well, that isn't all that hard to do with critical strike in the first place. After all, STR only adds half to damage, so even a really strong troll only does 5ish base damage. Meanwhile an average human with a slightly above average magic can easily get 2+4=6 damage from a punch.
Emy
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jan 15 2010, 08:03 PM) *
Well, that isn't all that hard to do with critical strike in the first place. After all, STR only adds half to damage, so even a really strong troll only does 5ish base damage. Meanwhile an average human with a slightly above average magic can easily get 2+4=6 damage from a punch.

In my opinion, it's only a good idea to pump Str really high once you've gotten all you can out of Agi.

Str: 1/2 to damage
Agi: 1/3 (average) to damage, also helps you hit opponents more easily.

Or is that already implicit in discussions about melee combat? (and hence you're just discussing how to raise base damage?)

QUOTE (Karoline @ Jan 15 2010, 06:48 PM) *
I think his point is that the hardliner gloves don't say that they do or do not stack with critical strike, but they are obviously an object of some kind that are considered a weapon and use unarmed skill. The shock gloves are similarly an object that are considered a weapon and use unarmed skill and do not state specifically if they stack with critical strike. Thus, regardless of the fact that one does (e) damage or that one requires only a light touch to do the damage as opposed to a hard strike, mechanically they are identical in their qualification from a rules standpoint for being affected by critical strike. Thus if one qualifies for being affected by critical strike, the other must as well.

So, if the hardliner gloves work with critical strike, so do the shock gloves because rules wise they are indistinguishable in any regard that matters to critical strike.

So you can use a normal (nongloved) touch attack to deal your critical strike damage? Because it looks like that's what this post implies.
Neraph
QUOTE (Falconer @ Jan 15 2010, 06:35 PM) *
If we disregard the defiance ex... and instead use shocker gloves... we get the same problem. And those definitively use unarmed in SR4a. (don't see the reference in SR4a print on defiance, and I lent out my old book to a new player.. so if someone could check there). The gloves are a weapon, not 'unarmed combat'... they only happen to use the same skill to punch with, but try telling some cop who's frisking you that the brass knuckles aren't a weapon and see how well that goes. Also as the other poster rightly adds... unarmed combat is more than just punching... it's also kicks, elbows, breaks, binds, etc.

The problem with this is that the Shock Gloves are specifically mentioned as not working with a normal attack. Check the FAQ before you make statements like that.

No, you just misunderstood me. Using the setting of Shadowrun, Awakened people are less than 1% of the populace. It is easier to buy a claymore than it is to be Awakened (much less an Adept or Mystic Adept) in the 6th World. That is the point I was trying to make. Even so, unless you use many of your Power Points to do so, a weapon will give you better +damage and AP (not to mention Reach) than will Unarmed. This is not to say you can't make a better Unarmed Adept, just that if you do you're specializing a lot more. Joe Shmoe with a claymore has the same +damage and AP than a specialized Adept devoting 1.25 Power Points to equal a claymore (although he still lacks the 2 Reach). Now that isn't a whole lot of PP spent, but 900 nuyen.gif is even easier to spend than 1.25 PP.

A base claymore is 1/2Str+4. That +4 is what I am referring to.

QUOTE (Dakka Dakka Posted Yesterday, 07:32 PM )
You remember incorrectly: The bonuses from all martial arts stack. Take Arnis de Mano(+1DV on Blades), Escrima(+1DV on Blades) and Ars Cybernetica (+DV on Blades) for +3. There are even three more but the bonus is capped at 3.

The cap of 3 is only for Unarmed damage bonuses, mainly because Unarmed is the only one that has more than two options to increase damage. Wildcat and Pentjak-Silat both present an option for +1 dice for called shot to increase damage, so if you take both of those you can just always declare a Called Shot for increased damage, taking a -2 penalty, and the +2 for those martial arts will offset it (effectively making it a +2 DV with any weapon). Then stack on +2 DV for Blades or the +3 DV for Unarmed.

