Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You might be a hardcore SR gamer if...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
crash2029
...Your character has more karma than bullets.
...You know by heart what page the running gear is on.
...You don't need eratta because you own every printing of every book.
...You've learned how to roll 18 standard d6's with one hand.
...You can go on for hours on the production values of Fanpro, Wizkids, and CGL.
...You can name every SR line developer off the top of your head, in order.
...You can quote the statistics of the Ares Predator from every edition.
...You own both versions of the SSC.
...You can correct Ancient History on the SR timeline.
...You giggled like a schoolgirl when you found out Julius Strouther was mayor of Seattle.
...You can name the runners in every edition's core rulebook starting fiction off the top of your head in order.
...Your bought every single Earthdawn book just so you'd know of all the 4th world/6th world tie-in plots.
...You bought every copy of the 360 game you could find in order to build a bonfire.
...You refer to your Blackberry/iPhone/PalmPilot as your pocket secretary.
...Whenever knockout drugs are mentioned you think of Narcojet.
...You call Crown Victorias Americars.
...You built a shrine to Jordan Weisman.
...You consider CP2020 a cheap knock-off.
...You have plane reservations to Japan for December of next year and you are trying to book a seat on any bullet trains that go past Fuji on the 24th.
...You go to Starbucks and order soykaf.
...You drive the employees at 7-11 crazy by writing checks out to Stuffer Shack.
...The section on lifestyles in Runners Companion keeps confusing you by abbrieviating soy-proccessing units as SPU's.
...Every time you watch TV one of two thoughts enter your head, "that'd make a great run" or "that'd make a great character." Sometimes both.
...You schedule a full physical every time you're coerced to play D&D.
...Every other anecdote you say begins with "There was this one thread on Dumpshock..."
...You check DS more often than your email.
...The last time you tried to bring all the relevant books to a game you ended up with a herniated disc.
...Every time you stupidly screw up you start muttering about the rule of one.
...When watching the over the top stunts in an action movie you always wonder how stratospherically high the target number was.
...You know more about your character's finances than your own.
...When you shop for a leather jacket B/I and concealability are on you list of qualifications.
...You think of "Old School" as SR1.
...You own the SR miniatures game.
...You still go nuts when someone says "a staging of M."
...Whenever you are in New York you are always on the lookout for a Seretech truck.
...You absolutely refuse to go to Abilene, TX.
...You constantly refer to Oregon as the Tir.
...You use drek as a curse in public.
...You refer to security guards as corpsec.
...When filling out demographic informaton you like to mark the 'other' column and fill in ingentis. Or robustus, nobilis, pumilonis, etc.
...You know the taxonomic designations of more paracritters than you do animals.
...You swear that any day now that damn Clippit is going to evolve to AI status.
...You refer to a search engine as an agent. Or frame.
...Every time you read your computers antivirus scan report you sigh with relief that Jormungand isn't listed.
...The only reason you learned anything about Norse Mythology was to better understand System Failure.
...Your non-gamer friends know more about SR from ignoring you than most SR players.
...Your non-gamer friends know who KK, AH, Stahlseele, et al, are.
...You refer to White Hats as Spiders.
...You read this entire post.
...You thought of a crapload more while doing so.
Karoline
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Feb 2 2010, 04:09 AM) *
...You know by heart what page the running gear is on.
...You've learned how to roll 18 standard d6's with one hand.
...You consider CP2020 a cheap knock-off.
...Every time you watch TV one of two thoughts enter your head, "that'd make a great run" or "that'd make a great character." Sometimes both.
...You check DS more often than your email.
...The last time you tried to bring all the relevant books to a game you ended up with a herniated disc.
...When watching the over the top stunts in an action movie you always wonder how stratospherically high the target number was.
...You know more about your character's finances than your own.
...You absolutely refuse to go to Abilene, TX.
...You use drek as a curse in public.
...You read this entire post.

...You have plane reservations to Japan for December of next year and you are trying to book a seat on any bullet trains that go past Fuji on the 24th.

I should do that...
...You go to Starbucks and order soykaf.

If I ever went to starbucks.

...You bought every copy of the 360 game you could find in order to build a bonfire.

