Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Martial Arts And Melee Weapon Skills
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Neraph
QUOTE (toturi @ Feb 11 2010, 02:53 AM) *
When you are strong, appear weak.

I am especially strong because I appear weak - 5'8", 130 lbs. Short, small, 17 martial arts.

On capoeria, obviously it is good, just look at how often these two win their matches. Seriously, you people are arguing over a game. If you don't like capoeria, just don't give the specialization bonuses too often, that's punishment enough. There's no need to apply penalties as well.
Brazilian_Shinobi
Ok, this is all anecdotal information but I'll give my two nuyen.gif too.
I've practiced Judo and Capoeira for almost 4 years summed, mind you that both of them as SPORTS. Judo is quite inefective in a fight with someone who knows the most basic stance of fighting, me and my brother used to fight a lot on our teens and I always beat him using Judo moves, I mean, come on, judo moves are the easiest thing to dodge if you know what you are doing and I'm not even a good fighter, I admit that.
Now, capoeira I practiced even less, like 6-8 months and I dropped out because of the insanely strong legs you need to be really good.
Someone mentioned earlier on this thread about the queixada move. It is one of the most effective capoeira moves there is because you are using your whole body to create momentum and you don't need to do any of those dance moves to accomplish, just a ready stance; on a way more flashier example, it looks similar to Street Fighter Guile's special attack of holding down+up+kick.
Also, as Garou mentioned. Do you want realistic martial arts rules for RPG. Go play GURPS, it works quite well.

EDIT: Also, go watch the Besouro movie. It is the story of a kick-ass capoeirista of the 19th to the 20th century that beat the crap out of people. Mind you the movie TRIES to look like wusha movies like Crouchinh Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Hero, etc...
grendel504
"I want a realistic game, so you're not going to be supereffective at beating people up with capoeira or aikido or shotokan karate."

Ok, Ok Smokeskin I can understand you picking on Capoeira or Aikido; but you leave Shotokan out of this!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyoto_Machida Lyoto's Wikipedia entry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMYJc1OkttY Lyoto's career highlights
The Monk
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Feb 10 2010, 04:39 PM) *
What I said was, I wouldn't allow capoeira specialization bonuses to apply to fighting, but if they insisted on using capoeira moves, I'd hit them with a called shot penalty (and they'd also get their spec so a net -2 dice). That isn't modifiers galore, that is way of letting a player do something flashy at the cost of effectiveness.

Wouldn't it be reasonable to inform your players that capoeira is not an unarmed combat specialization? Since in your games it really isn't.

You can make it a gymnastics, etiquette, or a knowledge specialization usable when performing or dancing or just showing off.

The fact that it's a specialization in unarmed combat implies that the game assumes that it is effective in unarmed combat. If you house rule that it is ineffective in combat than it shouldn't be a specialization in unarmed combat.

I think that most of the people here is expressing how they would react if they were a player sitting at the table with you. Isn't it safe to assume that a character who has devoted time and effort training in combat has real world experience in doing so. I'm assuming that in your games the characters are running around shooting and punching people in the face, not sitting around in a dojo.

Telling a player that his specialization does not grant him a +2 but rather a -2 is not dickish because of your world views. It's dickish because you didn't inform him of your world views before he spent that Karma.
Tanegar
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Feb 11 2010, 05:48 AM) *
If capoeira evolves to be something different, then we're not talking capoira as we know it, but something that evolved out of it. I even specifically mentioned that if someone had a backstory of "capoeira brutalis" that developed into an effective martial art, that was something I could work with.

You're assuming that "capoeira brutalis" is not the default capoeira referred to in the book.
McCummhail
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Feb 11 2010, 05:48 AM) *
I've repeatedly asked for someone to demonstrate any sort of validation of the effectiveness of capoeira. No one has come forward with anything but that video of a rookie getting KOed by a spinning back kick. I can't find anything on the internet, and from my time training MA I haven't heard of anyone talking about capoeira as something that works. Why doesn't anyone present such info, if they're right and I'm wrong? Could it be that perhaps I really am right?
I haven't heard people with MA experience speak of its effectiveness. I keep asking where they get this info, or what their experience is, and then they get all vague. I suspect they have neither practical nor theoretical knowledge. If they do, bring it forward, I've asked for it several times. I've found capoeira experts who don't use capoeira when they fight, no one replied to that. The video everyone liked so much, no one spotted how poor skill the opponent had, and now they just ignore it.
Please, present some actual arguments - there must be a reason why you think capoeira is effective.