QUOTE (Karoline Posted Yesterday, 07:48 PM )

Let me re-iterate (or more properly, quote the FAQ).

QUOTE (FAQ)
If you punch someone with shock gloves, do you inflict standard punching damage (STR/2) in addition to the glove's 6S DV? If you have gloves on both hands, can you attack with both and do 12S DV?

No, it's one or the other. You can choose to punch/kick/whatever and do regular unarmed damage, or you can choose to touch/punch and zap with the shock gloves, doing *only* the shock glove damage (not the unarmed damage too). Even with two gloves, the damage is still just 6S DV.

The upcoming Arsenal rulebook may feature rules for two-weapon melee.

So the FAQ clearly states how Shock Gloves interact with bonus damage sources, but Shock Gloves are not Hardliner Gloves.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Falconer @ Jan 16 2010, 03:14 AM) *
Incorrect on martial arts... Arnis de Mano and Escrima are the same thing under the same entry.
+1 DV blades is only present twice in arsenal. I actually skimmed Arsenal quickly before writing that.
Arnis de Mano and Escrima are under the same entry because their goals/advantages are sufficiently similar in the granularity of the game, but since they still are differently named they are distinct arts and thus they stack.

This is even clearer with arts that aren't as closely related as Arnis de Mano and Escrima and still are under the same entry:
ROSS vs. Krav Maga:One comes from Russia the other has Israeli origins.

And to not just rant, here is the RAW of it:

QUOTE ('Arsenal p. 156')
A character gains the advantages of all martial arts styles she knows; should they overlap, these dice modifiers stack.

QUOTE ('Arsenal p. 156')
Each martial arts entry gives the name of the style and the names of technically similar but distinct styles in parentheses, followed by a short description or history of the style and the advantages the character can choose from

Falconer
Thanks Dakka, I missed that. I was under the impression you could only take each individual 'benefit' of each art only once. I thought on each entry the seperate names weren't distinct enough to qualify.

That gives things like clubs a bit more love though at least.

The called shot bit is nifty, I've seen that in the past, but never considered it due to lack of actions (especially on a melee adept). Generally I find the free action on a melee adept is almost always used up by the 'adept centering' removing dice penalties. Though, as a power that's pretty nifty as it combines both the called shot & a limited form of the adept centering into a single free action. (even bigger for melee adepts since complex action to attack only leaves them 1 free action).

Not to sidetrack, but am I the only one who finds a lot of people don't read the book, and people end up doing way too much in a combat pass (EG: running, which is a free action, centering another, gesture... another... turns up!... but then they still attack not realizing how little time there actually is in the IP and how quickly actions get used).

Neraph:
I'm w/ Muspellsheimr on one thing here. The FAQ is so old and out dated and outright contradicts what was later printed that it's best for it to be ignored. I've stopped referring to it for anything. Though in this particular case, it's not particularly problematic.

However, the problem still exists from a rules perspective, that it's the weapon doing the damage, not the unarmed strike.

I'll repeat this... taken to logical extreme, this allows an unarmed adept to get all the benefits of a weapon (and a very easily concealable one at that! try walking into your local stuffer shack w/ a claymore or combat axe... try restricting yourself to concealable melee weapons) AND stack them w/ full adept unarmed adept combat powers. Or do you claim it's an ad absurdum argument, when I claim the first thing any munchkin will do is turn his hardliner gloves into a force 4 weapon focus and claim both benefits?

I'm not comparing a mundane w/ a sword to an adept. I'm comparing an adept w/ a sword to another adept and saying you're surrendering the only advantage the sword adept has. (it's kinda hard to disarm a phys ad if you hadn't noticed, or get him in situations where he has no weapons).

The only advantage for the sword adept is that he can bond a weapon focus giving him bonus dice to hit. (for every thiree dice he gets +1 hit increasing damage and odds that he'll connect). You start doing things w/ weapons and between reach, personalized grip, force 4 focus... that's +6 dice.