If I could afford it. Very annoyed when someone asked me about my PDFs and I told them they were for Shadowrun and they thought I meant the videogame. So painful.
Sixgun_Sage
Your laptop freezes during a game, you keep running the game, and your players are surprised when you let them know what happened at the end of the session.
Karoline
..."I don't have my rulebooks handy" is an excuse for the weak.
Sixgun_Sage
Hey, I deserve credit, this happened 5 minutes into a 13 hour session.
BookWyrm
... in your mind, you replace the name of the medicine in the TV commercial with NERPS.
BRodda
How about stating out things like towtrucks, Soy Processing units and other useless crap and posting them on SR forums?....

I just posted another one for drink making units. I think I might need help wobble.gif
TheOneRonin
...you find yourself checking for security cameras, guard locations, ideal infil and exfil locations, and cover/fire zones every time you enter a corporate building.

...you consider a 300 page book on terminal ballistics, tables on firearms/ammunition MV/Bullet mass/ftlbs of energy delivered at range/Taylor Knock-Out values/recoil forces measured in ftlbs@fps, and the NIJ guide on Body Armor as "core books" for your SR games.

Guilty for both.
Stry
...You know the history of the sixth world better than you know the history of the past 70 years.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Stry @ Feb 2 2010, 02:24 PM) *
...You know the history of the sixth world better than you know the history of the past 70 years.

QFT! grinbig.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Stry @ Feb 2 2010, 12:24 PM) *

Sad but true, this I am.
Ancient History
...You can correct Ancient History on the SR timeline.

Give ten thousand typing monkeys a break.
Synner667
...You prefer the FASA Shadowrun material.
crash2029
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Feb 2 2010, 12:44 PM) *
Give ten thousand typing monkeys a break.

My apologies.
Axl
I only scored 3. frown.gif
Garou
QUOTE (TheOneRonin @ Feb 2 2010, 04:26 PM) *
...you find yourself checking for security cameras, guard locations, ideal infil and exfil locations, and cover/fire zones every time you enter a corporate building.

That happens to me. A LOT.
MikeKozar
You're saving up to have the local Print-Yer-Own make you a couple of ARES MACROTECHNOLOGY t-shirts... Just to see if anybody gets it. And because Ares rocks.
Karoline
QUOTE (Stry @ Feb 2 2010, 12:24 PM) *

I think we had a war in there somewhere....
LivingOxymoron
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Feb 2 2010, 01:09 AM) *
...Your character has more karma than bullets.
et al

You wondered to yourself during the last Presidential election which candidate would be best suited to handle the Awakening...
You're considering bringing up the PCC in your college Political Theory class...
Draco18s
QUOTE (Karoline @ Feb 2 2010, 04:51 PM) *
I think we had a war in there somewhere....

Which, in the real world? I think we had...2...3...4? 70 years might cover WWII, which I'm not counting.

War on Terror (1, 2)
Bush 1 War in Iraq (3)
Vietnam (4)

Oh hey.

Korea (5)
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Feb 2 2010, 05:21 PM) *
Which, in the real world? I think we had...2...3...4? 70 years might cover WWII, which I'm not counting.

War on Terror (1, 2)
Bush 1 War in Iraq (3)
Vietnam (4)

Oh hey.

Korea (5)

IIRC-Wars/conflicts of the last 70 years (1940-2010):
World War II-(Started in 39-ended in August of 45): Involved:Everybody but the Turks, Swedes, Swiss, Portugal and Spain and a few others (some of the south american countries).
First Arab Isreali War-(1948):Involved the new state of Isreal vs Jordan, Syria, Egypt, and Iraq.
Korean War-(1950 to 1954): N. Korea, China, and Russia vs Everybody else)
Greece & Turkey-(Cyprus--don't recall the dates-late 40's)

Second Arab Isreali War (1956)--Isreal Isreal vs Jordan, Syria, Egypt. The third takes place in 1967 with Isreal fighting Egypt, Jordan, and Syria. The fourth involves Egypt and Syria, and the last involves Isreal vs Hezbolla in the 1980's. Isreal is still in conflict with SYria, Hezbolla, Fatah (west bank), and Hamas (gaza strip).

French colonies of Moracco and Veitnam (1950's and early 60's)

African cold war by proxy (1950's to present): USA, European support for capitalist dicatators vs USSR for communist dictators. Still a mess, but now mostly due religious, and tribal comflicts rather than the cold war. I'd list them but the some of the countries involved include Somalia, Ethiopia, Central Africant Republic, Chad, Libya, Mauritania, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Angola, Mozambique, Congo (Zaire), Zimbabwe, Rawanda, Sudan, and Liberia.

