Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ghoul eating Ghoul?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
pbangarth
QUOTE (Method @ Mar 5 2010, 04:04 PM) *
And what would you call that restaurant?
Don't know about name, but how about the trideo ad:"Have your friends over for dinner!"
Karoline
Hmm... Don't forget about the "Look what the runners dragged in" special.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Delarn @ Mar 2 2010, 02:03 PM) *
Hehe. I have instored that in my games, when ever you see a gnawer it means there are ghouls near. They live together like an happy family.

I did say that the two communities were tight. What this does to the mental state of either (or both) is best left to a different discussion.

Oh, and for my part, I agree with AH: Yes, ghouls can eat other ghouls for their Dietary Requirement. Also doesn't help with the psychological state.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Mar 5 2010, 05:39 AM) *
On another note – what CAN Ghouls eat?

The way I read the Ghoul rules in RC is that if they eat meat they can only eat it raw without getting sick.

Back in the SR3 days, I asked Mike Mulvihill this selfsame question; I had a ghoul player in my game who wanted to make a filet of dwarf sandwich, and I wasn't sure if he could actually eat bread. Mike said he could. There's some implication in Dunkelzahn's will that they can't, but it was pretty vague.

For me, though, it makes them a good deal more horrific if they can't. Depends on the tone I want for a particular game/campaign, but in general, I tend to say that they can.
hobgoblin
i suspect its a case of "they can, but they get nothing from it". That is, eating something thats not meat will not make them sick or anything, but their altered body cant draw anything useful from the activity.

i think some variants on the vampire concept say that vampires gets seriously ill soon after attempting to consume food or alcohol, but i dont think the SR version follows that line of thinking. As such, i suspect that neither is it a problem for ghouls.
Dahrken
Since RC says "strictly carnivorous", I'd expect a ghoul to have troubles digesting more than small amounts of non-meat food. The bread in a single sandwich would probably be OK, but I'd expect the typical ghoul (without Digestive Expansion) not to be able to stomach more that about 10-15% of it's daily food intake in non-meat products.

While vampires need a strictly blood-based diet (and can expect trouble keeping alcohol down), nosferatus while needing some amount of metahuman blood are fully omnivores and can drink and eat as any human.
The Jopp
Hmm, apart from dietary requirements - If someone with astral hazing, or an area with enough background count and goes into close combat with ghouls - and get bitten...

...Will they be infected by something who's magic reaches zero and should, at that moment not have any infection power due to temporary magic loss?
hobgoblin
given that the infection is carried by a actual virus, i would say that the infection still happens, but the symptoms do not show up until one leave the zone. Still, that way of thinking about it makes one wonder if one can stop the transformation by putting a infected person into a sustained astral static zone.
Karoline
Vampires are exclusively hemovores and
cannot hold down other food: alcohol in particular is very disruptive
to their systems

I think you're thinking about some other kind of vampires. SR vampires will get sick if they eat anything that isn't blood. Seems to make me think ghouls would also get sick if they ate anything that wasn't meat.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Karoline @ Mar 8 2010, 05:54 PM) *
I think you're thinking about some other kind of vampires. SR vampires will get sick if they eat anything that isn't blood. Seems to make me think ghouls would also get sick if they ate anything that wasn't meat.

thanks for the quote, seems i got my vamps mixed up...

ah, i see now, they introduced that in runners companion, while i still had the vampire description from SR4 in the back of my mind.
The Jopp
Hmm it seems I was wrong.

It is required a Deltaware Digestive Expansion for Ghouls to be able to eat regular food without getting ill (dietary requirements still apply).

But what about Ogre Stomach changeling quality - wouldn't that function in the same way?
Karoline
Vampires become sick within the hour if they consume
anything but blood, and they have particularly bad reactions
to alcohol (treat as Nausea, p. 245).

From SR4

I'd imagine that ogre stomach would work the same as digestive expansion, as they have near identical descriptions.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Karoline @ Mar 8 2010, 06:33 PM) *
From SR4

I'd imagine that ogre stomach would work the same as digestive expansion, as they have near identical descriptions.

well i'll be. i swear i didnt see it when i read the description just a few minutes ago. I stand corrected, again.
Karoline
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Mar 8 2010, 12:37 PM) *
well i'll be. i swear i didnt see it when i read the description just a few minutes ago. I stand corrected, again.

I suppose I've simply researched it before as I've actually played a couple of vampires before. They can be fun, but the BP cost is a huge pain.
The Jopp
Another fun little scrap is that Ogre Stomach is compatible with Clean Metabolism, something Digestive Expansion is NOT.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012