To expand on what Emy said...
Every 2 points of str == +1 damage
Every 3 points of Dex (or weapon focus, +dice mods) == +1 average damage, and better chance to hit.
Karoline
QUOTE (Neraph @ Jan 16 2010, 02:29 AM) *
So the FAQ clearly states how Shock Gloves interact with bonus damage sources, but Shock Gloves are not Hardliner Gloves.

No, it doesn't actually. It states quite clearly that the attack either does (str/2) or 6(e) damage. It does not state anything at all dealing with bonus damage from critical strike, either in regard to the 6(e) or the (str/2). It should also be noted that the shock gloves state quite plainly that you can use them with a punch, so it is entirely reasonable that the critical strike ability of an adept could continue to work through hitting particularly sensitive areas or pressure points or harder or whatever critical strike entails.

So yeah, be sure you read what something actually says before you say that it says something. wink.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jan 16 2010, 09:18 AM) *
No, it doesn't actually. It states quite clearly that the attack either does (str/2) or 6(e) damage. It does not state anything at all dealing with bonus damage from critical strike, either in regard to the 6(e) or the (str/2). It should also be noted that the shock gloves state quite plainly that you can use them with a punch, so it is entirely reasonable that the critical strike ability of an adept could continue to work through hitting particularly sensitive areas or pressure points or harder or whatever critical strike entails.

So yeah, be sure you read what something actually says before you say that it says something. wink.gif

I actually thought that it was pretty clear myself...

EITHER you do unarmed combat damage (no bonus for the Shock Gloves in DV notice) OR you do Shock Damage... you cannot do both at the same time...

SO, just like any other NORMAL Leather Gloves, you could deal basic unarmed damage... Now, Look at Hardliner Gloves... they add +DV damge to Unarmed combat... they are no more a weapon than another leather glove in effect, and provide the same benefits of bone lacing... are you going to argue that bone lacing does not stack with the unarmed combat damage of the Adept, should he choose to augment himself?

The problem with foci are that they are obvious, and the adept would give up his potential obscurity of the hardliners to augment them with magic... Why bother..., they are not all that hard to take away in the end (and damned if I am going to spend the amounts of money and karma on stuff liek that when there are so many other things to purchase)... they are just as susceptible to removal upon capture as your rating 4 combat axe focus is... they may be a little harder to remove in the immediate her and now of combat, but I would also say that of most melee specialists as well...

Anyways...

keep the Faith

Mikado
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jan 16 2010, 02:11 PM) *
SO, just like any other NORMAL Leather Gloves, you could deal basic unarmed damage... Now, Look at Hardliner Gloves... they add +DV damge to Unarmed combat... they are no more a weapon than another leather glove in effect, and provide the same benefits of bone lacing... are you going to argue that bone lacing does not stack with the unarmed combat damage of the Adept, should he choose to augment himself?

The only difference that I see is that bone lacing/augmentation is paid for with essence and there for a "natural" part of the body. Brass knuckles and hardliner gloves (while still unarmed combat) is a weapon. There is something (metal) between your skin and your target that is not basic everyday clothing. If you think of adept combat powers (save for distance strike) like touch spells it might make a bit more sense. Well, maybe not... Who said touch spells have to be skin on skin contact.

I don't have any stance on the matter. I don't think it is game breaking to allow close combat adepts to use hardliner gloves for a +2dv. In a game with assault rifles someone trying to get to melee combat could be suicidal. I think I would allow and adept to use them in the games I GM. My Monday night game GM would probably restrict their use though.

That being said... I would NOT allow an adept to use them with distance strike. I do not have my books with me to check the discription of distance strike but in no way would hardliner gloves make you hit something harder when your not even making contact with them.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Mikado @ Jan 16 2010, 12:28 PM) *
That being said... I would NOT allow an adept to use them with distance strike. I do not have my books with me to check the discription of distance strike but in no way would hardliner gloves make you hit something harder when your not even making contact with them.