Some border conflicts between south AMerican countries (Ecuador, Paraguay, Uraguay, Bolivia)

Sri Lankan Civil War (1970's to 2009-may restart at some point)
Columbian Civil War (1970's to present)
Cambodian Civil War (1970's to 1990's)
Afghanistan (1979-present)-Russians, Civil War, and then Nato involvement in the civil war post Sept. 11th.
Veitnahm vs China (1976 or something)
Russia vs China (1950's)
India vs China (1950's and 60's)
Pakistan and India (1950's, Continual boarder skirmishes to this day in Kashmir)

I know I'm missing some........I think I took the thread off-topic. biggrin.gif

Tiger Eyes
... you get permission from Catalyst to use the SR logo to get a custom-made belly button ring designed ...
BRodda
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Feb 3 2010, 01:58 PM) *
... you get permission from Catalyst to use the SR logo to get a custom-made belly button ring designed ...

I believe this fall under "Epic Win".
Prime Mover

Sweet
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Feb 3 2010, 07:00 PM) *
I know I'm missing some........I think I took the thread off-topic. biggrin.gif

Balkan wars ('90s mostly)
Draco18s

Eh, I'd settle for a flash game loosely related to the SR universe and/or rules.

A belly button ring seems extravagant.
Larsine
...You just found Shadowrn exists again, and subscribed immediately.

Lars
lordnth
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Feb 2 2010, 04:09 AM) *

I told this to my wife while reading it. She looked at me crazy. "Why Japan" Without going to any books or resource I said "Becuase it's the first appearance of a Dragon!" Her crazy look went to 'You're Insane'
LOL

...you find one of the old FASA SR ciruit board promo pins and all you can think of is "Cool, my SR1 book must be around here somewhere..."
...you buy Popular Science or Popular Mechanics for SR ideas (I swear I saw the NightSky listed as a new concerpt car in the back of one of those).
nezumi
QUOTE (Larsine @ Feb 3 2010, 06:53 PM) *
...You just found Shadowrn exists again, and subscribed immediately.

Lars

"Again"?
crizh
...you laughed your ass off when the guy at the start of Fringe last week walked into VITAS Inc and promptly died from some hideous disease.
ker'ion
...you see someone fumbling with their laptop, planner and cellphone and start talking with them about PANs and how it would help them to get one.
Daylen
you keep a weapons cache in a 6" dia sealed plumbing pipe buried in your back yard or a nearby park just in case...

you shut off your normal cell phone pull the battery and pull out a prepaid one to talk about your next business or fun idea with your buddy who is doing the same thing. And afterwards the phone goes in the garbage....
Rystefn
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Feb 3 2010, 07:58 PM) *

Pics, or it didn't happen.
Karoline
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Feb 3 2010, 03:55 PM) *
Eh, I'd settle for a flash game loosely related to the SR universe and/or rules.

A belly button ring seems extravagant.

Well, there is Decker which seems to be based on SR3's decking system, there are a few MUDs based on SR3, and of course there is the old (Was it SEGA or NES?) shadowrun game which I really enjoyed even though I had no clue what I was doing when I played it for an hour or two at a friends when I was like... 9ish.

Still, something based on SR4 would be nice.
Rystefn
QUOTE (Karoline @ Feb 4 2010, 03:05 AM) *
Well, there is Decker which seems to be based on SR3's decking system, there are a few MUDs based on SR3, and of course there is the old (Was it SEGA or NES?) shadowrun game which I really enjoyed even though I had no clue what I was doing when I played it for an hour or two at a friends when I was like... 9ish.

SEGA... I want to say SNES as well, but I wouldn't swear to it. I had so much fun getting fragged repeatedly while trying to figure out what was going on in that game...
Saint Sithney
There were both an SNES and a Genesis game. [Genesis one was better imo]
Saint Sithney
I forget, is a double post one of those glitches in the Martix that means that someone just altered reality?
lonewolf23k
--- You know who "Renny" is, and why he used to live in a House on the Edge of the Matrix.
Neraph
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Feb 3 2010, 08:17 PM) *
There were both an SNES and a Genesis game. [Genesis one was better imo]

The SNES is now available as a free download emulator IIRC, and features the game in question.