I take it you chose not to read my previous post?
It would also appear that you have a severe bias against "traditional" martial arts and "soft" martial arts.

Capoeira Regional as codified by Mestre Bimba includes grappling (takedowns, mounts, joint locks, and throws), close strikes (palm / elbow / knee strikes and headbutting) and the solid kicks it is most famous for.
Bimba also cleaned up the art and focused on making it a respectable and viable martial art.
How it was in the days when it was "vicious", "criminal" and "could defeat squads of armed men" is at this point largely academic. I am curious what it was like, but that may have been mostly exaggeration.

I won't waste your time or mine linking MMA videos of capoeira. The few fighters who use capoeira in MMA effectively use it for it's excellent kick structure and toss the rest out the window to focus on grappling techniques or boxing techniques. You could watch Andre Gusmao or Silva or others but you might not see Capoeira there.
That doesn't mean that the kick he is using isnt a 'Martello' though.
I have seen no Krav Maga MMA fighters. No Taijiquan. No drunken boxing. No Hapkido. I don't doubt the capacity of these or other martial arts, but they may not have a place in the sport of MMA.
My experience with capoeira gave me confidence in my ability to defend myself more so than my 'karate' experience, but like anything else that has as much to do with the teacher, the school and the circumstance.

If you want an effective fighter and something to watch here is Anderson da Silva demonstrating capoeira techniques.

In this video, Mestre Espirro Mirim mixes work on target mitts with his usual playful showboating.

Even though this video is a choreographed scene from a Tony Jaa movie, either one of them could easily kick my butt or trounce gangers in the barrens (plus this scene is a really well shot and fun to watch).

QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Feb 11 2010, 04:36 AM) *
Yeah, capoeira and aikido practitioners have been lulling us into a false sense of security for centuries wink.gif
Actually you are completely right about Aikido. Aikido, Judo, Kendo and the other Japanese traditional sports are modern sport interpretations of traditional martial arts. These three arts are also all linked to elements of the fighting technique system that involved the traditional Japanese weapons, such as the Katana. Generally speaking if a Japanese system calls itself "~jutsu" as opposed to "~do" it implies more focus on combat applications. Hence, Aikido (which focuses on health and defense) has been lulling people into a false sense of security about Aikijutsu since WWII.

If you want to know something in particular maybe myself or one of the others could answer it.
Civility and respect are essential everywhere but in a fight for your life.
Smokeskin
QUOTE (grendel504 @ Feb 11 2010, 09:14 PM) *
"I want a realistic game, so you're not going to be supereffective at beating people up with capoeira or aikido or shotokan karate."

Ok, Ok Smokeskin I can understand you picking on Capoeira or Aikido; but you leave Shotokan out of this!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyoto_Machida Lyoto's Wikipedia entry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMYJc1OkttY Lyoto's career highlights

Hehe. It says he took up muai thai to prepare for MMA, and is a BJJ black belt too. Shotokan karate looks A LOT different from what he uses in that video. I don't think he's using his shotokan specialization wink.gif
Smokeskin
QUOTE (The Monk @ Feb 11 2010, 09:40 PM) *
Wouldn't it be reasonable to inform your players that capoeira is not an unarmed combat specialization? Since in your games it really isn't.

You can make it a gymnastics, etiquette, or a knowledge specialization usable when performing or dancing or just showing off.

The fact that it's a specialization in unarmed combat implies that the game assumes that it is effective in unarmed combat. If you house rule that it is ineffective in combat than it shouldn't be a specialization in unarmed combat.

I think that most of the people here is expressing how they would react if they were a player sitting at the table with you. Isn't it safe to assume that a character who has devoted time and effort training in combat has real world experience in doing so. I'm assuming that in your games the characters are running around shooting and punching people in the face, not sitting around in a dojo.

Telling a player that his specialization does not grant him a +2 but rather a -2 is not dickish because of your world views. It's dickish because you didn't inform him of your world views before he spent that Karma.

Of course I let them know it. I even let them pick situations where their spec should apply. The style just has to fit the effects, which means you're not getting +2 dice while doing aikido or handstand kicks.
Smokeskin
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Feb 11 2010, 10:51 PM) *
You're assuming that "capoeira brutalis" is not the default capoeira referred to in the book.

There's no capoeira specialization mentioned in any book that I know of. As I wrote before, as per RAW I'm fine with qualities applying, you can fight effectively but rely on a few applicable special tricks and extreme athleticism you've developed from years of training. That's different than using the spec, which by RAW says that when using the spec, it has to apply to the situation, and capoeira doesn't apply to real fighting.