Yeah, I have to agree with this... No Hardliner Gloves enhancement for the Distance Strike Adept

Keep the Faith
Karoline
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jan 16 2010, 02:11 PM) *
EITHER you do unarmed combat damage (no bonus for the Shock Gloves in DV notice) OR you do Shock Damage... you cannot do both at the same time...

No, it's one or the other. You can choose to punch/kick/whatever and do regular unarmed damage, or you can choose to touch/punch and zap with the shock gloves, doing *only* the shock glove damage (not the unarmed damage too).

Th is power uses magic to increase the Damage Value of
your unarmed attacks, as you strike with more profi ciency and
power. Each level of Critical Strike increases the character’s
Damage Value in unarmed combat by +1.

You're correct. You either do "regular unarmed damage" or "shock glove damage". Now, with a hardliner glove you do (Str/2) + 1 P damage. Period. Notice that it does not say "Regular unarmed damage + 1". It is listed as a weapon with its own damage value just like a sword is.

So, if you consider a hardliner glove to be unarmed combat (Which is certainly reasonable, given that it uses the unarmed combat skill to attack with), then the shock glove is also unarmed combat, regardless of if it is doing shock glove damage or regular unarmed damage. Both the hardliner and the shock glove list a specific damage amount in the weapons table, both use the unarmed combat skill, and both fail to mention any sort of stacking with anything that boosts unarmed combat damage.

So, like I said before, both the hardliner glove and the shock glove are identical in all respects that critical strike is concerned about. The only requirement for Critical Strike is that you are using unarmed combat. If hardliner glove is unarmed combat, then so is the shock glove, and thus the critical strike power will increase the (e) damage of the gloves. The fact that the shock glove does (e) type damage is utterly irrelevant to anything as far as Critical Strike is concerned.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jan 16 2010, 01:05 PM) *
You're correct. You either do "regular unarmed damage" or "shock glove damage". Now, with a hardliner glove you do (Str/2) + 1 P damage. Period. Notice that it does not say "Regular unarmed damage + 1". It is listed as a weapon with its own damage value just like a sword is.

So, if you consider a hardliner glove to be unarmed combat (Which is certainly reasonable, given that it uses the unarmed combat skill to attack with), then the shock glove is also unarmed combat, regardless of if it is doing shock glove damage or regular unarmed damage. Both the hardliner and the shock glove list a specific damage amount in the weapons table, both use the unarmed combat skill, and both fail to mention any sort of stacking with anything that boosts unarmed combat damage.

So, like I said before, both the hardliner glove and the shock glove are identical in all respects that critical strike is concerned about. The only requirement for Critical Strike is that you are using unarmed combat. If hardliner glove is unarmed combat, then so is the shock glove, and thus the critical strike power will increase the (e) damage of the gloves. The fact that the shock glove does (e) type damage is utterly irrelevant to anything as far as Critical Strike is concerned.

And as such I would allow someone to use the hardliner or shock glove (when using strength based unarmed damage) to be useable by the adept for unarmed combat damage boosts... however, the shock glove does not add damage as the hardliner glove does, and secondly, if the adept wanted to deliver a shock (he is no longer using his strength in regards to damaging his opponent), he would not get the additional benefits of his critical strike, penetrating strike or killing hands damage boosts (or any other additional boosts, whether they be technological like bone lacing, or otherwise)...

Pretty straight forward to me... You either do Strength based damage (str/2+whatever) or you do shock damage (6e)... you must choose between the two and never the twain shall meet...

Keep the Faith
Karoline
Except that critical strike doesn't mention anything about increasing strength. It doesn't mention anything about only affecting 'regular unarmed damage'. It mentions only one requirement; That you involved in unarmed combat. If hardliner gloves are unarmed combat, then so is the shock glove regardless of what kind of damage it does.

Pretty straight forward to me... You either do Strength based damage (str/2+whatever) or you do shock damage (6e)... you must choose between the two and never the twain shall meet...