... You read news articles about advances in genetic processes, cybernetics, and AR contacts, and think "It's about freaking time, I was afraid that we were going to be running behind schedule..."
Method
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Feb 2 2010, 01:09 AM) *
...You can go on for hours on the production values of Fanpro, Wizkids, and CGL.
I was going to say something about how you forgot FASA, but then I remembered- they had no production *value*. Damn books fell apart in your hands... kids these days... off my lawn.
Method
The Sega version was better, hands down. It was loyal to the PnP game right down to the weapon costs and ammo capacities.
Professor Evil Overlord
Yeah the Sega version was MUCH better. It not only followed the SR game mechanics but had tons of in universe references, especially if you were an old time SR player. I especially enjoyed the matrix systems - they were close enough to the old SR1/2 systems I even stole some of the system maps and used them in my table top game, good times...
Cardul
QUOTE (Professor Evil Overlord @ Feb 4 2010, 01:57 AM) *
Yeah the Sega version was MUCH better. It not only followed the SR game mechanics but had tons of in universe references, especially if you were an old time SR player. I especially enjoyed the matrix systems - they were close enough to the old SR1/2 systems I even stole some of the system maps and used them in my table top game, good times...

Oh! Cool! So I was not the only one who did that! My Decker player then HATED the very idea of running the
UCAS branch office in Seattle..hated it with a PASSION! Though I did soup up Renraku...it just did not feel like
the Black Tower in there....not enough Black IC
Draco18s
QUOTE (Karoline @ Feb 3 2010, 09:05 PM) *

You still kinda need permission to do it. wink.gif

Reminds me that there's also a book trilogy that I'd give my life to see as a movie. It was almost turned into one too.

Dragoncharm was fucking epic. I mean really, how often do you read a story where the last remnants of sentient life are murdering each other for what little magic is left in the world and using some of the most horrible things* to do it? I literally kept a list of named characters and crossed them off when they died. From an initial list of a half dozen (opening of the book, where there are roughly 10,000 individuals left in the world) the list grows to over 40 names (I don't think there's ever more than 20 named characters alive at any given moment) and by the end of the third book the entire population of the world numbers 25, 15 of which are un-named.

*Magical barrier around a "castle" with a magical trap laid out in front of the wall. 18 corpses litter the ground where they attempted to bypass and unravel the magic guarding the wall. The 19th attempt results in a successful disarmament (learning from the previous 18 failures) whereupon he bursts into flames and is reduced to a pile of dust before the construct disassembles itself.

No really. It required that someone sacrifice their life to disarm the trap.
BishopMcQ
*You are taking a shower with your partner and discuss Shadowrun Errata changes.
ker'ion
QUOTE (Neraph @ Feb 3 2010, 11:20 PM) *
... You read news articles about advances in genetic processes, cybernetics, and AR contacts, and think "It's about freaking time, I was afraid that we were going to be running behind schedule..."
I did this BEFORE I had ever even heard of Shadowrun, William Gibson or "Cyberpunk 2020 dead.gif ".
Delarn
QUOTE (Rystefn @ Feb 4 2010, 03:09 AM) *
SEGA... I want to say SNES as well, but I wouldn't swear to it. I had so much fun getting fragged repeatedly while trying to figure out what was going on in that game...

Snes was a better story then the SEGA one, but the Sega one had more content.
Delarn
.. You wish that december 21st of 2012 will be the awakening.
.. You Always wear a Sadowrun patch from BattleCorp.
.. You pass 40 hours to translate the SRM3 missions.
.. You think about soy when you cook at school. (or Job)
.. You ask your non-gamer friends if they voted for Dunkelzan back then !!!
Neraph
QUOTE (Neraph @ Feb 3 2010, 11:20 PM) *

Oh, and now we are getting closer to chimeric animals and DNArt.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (lonewolf23k @ Feb 3 2010, 10:31 PM) *
--- You know who "Renny" is, and why he used to live in a House on the Edge of the Matrix.

Oh gods yes.

You look at guns you own and translate them into SR terms
You look at folk lore/faerie tales and relate to the creatures in SR terms.
Every time some new high tech toy comeso ut you get nervous that we're creeping closer to SR tech levels.
You can't see a pork loin in the supermarket without thinking of the SR2 entry on BBQ golden boar in black cherry sauce
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012