Qualities always apply, specs don't.
Smokeskin
QUOTE (McCummhail @ Feb 12 2010, 03:55 AM) *
I won't waste your time or mine linking MMA videos of capoeira. The few fighters who use capoeira in MMA effectively use it for it's excellent kick structure and toss the rest out the window to focus on grappling techniques or boxing techniques. You could watch Andre Gusmao or Silva or others but you might not see Capoeira there.
That doesn't mean that the kick he is using isnt a 'Martello' though.

I did watch some Gusmao movies, and I didn't see capoeira. As you write, they toss most of it out the window when they fight. To me, that means they're not using capoeira specialization. The stuff they do retain from capoeira, per SR4 rules would be covered by having capoeira qualities.

QUOTE (McCummhail @ Feb 12 2010, 03:55 AM) *
I have seen no Krav Maga MMA fighters. No Taijiquan. No drunken boxing. No Hapkido. I don't doubt the capacity of these or other martial arts, but they may not have a place in the sport of MMA.

If you take Krav Maga, I've trained it, and they're very open about their style focusing little on 1 on 1 fighting. In my SR game, a Krav Maga spec would work against single, multiple and armed attackers (most MAs only apply against single unarmed attackers), and apply either the +2 dice to either all defense tests for civilian KM and +2 dice to all tests for the first round of combat for military KM. Those bonuses aren't too hot for MMA.
Rotbart van Dainig
Just there are no "<insert Martial Art here>" Specs. There is just a general "Martial Arts" spec.
Smokeskin
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Feb 12 2010, 02:07 PM) *
Just there are no "<insert Martial Art here>" Specs. There is just a general "Martial Arts" spec.

It isn't exactly clear in the main rulebook, but Arsenal pg 156 makes it quite clear that you pick a style.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Feb 12 2010, 03:22 PM) *
It isn't exactly clear in the main rulebook, but Arsenal pg 156 makes it quite clear that you pick a style.

If anything about this specialization would be clear, it wouldn't be this horrible.
Adarael
I need more goddamn popcorn if this thread is gonna continue.
McCummhail
QUOTE (Adarael @ Feb 12 2010, 12:10 PM) *
I need more goddamn popcorn if this thread is gonna continue.
Is goddamn popcorn a marketing term for reduced fat, no butter flavor popcorn?
Adarael
It's popcorn tthat can beat you up, because you know capoeira and it knows a *real* martial art.
It'll punch the shit outa your mouth. PUNCH IT WITH FLAVOR.

(I would apologize for my madness, but I've been coding age gates in C# all goddamn week and I'm not a dev, so I'm going crazy.)
McCummhail
QUOTE (Adarael @ Feb 12 2010, 12:21 PM) *
It's popcorn tthat can beat you up, because you know capoeira and it knows a *real* martial art.
It'll punch the shit outa your mouth. PUNCH IT WITH FLAVOR.

Aaaaaahhh! Chuck Norris flavored popcorn!

QUOTE (Adarael @ Feb 12 2010, 12:21 PM) *
(I would apologize for my madness, but I've been coding age gates in C# all goddamn week and I'm not a dev, so I'm going crazy.)
At least you don't have to code in VB to improve an excel database,
or collate data from a ridiculous archive of flat files.
If in fact you do, then you have my sympathy.
Adarael
Thankfully not. But I admit, it would help my work-related endeavours if I actually, you know, KNEW C#. Which isn't really the case. wink.gif
Rystefn
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Feb 10 2010, 12:18 PM) *
Here's a video of a guy really good at slapping: http://www.yourdailymedia.com/media/117621.../Knock_Out_Slap

Is that enough for Unarmed Combat (Slapping +2) to be viable?

Hell yes. There's a reason most martial arts use open-hand techniques. I'd call it no different than specializing in kicks, punches, grappling, or headbutts.

So, just out of curiosity - do you penalize Ares Firefight for total crap and useless in a real fight? Because a gunfighter whirling through a melee with a pistol in each hand while punching, kicking, and shooting is a lot less applicable to a real fight than the most showy Capoeira moves...
Sixgun_Sage
QUOTE (Rystefn @ Feb 12 2010, 08:06 PM) *
Hell yes. There's a reason most martial arts use open-hand techniques. I'd call it no different than specializing in kicks, punches, grappling, or headbutts.

So, just out of curiosity - do you penalize Ares Firefight for total crap and useless in a real fight? Because a gunfighter whirling through a melee with a pistol in each hand while punching, kicking, and shooting is a lot less applicable to a real fight than the most showy Capoeira moves...

Someone has never seen Equilibrium!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012