You are quite correct, you do one or the other. You can't do 6(e) + (str/2). But like I said, critical strike doesn't say that it only works with (str/2) attacks.

Remember that hardliner glove doesn't say it does unarmed damage + 1. It just happens to have a damage that is equivalent to unarmed damage + 1. Kind like an axe just happens to have a damage that is equivalent to unarmed damage + 4.
Glyph
According to the most stringent reading of the rules, you are correct. It lists a set damage code. The impression I have gotten, most times it is mentioned, though, is that people tend to treat it as a +1 to the damage code. Otherwise, this glove would be pretty useless for anyone with adept powers, or martial arts damage boosts, or bone lacing. That doesn't make sense to me - I feel having a bit of densiplast giving your punches some extra "oomph" would be a slight improvement, and certainly wouldn't make it worse.
Karoline
QUOTE (Glyph @ Jan 16 2010, 06:07 PM) *
According to the most stringent reading of the rules, you are correct. It lists a set damage code. The impression I have gotten, most times it is mentioned, though, is that people tend to treat it as a +1 to the damage code. Otherwise, this glove would be pretty useless for anyone with adept powers, or martial arts damage boosts, or bone lacing. That doesn't make sense to me - I feel having a bit of densiplast giving your punches some extra "oomph" would be a slight improvement, and certainly wouldn't make it worse.

True, I'm just pointing out the RAW, if not the RAI.

That aside,
I can actually see a case for at the very least the gloves not working if you also have a damage bonus from bone lacing. As they both basically just make your hand harder. But yeah, I agree that from a common sense and RAW type viewing, there isn't much reason 'knuckle dusters' should interfere with MA bonus damage or likely even Adept Critical Strike.
Squinky
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jan 16 2010, 09:31 PM) *
True, I'm just pointing out the RAW, if not the RAI.

That aside,
I can actually see a case for at the very least the gloves not working if you also have a damage bonus from bone lacing. As they both basically just make your hand harder. But yeah, I agree that from a common sense and RAW type viewing, there isn't much reason 'knuckle dusters' should interfere with MA bonus damage or likely even Adept Critical Strike.

I just hate it when folks go out of there way to make rules even harder then they have to be smile.gif

I'm with Neraph's team on this one. If bone lacing adds in to adept powers, and if Bone lacing and Hardliners normally work together (they do, lets not just make up rules now people) then hardliners and critical strike work together as well. Do teeny little gloves somehow interfere with the characters ability to punch like Mike Tyson? Is magic that fickle? Crap, I hope not.

Saint Sithney
First off, Elemental Strike makes unarmed combat leaps and bounds better than armed combat. Activate it and all attacks become resisted by one half impact armor and can incapacitate, destroy chemically, engulf in flame, whatever. You can not fuck with this.

Second off, Hardliner gloves are a WEAPON. They do not do unarmed damage, they do weapon damage using the unarmed skill. If you want to house rule them to be Unarmed +1, that's your personal choice, not a rules reading. Here is a quote for reference. (SR4 p 306)

Unarmed Combat
These weapons require the Unarmed Combat skill to use.

Third off, there is no way you're going to try and argue up hardliner gloves from the perspective of realism. What in the hell is realistic about punching a guy fisticuffs style and doing as much damage as a point blank grenade blast? Realism in that situation has already hit the shitter. Besides, like I said before, anyone trained in hand to hand combat is not going to be hitting someone with a closed fist. You don't try and kill a guy with your OMG MASSIVE PUNCHES. They are going to be jamming their second knuckle up under someone's solar plexus to strike at the nerve center there. They'll grab an arm, break the elbow and then jam their thumb through a person's eye. They are going to chop a guys windpipe or kick out their knee cap. The overall effect of bone lacing serves to make every part of a person's body harder, not just a two inch ridge on their hands. This would make all strikes more effective and could reasonably be seen to increase a person's overall damage potential.
Karoline
QUOTE (Squinky @ Jan 16 2010, 11:03 PM) *
and if Bone lacing and Hardliners normally work together (they do, lets not just make up rules now people)

Well, nothing in the rules themselves actually says anything that would indicate that bone lacing and hardliner gloves work together. Hardliner gloves are a weapon with their own damage code. Bone lacing gives your unarmed attacks a certain new base damage. Since hardliner gloves never state anything about adjusting base unarmed damage, there is once again no RAW pointing towards the two stacking.

It doesn't make alot of sense either. If your fist is already as hard as steel, what is adding a steel plate on top of your fist going to do?

And if you don't think there is precedent for something soft (relatively) over something hard lightening a blow; try wrapping a hammer in foam rubber and see how nailing in a few nails goes for you.
JoelHalpern
We have to be really careful how far we take realism here. Koroline asks about something soft over something hard, and how much damage it would do. Well, there is skin over those bones. As far as I can tell, it makes no realistic sense to me that bone lacing would change the damage of a punch. At all.
Conversely, we have plenty of evidence that even with a lot of padding, one can hit a person hard enough to do physical damage, without knocking them unconscious. (We call this evidence "boxing".)

So I just go with what the rules tell me whenever I can.
After that, it is a judgment call, not RAW.
Personally, it seems to me that knowing how to punch (martial arts styles) would affect damage even with Hardliner Gloves (the fact that a martial arts purist would go ballistic is a completely separate question.) So I personally would tend to treat Heardline gloves as being unarmed combat for all purposes.
One place this matters is that as a result I would not allow the two-weapons maneuver with Hardliner Gloves.

Yours,
Joel
Falconer
Umm... the ones making up rules are the ones saying that hardliners & bone lacing would stack. That's nowhere in there.

Don't accuse us of that one. That's the pot calling the kettle black.

Bone lacing changes the creatures unarmed damage from being (Str/2) to (Str/2+X). Hardliners are a weapon w/ their own damage code of (Str/2+1). I challenge anyone to cite me where in the rules it says they stack.

The only thing the rules say is that they use the unarmed combat skill. (which is no different than tasers saying they use the pistols skill). And in this case it's necessary, as all exotics require their own special skill unless they say otherwise. Bone lacing's charge literally says unarmed combat damage. Hardliners are in an exotic weapons chart w/ everything else.

Also, not covered is that someone w/ bone lacing has paid essence which changes the equation a good bit as far as magic goes.
WalksWithWiFi
Honestly, i think it comes down to how anal retentive you want to be.
I am part of the gloves work with critical strike club.

I would not allow attunement with the gloves.
Though as a GM i make the judgement call(because as GM's we are the final decision maker on rulings)
that the gloves just apply a bonus to the unarmed attack.

That's all my tired brain has to say.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (WalksWithWiFi @ Jan 17 2010, 11:06 AM) *
Honestly, i think it comes down to how anal retentive you want to be.
I am part of the gloves work with critical strike club.

I would not allow attunement with the gloves.
Though as a GM i make the judgement call(because as GM's we are the final decision maker on rulings)
that the gloves just apply a bonus to the unarmed attack.

That's all my tired brain has to say.

In the end, this is the way we fall as well... though I never thought about the Attunement issue, I would apply it to the attack roll, not the damage roll, at least in my opinion... As Attunement adds +Dice to relevant roll

Keep the Faith
Falconer
Tymeaus... attunement and weapon foci BOTH add dice to attack rolls.

Only attunement adds half initiate round down (and needs a metamagic). While a focus adds it's force and needs to be bound and activated. They both serve as ritual links back to the user. They both need karma to bind. And they are both not necessarily obvious. (hardliner focus gloves could just look like the gloves in full metal alchemist with hidden unobvious alchemy circles on them).

Now you hit the unintended consequence I was talking about earlier... for weapon adepts... this is the ONLY thing they have going for them, the ability to use foci to get bonus dice. A weapon is a tool... weapon users are tool users. Yet now you have arbitrarily created a tool which augments normal unarmed damage, and capable of using all the augmentations available to magical tools... IF you say hardliners are a weapon in their own right w/ their own damage code this works no differently than an adept w/ a katana... IF they're +1 damage to normal unarmed combat... then you open this can of worms as now there's a lot of powers to enhance them not available to the sword user.

Unarmed combat is you're using your body/magic/essence augmentations to me. They shouldn't also gain the benefits of foci/etc.

Just for arguments sake, I could intentionally not spend power points on killing hands, use weapon focus hardliners. And stil pick up critical strike and those cheap .25pp damage boosts. Granted I might get into trouble if I'm ever without my focus and facing ItNW... but the +damage critical strike and the like would still work if they both stack.

I don't like to see a ninja type adept boned just because he chooses to use a ninja-to as his preferred melee weapon.. and doesn't go down the path of 'true power' of unarmed adept. This is my way of saying, the rules construct does not support it. So here's a good way to differentiate a tool using weapon adept vs. an unarmed adept.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Falconer @ Jan 17 2010, 01:47 PM) *
Tymeaus... attunement and weapon foci BOTH add dice to attack rolls.

Only attunement adds half initiate round down (and needs a metamagic). While a focus adds it's force and needs to be bound and activated. They both serve as ritual links back to the user. They both need karma to bind. And they are both not necessarily obvious. (hardliner focus gloves could just look like the gloves in full metal alchemist with hidden unobvious alchemy circles on them).

Now you hit the unintended consequence I was talking about earlier... for weapon adepts... this is the ONLY thing they have going for them, the ability to use foci to get bonus dice. A weapon is a tool... weapon users are tool users. Yet now you have arbitrarily created a tool which augments normal unarmed damage, and capable of using all the augmentations available to magical tools... IF you say hardliners are a weapon in their own right w/ their own damage code this works no differently than an adept w/ a katana... IF they're +1 damage to normal unarmed combat... then you open this can of worms as now there's a lot of powers to enhance them not available to the sword user.

Unarmed combat is you're using your body/magic/essence augmentations to me. They shouldn't also gain the benefits of foci/etc.

Just for arguments sake, I could intentionally not spend power points on killing hands, use weapon focus hardliners. And stil pick up critical strike and those cheap .25pp damage boosts. Granted I might get into trouble if I'm ever without my focus and facing ItNW... but the +damage critical strike and the like would still work if they both stack.

I don't like to see a ninja type adept boned just because he chooses to use a ninja-to as his preferred melee weapon.. and doesn't go down the path of 'true power' of unarmed adept. This is my way of saying, the rules construct does not support it. So here's a good way to differentiate a tool using weapon adept vs. an unarmed adept.

BUT Attunement does not bypass ITNW where a Weapon Foci Would indeed do so...
I see Attunement as the Character attuning to the Item not the Item attuning to the Character, so it would be an innate addition of the character expending resources on an intimate item, not the item itself being magical... it just happens that the item has a bit of personal Connection to the character (like an Aura, so to speak) once attunement has been completed...

And again, I would not let someone use the Hardliner Gloves (under the interpretation/house rule we use) as a Weapon Focus...

As for the Unintended consequences you point out, I have never seen them in our campaign... We could go absolutely crazy over things like this and make completely absurd characters, even by strict RAW... the absurdities should (and are, in our game) be controlled by the GM... that is one of their jobs in the running of the game... I Can't tell you how many times our GM has said (in any Game we play)... "That is not in the scope of this campaign, please fix it"

Just my two cents...

Keep the Faith
Saint Sithney
Can you install a personalized grip on hardliner gloves too?
Mikado
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jan 17 2010, 09:56 PM) *
And again, I would not let someone use the Hardliner Gloves (under the interpretation/house rule we use) as a Weapon Focus...

What? No orichalcum dust weighted gloves? grinbig.gif
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Jan 18 2010, 08:02 AM) *
While personalized grip is a bit of a misnomer, you could of course have the gloves custom fitted.
Neraph
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Jan 17 2010, 04:24 AM) *
Third off, there is no way you're going to try and argue up hardliner gloves from the perspective of realism. What in the hell is realistic about punching a guy fisticuffs style and doing as much damage as a point blank grenade blast? Realism in that situation has already hit the shitter. Besides, like I said before, anyone trained in hand to hand combat is not going to be hitting someone with a closed fist. You don't try and kill a guy with your OMG MASSIVE PUNCHES. They are going to be jamming their second knuckle up under someone's solar plexus to strike at the nerve center there. They'll grab an arm, break the elbow and then jam their thumb through a person's eye. They are going to chop a guys windpipe or kick out their knee cap. The overall effect of bone lacing serves to make every part of a person's body harder, not just a two inch ridge on their hands. This would make all strikes more effective and could reasonably be seen to increase a person's overall damage potential.

First off, I disagree with your use of strong language. Strong language tends to make people more aggressive.

Secondly, I've trained in martial arts for 15 years, and I absolutely would use a closed fist almost exclusively (with punches, that is). Most of my attacks would be kicks, yes, but that's simply because 1) I'm short (5'8"), so my legs help even the height difference (my legs are longer than my arms, and arm length is important in HTH combat), and 2) Most of the martial arts I've trained in (about 18 different ones) focus on kicking. The eye jab you mention is really freaking hard to pull off - it's like almost literally threading a needle in combat situations, and if you miss you hold a good chance of hurting your own thumb, and it is actually a little difficult (though certainly not impossible) to break an elbow. You need a setup for that one.
Draco18s
QUOTE (JoelHalpern @ Jan 17 2010, 11:09 AM) *
We have to be really careful how far we take realism here.

Realism? Apparently we've forgotten we're playing a game in which you're a Nazi troll mage firing a panther canon from the hip at a fire breathing dog.
Karoline
Is there any other way to fire a panther cannon? biggrin.gif
Draco18s
Does it matter?
Emy
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jan 18 2010, 02:08 PM) *
Is there any other way to fire a panther cannon? biggrin.gif

There might be, but are you going to tell a Nazi troll mage with a panther cannon that he's doing it wrong?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Jan 18 2010, 12:02 AM) *

QUOTE (Mikado)
What? No orichalcum dust weighted gloves?

Wow... Just Wow...

Keep the Faith
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Neraph @ Jan 18 2010, 08:51 AM) *
Secondly, I've trained in martial arts for 15 years, and I absolutely would use a closed fist almost exclusively (with punches, that is). Most of my attacks would be kicks, yes, but that's simply because 1) I'm short (5'8"), so my legs help even the height difference (my legs are longer than my arms, and arm length is important in HTH combat), and 2) Most of the martial arts I've trained in (about 18 different ones) focus on kicking. The eye jab you mention is really freaking hard to pull off - it's like almost literally threading a needle in combat situations, and if you miss you hold a good chance of hurting your own thumb, and it is actually a little difficult (though certainly not impossible) to break an elbow. You need a setup for that one.

There is a difference between a martial artist and a magical killer trained to superhuman precision, power and speed. That's really what critical strike means. It means that this person has a supernatural level of precision and power in every strike they make. To someone like that, threading the needle is a matter of muscle memory. You know that it would be very difficult to do yourself, or for pretty much anyone else you know, but you're not a killer. I don't think you've ever attacked anyone with the intent to kill or permanently disable them. An SR physad H2H expert is going to be doing that professionally. Like every day. He will be attempting the most damaging, deadly thing as his go to approach to combat.
Mikado
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jan 18 2010, 09:42 PM) *
Wow... Just Wow...

Keep the Faith

lol
I was joking with the orichalcum dust gloves.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Mikado @ Jan 19 2010, 10:15 AM) *
lol
I was joking with the orichalcum dust gloves.

Null Perspiration...

Keep the Faith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012